Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,025 members, 7,810,827 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

The Word For Today - Religion (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (30415 Views)

Lifeway Christian Center: The Word For Today! Thursday, 12/10/2017 / Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 4:27pm On Aug 23, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Sunday, 23rd August, 2020

BE CONTENT WITH YOUR CALLING (2)

‘We make it our goal to please Him.’ 2 Corinthians 5:9 NIV

Paul writes: ‘We make it our goal to please Him… For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due to us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.’ (2 Corinthians 5:9–10 NIV) If pleasing people is your main goal in life, you’ll be disappointed. The moment you stop pleasing them, chances are they’ll criticise you or leave you. Plus, they won’t be with you when you stand at the judgment seat of Christ to be evaluated and rewarded!

Bottom line: you’re not assigned to everybody! So once you discover your God-given gift, ask, ‘Lord, to whom are You sending me?’

‘One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: “Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city.” So Paul stayed in Corinth for a year and a half, teaching them the Word of God.’ (Acts 18:9–11 NIV) To whom has God sent you? As surely as a plant only thrives in the right kind of soil, you’ll only succeed in the place to which God has assigned you. Peter did well preaching to the Jewish people, whereas Paul writes, ‘God… was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles.’ (Galatians 1:15–16 NIV)

You must love people, and listen to the right people. But when it comes to your calling—you must be led by God! So go where He sends you and trust Him to take care of you.

SoulFood: Job 2:7–10, Job 40:1–5, Job 42:7–17, Jam 5:10–11.

Credits: GSAF, RHEMA

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:55am On Aug 24, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Monday, 24th August, 2020

STAY OUT OF HARM'S WAY

‘Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts.’ 2 Timothy 2:22 NLT

The Bible sets the scene for us: ‘“You’re the one I was looking for! I came out to find you, and here you are! My bed is spread with… coloured sheets of Egyptian linen… Come, let’s drink our fill of love until morning. Let’s enjoy each other’s caresses, for my husband is not home. He’s away on a long trip… and won’t return until later this month”… He followed her at once, like an ox going to the slaughter… like a stag caught in a trap, awaiting the arrow that would pierce its heart… like a bird flying into a snare, little knowing it would cost him his life.’ (Proverbs 7:15–23 NLT)

Let’s modernise the setting. The bed could be a poolside spa or the back seat of a car. The linens could be plush carpet in front of a fireplace. The spices could be beer and pizza accompanied by soft background music. Today we call such liaisons ‘friends with benefits’. It means each person has all the benefits of sexual intimacy without a shred of commitment or concern for the other person’s well-being. And experts can document a growing mountain of evidence that it always ends the same way: with guilt, depression, and devastated lives.

Solomon pleads: ‘Listen to me… pay attention to my words. Don’t let your hearts stray away towards her. Don’t wander down her wayward path. For she has been the ruin of many; many men have been her victims. Her house is the road to the grave. Her bedroom is the den of death.’ (Proverbs 7:24–27 NLT)

In other words: remove yourself from harm’s way before you get in over your head!

SoulFood: Judg 16:1–19:15, Luke 17:1–10, Ps 119:129–136, Pro 18:21.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:23pm On Aug 26, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Tuesday, 25th August, 2020

DEVELOP AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE

‘Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you.’ 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT

God is crystal clear on this issue: we are all called to be thanks-givers. Who? You! When? In all circumstances! Why? Because it’s God’s will for you! Whatever else you may be confused about concerning God’s will, this part is clear. It’s not a suggestion—it’s a commandment. And since there are more commands in Scripture about thanksgiving than anything else, God evidently enjoys receiving thanks.

The psalmist said, ‘I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bullock.’ (Psalm 69:30–31 KJV) Why does God need to remind us to give thanks? For the same reason you remind your child to do it—it’s considerate and, until it becomes habitual, we forget!

David, a man after God’s own heart, prodded his often-forgetful soul into thanksgiving: ‘Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.’ (Psalm 103:2 KJV) When you feel ungrateful, stop and read David’s ‘benefit list’ in your Bible—it will fire up your attitude of gratitude. Even when circumstances don’t look good, God can turn them around for your benefit. In all things He deserves your thanks. Even at his lowest point in the belly of the great fish, Jonah recognised the need to thank God, and cried out from ‘the belly of hell’ (Jonah 2:2 KJV), raising his voice in ‘shouts of grateful praise… “Salvation comes from the Lord!”’ (Jonah 2:2 NIV)

So make a habit of ‘always giving thanks to God the Father for everything.’ (Ephesians 5:20 NIV) In other words, develop an attitude of gratitude.

SoulFood: Judg 19:16–21:25, Luke 17:11–19, Ps 119:137–144, Pro 18:22–24.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:23pm On Aug 26, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Wednesday, 26 August, 2020

LOVE THEM FOR WHO THEY ARE

‘Love never fails.’ 1 Corinthians 13:8 NKJV

The words of an old song go, ‘I love you for a hundred thousand reasons, but most of all I love you ’cause you’re you.’

