Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,011 members, 7,810,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage (10808 Views)

Etisalat Sales Girl Has Put My Relationship in Trouble / In Need Of Guy For A Serious Relationship In Benin / 10 To-dos For A Healthy Relationship In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by MaxLeo: 3:59pm On Mar 13, 2010
Let me guess: He is not financially okay; He has committed so much into assisting you and has carried a whole lot of your burden and responsibilities, thats why he says a new guy "can settle him"; You love him so much like a brother, parent, sibling and husby; an you know he loves you;

If above is true, he is a cool guy with good conscience, but if he upon all these hasnt made mention of marriage to you. I advise you flirt a bit, he will get jealous and either talks about marriage or against marriage. Either way, you are the winner.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 13, 2010
no big deal talking 2 him bout it.remember i said just "talk". he mit luv u but not ready(financially,emotionally n otherwise). its possible he mit not want 2 disappoint u after makn a promise.But whteva u need 2 start datn again, U both want different tns, pressurizn him will backfire, at least he has been sincere enof 2 tell u politely n respectfully dt u ain't no wifee material 4 him,
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 13, 2010
Advisors, 9jirians
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by ayettymama(f): 4:40pm On Mar 13, 2010
busy body uno serious!!!!

but we could take this discussion to my bar i love to hear womes take on this

busy body u have been watching too many movies- who really follows the 3rd world crap nowadays

neways ill meet u on the other side??

@ op

look at it from this angle

this man is basically saying- 'i love you, but i cant marry you'!
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by beecrofty(m): 5:04pm On Mar 13, 2010
Busy_body:

and pretend i was from that yamayama state called Ekiti t

I hope i ain't pushing it, but does the free drinks for 5 years come with free "asun"  and free assorted peppersoup too, lol   

Awww, my Honorable state is what you just described as YAMAYAMA,    shocked

i will ensure you get no BURUKUTU and ASUN for the next couple of years,  damn, refering to my God's own state as yamayama
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by temmythe(f): 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2010
@poster:

you should answer this question:

does he have a good job, enough to cater for a family? (most Nigerian guys will not go into marriage without financial security)
have you been to desperate and disturbing him so much about marriage? (most men don't want to get committed with in-secured girls)
have you ever sat him down or asked him the traits he wants in his wife?
how about his family, do they like you enough?
are his family putting any pressure on him too (if they do, have you found out, reason he gives them?)
do you think this Mr perfect loves and appreciate you enough or he only like some few traits in you/may be pities you?
how does he speak of you to outsiders, how does he presets to them?

answer those questions and let's continue from there,
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by ayettymama(f): 6:20pm On Mar 13, 2010
beecrofty:

Awww, my Honorable state is what you just described as YAMAYAMA,    shocked

i will ensure you get no BURUKUTU and ASUN for the next couple of years,  damn, refering to my God's own state as yamayama

no mind her jooo

she doesnt no wat shes sayin!!!
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by grabdbull: 6:27pm On Mar 13, 2010
@ ibejiibeji,

I strongly believe you have got a hard-working, very good guy. Eight years with no talk of marriage is tough, but you need to really say what you want. Do you just want to get married now, or do you want to get married to the nice guy you described? What if he strongly believes he is not financially ready to throw a lavish party or provide for a family? I feel your pain. Maybe you can try this and see if it works: Tell him (once again) that you want to get married soon (this time, don't use the " we need to talk" attitude) while you are having dinner or something. Tell him you have a practical way of getting past the ceremony. Ask him for permission to draw up a plan which would give both of you some months of planning, while setting aside a certain amount each month towards the ceremony. Calculate what the cost might be for every aspect of the wedding. Let him see you as a partner planning towards your future, rather than a girl desperately in need of a show-off occasion which would constitute a drain-pipe to his resources.
Once you have a rough idea of what the cost will be, after determining the type of wedding you want, you can then help him save monthly towards the occasion. If you decide to end it on the other hand because he is not yet ready, I hope your hunger to get married will soon be satisfied by another. Then the whole process of knowing the new guy starts all over again.
I hope this helps.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by beecrofty(m): 6:50pm On Mar 13, 2010
ayettymama:

no mind her jooo

she doesnt no wat shes sayin!!!

