Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (191) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302209 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gratefulme40: 9:27pm On Jul 15, 2019
veleta:
@Gratefulme40,you can apply for dependent visa in US once your baby gets his/her passport.Once the birth certificate is out,you should get both Nigerian and US passport then apply for dependent visa using priority service.

Awww.... thank you for your response.
I didn’t know I could apply for a dependent visa for my baby from outside my home country (I.e Nigeria).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:31am On Jul 16, 2019
Was the sentencing Judge a Nigerian?.... tongue

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:50am On Jul 16, 2019
gratefulme40:

Awww.... thank you for your response.
I didn’t know I could apply for a dependent visa for my baby from outside my home country (I.e Nigeria).

A friend of mine came back with the baby and then applied within the UK for the visa. She was rejected that she cannot make an in country application. She didn't want to go Nigeria so she went back to USA and applied there and had to wait till it was out then came back to UK...... so doing it immediately after the baby is born is a more organised way of doing it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gratefulme40: 9:41am On Jul 16, 2019
LagosismyHome:

A friend of mine came back with the baby and then applied within the UK for the visa. She was rejected that she cannot make an in country application. She didn't want to go Nigeria so she went back to USA and applied there and had to wait till it was out then came back to UK...... so doing it immediately after the baby is born is a more organised way of doing it

Thank you
I wasn’t planning to apply within the UK because I know it will be refused.

I was wondering if I must go to Nigeria to apply, since it can be done in US, then that’s fine. Make I sha dey calculate account balance

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:53pm On Jul 16, 2019
spacyzuma:

Re: bold text. That's my plan too. For a year or less.
Although my big eye is still making me look at Nice, (relatively-)New Cars smiley

I swear! grin it’s so painful to see the mokka or CRV and close my eyes to it grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:56pm On Jul 16, 2019
Lexusgs430:

You don't even have to wait for your insurance status to normalise........

Some PCP offers fully comprehensive insurance included...... wink

Oga Lexus biko don’t tempt me. Allow me do my humble beginning in peace grin besides I want to be sure I have mastered these roads before I go and jamb my PCP and be hearing stories that can pain chest!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:09am On Jul 17, 2019
I have heard some financial experts describe PCP as the most wicked financing scheme available. It doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather have equity in the car.
Look at it this way. You must pay for the lost value of the car and then other costs including interest and profit for the provider. If a car is worth 20k and loses about 3k as soon as you drive out then that 3k will be passed to you and if it depreciates to 10k at the end of the contract, you would most likely have paid about 15k. The company can go ahead and sell the car for 10k and leave you with nothing, all your money gone like that. Not even deposit money for another car.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:19am On Jul 17, 2019
dustydee:
I have heard some financial experts describe PCP as the most wicked financing scheme available. It doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather have equity in the car.
Look at it this way. You must pay for the lost value of the car and then other costs including interest and profit for the provider. If a car is worth 20k and loses about 3k as soon as you drive out then that 3k will be passed to you and if it depreciates to 10k at the end of the contract, you would most likely have paid about 15k. The company can go ahead and sell the car for 10k and leave you with nothing, all your money gone like that. Not even deposit money for another car.

Lots of people are doing PCP route these days as it affords them the luxury of driving newer or better cars that they might not have been able to drive on a cash and carry system.... I personally stick to my budget and do cash and carry but i seen so many of naija friends doing PCP route

i think in both system, a car is a depreciating asset so you cannot win either way ........... So hey people then go through PCP route, its one life to live then enjoy it comfortably . But you are right once you start the PCP route you end up staying in that route for a long time because you cannot say let me sell this car and add to buy another .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:26am On Jul 17, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Lots of people are doing PCP route these days as it affords them the luxury of driving newer or better cars that they might not have been able to drive on a cash and carry system.... I personally stick to my budget and do cash and carry but i seen so many of naija friends doing PCP route

i think in both system, a car is a depreciating asset so you cannot win either way ........... So hey people then go through PCP route, its one life to live then enjoy it comfortably . But you are right once you start the PCP route you end up staying in that route for a long time because you cannot say let me sell this car and add to buy another .

Horses for courses.......... People should decide what plan works for them best..........

