Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (335) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1304264 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by pitman10: 8:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
Tobexin:
i saw your mail. I will find time to reply it tomorrow. I have been very busy lately.

Ok thank you as I await your response.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 8:52pm On Jun 17, 2020
omopapa:
E be like sey home office done do me 419 shocked

I called the home office covid-19 immigration support team to ask if I have to pay the IHS because I’m a front line NHS staff. They said I shld pay but apply for a refund. They gave me email address to contact to get a refund after payment. I made the payment and sent this email with all my details and application number about 2 weeks ago.

I got a reply today saying:

Thank you for contacting the UKVI NHS Team.

On 21 May, it was announced that the Home Secretary and the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care were to work together to exempt NHS and health and care staff from the Immigration Health Surcharge.

Officials in the Home Office and the Department of Health and Social Care are working through how to implement this change and full details will be announced in due course.

In respect of employees that work in this sector, the Immigration Health Surcharge will continue to apply until such time as an exemption is in place.

Please continue to check the GOV.UK webpages, as this is where updated advice will be published. The latest information and advice can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents

Kind Regards,

UKVI NHS Team

For their mind now,covid-19 don finish abi? ndi mgbu
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
omopapa:
E be like sey home office done do me 419 shocked

I called the home office covid-19 immigration support team to ask if I have to pay the IHS because I’m a front line NHS staff. They said I shld pay but apply for a refund. They gave me email address to contact to get a refund after payment. I made the payment and sent this email with all my details and application number about 2 weeks ago.

I got a reply today saying:

Thank you for contacting the UKVI NHS Team.

On 21 May, it was announced that the Home Secretary and the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care were to work together to exempt NHS and health and care staff from the Immigration Health Surcharge.

Officials in the Home Office and the Department of Health and Social Care are working through how to implement this change and full details will be announced in due course.

In respect of employees that work in this sector, the Immigration Health Surcharge will continue to apply until such time as an exemption is in place.

Please continue to check the GOV.UK webpages, as this is where updated advice will be published. The latest information and advice can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents

Kind Regards,

UKVI NHS Team

Lol UK UK grin. Not surprised though. Thought you should get automatic extension without applying for visa though
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:07pm On Jun 17, 2020
@spacyzuma try confused.com, from experience they usually have cheaper insurance providers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 10:56pm On Jun 17, 2020
They said it’s automatic online but in reality na diff story

fatima04:

Lol UK UK grin. Not surprised though. Thought you should get automatic extension without applying for visa though
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 12:28am On Jun 18, 2020
fatima04:

It is. Your employer will contact you if you are eligible for the extension. You then send off your old brp for them to change. They ve had mine now for 6 weeks. Lucky that airports are still closed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:13am On Jun 18, 2020
umarwy:

I did my passport before lockdown though.

I will post update when/if the fine comes in

There’s a loophole in the law that requires them to send the fine to you within a certain no of days if not you can dispute it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:31am On Jun 18, 2020
LagosismyHome:

30,000 naira when you remove RENT, food , transport. Clothes , household things ...how can you possibly save. Are you sure of that statement

They are able to live comfortably because 30k is just the basic, the rest comes in the form of bribe and extortion.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 11:31am On Jun 18, 2020
Tobexin:
always try to get your quote through phone calls. It way cheaper than using the website tool. I make use of Adrian flux brokers. They give best quotes. Try give them a call! Let me know the quote they will give you afterwards.

I checked their site, put in my details, they called me, gave me an unacceptable offer that I refused. So they switched me to another company.
The other company took all my details, and gave me an even worse offer, which I rejected. Then they connected me to a 3rd company.
The same thing happened again.