By the time she visits Ekiti once, she'll never want to leave wink
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by ayettymama(f): 6:57pm On Mar 13, 2010
beecrofty:

By the time she visits Ekiti once, she'll never want to leave wink

lolz

younno!!!
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by hassymo5(m): 7:25pm On Mar 13, 2010
May be he has kn money 4 marriage, may b d girl want church marriage, which is expensive.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by amyg(f): 8:07pm On Mar 13, 2010
Dis post made me cal mi g now.i want 2 ask him bt hw d i start
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 13, 2010
This story is exactly d same as mine. Except dt in my case we've been together for 4yrs. He's one yr older than i am. I'm 24.
My only problem is dt whenever i mention marriage, he clams up. Having been wit him dis long i expect we r heading to d altar. Apparently he has other ideas. The funny thing is dt he keeps telling me that if i find somebody else that wants to marry me, i shud not hesitate. But we r so in love. And i have so many suitors now, i'm so confused. Am i doing d right thing by staying wit him?
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by bawomolo(m): 8:22pm On Mar 13, 2010
why would people want illegitimate kids?? i mean fine in naija the legal and class system is quite crappy

the idea that a child isn't legitimate because his parents weren't married is disgusting and so archaic.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by MsTom(f): 8:27pm On Mar 13, 2010
hassymo5:

May be he has kn money 4 marriage, may b d girl want church marriage, which is expensive.

I doubt if this issue has anything to do with money. I wouldnt be surprised if the OP says he has a good paying job. The problem is that some individuals are just scared of committing to a lifetime with another person. The thought of spending the rest of their lives with other scares them especially if they feel they might fail in keeping their part of the vow. She needs to talk to the guy and be ready for whatever he says. If he wants marriage or not, she should be true to herself and not hope for him to change. If he changes cos of pressure she gives him, such a marriage is endured and not enjoyed and may ultimately not last. I have two of such people that I have as friends. They have just refused to commit even though they love their women to death.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by bawomolo(m): 8:34pm On Mar 13, 2010
how does a piece of paper signify commitment?

What if i marry multiple wives ko, is that a sign of commitment? aren't Oprah and steadman committed to each other?
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by obi123: 8:36pm On Mar 13, 2010
My dear please MOVE ON  with immediate effect. Leave the looser alone NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by parislomo(f): 8:55pm On Mar 13, 2010
poster: I can relate with your story cos it rings like mine, only that ours was a trans-atlantic rel.
It's only natural for one to be expectant after spending those years together. However, I find yours a bit un-cool considering all that he says to you. 27/32 and he claims you are both still young?? And he doesn't sound like  he gives '2' about you going away!
It's sad really some things we have to bear. So sorry about your situation.
Pray for wisdom to know what turn to take cos you only would live with your decision
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by H2O2: 9:18pm On Mar 13, 2010
lol we reason like apes.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by H2O2: 9:18pm On Mar 13, 2010
see them shouting

leave leave he doesn't love you leave leave lol

you africans
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by lannre(m): 9:45pm On Mar 13, 2010
Leave. No need to roll a dice.

H2O2:

see them shouting

leave leave he doesn't love you leave leave lol

you africans

What is your advise and reasons
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by H2O2: 9:52pm On Mar 13, 2010
what if dude isn't financially set for marriage yet?

i'm curious
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by MsTom(f): 9:58pm On Mar 13, 2010
bawomolo:

how does a piece of paper signify commitment?

What if i marry multiple wives ko, is that a sign of commitment? aren't Oprah and steadman committed to each other?

The committment used is in relation to a marriage. One can be committed in other forms of relationships, even friendship. Now, you tell me, How come that 'piece of paper' (marriage)is so strong that you need second 'piece of paper' (divorce) to move forward. Marriage to some is like being enclosed in a corner. Marriage comes with loads of stuff. Some people are not just ready. Some of the excuse I hear is they love their space. In a marriage, there is nothing like space.

You can only sign 'a paper' at time. If you want to marry others, you just go for blessings. There are no paper to sign there. If per adventure you do sign more than one paper at a time, you commit a crime. Hence why there is room for one to sign a second paper which is called divorce.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by lannre(m): 10:02pm On Mar 13, 2010
H2O2:

what if dude isn't financially set for marriage yet?

i'm curious

She did not tell us that,but why did he ask for "royalty" from anyone that will marry the lady.

