Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (434) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306177 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:10am On Nov 10, 2020
fatima04:

Yeah you are right about the over priced but the truth is RICS regulates the market. Your mortgage broker would request a valuation and wont pay more than what the valuer states, and this is usually in line with older houses in the neighbourhood. This helps get the right type of deal.

And ofcourse refurbishment on Old houses too makes a lot of sense. Although I read HTB can be used on refurbished houses but not too certain about this.

LISA can be used on old houses cos I remember when I wanted to take a mortgage out with NatWest, they didn’t have a problem with the fact that it was an old build.

I think the reason that the value of those new builds don’t go up after 5 years, isn’t because the property owners over valued them (like someone pointed out the value is regulated), it’s because most new builds are in evil forests (outskirts) rather than city centres where the value would go up speedily.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:20am On Nov 10, 2020
fatima04:

In every country, the business model is to make money. The new builds we did for naija as contractors ehn na ish grin grin.

For me sha i like new houses since I dey live in one as a renter grin. Nothing like tear rubber house
New house is "sweet" and less stressful to move into. Add the advantage of warranty and not having to worry about some repairs for a number of years. I hear they are mostly over priced but in my area, it was difficult for me to compare prices because most of the old houses (more spacious) were more expensive. Also, someone in a new build near ours sold in about a year for a hefty profit (>20k). Our estate is till under development and similar ones being sold now are 10k higher than ours.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 11:51am On Nov 10, 2020
Then it has to be any of the FLR () dependant.. I really doubt if T2 dependant can be given such outside of the T2 rules.

But if u can go to naija and back all same day, anything is possible wink tongue

Aphrodite007:

Haha you’re not serious! It’s the dependents that got the 10 years, not the applicant. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:59am On Nov 10, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Rats embarassed.... chei in this abroad.
This is one animal I cant stand. I cant then imagine been in the same house with them

My sister, it was scary oo. Our first house and I was always alone the house for weeks. Just for me to come to the kitchen and discover large loaves of bread, noddles disappearing.

I set laptop camera that eventually showed the culprit. The Nigerian that moved away from the house had the rats problem but never told us about it, until the partner slipped one day while gisting me grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 12:00pm On Nov 10, 2020
tshoboy:

Chai. Can you remember any of them?

Will check and get back
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Estroller: 2:20pm On Nov 10, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2020
Estroller:
Hi all, hope everyone is well and staying safe. We recently received the survey(homebuyers) report on a house we are looking to buy and the report puts the electrical, gas and heating systems on condition rating 3 (red) and recommended that inspections be carried out and any works found fixed immediately for safety reasons.

It also puts the chimney stack and roof covering on condition rating 2(amber). That the chimney stack will need repointing at some point and later stated that no serious defects were noticed but any work should be done soon.

It looks generic to me, and the addition of the "no defects noticed and any works should be done soon" advisory looks more like they are trying to protect themselves from future litigation.

We did the survey with the hope of getting something to leverage on to negotiate the price downward. Is there anything with such potential in this report, and is there anything to be worried about? Thank you as I await your inputs.
The best people to give you an advice on this are mortgage advisers or Brokers,its a lot of money to gamble with
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 3:43pm On Nov 10, 2020
Estroller:
Hi all, hope everyone is well and staying safe. We recently received the survey(homebuyers) report on a house we are looking to buy and the report puts the electrical, gas and heating systems on condition rating 3 (red) and recommended that inspections be carried out and any works found fixed immediately for safety reasons.

It also puts the chimney stack and roof covering on condition rating 2(amber). That the chimney stack will need repointing at some point and later stated that no serious defects were noticed but any work should be done soon.

It looks generic to me, and the addition of the "no defects noticed and any works should be done soon" advisory looks more like they are trying to protect themselves from future litigation.

We did the survey with the hope of getting something to leverage on to negotiate the price downward. Is there anything with such potential in this report, and is there anything to be worried about? Thank you as I await your inputs.