There’s great truth in that song, particularly when it comes to children. Christian psychologist Dr James Dobson writes: ‘When the birth of a first child is imminent, the parents pray that he will be normal—that is, average. But from that moment on, average will not be good enough for them. Their child must excel. He must succeed. He must triumph. He must be the first of his age to walk or talk or ride a tricycle. He must earn a stunning report card and amaze his teachers with his wit and wisdom. He must star in little league, and later be quarterback or senior class president. His sister must be the cheerleader or soloist or the homecoming queen. Throughout the formative years, some parents give their children the same message day after day: “We’re counting on you to do something fantastic. Don’t disappoint us.” Unfortunately, exceptional children are just that—exceptions. Seldom does a five-year-old memorise the King James Bible, or play chess blindfolded, or compose symphonies. The vast majority of our children are not dazzlingly brilliant. They’re just plain kids, with an oversized need to be loved and accepted as they are. Most parents have average kids. To expect more sets the stage for considerable disappointment for parents, and puts unrealistic pressure on the younger generation.’

Now let’s recall the song lyrics: ‘Most of all I love you ’cause you’re you.’ If you take that message to heart, one day your children will rise up and call you ‘blessed’. (See Proverbs 31:28).

SoulFood: Gal 1–3, Luke 17:20–37, Ps 119:145–160, Pro 19:1–2.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:32pm On Aug 27, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Thursday, 27th August, 2020

PRAYING ACCORDING TO GOD'S WILL

‘You do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives.’ James 4:3 NIV

When you pray for the salvation of a loved one, you never have to wonder if it’s God’s will. His will is clearly spelled out in Scripture: ‘God… wants all people to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.’ (1 Timothy 2:3–4 NIV) However, when it comes to praying for things that aren’t clearly promised in Scripture, you should say, ‘If it is Your will.’ Why?

Because the Bible says, ‘When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives.’ Sometimes we have a hard time accepting this truth because we’re convinced our petitions are justified. But unless your heart is pure towards God and your will is lined up with His, your motives for asking can be tainted by self-interest. John says: ‘This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears—whatever we ask—we know… we have what we asked of Him.’ (1 John 5:14–15 NIV)

When you pray for something you’re not sure is in keeping with the mind of God, you should pray, ‘If it is Your will.’ This doesn’t mean you’re weak in faith. Rather you’re submitted to God when you say, ‘Lord, I want this—if fits in with Your plan, is Your best for me, and it’s in Your timing.’

Paul says, ‘We can see and understand only a little about God now.’ (1 Corinthians 13:12 TLB) We see only a partial picture, but God has complete knowledge of the situation from beginning to end. So pray in faith, and trust God for the right results.

SoulFood: Gal 4–6, Luke 18:1–17, Ps 119:161–168, Pro 19:3–8.

Courtesy: GSAF, RHEMA

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:12am On Aug 28, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Friday, 28th August, 2020

STOP!

‘When Jesus heard him, He stopped.’ Luke 18:40 NLT

Is there room in your schedule for interruptions? Author Jon Walker writes: ‘Jesus stopped when people needed help. He saw interruptions as opportunities to show God’s love. Woe to those who are so busy saving the world that they ignore the perceived interruptions of those in need. Like the Good Samaritan, we should be ready to stop for someone who’s hurting. “Whoever… sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?” (1 John 3:17 NKJV)’

When Jesus acted out of love, people recognised ‘God has visited His people!’ (Luke 7:16 ESV)

Chuck Swindoll writes: ‘The One who said, “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10) must hurt when He witnesses our frantic, compulsive, agitated motions. In place of a quiet, responsive spirit, we offer Him an inner washing machine—churning with anxiety… activity… resentment and impatience. But you can change. Here’s how.

Admit it. Acknowledge that you’re too busy and something must be done—NOW. I did that recently, and through tears my family and I cleared some bridges the thorns had overgrown.

Stop it. Starting today, refuse every activity that isn’t absolutely necessary. Sound ruthless? So is the clock. So is your health…

Maintain it. It is easy to start fast and fade quickly. Paul told the Galatians, “You were running… well. Who… held you back from following the truth? It certainly isn’t God… He is the one who called you to freedom.” (Galatians 5:7–8 NLT)

Share it. Once you start gleaning the benefits from reordering your priorities… tell other “activity-addicts.” They’d love to stop—if they only knew how.’

SoulFood: Lam 1:1–3:39, Luke 18:18–30, Ps 119:169–176, Pro 19:9–10.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:40am On Aug 29, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Saturday, 29th August, 2020

HOW TO NEGOTIATE WELL (1)

‘To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under Heaven.’ Ecclesiastes 3:1 NKJV

In order to negotiate well, it helps to understand what’s happening on both sides of the table. People seldom buy a product for the reason you want to sell it. If you show more interest in making a profit than meeting their need, you’ll fail. So here are a few things to keep in mind when negotiating with someone:

(1) The right attitude. Nobody likes being taken for granted, coerced, and pressured.

(2) The cost involved for others. There’s a world of difference between negotiating with someone who has so much money that whatever the cost they can afford it, and someone who is sacrificing because they really need your product. If you want a long-term customer rather than a short-term sale, practise the Golden Rule: ‘Whatever you want others to do for you, do for them.’ (See Matthew 7:12).

(3) The proper timing. Solomon tells us there’s ‘a time to gain, and a time to lose.’ (Ecclesiastes 3:6 NKJV) Whether you’re asking for a raise or trying to sell a product to a customer, timing is all-important. When someone is hungry, lonely, angry, tired, stressed or in a crisis, you risk losing out, whereas if you’d waited for the right time, chances are you’d have won. Does God really care about stuff like that? Yes. ‘The Lord watches to see if we are fair or if we cheat others.’ (Proverbs 16:11 CEV)

As a follower of Christ, you want both sides to walk away feeling they were treated fairly.

