Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,914 members, 7,810,511 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) (77756 Views)

Deposed Emir Sanusi On Exile In Loko, Nasarawa Village / Muhammad Ali Met Gowon In Nigeria In 1971 (Throwback Video) / "I Will Not Go On Exile" – Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by attackgat: 9:31pm On Aug 04, 2017
enemyofprogress:
blame your brother for the death of your people

We dont blame him, he fought for our freedom. Fighting for freedom is not without casualties
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by enemyofprogress: 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2017
attackgat:

We dont blame him, he fought for our freedom. Fighting for freedom is not without casualties
and I guess he got the so called freedom for you

6 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by IamLovely: 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2017
saintandsinnerz:

Lol, how did your father, a Yoruba man fight for Biafra? Just because of likes you're claiming what your father cannot do and will never do? Ok continue

just keep shut please..

Because your father didn't fight doesn't mean other peoples father didn't fight that starvation war...

As for the likes i got it.... So hug transformer

I won't sit and watch any of my siblings participate in this kanu biafra.. Never cos is a useless fight with a silly meaning..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by Seunjungle(m): 10:01pm On Aug 04, 2017
Fela Anikulapo rocked pass Ojukwu

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by attackgat: 10:05pm On Aug 04, 2017
enemyofprogress:
and I guess he got the so called freedom for you

He didnt but the fact that he tried means more than.the fact that he lost.

In Africa, very few men fight for their people. The fact that Ojukwu tried is why his people love him.

All others after him just shouted "one Nigeria" and ate money which is the easy route.
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by heo88(m): 10:11pm On Aug 04, 2017
mmb:

Interesting comments on this thread, including the one about him being a coward for abandoning his people. I'm not sure if I would have used that term, but based on the events of history, it's impossible for me to argue against this.

What people aren't taking into account are the real imperatives for the initial Biafra secession attempt. Whilst the slaughters/programs of 1953 and then 1966 as retribution for the unsuccessful coup attempt by Chukwuma kaduna nzeogwu underscored the need for a safe haven for igbos from the North, there are other factors which often aren't covered:

Ojukwu as many know, was raised in the North and had hausa orientation; similar to Nzeogwu. Such was his orientation, he was well acquainted with their women, reportedly even fathering a hausa/igbo hybrid daughter. Furthermore, he was ajebutter and schooled at Kings College in Lagos, Epsom College in the UK (just outside of London and with very expensive school fees) and then from there attended the renown Oxford University (Lincoln college to be precise). As you can see from this, it is understandable why many questioned his igbo credentials.

Now this fact may be a little less known, but Ojukwu's father was Louis Odimegwu Ojukwu who was a very wealthy man and the founder of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. When you consider that oil was found in Ologbiri LGA - in present day Bayelsa state (circa 1956), which incidentally was part of the original Biafran territory, you can see the 'delicious' opportunities that this presented for the Ojukwu family, especially when you consider all the oil blocks in this region which would have been theirs in the event of a successful secession.

In considering all of the above, keep in mind that Ojukwu was educated to Master's level in the 1950s (unheard of for most Nigerians or people in general at that time), he was a very strategic and intelligent man, and there's no doubt that there would have been other key considerations beyond securing a safe haven for vulnerable igbos based in other parts of Nigeria.

There's more to the above, but let's park it here for now. With regards to Nnamdi Kanu, I hate to say this but I am sceptical about his true motivations for the contemporary Biafran agitation. For one, he has made a number of aimless, provocative ramblings; perhaps this is to test his level of influence, then again who knows. However, would-be Biafrans should ask themselves what he has to offer them before throwing their weight behind him. What sound or remotely sensible economic policies has he proposed?? Meanwhile people are working themselves up into a frenzy, all in the name of identity politics. All I'll say is that make sure you know what you're getting in exchange for supporting him and my advice is to avoid being a 'political chess piece'; you're better than that.

In closing, wars and civil unrests are ALWAYS about securing resources for the victors. If you consider British efforts in the early 19th century to secure Nigeria as a constituent part of the British empire, they were able to neutralise the Northerners, yorubas/midwesterners and the easterners (including Rivers/Bayelsa and Cross Rivers/Akwa Ibom before identity politics led to them assuming a 'south-south' identity) because of the more sophisticated weapons they produced in South London, UK (Woolwich Arsenal to be precise and their workers who manufactured the weapons were the first players for the team we now know as 'Arsenal'), and the motive was resource control. If we look at Ojukwu's efforts, this was motivated by resource control; any civil war (particularly in Africa) or colonial expansion recorded in the last 300 years, has always, always been about resource control. A new Biafra wouldn't bring about peace, but rather it would foreshadow more bloodshed and war; just take a cursory glance at the recently-created South Sudan and it becomes clearer what I'm referring to.

