Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,113 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED (38675 Views)

Another Peter Obi Lie Busted. Twitter User Exposes Him And His Lie. / Peter Obis Lie Busted About His ICT Involvement In Anambra. Pic / "Lai Mohammed's Big Lie Busted" - By Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2017
Rotimik:

Common, don't go there.

We built our own future.

Between 1954 and1966, we had built enough industrial estates all over the Western region to dwarf whatever advantage Igbos thought they had over us while cheating us out of employment in the civil service and the few companies they dominated at the time. We introduced free education for our people earlier, built University of Ife.

We played fairly. We did not attempt to cheat on other ethnic groups like the Igbos were doing to us.

War or no war. we were clearly ahead of the Igbos in every field of human endeavor in1966.

Why are you quoting me twice?

The overwhelming majority of the largest industries/firms/financial institutions in the 60's were foreign and colonial investments in Lagos: many of which were indigenized post-war. Stop exaggerating as if you were founding major industries all over the South West.

I'm arguing nothing about who was ahead before the war. The point was a massive gap in the corporate industries developed post-war after the SW indigenes who were better poised were able to buy stakes in the firms and Igbos were unable to.
And your assertion you were ahead of us in all fields in '66 has been refuted here severally before. Sure in the early decades of the 20th century, Yorubas who had greater access to Western education and trade were the pioneers in most fields producing the first doctors, professors, industry professionals etc. By the 60's we had bridged the gap. At the time UI and UNN were the only universities in Nigeria, Igbos had comfortably more scholars than any other group in the country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

You clearly don't grasp the responsibilities of a government. If there's a financial crash for example and you get banks failing, every responsible government in the world looks to intervene and bail out the failing institutions, so depositors don't lose their money. Deposited money in banks is supposed to be Federally insured. To claim the FG has no responsibility is absurd. And even more absurd in the light of fighting to keep a separatist group in the country, only to abandon them to their own fate after their losses. Why would we be grateful for getting less than we're entitled to?

There wasn't anything like Nigeria Deposits Insurance Company at the time.

This experience actually led to the formation of NDIC.

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 1:20pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Why are you quoting me twice?

The overwhelming majority of the largest industries/firms/financial institutions in the 60's were foreign and colonial investments in Lagos: many of which were indigenized post-war. Stop exaggerating as if you were founding major industries all over the South West.

I'm arguing nothing about who was ahead before the war. The point was a massive gap in the corporate industries developed post-war after the SW indigenes who were better poised were able to buy stakes in the firms and Igbos were unable to.
And your assertion you were ahead of us in all fields in '66 has been refuted here severally before. Sure in the early decades of the 20th century, Yorubas who had greater access to Western education and trade were the pioneers in most fields producing the first doctors, professors, industry professionals etc. By the 60's we had bridged the gap. At the time UI and UNN were the only universities in Nigeria, Igbos had comfortably more scholars than any other group in the country.

The only advantage Igbos thought they had was through job grabbing, not in terms of qualified personnel. We had more doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientist's, management professionals, name it.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Orobo2Lekpa: 1:58pm On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:
Funny.
English is not something I see as a mark of distinction but rather a badge of enslavement. I am not English.
But I know for a fact that if you spent the rest of your inconsequential life studying you can never match my mastery of the Language.

why didn't you write in Yoruba as you are not a slave?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Lot13(m): 2:09pm On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:
You see there are so many lies about that time that people believe without questioning.

Some of it they believe because they WANT TO. This may sound strange but people can make a deliberate effort to believe a falsehood like the young lad who walks in and finds his mother in copulo with Pastor Koboko and persuades himself they were praying. The human capacity for self deception is astounding.

Now consider the story told about Awolowo and the indigenization policy. How he conspired as Minister of Finance to facilitate the acquisition of businesses by Yorubas.

The Fact is Awolowo left Gowon's government in 1971 in fact he sent is his resignation letter giving notice in 1970. This is public knowledge.
It is also a fact that the First indigenization decree was promulgated in 1972 With Shehu Shagari as Minister of Finance from 1971-1975. Still you will never hear Shagari's name but Awolowo.

WHY??

The reason is simple.