You are yet to advise the lady
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by agabaI23(m): 10:03pm On Mar 13, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=300993.msg4244133#msg4244133
my boyfriend saw me in a colleagues car and has made up his mind that am going out with him and says the only way he can forgive me is if i pay a hundred thousand naira into his account. do i pay and we continue our relationship or do i call his bluff? we've bin going out 4 a while,i love him to bits and show him. i can swear he loves me even though he acts funny      what do i do

This your boyfriend probably is not into you. I copied the above from another thread of yours.  Why demand money from you?

He is behaving like you can go if want. You worked your way through school.
You help him when he is broke and vice versa
why this silly statement below
woke him up(cos he was asleep in 'my' house) to talk about our future and d 1st question he asked me was is there someone who's asking you to marry him? my reply was no(cos that's the truth) and his next comments were
''let me see the man who will take what i have taken from you''
''you think i am a fool''
''you don't want me to prosper''(cos there's some chick who he says is giving him contacts and i have been giving him grief about)
then he stormed off to his car and to spend the night
  :'

What is it about someone paying him before marrying you?

He is using you as his back up until gets his desired target and probably will go for a younger girl.

Be careful!  Eight years is too long a time without commitment. He drives a car which means he is comfortable.

Think well.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 13, 2010
Busy_body:

@kay-pimping, lol

Ouch, Sheet, i was warming up getting ready to deliver some killer blows to blow whatever you were gonna say outta the water, but you just effortlessly killed my argument in one fell swoop, I forgot i was dealing with one of the most intelligent being on NL, i hate you, lol. Carry go joo, make i go nurse my wounds, lol.

@ayettymama

Before this iyalode, yours truly, was already hatching a plan to tag along with Fl gators and pretend i was from that yamayama state called Ekiti to blag myself free drinks for me and my entourage for a year at your new joint, but i don't have to go with such plan again because i deserve five years free drink on the house for all this talk you made me talk today, so when should i start coming to mark the register, lol. I COULD MURDER SOME SHEKPE AND BURUKUTU RIGHT NOW, LOL

I hope i ain't pushing it, but does the free drinks for 5 years come with free "asun"  and free assorted peppersoup too, lol  

OH NO SHE DIDNT!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Something dey do you this old woman angry angry angry

Yeeeee!!!! Of all the rubishness in the world, na this one take the top!!!
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by H2O2: 10:05pm On Mar 13, 2010
yea that was reatarded
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by CGKing(m): 10:24pm On Mar 13, 2010
8 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this supposed to be a fairly tale What were you guys doing for 8 yrs. Unbelievable. Infact, i tire. . .
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by ebonyz: 10:27pm On Mar 13, 2010
8 FRIGGING YRS? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by H2O2: 10:39pm On Mar 13, 2010
MsTom we're africans here, okay? Marriage ain't just a paper to us. Lol
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by drsly: 10:53pm On Mar 13, 2010
GOT HOOKED UP FOR THE MONTH/MARCH, 2010

You can hook up with the following people for friendship, dating, hanging out, chatting e.t.c.
Based on what they tell you.
1. Gureje Isaac Babatunde, 20, male, Kano, phone number: check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
2. Uzezi Blessing Emmanuel, 21, female, Lagos, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
3. Rose Mary, female, 22, Ilorin, phone number: check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
4. Feyisayo Babs, female, 21, Ilorin, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
5. Susan Patrick, female, 21, Benin City, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
6. Joy Macanthony, 22, Female, Lagos, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
7. Mariam Bisola Shomade, 22, Lagos, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
8. Yvonne Ambrose, 22, female, Lagos, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
9. Olayemi Braimoh, 22, Lagos, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
10. Sandra Ocholi, 24, female, Delta, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
11. Stephinie Olodi, 21, female, Lagos, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com
12. Lolita Achums, 24, female, Ibadan, phone number: : check it on www.withdrsly..com or www.99quotesandjokes..com

NB: you must be 18 years or above to do this.
Re: Relationship In Its 8th Year But No Talk Of Marriage by MsTom(f): 10:59pm On Mar 13, 2010
H2O2:

MsTom we're africans here, okay? Marriage ain't just a paper to us. Lol

If you read the post well (btw me and bawolomo), you would see that I was responding to his reference of marriage as a 'piece of paper'. Also note the quotes. They are not my words. I am and african and a Nigerian. Omo yoruba sef. So you would understand how we take marriage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Husband Lasts Too Long In Bed, I Need A Remedy To Make Him Release Fast / Guys Share Some Of The Worst Things Ladies Have Done To You. / Can Prostitution Ever Be Justified?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.