Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni (39589 Views)

History Of Ika People(umunede) / Ika People / The Ika People{igbanke}. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 23, 2011
ChinenyeN: I agree with you totally!
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ezeagu(m): 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2011
You think that is bad? You don't want to hear what Anambra people say about Abia dialects! shocked
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2011
Ezeagu, what do they say?
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ezeagu(m): 6:02pm On Apr 23, 2011
Abia dialects are supposed to be 'harsh' and 'bush'.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 8:47pm On Apr 23, 2011
Oh. We just call that deeply colorful. cheesy
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Obiagu1(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2011
omonuan:

I think it is easier to learn your Igbo dialect first and transition to central Igbo than vice versa.  Every Igbo dialect from Ika, Enuani, Ukwuani, Ikwerre has central Igbo coded into it. You just need adjustments. However, if you learn central Igbo first, you may get lost in your dialect. I know that outside Onitsha and Ogbaru (Anambra) and perhaps Oguta (Imo) and Ndoni (Rivers), other Igbo do not understand Delta Igbo dialects very well unless they are modified or adjusted for general understanding! Even when you modify the Delta Igbo, other Igbo sometimes laugh at you.

I remember two years ago, I was at Ihiala and a shop keeper said to me "Igbo gi e yere eye" meaning that my Igbo was not well done because I spoke a modified enuani dialect. Pat Utomi had the same problem at Ohaneze one time when some uninformed Igbo said that he was not speaking Igbo because he spoke Enuani. I have heard Delta Igbo called "koi-koi Igbo" by some other Igbo too even in this forum.

I am proud of my Igbo heritage but I resent it sometimes when my dialect is disparaged by my brothers accross the Niger. Although, Anioma people are equally guilty of the demeaning references but I believe, it is more prevalent amongst the SE Igbo.

It happens to everyone. I've been to a town close to Aguleri in Anambra and when I spoke, all of them grinned and chuckled as if I was speaking trash. Most of those that behave that way have not traveled out of their towns and are not familiar with other dialects. I had to speak slowly so they could understand me but I could understand them very well.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Obiagu1(m): 9:01pm On Apr 23, 2011
On the issue of which is best to learn first, central Igbo or ones dialect. I'll say any of them is a good start, once you're comfortable with the Igbo language you speak, you can always adapt to any dialect depending on how much time you spend with the speakers of such dialect.

I learnt central Igbo first but when I spent nearly 2 months in the village, I almost spoke my dialect completely but lost everything again when I returned to Enugu and never had the time to spend more than 5 days in the village. Today, nearly all of my town people live outside the town so when we return for Christmas, almost all of us spoke central Igbo.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 9:26pm On Apr 23, 2011
All this talk about how people respond when one speaks reminds me of a time I came across one Onitsha boy around 14-16 years old, and another time when I tried to have a conversation with two Oguta girls at my college. Let's just say it didn't work out. The Oguta girls and I couldn't even begin to converse (I could barely make out what they were saying, and they apparently didn't understand me at all), and the boy told me that what I was speaking wasn't even Igbo. Man, that was a funny night.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by sonya4all(m): 10:57pm On Apr 23, 2011
Idigun yeka ma mburu ye unulechari efor,nmo ri umuode yeka ma miri ye unu efor,mpkitime yeka napu nne le nedi u ihe we cho.Ebe omeni une si ni une meko nim ra miri bu mkpu tor ali.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 12:05am On Apr 24, 2011
sonya4all:

Idigun yeka ma mburu ye unulechari efor,nmo ri umuode yeka ma miri ye unu efor,mpkitime yeka napu nne le nedi u ihe we cho.Ebe omeni une si ni une meko nim ra miri bu mkpu tor ali.
ii nunu otu i ji di edetu hnwe ñña na nia. Didii to hnwe i dinu ika nunu? grin
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ezeagu(m): 12:43am On Apr 24, 2011
sonya4all:

What is this you're writing? You don't even know how to write Ika. Ki wuzi hun?
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by grafikdon: 3:50pm On Apr 26, 2011
Obiagu1:

It happens to everyone. I've been to a town close to Aguleri in Anambra and when I spoke, all of them grinned and chuckled as if I was speaking trash. Most of those that behave that way have not traveled out of their towns and are not familiar with other dialects. I had to speak slowly so they could understand me but I could understand them very well.

