Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,687 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED (38708 Views)

Another Peter Obi Lie Busted. Twitter User Exposes Him And His Lie. / Peter Obis Lie Busted About His ICT Involvement In Anambra. Pic / "Lai Mohammed's Big Lie Busted" - By Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2017
It is true that we speak out of the riches of our hearts hence your efforts to reduce the conversation to the base level of your evolvement. What has £20 got to do with marriage?

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
I
So that? She will give me what?I really do not want to be disrespectful on that level but I don't see any marital value there so let us leave that .what makes you think I am single or looking for women. You might be younger than my son. Stick to topic
we know your type grin grin
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by CrtlAltDel: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2017
giftq:

we know your type grin grin
Stick to topic…. No use style derail this educative/informative thread grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 31, 2017
CrtlAltDel:

Stick to topic…. No use style derail this educative/informative thread grin grin grin
We are only being educated about the Igbo-obsession of the OP a.k.a aribisala0 grin grin grin
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by CrtlAltDel: 10:35pm On Oct 31, 2017
giftq:

[s]We are only being educated about the Igbo-obsession of the OP a.k.a aribisala0 grin grin grin[/s]

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 31, 2017
CrtlAltDel:

Awolowo should have the answers to aribisala0's questions on this thread grin grin grin

But I know that aribisala0 perpetually fantasizes about marrying an Igbo girl grin grin

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 10:50pm On Oct 31, 2017
giftq:

Awolowo should have the answers to aribisala0's questions on this thread grin grin grin

But I know that aribisala0 perpetually fantasizes about marrying an Igbo girl grin grin
I will accept that as SURRENDER on the subject of £20.
It is established that the Nigerian government generously gave the Igbo people £20 each even though this was largely undeserved.
Settled.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
I will accept that as SURRENDER on the subject of £20.
It is established that the Nigerian government generously gave the Igbo people £20 each even though this was largely undeserved.
Settled.

And today cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Michael004: 11:41pm On Oct 31, 2017
Rotimik:

20pounds of that time is like N600K of today .It was a lot if money in 1970.
No mind the mumu.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Igboid: 11:42pm On Oct 31, 2017
SIRTee15:

This is it in case u missed it....

At the end of the civil war there was a critical shortage of the new Nigerian currency, which retarded efforts to replace the currency in circulation in the east. The Central Bank began recalling the Biafran currency and the old Nigerian currency in the war-torn region but, because of the shortage of new Nigerian notes, only receipts were issued to those who surrendered the notes; although during this period of recall it was unclear what rate of exchange would be made for the Biafran notes. Rumours as to what value the Central Bank of Nigeria would place on the Biafran notes became widespread, with many believing one rumour that twenty Biafran pounds would be given the value of one Nigerian pound. Many impatient people surrendered their Biafran notes to speculators who were purchasing them at fifty Biafran pounds to one Nigerian pound.
Ultimately the speculator! s got ‘burnt’, as the Central bank decided that there would be no exchange of Biafran currency for Nigerian currency, deciding instead to pay a flat rate of twenty Nigerian pounds to each depositor of Biafran or old Nigerian currency with the Central Bank.

This will be last tine I'll discuss this...
The whole thing is beginning to sound like a cracked CD...
On the long run, I can't be responsible for what u believe....
It's a free world....

What drug are you on? Are speculators Now banks?

What exactly is wrong with you. How exactly does the part you highlighted debunk the fact that Igbos who had bank deposits in Nigerian banks only got 20pounds after the war?

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Mrnairalandd: 12:12am On Nov 01, 2017
Duru1:

My grandfather told me that most foolish pigs from certain section of Nigeria did not know where rain started beating them will never know where it stopped. No wonder certain goons are terribly scared about the disintegration of the zoo called Nigeria.

