Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302712 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:25am On Jun 20, 2019
hello please is anyone coming to the Uk very soon, or known anyone coming soon? please kindly indicate, i have few things i need to bring from nigeria ( not even up to 1kg)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 7:20am On Jun 20, 2019
Lexusgs430:

If only I was single........ At least i know my in law has a beautiful fish...........
lol
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ashirioluwa: 4:33am On Jun 21, 2019
justwise:

Disregard my previous posts, that is for Iceland and not Ireland.

You can visit Dublin with a short stay UK visa and the application is made online here http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Visit%20Tourist#submit-online

Instruction here https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/our-services/visas/top-visa-questions/resident-in-the-uk/
You said one can apply for Irish visa from UK
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by popplm(m): 4:29pm On Jun 21, 2019
Mamatukwas:
Hello All!

New migrant alert here. This thread has been great, thanks a lot to all who have contributed.

Pls my perspective is slightly different. I'm a Tier5 dependent (Wife) and we all moved with our 3 children. It has honestly been unbelievably expensive and we still have not settled in a house we like.. have been doing short stay which is very expensive.

Anyhoo, we are North and even though I honestly won't be able to work for at least a year or two coz I have small children, I want to invest the time wisely doing courses etc that will allow me be immediately relevant when I'm ready. So for those with knowledge pls help your sister... which areas are perpetually hot in the U.K. especially the Scotland area. Pls note that - I have over 10 years experience in Entrepreneurial endeavors/Business management. - No passion for IT or Medical fields plus Hubby na d medic. - For now considering Social work or Project Mgt or Event Mgt (Events coz I have a passion there) but I don't know if it pays this side.

I honestly have never not contributed to the household purse and I dey pity Oga as I'm seeing how the money is vanishing.. won't even mind ideas on what I can do online at home from now to earn in the U.K. Pls oh my peeps give me ideas based on your wealth of knowledge. Many thanks.

Cc: @Aphrodite007 @fatima04 and all the other greats on the thread. Pls don't waka pass. Thank you.

hello ma,

I am planning to move to Scotland (Edinburgh) for my masters program next September and coming with my wife and 3 children of 3 years, 7 years and 10 years as dependant....please what do I prepare for as I hope my wife can work too to support our living.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:01pm On Jun 21, 2019
Residential mortgage vs rent to buy mortgage..........

Read full story in the Telegraph.......

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:53pm On Jun 21, 2019
Any advice on how best to share bills in the UK for 2 working class couples.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 1:38am On Jun 22, 2019
sgtponzihater1:
Without children involved, One person should focus on shopping and gas bills. Second person should focus on house rent and electricity bills

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 1:39am On Jun 22, 2019
popplm:
hello ma,

I am planning to move to Scotland (Edinburgh) for my masters program next September and coming with my wife and 3 children of 3 years, 7 years and 10 years as dependant....please what do I prepare for as I hope my wife can work too to support our living.

Thanks
Let her go and volunteer at any care home in Nigeria as care assistant or to get Teaching experience for private Home tutorials.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 1:53am On Jun 22, 2019
sammydoe:
Abeg guys in the forum , we're can someone get a room for just 3 months to rent in London. My friend is coming for a short course
Goodmorning. I have received more than 10 pms from you within 5 months but not convinced to reply back due to some personal reasons. Please how can I help? Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 1:54am On Jun 22, 2019
Irenenwaka:
hello please is anyone coming to the Uk very soon, or known anyone coming soon? please kindly indicate, i have few things i need to bring from nigeria ( not even up to 1kg)
It is very difficult to trust people nowadays by collecting things from Nigeria
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:35am On Jun 22, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Open a joint account .... write down a list of all expenditure , once you have a clear view of what the total figure is then the couple can decided how it should be split. Ie 50/50 or 70/30 . . Then everyone pays their monthly portion into the joint account and bank roll everything from that account

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:08am On Jun 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Open a joint account .... write down a list of all expenditure , once you have a clear view of what the total figure is then the couple can decided how it should be split. Ie 50/50 or 70/30 . . Then everyone pays their monthly portion into the joint account and bank roll everything from that account

Thanks mam coming from a woman I respect that. Someone wants to give me £100 pounds a month, claiming I am the man while both of us still work. We did this in Nigeria because my job gave me a free house, how can I start this now here too sad?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 6:15am On Jun 22, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Thanks mam coming from a woman I respect that. Someone wants to give me £100 pounds a month, claiming I am the man while both of us still work. We did this in Nigeria because my job gave me a free house, how can I start this now here too sad?

grin grin grin

This marriage thing is funny o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:23am On Jun 22, 2019
Inkredible:

grin grin grin

This marriage thing is funny o

Now we have comparable pay and u want me to continue, using "u are the man as a point". Man must still survive sha. This life is a pot of hot beans grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 7:16am On Jun 22, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Now we have comparable pay and u want me to continue, using "u are the man as a point". Man must still survive sha. This life is a pot of hot beans grin

I am assuming that the woman in this story is either the partner or wife of the man.

