Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice (49803 Views)

My Room Transformation Progress With Cost Breakdown(Photos) / 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown / For Sale: Newly Built 20 Rooms Self-contain Hostel, With Borehole For N25M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 23, 2017
Please kindly post the building plan.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 1:18pm On Oct 23, 2017
Daboomb:

This your Twyford Hand Flush system is cheap sha.
You should have bought the Top-Press WC because those ones last longer.
These ones you bought will break from usage (the handle and the lifting mechansm inside the Flust tank), especially in a public/commercial building.

Ask those who have used both to tell you which one lasts longest.

But welldone, overall.

I agree with you 100% but when u consider u're spending 8m on a building in Ilese - hmmm
that been said, we brought the best quality WC for that type, we wld have changed the system inside if the client wanted to spend more..
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Daboomb: 1:21pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:

its a cost saving technic - the beam wld only add to the aesthetics since we didnt put the roof load on the terrace but rather on the main walls....

and we still had our aesthetics thou

Too much cost savings, is not good in the long run.

It is always, mostly "penny-wise, pound-foolish".

I understand you are trying to manage cash-flow but there are BASIC thing sin building that you should not compromise!
At least, get Concrete Pillars in the four corners of the building, (and maybe at some in-between Points.
That wont kill you now?

I like it that you did a german floor and did not try to save-save on that one too.

Breaking walls for Pipes and Wiring (after erecting the building) really annoys me as l feel it weakens the whole structure. If you must do conduit then plan it from the onset

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Nwaoma198(f): 1:21pm On Oct 23, 2017
Weldone

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by japhethGold: 1:22pm On Oct 23, 2017
Great project. I will start mine next year in Jesus Name. Amen

6 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Daboomb: 1:23pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:

I agree with you 100% but when u consider u're spending 8m on a building in Ilese - hmmm
that been said, we brought the best quality WC for that type, we wld have changed the system inside if the client wanted to spend more..

Anyway, l am not here to criticize your work.
I even thought it was your personal project.

I am sure you will do better in the next project, having learned some lessons from this one.

Once again, welldone. more grease to your elbow

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by gbolex(m): 1:24pm On Oct 23, 2017
I did a similar project, 10 rooms in total cost like 15m including cost of the land and other paper works. Cost of another 10 rooms foundation is inclusive. Find attached picture. Technically when you investing in such project, you need to confirm the cost of renting a self-contain hostel in that area. I doubt if the student there can pay 80K annually, i had to sell the land i bought there after completing 1st phase of this project. I will rather invest in TBills than building hostel for now. Its all about ROI, i dont think you need to use such expensive windows. Ileshe sch of health is not a high profile school (Sorry to say that but that is the truth). You really saved cost there, i made some mistakes while building mine but learnt my lesson.

6 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Jonfort(m): 1:25pm On Oct 23, 2017
we d civil engineering student r so happy to c such post on this forum . thanks

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by haywire07(m): 1:26pm On Oct 23, 2017
Mrkumareze:
Well done work sir. I do not support the lintel, it's absolutely not worth it in this modern day work. Lintel is not Just a bridge for doors and window, it serves as a chain to the structure. Bear It in mind that slight force can pull the house apart.
I think Lintel only serves as a chain for the building when you choose to make it a perimeter beam.

My only fear is, the entire length of the wall not having intermediate columns that would not only help give a break to the long wall but also help carry the roof load .

I hope it's a stable land so cracks won't appear on the wall soonest

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Bussydoll24(f): 1:27pm On Oct 23, 2017
We'll done.rejoice with those that merry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Daboomb: 1:30pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:
I went with different colours for the flats, to give it a unique look different from all other hostel in the area.... at this stage everyone wanted a room in our new hostel.....

I was also busy with new works in Lagos and couldn't travel to take final pics of the project; but what we have here is close to the final pics.

Lalasticlala for a project in Ilese, Ogun State beside the School of Health - what do you think?

Thanks for following - Let's discuss.

I love your sense of colour!
The combination is really exquisite.

BTW: Nigerians dont like to read at all or how come more than ten people keep asking the same question that has been asked and answered, over and over again? (How much did it cost to build this house?) grin grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by madridguy(m): 1:31pm On Oct 23, 2017
This is a job well done.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by haywire07(m): 1:32pm On Oct 23, 2017
Daboomb:

I understand you are trying to manage cash-flow but there are BASIC thing sin building that you should not compromise!
At least, get Concrete Pillars in the four corners of the building, (and maybe at some in-between Points.
That wont kill you now?

I like it that you did a german floor and did not try to save-save on that one too.

Breaking walls for Pipes and Wiring (after erecting the building) really annoys me as l feel it weakens the whole structure. If you must do conduit then plan it from the onset

It's even cheaper and safer when you carry out your plumbing works before laying blocks .

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by oyoofong(m): 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2017
Great one there
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2017
I'm impressed with your level of expertise. I shall contact you soon for a house project. God bless you!
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by shakol91(m): 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:
This is one aspect where I expect everyone to save big on the building.

for a job of this size - Lintel works should have cost me about 250k - 300k

carpenter wld claim about 100k, welder wld get about 20k, and bricklayer shd also want close to 40k MINUS materials, transportation et all..

BUT I SPENT ONLY 14K for workmanship now do the maths ( 160K - 14K ) = 146K LABOUR ONLY SAVED.

How did I do it?

I went to the iron store, brought the iron and paid the guys about 5k to cut it to required sizes,

I got to site and got my employed labour to arrange the blocks as shown in pics below (offcourse you also save on numbers of reinforcement used)

For those who would query how strong it is - Iits stronger than the basic need of a lintel which is = (to bridge the space left by an opening)

We still had wood from our German floor and these came in handy

I had to explain to the labour how to cast the lintel and i paid him twice of what he wld have gotten as his day work with the bricklayer..

the result see PICS 4 showing how it was used..

my question is how did you carry those lintel bars up, if it was done manually,2 things must have been involved either the bars are too light or you employed at least 5 strong men to do that/used something else.

