Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1310181 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:34pm On Jul 10, 2019
LagosismyHome:

After the government encouraged people to buy Diesel they have now change mouth that it the most polluted cars and leading to air congestion so now Diesel car owners will most likely be taxed way more in the future . The London of mayor has manufactured ways to penalize owners with the London's Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge. i currently drive a Diesel but wont buy one again

The prices of diesels are plunging.......... Everyone i know that drives a diesel...... Have swore never to buy one again..........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adayoung(f): 8:48pm On Jul 12, 2019
How can I send stuff from Nigeria to Uk
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:51pm On Jul 12, 2019
Adayoung:
How can I send stuff from Nigeria to Uk
1. World Courier
2. DHL
3. NIPOST
4. Etc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adayoung(f): 10:19pm On Jul 12, 2019
RalphJean:

1. World Courier
2. DHL
3. NIPOST
4. Etc
Thanks. Food stuff too ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:51am On Jul 13, 2019
I go disagree with una small. No be everybody wey buy expensive/ recent car wan impress you or tell you say him don arrive.

1: You no sabi how much him get o. So you can’t be really sure if he can or can’t afford it.

2: Big congested cities and Outskirts of towns no be same thing. One requires you must have a car to commute and the other, not so much. Bus service kuku dey sef. Referencing the scooter.

3: (my personal favourite cheesy) Yolo!! If you can afford Tesla model S as a first time car, unku/ aunti, goan buy eet. Me I go like private jet but I no go run go collect loan on top say I wan buy one. Get it?

So to you reading this and considering car to buy, goan buy what you can afford. Emphasis is on “afford”.

If you wantu pepper dem too, abeg pepper dem joor. Who am I to tell you otherwise? cheesy

Una dey well.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TJ18(m): 7:46am On Jul 13, 2019
Good morning, thanks to all wonderful contributors on this thread. The information here is priceless.

I'm applying for a tier 2 visa for myself and my wife(dependant) and my employer is certifying maintenance for both of us.
Please how true is it that only marriage certificate from Ikoyi registry is recognized by the embassy because mine was done and issued at Ibadan registry.

Also, part of the documents required from my wife is proof of relationship in which I've compiled previous pictures, court wedding pics, intro pics and screenshot of chats. Please are their any other persuasive documents I may need to include.

I look forward to your response.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:09pm On Jul 13, 2019
TJ18:
Good morning, thanks to all wonderful contributors on this thread. The information here is priceless.

I'm applying for a tier 2 visa for myself and my wife(dependant) and my employer is certifying maintenance for both of us.
Please how true is it that only marriage certificate from Ikoyi registry is recognized by the embassy because mine was done and issued at Ibadan registry.

Also, part of the documents required from my wife is proof of relationship in which I've compiled previous pictures, court wedding pics, intro pics and screenshot of chats. Please are their any other persuasive documents I may need to include.

I look forward to your response.

Dont stress yourself with that unfounded rumour, as long as you are legally married in a certified court in Nigeria it is acceptable. You can also add your church/mosque certificate but not necessary.

Pictures and chats are not necessary for Tier 2 Visa. It is really easy as long as you stick to all the rules to the T.

All the best.

N.B:mine was done in a village from osun state and had no issues at all.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 2:40pm On Jul 13, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

They didn't ask for NIN. I'm not sure if the passport will be 10 year validity. I will receive in two weeks and let you know

I got the passport back after two weeks and an extra day. Still the same 5 year validity.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kcwitch(m): 8:41pm On Jul 13, 2019
Please i want to be sure of this. Someone said he got a uk work permit while here in Nigeria after paying a deposit to an agent? How real is that?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 10:13pm On Jul 13, 2019
kcwitch:
Please i want to be sure of this. Someone said he got a uk work permit while here in Nigeria after paying a deposit to an agent? How real is that?

What job?
What visa?
What was the deposit for?

Better chance you apply by your self

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TJ18(m): 10:24pm On Jul 13, 2019
[Thanks for this.]

Dont stress yourself with that unfounded rumour, as long as you are legally married in a certified court in Nigeria it is acceptable. You can also add your church/mosque certificate but not necessary.

Pictures and chats are not necessary for Tier 2 Visa. It is really easy as long as you stick to all the rules to the T.

All the best.

N.B:mine was done in a village from osun state and had no issues at all.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kcwitch(m): 6:32am On Jul 14, 2019
umarwy:

What job?
What visa?
What was the deposit for?