The civil war brought a new and profound sense of failure for these people and they remained in shock for a long time. They needed a narrative to explain their failure. For them the principal reason for their failure had to be Awo and by extension the Yoruba.Reality was irrelevant.
Well we differ. You lost out not because of Yoruba betrayal(we were not allies politically) but rather because of your tendency to act impulsively without planning or regard to consequences. Just like we have seen recently with Nnamdi Kanu

Essentially they are owned by a deep sense of self hate that is so corrosive internally it had to be externalized and Awo and the Yorubas are a ready alibi.
Till tomorrow they have not been able to confront and process or interrogate the pogroms of 66 and 67 and its perpetrators ,they cannot even look them in the eye. A case of collective Stockholm syndrome.
Well They are entitled to their hate. We are entitled to ensure the fidelity of any historical narratives.

Awolowo was VERY GOOD to them and they should make a big statue for him in Owerri
Brilliant!!!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by hornyofife: 2:22pm On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:

Again you must be Young

Which bank>

What were the names of the banks that existed in Nigeria? Do not lie to Yourself.

There were two main Banks Barclays Bank which became Union Bank and Standard Bank which became Firstbank. In the whole of Nigeria there were not up to 50 branches. Barclays was a British Bank until it was nationalized to Union Bank.

One question I always ask folk like you .

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF BIAFRA SUCCEEDED. Were you going to come back to claim your so called money.

The next question is this

I HAVE NOT COME ACROSS ONE IJAW EFIK IBIBIO etc man who claimed to have lost money in the banks

Did Nigeria make any law to seize money in banks?

The truth is those who had proof they had money got it while many typical liars claimed to have lost their documents. Even if that were true . DID THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT TAKE THAT MONEY?

The first law about taking money in dormant accounts EVER in Nigeria was debated this year.

So even if they lost money they lost money to the BANKS not the government

Finally the truth is Biafrans knew they were NEVER COMING back most withdrew their money and changed it for the Biafran pounds and Ojukwu used their moneyto buy weapons.Nigeria reacted by changing their currency.

It would be a different thing if you said Biafrans came with old Nigerian money.But the bank account story is something a young person who did not know Nigeria in the 60s or 70s would say.

What cannot be escaped is the question

If these folk had money in banks

WHO TOOK IT.

Show us one Newspaper clipping or legislation that empowered GOVERNMENT to take anyone's money

GOVERNOR GODSWILL AKPABIO SPEAKS ON BIAFRA AND GOWON WITH THEWILL NEWS

THEWILL: You have been very vocal lately in dismissing and trashing the then federal military government’s post-civil war efforts at the 3 Rs: Reconstruction, Reconciliation and Rehabilitation. What don’t you agree with?

AKPABIO: As a young man, you definitely will not understand me. But I was a victim of the Civil War. I was one of those who suffered the pains of the war. I was born sometime in 1962; the civil war came really into our area in 1967. So, I was probably five or six years old during the war; and if I had been around nine years, I would probably have been conscripted.

I saw parents throw their children into pit toilets because they did not want their positions to be made known to the enemy. I saw devastation; I saw kwashiorkor; I saw hunger; I saw thousands of people and bodies littered everywhere and smelling while vultures had a field day every day. I saw houses destroyed; I saw families scattered such that till the end of the world, they can never gather themselves together again. There were children who were shipped away to Gabon, and they can never come back to Nigeria again because they were small. How would two-year-olds and three-year-olds ever know where they came from? They are now proud Gabonese and I don’t think Nigerians are even asking questions.

So, during the Silverbird Man of the Year Award, there were pictures that were shown of the Civil War. Somebody, sitting by me, who is from the West, was asking if those things were acted: the Kwashiorkor-ridden children with their swollen tummies, ugly shapes and bony structures because of hunger and starvation.

The then Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon attempted to explain that he tried everything to avoid the scenes that were being shown on the screen, that he did not want the war. The other person who could have answered him, unfortunately, that is Emeka Ojukwu, is dead. He said he tried everything to stop the war from breaking out but it’s only Ojukwu who could have answered whether he equally did his part in avoiding the war.

