Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,420 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. (16635 Views)

Can I Get Married With This Income In Abeokuta, Ogun State? / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? / Can N50 000 Monthly Upkeep Money Be Enough For A Wife N Her 2 Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by MsTom(f): 6:17pm On Mar 04, 2010
VPG:

Understanding good women, where, in Nigeria yeah right! Of cos they will come out as understanding when you gat chips to show. So you saying pretty women no get iwa and people making 40K or less should start looking for ugly girls to marry?

You are getting me wrong. People look at the physical and forget the character. Beauty and character is very much possible.

PS: who says that girl is ugly, you? that ugly to you is a beauty to another.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by bababuff(m): 6:21pm On Mar 04, 2010
Bros,
Dont mind what people say, if you desire to marry go ahead. N40k is small, but it all depends on your lifestyle.
He who finds a wife, finds a good thing. Your fortune may change when you get married. Encourage your wife to work, so that she can support you.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by scottN(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2010
It's not abt what ppl say b4 u get into marriage neither is it abt saving money. It's abt whether that monthly income of urs can sustain u and your wife irrespective of what your wife's doing when u eventually get married. If u feel that a miracle will occur by way of wage increment after a short period into marriage then good luck 2 u. Bt as 4 me, I've been earning 6-digit-monthly-wage 4 quite some time now and I'm still testing the waters even tho' I've got a steady gf. 40k per mth may neva work 4 me, hwever, it may or may not work 4 u. It all depends on your wife 1st especially, then on d spending habit of both of u. Pls consider this b4 u even think of marriage

1 Like

Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by blackcypha(m): 6:31pm On Mar 04, 2010
hell no, it is way too small,
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by GL(f): 7:36pm On Mar 04, 2010
i wouldn't advice you to get married on that salary, but it's only you and your fiancee that can tell really. it all depends on how much she earns, the life she is used to living, and whether or not she can adapt to living a 40k life. also, is that salary meeting all your needs presently or are you barely making ends meet. so gate-men and labourers raise kids on even less than 40k, is that the life you want for your children? unless your wife earns at least the same amount, it'll be best to shelve any child-bearing plans for a while. kids are quite expensive and it's not fair to bring kids into the world to suffer.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by VPG: 7:53pm On Mar 04, 2010
MsTom:

You are getting me wrong. People look at the physical and forget the character. Beauty and character is very much possible.

PS: who says that girl is ugly, you? that ugly to you is a beauty to another.

HabaHabaHaba, I'm sure she's a Barbie. And I totally agree with you that one man's meat is another man's poison. But MsTom will you as a person marry someone that brings in 40K/month Please be honest and forget what you or ur husband makes right now.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by dagold4eva(m): 8:27pm On Mar 04, 2010
i would like to ask you if u have accommodation now?with 40k u can get married if u are not just getting a place,u are not d one paying for the marriage and u have saved over a period of atleast 1yr. if u are earning 40k and u want to get married,i wuld advice that u try and save for some time(maybe 1yr).with d savings u can start planing how to manage a family and also try to increase ur income.even if u want to do a small wedding,d gift and wedding requirement are not cheap.u can get married wit 40k but u must have saved over time.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by emmydee(m): 8:36pm On Mar 04, 2010
so? if he earns only 40k, does that mean he can't marry? How much do u want him to earn b4 he marrys?

Guy, go ahead and marry ur babe. However, it all depends on d level you wanna play. surely 40k is poor, u can manage it with ur family but d 40k certainly controls ur level o.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by MsTom(f): 9:05pm On Mar 04, 2010
VPG:

HabaHabaHaba, I'm sure she's a Barbie. And I totally agree with you that one man's meat is another man's poison. But MsTom will you as a person marry someone that brings in 40K/month Please be honest and forget what you or your husband makes right now.