3 is the highest rating, it means you need to have it checked out by professionals...they would most like need repairs or outright replacement...is the house unoccupied?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Estroller: 3:51pm On Nov 10, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Estroller: 3:54pm On Nov 10, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Estroller: 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2020
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:06pm On Nov 10, 2020
Estroller:

With surveys it never going to be perfect especially the older the house is ....... although some of the points noted are actually liveable issues.

A mortgage broker might not be able to advice you in details about a survey but it worth to ask . If you know a builder or an electrician then those would be the best to advice on how much it might cost to fix and with that cost u can go to the seller..... some sellers no go gree but u must try first . A tradesman would give you an idea of what you are dealing with so that helps you guide and make an informed decision

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2020
[quote author=Estroller post=95893487][/quote]

If its occupied then the landlord would most likely have a service contract for gas and electrics repairs.

You can ask the landlord to have his service provider to check it out and generate a separate report on that...if not then you need to get an independent electrics/gas person to check it out for you.

if you find any fault with the gas or electrics then you can beat down the price of the house since it was not the landlord that told you about it...but if it was mentioned that the house needed such specific repairs then it might have already reflected in the price of the house.

You can use anything you dont like in a house as excuse to reduce the offer price wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by habeebobalola(m): 5:32pm On Nov 10, 2020
Plsss ve been following dis thread since 2017, I really want to travel out of this shithole country but don't still Kno how to go about it, someone should just help me out, am a family man.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 6:29pm On Nov 10, 2020
Reading, learning, taking notes. All the seniors/contributors in the house thank you oooo.

Please what’s your opinion on Credit Unions as a means to getting deposit towards buying a house.

Pls don’t read and pass including uncle daddy eric... #rollingmyeyes
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jargo192: 6:45pm On Nov 10, 2020
Hello Experts,

So I wanted to find our my chances.

I am a Cloud/Infrastructure Architect with over 8 years of work experience. I am currently looking for a job in the UK under the Tier 2 Visa Skilled shortage list. I have seen tons of jobs. I see the new Immigration law takes effect from Jan 1 2021, for skilled workers outside the EEA. What are my chances of landing a good job. I am based in Lagos Nigeria. Also would it be possible if I visit the UK next year, see if I get a sponsor in the UK and come back to Nigeria to apply for a Tier 2 visa? Please I would like someone who is experienced for guidance.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:46pm On Nov 10, 2020
Estroller:

The first thing you need to do is get the current owner to get an electric and gas certificate.
That way all the electric and gas system will be checked by a professional and any faults will need to be rectified before a certificate can be issued. The bottom line is no professional will issue a certificate on faulty or dodgy electric system.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 7:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
habeebobalola:
Plsss ve been following dis thread since 2017, I really want to travel out of this shithole country but don't still Kno how to go about it, someone should just help me out, am a family man.

Like say you start nursing in 2017 for naija, you for don dey plan to graduate this year...and to travel for easy well well

What am I trying to say? Make a plan and start working towards it from today.

Your easiest ways to migrate to the uk include: getting a job; enrolling in a course in the uk; or by having a spouse already in the uk...

We dont have any details about you, what you studied or your circumstances so we cant really give you advice...as wetin work for uche fit nor work for you, every man case different o

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 7:20pm On Nov 10, 2020
habeebobalola:

You want run leave you family for Nigeria oga ?..
Anyways you’ll need to tell us more about ur circumstance. (I.e are you finance, you education, your life skills, past and current occupation.) ... Then we go fit start to consult the oracles ...lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 7:22pm On Nov 10, 2020
EngrSaks:

Like say you start nursing in 2017 for naija, you for don dey plan to graduate this year...and to travel for easy well well

Your easiest ways to migrate to the uk include: getting a job; enrolling in a course in the uk; or by having a spouse already in the uk...