CC. Zehner

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by Rexnegro(m): 10:12pm On Aug 04, 2017
attackgat:
The young boy is Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Jr. He is now the sole administrator of Nnewi Local Govt

For those who say that Ojukwu escaped with his family leaving all others, I ask you.

What would have been gained by Ojukwu staying back to be slaughtered when the war had virtually ended?
true leader stay And fight the war himself started...not run away like The coward That he's... col fajuyi stayed And stand tall that instead of his people to Be touched he decided to stay And died for his people...that's indeed a true leader even to The point of dying...didn't Mandela stayed, went to prison for a whooping 27yrs? why didn't he ran away? Because he's not a coward like ojukwu na. Igbos Are naturally a trouble maker And bad in resolving it.

6 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by Yungknyyght(m): 10:15pm On Aug 04, 2017
Jaideyone:
mor0n and you were ib coma when your fellow drug mules mentioned Abiola right?

Lowlifes like you are only mouthed online and I wouldn't bring myself down to your level....keep being stupid till you die..anuofia
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by Elxandre(m): 10:17pm On Aug 04, 2017
If a civil war happens in Nigeria, Nairaland would have contributed to it.

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by kaycshine(f): 10:23pm On Aug 04, 2017
] anyone that decides to runaway after leading 2m of his followers to their death is nothing but a coward y u come carry d matter for head like this. Y e dey pain u like this nah OK sorry goand rest o. Ikemba Ojukwu odogwu dike may ur manhood continue to live long ��

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by afongha: 10:27pm On Aug 04, 2017
Wiseandtrue:
[s]You can try as much as you can to taint the image of Ojukwu but truth be said, Ojukwu is gonebut his legacy is still alive!

There was a reason he started this agitation, long after he is gone, the agitation has also resurrected shocked shocked shocked

Why

Because these generation has also seen what Ojukwu saw shocked shocked shocked

Only a paid AGENT or anyone that has no truth in him or her with not reason with the Igbos undecided

Their story reminds me of the Israelites and the Egyptians. While the Israelites were doing hard Labour, the Egyptians were enjoying their labour. It wasn't enough, fear due to the increase in the population made the Egyptians slaughter them undecided

Today, the South South are the ones with the oil but inadequate environment/ poor people everywhere you go, while thr Norths are the ones with tge OIL Blocks!

it wasn't enough, the fulani herdmen, religious fanatics are toying with their lives while they complain, the president is silent undecided

If you are in your normal senses do you expect them to keep quiet too

History is about to repeat itself again undecided
Only that this time the :

Israelites are the South and those who see the truth for what it is!

Egyptians are the North/paid agents

Buhari is the Pharaoh

Osinbanjo is the messenger of Pharaoh (Buhari)

and The Moses is Nnamdi Kanu

We all knew what happened to Pharoah and his likes!

Let's watch how it unfolds again in this history that is about to be repeated!...[/s]

WTF shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by supereagle(m): 10:29pm On Aug 04, 2017
He died slow death because of his crime leading ndi Igbo to death and cowardly ran away. Hitler led people to war,but he didn't run away.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by afongha: 10:35pm On Aug 04, 2017
wingman:
[s]Ignorant fools will continue ranting over what they do not know or understand. Do you all think that as shrewd as Igbos are they will easily forgive and elevate Ojukwu to the status of a legend if he truly ran away?
The worst fate and humiliation that would have befallen Igbos would be for Nigeria to capture or kill Ojukwu. The man was practically bundled into the plane in Ulli airstrip because he never wanted to leave. Just as declaration of Biafra was the collective will of Igbos, so too was Ojukwu 's departure for Ivory coast.
You ignorant kids can continue writing all the rubbish you want cause you do not know or understand what the man represents to Igbos.[/s]

And your 'legend' came back to contest for elections in the country he fought to disintegrate, only to shamefully lose to less known opponents on each occasion.

Yes, I know its extremely discomfiting to realize your so called 'Legend' is just that - a legend, i.e fiction, fable, imaginary, etc. The earlier you realize the better.

8 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by Jaideyone(m): 10:38pm On Aug 04, 2017
Yungknyyght:

Lowlifes like you are only mouthed online and I wouldn't bring myself down to your level....keep being stupid till you die..anuofia
were
Eran Ogun
Get lost

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by enemyofprogress: 10:40pm On Aug 04, 2017
attackgat:

He didnt but the fact that he tried means more than.the fact that he lost.