The same people who have asked to go back to region countless time which you shamelessly ignored

The same people who couldn’t stand you

The same people who stood by their king when you were all asked to die in Lagoon

The same people has never formed any form of alliance with you

The same Yorubas who refused to invest one kobo of their money in your region

The same people who dictate the destinies of your kinsmen who live in their region

I pity your future generation

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Mrnairalandd: 12:14am On Nov 01, 2017
Duru1:

It is this same manner Igbo came to Lagos as tenants and became landlords. There is no narrative, even in motion pictures, that can explain the rapid recovery of Ndigbo.

Landlords indeed!

Keep deluding yourselves

Nigerians are landlords in USA and UK but when it’s time to separate the wheat from the chaff, we ll know who are the landlords.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by eagleu: 1:13am On Nov 01, 2017
Rotimik:

Another lie!

There were thousandnaires in Nigeria at the time. No millionaires. The value of our currency was very high at the time.

A brand new car that would cost you N50million today goes for less than 500pounds then.

Another blind expression of childish ethnic chauvinism. If you're saying that there were no Igbo millionaires before the civil war, I can only say sorry to you, for the mega ignorance!

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:25am On Nov 01, 2017
And these millionaires fled and left their millions in Nigerian Banks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:27am On Nov 01, 2017
So how comw these folk never make their millions in Igboland
How come there are never homegrown Igbo millionaires living at home.

Are we to believe there were no banks in Igboand at the start of the war?

How come they were all empty at the end of the war?
Who was going to pay for that?

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:
So how comw these folk never make their millions in Igboland
How come there are never homegrown Igbo millionaires living at home.

Are we to believe there were no banks in Igboand at the start of the war?

How come they were all empty at the end of the war?
Who was going to pay for that?
Please stop obsessing over Igbo people
Igbo amaka

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:46am On Nov 01, 2017
Twenty pound lie busted

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:
Twenty pound lie busted
Get a life.
Igbo amaka
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 10:46am On Nov 01, 2017
Duru1:

The caption of your post shows how deep in ignorance you have lived. Not every Igbo person received 20 pounds from federal government. The few that received the meager 20 pounds were the lucky ones who were able to show they had more than 20 pounds in the banks in Nigeria before the outbreak of the war. Mere ambition to balance things up in the zoo called Nigeria has set some goons into a tailspin of idiocy.

The of said those who are eligible, not everybody.

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by patrick89(m): 11:04am On Nov 01, 2017
Rotimik:
Have you noticed when someone comes from the east to the west for the first time. The look of suppressed anger or fear.

Over the years as a child, I've wondered why. Now I know. Anger at or fear of Yoruba people because of what they have been told.

They later get over it when they find out, we are not the dangerous people they perceive us to be when they were being fed lies about us back at home.
Far from truth. not until recently, many Igbo who grew up from the east, know little or nothing about Yoruba. They're only see the north as their "political enemy". With the growth of Nigeria music industry and domination of Yorubas in it. People are beginning to notice you. But politically, they see you guys as dirty and coward! simple!
This is a very honest assessment. Hausa is seen as opposite of Igbo amongst Igbo from the East.
like the following.
Muslim is the opposite of Christian
educated is opposite of illiterate
Rich is opposite of poor.
Igbo is opposite of Hausa.
Yoruba is not in the picture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 11:05am On Nov 01, 2017
Duru1:

It is this same manner Igbo came to Lagos as tenants and became landlords. There is no narrative, even in motion pictures, that can explain the rapid recovery of Ndigbo.

The 20 pounds policy was a good gesture of goodwill and an attempt at helping Igbos get back their life. That 20 pounds would be worth around N600K today. It played a big role in helping Igbos to recover economically.

It was like grants given to Germany and the rest of europe which enabled their economies to recover after the WWII.

it hurts to see that Igbos have never shown appreciation for these.

The more Igbos keep the bitterness of the civil war alive, the worse it would get for them in this country.

