Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,882 members, 7,813,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand (184151 Views)

Ondo State's Sunshine Travels: 8 Things You Should Know (Photos) / Any One In New Zealand And Living There / New Zealand Adds Prostitution To List Of Employment Skills For Immigrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (54) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by femijck(m): 11:02pm On Jul 25, 2019
Jayce01:
Hi everyone, please I'd like to ask
BTW New zealand and finland which is a better option? Especially for a student, who's looking to take up part time jobs, maybe one or two while going to school?
Economically Europe and Most Europeans countries are a bigger market but you might face Language barrier and other things faced by people of colour all around the world.

On the other hand, NZ is a smaller market, no major language barrier, unemployment rate is less than 5% so which means u will always get something to do while studying. Kiwis are generally welcoming no matter where u from. But as a student visa holder, u can only work 20hrs/ week.

Hope this is helpful

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by Eddy45: 8:38pm On Jul 26, 2019
ugsams:

What are you going to do in Fiji? Have you been there before? Do you know anyone there?

Pls tell me the route you took from Nigeria to fiji island
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by Jayce01: 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2019
femijck:
Economically Europe and Most Europeans countries are a bigger market but you might face Language barrier and other things faced by people of colour all around the world.

On the other hand, NZ is a smaller market, no major language barrier, unemployment rate is less than 5% so which means u will always get something to do while studying. Kiwis are generally welcoming no matter where u from. But as a student visa holder, u can only work 20hrs/ week.

Hope this is helpful

Yes. God bless you. Thanks

And for someone who would want to move to US or Canada after studies, which of them would you advise to opt for?

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by davodyguy: 7:47am On Jul 27, 2019
femijck:

Hope this is helpful
Oga, you didn't comment on my post for visa denial for a colleague the second time
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by ugsams(m): 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2019
Jayce01:
Hi everyone, please I'd like to ask
BTW New zealand and finland which is a better option? Especially for a student, who's looking to take up part time jobs, maybe one or two while going to school?

This is subjective as it will depend on your preference and circumstances in either of the country. Both of them have their Pros and Cons. Just like Femi said, Finland will offer you more access to the European market/Countries. This is because of Finland being an EU/Schengen country, you can travel freely and live within the Schengen area and if you ever become their citizen it means the entire EU countries.

However, as a stand alone countries or maybe moving to any of them as a student, I will say that New Zealand is better if you don't mind the expensive tuition fees here. New Zealand is more interesting than Finland, beautiful nature and heaps of outdoor activities. The weather here is way better than Finland, the students have more opportunities here (I know this because I know people who studied or still studying in Finland so their experiences and economic status formed the basis of my judgement), Almost everyone here speaks English so it's easier to settle in and integrate faster. Kiwis are some of the most polite people on earth. I also think you can make more money here and save better with a good strategy.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by ugsams(m): 10:07pm On Jul 27, 2019
Eddy45:
@ugsams
Just going on holiday,feel free to tell me all you know and the route to follow

I'm sorry but the route I used won't be of any benefit to you because I traveled with Fiji Airways from Sydney to Nadi which is just a few hours.

I'm sorry if this will sound like me judging you, but I just can't help this feeling that you're not traveling for holiday. We all have our bucket list, but you don't just pick up a random place which is far off and isolated and say you want to go for holiday there. Your questions are not specific as someone who knows what he is doing. Have a rethink bro, because the amount you will spend on return ticket to Fiji is gonna be enough for you to travel to a better country with a good strategy and planning. I hope you'll understand that I genuinely care as a brother which is why I'm saying all these.

Do you know that some Nigerian villages are more developed than many of the big towns there? The weather is tropical just like Naija, they still farm with cutlass, Fiji time makes African time a joke (Google Fiji time or check YouTube).

I wish I can post some videos here sha

If at the end of the day you still want to visit Fiji, feel free to check this site https://www.fiji.travel/information/getting-to-fiji for a list of flights and airlines that comes into Fiji. Check the route one after the other and individual airlines mentioned, you might be able to come up with something that might work for you.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by ugsams(m): 10:10pm On Jul 27, 2019
davodyguy:

Oga, you didn't comment on my post for visa denial for a colleague the second time

My brother the visa denial thing just weak person oo, even me self see the matter.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by femijck(m): 6:43am On Jul 28, 2019
I can only say congratz to those who got theirs. Nobody can guarantee the outcome of any visa.In all honesty I didn’t support the second application because it has a very little chance. U need to get it right the first time. If denied, give it sometimes and claim your circumstances have changed. But because of your seminar date fast approaching, this kind of advice isn’t for your group.