But something struck me: it was said that Gowon should be commended for initiating the three Rs: reconciliation, rehabilitation and reconstruction. And I asked a very simple question, that I came with a written text but I wasn’t going to read it. I thanked Silverbird for the award; and I said I did not want to criticise my leaders because I am also now a leader. But I asked to be allowed to ask a question: how come reconstruction started in the West when the war was actually fought in the East? They started the Third Mainland Bridge, the National Theatre, the international airport, and so on, in the West, while the war was fought in the eastern region. And if we really wanted to ensure total reconciliation, how come every account holder in the eastern region was given only £20? It did not matter whether your father had £10,000,000 or £50,000,000 before the war; you were given just £20. It was a take it or leave it situation. If your family survived and there was an account holder alive, he/she went to the bank, and collected just £20.

Could £20 pounds solve the Kwashiorkor that we were seeing? Could it reconstruct the houses that were burnt? Could it produce food? A lot of other things happened that I did not mention on that occasion. Don’t forget that it was shortly after the war in 1971 that the policy of indigenisation started, where most of the foreign industries and companies were sold to Nigerians, and the war-ravaged eastern regions, which include the entire South-South and the rest of them, could not buy, because no one who did not have money to even feed or clothe himself would have had money to buy any industry. So, I was just wondering, as a young man, if that was true reconciliation, because one would have thought that the government would have gone to any extent to give them more money so that they could truly rehabilitate themselves.

They needed money from reconstruction, and I would have thought that reconstruction would have also started from the East. I just asked because we were lucky to have the persona dramatis of the war right in front of us: General T. Y. Danjuma, General Yakubu Gowon, General Buhari and others. It is very rare to see three former heads of state in just one place, so I had to ask.

I said also that it is important, even for the current-day leaders, that we continue to take actions that will unite Nigeria. And we should purge ourselves of actions that tend to cause pains to Nigerians. For me, I believe that because of certain policies of the federal government after the war, the war did not cease in the eastern lregion until about 30 years after the war.

https://www.nairaland.com/1457961/gov-akpabio-akwa-ibom-state

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=191387944379365&set=a.108421046009389.10559.100005244818648&type=1

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2017
NOTHING TO DO WITH BANK ACCOUNTS

It was an exchange for Biafran Pounds

Every person who had Biafran pounds was given £20 Nigerian whether it was 20 or 1million Biafran pounds

NEW YORK TIMES 1987

During the war, many Ibos lost their fortunes when the Federal Government switched the currency in circulation, declaring the old coins and bills valueless. When peace came, Ibos were allowed to exchange a maximum of 20 Biafran pounds for 20 Nigerian pounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/14/world/few-traces-of-the-civil-war-linger-in-biafra.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2017
rlauncher:

The only advantage Igbos thought they had was through job grabbing, not in terms of qualified personnel. We had more doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientist's, management professionals, name it.

To be honest, neither of us has a shred of proof of all these claims. There aren't a lot of statistical data on the number of professionals, particularly in the corporate world (Igbos certainly dominated civil service though the popular claim is this was devised by Zik's tribalism), but the student populations at the time is a historical fact and the Igbos at the time were ahead.
Your earlier claim that you were ahead of us in every field of human endeavour before the war can't be substantiated. Around the 30's and 40's, Yorubas did have a massive generational advantage over every other region but we certainly bridged the gap by independence and were competing well in producing professionals.

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:45pm On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:
NOTHING TO DO WITH BANK ACCOUNTS

It was an exchange for Biafran Pounds

Every person who had Biafran pounds was given £20 Nigerian whether it was 20 or 1million Biafran pounds

NEW YORK TIMES 1987

During the war, many Ibos lost their fortunes when the Federal Government switched the currency in circulation, declaring the old coins and bills valueless. When peace came, Ibos were allowed to exchange a maximum of 20 Biafran pounds for 20 Nigerian pounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/14/world/few-traces-of-the-civil-war-linger-in-biafra.html

I've examined this thread and it begs the question:
Which myth or lie exactly do you think you have "busted" here?

4 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Lot13(m): 3:09pm On Nov 01, 2017
Ngozi123:

Let me ask you this, why are you so obsessed with Igbo people?
silly, Obsessed with Igbo people? The truth sometimes truly hurts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2017
If you go around claiming that Mr A wronged Mr B .

Then Mr A has every right and indeed duty to call Mr B to account so as to protect his name.