Remember that Igbos laced different places with bombs in Lagos before their departure for the east. Two popular cinema houses were bombed in Lagos killing Yoruba people, when the issue was actually between them and the northerners. A car bomb was detected in Obalende meant to kill our people. It was quickly defused.

We have since forgiven our Igbo brothers and sisters and moved on. Why won't Igbos do the same.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by PFRB: 11:23am On Nov 01, 2017
For those who say Igbos did not suffer abandoned property in Lagos , I ask them this question; WHERE IS VILASKA LODGE? ? ? ?

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 11:38am On Nov 01, 2017
eagleu:

Another blind expression of childish ethnic chauvinism. If you're saying that there were no Igbo millionaires before the civil war, I can only say sorry to you, for the mega ignorance!

This is no kid. I have taught nursery school pupils who are married with children today. I'm presently an employer of labour. Watch your mouth.

Back to the topic.

The few millionaires of those days were the Dangotes, Otedolas etc of their time. Most employees earn less than 15 pounds at the time. If your salary is up to 50pounds, you must be working in a bank.

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:39am On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:
And these millionaires fled and left their millions in Nigerian Banks

Were they going to carry it on their heads? There's little doubt the elites and middle class were wrecked after the war. The shortage of capital was one of the reasons the indigenization of foreign firms/industries worked overwhelmingly in favour of Yorubas immediately after the civil war: a massive gap which developed at the time that we've been trying to bridge ever since to some degree of success, but still ultimately falling short.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is really. Those who couldn't prove they had deposits in banks before the war got nothing and had to start from scratch. My dad was an example. This group was the majority. The minority who could prove they did got £20. It would be silly in the extreme to believe this covered what they had lost.
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 12:12pm On Nov 01, 2017
patrick89:

Far from truth. not until recently, many Igbo who grew up from the east, know little or nothing about Yoruba. They're only see the north as their "political enemy". With the growth of Nigeria music industry and domination of Yorubas in it. People are beginning to notice you. But politically, they see you guys as dirty and coward! simple!
This is a very honest assessment. Hausa is seen as opposite of Igbo amongst Igbo from the East.
like the following.
Muslim is the opposite of Christian
educated is opposite of illiterate
Rich is opposite of poor.
Igbo is opposite of Hausa.
Yoruba is not in the picture.

Have you forgotten how Biafrian hordes invading the west were forced to flee from just FOUR intelligent Yoruba officers during the Civil war back across the Niger to the east.

Why did you people run back.

Who is the coward here. Please tell me!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:24pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Were they going to carry it on their heads? There's little doubt the elites and middle class were wrecked after the war. The shortage of capital was one of the reasons the indigenization of foreign firms/industries worked overwhelmingly in favour of Yorubas immediately after the civil war: a massive gap which developed at the time that we've been trying to bridge ever since to some degree of success, but still ultimately falling short.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is really. Those who couldn't prove they had deposits in banks before the war got nothing and had to start from scratch. My dad was an example. This group was the majority. The minority who could prove they did got £20. It would be silly in the extreme to believe this covered what they had lost.

You people wanted FG to pay what it did not owe. It was ACB that owed you people not FG. You people bankrupted ACB with mass withdrawals and looting upon your departure to the east.

You should be grateful for FGs help. What if they had decided not to give anything. What would you people have done.

Why do Igbo people keep deluding themselves that everybody hate them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Ovamboland(m): 12:29pm On Nov 01, 2017
obailala:
The FG didn't pay any money to Igbos, rather they returned a tiny fraction of the seized. If an Igbo man had £10,000 in his account, only £20 was returned to him; if the man had zero in his account, nothing was paid to him.

How many people can save up to £10,000 in 1967? What was the budget of the country or regions at that time? The yearly salary of senior civil servants at that time was far less than £1,000. Per capita gdp was about £200, it will the height of conjecture to assume £20 was small money at that time.

