Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,576 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (341) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1311627 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by prettytasha(f): 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2020
mimilyrics:
Try Ace Money Transfer.
thank you , how is thier customer service response like ? Incase of any issue ? And how fast is the transfer ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 4:51pm On Jul 10, 2020
I have not had issues with them so I've not had to use their customer service. Transfer is usually within 10-20 minutes.
The one I used prior to Ace was SendWave and their customer care was great but Ace's rates are better.
prettytasha:
thank you , how is thier customer service response like ? Incase of any issue ? And how fast is the transfer ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by prettytasha(f): 5:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
mimilyrics:
I have not had issues with them so I've not had to use their customer service. Transfer is usually within 10-20 minutes.
The one I used prior to Ace was SendWave and their customer care was great but Ace's rates are better.
thank you so much .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by markovnikov(m): 5:30pm On Jul 10, 2020
famzynet:

Dentists are needed in the UK but the exam pathway (ORE) to get licenced is very expensive when compared to other medical fields. Maybe because dentists earn very high over there. Nursing and going for masters still remain the highest means to travel. If you have the cash,you can consider 2 years masters in nursing in the UK. But I guess the tuition fee may be higher than the cost for the required dentistry exams.

Thanks for the reply Chief..so i can hope that dentist would be on the sol soon .. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nonso6912: 5:49pm On Jul 10, 2020
missjekyll:

Yea the bloke just got into the uk this afternoon. he used a waiver. it depends on how desperately your employers need you. If it's the NHS,I dont see them sending a special flight for anybody. Annoying

Thanks.

It's the NHS.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
missjekyll:

Yea the bloke just got into the uk this afternoon. he used a waiver. it depends on how desperately your employers need you. If it's the NHS,I dont see them sending a special flight for anybody. Annoying
Just saw this:
https://www.channelstv.com/2020/07/10/immigration-blocks-58-nigerian-doctors-from-leaving-for-the-uk/?fbclid=IwAR2wFNOksrDEcVKcLq5hvOOaXUWBo_bUIi6QOw5VRpR_u9TavoBbseqcEwY
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 11:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
Hello house, please I need help with credit card. So I have been in the UK for about one year now and I have been using Hsbc.

Each time I apply for a basic credit card with them, it keeps been rejected stating my credit record. The strange thing is I have never owned a credit card and I have tangible savings.

I have tried to do a credit check with Experian but they seem to have no record.

Is there a way I can get a credit card or fix this issue going on? I want to work on my credit score in preparation for when I decide on getting a mortgage soon.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by markovnikov(m): 11:23pm On Jul 10, 2020
Lexusgs430:

When you mentioned ' Destructive & Constructive'........ My gum bled a little....

You made people on this thread, sound like jackals.... Awaiting to devour any prey running around aimlessly.......

RJ, is probably the only jackal we have here........ grin

cheesy cheesy...Chief, i don't see it that way..infact i do appreciate everyone's input on this thread..yours inclusive especially on the uk nursing thread...we might meet one day o...u neva can tell wink...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 12:06am On Jul 11, 2020
Braket:
Hello house, please I need help with credit card. So I have been in the UK for about one year now and I have been using Hsbc.

Each time I apply for a basic credit card with them, it keeps been rejected stating my credit record. The strange thing is I have never owned a credit card and I have tangible savings.

I have tried to do a credit check with Experian but they seem to have no record.

Is there a way I can get a credit card or fix this issue going on? I want to work on my credit score in preparation for when I decide on getting a mortgage soon.

Get a contract sum/phone

Register to vote

Get a direct debit bill on your account.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:03am On Jul 11, 2020
Braket:

Try to avoid excessive credit applications, it leaves a tick on your record and may look desperate......

Have you bought anything on credit? If no, how can they trust you...... You get the drift.........

If you drive, take out a small car finance loan..... If you buy from argos, avail yourself of argos in store credit facilities etc etc etc

Be careful with credit cards, it's a very easy route to debt jail and eventual sentencing, with no parole option........... cheesy

Don't view a credit card as a credit card, but a debt card.......... wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 9:05am On Jul 11, 2020
Funny enough, I sort of have all of these.

I have a gym contract for over a year now,
I recently just signed a mobile internet contract and also registered to vote. My name is on the voting register now.

The payment for these contracts are direct debit bill. So I seem not to understand where the problem is.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by segun688: 9:17am On Jul 11, 2020
Braket:

I recently just signed a mobile internet contract and also registered to vote. My name is on the voting register now.

The payment for these contracts are direct debit bill. So I seem not to understand where the problem is.

You need to take a break from applying for credit cards for at least 3 months. Otherwise you will keep getting rejected. Also register on platforms such as "moneysupermarket " These platforms allow you check for credit cards which will show you the ones you most likely get approved for before applying. Finally, apply for store credits such as pc world etc, then pay that off very quickly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 10:51am On Jul 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Try to avoid excessive credit applications, it leaves a tick on your record and may sound desperate......

Have you bought anything on credit? If no, how can they trust you...... You get the drift.........

If you drive, take out a small car finance loan..... If you buy from argos, avail yourself of argos in store credit facilities etc etc etc

Be careful with credit cards, it's a very easy route to debt jail and eventual sentencing, with no parole option........... cheesy

Don't view a credit card as a credit card, but a debt card.......... wink
Thank you daddy. I actually don't need the credit card. I just need it to build credit score for mortgage.

I need to get buying something on credit right. Having a mobile internet contract isn't credit?

