Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (437) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1314926 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 7:11pm On Nov 12, 2020
flinton:

Thank you for this
You have to be careful with currency fluctuations though.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ovapororo: 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2020
Replied

omopapa:
Yeah I sent you pm

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:34pm On Nov 12, 2020
flinton:
Hello I tried an experiment this afternoon and here are my findings(wetin boredom dey cause grin)

Note, I'm 12days old in the UK

Title of experiment : Currency conversion
Aim : To convert naira to pounds via cryptocurrency exchange
Procedure:
Monzo account was opened on Saturday (online) I'm still in isolation. Debit card arrived this morning and got activated

Nigeria verified binance account was funded with 15k, since it was an experiment the account was funded trice with 5k each transaction in order to meet the minimum transaction requirements

Btc was purchased with ₦ and exchanged for £

Withdrawal from my binance wallet to Monzo account
Total of £21.81 was received

Major transaction costs
To fund 5k, 150 naira charge, I did that 3 times
(Minimum 150naira max 18million)
Withdrawal charge £1.5

That is it!
Do you think it's worth it?
Started out with 15k, got £21.81
What do you think?

At the rate of about N688.....

Ehnn stop it oooo smiley. This small money we are trying to gather and manage.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wisemen045(m): 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2020
You don't owe anybody an explanation for your decision. Big congratulations and I wish you greater success.

TRAY2:

Bros even if i loose my Job God forbid, i will still sell the house and get my equity back. Being rent free is relieving for me, not paying someone else’s mortgage. And buying a brand new car for me is not a liability, i wanted peace of mind with manufacturers warranty, and for the car model the price difference between a brand new and used wasn’t much. My NHS job is secure.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2020
LagosismyHome:

At the rate of about N688.....

Ehnn stop it oooo smiley. This small money we are trying to gather and manage.
grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2020
wisemen045:
You don't owe anybody an explanation for your decision. Big congratulations and I wish you greater success.

Nna, we don settle dis matter.

We have crossed that Bridge tey...tey.....
You arrived late to this conversation.

Plenty water has passed under the bridge since that comment was written by TRAY2.

That singular post by TRAY2 garnered more than 3 Nairaland pages on this thread in less than 12 hours.

We learned so much about mortgages (free of charge) in 12 hours than we would have learned in paid lectures.

#WeMove

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 10:01pm On Nov 12, 2020
flinton:
Hello I tried an experiment this afternoon and here are my findings(wetin boredom dey cause grin)

Procedure:
Monzo account was opened on Saturday (online) I'm still in isolation. Debit card arrived this morning and got activated

Nigeria verified binance account was funded with 15k, since it was an experiment the account was funded trice with 5k each transaction in order to meet the minimum transaction requirements

Major transaction costs
Withdrawal charge £1.5

That is it!
What do you think?

This was 688 naira to a pound.

Watch your self!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 8:20am On Nov 13, 2020
Hi Mamatukwas.
Is it possible to get 70k from you? I have pounds. Thank youuuu
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Odedenshi1(m): 10:57am On Nov 13, 2020
Hello guys,

I have been job hunting using reed and a few other sites for the past 1week without luck.

I want to ask if there are other reliable sites I can use? I live in Luton, on a Tier 4 Visa, NI isn’t ready yet but I have my Reference number.

Kindly assist anyway you can, the bills are piling up...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 12:13pm On Nov 13, 2020
missjekyll:
Hi Mamatukwas.
Is it possible to get 70k from you? I have pounds. Thank youuuu

No wahala. Hit me up.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 12:28pm On Nov 13, 2020
Odedenshi1:
Hello guys,

I have been job hunting using reed and a few other sites for the past 1week without luck.

I want to ask if there are other reliable sites I can use? I live in Luton, on a Tier 4 Visa, NI isn’t ready yet but I have my Reference number.

First an foremost make sure your CV make sense (UK standard)
Set up a Linkedin account ......
Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Wonuola111(f): 12:37pm On Nov 13, 2020
wallg123:

What country do you intend travelling to ?
What’s your purpose for travelling?
What type of visa do you intend to applying for ?
Give more details please

I'm applying for the UK visiting Visa

My purpose of traveling is to work when I get there

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 12:49pm On Nov 13, 2020
You are not allowed to work with a visiting visa else you are breaking ur immigration rule

Wonuola111:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 12:50pm On Nov 13, 2020
Easiest job to get around this time will be care jobs or factory work. In both cases you have to go through agencies. Google agencies in ur area and start from there.