Igbos claim That Awolowo,Yoruba and Nigerian forcefully acquired their treasure. How is an attempt to set history straight an obsession.
Let it not be said that the false narrative ever went unchallenged .
That is how people claim land ownership when the real owners are silent as we see with Fulanis claiming rights today in Plateau. People kept quiet for so long and falsehood started to appear as reality

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2017
The next myth to be busted is that 3 million Igbos died in the war.
The reality is that the number is unknown and the 3 million figure has no basis.
In fact I am not even sure that any single town or village has put forward any figure whether factual or estimated

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:
The next myth to be busted is that 3 million Igbos died in the war.
The reality is that the number is unknown and the 3 million figure has no basis.
In fact I am not even sure that any single town or village has put forward any figure whether factual or estimated

It was 2M. People died on both sides although Igbos suffer the most

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 6:04pm On Nov 01, 2017
Rotimik:

It was 2M. People died on both sides although Igbos suffer the most
I am not saying whether it was 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 million

But what is the source of the figure ? How was it computed? By what methodology.?

What any good researcher would do is find the FIRST PUBLISHED ARTICLE that mentions any figure and interrogate the sources therein.
So when was the first time that figure was mentioned ,by whom and what was the basis?

My own education is not to learn "facts" but to interrogate them

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by SIRTee15: 7:28pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

I've examined this thread and it begs the question:
Which myth or lie exactly do you think you have "busted" here?
the myth that Nigeria stole ibo's money and gave them mere 20 pounds...
the truth is ibos had no money anybody could steal because all they had was biafran pounds which was useless...
the 20 pounds was a gift by the Nigerian govt in an effort to mop up biafran currency out of circulation and give ibos a fresh start....
its not really much, but at least its something....
So many ibos remained in Nigeria during the biafran war, none of them had their money stolen or confiscated...
and they were not offered 20 pounds...

I think the lesson learnt here is that some gift are not just worth it because it will never be appreciated...
Nigerian govt should have just told the cold truth that biafran pound wasn't a recognised currency, thus wouldn't be exchanged for the Nigerian pounds...
that sounds harsh, but at least hopes wouldn't have been dashed and I'm sure a lot of ibos would have gotten over it quickly....
and of course, there would have no 20 pounds myth.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:00pm On Nov 01, 2017
SIRTee15:

the myth that Nigeria stole ibo's money and gave them mere 20 pounds...the truth is ibos had no money anybody could steal because all they had was biafran pounds which was useless...
the 20 pounds was a gift by the Nigerian govt in an effort to mop up biafran currency out of circulation and give ibos a fresh start....
its not really much, but at least its something....
So many ibos remained in Nigeria during the biafran war, none of them had their money stolen or confiscated...
and they were not offered 20 pounds...

I think the lesson learnt here is that some gift are not just worth it because it will never be appreciated...
Nigerian govt should have just told the cold truth that biafran pound wasn't a recognised currency, thus wouldn't be exchanged for the Nigerian pounds...
that sounds harsh, but at least hopes wouldn't have been dashed and I'm sure a lot of ibos would have gotten over it quickly....
and of course, there would have no 20 pounds myth.

Except the bolded is a strawman, cos I have not seen anyone claiming that.

To say what the FG gave a minority of Igbos was a "gift" after what was lost is exactly what makes post-war reconciliation difficult and rendered Gowon's pretensions at appeasement to be worthless. It was the same FG that rendered the old bills Igbos had worthless after switching the currency in circulation. The most pernicious effect of this destruction of the Igbo middle class post-war came with the indigenization of companies immediately after the war.

There have been no myths busted here. All I see is distortions of what Igbos have claimed. Then you argue against those distortions you created.

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by SIRTee15: 8:21pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

To say what the FG gave a minority of Igbos was a "gift" after what was lost is exactly what makes post-war reconciliation difficult and rendered Gowon's pretensions at appeasement to be worthless. It was the same FG that rendered the old bills Igbos had worthless after switching the currency in circulation. The most pernicious effect of this destruction of the Igbo middle class post-war came with the indigenization of companies immediately after the war.