SoulFood: Lam 3:40–5:22, Luke 18:31–43, Ps 84, Pro 19:11.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:30pm On Aug 30, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Sunday, 30th August, 2020

HOW TO NEGOTIATE WELL (2)

‘Both riches and honour come from You.’ 1 Chronicles 29:12 NKJV

To negotiate well, you should do these three things:

(1) Talk to God before you talk to others. Involve Him in all your decisions. The Bible says, ‘Both riches and honour come from You, and You reign over all. In Your hand is power and might; in Your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all.’ (1 Chronicles 29:12 NKJV) ‘Also, every man to whom God has given riches and possessions, and the power to enjoy them and to accept his appointed lot and to rejoice in his toil—this is the gift of God.’ (Ecclesiastes 5:19 AMPC) If God can negotiate the price of our salvation at the cross, don’t you think He’s qualified to help you negotiate successfully in business?

(2) Think long-term. When someone feels ‘burned’ in business dealings with you, you may make a sale but you’ll lose a repeat customer. Billionaire Sam Walton said he rarely invested in a company because of where it would be in eighteen months. Instead he invested in companies that would still be successful ten years ahead. You may be irreplaceable today—but you won’t always be. And if you pressure your boss for a raise by threatening to leave, your short-term gain may result in long-term loss.

(3) Don’t be pressured. Run from the salesperson who insists, ‘This is the last day of this sale!’ Generally speaking, when you return a month later they’ll still do a deal! Many times they need your purchase more than you need their product. Your opinion deserves to be heard and respected. Just make sure it’s at the right time, in the right atmosphere, and with the right attitude.

SoulFood: Dan 1:1–20, Dan 6:1–28.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:44am On Aug 31, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

Monday, 31st August, 2020

YOUR DREAM HOUSE (1)

‘We have a building from God, an eternal house in Heaven.’ 2 Corinthians 5:1 NIV

Few things in life compare to the excitement of moving into your dream house. But if you’re a redeemed child of God, here’s the score: no matter how beautiful your dream house on earth may be, it’s nothing compared to the one you will have in eternity. That’s why Jesus said, ‘In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.’ (John 14:2 NKJV) When it comes to the house we want to live in, certain questions arise.

First, what’s the price? Answer: more than you could ever afford! In order to redeem you and take you to Heaven, God gave ‘His only begotten Son.’ (John 3:16 KJV) Nobody in Heaven will ever say, ‘Look what Jesus and I accomplished.’ That would make you a co-redeemer with Christ. It would be an insult to the cross. You’d be guilty of a level of pride that would make it impossible for you to live there.

Hymnist Horatius Bonar wrote, ‘Upon a life I have not lived, upon a death I did not die; another’s life; another’s death, I stake my whole eternity.’ The Bible speaks of ‘labouring’ and ‘working’ for God, but don’t get it mixed up. You don’t work to be saved; you work because you are saved. You don’t labour for your redemption; you labour for your reward.

That’s so ‘God can point to us in all future ages as examples of the incredible wealth of His grace and kindness towards us.’ (Ephesians 2:7 NLT)

SoulFood: Amos 1:1–5:17, Luke 19:1–10, Ps 103:1–12, Pro 19:12–16.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:21am On Sep 01, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR DREAM HOUSE (2)

Tuesday, 1st September, 2020

‘I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number.’ Revelation 7:9 NKJV

When it comes to moving into your dream house, here’s another important question: what kind of people live in the neighbourhood? Describing the joys of heaven, John the Revelator wrote: ‘After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb [who is Jesus]!”’ (vv. 9-10 NKJV).

Author Max Lucado tells the story of his friend Joy, who was a Sunday school teacher and had a timid nine-year-old girl named Barbara in her class. She was an underprivileged child from an impoverished area of town, and Lucado writes: ‘Barbara’s difficult home life had left her afraid and insecure. For the weeks that my friend was teaching the class, Barbara never spoke. Never. While the other children talked, she sat. While the others sang, she was silent. While the others giggled, she was quiet. Always present. Always listening. Always speechless. Until the day Joy gave a class on heaven. Joy talked about seeing God. She talked about tearless eyes and deathless lives. Barbara was fascinated. She couldn’t release Joy from her stare. She listened with hunger. Then she raised her hand. “Mrs Joy?” Joy was stunned. Barbara had never before asked a question. “Yes, Barbara.” Nine-year-old-Barbara asked, “Is heaven for girls like me?”’ The answer is yes! Heaven was made for Barbara – and for you.

Soulfood: Song of Songs 1-3, 2 Corinthians 8

Credits: UCB, GSAF

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:26am On Sep 02, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR DREAM HOUSE (3)

Wednesday, 2nd September, 2020

‘They are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night.’ (Revelation 7:15 NKJV)

When you think about your dream house, two more questions arise. How close is it to where I work? Have you ever wondered what we’ll actually do in heaven? Since heaven will be Paradise regained, read this: ‘God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion…over every living thing that moves on the earth”’ (Genesis 1:28 NKJV). The Bible doesn’t provide specific job descriptions for what we’ll do in heaven, but the first Paradise gives us two important clues. a) ‘Be fruitful and multiply.’ You won’t struggle to make ends meet. You won’t live with crushed hopes and disappointments. Every dream and creative idea you have will be fulfilled. b) ‘Have dominion over…every living thing that moves.’ The word ‘dominion’ means ‘to rule over’. So we’ll be promoted to positions of leadership and management. But here’s the difference! In Paradise Lost, God said to Adam, ‘Cursed is the ground for your sake; in toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life’ (Genesis 3:17 NKJV). But in Paradise Found, God said, ‘There shall be no more curse’ (Revelation 22:3 NKJV).