Same experience here. Some people furrow their faces in bewilderment when I switch from central Igbo to my Ekwulobia dialect, but in most cases (if not all) it is done without malicious intent. When friends are involved in the ''mockery'', it is usually done as a comic relief. But to be fair, there are words and phrases in my dialect that bear little or no semblance to the widely known Igbo words/terms and can be easily mistaken for a different language by those unfamiliar with the dialect.

Example:

1. Ibene/Kana/Kanwa (Here)

2. Wehine/Wehune (Now)

3. Ibenihi/Ibehu (There)

4. Etu (butt)

5. Mgbaduga/Apalapa (foofoo/Akpu)

6. Okeibulu (Elderly woman)

7. Nihi (look/Look at)

8. Gbaduo (Walk)

9. Ndi (Who/what)

10. Akiyiwe (Coconut)

11. Ngwa (fire)

And others too numerous to mention.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 4:08pm On Apr 26, 2011
Grafikdon, would you mind using that ndi in a sentence?
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by grafikdon: 4:57pm On Apr 26, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Grafikdon, would you mind using that ndi in a sentence?

Ndi onye na awisa mmili n'ana?

Obu onye/kedu onye/Onye na awusa mmiri n'ala?

Ndi iwhe mele ijili wele vuo ya aso?

kedu ihe mere/Obu gini mere ijiri buo ya aso? Maka gini ka ijiri buo ya aso? Gini kpatara iji buo ya aso

*I believe it can be ''iji'' or ''ijiri"*
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 5:21pm On Apr 26, 2011
Alright. Thank you, and that is Ekwulobia right?
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by grafikdon: 5:22pm On Apr 26, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Alright. Thank you, and that is Ekwulobia right?

Yep.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 5:30pm On Apr 26, 2011
That's interesting. I've always thought (or assumed, whichever one I guess) that Anambra tongues lacked "v", because I've never come across an Anambra speaker who spoke and uttered a "v" sound. The closest I've heard to "v" from Anambra is Awka (I think); some awkward strain of b/v/w; don't really know how best to express it.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ezeagu(m): 8:13pm On Apr 26, 2011
Heeeey, Igbo dictionaries will reach four thousand versions. grin
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Abagworo(m): 8:19pm On Apr 26, 2011
I think Ekwulobia is Isuama judging from the words above.It means they speak similar dialect with Ideato,Nkwerre,Orlu,Mbano and Isu.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Obiagu1(m): 8:54pm On Apr 26, 2011
I think we say Ndii too but pronounced more like Ndiyi with the "y" very faint.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 9:10pm On Apr 26, 2011
Abagworo, you mentioned Isuama as a group, what other groupings do you think there are in terms of speech?

Obiagu1:

I think we say Ndii too but pronounced more like Ndiyi with the "y" very faint.
Which group is this, if you don't mind me asking?

ezeagu:

Heeeey, Igbo dictionaries will reach four thousand versions. grin
Why not? cheesy Why must we act hypocritically with "one dictionary" as if all our various lects don't matter?
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ezeagu(m): 9:30pm On Apr 26, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Why not? cheesy Why must we act hypocritically with "one dictionary" as if all our various lects don't matter?

We must all learn Onicha by force. grin I like the diversity, I wish there will be at least one person each to all of these languages who will create a dictionary. At least if, some of them are lost, they will be still there in the dictionary. Talking about that, does anybody know of any Igbo languages that have been lost, or are nearly lost?
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 3:58am On Apr 27, 2011
ezeagu:

We must all learn Onicha by force. grin I like the diversity, I wish there will be at least one person each to all of these languages who will create a dictionary.
I'm actually working on one for Ngwa. Honestly, I never quite realized how tedious dictionary-work really is. It'll be worth it in the end though.

ezeagu:

At least if, some of them are lost, they will be still there in the dictionary. Talking about that, does anybody know of any Igbo languages that have been lost, or are nearly lost?
I read somewhere about a small community somewhere by Onicha (Anambra) who's own is nearly lost. Can't recall the name of the community, but if I remember correctly, the writer was more or less implying that that community's tongue is practically endangered. That was a while ago, so I'm guessing by now, it may be practically extinct. I'm going to go search for that write-up.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by agbotaen: 8:37pm On Sep 08, 2011
this is suppose to be an ika forum, but i have not seen any ika here,however let me write some ikA language as spoken in owa and some ika cla
i will write like we speak in owa and central ika ,spoken by many.
1. nani- how
2. nani iri- how are you .
3. kihain- why did you
4. kiro- what is it
5. owan- this
6. ohun- this
7. elehun-- which
8. asaka---------i cannot
9. nin saka------ i will
10. bihia- let go
11. nke esi --- true
12. elen keshi--------- lie or it is not true
13. mba---- no
14. egilegbeshi--- is it true ?
15. dodo - i beg / please
16. uhoin-- day
17. uhoin hun--- that day.
18. chair --- agah/ agarah
19. bottle - ogor
20 , knife- ebeke
21. star- okokise
22. moon - ifon
23. ogbara ogbe-- street
24. idumu - village
25. ewuru- cloth
26. isere- outside
27. ezagogo- outside.
28. ugboko/egboko- forest.
29. farm- ogo/ ekwu/ugboh
30. owu/ osi - friend
31- owum or osim - my friend
32. hi - to call
33. hi nim - call that person
33. we ria hi - they are calling
34. nin hi - i will call.
35. ehi- guardian god
36- oselobue/orise- God

1. okphoho ni ,nani iri ?
ohunma , kihain igi ile ni saka jen ogua idumu ,hun we hi ogen we gi bularkor okenyen hun ikpekpe. ri imen ogbara ogbe.