And was the Nigerian government obliged to give Ibo adults any money? They got paid what was a full month wage for rebelling against the country. Rather than aknowledge that as an act of kindness and magnanimity, you use that to sneer and heap opprobrium on those who were considerate enough to do that. What would you lot have done or not done if only £0 was handed over to ibo adults?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Ovamboland(m): 12:34pm On Nov 01, 2017
Rotimik:

Thank you for this post.

We Yorubas have been the most kind to the Igbos of all ethnic groups in Nigeria, yet they are always looking for ways to malign us and cast aspersions on our character before the world.

It was on record that ACB, the bank with which most Igbos save their money's was bankrupted upon their leaving for the east.

Also, it took the intervention of Awolowo for the 20 pounds per person to be approved by the then military government.

It is only in Nigeria that you hear of such thing happening, that a government pays the others side like that after a war.

I would have loved to know how much each confederate adult got from USA after the civil war ended. How much did Spanish and Greek government pay the losers of their own civil war

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:40pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Common, don't go there.

We built our own future.

Between 1954 and1966, we had built enough industrial estates all over the Western region to dwarf whatever advantage Igbos thought they had over us while cheating us out of employment in the civil service and the few companies they dominated at the time. We introduced free education for our people earlier, built University of Ife.

We played fairly. We did not attempt to cheat on other ethnic groups like the Igbos were doing to us.

War or no war. we were clearly ahead of the Igbos in every field of human endeavor in1966.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:53pm On Nov 01, 2017
Ovamboland:

How many people can save up to £10,000 in 1967? What was the budget of the country or regions at that time? The yearly salary of senior civil servants at that time was far less than £1,000. Per capita gdp was about £200, it will the height of conjecture to assume £20 was small money at that time.

And was the Nigerian government obliged to give Ibo adults any money? They got paid what was a full month wage for rebelling against the country. Rather than aknowledge that as an act of kindness and magnanimity, you use that to sneer and heap opprobrium on those who were considerate enough to do that. What would you lot have done or not done if only £0 was handed over to ibo adults?

10,000pounds will buy 20 Peogeot's brand new cars in 1970.

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:53pm On Nov 01, 2017
Rotimik:

You people wanted FG to pay what it did not owe. It was ACB that owed you people not FG. You people bankrupted ACB with mass withdrawals upon your departure to the east.

You should be grateful for fg's help. What if they had decided not to give anything. What would you people have done.

Why do Igbo people keep deluding themselves that everybody hate them.

You clearly don't grasp the responsibilities of a government. If there's a financial crash for example and you get banks failing, every responsible government in the world looks to intervene and bail out the failing institutions, so depositors don't lose their money. Deposited money in banks is supposed to be Federally insured. To claim the FG has no responsibility is absurd. And even more absurd in the light of fighting to keep a separatist group in the country, only to abandon them to their own fate after their losses. Why would we be grateful for getting less than we're entitled to?

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 1:04pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

You clearly don't grasp the responsibilities of a government. If there's a financial crash for example and you get banks failing, every responsible government in the world looks to intervene and bail out the failing institutions, so depositors don't lose their money. Deposited money in banks is supposed to be Federally insured. To claim the FG has no responsibility is absurd. And even more absurd in the light of fighting to keep a separatist group in the country, only to abandon them to their own fate after their losses. Why would we be grateful for getting less than we're entitled to?

Bailouts of banks is a modern idea which allow taxpayers to suffer the irresponsibility of others. Such a thing does not exist at the time.

By the way Nigeria does not have such money.

If you are familiar with Nigeria's banking history, you will realize that many banks have gone under in the past without government intervention while accounts holders were given just N50K even though they had millions with the banks. It happened during Babangida and Abacha regimes.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

"Stella Oduah's Fraud At Enugu Airport" / Udom Emmanuel Buys SUVs For Royal Fathers In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Hadiza Ibrahim: How Arrested Abuja Beggar Made Her ₦500,000, $100 - FCTA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.