In Africa, very few men fight for their people. The fact that Ojukwu tried is why his people love him.

All others after him just shouted "one Nigeria" and ate money which is the easy route.
loooooooooong yawns

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by afongha: 10:53pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ngozi123:

You say this but just think of how many people from across the country have died for 'Nigerian unity', and by that I mean 'keeping Nigeria as corrupt and immoral as possible so that the elite can steal (literally and figuratively speaking) food from the mouths of the poor'. It would probably exceed the number of people who died in the Biafran war. Deaths from inadequate healthcare alone should be in the millions by now.

Haven't your leaders sacrificed you and your people in this way?

Geez. You guys still don't get it.

Nothing like sacrifice here. Its betrayal, pure and simple. Treachery of the highest kind.

It was bad enough that he ran away during the heat of the war after leading millions of Igbo lives to needless slaughter, BUT FAR WORSE that he came back to contest elections in the VERY same country he fought to disintegrate!!

That is the HEIGHT of betrayal.

In fact I could use a lot of choice words to describe his action but I restrain myself in effort not to malign the dead. lets live it at that.

7 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by potent5(m): 10:57pm On Aug 04, 2017
Thegamingorca:

Your definition of a great man is skewed and partial...

Ojukwu d bull swore to go to war with biafrans and die by their side.

Only for him to lead his blind entourage to the slaughter house and hand to his enemies, his father's machete...

Left to me you are all d same...you won't hesitate to abandon ur fellow kinsmen when the pan garners more heat.

To think u can call such a coward ur hero is the height of ur shameless stupendity.

Biafrans are not one...clearly proven by Ojukwu himself...

Even if u do secede, you lot will end up killing each other like the animals u really are.
Ojukwu was a great man and a hero. He led Igbos to war, went into exile, came back and still led his people. As the heir to the wealthiest Nigerian at the time, he was not greedy and only interested in securing his wealth which was mostly in enemy territory, Lagos. He stood like a man and said enough; you cannot continue to kill my brethren. What is traitor-like in that. He did not reason like your brothers today who boot-lick just to amass wealth at the expense of his kinsmen.

Anyway, I wonder why you are crying more than the bereaved. If, as you allege, Ojukwu abandoned us, how is it your problem? It's none of your business. Shogbo?

If the Igbos had a warped sense of reasoning like you and your ilks they would not have given him a rousing welcome the day he came back from exile. And today, that APGA is still standing is because of Ojukwu.

Why don't you mind your business and ruminate over the cowardly act of awolowo who took rat poison, and the more cowardly act of his brothers who are too ashamed to tell the world how their hero died. We all know how Ojukwu, Fajuyi, Fela, Azikiwe, etc died. But how did Awo die? Do a research on this it will do you good.
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by luluman: 11:13pm On Aug 04, 2017
fk001:
Run away soldier bad commander, coward!!!
On the contrary, he is not a coward. He only knows the right to back off when things pass him power unlike the Cow.....nu
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by luluman: 11:17pm On Aug 04, 2017
ngeneukwuewuGOAT:
UR OWN ATE OTAPIAPIA AND DIED A HUMILIATING DEATH. EWU
You still have mouth to talk? better shut up.Mumu

4 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by scholes0(m): 11:36pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ohhh what a coward !

7 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by peegirl(f): 12:34am On Aug 05, 2017
Jaideyone:
anyone that decides to runaway after leading 2m of his followers to their death is nothing but a coward

Gram!

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 12:50am On Aug 05, 2017
muller101:
East west thread. Watch out how they will disgrace themselves on this thread

You dey mind den? Their pettiness is really annoying.
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:00am On Aug 05, 2017
attackgat:

You are making a mistake, Hittler fought a war of agression to create a German empire. When Germany was about to lose the war, he shot himself. Hittler had no other choice. There was no country he could have gone to and the world would not have been looking for him. Mussolini was captured and killed as he tried to escape. These men did not give their life ti anything, death was their way out of a tight situation

Ojukwu on the other hand flew into exile, was warmly recieved. While in exile, he became an international business man and travelled all over Europe and America a free man except in Nigeria

Effiong had nothing to fear, he called for a cease fire to armed struggle. He was just no 2 man and and not hated as much as Ojukwu. Effiong contacted Obasunjo and told him they were ready to throw in the towel and that was it. If Ojukwu had done that, he would have faced firing squad.

Onwuatuegwu was just someone who refused to accept that the war was over. He should have melted into the bushes and reappared when the coast was clear just like other Biafran commanders did. But he had other plans.

Heroes fight for their cause, but if that cause is facing certain defeat, there is no point throwing ones life away if it will make no difference.