A Nigerian guy is legally married to a kiwi, he lives in Brazil and the lady lives in NZ, the lady and her mum had visited him.... she’s re-visited several times but still he’s been denied ordinary temporary entry visa upto 6x. Now the lady had relocated to live with him in Brazil, so he can reapply whenever he qualifies for a Residence visa. Why am I saying this? It’s just to show a lot have changed in the last couple of years. Never use to be this hard. But people have taken too much advantage of NZ relaxed immigration rules and the new government is trying to correct that.

Many issues going on with migration all over the world and NZ is not exceptional. Many Europeans migrants are also finding it difficult to get a permanent stay in NZ now. So they ain’t targeting any particular race. It’s just what it is for now.

Cheers
davodyguy:

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by davodyguy: 11:48am On Jul 28, 2019
Thanks for your comment.

I have some things to say, but so I don't sound racists, I would not say it here in the open, maybe to your mail.

It's quite unfortunate how they treat Nigerians.

In 2017 precisely in July, I was denied AU visa (my application was submitted online and treated in SA)

The officer said I didn't provide evidence that I've attended a similar conference before in a comparable country. He denied me on 27th July, I reapplied on 31st July and sent a protest letter against for not considering previous visas and the fact that I was in Tokyo for same conference in 2015. He responded and said the Japanese Visa showed visit Visa, rather than business Visa, hence he assumed I went for tourism and not for conference.

Just image that kind of excuse.

After reapplication, same person granted the visa on 31/8/2017. I was able to travel to Australia and participated in the Sydney conference.

25 Nigerians applied, only 6 of us were issued Visas. Out of the 6, only 3 of us traveled cos the ticket cost was into the millions, because of closeness to travel date.

Now in 2019, we faced the same thing. About tell has applied, and only 3 so far, all others were denied.

Sometimes, I wonder what's happening. Is it that our image is so battered abroad that genuine applicants will have to suffer for the sins of microscopic stupid individuals who criminally violated visa rules?

It's very unfortunate to say the least

femijck:
I can only say congratz to those who got theirs. Nobody can guarantee the outcome of any visa.In all honesty I didn’t support the second application because it has a very little chance. U need to get it right the first time. If denied, give it sometimes and claim your circumstances have changed. But because of your seminar date fast approaching, this kind of advice isn’t for your group.

A Nigerian guy is legally married to a kiwi, he lives in Brazil and the lady lives in NZ, the lady and her mum had visited him.... she’s re-visited several times but still he’s been denied ordinary temporary entry visa upto 6x. Now the lady had relocated to live with him in Brazil, so he can reapply whenever he qualifies for a Residence visa. Why am I saying this? It’s just to show a lot have changed in the last couple of years. Never use to be this hard. But people have taken too much advantage of NZ relaxed immigration rules and the new government is trying to correct that.

Many issues going on with migration all over the world and NZ is not exceptional. Many Europeans migrants are also finding it difficult to get a permanent stay in NZ now. So they ain’t targeting any particular race. It’s just what it is for now.

Cheers
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by femijck(m): 12:04pm On Jul 28, 2019
davodyguy:
Thanks for your comment.

I have some things to say, but so I don't sound racists, I would not say it here in the open, maybe to your mail.

It's quite unfortunate how they treat Nigerians.

In 2017 precisely in July, I was denied AU visa (my application was submitted online and treated in SA)

The officer said I didn't provide evidence that I've attended a similar conference before in a comparable country. He denied me on 27th July, I reapplied on 31st July and sent a protest letter against for not considering previous visas and the fact that I was in Tokyo for same conference in 2015. He responded and said the Japanese Visa showed visit Visa, rather than business Visa, hence he assumed I went for tourism and not for conference.

Just image that kind of excuse.

After reapplication, same person granted the visa on 31/8/2017. I was able to travel to Australia and participated in the Sydney conference.

25 Nigerians applied, only 6 of us were issued Visas. Out of the 6, only 3 of us traveled cos the ticket cost was into the millions, because of closeness to travel date.

Now in 2019, we faced the same thing. About tell has applied, and only 3 so far, all others were denied.

Sometimes, I wonder what's happening. Is it that our image is so battered abroad that genuine applicants will have to suffer for the sins of microscopic stupid individuals who criminally violated visa rules?