There have been no myths busted here. All I see is distortions of what Igbos have claimed. Then you argue against those distortions you created.

ibos post-Biafra, claimed they were given 20 pounds irrespective of the amount in their bank deposit, then they were silent....
over the years, this fact has been distorted to the extent a lot of people believe FG intentionally impoverish the ibos after the war by denying them access to their money....
read thru the thread and see people claiming the money in contention was deposit prior to the war or that the deposits were in Nigerian currency.....
even akpabio parroted the nonsense during the silverbird award dinner in front of a large audience....
There's nothing wrong if the facts are laid bare....

I will not comment on the above u wrote....
all is fair in war, they say....
no matter how u look at it, we'll both agree war is a terrible thing and should be avoided at all cost...
WAR is not like our Hollywood scripted movie....
In real war, there are no bad guyz or good guyz, there are no good intention or bad intention....
everything comes down to what exactly should be done to emerge victorious....
Americans are considered the good lads of world war 2, but nobody talks about the atomic bomb detonation by the allies....
The Biafra war was unnecessary and a bitter part of our co-existence...
and sometimes, I do wonder if we've learnt any lesson from that experience....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:04pm On Nov 01, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

No,Mbanu!!!

The old notes were exchanged EXCHANGED EXCHANGED for Biafran pounds and Ojukwu used much if not all of it including what he looted from banks to fund the war.. So the FG sensibly put a stop to that.

The blame for the LOSS lies with Ojukwu.
If in the spirit of reconciliation we decide not to play blame game I would agree BUT

Let us STOP this LIE that the remaining Bank accounts in Nigerian Banks were appropriated by government

THAT IS JUST NOT TRUE.

We cannot build anything on lies. We wronged ourselves in that war and the Igbos lost a lot but victimhood is not something to celebrate or distort just to score points. No extant bank accounts were confiscated

In practical terms how will it even work without any single newspaper carrying it.HOW??

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 01, 2017
aribisala0:

No the old notes were exchanged EXCHANGED EXCHANGED for Biafran pounds and Ojukwu use much if not all of it including what he looted from banks to fund the war.. So the FG sensibly put a stop to that.

The blame for the LOSS lies with Ojukwu.
If in the spirit of reconciliation we decide not to play blame game I would agree BUT

Let us STOP this LIE that the remaining Bank accounts in Nigerian Banks were appropriated by government

THAT IS JUST NOT TRUE.

We cannot build anything on lies. We wronged ourselves in that war and the Igbos lost a lot but victimhood is not something to celebrate or distort just to score points. No extant bank accounts were

In practical terms how will it even work without any single newspaper carrying it.HOW??
I am sure you were not even born by 1970
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by GavelSlam: 6:31am On Nov 02, 2017
Chuks0485:

It's obvious that you have not experienced war. He whose house is on fire, does he pursue rat? Your Thought about war and preservance of bank booklet tells me how daft you are about what a war that lasted for about 3 years looks like on the inhabitants.

So if booklets were not preserved, on what basis did they intend to make withdrawals?

Secondly, were they expecting to lose the war such that many of them refused to convert their money into Biafra Pounds?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by GavelSlam: 6:33am On Nov 02, 2017
braivheart:

Take this post down.

You don't have to twist history to justify anybody's actions.

Decide henceforth to be truthful, you'd be respected for it.

The post would not be taken down.

If he's telling tales counter him with FACTS.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by GoldNiagara(m): 6:35am On Nov 02, 2017
mpianya39:

You should have direct this trash to your father,grand father and great grand father....infact!!! All your generation both born and unborn silly FooooOLS

The thing too pain you! lol

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by GavelSlam: 6:37am On Nov 02, 2017
obailala:
The FG didn't pay any money to Igbos, rather they returned a tiny fraction of the seized. If an Igbo man had £10,000 in his account, only £20 was returned to him; if the man had zero in his account, nothing was paid to him.

Any government gazette to support this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by bluke(m): 7:19am On Nov 02, 2017
aribisala0:
In 1970 after the war the Nigerian government generally gave £20 of Nigerian money to every eligible adult but no one has ever done the math.

Let us assume their were one million of them =£20million Nigerian

We know that the Nigerian pound exchanged for £2 pounds sterling in 1970 so
that would be £40 million . What would that be worth today

according to this inflation calculator

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html
it would be
£432612859. Sterling
Not sure what sterling is doing these days but @ 475

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

Assuming it was 1 million people that received the money. No one has ever told us how many did but I think it could be double that.