Better chance you apply by your self

Apply for which of them please? I want to be sure if there's anything like UK work permit while one is here in Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 7:12am On Jul 14, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

I got the passport back after two weeks and an extra day. Still the same 5 year validity.
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:40am On Jul 14, 2019
kcwitch:

Justwise loves the mention of travel agents..... It makes the hairs at the back of his neck, stand uncontrollably....... grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 10:50am On Jul 14, 2019
If you ask the agent for CoS and there's none then it's a fraud.

kcwitch:
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 10:55am On Jul 14, 2019
kcwitch:

Apply for which of them please? I want to be sure if there's anything like UK work permit while one is here in Nigeria?

I believe this question has been answered several times.

I also gave an answer for this less than 10 pages back.

Read My Friend
Read [b]M[/b]y [b]F[/b]riend

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AdaUK: 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2019
Not to worry
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kcwitch(m): 3:32pm On Jul 14, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Justwise loves the mention of travel agents..... It makes the hairs at the back of his neck, stand uncontrollably....... grin

Lol. Why? I'm planning on using an agent oh. I'm not really good with this travel stuff, I don't want to waste money trying on my own
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kcwitch(m): 3:33pm On Jul 14, 2019
Bourne007:
If you ask the agent for CoS and there's none then it's a fraud.

What's CoS?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 4:09pm On Jul 14, 2019
[quote author=ecstacy29 post=79680759][/quote]

Hi dear, my apologies for not responding to your direct mail but I prefer to remain anonymous. Also, it’s always better to post your questions here so that you will get diverse responses or perspectives. No vex.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 4:39pm On Jul 14, 2019
Divine88:

True talk my brother. Just commonsense. It is not only about saving but common sense.
A lot of folks here go for all these massive cars on PCP ooo not outright ownership despite working in mediocre jobs just to feel among. Why not cut your coat according to size.
Save reasonably and get yourself a car that will serve you and your family well.
Na wetin dey kill us for 9ja be this, showing off cars forgetting cars have massive depreciation and driving small cars with big efficient engines are the best ways to enjoy yourself in this country

I was initially against PCP and HP cars until someone made a valid point to me. He said “why should I buy a liability when I can just pay for it like I’m renting a house?!”

That’s when it hit me. No car is an asset. The moment you drive it out of the dealership, it has lost its value, so why then should I spend money buying a car that will only keep depreciating, When I can easily pay effortlessly every month for a new car and new perks..?
Why own something that will keep depreciating and you can’t change it until you’ve used it for maybe 5 years.

It’s no longer about status, I remember someone here saying something about how good it is to buy new cars because you get the best functionalities and you know the car won’t breakdown anytime soon.

For now I’ll still buy a small car to get my insurance right for a year or two, then start doing PCP.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:04pm On Jul 14, 2019
Realities on UK streets..........

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:05pm On Jul 14, 2019
Aphrodite007:

I was initially against PCP and HP cars until someone made a valid point to me. He said “why should I buy a liability when I can just pay for it like I’m renting a house?!”

That’s when it hit me. No car is an asset. The moment you drive it out of the dealership, it has lost its value, so why then should I spend money buying a car that will only keep depreciating, When I can easily pay effortlessly every month for a new car and new perks..?
Why own something that will keep depreciating and you can’t change it until you’ve used it for maybe 5 years.

It’s no longer about status, I remember someone here saying something about how good it is to buy new cars because you get the best functionalities and you know the car won’t breakdown anytime soon.

For now I’ll still buy a small car to get my insurance right for a year or two, then start doing PCP.

You don't even have to wait for your insurance status to normalise........

Some PCP offers fully comprehensive insurance included...... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 5:48pm On Jul 14, 2019
Aphrodite007:

[s]I was initially against PCP and HP cars until someone made a valid point to me. He said “why should I buy a liability when I can just pay for it like I’m renting a house?!”

It’s no longer about status, I remember someone here saying something about how good it is to buy new cars because you get the best functionalities and you know the car won’t breakdown anytime soon.[/s]

Re: bold text. That's my plan too. For a year or less.
Although my big eye is still making me look at Nice, (relatively-)New Cars smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gratefulme40: 9:11pm On Jul 14, 2019
Hi everyone. I need opinions here
So, I am currently on tier 2 and pregnant at the moment. I am seriously considering having my baby in the US for citizenship sake.