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by sonety2k(m): 1:42pm On Oct 23, 2017
gbolex:
I did a similar project, 10 rooms in total cost like 15m including cost of the land and other paper works. Cost of another 10 rooms foundation is inclusive. Find attached picture. Technically when you investing in such project, you need to confirm the cost of renting a self-contain hostel in that area. I doubt if the student there can pay 80K annually, i had to sell the land i bought there after completing 1st phase of this project. I will rather invest in TBills than building hostel for now. Its all about ROI, i dont think you need to use such expensive windows. Ileshe sch of health is not a high profile school (Sorry to say that but that is the truth). You really saved cost there, i made some mistakes while building mine but learnt my lesson.

Pls which area area is your hostel located
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by gbolex(m): 1:45pm On Oct 23, 2017
Tai Solarin University of Education

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Mrkumareze(m): 1:54pm On Oct 23, 2017
toastedbread:

educate me: how will a slight force pull the building apart?

The wall is quite high and from the foundation there is no chaining which works as a binder. therefore Cracking from the foundation can easily escalate to the last block but, if the lintel is allowed to go round the external blocks believe me it wouldn't be easy. And it's abnormal to have 10 coaches of blocks without chaining.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Mrkumareze(m): 1:57pm On Oct 23, 2017
haywire07:

I think Lintel only serves as a chain for the building when you choose to make it a perimeter beam.

My only fear is, the entire length of the wall not having intermediate columns that would not only help give a break to the long wall but also help carry the roof load .

I hope it's a stable land so cracks won't appear on the wall soonest

We 're saying almost the same thing. The structure is a down stair with shorter width so having intermediate columns at the foundation may be eliminated but lintel shouldn't.
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by sonety2k(m): 2:02pm On Oct 23, 2017
gbolex:
Tai Solarin University of Education

Thanks and what's the annual rate per self contain

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by toastedbread: 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2017
Mrkumareze:

The wall is quite high and from the foundation there is no chaining which works as a binder. therefore Cracking from the foundation can easily escalate to the last block but, if the lintel is allowed to go round the external blocks believe me it wouldn't be easy. And it's abnormal to have 10 coaches of blocks without chaining.

saydfact come in. no chaining which works as a binder and 10 coaches without a binder?
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:28pm On Oct 23, 2017
Daboomb:

That wont kill you now?

Firstly we didnt do conduit its all surface
secondly pillars at the corners for what? - did u see the heavy rocks we dug out of that floor? even gravel sellers were asking me to see to them.
lastly putting pillars where we have blocks on the terrace and beam - pls what function wld this serve?

i just told you we didnt put any load on those blocks - THE COST SAVING I WAS REFERRING TO IS DROPPING THE UNNECESSARY AND FOCUSING ON THE NECESSARY..

If we didnt have any block on the terrace wld the building fall? NO - we only introduced it to separate the apartments - its has no other function, remove that singular function and its a waste of time and money.

thanks for your sincere concern and advice.... maybe u shd check out my post on properties sections - I dont compromise quality

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Mrjaz(m): 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2017
modelmike7:
GOOD GREAT JOB.
KEEP IT UP Bro.

Total cost is over 8 million Naira and less than 9 million Naira... That's a very reasonable amount.
Now, I'm having some new ideas.

Great job Op, hoping to get in touch with you soon!!
God bless our hustle!

8million naira for what na
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 23, 2017
Mrjaz:

8million naira for what na
That question is for the Op I guess.
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2017
gbolex:

@ Daboomb - Did u also notice the builder here also didnt introduce the beam you're talking about? experience on building shd tell one when and when not to introduce certain feature -ITS JUST A BUNGALOW, WHAT FUNCTION WLD THE BEAM BE SERVING?

At Gbolex - i tell u, considering those pple cant pay much, i cant advice my client to do the secone phase ooh...

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2017
Daboomb:

I love your sense of colour!
The combination is really exquisite.

BTW: Nigerians dont like to read at all or how come more than ten people keep asking the same question that has been asked and answered, over and over again? (How much did it cost to build this house?) grin grin

thanks and I LIKE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR TOO... grin grin grin
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:37pm On Oct 23, 2017
shakol91:
my question is how did you carry those lintel bars up, if it was done manually,2 things must have been involved either the bars are too light or you employed at least 5 strong men to do that/used something else.

OMO - bricklayers are not office AC workers oh.. lol

well, two bricklayers do the job and i dont pay for it..... and yes, its heave sha

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:37pm On Oct 23, 2017
Pangolo123:
I'm impressed with your level of expertise. I shall contact you soon for a house project. God bless you!

Thanks sir, God bless u more

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Jamorezzi: 2:37pm On Oct 23, 2017
Seriously , I trip . Great job over there .

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:40pm On Oct 23, 2017
Mrkumareze:

SIR, THE SHOPRITE AT SANGOTEDO (after Ajah) WAS DONE BY THE COMPANY WHERE I'M EMPLOYED.

ITS AS HIGH AS 30 COURSES OF BLOCK WITHOUT A BREAK (NO LINTEL - NO BEAM)

I'll advice you read more on construction methods.... What if i decided to use wood or angle bars, you wld say the building done collapse already..

lol

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2017
toastedbread:

saydfact come in. no chaining which works as a binder and 10 coaches without a binder?

see my reply above---

shoprite Sangotedo has about 30courses of blocks without lintel or beam between them.. ask me how we built it and it didnt collapse..but u wld pay for that info... lol lol lol grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped / What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.