Gazing up at the stars one night, a little boy said to his dad, ‘If the wrong side of heaven is so wonderful, what must the right side be like?’ So here’s the question: are you going to heaven when you die? Are you sure? You can be. John said, ‘These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know…you have eternal life’ (1 John 5:13 NKJV).

Soulfood: Song of Songs 4-5, 2 Corinthians 9.

Credits: GSAF, UCB

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:28am On Sep 03, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR DREAM HOUSE (4)

Thursday, 3rd September, 2020

‘There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.’ (Revelation 21:4 NKJV)

Dave Dravecky pitched for the San Francisco Giants baseball team in the 1980s. In 1988 doctors discovered a tumour in his pitching arm, and in 1991 his arm had to be amputated. In his book When You Can’t Come Back, he writes about his sense of loss. ‘I miss doing things with my own two hands, and – of course – I really miss baseball. There’s a scene in the movie Field of Dreams where Shoeless Joe Jackson – one of the eight Chicago White Sox players banned from baseball for conspiring to lose the 1919 World Series – said, “Getting thrown out of baseball was like having part of me amputated. I’d wake up in the night with the smell of the baseball park in my nose and the cool of the grass on my feet. Man, I did love this game. I’d have played for food money…The sounds – the smells. I’d have played for nuthin’.”’

Dravecky continues, ‘That scene had a powerful effect on me. I missed those feelings too. The feeling of stitched seams as you cradle a new ball in your hand…the sound of a bat cracking out a base hit. I’d have played for food money. I’d have played for nuthin’.’ We live in a fallen world where we lose limbs and lose loved ones. But heaven will make up for all we’ve lost. We’ll be reunited with our redeemed loved ones, and we’ll have bodies free from sickness, pain, and every form of limitation. ‘There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.’ One day you’ll live in your dream house!

Soulfood: Song of Songs 6-8, 2 Corinthians 10.

Courtesy: UCB, GSAF

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:27am On Sep 04, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

REASON FOR HOPE

Friday, 4th September, 2020

‘I…will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope.’
Hosea 2:15 NIV

Biblical references to valleys generally symbolise a state of hopelessness. The Valley of Achor [judgment] got its name when Achan’s family was stoned to death and Israel’s armies were defeated (see Joshua 7:25-26). Feeling hopeless is part of the human condition, and many of history’s most notable heroes experienced it. William Penn said, ‘There is scarcely anything around us but ruin and despair.’ Lord Shaftesbury announced, ‘Nothing can save the British Empire from shipwreck.’ Benjamin Disraeli declared, ‘In industry, commerce, and agriculture there is no hope.’ And Lord Grey lamented, ‘The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see the light again in our lifetime.’ There are naysayers and prophets of doom everywhere, and if you buy what they’re selling, you’ll end up convinced there’s no hope for your situation.

Nothing could be further from the truth! Paul said, ‘Let us hold fast the confession of our hope…He who promised is faithful’ (Hebrews 10:23 NKJV). God can transform your ‘Valley of Achor [into] a door of hope’. It’s the same promise He made to His people even after they’d turned their backs on Him. He said in Isaiah 65:10, ‘The Achor Valley will be a resting place…for my people who search for me’ (GWT). As Henry Blackaby observes: ‘Optimists don’t ignore the difficulties, but the knowledge of God’s presence prevents them from becoming discouraged…It’s impossible to stand in His presence and be a pessimist. If we focus on our problems they’ll seem gigantic. But as we focus on God we see our situation in perspective and are assured that all things are possible.’

Soulfood: Isaiah 1-2, 2 Corinthians 11.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:33am On Sep 05, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

AN HONEST QUESTION

Saturday, 5th September, 2020

‘How long will you hide your face from me?’
Psalm 13:1 NIV

When Kelly James and two climbing buddies died on Oregon’s Mount Hood in the USA, his brother Frank, a professor of theology, admitted: ‘It’s one thing to talk about death in the abstract. It’s another to cope with the death of someone you love…Death is ugly. We can’t – and shouldn’t – try to make it palatable with pious platitudes…One question haunts me, “Where was God when Kelly was freezing to death?” For me not to ask would be a failure to take God seriously…I’m not suggesting mere mortals stand in judgment of God…God doesn’t report to me. But an honest question from a broken heart is a good and righteous thing.’ David wasn’t afraid to ask God, ‘How long will you hide your face?’ Then a few verses later the same distressed David declares, ‘But I trust in your unfailing love’ (Psalm 13:5 NIV).

Frank James continues: ‘Amid all the spiritual consternation God, manifested Himself in my grief. Somehow He’s found in the disappointment, confusion, and raw emotions. This doesn’t exactly make sense to me, and I don’t like it. But my concept of faith has become Abrahamic…I must trust God even when I don’t understand…as Christians have confessed for centuries, “We look for the resurrection of the dead” (see 1 Corinthians 15:42)…Amid enough tears to fill an ocean…we’ve had to bury loved ones. But we bury them with this promise, “For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive” (1 Corinthians 15:22 NIV). It doesn’t indemnify us against grief…It does, however, take faith to depths where hope begins to poke through the heartache, like a sunbeam piercing a cloudy sky.’