For a country to pay that out immediately after a war of such devastation is a huge feat considering that Nigeria was not even a major oil exporter in1970 and in 1970 oil prices were under $4 which when adjusted for inflation in today's money is $21.

It is a testament to the prudent financial management of Papa Awo who also kept the allocation of East Central state for 3 years and paid it all after the war

But they are not grateful and feel entitled to that payment. What have we done for the NE . Imagine finding 200 billion to give them today when oil prices in real terms are 3 X what they were in 1970

The standard of living was much lower. Let me put it in Perspective our standard of living then, There was no Lagos Ibadan Expressway. No East -West Road. PH to Aba was a single carriage way.The Air assault camp was the main airport in PH Omagwa airport did not exist. There was nothing like presidential jet. Where were the airports?
The country was broke with very little compared to today but still gave generously in the spirit or sacrifice and reconciliation

in addition to your write up,
the twenty naira policy was a committee recommendation, it was not awolowo's decision.
He was just the finance minister that acted on the report.
so the action was not his fault

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 7:39am On Nov 02, 2017
bluke:

the twenty naira policy was a committee recommendation, it was not awolowo's decision.
The word fault is a misnomer and does not come into it at all. It was a very generous gestrure

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by mpianya39(m): 8:27am On Nov 02, 2017
GoldNiagara:

The thing too pain you! lol
undecided undecided

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 1:38pm On Nov 02, 2017
bluke:

There was no fault in the 20 pounds policy at all. It was a gift to help the Igbos.

They are not entitled to it!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Nwogeh: 4:28pm On Nov 02, 2017
I see ignorance and laziness displayed conspicuously on the topic. A simple research of why and how come about the 20pound from both sides would have saved the OP all these embarrassments. You are asking for proof of issues that even the perpetrators have admitted and tried to justify. I can see that some Igbos and Yorubas like creating threads for quarrels and name calling even when it is not worth it. Nobody will ever pray for what happened to Igbos to happen to them, because the effect of that avoidable war has been devastating and trying to make jest of it is really absurd and unexpected of a right thinking person. If the claims of the Igbos about the 20 pounds or 2 or 3m igbos being killed or even the food blockade (which i see you coming to "bust out"....blood buster) were false, Nigeria government or those that took part in it would be in the position to write on it at least to state their own version of it all. More over there is always two side to a story but this your own is not on any of those two sides. Gowon, Awo and others have spoken their own version of what happened, why not look for those information and feast on than coming here to look for trouble.
Sincerely speaking if not the convenience of getting the latest reliable news of events happening in this country, I would have been long out of this NL where frustrated people come to look for e-tribal war. Igbos, Yourubas, superior or inferior, wicked or good, nice or fraudulent, have you thought about you yourself, who are you, can you even fall within the circle of good traits of your tribe, or you just want to use igbo or yoruba to cover how evil you could be. Abeg, people can believe what they want to believe and i don't believe that adding insult to their injury can make them feel better. #weneedagenuinereconciliationinthiscountry.....period!
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Duru1(m): 5:03pm On Nov 02, 2017
aribisala0:
In 1970 after the war the Nigerian government generally gave £20 of Nigerian money to every eligible adult but no one has ever done the math.

Let us assume their were one million of them =£20million Nigerian

We know that the Nigerian pound exchanged for £2 pounds sterling in 1970 so
that would be £40 million . What would that be worth today

according to this inflation calculator

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html
it would be
£432612859. Sterling
Not sure what sterling is doing these days but @ 475

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

Assuming it was 1 million people that received the money. No one has ever told us how many did but I think it could be double that.

For a country to pay that out immediately after a war of such devastation is a huge feat considering that Nigeria was not even a major oil exporter in1970 and in 1970 oil prices were under $4 which when adjusted for inflation in today's money is $21.

