Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,517 members, 7,816,252 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (339) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306449 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 1:47pm On Jul 04, 2020
For the entrepreneural visa, a reference letter from the friend (in addition to a uni or approved body endorsement) is only helpful if they would be in business together.
For the Global talent route, not knowing whether the friend was qualified was exactly why I further explained that not just a friend could do it but someone who had attained the standards specified for such and your response to that buttressed what I said hence asking "what was different in what I said and what you typed". Your initial comment came off as "any" friend could do it as long as the said friend was resident in the UK - this was a misleading statement. Also for tech nation, documents/research submitted must have been evaluated by a research supervisor or an expert, not a friend- Did the friend do this evaluation in official capacity?
For the friend to be comfortable writing a reference didn't mean he could except he meets certain conditions for the exceptional talent route.
Being able to get away with certain things that isn't doesn't mean it should be done. What A could get away with misrepresentation or exploiting the laws, B might not be able to get away with it because the VO might have caught on to it.
Whatever I type here isn't a result of self interpretation but as a result of legal interpretation and on real life situations which I've been privy to over the past years up with the most recent being shortly before Covid-19.
I understand that there are exceptions/discretionary provisions within the law (I've learnt to refrain from citing exceptions after few people translated it as being the norm) but those exceptions shouldn't be made out to be the norm.
Information required for these routes is out there, if anyone twists it to suit their situation, then the result will be on them.
At this point, I rest my case.

dustydee:

Please show me where I said that. He said he had known him for many years and for him to be willing to write a reference for him then he (the friend) must be comfortable with their relationship. Now he did not give any more details apart from what he wrote their so whether he is qualified to apply for the scheme or not is left for him to determine.
The requirement said EMINENT person resident in the UK and not eminent person in research. How do you determine if his friend is eminent or not? Except of course if you know his friend.
Also, if you look at the Tech nation requirement, it is not a criteria.
All in all, in the UK if you have the ability to read between the lines, you can get away with many things. Often times we try to add ou own interpretations which may be reasonable but not necessarily the law. I am saying this because I am a victim of self interpretation and it has cost me money and additional time that I did not plan for when I should have just gone ahead to do what I had to do.
Enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Endlessgrace: 1:55pm On Jul 04, 2020
Hello house, please i need some insights to Jersey tourism. My cousin who is based in Nigeria but has a valid UK visa plans to travel to Jersey next year for two weeks. Does she need to apply for Jersey visa from Nigeria? Or does her UK visa suffice if she travels through UK as both countries share common travel area.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 2:08pm On Jul 04, 2020
mimilyrics:
For the entrepreneural visa, a reference letter from the friend (in addition to a uni or approved body endorsement) is only helpful if they would be in business together.
For the Global talent route, not knowing whether the friend was qualified was exactly why I further explained that not just a friend could do it but someone who had attained the standards specified for such and your response to that buttressed what I said hence asking "what was different in what I said and what you typed". Your initial comment came off as "any" friend could do it as long as the said friend was resident in the UK - this was a misleading statement.
For the friend to be comfortable writing a reference didn't mean he could except he meets certain conditions for the exceptional talent route.
Being able to get away with certain things that isn't doesn't mean it should be done. What A could get away with misrepresentation or exploiting the laws, B might not be able to get away with it because the VO might have caught on to it.
Whatever I type here isn't a result of self interpretation but as a result of legal interpretation and on real life situations which I've been privy to over the past years up with the most recent being shortly before Covid-19.
I understand that there are exceptions to the law (I've learnt to refrain from citing exceptions after few people translated it as being the norm) but those exceptions shouldn't be made out to be the norm.
At this point, I rest my case.

Please do not read meanings into my post here. I have not mentioned or implied misrepresentation and I do not condone or advocate that. I was speaking to adhering to or considering the TEXT of the rules set out rather than individual interpretations. The rules do not often times cover all situations and so what I was trying to say is to test them if you are up to it. You will NOT be penalised for misrepresentation if it is not misrepresentation. I was in a similar situation which was not in any rule or guidance and rather than take the risk, I chose the easy way out and in hindsight I should have and I am confident I would have been successful.
You will not believe the number of rules that have failed to stand legal scrutiny in this country.
So to reiterate, if is not clearly or implicitly disallowed, never say never. Misrepresentation of any kind, as clearly stated in the guidance, is an offence.

*And by the way I went through the process some years ago(unsuccessfully).
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2020
Lol! Not reading meanings into your post but had to clarify because other people can. I only explained what type of friend can give that before people start using friends who aren't experts or their research supervisors.