I was on the phone for 45 minutes, was routed 4 times to 3 different companies. And none of them gave me a quote that was less than £1000. One even quoted £1700 grin

SOmeone told me to try elephant, a cheap insurance company that operates under Admiral. I called them today and their offer is still above £1000.

fatima04:
@spacyzuma try confused.com, from experience they usually have cheaper insurance providers
I think USwitch uses Confused.com. The cheapest offer they offered as at Tuesday was above 900. But I just did it again with modified data and got one below £800.

omopapa:
@bolded Check confused.com cheesy

Call same admiral and tell them you want your NCB that you are leaving as you got a better offer with another company. They will most likely ask you how much offer you got. Tell them you got £550 of £600 and ask them if they can match it.

Your post code, model of car, your age (over 25s are seen as lower risk than u25s, additional driver (try to add an experience driver without any claims in the last 5 years), NCB and your profession are determinants of car insurance quote.

Tweaking your job title can also help.

Thanks. I'll just call Admiral and try to reduce their offer below £800.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JOETITUS(m): 5:35pm On Jun 18, 2020
If one gets a job offer in UK and one does not have IELTS certificate, please are there other options in other to get a tier 2 visa even without IELTS certificate?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 5:36pm On Jun 18, 2020
marylandcakes:

There’s a loophole in the law that requires them to send the fine to you within a certain no of days if not you can dispute it.

Ok thanks boss, I will update you guys if I ever receive a fine
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:47pm On Jun 18, 2020
RalphJean:

This is the same guy ohhh in 2019.

He must have received 10 years ban for lying on his application
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 6:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
JOETITUS:
If one gets a job offer in UK and one does not have IELTS certificate, please are there other options in other to get a tier 2 visa even without IELTS certificate?

IELTS is not a ‘certificate’. It’s an English Language competency test.

Are you simply trying to conjure up possible scenarios or you actually do know someone who got offered a Tier-4 eligible job but is someone so scared of writing IELTS that the person is looking for an alternative?

Please, do not make us waste our time trying to answer assumptions. If however it’s a true situation, then I would ask:
What does /did the EMPLOYER request for?
I will then go on to say: Type this Your exact question in an email and send to the employer. Whatever the employer replies, please come back to this thread and help educate us, and others.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JOETITUS(m): 7:49pm On Jun 18, 2020
RalphJean:

IELTS is not a ‘certificate’. It’s an English Language competency test.

Are you simply trying to conjure up possible scenarios or you actually do know someone who got offered a Tier-4 eligible job but is someone so scared of writing IELTS that the person is looking for an alternative?

Please, do not make us waste our time trying to answer assumptions. If however it’s a true situation, then I would ask:
What does /did the EMPLOYER request for?
I will then go on to say: Type this Your exact question in an email and send to the employer. Whatever the employer replies, please come back to this thread and help educate us, and others.

The person got a job offer in May from UK, he is resuming July 27, but due to the pandemic,he is uncertain about the time frame. That's the reason I decided to ask if there are alternatives
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:35pm On Jun 18, 2020
JOETITUS:

Apply for UK Naric

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Gundi: 2:12am On Jun 19, 2020
JOETITUS:
The person got a job offer in May from UK, he is resuming July 27, but due to the pandemic,he is uncertain about the time frame. That's the reason I decided to ask if there are alternatives

Well-done boss, please what industry/field did he get the employment offer, and was it through normal job sites he applied and got the job?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JOETITUS(m): 2:30am On Jun 19, 2020
Gundi:

Well-done boss, please what industry/field did he get the employment offer, and was it through normal job sites he applied and got the job?
Engineering (Electrical maintenance), through one of India's major recruitment site.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JOETITUS(m): 2:33am On Jun 19, 2020
fatima04:

Apply for UK Naric
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 6:04am On Jun 19, 2020
JOETITUS:
Use UK NARIC
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:07am On Jun 19, 2020
JOETITUS:

Did the person’s employer mention English proficiency requirement?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JOETITUS(m): 9:44am On Jun 19, 2020
RalphJean:

Did the person’s employer mention English proficiency requirement?
it's the VFS global representative that asked for it.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by elisinho(m): 8:27pm On Jun 19, 2020
Hello @ tray2
I wanted to ask you which did you do first
Naric before you applied for hcpc or the latter thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by awardeez: 1:50am On Jun 20, 2020
Dexter07:
Top of the day Friends, URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLS

I have just done an online application to the Nigerian high commision for renewal of my passport.
I saw one is no longer allowed to book appointments but advised to strictly attend the date provided on the payment receipt

I applied on 14th June and was given a date on the 22nd June.
I have never been there before, Moreso I am not familiar with London.