You could buy a banger, use it trouble-free for a few years...... But if you would rather drive a tear rubber... We only live once........

PCP or Banger........ Work out what works best for you.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:47am On Jul 17, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Horses for courses.......... People should decide what plan works for them best..........

You could buy a banger, use it trouble-free for a few years...... But if you would rather drive a tear rubber... We only live once........

PCP or Banger........ Work out what works best for you.......

Truly only one life, the money you spend on yourself is the one that is yours........... The one in the bank , o well . if you pass on then it was never yours
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by CowbellY: 11:22am On Jul 17, 2019
Inkredible:
I go disagree with una small. No be everybody wey buy expensive/ recent car wan impress you or tell you say him don arrive.

1: You no sabi how much him get o. So you can’t be really sure if he can or can’t afford it.

2: Big congested cities and Outskirts of towns no be same thing. One requires you must have a car to commute and the other, not so much. Bus service kuku dey sef. Referencing the scooter.

3: (my personal favourite cheesy) Yolo!! If you can afford Tesla model S as a first time car, unku/ aunti, goan buy eet. Me I go like private jet but I no go run go collect loan on top say I wan buy one. Get it?

So to you reading this and considering car to buy, goan buy what you can afford. Emphasis is on “afford”.

If you wantu pepper dem too, abeg pepper dem joor. Who am I to tell you otherwise? cheesy

Una dey well.

LOL. This is the naija mentality!

Pepper Dem!!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:18pm On Jul 17, 2019
CowbellY:

LOL. This is the naija mentality!

Pepper Dem!!!

Oya o. You got the attention you ordered. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2019
LagosismyHome:

As usual, I love you and your contributions, but this time you’ve got an incorrect perception. This is pcp not hp. People doing pcp don’t care about buying the car, they just want to drive it. After a while, when you’re tired (provided your credit score is good enough) you can change the car to the next latest car or less and pay more money or less respectively.

PCP is cheaper than HP with no MOTs or sometimes, no insurance premium included (most PCPs sef, you will never need to take the car to mechanic, the dealer with sort it for you). The only clause is, as far as you can keep up with the payments, don’t jamb the car and have a good credit rating, you’re good to go.

Also, As far as you live within your credit means, you’re good to go. The problem arises when you earn 1k monthly and your PCP is 5h grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by CowbellY: 8:06pm On Jul 17, 2019
Inkredible:

Oya o. You got the attention you ordered. grin

Ok.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:01pm On Jul 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

As usual, I love you and your contributions, but this time you’ve got an incorrect perception. This is pcp not hp. People doing pcp don’t care about buying the car, they just want to drive it. After a while, when you’re tired (provided your credit score is good enough) you can change the car to the next latest car or less and pay more money or less respectively.

PCP is cheaper than HP with no MOTs or sometimes, no insurance premium included (most PCPs sef, you will never need to take the car to mechanic, the dealer with sort it for you). The only clause is, as far as you can keep up with the payments, don’t jamb the car and have a good credit rating, you’re good to go.

As far as you live within your credit means, you’re good to go. The problem arises when you earn 1k monthly not your PCP is 5h grin

@bold .... ok if you say so. How did you sample that reason. If that the reason for you , where is the evidence that that is the reason behind all PCP cheesy grin and not just your own personal take. ...... the option of balloon payment shows some people do care about buying the car

Also A PCP is a form of hire purchase (HP) .... the fact that dealers are been clever in how things are packaged to sell doesnt mean its not from the same principle

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:16pm On Jul 17, 2019
LagosismyHome:

@bold .... ok if you say so. How did you sample that reason. If that the reason for you , where is the evidence that that is the reason behind all PCP cheesy grin and not just your own personal take. ...... the option of balloon payment shows some people do care about buying the car

Also A PCP is a form of hire purchase (HP) ....

Because it’s common sense.

For HP, you pay more monthly during the payment duration and this makes the car more affordable after paying for it for 3-4 years but PCP is always so cheaper monthly then so expensive to buy the car after 5 years.

After driving a car for 4-5 years, most people get bored and would want to change their car, also, statistics show that the cars break down after full making the final payment (after the 3-4 years of expensive HP monthly payments). So why don’t you just switch the car and start another PCP. You’re not bound by any rule to by at the end of the term.

