Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,893 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone (33482 Views)

Top 8 Things You Should Do Immediately You Get A New Android Smartphone / Top 6 Affordable Bluetooth Accessories You Can Get For Your Android Smartphone / Man Celebrates His Achievement After Buying Iphone 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by TechsNG: 9:07am On Aug 22, 2017
Are you thinking of buying a new smartphone or perhaps, you just got a brand new Android smartphone and you are probably wondering what next?

Odds are, you are really excited about your new baby (as most people would often term it). I share in your sentiment too. Over the years, i have unboxed quite a handful of devices but i still tend to get that gleeful feeling whenever i unbox a new smartphone.

I made a video containing all of the things I'd be mentioning here and a bit more details. Hence, I'd advice you watch the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvDJUATc8OE

Having cleared that out of the way, let's get right on to the first 5 things you should do after buying a brand new android phone.

1. Charge the New Android Smartphone

I understand you just unboxed the new android smartphone and you cannot wait to dive right into it. But hold your fire. If you aim to have a good battery life on your new android smartphone, the first thing you should do, is charge the phone. Not just to an extent, but till it's completely full.

If you live in a country where electricity isn't stable, I'd advice you take your time and charge using the normal power supply rather than a generator set. Do this, for the sake of your new phone's battery longevity.

2. Add Your Email Account

Having charged the device, you are at this point, ready to fire. I dig that. Frankly, you are free to. Upon turning on the device for the first time, you are usually presented with a set up wizard. The set up wizard as the name implies, is aimed to help you set up the new android smartphone as a first timer.

Amidst the options presented in the set up wizard, you will most likely be asked to add your email account on the smartphone. If you have a gmail (Google Mail) account, do go ahead and input it. If not, you can easily create one.

There are quite a lot of benefits as to why you should add your email account on the new android phone as one of the first things to do. You can find that out in the video.

3. Set A Password

I understand not everyone is comfortable with having a password on their phone. But if you care about the files on your phone and you wouldn't want it to be vulnerable to 'everyone', setting a password wouldn't be an option.

I set up a password on all my phones not because i have things to hide, but because i do not want my files to be accessible by everyone. Plus, this simple step can save your life. Reason can be seen on the video.

If having to input a password everytime is a bit of an issue for you, most smartphones released in 2017 do have fingerprint on board. They are not only affordable, but the fingerprint unlocks within 0.1 to 0.3 seconds. Faster than the time you'd spend in typing your password everytime. Easy peasy!

4. Allow Installation of Apps From Unknown Sources

By default, an android phone isn't allowed to install apps from unknown sources. Hence, downloading apps from third party sites would work, but installation wouldn't be possible. This is Google's way of making your android smartphone less vulnerable to malwares and viruses. However, this can be an hindrance if an essential app isn't available on the playstore and you need to install from a third party site. Or perhaps, you need some apps from a friend's phone via the use of file sharing apps like xender.

To allow this function, go to settings > security and toggle the unknown sources option ON.

5. Deactivate Auto-Update Of Apps

This is pretty self explanatory. If you have an unlimited data subscription or you are connected to one via Wi-Fi, you can simply skip this. If otherwise, it is necessary you turn it off. By default, apps on the playstore and set to auto-update when connected to a Wi-Fi network.

In a country like Nigeria, the odds of working through the streets and automatically connected to an 'unlimited Wi-Fi network' with no password is on the minimal. If a friend should tend you his/her data via Hotspot to Wi-Fi connection and the next minute, your apps starts updating, how is he/she supposed to feel about that? Especially if they are on a limited data plan.

Do disable this, navigate to the play store app, tap on the menu tab, tap on settings, tap on auto-update of apps and select do not auto-update.

So, there you have it. There are more you can do on your brand new android smartphones but these, i consider to be the first 5. I look forward to your comments, opinions and suggestions regarding the video.

A quick question though, what are the first things you usually do after buying a new android smartphone?

Source: https://www.techsng.com/2017/08/things-buying-new-android-smartphone.html

5 Likes

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by PrinceJoeWan(m): 10:39am On Aug 22, 2017
Nice article my addition
6. Download an ant Virus
7.Download Uc Browser and u r good to go!

8 Likes

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Ayodejioak(m): 11:13am On Aug 22, 2017
Great points but I think most of your points looks very similar.

One of the points I expected you to emphasize based on its level of importance and relation to Africa is CHARGING WITH AN ALTERNATING POWER source. (PHCN)

I don't know why I get wild imaginations that some may end up charging their new phones with a generator or even a power bank because they can't keep calm with exploring their new phones.

That's the worst thing you can do to you new phone.