Can one call them to defer this date? What is the most convenient way to travel to london from West midlands ..Train or drive ?, I would actually prefer driving because of the COVID pandemic but I have heard a lot about driving in London, What about car park?
What time is best to arrive at the embassy?

Thanks

Hi boss,

Incidentally I’m in the same shoes I’ve tried calling them without of success and I’ve been booked for an appointment for 23rd June.

I’m having to come from Scotland and worried that I might waste time and money.

Can you pls dm me. Would like to know your experience.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Dexter07: 2:24am On Jun 20, 2020
Hi Awardeez, I have not bothered to call them yet..maybe cos i still have time relatively as my passport still valid till March
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:14am On Jun 20, 2020
Dexter07:
Top of the day Friends, URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLS

I have just done an online application to the Nigerian high commision for renewal of my passport.
I saw one is no longer allowed to book appointments but advised to strictly attend the date provided on the payment receipt

I applied on 14th June and was given a date on the 22nd June.
I have never been there before, Moreso I am not familiar with London.

Can one call them to defer this date? What is the most convenient way to travel to london from West midlands ..Train or drive ?, I would actually prefer driving because of the COVID pandemic but I have heard a lot about driving in London, What about car park?
What time is best to arrive at the embassy?

Thanks

Are they open? ...... I doubt that as they were the first to close even before lockdown was officially put in UK (lazy people grin, ). I went to their website and it states they are not yet open (last paragraph) .

Do you have someone in london who can go there and check if they are open before coming from the Midlands

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 6:01am On Jun 20, 2020
awardeez:

Hi boss,

Incidentally I’m in the same shoes I’ve tried calling them without of success and I’ve been booked for an appointment for 23rd June.

I’m having to come from Scotland and worried that I might waste time and money.

Can you pls dm me. Would like to know your experience.

Thanks

Awardees,

Same here, have the appointment in the 26th and coming from Scotland.

Please let me know how it goes.

Deept
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by veleta: 10:19am On Jun 20, 2020
Nigerian High Commission London isn't working yet, someone went there 3 days ago and its still under lock and key.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phenmeson(m): 10:48am On Jun 20, 2020
veleta:
Nigerian High Commission London isn't working yet, someone went there 3 days ago and its still under lock and key.

Am still wondering how they will keep social distancing in Nigerian embassy once the lockdown is over. The queue go even reach Westminster Bridge

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by gsk4reality: 2:35pm On Jun 20, 2020
Hello
Is it allowed to do cash in hand jobs as a student?
Are there cash in hand jobs in Sheffield?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
gsk4reality:
Hello
Is it allowed to do cash in hand jobs as a student?
Are there cash in hand jobs in Sheffield?

Cash in hand jobs are usually for illegal immigrants who doesn't have paper to get proper job, as a student why would you want to do cash in hand job?

Any company that offers you cash in hand job will definitely under pay you while you over worked.

Definitely not a good idea.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 7:09pm On Jun 20, 2020
elisinho:
Hello @ tray2
I wanted to ask you which did you do first
Naric before you applied for hcpc or the latter thanks
I had my HCPC first, you will use ur hcpc to apply for jobs. Then Naric is for travelling

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by elisinho(m): 11:50am On Jun 21, 2020
TRAY2:
I had my HCPC first, you will use ur hcpc to apply for jobs. Then Naric is for travelling

Thanks for the response
I have some small questions about hcpc if it's okay with you

(1) (2) (3) ... (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.