90% of the gadgets I buy is through Amazon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 10:55am On Jul 11, 2020
segun688:

You need to take a break from applying for credit cards for at least 3 months. Otherwise you will keep getting rejected. Also register on platforms such as "moneysupermarket " These platforms allow you check for credit cards which will show you the ones you most likely get approved for before applying. Finally, apply for store credits such as pc world etc, then pay that off very quickly
I often wait 3 months or thereabout before reapplying but the result is still the same.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:58pm On Jul 11, 2020
Braket:

Thank you daddy. I actually don't need the credit card. I just need it to build credit score for mortgage.

I need to get buying something on credit right. Having a mobile internet contract isn't credit?

90% of the gadgets I buy is through Amazon.

Where you see Daddy...... grin I know pickins wey I born...... wink

Rather than Amazon, take a trip to Dixons........ Use in store credit facilities..........

Or use ebay, but apply for PayPal credit.......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:07pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Rather than Amazon, take a trip to Dixons........ Use in store credit facilities..........

Whats good about their credit card? They have being bugging me to take one
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:34pm On Jul 11, 2020
justwise:

Whats good about their credit card? They have being bugging me to take one

Extra cash flow, but you don't receive a physical credit card (just spending limit)......

Any retailer that accepts PayPal, just log in and pay.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by remi1444: 2:09pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Extra cash flow, but you don't receive a physical credit card (just spending limit)......

I go like go this UK, Daddy next time you want to travel, I'm following you. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:13pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Ok but i don't want, let me earn it to spend it.

I use PayPal a lot and link almost all my online payment through them but i'm not getting their credit card only if they offer some juicy cash-back
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2020
remi1444:
I go like go this UK, Daddy next time you want to travel, I'm following you. grin

I know the number of pickins wey I born.......... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:16pm On Jul 11, 2020
justwise:

Ok but i don't want, let me earn it to spend it.

I use PayPal a lot and link almost all my online payment through them but i'm not getting their credit card only if they offer some juicy cash-back

Is 0% interest offer, juicy enough.......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 4:21pm On Jul 11, 2020
You can try aqua they seem to offer a credit building card to help build credit record...but bros, use it as a debit card oooo

Braket:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2020
beryour:
You can try aqua they seem to offer a credit building card to help build credit record...but bros, use it as a debit card oooo

Did you mean to type debt card, but typed debit card........ wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Where you see Daddy...... grin I know pickins wey I born...... wink

If I get you right daddy wa, I should buy gadgets on credit and spread the payment?
Won't they have to check my credit credibility before approving that?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 6:55pm On Jul 11, 2020
beryour:

I will check my eligibility with them. Hopefully it works?

I didn't pass the eligibility with Halifax last month. Does it matter if I try this now or I should do it sometimes in the future.

I am actually living way fine without a credit facility but this economy and credit score is the reason why I'm applying for one.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:56pm On Jul 11, 2020
Braket:

If I get you right daddy wa, I should buy gadgets on credit and spread the payment?
Won't they have to check my credit credibility before approving that?

Take yà time ó...... No let my pickins read this Daddy situations, before then begin think say Daddy is playing away matches.......... grin

Store credits are usually easier to get........ Buy on credit, if 0% interest, spread and pay accordingly, no worries.......

If higher interest, pay minimum for about 3 months, then clear balance on 4th payment......... cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2020
Braket:

I didn't pass the eligibility with Halifax last month. Does it matter if I try this now or I should do it sometimes in the future.

I am actually living way fine without a credit facility but this economy and credit score is the reason why I'm applying for one.

This is a credit based economy, turning e-money, into real cash collections........... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 7:38pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Take yà time ó...... No let my pickins read this Daddy situations, before then begin think say Daddy is playing away matches.......... grin

Store credits are usually easier to get........ Buy on credit, if 0% interest, spread and pay accordingly, no worries.......

If higher interest, pay minimum for about 3 months, then clear balance on 4th payment......... cool
Thank you for the information
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Endlessgrace: 8:39pm On Jul 11, 2020
Braket:

I was in your situation few years ago when i got here. Mortgage was my goal but i needed to build my credit score to achieve that. I registered with ClearScore and they gave me tips on how to grow my score, my first credit building card was pre-approved on ClearScore. With a credit limit of £200 i started my journey.
Tips:
* register on a free credit score app
* apply only for pre-approved credit cards
* if you use your card wisely, you could end up not paying interest (that worked for me)
* avoid close-spaced hard searches.
You already said you are registered on electoral roll so that’s great. It might take up to four months before it reflects on your score though. All the best

3 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 9:18pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

cheesy cheesy Fear dey catch somebody..�� grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Braket: 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2020
Endlessgrace:

I was in your situation few years ago when i got here. Mortgage was my goal but i needed to build my credit score to achieve that. I registered with ClearScore and they gave me tips on how to grow my score, my first credit building card was pre-approved on ClearScore. With a credit limit of £200 i started my journey.
Tips:
* register on a free credit score app
* apply only for pre-approved credit cards
* if you use your card wisely, you could end up not paying interest (that worked for me)
* avoid close-spaced hard searches.
You already said you are registered on electoral roll so that’s great. It might take up to four months before it reflects on your score though. All the best
Than you for this tip.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:39pm On Jul 11, 2020
STENON:
cheesy cheesy Fear dey catch somebody..�� grin

Who no go fear.......... cheesy

Pickins popping out from all angles......... wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.