It is a testament to the prudent financial management of Papa Awo who also kept the allocation of East Central state for 3 years and paid it all after the war

But they are not grateful and feel entitled to that payment. What have we done for the NE . Imagine finding 200 billion to give them today when oil prices in real terms are 3 X what they were in 1970

The standard of living was much lower. Let me put it in Perspective our standard of living then, There was no Lagos Ibadan Expressway. No East -West Road. PH to Aba was a single carriage way. The Air assault camp was the main airport in PH Omagwa airport did not exist . There was nothing like presidential jet. Where were the airports?
The country was broke with very little compared to today but still gave generously in the spirit or sacrifice and reconciliation

You are an irreparable disgrace to your ethnic nationality in Nigeria. You were not in Biafra or probably not born during the Nigeria/Biafra war yet are bent on making fool of your silly self by posting idiotic conjectures. Again, Nigeria did not give every Biafra 20 pounds. The 20 pounds were given any individual who had proof of certain amount of money in the banks in Nigeria before the war. Based on the situation on the ground by then due to destruction lives and properties by the war, I can say unequivocally that not more than 50, 000 Igbo peeps received the 20 pounds. Before the Nigeria/Biafra broke out, there is an air airport in Umumasi which accommodated planes such as the BOAC DC 3 or 4 and MIG 19s and 21.

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by jpphilips(m): 5:06pm On Nov 02, 2017
Ikechuob:

Then explain to me why my family was affected with the 20 pounds saga then oh history distorter. I'll be waiting.

Considering Asaba was not among the Biafra and my family lived in Lagos prior to the Biafra war, none changed their money to Biafra pounds. Therefore, history rewriter, explain to me why my grandmother couldn't take it her husband's own money from the bank despite she had evidence it belongs to her husband, instead she received 20 pounds. I'll be waiting for that answer. Thank you.

First of all, there was a pogrom before the war, the pogrom metamorphosed to a mass exodus of igbos from all cities in Nigeria, Lagos inclusive, you dont need your family to tell you hogwash, igbo exodus from Lagos 1967 is on youtube.
It is unlikely your family was in Lagos during the war, the NA would have rounded them off and finished them as saboteurs, so go back and ask your father where he really was hiding at the time.
Picture this, in a war between ISIS and the US, Isis members will freely move around in LA?
How does that make any sense to you?

If your father was not in Lagos, then he was in the east that means he had Biafran pounds not Nigerian pounds, for obvious reasons.

Asaba was mid west politically but they were affected by the war just like its neighbor Anambra because they had loads of igbos living there at the time.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 5:26pm On Nov 02, 2017
Duru1:

You are an irreparable disgrace to your ethnic nationality in Nigeria. You were not in Biafra or probably not born during the Nigeria/Biafra war yet are bent on making fool of your silly self by posting idiotic conjectures. Again, Nigeria did not give every Biafra 20 pounds. The 20 pounds were given any individual who had proof of certain amount of money in the banks in Nigeria before the war. Based on the situation on the ground by then due to destruction lives and properties by the war, I can say unequivocally that not more than 50, 000 Igbo peeps received the 20 pounds. Before the Nigeria/Biafra broke out, there is an air airport in Umumasi which accommodated planes such as the BOAC DC 3 or 4 and MIG 19s and 21.
You talk like an uneducated tout.

Where is Air assault in Port Harcourt? It is next to Bori camp which is close but not exactly Rumuomasi(What is your point?). That airport was the civilian airport in Port Harcourt Throughout the 70s. I know . PERSONALLY
Only when the new airport opened was it handed to the airforce

20 pounds was given in exchange for Biafran pound notes and so individuals whether they had 20 Biafran pounds or I million pounds all got 20 Nigerian pounds.
It had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with money in Bank accounts
Where does your 50 000 figure come from.?

Anyway if it was only 50000 why are you complaining as if it was every Igbo man that had a bank account.

What you have failed to show us is what kind of order was given.

DID THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT INSTRUCT BANKS TO IDENTIFY IGBO ACCOUNTS AND HOW WAS THIS DONE IN PRACTICE??

What about the Non Igbos from Eastern Nigeria why do they not speak

What about the bank books
What about any other documentary evidence.
No law or decree giving banks the order? No gazette
No newspaper headline?

Come on this is not Ariaria market or Chinyelugo Inn

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

Soludo Replies Okonjo-Iweala, Accuses Her Of Forging National Economics Stats / Stop Your Campaigns For My Re-election For Now, Buhari Tells Supporters / Atiku Told Me Ayu Must Go, Wike Rejects Jibrin’s Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.