It's very unfortunate to say the least

well Nigeria is not alone .... it’s generally Africa

There’s been a debate on this issue lately on aljazeera.....Africans are paying the price no doubt

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/07/report-finds-visa-discrimination-uk-africans-suffer-190717133253395.html
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by olioxx(m): 1:52pm On Jul 28, 2019
Jayce01:

Yes. God bless you. Thanks

And for someone who would want to move to US or Canada after studies, which of them would you advise to opt for?
USA if you are into IT or if you studied an IT related course in college.
CANADA if you are into Medicine & Healthcare, Construction, Oil&Gas etc.
I think it depends on your profession.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by ugsams(m): 12:04am On Jul 29, 2019
femijck:

Cheers

I think sometimes the way the person got to the country where they live and how they got their papers over there also plays a part in all these assessments. I also know that Brazilian passport is visa free to New Zealand so I think they should just have their child over there, work their way to getting a Brazilian citizenship since they are already living there at least that will enable him to visit here. I believe if he applies onshore it will be easier. He should also pick up some skills in any of the occupations in the skilled shortage list that will enable him get job here when he comes over for a visit. That way he has multiple options either through work visa or his partner.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by serex6: 12:23pm On Jul 29, 2019
Hello Ogas in the house, please your advice is needed. For the health certificate, are we supposed to do General or Limited Medical for Ph.d student visa and a partner of student work visa?

Also, concerning kids that are less than 10 years, should we pay for limited medical for them?

Lastly, is there anything wrong with applying all at once online?

Thank you so much Sirs, for your good work
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by Jayce01: 8:33am On Jul 31, 2019
olioxx:

USA if you are into IT or if you studied an IT related course in college.
CANADA if you are into Medicine & Healthcare, Construction, Oil&Gas etc.
I think it depends on your profession.
i meant btw new zealand and finland, for someone who would want to move to us or canada after studies sir
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by Jayce01: 8:36am On Jul 31, 2019
ugsams:

This is subjective as it will depend on your preference and circumstances in either of the country. Both of them have their Pros and Cons. Just like Femi said, Finland will offer you more access to the European market/Countries. This is because of Finland being an EU/Schengen country, you can travel freely and live within the Schengen area and if you ever become their citizen it means the entire EU countries.

However, as a stand alone countries or maybe moving to any of them as a student, I will say that New Zealand is better if you don't mind the expensive tuition fees here. New Zealand is more interesting than Finland, beautiful nature and heaps of outdoor activities. The weather here is way better than Finland, the students have more opportunities here (I know this because I know people who studied or still studying in Finland so their experiences and economic status formed the basis of my judgement), Almost everyone here speaks English so it's easier to settle in and integrate faster. Kiwis are some of the most polite people on earth. [b]I also think you can make more money here and save better with a good strategy[/b].
Oh really ? Because there's sth like delivery person in finland, where you get to deliver food with you car, a very good hustle for a student
Is it over there in NEW details? BTW there are scholarships opportunities in NZ though
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by ugsams(m): 4:31am On Aug 01, 2019
Jayce01:

Oh really ? Because there's sth like delivery person in finland, where you get to deliver food with you car, a very good hustle for a student
Is it over there in NEW details? BTW there are scholarships opportunities in NZ though

I think if you've got your license, you can do deliveries for the likes of Domino pizza, I know a couple of students doing this here. Although they are Arabic guys. Does the delivery in Finland contribute to your working hours as a student? How much can you make off it doing deliveries in Finland in a month?
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by femijck(m): 5:29am On Aug 01, 2019
ugsams:

I think if you've got your license, you can do deliveries for the likes of Domino pizza, I know a couple of students doing this here. Although they are Arabic guys. Does the delivery in Finland contribute to your working hours as a student? How much can you make off it doing deliveries in Finland in a month?
even Uber eats.... but the main thing is getting a full or restricted license as you might have to do late driving

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by patani(m): 7:37am On Aug 01, 2019
femijck:
New Zealand is no doubt a tourist destination than a live in country for many people, beautiful and fascinating scenery. But before you finally make that decision, here are the 8 important things you need to know.

Most of the houses are old bungalow
It may look charming, but chances are it’ll freeze parts of your body that you didn’t even know existed.

The Land of the Long Dark Cloud

1. Colder Inside than Outside

New Zealand is a country abundant with low build-quality houses, with minimal or no insulation. Most houses also have issues with dampness. In the summer you can feel too hot, and in winter you’ll be chilled to the bone.

If at all possible, hold out for a modern, insulated house – unless of course it’s one of the leaky ones.