ewuru

2 Likes

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by agbotaen: 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2011
1. okenyen ni lala ni ,ria dun ihian ile ikpa ,wu aduaran , onyen saka kwondon e , no bihia kor a .- this man that is punching every body is a giant who will hold him and not let him go.
2. ki ri e men i ? what is wrong with you
emu ria kum or irehun ri e memem- i am sick .
3. omegu ya bia ni enyin jeme de shime inyenren .
come later and lets have a discursion .
4. ulakpa ni lala ni chono kwondon irabor, o kwondon gu a , o gi egan che eka, -this police man that is coming wants to arresst irabor and handcuff him.
5. ya ologbo no chuma ogwo, ogwo no gbam e yi oro ,o gen oyi gu oro, ya eduke no fetenhin ideminze,ono jugbo ologbo ,sia bihia ogwo, ya ogwo no kpanmin eduke- the cat was chasing the rat ,and the rat started shouting and suddenly the lion was awake and he frightened the cat and told him to let go of the rat ,and the rat thanked the lion.
6. ya umun isreal no bushi david elu ,ghoghosome ria gba ukpekpe ria kpanmin oselobue hun o gi chuniwe uya- the children of isreal lifted david up, and started praising God for helping them to chase away suffering.
7. ogen edei , oku ri a ri, oku hun wu oselobue, oku hun wu ukpe ihian ile, owen okenyen ohu ,hun bia da sia ni ukpe hun oshiaeri , ele ya wu ukpe hun,mani ya ke oselobue tume ,no shiani ukpe hun eri.-----------in the beginning the word was existing ,the word was god,and the word was the light of every body,there was one man who came to bear witness for the word ,he was not the word but was the one that god established to bear witness for the word.
8. a nyanham ihien oselobue menim ,ohikogbe- i remember what god did for me it is very big.
9. n jenkon da kpanmin oselobue ,make ogho a le mgbodon o ri e yem ogen ukpokpo le idoboro gi kenim ogba,ya wehenim ukpe le ighogho nria ghogho.--------- i will thank god for his grace and protection which he has been given me in times of trouble and evil,he brought light and happiness to me.
10. dodo , yenim meka ni gbe iyetor ulor ni gha akpakali de ru ekwe e ------------please assist me in building the foundation of this house to the door.
11. dodo yan ikeke ni de ru ogbe enyin, edude le ni ihian uwaya oo-----------------please ride this bycycle to our town ,dont hit
any person. on the road.
12. mbie ko bie, no noyen asusu jenkon da hi nedi e-----------------it will be hard but a stamarer will call his father
13. okafor dodo hi nim osi/ owu e lakor ni ----------okafor please call me your friend that is going.
14. i jen kornin oke hun ,ye tudon e jen----------if you are climbing up to the hill , do it gently.
15. ulo egbuni ihian , isere ara saka--------------------if one is not killed by ones family ,then out people cannot kill one.
16. otunmunyeni lala ni ria cho nedi i , dodo weheni we agara ni we dino --------this visitors coming are looking for your father ,please bring them chairs for them to sit.
17. eje agbon e yi agbon- bad family resembles each other .
18, omam buru ara ma ifon--------------no person can throw stone at the moon.
19. ihien ewere le ohai ke ya hun, ihien ile ye men jen kor da wu iyare -----------------goodness and progress will be your portion, any thing you do will prosper.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ezeagu(m): 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2011
"Ewuru" a wuzikọ 'lion'?
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ChinenyeN(m): 10:40am On Sep 17, 2011
Yep, seeing the writings and the translations I know for sure now that it's most definitely his grammar (or in this case, lack thereof?) that's killing any chance of intelligibility.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by agbotaen: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2011
ewuru is not lion in ika , but ewuru means cloth or shirt.
2. udume or eduke is lion
3. eworo means leopard
4. ubidon means lion.
i think their are many here who are not ika and are trying to undermine ika language and people , but i will continue .
MAKING SENTENCES IS IKA LANGUAGE .
since ika is neither standard edo nor standard igbo language, it is a unique language of its own and it has its own grammar, also a point to note is that ika contains elements of igbo and edo languages , stringed together . combined with other indigenous ika language,
1. nani iri - how are you ?
ohunma - i am fine .
2. nani ki rie me ? how are you doing ?
m hun e me ekere ekere- i am doing it little by little .
3.kiro ? what is it ?
owenni- there is nothing.
4. ki ri e men i ? what is wrong with you ?
irehun ri e mem--- i am feeling sickly
5. i wude wan ohunmu u ? are you a sickler ?
o me ekere ya dihin, ome ekere emu a ku mai ----------after a while you become ok., after a while you fall sick again
6. onyen wu owan ? who is this
owan wu osim/ owum- this is my friend.
7.nedi i ? is your father around ?
ohua - he is around.
8.hi nim okpohoni lalaani - call me this woman that is coming .
9.okenyeni odedem ria hi i - this man my mother is calling you .
10. jemeni ogbara ogbe de shimen ni inyenren onu rie shi- go to the street to congregate and have the discurssion you are having.
11. okenyen oba ni lalaa ni ri a du ihian ile ikpa ,wu aduaran ,onyen ka saka kwondon e no bihiakor a ? this old man that is coming ,that is punching every body is a giant , who can get hold of him and not let him go .
12.ghani akpakali gbepuha iyetor ulo hun ohunma , gizi ni adansun dadon e--------- build the foundation of the house from the ground and use some wood to enforce the foundation.
13. eje agbon e yi agbon- bad family resembles each other .
14.msikor da kpanmin oselobue kor don gbodon ni enyin irehun le ukpokpo ile finhunme enyin------------i am going to thank God for protecting us from sickness and trouble that surrounded us.
15.dodoo yem ezuzu hun? please give me that hand fan ?
ni i ezuzu hun - have the hand fan .
16.dodoo yem ayiya ni ? - please give me that comb?
ni ayiya hun ----------have the comb
17.dodoo yem agara hun- please give me the chair
18. dodoo yem ebeke ni ri elu okpemkpen hun? please give me the knife on top of that shelf
19.dodoo yin ikeke ni la idumu enyin, a dude le ihian uwaya idumuze.- please ride this bicycle to our village and dont knock down any one with it.
20. okpoho ni lalaa ni ,jen kor da shani m eri, imen ogua idumu ------- this woman coming is going to bear witness on my behalf at the village meeting.
21. ihien ewere le ighogho ke ya ahun , ya ahunkor idoboro le uloro,ohai ohai ke ye jen. you will always see good and happy events , you will not see evil and bad things,and you will prosper.
22. oyo le iyare ebi hia kor iwe onu, joy,success and divine protection will not leave your house.
23. ulakpa ni lalaa ni gi egan o gi e ken ihian egbun---------------this police man coming has an handcuff used in arresting people.
24. ni ,m kpanmin i baba,nyanhan ihien i menim , ohikogbe---------------- i will thank you father, when i remember what you have done for me , it is too big.
25. i yu ku erira ? is it you that said so ?
elem me ku erira ---- i did not say so.