Consider a TV set. Imagine doing HP for a 32 inch tv for 4 years, only for you to make the final payment and find out that theres a 50in with WiFi connection, alexa and Netflix that is now out? E go pain you wella!

Like I keep saying: credit is good if you’re smart about it, not when you’re doing it because you want to show off rather than the need to enjoy the latest functionalities.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:22pm On Jul 17, 2019
Aphrodite007:

Because it’s common sense.

For HP, you pay more monthly during the payment duration and this makes the car more affordable after paying for it for 3-4 years but PCP is always so cheaper monthly then so expensive to buy the car after 5 years.

After driving a car for 4-5 years, most people get bored and would want to change their car, also, statistics show that the cars break down after full making the final payment (after the 3-4 years of expensive HP monthly payments). So why don’t you just switch the car and start another PCP. You’re not bound by any rule to by at the end of the term.

Consider a TV set. Imagine doing HP for a 32 inch tv for 4 years, only for you to make the final payment and find out that theres a 50in with WiFi connection, alexa and Netflix that is now out? E go pain you wella!

Like I keep saying: credit is good if you’re smart about it, not when you’re doing it because you want to show off rather than the need to enjoy the latest functionalities.

So a car will just break down after....... cars break down after full making the final payment. grin . Evidence please

Some people buy used cars that are 10 years old and it never gives no trouble for 5 years and more ... My friend bought a brand new range rover and that car has been trouble here and there... either Hcp, PCP or cash buy buy a good performing car and it will ride well regardless of any payment schedule

If you want to do pcp that fine but what you just typed me too i dont agree

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 8:06am On Jul 18, 2019
LagosismyHome:

So a car will just break down after....... cars break down after full making the final payment. grin . Evidence please

Some people buy used cars that are 10 years old and it never gives no trouble for 5 years and more ... My friend bought a brand new range rover and that car has been trouble here and there... either Hcp, PCP or cash buy buy a good performing car and it will ride well regardless of any payment schedule

Lol first off, when you’re doing a PCP or HP, they still own the car so they maintain it very well for you (not so sure about HP though). But once you buy it, other than the fact that the car is now old and will tire from usage, it could be because most people don’t take it to the best mechanics to repair it and all.. why do you think those finances don’t go past 5 years? Cos the dealers know they are reaching a dangerous usage time. I work in insurance so I know about this.

Your argument about your friends brand new car breaking down further reiterates my point of a financed car Cos now baba has bought bad market.

What matters is that cars hardly breakdown during the financing period Cos they are maintained properly, hence the high rate of breakdowns after it is bought. If only 2 cars breakdown during financing and 4 breakdown after financing, shey it’s more than the 2? So we can say it’s high- welcome to my statistics class. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Hi guys I passed my driving lessons my second time on the 15th of July with two minors ( failed my first attempt on the 25th of june, cut the last corner to the test centre. Literally the last minute of the test).

I had 3 hrs Training in April then switched instructors and had 14hrs with my new instructor ( block booking savend me a few) before my first attempt and had just 2hrs a day before my second attempt plus 1hr on the test date. I also watched a lot of YouTube videos about driving mistakes, mock tests etc. About 100 hrs of YouTube. ( I know I am a YouTube addict)

Got my insurance today with admiralty ( not black box but similar, I get a device I plug into 12v power outlet for 6months and send it back to them) for roughly 1300.

Got my first car off a friend nissan note.

Things to note.

1 I got a 650-800 quotes when I was shopping for insurance with my provisional license, as I have had it for close to 2 years. But when I passed and was shopping for insurance I couldn't get anything below 1300..

2. Passing the test is just about being calm and relaxed, a few minors won't fail you. If you are on sure just wait and take your time to decide ( a lot of faults come from poor planning.

Good luck everyone.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 10:22pm On Jul 18, 2019
Congrats @ umarwy

Still amazed how many of you guys did just a couple of lessons to pass your tests

My cousins just passed after doing about 55 lessons plus a lot of family help!! Well over £2k just to get on the road!

When rasaki the danfo driver is around the corner to teach u everything in one day!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 10:46pm On Jul 18, 2019
cheesy
DisGuy:
Congrats @ umarwy

Still amazed how many of you guys did just a couple of lessons to pass your tests

My cousins just passed after doing about 55 lessons plus a lot of family help!! Well over £2k just to get on the road!