We dont have any details about you, what you studied or your circumstances so we cant really give you advice...as wetin work for uche fit nor work for you, every man case different o

Exactly as my fellow Engineer talk

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:06pm On Nov 10, 2020
Mimzyy:
Reading, learning, taking notes. All the seniors/contributors in the house thank you oooo.

Please what’s your opinion on Credit Unions as a means to getting deposit towards buying a house.

Pls don’t read and pass including uncle daddy eric... #rollingmyeyes

What terms and conditions are attached to the loan?

Have you weighed other options?.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 9:14pm On Nov 10, 2020
Estroller:

This doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the electrics and wiring in the house. The guy who did the homebuyers report doesn't actually test the wiring.

It just means either the electric safety certificate may be well out of date, or that the sellers were unable to provide the certificate during the surveyors visit.

You can ask your seller to bear the cost of testing ad getting a certificate, but they are not legally obliged to.

This doesn't sound like it's an immediate danger, so I doubt that the seller would consider paying for masonry repairs for a house they want to sell.

Then again, when I bought, our seller paid for electric testing, completely replaced our gas fireplace(after we'd moved in no less), and even dashed us one american fridge/freezer and a small drinks fridge..

We did the survey with the hope of getting something to leverage on to negotiate the price downward. Is there anything with such potential in this report, and is there anything to be worried about? Thank you as I await your inputs

Personally, I dont think this is good practice, given that you've likely agreed a price with the seller by the time you order a home buyers report. If the shoe was on the other foot(as it often can be in ultra-competitive markets like London etc), you would absolutely hate to be gazumped for whatever reason....but that's just my view on it.

I think your first port of call should be discussing with the sellers and/or estate agents, to discuss the outcomes of the homebuyers report, and see what they're willing to do. Then I suppose you can decide next steps from there

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2020
We (Dh & I) have only recently started saving with them (credit union). Yeah we are definitely open to other options but cos we are not actually ready yet, there’s nothing much to do now asides reading and learning from others first hand experience(s).

We actually know someone that got her deposit through the credit union so it was a referral.

It’s the Greenwich & Bexley Credit Union.

Lexusgs430:

What terms and conditions are attached to the loan?

Have you weighed other options?.....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tshoboy(m): 9:56pm On Nov 10, 2020
fatima04:

Will check and get back
Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:11pm On Nov 10, 2020
Mimzyy:
We (Dh & I) have only recently started saving with them (credit union). Yeah we are definitely open to other options but cos we are not actually ready yet, there’s nothing much to do now asides reading and learning from others first hand experience(s).

We actually know someone that got her deposit through the credit union so it was a referral.

You are already on the right track........ You guys are not like Buhari......

You are what we call, TalkNaDo........... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:12pm On Nov 10, 2020
Mimzyy:

RalphJean....... Abi you go relocate........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 10:16pm On Nov 10, 2020
This bros self grin

Careful how you mention Bubu oo. I learnt he’s just seizing people’s passports anyhow now grin both online and offline protesters grin

Lexusgs430:

You are already on the right track........ You guys are not like Buhari......

You are what we call, TalkNaDo........... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 10:47pm On Nov 10, 2020
*just for laughs*

Apart from private universities which Nigerian university will graduate you within the time frame quoted

*I laugh in ASUU* grin

EngrSaks:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 10:59pm On Nov 10, 2020
We have been discussing this mortgage option for days now and no single mention/referral to a broker abi una no wan collect referral voucher?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:06pm On Nov 10, 2020
omopapa:
We have been discussing this mortgage option for days now and no single mention/referral to a broker abi una no wan collect referral voucher?
We used landc.co.uk (London and Country).

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:14pm On Nov 10, 2020
During this pandemic era...... For those of you driving vehicles....... Be extra careful........

Insurance companies would reject your claim, if your trip is not essential.............

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:16pm On Nov 10, 2020
omopapa:

Lol...... Speak to people within your immediate environment.....

No point recommending a broker in Kent, if you reisde in Manchester..........

(1) (2) (3) ... (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.