so from the above you can see the way to make sentences in ika language . ( a careful analysis will reveal so many igbo and bini words tied together )

--

2 Likes

Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by Dede1(m): 2:54pm On Oct 25, 2011
It is funny some deluded persons of Igbo ancestry are bent on disassociating themselves from Igbo. Whether the dialect is Isuama, Oru, Uratta, Ngwa, Wawa, Asa, Ndoki, Ikwerre, Ubani, Aro, Abiriba, Uhuhu, Ibeku and Ibano, they are all derivatives of Igbo language. I really do not know what tickles the OP’s fancy about so-called Ika language. Let me inform the poster of the thread that the so-called Ika language is more Igbo in texture than many Igbo dialects found in certain places in Igbo land.

@ agbotaen, Igbo language is centrally the same regardless the tone.

Ugboko/Egboko/Ugbo/Ubi = Farm
Offia/Ohia = Forest
Ewuru/Eworo = Leopard
Udume/Odum = Lion
Ali/Ala/Ani = Land

I had the opportunity to live in community/communities that comprised almost families from Igbo land that stretches from Agbor to Arochukwu and Enugwu-Ezike to Igwe Ocha/Igwe Nga/Ubani. Believe me, at first convergence, most Igbo land dialects sounds gibberish to the first listener from a distance corner of Igbo land.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by agbotaen: 1:36am On Nov 18, 2011
well you can say what ever you like ,i know no proper bonafide ika person will say he is igbo, if you ever reside in ika land proper,i mean if you live in agbor ,owa, igbanke ,abavo ,idumuesah you will know what i mean, well i know ika is a seperate ethnic group ,different from igbo or any other one,and right now we have just changed the president of the highest ika socio-cultural group the onu and ogua ika and the former chief fortune ebie has handed over to daniel usifoh, i bet igbo propagandist will also say usifoh is an igbo name,because there is nothing you people cannot say.
like we say onu wu ebon igbo wu oseka ,ebi ebi le eti eti konu gha e gbe ,iseh.
why is ika peoples resolve always troubling you , itsekiri is derived from yoruba and benin,yet they are just itsekiri, isoko and uhrobo have almost same language yet they are different ethnic groups, benin and esan speak very close language yet they are two different ethnic groups ,so why are our igbo brothers always alarmed by ika peoples asertion that they are seperate,right from 1930 as documented by simpson the british colonial overlord,the ikas said they are a seperate group different from any other ethnic group,so our assertion today is not new.
what most igbo people do not want to accept is that many parts of igbo communities were conquered or influenced by benin, especially those towns in delta state and even onitsha in anambra state,so many words were borrowed from benin , so if you say the words are igbo words then it means you dont know what you are saying,
also many nigerian languages share many words especially in southern nigeria ,examples are
1. yoruba call mouth enu-, igbo- onu, bini - unu
2. yoruba call ear -eti, igbo- nti
3. yoruba call water - omi, igbo- nmirin,
4.yoruba call finger- eka,while igbo call hand aka
5. yoruba call stomach - ikun, igbo- ukun

now comming to ika language and yoruba

1. yoruba call bottle igo, while ika call it ogo
2. yoruba call bicycle -keke ,in ika we call ikeke
3.yoruba call door ilekun or ekun , in ika it is ekwe
4. yoruba call nail iso, in ika it is ise
5.yoruba call human being- eniyan ,in ika it is ihian
6.yoruba call cloth ewu, in ika it is ewuru
7. yoruba call cutlass ada, ika call the cutlass kings hold ada,
8. yoruba calls a person that holds a cutlass - enitomu ada, while in ika it is called omuada
9.yoruba call air -afefe in ika it is ufere
10. yoruba call god of the sea - olokun in ika it is also olokun
11. yoruba call god of iron ogun ,in ika it is ogun or idigun
12,in yoruba a sturborn person is called ikpata in ika it is called ikpata too.
13. in yoruba knive is obe ,in ika it is ebeke
14. a small bell in yoruba is aja and in ika it is adza
15. yoruba call family ebi in ika it is ebon
16.yoruba call useless eti ,in ika it is still eti
17 in yoruba agbada is a big pot and in ika it is agbada too