Soulfood: Isaiah 3-4, 2 Corinthians 12.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:26am On Sep 07, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T ’SUFFER FOOLS GLADLY'

Sunday, 6th September, 2020

‘Fools despise wisdom and instruction.’
Proverbs 1:7 NKJV

Three Hebrew words are used to define the word ‘fool’ in Proverbs. 1) ‘Kesil.’ This refers to a hard-headed person who thinks he or she needs no advice. 2) ‘Ewil.’ This word has a root meaning of ‘growing thick of fluids’. It refers to a thick-headed person who refuses to listen to counsel. 3) ‘Nabal.’ This refers to an empty-headed person who demonstrates his or her lack of wisdom through a foolish lifestyle. So the fool is an empty-headed, thick-headed, hard-headed person who gets a failing grade when it comes to the school of wisdom. They may be intellectually brilliant, financially successful, and socially admired, but they’re morally and spiritually bankrupt. Solomon warns, ‘Fools die for lack of wisdom’ (Proverbs 10:21 NKJV). Just as a body will die from lack of oxygen, a man or woman will ultimately and eternally die from a lack of wisdom. Then Solomon bottom-lines it: ‘Go from the presence of a foolish man, when you do not perceive in him the lips of knowledge’ (Proverbs 14:7 NKJV).

The message is clear: only a fool hangs around with fools! So when you’re forming a friendship, here are some questions to which you need answers: Does the other person bring out the best or the worst in you? Do they have a positive or a negative attitude? What other kinds of friends do they keep? Are they involved in things that violate your values? Do they exercise restraint and control their temper? Do they draw you closer to God or drive you further from Him?

Soulfood: Luke 17:1-19, Psalms 91-93.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:45am On Sep 07, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

MURPHY'S LAW OR GOD'S LAW?

Monday, 7th September, 2020

‘Don’t ever stop thinking about what is truly worthwhile.’
Philippians 4:8 CEV

It’s reported that in 1949 Captain Edward Murphy, an engineer working on a project for the United States Air Force, became angry because of a wrongly wired transducer. Scolding the technician responsible, Murphy said, ‘If there’s any way to do it wrong, he’ll find it!’ Over time such thinking became known as Murphy’s Law. Basically it states, ‘Nothing is as easy as it looks. Everything takes longer than you expect, and if anything can go wrong, it will – at the worst possible moment.’ How negative! Who would enjoy life if they lived it according to that philosophy? Because they always expected the worst – they’d get it!

God’s law disagrees completely with Murphy’s Law. The world may expect Murphy’s Law to operate in their lives, but as a redeemed child of God, you need to resist that kind of thinking and embrace God’s law. In essence, here’s what it says: ‘If anything can go right, it will. Nothing is as difficult as it looks. Everything is more rewarding than it appears, and if anything good can happen to anybody, it’ll happen to me.’ Think how much more you could you enjoy life if your thoughts agreed with God’s law, and not Murphy’s. The fact is, God has a great life for you – one He wants you to enjoy to the fullest. So instead of blowing everything out of proportion and contradicting God’s Word, stand on this promise: ‘We know…all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose’ (Romans 8:28 NKJV). That’s what it means to live by God’s law – not Murphy’s!

Soulfood: Isaiah 5-6, 2 Corinthians 13.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:49am On Sep 08, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD HAS PROMISED TO BLESS YOU!

Tuesday, 8th September, 2020

‘The LORD your God will bless you as he has promised.’
Deuteronomy 15:6 NLT

Sometimes life beats you down so much that you give up hoping and believing that anything good will ever happen for you. If that’s where you are today, read these words: ‘“I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord…“plans for good…to give you a future and a hope'’ (Jeremiah 29:11 NLT). God has a good plan for each of us, but not all of us experience it. Why? Two reasons: 1) We don’t realise we have rights and privileges. We believe God can save us and take us to heaven when we die, but don’t think He can do anything about our past, present, or future. 2) We live far below the level He intended because we see ourselves in the wrong light. We believe He can bless anybody – except us – because we’re not worthy. God has clothed you in the righteousness of Christ, so you’re worthy in His sight and He has plans to ‘bless you as He has promised’.

In Bible days, when a new king came to the throne, he made sure the old king and his family were put to death; that way nobody could rise up against him. So when David replaced King Saul, Mephibosheth, Saul’s grandson, fled to the wilderness in fear. But David was a different kind of king. Instead of seeking to wipe out his predecessor’s family, he asked, ‘Is there still anyone…left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan’s sake?’ (2 Samuel 9:1 NKJV). ‘Why would God bless me?’ you ask. The answer is simple but clear: for Christ’s sake!

Soulfood: Isaiah 7-8, Galatians 1.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:22am On Sep 09, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

RADICAL COMMITMENT (1)

Wednesday, 9th September, 2020

‘Crucified with Christ…I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.’
Galatians 2:20 NIV

Many people today want to get as much as they can for themselves while giving as little in return as possible. They want to be there for their friends in the good times, but absent in the not-so-good ones. Sadly, national statistics confirm this lack of commitment. The marriage rate is down while the divorce rate is up. Involvement in ministry and worthy causes that help the needy are all down. Why? Because people don’t want to put themselves on the line, or be pinned down by responsibility. We often view opportunities to serve others as obligations, therefore we avoid them. We’re a sound bite generation with a short attention span, accustomed to fifteen-second advertisements and fast food. We want our sermons simple, entertaining, and ‘feel-good’. Yes, radical commitment is rare – but it’s what God requires of you.