So sad to read about you being unsuccessful on the route. Hope you're generally in a better place now. I pray for success in your future endeavors.
Enjoy your weekend!
dustydee:

Please do not read meanings into my post here. I have not mentioned or implied misrepresentation and I do not condone or advocate that. I was speaking to adhering to or considering the TEXT of the rules set out rather than individual interpretations. The rules do not often times cover all situations and so what I was trying to say is to test them if you are up to it. You will NOT be penalised for misrepresentation if it is not misrepresentation. I was in a similar situation which was not in any rule or guidance and rather than take the risk, I chose the easy way out and in hindsight I should have and I am confident I would have been successful.
You will not believe the number of rules that have failed to stand legal scrutiny in this country.
So to reiterate, if is not clearly or implicitly disallowed, never say never. Misrepresentation of any kind, as clearly stated in the guidance, is an offence.

*And by the way I went through the process some years ago(unsuccessfully).
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2020
mimilyrics:
Lol! Not reading meanings into your post but had to clarify because other people can. I only explained what type of friend can give that before people start using friends who aren't experts or their research supervisors.

So sad to read about you being unsuccessful on the route. Hope you're generally in a better place now. I pray for success in your future endeavors.
Enjoy your weekend!
I was being Penny wise pound foolish because that route was a cheaper option for me. I didn't get a decision on my endorsement until the day I got approved under a different path which I had to apply for as I was tired of waiting. The visa officer mentioned I had a pending application and will be refunded for that since it has not been completed but before I got to my car, I saw the mail saying no endorsement. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 4:20pm On Jul 04, 2020
sad sad sad
dustydee:

I was being Penny wise pound foolish because that route was a cheaper option for me. I didn't get a decision on my endorsement until the day I got approved under a different path which I had to apply for as I was tired of waiting. The visa officer mentioned I had a pending application and will be refunded for that since it has not been completed but before I got to my car, I saw the mail saying no endorsement. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Teepp10: 10:43am On Jul 06, 2020
Bourne007:
Child benefit is public funds

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-move-to-uk

Thank you so much
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Teepp10: 10:43am On Jul 06, 2020
gratefulme40:

Leave those money alone ooo. A colleague collected it and when she applied for visa renewal, she was asked for proof that she refunded the money. Leave advisers oooo and face your hustle biko
Thank you o�
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Luvdmx(m): 11:55am On Jul 06, 2020
Teepp10:

Thank you so much

You can claim child benefit as a couple if your partner is British as joined but it's safer not to if you're not sure
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:58pm On Jul 06, 2020
Luvdmx:

You can claim child benefit as a couple if your partner is British as joined but it's safer not to if you're not sure

He is on Tier 2 so highly unlikely that the partner is british . If not why not on spouse Visa
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 1:24pm On Jul 06, 2020
They can't claim as a couple. If the wife's visa says "no recourse to public funds", only the British husband can. As long as you don't have British citizenship or ILR, you are not eligible to claim benefits jointly or not.
Luvdmx:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hunnybee: 1:27pm On Jul 06, 2020
Please I’d like to get some stuff sent to me in the UK from Nigeria. Tried DHL and the quote i got was quite much. Does anyone know any other places to look please? Would very much appreciate the help
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 1:35pm On Jul 06, 2020
Search for Centrepoint Cargo, London on google to get their contact and rates. Last time I used them, I paid N700/kg but not sure what their rates are now. I used them between 2017 and 2019 and they delivered from between 5 -14 days.
You can also use Google to search for others to compare rates
Hunnybee:
Please I’d like to get some stuff sent to me in the UK from Nigeria. Tried DHL and the quote i got was quite much. Does anyone know any other places to look please? Would very much appreciate the help

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hunnybee: 1:45pm On Jul 06, 2020
Looked them up, still N700 per kg. thanks a lot

mimilyrics:
Search for Centrepoint Cargo, London on google to get their contact and rates. Last time I used them, I paid N700/kg but not sure what their rates are now. I used them between 2017 and 2019 and they delivered from between 5 -14 days.
You can also use Google to search for others to compare rates

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 5:25pm On Jul 06, 2020
popegirl:
Hello guys

Please I live in London and planning to move outside london (trying to cut cost )

Between Gravesend, gillingham or Chatham which area is better and affordable. Looking for a 2 bedroom house between £700-£800 , I also need agents contact if you have any.

Thank you

Not Gillingham, it very rough.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Luvdmx(m): 10:23pm On Jul 06, 2020
LagosismyHome:

He is on Tier 2 so highly unlikely that the partner is british . If not why not on spouse Visa

You re absolutely right. I thought he was on spouse visa,
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Luvdmx(m): 10:29pm On Jul 06, 2020
mimilyrics:
They can't claim as a couple. If the wife's visa says "no recourse to public funds", only the British husband can. As long as you don't have British citizenship or ILR, you are not eligible to claim benefits jointly or not.