Let’s not deceive ourselves here. The man and the woman should sit down and sort it out by THEMSELVES.

No one on this forum knows them as much as they know themselves.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:22am On Jun 22, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Best you agree to a working formula, before financial issues starts digging holes in your marriage..........

£100 pcm for what nah?..... Are you a donkey or a horse?

She needs to have an orientation change (couples work out a sharing formula, that works for them)......

Get a pen and paper, write out all bills....... From mortgage/rent to hair treatments, to Tesco/Aldi shopping, to kids extra lesson payments etc etc

And agree a percentage, either put in joint account or make person listed responsible for agreed list........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:47am On Jun 22, 2019
Can be tempting to cheat those self scan machines aka shoplifting....... But be mindful of the consequences............

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 9:55am On Jun 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:
Can be tempting to cheat those self scan machines aka shoplifting....... But be mindful of the consequences............

Think of what you have to lose. Never do this as a Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 10:30am On Jun 22, 2019
Here's how my partner and I do it: we have 3 joint accounts for expenses, savings and holidays. Because we don't earn the same amount of money, we decided that each person contribute the same percentage of their income to each account (30% each for expenses, 30% savings, 10% holidays) The remaining 30% left in our separate accounts is spending money for each person to spend however they like. This has been working for us. The key is to find a formula that works for you guys.
sgtponzihater1:

15 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:34am On Jun 22, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Yes you are the man grin .... carry it oo. If you have then yes it has to be spent for the household . I too make sure my husband is carrying the house well over 70 to 80 percent .... He still has extra after that so no complains for now .... yes I am only a helper . cool

Both of you need to sit down and work out what works best

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:55am On Jun 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Yes you are the man grin .... carry it oo. If you have then yes it has to be spent for the household . I too make sure my husband is carrying the house well over 70 to 80 percent .... He still has extra after that so no complains for now .... yes I am only a helper . cool

Both of you need to sit down and work out what works best

That's why I never considered marrying you....... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:56am On Jun 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

That's why I never considered marrying you....... grin

smiley cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 22, 2019
STENON:
It is very difficult to trust people nowadays by collecting things from Nigeria

lol i know right, but its just about 2 spiritual books that why i have come to a public platform like this ..i want to buy it in nigeria, its a bit expensive here .
so they can put juju into the book if they want lmmao
thank you so much my brother/sister for your concerns though grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by davide470(m): 11:19am On Jun 22, 2019
nomad26:
Here's how my partner and I do it: we have 3 joint accounts for expenses, savings and holidays. Because we don't earn the same amount of money, we decided that each person contribute the same percentage of their income to each account (30% each for expenses, 30% savings, 10% holidays) The remaining 30% left in our separate accounts is spending money for each person to spend however they like. This has been working for us. The key is to find a formula that works for you guys.
I love this formula! Booked for future reference!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:20am On Jun 22, 2019
Irenenwaka:

lol i know right, but its just about 2 spiritual books that why i have come to a public platform like this ..i want to buy it in nigeria, its a bit expensive here .

If book is very good, author or publisher/publishing house, would list on amazon......

Simply buy & download it.............

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:21am On Jun 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

smiley cheesy grin

Our family + our home = our maintenance.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by popplm(m): 12:43pm On Jun 22, 2019
STENON:
Let her go and volunteer at any care home in Nigeria as care assistant or to get Teaching experience for private Home tutorials.
she has a degree in teacher's Education/chemistry and also attended a training on nursing for 2 years in one of the hospital here. What's her chances of getting something done with all these in Scotland.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 3:40pm On Jun 22, 2019
popplm:
she has a degree in teacher's Education/chemistry and also attended a training on nursing for 2 years in one of the hospital here. What's her chances of getting something done with all these in Scotland.
That is very good sir. Please let her register with Teachers Registration council of Nigeria (TRCN) before leaving Naija and also let her go to any hospital to volunteer as a social worker (care assistant) for experience. so that the medical Director of the hospital or head teacher of where she taught can act a referee for her for either medical or tutoring job in scotland.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 3:43pm On Jun 22, 2019
Irenenwaka:

One thing my sister was saying when I was coming was... Biko, Do not collect even a tissue from anyone from Naija and I was like...why now !
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:47pm On Jun 22, 2019
STENON:
One thing my sister was saying when I was coming was... Biko, Do not collect even a tissue from anyone from Naija and I was like...why now !

Make then no go send you with garri (cocaine)....... No be dere hand the handcuffs go dey + eventual prison sentence........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:49pm On Jun 22, 2019
Should I claim my council tax discount........ grin

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 3:51pm On Jun 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Make then no go send you with garri (cocaine)....... No be dere hand the handcuffs go dey + eventual prison sentence........ grin
cheesy na so oo my brother ...and UK police matter no be here at all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.