Commitment means your promise is binding whether it’s convenient or not. Let’s look at a few examples. Commitment to marriage. Marriage, as God sees it, isn’t a fifty-fifty arrangement. It’s a mutual agreement to give 100 per cent of ourselves. It’s a lifetime covenant between you and your spouse: ‘for better or worse; for richer or poorer; in sickness and in health; until parted by death.’ And that covenant is a lot easier to live up to when both partners have learned, like Paul, to say, ‘I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.’ That means dying to self-interest is the key to great relationships.

Soulfood: Isaiah 9-10, Galatians 2.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:00am On Sep 10, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

RADICAL COMMITMENT (2)

Thursday, 10th September, 2020

‘Give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.’
Luke 9:23 NLT

Here are three Bible examples of radical commitment: 1) Commitment on the job. In the past, employers appreciated their workers, and workers valued their employers and their jobs. Today’s workplace is often adversarial, with employees criticising their bosses and doing the minimum required to get by, while many bosses have become increasingly demanding, taking their workers for granted. This isn’t God’s way. His way calls for mutual commitment between management and labour. Paul says: ‘Obey your earthly masters…always with an eye to obeying the real master, Christ. Don’t just do what you have to do to get by…work heartily…keeping in mind that no matter who happens to be giving the orders, you’re really serving God’ (Ephesians 6:5-8 MSG).

2) Commitment at church. Many Christians have adopted a cafeteria-style approach towards church. We pick what we like and leave what we don’t. But membership in Christ’s church involves a covenant relationship with a body of believers who watch over, cherish, and pray for one other, and fulfil the great commission together (see 1 Corinthians 12:12-31).

3) Commitment to Christ. Christ is not looking for wishy-washy, ‘lukewarm’ followers (see Revelation 3:16). He told the crowd, ‘If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.’ That means you no longer follow your own wishes and will, you follow Christ and His will. That’s radical commitment, and you are called to it.

Soulfood: Isaiah 11-13, Galatians 3.

Credits: UCB, GSAF.
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GUIDELINES FOR PARENTING (1)

Friday, 11th September, 2020

‘Do not withhold correction from a child.’
Proverbs 23:13 NKJV

When it comes to discipline, your primary concern should never be your own comfort, but the ‘soul’ [mind, will and emotions] of your child! Discipline, or the lack thereof, can set off a good or bad chain reaction. If your children don’t respect authority in the home, they won’t respect it in the school, the government, the church, or ultimately even heaven itself. It’s just a small step from rebelling against the parents God gave them, to rebelling against the God who gave them their parents. And discipline should begin sooner rather than later. When a child is old enough to be told to do what’s right and they choose to do what’s wrong – that child is ready to be disciplined.

The Bible doesn’t specify an age limit in its definition of the word ‘child’. Just because your child is old enough to drive, shave, and date, doesn’t mean they’re beyond correction. They may be too old for a time-out or for confiscating toys, but there are other, more effective ways to discipline an adolescent or teenager. If you read the book of Proverbs carefully, you’ll find that Solomon was talking to a son who was old enough to join a street gang, be tempted by sexual sin, patronise prostitutes, go into debt, and get drunk. He wasn’t necessarily talking about primary school children. Bottom line: as long as your children are under your roof, they are under your jurisdiction, and you will give an account to God for how you used – or didn’t use – your authority.

Soulfood: Isaiah 14-16, Galatians 4.

Courtesy: UCB, GSAF.
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 1:51pm On Sep 12, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GUIDELINES FOR PARENTING (2)

Saturday, 12th September, 2020

‘Discipline your children; you’ll be glad you did.'
Proverbs 29:17 MSG

Several years ago, sociologists and child psychologists made an interesting discovery. Contemporary thought assumed that putting fences around playgrounds made children feel restricted in their recreation. And based on that theory it was decided to remove the fences so children wouldn’t feel confined. To the astonishment of the experts, the opposite effect occurred. Researchers found that children became more inhibited in their activities. They tended to huddle towards the middle of the playground and exhibited signs of insecurity. Interestingly, when the fences were replaced, the children once more played with great enthusiasm and freedom. What’s the lesson here? We all need boundaries – something to define the limits of safety and security. Whereas the ‘experts’ theorised that boundaries restrict creativity, children on the playground proved that we need a clear understanding of what’s safe and acceptable in order for ingenuity and inventiveness to flourish. That means your children will flourish and you’ll function better as a parent when guidelines are clearly communicated, and the consequences for not following them are completely understood.

There’s a humorous story of a father who gave his sixteen-year-old son his first car. Before handing him the keys, he said, ‘This is a magic car, Son.’ ‘Really?’ the boy replied. ‘Yeah,’ answered his dad. ‘One speeding ticket – and it will disappear!’ And if you buy a car for your child, it should be a ‘magic’ car too. Bottom line: God sets the rules for success in life, and He rewards those who honour them. In the words of Scripture: ‘Study this Book of Instruction continually…obey everything written in it…then will you prosper and succeed in all you do’ (Joshua 1:8 NLT).