When rasaki the danfo driver is around the corner to teach u everything in one day!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 19, 2019
Fatima04 & house

Can you please advise if changing career to quantity surveying in the UK is a smart move? I am looking for something that can make me work independently as a contractor on a long run.

Please advise
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ebendo123(m): 10:11am On Jul 19, 2019
cool
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 10:21am On Jul 19, 2019
nomad26:
@STENON, I don't think it's serious enough for you to use an immigration lawyer for a visitor visa. I am on tier 2 and applied for my folks last year with virgin passport and they got their visas. I've also just applied for my mum and brother this year too.
If your parents are paying for their trip themselves, then either yourself or your aunt can invite them. If their trip is being sponsored, then let the person paying invite them. Important things to note:
1. Funds - plan their budget well and ensure whoever is paying for their trip isn't spending a large % of their income or savings on the trip.
2. Proof that they will return back home - do they have jobs/businesses/investments/dependents/etc - make sure you include evidence of these in their application.
3. Try to make sure there are no large deposits in any of the bank statements you're submitting. If there are, then make sure you explain the source of the money in a cover letter.
Also, read through the uk visitor visa thread https://www.nairaland.com/5233246/general-uk-visa-enquiries-part/27 There's a goldmine of useful information there. If you have specific questions, post it there so you can get more relevant responses.

I really appreciate this response. Thanks so much for taking your time to explicitly explain the process for me. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your day

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 10:40am On Jul 19, 2019
DaveChapelle:

Good idea...please takeur first application very seriously, if they deny it, it will always come up on future application. i would suggest you even use an immigration lawyer to make sure it is water tight....alsonote, Home office don't refund visa money....so you don't fund summer holiday for their staff....They have chop about 5 applications for my mum and brother....very painful
Hmm.. I will do as you have said. Thank you very much for your advice.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 10:41am On Jul 19, 2019
umarwy:
Hi guys I passed my driving lessons my second time on the 15th of July with two minors ( failed my first attempt on the 25th of june, cut the last corner to the test centre. Literally the last minute of the test).

I had 3 hrs Training in April then switched instructors and had 14hrs with my new instructor ( block booking savend me a few) before my first attempt and had just 2hrs a day before my second attempt plus 1hr on the test date. I also watched a lot of YouTube videos about driving mistakes, mock tests etc. About 100 hrs of YouTube. ( I know I am a YouTube addict)

Got my insurance today with admiralty ( not black box but similar, I get a device I plug into 12v power outlet for 6months and send it back to them) for roughly 1300.

Things to note.

1 I got a 650-800 quotes when I was shopping for insurance with my provisional license, as I have had it for close to 2 years. But when I passed and was shopping for insurance I couldn't get anything below 1300..

2. Passing the test is just about being calm and relaxed, a few minors won't fail you. If you are on sure just wait and take your time to decide ( a lot of faults come from poor planning.

Good luck everyone.
Just got my provisional driving licence,... Learning mode activated �

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 11:44am On Jul 19, 2019
STENON:
Just got my provisional driving licence,... Learning mode activated �

All the best. I used theory test pro. For my theory is cost 5 bucks I think

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:08pm On Jul 19, 2019
dustydee:

i think when people go to dealerships,they are mesmerized into making this transactions. Nobody wants to feel inadequate or look poor, especially proud British people. and the monthly payments appear reasonable. But when you look at it on the whole, it makes more sense. Anyway, in Nigeria where we come from, the concept of selling a used car is only just taking old.Inthe past we would just leave our cars to rot away in the backyard
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:19pm On Jul 19, 2019
LagosismyHome:

well most new cars come with 3yr warranties which is when most of the breakable parts or electronics start falling apart
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 1:33pm On Jul 19, 2019
umarwy:

All the best. I used theory test pro. For my theory is cost 5 bucks I think
I am using DVLA application, paid 4.79 and combining with many YouTube videos

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:33pm On Jul 19, 2019
umarwy:

Things to note.

Good luck everyone.

Congrats dear.

Shame will not allow me to share why me I failed my own test, so I will just revel in yours. Congrats again

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.