-oakey

5 Likes

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by emajoe: 11:13am On Aug 22, 2017
OK.
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by NOC1(m): 11:13am On Aug 22, 2017
then visit Nairaland to crown it up.

I noticed that there is no news today, every Tom, Dick and Harry is making headlines.

11 Likes

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by biggerboyc(m): 11:14am On Aug 22, 2017
Ok
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 22, 2017
What i do
1) charge
2) buy screen guard/ casing
3)buy data
4)download uc browser, mxplayer and es file explorer
5)download telegram and whatsapp
6) change settings
Sound, keyboard vibrate, noise etc
7)charge again
8,9,10) use my phone

15 Likes

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by baike: 11:16am On Aug 22, 2017
charge am
put ur sim
make call
enter internet
press the power bottom and keep am
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by calabaman(m): 11:16am On Aug 22, 2017
PrinceJoeWan:
Nice article my addition
6. Download an ant Virus[b][/b]
7.Download Uc Browser and u r good to go!

Really: at this day and age?
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by chris4gold(m): 11:16am On Aug 22, 2017
B4 nko?
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by cjudy(m): 11:17am On Aug 22, 2017
Good Tips @OP
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by glosplendid(f): 11:17am On Aug 22, 2017
Download Nairaland app and LIB app...
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Jackossky(m): 11:17am On Aug 22, 2017
Don't charge your phone to 100%... charge it yo maybe 93% or 95% to increase the battery's durability.

1 Like

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 22, 2017
Nice one op

Please don't forget to vote my story by liking and sharing it here https://www.nairaland.com/3919666/seun-osewa-battle-moderator-judges/4#59660691
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by DirtyGold: 11:19am On Aug 22, 2017
6. Install a tracker

What's tha business?
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by lightblazingnow(m): 11:19am On Aug 22, 2017
Bukola Saraki Is Not The Senate

The constitution says the President shall transmit a letter to the SENATE to leave and to resume as President.

The Senate President is not the Nigerian Senate. Until President Buhari’s letter is read on the floor of the Senate, he hasn’t returned and as such can’t resume as President of Nigeria.

To put it succinctly, in the eyes of the law, President Buhari has not returned. The man who returned was Mr. Buhari; a private citizen.

I’m happy that Mr. Femi Adesina has accepted that the transmission letter for President Buhari’s resumption would have come before his appearance on NTA.

Therefore I would urge Nigerians to disregard the speech by Mr. Buhari as the President’s speech.

The man who addressed you on NTA was a private citizen like you, who hurriedly left his hospital bed to a nearby TV station.

The Presidency should not apologise to us; when it still has the opportunity to do the right thing.

We look forward to another speech from President Buhari, after the SENATE not Saraki, considers his resumption letter.

4 Likes

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by sleamzy06(m): 11:19am On Aug 22, 2017
what else would you now do when you get a new phone?? undecided
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by TANKDESTROYER(m): 11:21am On Aug 22, 2017
Install dream league soccer... no time..
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Liturgy(m): 11:22am On Aug 22, 2017
Good and helping tips for the beginners.
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by starboyflight(m): 11:22am On Aug 22, 2017
6. Visit http://tooxclusive.com/download-mp3/flight-fire/ Download Flight Fire. Bless
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Onyenna(m): 11:23am On Aug 22, 2017
Okay
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Idrismusty97(m): 11:23am On Aug 22, 2017
All these things na normal things na. Must you write an article over everything?

3 Likes

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by jashar(f): 11:26am On Aug 22, 2017
smiley
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Maxvasia(m): 11:26am On Aug 22, 2017
Q
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by somehow: 11:28am On Aug 22, 2017
Grab this cheap Alcatel Android 4g LTE phone asap.

Nano sim (single)
8 gig HDD
1 gig ram
5MP cam
2 MP front
Just #22k

Brand new.

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Goddygee(m): 11:29am On Aug 22, 2017
Na wa o, be like say no better tori for Nairaland again...
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by jonathanOz: 11:29am On Aug 22, 2017
Nice one at Techsng. Really thinking of getting a new smartphone but i'm a little confused on which product to go for. For a 70k budget, what phone will u advise your guy to get? Was thinking about infinix note 4 pro but some comments i've read about infinix products got me worried. Help a brother
Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Vich78(m): 11:29am On Aug 22, 2017
You didn't include church Thanksgiving service

1 Like

Re: First 5 Things You Should Do After Buying A Brand New Android Smartphone by Jsucre(m): 11:30am On Aug 22, 2017
in addtion try to inssure it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First Mobile Referral Code. / How To Stop/unsubscribe For Facebook Weekly With Mtn / 50 Greatest Andriod Hardcore Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.