Funny, My hubby was in the guy's shoes. His debt was way more than his income. So, he brought no money home. Over here, you have no choice but to pay your debts(by force). When we got married, I was rounding up my master's prog. After marriage, I got a good job. We relied on that income for a while, while he went back to school. To your question, Yes, If he is a good man.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by tai2(m): 9:19pm On Mar 04, 2010
If you lived in a country with infrastructure, great public schools, efficient and reliable transportation system, housing, low rate of unemployment and chances for career progression, perhaps I'd say go ahead. This is Nigeria, so don't be stupid. Have you noticed how all the people who are talking of marrying wives on 19k and 2,5k are talking of by the grace of God by the grace of God? Is it by the grace of God alone you want to train your future kids, open your damn eyes!

It is opinions like these that are the cause of so many criminals we have in society today, people with no money to maintain a home get married and start giving birth like rabbits, then when these children grow up in a Nigerian society that is as selfish as they come, they start looking for means to get money quick and fast because they are trying to escape the vicious cycle of poverty their parents brought them into.

Nigeria has no infrastructure period. How are you going to afford school fees, rent etc? Some people are here suggesting you put off having children for a while. I laugh. In Nigeria, where your relatives come knocking on your door after 1 year asking for grandkids? Don't put yourself in trouble in order to satisfy the urges of others. How much have you saved ? If you get sacked from your job after marriage what will you do?

Think of the people whose lives you want to ruin. Grace of God is a lazy man's prayer, God gives us all his grace, it is what we choose to do with it that counts. Sort out your problems first before you end up marrying a woman who will spend her night's in church doing night vigil praying for a miracle. God gives us all brains, use yours. This is why other countries are more developed than we are, other people approach problems practically, Nigerians approach problems hoping for the next miracle. Then when the miracle doesn't come they look for who to blame for their woes.I have given you the advice I will give any man and this is my second post on the matter. Open your eyes.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by Pittbaby(f): 9:31pm On Mar 04, 2010
If you lived in a country with infrastructure, great public schools, efficient and reliable transportation system, housing, low rate of unemployment and chances for career progression, perhaps I'd say go ahead. This is Nigeria, so don't be silly. Have you noticed how all the people who are talking of marrying wives on 19k and 2,5k are talking of by the grace of God by the grace of God? Is it by the grace of God alone you want to train your future kids, open your damn eyes!

It is opinions like these that are the cause of so many criminals we have in society today, people with no money to maintain a home get married and start giving birth like rabbits, then when these children grow up in a Nigerian society that is as selfish as they come, they start looking for means to get money quick and fast because they are trying to escape the vicious cycle of poverty their parents brought them into.

Nigeria has no infrastructure period. How are you going to afford school fees, rent etc? Some people are here suggesting you put off having children for a while. I laugh. In Nigeria, where your relatives come knocking on your door after 1 year asking for grandkids? Don't put yourself in trouble in order to satisfy the urges of others. How much have you saved ? If you get sacked from your job after marriage what will you do?

Think of the people whose lives you want to ruin. Grace of God is a lazy man's prayer, God gives us all his grace, it is what we choose to do with it that counts. Sort out your problems first before you end up marrying a woman who will spend her night's in church doing night vigil praying for a miracle. God gives us all brains, use yours. This is why other countries are more developed than we are, other people approach problems practically, Nigerians approach problems hoping for the next miracle. Then when the miracle doesn't come they look for who to blame for their woes.I have given you the advice I will give any man and this is my second post on the matter. Open your eyes.

harsh but very true !!!! but still I know people getting by with two kids on less. The future is not that bleak for someone on 40K. I am sure there are people who will think 100K sef is not enough.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by MsTom(f): 9:34pm On Mar 04, 2010
tai2:

If you lived in a country with infrastructure, great public schools, efficient and reliable transportation system, housing, low rate of unemployment and chances for career progression, perhaps I'd say go ahead. This is Nigeria, so don't be silly. Have you noticed how all the people who are talking of marrying wives on 19k and 2,5k are talking of by the grace of God by the grace of God? Is it by the grace of God alone you want to train your future kids, open your damn eyes!

Dont wanna argue over infrastructures or what not. Things are not as perfect as you stated. Some people are moving back to nigeria or ghana to source for a living. Believe me. Used to live amongst Africans.