ika and benin also shares similar words
1. village in benin is idunwun while ika is idumu
2. old woman in benin and ika is called odede
3. old man in benin and ika is edionma or odion
4. a stool in both benin and ika is ekete
5. a palace in benin is egua and in ika it is ogua
6. a bycycle in both benin and ika is ikeke
7. a servant in benin and ika is odibo
8. a slave in benin and ika is igbon
9. glass in both benin and ika is ughegbe
10. chief in both benin and ika is ohaimen
11. royal servants in benin and ika is ibiegwa
12. a giant in benin is ahuaruan and in ika it is aduaran
13. police in benin and ika is ulakpa
14 .chain or prison in both benin and ika is egan
15. woman is okuo in benin and ika is okpoho
16. needle in both benin and ika is oloden
17. key in benin and ika is isafin
18. palmoil in benin and ika is ofingbon
19. light in both benin and ika is ukpe
20. plate in both ika and benin is okpan
21. bolt in both benin and ika is olaye
22. safe journey and good wishes in both benin and ika is iyare
23. hapiness in both benin and ika is oghogho or ighogho
24. heneden in both benin and ika means something huge
25. deaf means odin in both benin and ika.
26.respect or honour in both benin and ika is ogho
27.money is both benin and ika is called egho
28. neck beads in benin and ika is called ikpehwe
29.during the igue festival in benin, they say oba,iselogbe which means happy new year and in ika we say obi iselogbe.
30.God is called osalobuwe and in ika it is oselobuwe
31. guardian spirit in benin and ika is called ehi
32. fan is called ezuzu in benin and ika.
33. thanks giving in ika is oyinmiseme and it is so in some edo communities,
34. please is dodo in ika and some edo communities.
35.family in both benin and ika is ogbe/ugbe/agbon
36. agbon also means earth in both ika and benin.
37.to bless means bor in both benin and ika language.

ika and igbo language,
1. hand in igbo is aka ,while in ika it is eka
2.leg in igbo is uku and in ika it is uku
3. eyes in igbo is ayan in ika it is eyan
4. ear in both igbo and ika is nti
5. mouth in both ika and igbo is onu
6. head in both ika and igbo is isi or ishi
7. follow in igbo is sobe while ika is some/ buru
8. up or high place in igbo and ika is enu /elu
9. to call in igbo is kpo and ika is kpo
10.neck in igbo and ika is onu/olu
11.bia means come in both ika and igbo language
12. run means oso in both ika and igbo
13. ugbo means farm in both igbo and ika language

words that are indigenous to ika people.

1. saka---------------------- i can
2. ara saka--------------- i cannot
3. esi -------------- true
4. elenkesi------------------- not true
5.msiko------------------ i am
6.egilegbeshi---------------------- is it true
7.keti keti ----- really
8.erira-------- that is it
9. ele erira------------------that is not it
10. nina--------------------- like that
11. ele enina ---- it is not like that
12. kiro-------------what is it
13. kihain--------------why did you
14, ya hain-------- that is why
15. ra--------------- or
16.kikeni ------ right now or now
17 . ogbe or hi- ogbe- ---- big
18.ekere----------------- small
19. oda- plenty
20 . mmaka--------------- ordinary
21.anai-------------nothing
22. irehun--------------------sickness
23. ohanemu------------------------did not talk or answer
24. inyenren---------------------conversation
25.gbegbegbe-------- waited in vain
25. gbe to build or to hit or smash
27.bie-------- to stay long
28. ara bie --------------- does not take time
29.ikponfin-------------------------refuse dump
30.kere-------------------- to be quick.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by ezeagu(m): 1:51am On Nov 18, 2011
agbotaen:

1. yoruba call  bottle   igo,  while  ika  call it  ogo [Igbo: Iko]
2. yoruba call bicycle -keke  ,in ika we call ikeke
3.yoruba call door ilekun or ekun , in ika it is ekwe
4. yoruba call nail iso, in ika it is ise
5.yoruba call human being- eniyan ,in ika it is ihian
6.yoruba call cloth ewu, in ika it is ewuru
7. yoruba call cutlass ada, ika call the cutlass kings hold ada,
8. yoruba calls a person that holds a cutlass - enitomu ada, while in ika it is called omuada
9.yoruba call air -afefe in ika it is ufere
10. yoruba call god of the sea - olokun in ika it is also olokun
11. yoruba call  god of iron ogun ,in ika it is ogun or idigun
12,in yoruba a sturborn person is called ikpata in ika it is called ikpata too.
13.  in yoruba knive is obe ,in ika it is ebeke
14. a small bell in yoruba is aja and in ika it is adza
15. yoruba call family ebi in ika it is ebon
16.yoruba call useless eti ,in ika it is still eti
17  in yoruba  agbada is a big pot and in ika it is agbada too

ika   and benin   also shares similar words
1.  village in benin is idunwun  while ika is idumu
2. old woman in benin and ika is called odede
3. old man in benin and ika is edionma or odion
4. a stool  in  both  benin and ika is ekete
5. a palace in benin is egua and in ika it is ogua
6. a bycycle in both benin and ika is ikeke
7. a servant in benin and ika is odibo
8. a slave in benin and ika is igbon
9. glass in both benin and ika is ughegbe
10. chief in both benin and ika is ohaimen
11. royal servants in benin and ika is ibiegwa
12. a giant in benin is ahuaruan and in ika it is aduaran
13. police in benin and ika is ulakpa
14 .chain or prison in both benin and ika is egan
15. woman is okuo in benin and ika is okpoho
16. needle in both benin and ika is oloden
17. key in benin and ika is isafin
18. palmoil in benin and ika is ofingbon
19. light in both benin and ika is ukpe
20. plate in both ika and benin is okpan
21. bolt in both benin and ika is olaye
22. safe journey and good wishes in both benin and ika is  iyare
23. hapiness in both benin and ika is oghogho or ighogho
24. heneden in both benin and ika means something huge
25. deaf means odin in both benin and ika.
26.respect or honour in both benin and ika is ogho
27.money is both benin and ika is called egho
28. neck beads in benin and ika is called ikpehwe
29.during the igue festival in benin, they say oba,iselogbe which means happy new year and in ika we say obi iselogbe.
30.God is called osalobuwe and in ika it is oselobuwe
31. guardian spirit in benin and ika is called ehi
32. fan is called ezuzu in benin and ika.
33. thanks giving in ika is oyinmiseme and it is so in some edo communities,
34. please is dodo  in ika and some edo communities.
35.family in both benin and ika is ogbe/ugbe/agbon
36. agbon also means earth in both ika and benin.
37.to bless  means  bor in both benin and ika language.

ika    and  igbo  language,
1.  hand in igbo is aka ,while in ika it is eka
2.leg in igbo is uku and in ika it is uku
3. eyes in igbo is ayan  in ika it is eyan
4. ear in both igbo and ika is nti
5. mouth in both ika and igbo is onu
6. head in both ika and igbo is isi or ishi
7. follow in igbo is sobe while ika is some/ buru
8. up or high place in igbo and ika is enu /elu
9. to call  in igbo is kpo and ika is kpo
10.neck in igbo and ika is onu/olu
11.bia means come in both ika and igbo language
12. run means oso in both ika and igbo
13. ugbo  means farm in both igbo and ika language

words that are indigenous to ika people.

1.    saka----------------------   i  can
2. ara saka---------------       i  cannot
3. esi --------------       true
4. elenkesi-------------------   not true
5.msiko------------------   i am 
6.egilegbeshi----------------------    is it true
7.keti keti -----    really
8.erira--------   that is it
9. ele erira------------------that is not it
10. nina---------------------   like that
11. ele enina ----  it is not like that
12. kiro-------------what is it
13. kihain--------------why did you
14, ya hain--------  that is why
15. ra---------------   or
16.kikeni   ------   right now or now
17 . ogbe or hi- ogbe- ----   big
18.ekere-----------------   small
19. oda-   plenty
20 . mmaka---------------  ordinary
21.anai-------------nothing
22. irehun--------------------sickness
23. ohanemu------------------------did not talk or answer
24. inyenren---------------------conversation
25.gbegbegbe--------  waited in vain
25. gbe to build or to hit or smash
27.bie--------  to stay long
28. ara bie ---------------   does not take time
29.ikponfin-------------------------refuse dump
30.kere--------------------  to be quick.