I know my baby will be admitted into the UK after birth with a US passport however, I know that you are only allowed to stay in the UK with a US passport for a maximum of 180days (3 months)
1. does this mean I have to take my baby to Nigeria before 180 days to apply for a dependant visa for him/her

Secondly, will my baby be entitled to NHS care while here in the UK with a US passport?? Or will the baby be considered a visitor, thus, not eligible to use the NHS??

I need answers please and possible links
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by buzibee: 10:24pm On Jul 14, 2019
Dear Nairalanders, trust everyone is doing well. I have read through the entire pages. I have a few questions and I will appreciate all the responses I can get.

I got a job with an accounting firm in London and they are currently processing our COS and subsequently our visas. We are looking to move sometime in October. I and my husband and our three year old son.

So here are my questions:

1. What are the best, cheapest and safest areas to live and raise a family also not too far from London Bridge?

2. I am concerned about childcare. Since our son will not be able to start school yet. What options are open to us?

3. What job options are available for my husband?He studied Computer Science but has been doing business for over 5 years now.

I will appreciate all the insight we can get from learned and experienced members of Nairaland. God bless you all.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:15pm On Jul 14, 2019
buzibee:
Dear Nairalanders, trust everyone is doing well. I have read through the entire pages. I have a few questions and I will appreciate all the responses I can get.

I got a job with an accounting firm in London and they are currently processing our COS and subsequently our visas. We are looking to move sometime in October. I and my husband and our three year old son.

1. What are the best, cheapest and safest areas to live and raise a family also not too far from London Bridge?

2. I am concerned about childcare. Since our son will not be able to start school yet. What options are open to us?

3. What job options are available for my husband?He studied Computer Science but has been doing business for over 5 years now.

I will appreciate all the insight we can get from learned and experienced members of Nairaland. God bless you all.

1 - Safest in London at the moment seems a pipe dream, London seems to be suffering from a knife/gun/gangs/ drugs/unprovoked killing spree........ Underground trains would take you to SE1, in under 20 minutes (within close proximity)..... Elephant & Castle, Bermondsey, Canning Town, Dagenham, Lambeth, Stratford, East Ham, Plaistow etc etc

2 - Childcare in the United Kingdom is not cheap, on a weekly basis, you could spend between £400/£600..... Options available to you, get a live in nanny, unregistered childminder (cheaper option) or husband stays at home temporarily, till you can figure out a workable solution........

3 - Husband can return to classroom, and brush up his skills. Has he ever worked in hardware/software related environments? His learned skills are probably outdated now.......

Make i drop my keyboard........ grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ecstacy29: 9:37am On Jul 15, 2019
Aphrodite007:

Hi dear, my apologies for not responding to your direct mail but I prefer to remain anonymous. Also, it’s always better to post your questions here so that you will get diverse responses or perspectives. No vex.
No worries, @wonlasewonimi already provided answers to my questions. Thanks all the same
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Healhtyliving: 5:03pm On Jul 15, 2019
buzibee:

Hello

I also got a job with an accounting frim in london. Looking to move in Dec. Can we connect?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by buzibee: 7:20pm On Jul 15, 2019
[quote author=Lexusgs430 post=80273088]

1 - Safest in London at the moment seems a pipe dream, London seems to be suffering from a knife/gun/gangs/ drugs/unprovoked killing spree........ Underground trains would take you to SE1, in under 20 minutes (within close proximity)..... Elephant & Castle, Bermondsey, Canning Town, Dagenham, Lambeth, Stratford, East Ham, Plaistow etc etc

2 - Childcare in the United Kingdom is not cheap, on a weekly basis, you could spend between £400/£600..... Options available to you, get a live in nanny, unregistered childminder (cheaper option) or husband stays at home temporarily, till you can figure out a workable solution........

3 - Husband can return to classroom, and brush up his skills. Has he ever worked in hardware/software related environments? His learned skills are probably outdated now.......

Make i drop my keyboard........ grin[/quote

Thanks a lot. This is so insightful.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by buzibee: 7:21pm On Jul 15, 2019
[quote author=Healhtyliving post=80294704][/quote]

Thanks definitely we can.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by veleta: 9:23pm On Jul 15, 2019
@Gratefulme40,you can apply for dependent visa in US once your baby gets his/her passport.Once the birth certificate is out,you should get both Nigerian and US passport then apply for dependent visa using priority service.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.