Soulfood: Isaiah 17-19, Galatians 5.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:47am On Nov 19, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

REFINED ‘IN THE FURNACE OF SUFFERING’

Thursday, 18th November, 2020

‘I have refined you in the furnace of suffering.’
Isaiah 48:10 NLT

Never become jealous of someone else’s talent. And don’t be intimidated by it, because the God who called and equipped them will use you too. When you learn to appreciate and applaud the gift of God in someone else’s life, you put yourself in a position where He can bless you as well. The fact is, we’re all necessary to God’s plan. The Bible says, ‘God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased’ (1 Corinthians 12:18 NKJV). God sets and God allocates! So seek Him and you’ll find your assignment. Why did Jesus say, ‘Many are called, but few chosen’ (Matthew 20:16 NKJV)? Part of the answer is found in these words: ‘I have refined you, but not as silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of suffering.’

You need more than just a calling – you need character in order to have credibility. And that means spending time in the refiner’s fire. Generally speaking, it’s not your calling that gets you into trouble; it’s your character – or lack of it! God says: ‘I want to see how you respond under pressure. When you want a yes, but you have to live with a no. When you desire to be in public ministry, but you’re assigned to a back room.’ God is a wise businessman; He doesn’t put untested merchandise in His window. So what ‘furnace of suffering’ are you in today? Are you feeling the heat of the refiner’s fire? If so – rejoice! When you come out, you’ll be equipped and ready for service. And that’s the Word for you today!

Soulfood: Ezekiel 35-36, 1 Peter 1.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:44pm On Nov 22, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

Sunday, 22nd November, 2020

‘Go home…and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you.’
Mark 5:19 NKJV

Have you ever been somewhere so wonderful that you never wanted to leave? That’s how the man in Mark chapter 5 felt after Jesus healed him from a life of insanity. He wanted to travel with Jesus, listen to His teachings, witness His miracles, and enjoy His company. But Jesus told him to go home and tell His family what God had done for him. God doesn’t want you to live remote and distant from the rest of the world! The only way to keep what you have is to give it away. After a spiritual mountaintop experience, you must take what you’ve received and share it with those in the valley.

The man in today’s reading had spent years living in a graveyard. He was cutting himself and raving incoherently. Now the crowd saw him ‘sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind’ (Luke 8:35 NKJV). And that’s still how it works. First Jesus clothes you, then He calls you. When you come to Him, you’re spiritually naked, so He wraps you in His righteousness. Paul says, ‘Any man…in Christ…is a new creature: old things are passed away…all things are become new’ (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). Whereas you were once ‘in Adam’ where all die, now you’re ‘in Christ’ where all are made alive spiritually (see 1 Corinthians 15:22). Hymnist Edwin Mote wrote: ‘Clothed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne.’ But never forget that once you’re ‘clothed and in your right mind’, it’s your God-given mandate to go out and tell others what the Lord has done for you.

Soul food: Ezekiel 42-44, 1 Peter 4.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:21am On Nov 23, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

GOD IS GOOD – ALL THE TIME!

Monday, 23rd November, 2020

‘Examine and see how good the LORD is. Happy is the person who trusts him.’
Psalm 34:8 NCV

The psalmist said, ‘Examine and see how good the Lord is.’ Pay particular attention to the words ‘examine’ and ‘good’. What you believe about God manifests itself in the way you live. What does it mean to be ‘good’? It means living up to the best you know. And since God is omniscient (all-knowing), He knows what your best is! His goodness is beyond all question. Because God is good – not just pious, but really, practically, consistently good – your cup of well-being, security, peace, confidence, and joy can be overflowing! A good God cannot break His promise, abandon His children, or fail to love and bless them. You can be sure that in every circumstance He will treat you in the best possible way.

When your life seems to be falling apart, sometimes it’s difficult to see God’s goodness or feel that things will get better. That’s when you must use the faith God has already given you, and by an act of your will, trust Him (see Romans 12:3). A wise pastor was asked by a troubled parishioner, ‘Pastor, does the world look like a wreck to you too?’ He replied, ‘Yes, like the wreck of a bursting seed!’ Without undergoing the ‘wreck’ stage, during which its world literally falls apart, the acorn could never give life to an oak tree. So embrace God’s will in this trial because it’s ‘good, acceptable and perfect’, regardless of how it feels to you right now (see Romans 12:2). Ultimately, you’ll ‘see how good the Lord is. Happy is the person who trusts in him’!

Soul Food: Luke 22:31-46, Psalms 119:89-176.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:00am On Nov 24, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SHUN UNHEALTHY SELF-FOCUS (1)

Tuesday, 24th, November, 2020

‘Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith.’
2 Corinthians 13:5 NIV

Self-focus isn’t necessarily bad if it leads to spiritual growth. However, some people mistakenly assume that it’s a biblical mandate! After all, didn’t God tell us to ‘examine ourselves’? So with that in mind we start to wonder – ‘Do I measure up spiritually? Have I truly repented? Do I pray enough? Is God pleased with me?’ The truth is, focusing on yourself can keep you feeling discouraged and defeated. Let’s check and see what God actually says. There are only two mentions of self-examination in Scripture, and neither teaches us to indulge in self-focus. First, Paul challenged the Corinthians about tolerating gross sin in their church. A man was having an affair with his stepmother and no one seemed bothered by it. And because they had ‘not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they…indulged’ (2 Corinthians 12:21 NIV), Paul wrote, ‘Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith.’ This isn’t an invitation to self-focus, but a spiritual credential check-up. ‘See whether you are in the faith.’