Now, what happens when you get a job of say 1million per month, get married, probably have kids and then both hubby and wife loses the job? Wont life continue? Didnt you do the right thing by getting married when you had money? Believe me, only few people save or invest. No one knows the future. Please answer these questions, then I would understand why you say he cannot get married.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by ola4yinka(m): 9:50pm On Mar 04, 2010
Again,

LUKE 12: 22-28
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by MsTom(f): 9:57pm On Mar 04, 2010
ola4yinka:

Again,

LUKE 12: 22-28

Thanks. good to know I am not the only Nigerian thinking this way. There is hope
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by tai2(m): 10:23pm On Mar 04, 2010
MsTom:

Dont wanna argue over infrastructures or what not. Things are not as perfect as you stated. Some people are moving back to nigeria or ghana to source for a living. Believe me. Used to live amongst Africans.

Now, what happens when you get a job of say 1million per month, get married, probably have kids and then both hubby and wife loses the job? Wont life continue? Didnt you do the right thing by getting married when you had money? Believe me, only few people save or invest. No one knows the future. Please answer these questions, then I would understand why you say he cannot get married.

With 1 million you could have saved enough. Even if you didn't save, you would have assets which you could pawn and cope with the situation of having no job. 40k is something else entirely. 40k a month means he earns 480,000k a year and probably saves none of it.

Let us assume the impossible, that  in this economy he has saved half his salary for a whole year in order to start his "happily" married life:

1. So he starts out with 200k

2.Rent in for a rundown location,if he lives in Lagos= 80k

He now has 120k

4. Furnishing his new location  with cheap furniture and the assorted kerosene stove =20k

We now have 100k

5. The wedding assuming he gets people to contribute and holds it in a very modest location. Traditional drinks for greedy village relatives included = 80k

We now have 20k

6. He starts out his marriage with 20k

7. Feeding is set at how much for the month, lets give him 15k for feeding

8. Transportation at 250 bucks a day for the month = 7.5k

9. Calls for the month @ 400 naira a week so for the month =2k

10. He has to cut his hair and at a cheap barber 150 bucks every week = 600 naira

11. He needs to purchase things in the house such as soap to wash their clothes, lotion, soap, deodorant etc =10k

12. The almighty Nigerian tithe = 4k

13. Let us assume he has a small debt or two to take care of = 4-9k

No newspapers, he doesn't drink beer, he never falls sick, he does not have a generator, neither does he buy fuel, has no younger ones to give money, never lends anyone a kobo,  doesn't buy new clothes or even books to advance his career prospects , wait.,we haven't even factored his new wife in all this , shocked I don't think you people are serious.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by snowdrops(m): 10:27pm On Mar 04, 2010
Oh boy see breakdown
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by MsTom(f): 11:53pm On Mar 04, 2010
@tai2,
Haba! bros, you just concluded that men are not supposed to get married. No amount of income they make can be enuff for them to marry
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by VPG: 3:07am On Mar 05, 2010
MsTom:

Funny, My hubby was in the guy's shoes. His debt was way more than his income. So, he brought no money home. Over here, you have no choice but to pay your debts(by force). When we got married, I was rounding up my master's prog. After marriage, I got a good job. We relied on that income for a while, while he went back to school. To your question, Yes, If he is a good man.
MsTom you are not even in Nigeria and you are giving advice on what again, 40Gs/month. Please don't compare your hubby to this man o. No let God Vex O.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by Centkaycee(f): 10:57am On Mar 05, 2010
This is one of the most wonderful thread I have ever seen in NAIRALAND. Where one brought out a view burdened in his heart, and Landers reasonably erred their views one after the other, Good & very Lovely.

My own view on this thread is, [b][/b] When one is going into marriage, he is neither marrying money nor wealth, but your loved one. There is no amount of money that will be enough for you when you marry for money without a genuine love for the person even if the person is a banker.

There is nothing better than little or moderate with comfort and you live in love under good care and concern. Than when you feel there is money and you don't have peace or comfort.