This is different to Agbor Ika then, because 'that is not it' in Agbor is ẹlẹ ya. By the way, some of the words you attributed to Yoruba and native Ika, like "Ogo Igo" is from Iko, and Esi is Ezi, ra is ma, Ikpo ofi, are Igbo.

agbotaen:

well  you can say what ever you like ,i know no proper bonafide ika person will say he is igbo, if you ever reside in ika land proper,i mean if you live in agbor ,owa, igbanke ,abavo ,idumuesah you will know what i mean, well i know ika is a seperate ethnic group ,different from igbo or any other one,and right now we have just changed the president of the highest ika socio-cultural group the onu and ogua ika and the former chief fortune ebie has handed over to daniel usifoh, i bet igbo propagandist will also say usifoh is an igbo name,because there is nothing you people cannot say.

Then you better go an tell Glo to go and remove all their "Kee Kwanu" posters from Agbor, or tell the education authorities in Ika to stop teaching standard Igbo.

agbotaen:
why is ika peoples resolve always troubling you , itsekiri is derived from yoruba and benin,yet they are just itsekiri, isoko and uhrobo have almost same language yet they are different ethnic groups, benin and esan speak very close language yet they are two different ethnic groups ,so why are our igbo brothers always alarmed by ika peoples asertion that they are seperate,right from 1930 as documented by simpson the british colonial overlord,the ikas said they are a seperate group different from any other ethnic group,so our assertion today is not new.

Were they a separate group before or after Ekumeku that comprised Western Igbo towns or in the 1960s when prominent Anioma sons alarmed Nigeria of an Igbo coup?

agbotaen:
what most igbo people do not want to accept is that many parts of igbo communities were conquered or influenced by benin, especially those towns in delta state and even onitsha in anambra state,[/b]so many words were borrowed from benin , so if you say the words are igbo words then it means you dont know what you are saying,

England was conquered by French cultured people, doesn't stop them being Germanic, no matter how many French/Latin words the English language currently uses, or how many French customs they have from France, or even how much France has influenced their government, monarchy, and even education. They're still Germanic, and Ika hasn't even witnessed half of the acculturation they have, [b]yet you're here begging to be acknowledged as a conquered territory.
Tufia, what kind man are you? I'm doubting you're even IKA, because none would ever claim to be, to have once, or to have ever been conquered by Benin, even if they were. Ya saka wụ okẹnyẹn Ika.
Re: The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni by agbotaen: 9:18am On Nov 22, 2011
when will all this igbo propagandist stop this cheap lies and acknowledge the truth , how are you in ika language is nani iri or eghani iri, it is not ke kwanu ,
2. i challenge any one doubting my ikaship to tell me his family pedigree in ika with correct history as i am proud to be a descendant of obi igbedigi no gidigan of owa kingdom and in the lineage of prince omigie and osuhon from idumu-ezomor royal village in owa.
3. this igbo propagandist will stop at nothing to convert yoruba or edo words into igbo, like igo, keke and others, even names like omigie can even be said to be igbo.
4. to say the truth there was a time when all ika kings were crowned in benin and were under the oba of benin in the past ,just like nigeria was at a time under britain , just like nigeria conquered biafra ,so let the truth be told ,just like ika did not support biafra ,.
5. i have stated ika words that are from igbo , and those from benin and those that look like yoruba . that is our language.6.
6. sunday osifoh is the leader of ika highest socio-cultural group, and i bet propagandist will say osifoh is an igbo name.
7. all ika kings and chief do not belong to any ndigbo ethnic meetings and will never go or agree with igbo because they know they are ika.at best what you have are kings from oshimili and aniocha areas from delta ,.that is a signal to show you that ikas know who they are.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Masquerade Wearing Lord’s Chosen Church’s Overalls in Anambra State / 10 Unbelievable But True Facts About Nigeria. / Emir Sanusi, Wife, Children, Aliko Dangote Attend Polo Event In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.