Wrong!!! You simply don't start what you can't finish. That's part of being a leader. That's why they say a captain goes down with his ship. He doesnt jump on the first life boat leaving others behind. He stays till the very end.

A good commander looks out for his soldiers and he tries not to put them in harms way if need be. That's why they say war should be the last resort: In other words after you've exhausted every avenue which ojukwu did not. His ego simply won't allow an officer lower in rank like Gowon to be head of state and he put his personal feelings over the interest of the majority but some of you are so blinded by tribalism and hatred for your fellow man that you won't admit this.

There is a reason why they say you should never put someone with an axe to grind in a position of authority because his desire for vengeance might cloud his judgement and he might pursue his own agenda over serving the greater good.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:05am On Aug 05, 2017
wingman:
Ignorant fools will continue ranting over what they do not know or understand. Do you all think that as shrewd as Igbos are they will easily forgive and elevate Ojukwu to the status of a legend if he truly ran away?
The worst fate and humiliation that would have befallen Igbos would be for Nigeria to capture or kill Ojukwu. The man was practically bundled into the plane in Ulli airstrip because he never wanted to leave. Just as declaration of Biafra was the collective will of Igbos, so too was Ojukwu 's departure for Ivory coast.
You ignorant kids can continue writing all the rubbish you want cause you do not know or understand what the man represents to Igbos.

Well he shouldn't have started what he couldn't finish.

5 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:06am On Aug 05, 2017
initiate:
he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day

but this runaway warrior no get chance to fight again o

Wrong!! Don't finish what you can't start.

Suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand?
If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace.

Luke 14:31 - 32

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:17am On Aug 05, 2017
Ngozi123:

Absolutely nothing would have been gained. 'They' will ignore that though as it doesn't fit their narrative.

As for Ojukwu, may his soul rest in peace. The man did something that not many Igbo leaders are willing to do in this day and age, even if he was a bit naïve at times.

My sister you don't start nothing you can't finish.

For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war - Proverbs 24:6

4 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:19am On Aug 05, 2017
rinzaugustine:
seun has lost nairaland by allowing kids typing with their mum's phone and without any purchasing power chant tribal and divisive songs on nairaland when they have zero percent knowledge of nigeria's history.I wonder any right thinking entrepreneur that will pay tangible money to advertise his/her products on nairaland

Wet in concern Seun? All he cares is about clicks and comments.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:22am On Aug 05, 2017
BroZuma:

That is what shocks me the most.

Where did it happen?
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:37am On Aug 05, 2017
muffyt05:

I don talk am,all of una be mumu,na your own even worry me pass. Can you even believe yourself,so you're telling me Ojukwu's life was greater than millions of your grandfathers and mothers he wasted,which kind sense be this for God's sake? Ojukwu was a rookie general who did not evaluate the collateral damage of the war he went into,even though he fought against all odds(kudos to him), but you don't fight a war you can't win,its a normal principle. Even after fighting,the Chinese will always say 'death before dishonour',meaning I will rather die than be disgraced. If Ojukwu was really fighting a just or general cause, answer the following questions (1) why run away when connered? (2) Why run away after leading millions of your people to death? (3) Why come back to contest election in the same country he wanted out from? (4) Why collect military pension from the same country he hated? I can go on and on asking questions you have no answers to. You claimed he was revered by his people,Why did the same people reject him at the polls on three occasions?

#FACTS except for the fact that he was not a general.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:40am On Aug 05, 2017
Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:42am On Aug 05, 2017
potent5:

To you he might be a traitor, but to me he is a great man. Regarding the Ikemba a great man or traitor depends on the side you are on.

The first high profile traitor to be convicted in Nigeria was Awolowo; he was convicted for trying to topple the government of the day in the 60s. He had treason running in his blood and eventually killed himself just to escape the consequences of another treason committed by him in the 80s

Killed himself?? Your knowledge of history sure is skewed.

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu With His Children While On Exile In Ivory Coast 1971 (Throwback Photo) by davidif: 1:45am On Aug 05, 2017
saintandsinnerz:

Lol, how did your father, a Yoruba man fight for Biafra? Just because of likes you're claiming what your father cannot do and will never do? Ok continue

Actually there were a lot of Yoruba that fought for Viagra like Benjamin adekunle, ademola adegboyega, Victor banjo, Alanni akinrinade and several others and this guys were actually the most highly revered fighters who fought with distinction. Know your history boy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dog Joins Peter Obi Rally To Ward Off Bats In Lagos (Pictured) / Nigeria Police Accused Of Photoshopping This Picture / Designer Emeka Opara Measures Tinubu's Dress Size (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.