2. A garden shed masquerading as a family home

Turning up the heating might temporarily add a degree or two of warmth to the garden shed you now call home, but just wait till you get your first electricity bill. It’s then you’ll wish you’d paid attention to point 1.

If you’ve bought a garden shed masquerading as a family home, you can insulate it, double-glaze it and install central-heating to make it equivalent to a home in another developed country. It will cost plenty of money, but until you’ve lived (and frozen) in one of these old New Zealand houses, you can’t truly appreciate the value of these improvements.

If you’re renting a shed, you’ll either need to foot the huge fuel bills or, as Kiwis will say to you: “harden up and put on another jumper” (or a coat!). Buying and running a dehumidifier will most likely be the fastest, cheapest way to make your home a bit more comfortable.

3. Not for the Faint Hearted

New Zealand is geologically active, so you’re at risk from earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions.

Gold Coast, Queensland
The Gold Coast. More Kiwis live in south east Queensland than live in Dunedin!

4. Voting Against New Zealand – with their feet

Hundreds of thousands of people have moved from New Zealand to Australia. Since New Zealand’s population is less than 4.5 million, that’s a lot of people voting with their feet for Australia and against New Zealand. Every New Zealand citizen has the right to live and work in Australia.

The hordes fleeing the country induce regular outpourings of angst in the media. Short of Australia legislating against New Zealanders, or New Zealand introducing North Korean style legislation, New Zealanders will continue moving to Australia, where the mining boom has steadily pushed Australian wages to among the highest in the world.

5. Homesickness

The number one reason we’ve seen for non-Kiwis leaving New Zealand is homesickness, usually bound up with missing loved ones. If you have very close family or friends you will miss dreadfully when you move to New Zealand, do think carefully before moving because…

6. Price Gouging on Flights

New Zealand is a long way from anywhere else – obvious, you may think, but a lot of people forget about it until they actually get here, then they find it’s too expensive to visit family and friends back home every year. People from the UK and USA complain that it’s much cheaper to buy return flights into NZ than out of NZ – watch out for that if you’re making plans.

New Zealand sun - before/after
Be careful out there, or you too could suffer from microwaved skin.

7. Wrinkly New Zealand

New Zealand will make you wrinkly before your time. The summer sun is very strong – much stronger than people from Europe (including the Mediterranean) or North America are used to. Sun-screen is a must, or your skin will be damaged. You can see skin damage on a lot of born and bred New Zealanders, some of them not especially old. Sunglasses are also a must, because cataracts are a real risk too.

8. New Zealand will drain your bank account

The cost of living for all too many grocery and consumer items will be higher than you are used to. The huge economies of scale that are present in many countries are absent in New Zealand. Expect your shopping bill to be higher than it was and to have fewer choices in nearly every store than you’re used to. Furnishing and equipping a home will also be expensive.

https://www.enz.org/8-must-knows.html

Did you mention how racist the Kiwis are? NZ is a no go for me personally...My company sends my colleague for IT consulting and I don't pray to be posted there, judging from the report I have from them.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by femijck(m): 11:03am On Aug 01, 2019
patani:

Did you mention how racist the Kiwis are? NZ is a no go for me personally...My company sends my colleague for IT consulting and I don't pray to be posted there, judging from the report I have from them.
I completely disagree with you on that...... instead of racism, kiwis will rather mind their own business and they’re probably one of the best and loving people on earth. it may be different in some smaller towns but in major cities like Auckland, I don’t think anybody send anybody.

Maybe you talking about Aussies.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by ugsams(m): 12:46pm On Aug 01, 2019
patani:

I guess your definition of "racist" might be different from what I know. Kiwis are among the most polite people you'll ever meet in your life. Even if anyone wants to be racist, they will never make it obvious. I guess you just read up an article online and then reach your conclusion based on that. If you ever get the opportunity, better come here to experience things yourself.

My third week in New Zealand, I had issues with my car on our driveway. Within 15 minutes I have over 5 people standing there with me trying to free my car. some of them were people who were just coming back from work and hasn't even entered their house. We spent around 2 hours that evening seeking for solution together. At the end of the day one of them called for a towing van and paid for it. They were there until the Towing van arrived and got my car out. I was so shocked by the level of kindness I received from people I don't know and in an environment that I just moved into.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by patani(m): 1:29pm On Aug 01, 2019
femijck:
I completely disagree with you on that...... instead of racism, kiwis will rather mind their own business and they’re probably one of the best and loving people on earth. it may be different in some smaller towns but in major cities like Auckland, I don’t think anybody send anybody.