Second, Paul corrected the Corinthians’ behaviour during the Lord’s Supper. Because some were getting drunk on communion wine, he said, ‘Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup’ (1 Corinthians 11:28 NIV). Paul’s not suggesting you become fixated on your flaws, but on the liberating truth that Jesus paid the price for all your sin – past, present, and future. The Bible says, ‘Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith’ (Hebrews 12:2 NIV). Growth, joy, and victory lie in abandoning unhealthy self-focus and staying Christ-focused!

Soul food: Ezekiel 45-46, 1 Peter 5.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:31am On Nov 25, 2020
THE WORD FOR TODAY

SHUN UNHEALTHY SELF-FOCUS (2)

Wednesday, 25th November, 2020

‘Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching.’
Luke 12:37 NKJV

When dealing with self-focus, you may ask, ‘What about those Scriptures that specifically tell us to “watch”? Aren’t they all about keeping an eye on ourselves?’ That’s a good question, so let’s take a look at some of those ‘watch’ passages in Scripture. In Mark 13:34-37 (NKJV) we read: ‘A man going to a far country…left his house and gave authority to his servants, and to each his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch. Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming – in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning – lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!’ What Jesus was teaching here is the exact opposite of self-focus. The doorkeeper wasn’t to watch himself, but to watch for his returning master.

Jesus expects us to forget ourselves, work conscientiously for His kingdom, and be watching and prepared for His return. He said, ‘Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself…have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them.’ Far from an obsessive self-introspection that leaves you exhausted, discouraged, and disappointed with yourself, Jesus wants you to be excited and involved in His work here on earth, to actively watch for the coming again of your Lord and King. ‘Look to Me [not to yourself!], and be saved…For I am God, and there is no other’ (Isaiah 45:22 NKJV). So focus more on God – and less on yourself.

Soul Food: Ezekiel 47-48, 2 Peter 1.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Kobojunkie: 11:36pm On Mar 15, 2023
Moneyfem:
THE WORD FOR TODAY FAITH
Sunday, 10th May, 2020
'Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.' Romans 10:17 NKJV
Let's define the word 'faith' more clearly. The Bible says faith is 'the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen' (Hebrews 11:1 NKJV). Faith isn't empty hope, or simply a positive confession of something we want to be true. Faith is recognising something that's already a reality despite the fact that it can't yet be seen.
The same paul who said that in Romans 10 vs 17, also said in Romans 2 vs 12 - 16 that Hearing alone cannot make you right with God. So when you read through even the opinions of Paul, be sure to get a good grasp of what he is in fact saying in the entire letter. undecided

First, contrary to what many may like to believe, Hebrews 11 vs 1 does not contain a definition of the word faith . Rather what the writer does in the context is attempts a figurative comparison of faith with the evidence/substance, the promises of God, that come as a result of ir. Faith itself is not defined in the context of that passage. For this reason, the word faith, in the context, is used in reference to efforts made by such a person as Abraham while pointing out the evidence/benefits that resulted from such effort. undecided

God Himself explained what the word faith means in Genesis 26 vs 5 when He pointed out that the reason why He made a promise to Abraham had to do with the fact that Abraham lived his life in submission and obedience of His, God's, teachings and commandments - Faith. God gave that as the one and the only reason why He made Abraham His friend. This offer we observe Jesus Christ makes with all those of His followers who will do as He says - John 15 vs 9 -14 — those who will submit to and obey His teachings and commandments in the Kingdom of God. So, there you have it. Faith refers to living one's life in continuous submission and obedience to God's commandments and teachings, and in our case, in Jesus Christ. This definition is observed as being used in the Old Testament as well as in the New Covenant by Jesus Christ Himself. undecided
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 5:07pm On Mar 21, 2023
You are right Sir. We have to live our lives in accordance to the Word of God.

Kobojunkie:
The same paul who said that in Romans 10 vs 17, also said in Romans 2 vs 12 - 16 that Hearing alone cannot make you right with God. So when you read through even the opinions of Paul, be sure to get a good grasp of what he is in fact saying in the entire letter. undecided

First, contrary to what many may like to believe, Hebrews 11 vs 1 does not contain a definition of the word faith . Rather what the writer does in the context is attempts a figurative comparison of faith with the evidence/substance, the promises of God, that come as a result of ir. Faith itself is not defined in the context of that passage. For this reason, the word faith, in the context, is used in reference to efforts made by such a person as Abraham while pointing out the evidence/benefits that resulted from such effort. undecided

God Himself explained what the word faith means in Genesis 26 vs 5 when He pointed out that the reason why He made a promise to Abraham had to do with the fact that Abraham lived his life in submission and obedience of His, God's, teachings and commandments - Faith. God gave that as the one and the only reason why He made Abraham His friend. This offer we observe Jesus Christ makes with all those of His followers who will do as He says - John 15 vs 9 -14 — those who will submit to and obey His teachings and commandments in the Kingdom of God. So, there you have it. Faith refers to living one's life in continuous submission and obedience to God's commandments and teachings, and in our case, in Jesus Christ. This definition is observed as being used in the Old Testament as well as in the New Covenant by Jesus Christ Himself. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

I Hear The Voice Of The Trumpet About To Sound / When A Guy Promised You Marriage Just Because Of Sex / GODWIN; Gospel Or Secular???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.