May be you want wait till you start earning half a million before getting married, fine. But Let me tell you, you won't get the right person. Instead of you talking, money talks and influences. Any body who is comfortable with you in less, will make your home a haven when much comes. grin
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by beninman1(m): 11:00am On Mar 05, 2010
If others can, yes you can!
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 05, 2010
earning a million a month does not guarantee a happy or lasting marriage

also - mo money, mo problems

the more money you have, the more your expenses will be
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by pannyman(m): 2:32pm On Mar 05, 2010
@poster, ok go ahead and get married.What ever you see you take. Nigerians are so accustomed to "managing".
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
Our hausa gateman just got his second wife last year and she is pregnant and he earns 10k per month. always happy and sends both kids to school. unfckinbelievable shocked

Here i am struggling with one kid and earn way much than he does.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by pannyman(m): 5:15pm On Mar 05, 2010
@lagerwhenindoubt, if you think your gateman only earns 10,000 naira then think again.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by chibest5(m): 5:27pm On Mar 05, 2010
My brother, dont mind what people are saying, you can marry with that range of salary, is only we Africans that want to do it in a big way, oyibo no send you.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Mar 05, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Our hausa gateman just got his second wife last year and she is pregnant and he earns 10k per month. always happy and sends both kids to school. unfckinbelievable  shocked

Here i am struggling with one kid and earn way much than he does.

a friend told me - its not raising  kids thats hard; its raising butta kids

i'm sure ur kid is eating rice krispies versus pap for your maiguards kids
i'm sure ur kid sleeps with fan/ac - while maiguards kids sleep in the heat
your kid wears imported clothes while maiigaurds kids wear bend down boutique(also imported, incidentally cheesy)

and so on and so forth
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by boy1(m): 6:58pm On Mar 05, 2010
if she's worth d trouble,then go ahead. ."A Good spouse and health is a person's best weath."
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by maray(f): 7:38pm On Mar 05, 2010
'
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by VPG: 10:41pm On Mar 05, 2010
oyb:

a friend told me - its not raising kids thats hard; its raising butta kids

i'm sure your kid is eating rice krispies versus pap for your maiguards kids
i'm sure your kid sleeps with fan/ac - while maiguards kids sleep in the heat
your kid wears imported clothes while maiigaurds kids wear bend down boutique(also imported, incidentally cheesy)

and so on and so forth

True Talk.
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 05, 2010
Let me advice you like i would advice my brother. Marriage is a good thing and comes with blessings from God. However, we have to carefully weigh the issue before going in. If your fiancee earns a little money or runs a business then you can survive on both incomes. However, you will need to work harder probably have a small business on the side to bring in more income. You may need to hold on with having kids, Its gonna be hard enough for both of you for a while.
Whatever you do, pls do not have a wedding beyound your means, do not start your married life in debt. You can do a low key wedding for now, probably a court wedding and church blessing on sunday. Later in life when you have some money you can suprise your wife with a great wedding probably during an anniversary. Its a bold step for you but as bold as u are u have to apply a lot of reasoning.
I wish you the best in whatever decsion you make, make Gods peace guide and protect you
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by ayettymama(f): 10:17am On Mar 06, 2010
people are soo funny

its either they like comin on nl and chattin shizz

or they dont no what they are talking abt!

of course- 40k is actually alot of money!!- its the amt som e banks pay thier cashiers!

its the amt SENIOR officials of some states recieve!!!!

got dayuum in some states thats the maximum salary potential!

many people live on less than that in lagos and abj!!

everyone finds a way of living according to ur salary!

SO yes poster- you can marry ur wife

if she wants luxury she can also work!- and u shuld now start saving for ur kids and your future!
Re: Earn 40,000 Monthly Can I Get Married. by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 06, 2010
God bless you Ayettymama.
People don't seize to amaze me on NL.
How many people actually earn N40000 a month

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Husband Sacked From Bank Job / What Can Make You Cut Ties With Your Family Members / A Nairalander Bathing A Baby And Changing Diaper(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.