Maybe you talking about Aussies.

Hmm..Well, my organisation work with COOP Bank.Maybe my guys are nasty when they are there...Funny enough, these colleagues are white Caucasians....
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by patani(m): 1:31pm On Aug 01, 2019
ugsams:

I guess your definition of "racist" might be different from what I know. Kiwis are among the most polite people you'll ever meet in your life. Even if anyone wants to be racist, they will never make it obvious. I guess you just read up an article online and then reach your conclusion based on that. If you ever get the opportunity, better come here to experience things yourself.

My third week in New Zealand, I had issues with my car on our driveway. Within 15 minutes I have over 5 people standing there with me trying to free my car. some of them were people who were just coming back from work and hasn't even entered their house. We spent around 2 hours that evening seeking for solution together. At the end of the day one of them called for a towing van and paid for it. They were there until the Towing van arrived and got my car out. I was so shocked by the level of kindness I received from people I don't know and in an environment that I just moved into.

Will probably try it for 3 months and see things myself.

Thanks for the polite response by the way.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by davodyguy: 3:00pm On Aug 01, 2019
I am sensing something.

A colleague with three international Travel experience, landed properties, cars and top position in his office was denied twice in June/July, but another one with a 'VIRGIN' passport is about getting visa, who didn't submit a single property or car, neither did he show strong ties to Nigeria, or send any cover letter(Yes, cos i handled it and we didn't even send any cover letter and attached only 6 items) is very close to being granted.

of course case handled by different officer

Wonders shall never end lipsrsealed undecided
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by olioxx(m): 3:52pm On Aug 01, 2019
Jayce01:
i meant btw new zealand and finland, for someone who would want to move to us or canada after studies sir
Again it will depend on what you want to study.
Just do your own research.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by femijck(m): 9:13pm On Aug 01, 2019
davodyguy:
I am sensing something.

A colleague with three international Travel experience, landed properties, cars and top position in his office was denied twice in June/July, but another one with a 'VIRGIN' passport is about getting visa, who didn't submit a single property or car, neither did he show strong ties to Nigeria, or send any cover letter(Yes, cos i handled it and we didn't even send any cover letter and attached only 6 items) is very close to being granted.

of course case handled by different officer

Wonders shall never end lipsrsealed undecided

so what documents did he submit and how did he show his socio-economy ties to Nigeria? Or does he attend TB Joshua’s church?...Lol
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by davodyguy: 9:54pm On Aug 01, 2019
femijck:
so what documents did he submit and how did he show his socio-economy ties to Nigeria? Or does he attend TB Joshua’s church?...Lol
Bro, you know me for my openness and since we had private Convo, I'll reveal everything.

1. Attached academic +professional qualifications
2. Marriage Certicate
3. Letter of Sponsor by Employer
4. SA of employer/sponsor
5. Letter of conference registration
6. Passport data page
7. Personal bank statement.

That's all.

The other guy that was denied twice even included wife's letter of employed. Wife works as a federal Civil servant, company SA as sponsor with over 1
N100m balance, cover letter.
Visas of 3 countries visited, Certificate of Occupancy of landed proper.
Receipt of paying house rent
Many things, but refused.

I think its a mood thing and how considerate the officer is.
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by ugsams(m): 11:02pm On Aug 01, 2019
patani:

Will probably try it for 3 months and see things myself.

Thanks for the polite response by the way.

You're all good mate. I hope you have an awesome time in New Zealand when you finally come over. It might be a bit boring at first if you're used to bigger cities and will be staying outside of Auckland but before you know it, you're fully settled and may even want to stay more.

Talking about kiwis and their politeness, an old lady just walked to me right now with lots of smile offering me some sandwiches as I wait to board my flight to Christchurch.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by Jayce01: 8:54am On Aug 02, 2019
ugsams:

no
It doesn't contribute to your working hours boss. No idea on pay
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by davodyguy: 6:02pm On Aug 03, 2019
ugsams:

I'm still waiting for your response on things to do in Auckland.

Read about the 'Hop on hop off' bus but not sure how it works/operate
Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by davodyguy: 10:00pm On Aug 03, 2019
What a country.
Can Nigeria ever be like this?

Re: 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand by hammed71(m): 6:12am On Aug 06, 2019
Please guys how many months to expiry can one renew a passport

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (54) (Reply)

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening / Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.