They're eligible to claim as joint partners if one of them have British citizenship in certain circumstances but the person in question here is very unlikely due to the fact that he's on tie 2 visa not spouse visa.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 10:59pm On Jul 06, 2020
Okay. Do it and face the consequences. I rest my case.
Luvdmx:

They're eligible to claim as joint partners if one of them have British citizenship in certain circumstances but the person in question here is very unlikely due to the fact that he's on tie 2 visa not spouse visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:16pm On Jul 06, 2020
Luvdmx:

So let me word it differently for you .... as a couple the british can claim anything . When it get into his or her account then you can spend the money jointly .....

But in the actual application then only a british person can apply . So for example for child benefit. It very simple, the british should be the one to apply
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 11:17pm On Jul 06, 2020
Thank you for this. Hopefully people will heed advice and not fall into problems for claiming benefits when they are not legally allowed to.
LagosismyHome:

So let me word it differently for you .... as a couple the british can claim anything . When it get into his or her account then you can spend the money jointly .....

But in the actual application then only a british person can apply . So for example for child benefit. It very simple, the british should be the one to apply
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Luvdmx(m): 11:57pm On Jul 06, 2020
LagosismyHome:

You're right the actual application is made by the British partner,

My point is, for example if they're earning below the threshold, and if British partner can get say £150 on tax credit, if he/she includes the non eu name in the claim form(couples) he's very likely to get up to £250. It's legitimate as long as they're both couples
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phayie(m): 9:08pm On Jul 07, 2020
Please does this mean

*Visitors in the UK can get citizenship*

If you are or know anyone currently in the UK as a visitor or with leave of up to 6 months, the amended UK Immigration rules due to COVID-19 now allows for one to switch into a family or private life route provided the requirements of the Immigration Rules are met.

The application must be done by 30 July 2020 to the latest.

Switching from a visit visa to Family route may lead to British Citizenship

Click here for details on UK government website https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:13pm On Jul 07, 2020
Phayie:
Please does this mean

If you are or know anyone currently in the UK as a visitor or with leave of up to 6 months, the amended UK Immigration rules due to COVID-19 now allows for one to switch into a family or private life route provided the requirements of the Immigration Rules are met.

Click here for details on UK government website https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

You did not read that link very well
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phayie(m): 9:27pm On Jul 07, 2020
I read it but I don't quite understand because it's not stated the type of Visa the family must possess before one could apply for it

justwise:

You did not read that link very well
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:20pm On Jul 07, 2020
Phayie:
I read it but I don't quite understand because it's not stated the type of Visa the family must possess before one could apply for it

Family visa is for those applying to join..

-spouse or partner

-fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

-child

-parent

-relative who’ll provide long-term care for you

The process is not the same as visiting visa and it cost a lot.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phayie(m): 11:00pm On Jul 07, 2020
Thanks

justwise:

Family visa is for those applying to join..

-spouse or partner

-fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

-child

-parent

-relative who’ll provide long-term care for you

The process is not the same as visiting visa and it cost a lot.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:07am On Jul 08, 2020
Phayie:
Please does this mean

I received this whatapp from 3 different people in naija . When I checked the link , nothing there states what the write up is about

I think it's one of those messages , someone just composed and started sending around with little truth to it
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:42am On Jul 08, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I received this whatapp from 3 different people in naija . When I checked the link , nothing there states what the write up is about

I think it's one of those messages , someone just composed and started sending around with little truth to it
I have seen a similar message recently. I think it is a scam format to get people interested and ask them (the sender of the message) for more information on how to apply and then milk them.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 10:41am On Jul 08, 2020
LagosismyHome:

It seems to be correct. Applicants will still need to meet the financial requirements, proof of subsisting relationship etc.

''You can apply from the UK to switch to a long-term UK visa until 31 July 2020 if your leave expires between 24 January 2020 and 31 July 2020. This includes applications where you would usually need to apply for a visa from your home country.''
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:45am On Jul 08, 2020
claremont:

It seems to be correct. Applicants will still need to meet the financial requirements, proof of subsisting relationship etc.

''You can apply from the UK to switch to a long-term UK visa until 31 July 2020 if your leave expires between 24 January 2020 and 31 July 2020. This includes applications where you would usually need to apply for a visa from your home country.''
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents

It was this eye catching that wasnt as eye catching when you read the link

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:08am On Jul 08, 2020
claremont:

Nah! It’s not correct, read the whole article, it’s clearly talking about immigration visas and not visiting visa. And there is no promise of citizenship through visiting visa .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nonso6912: 1:53pm On Jul 08, 2020
Good day, I'm quite new on Nairaland. I would love to know if someone has Currently recieved a UK tier 2 (general) visa or any visa, since the visa application centers resumed work.

I would appreciate any further info on this, that ka.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.