Odedenshi1:
Hello guys,

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phenmeson(m): 12:54pm On Nov 13, 2020
Odedenshi1:
Hello guys,

Firstly, most companies will only want to employ when you have your National insurance number with you. But for few that wish to consider you without N. I, you need to check jobs like warehouse, cleaning etc
Lastly, I will advise you to register on Reed.co.uk, just upload Yur CV and keep applying, they will ring you because most jobs available now are warehouses due to the lockdown.
You need to apply for student jobs.you can have a look on this https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/warehouse-jobs-jobs-in-luton-bedfordshire
Best of luck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:48pm On Nov 13, 2020
Odedenshi1:
Hello guys,

It can take up to a month or two to start working so best to have realistic expectations

Before covid work such as care , factory and other minimum wage were the easier type of jobs..... try to find the local agencies in where you live and start the registration and referencing process.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ovapororo: 1:50pm On Nov 13, 2020
There is nothing wrong with going over a week without response especially with the current situation.

Also it depends on the kinda job you trying to get, since you are on a tier 4 then you wont prolly be looking at permanent jobs. Check more on amazon, warehousing, bank HCA, etc.

Check indeed, totaljobs and cvlibrary in addition to reed.

Odedenshi1:
Hello guys,

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 1:53pm On Nov 13, 2020
Check this ya purpose wella oh...

You are not allowed to work with a visiting visa, except you want to break laws that might affect you for sm number of years.

Do not follow the crowd!

Wonuola111:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:11pm On Nov 13, 2020
Wonuola111:

The problem with this your plan is...

1. No responsible company will employ you with visiting visa.

2. You will not be able to open bank account

3. You will not be able to rent an accommodation

If by any chance you managed to get cash-in hand job through connection you will over worked but get paid below minimum wage.

A number of people who are willing to take advantage of you are plenty.. they help you get a room but will charge you premium for rent and bills (a lot of Nigerians/Africans/Asians do this for job) because you have little or no right

Your ability to switch to another type of visa is almost zero.

I suggest you think long and hard about this.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:15pm On Nov 13, 2020
Odedenshi1:
Hello guys,

The student platform should be better for student jobs. Try looking for Amazon jobs, retail jobs, care jobs, etc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 7:19pm On Nov 13, 2020
Wonuola111:

Laugh just escaped my mouth.

Sorry, just so I understand you well; You’re coming to join us to look for work?

(us = people who even have work visas but some don’t have work cos of pandemic)

I wish you well on your trip. Anything is possible. God be with you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 11:03pm On Nov 13, 2020
Good evening Sirs and Mas grin

I'm here again to bother the house

As we are coming out of isolation and our Airbnb apartment will soon expire(24th), there is an urgent need to rent an apartment
Looking for an apartment can be overwhelming
I have been searching for 1 bed flat apartment(family of 3 an infant inclusive).
Average price for a modest 1 bed flat is &£400 and I'm also seeing some 2 bed flats for £450.
Should I go for the 2 bed flat?

Also what should I look out for to avoid stories that touch

Note we are in liverpool, we will prefer houses close to royal liverpool university hospital.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 11:17pm On Nov 13, 2020
flinton:
Good evening Sirs and Mas grin

I'm here again to bother the house

As we are coming out of isolation and our Airbnb apartment will soon expire(24th), there is an urgent need to rent an apartment
Looking for an apartment can be overwhelming
I have been searching for 1 bed flat apartment(family of 3 an infant inclusive).
Average price for a modest 1 bed flat is &£400 and I'm also seeing some 2 bed flats for £450.
Should I go for the 2 bed flat?

Also what should I look out for to avoid stories that touch

Note we are in liverpool, we will prefer houses close to royal liverpool university hospital.
Thanks

A family of 3 plus and infant my brother you definitely need 2 bed flat ..... only if u can afford it oh ..... The comfort you’ll get will be worth the £50.....

Go on Rightmove and search for houses in ur preferred location...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 11:36pm On Nov 13, 2020
wallg123:

A family of 3 plus and infant my brother you definitely need 2 bed flat ..... only if u can afford it oh ..... The comfort you’ll get will be worth the £50.....

Go on Rightmove and search for houses in ur preferred location...
Thank you
Plz total family size is 3(me, wifey and baby)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 11:59pm On Nov 13, 2020
flinton:

Thank you
In that case you should take the 1 bedroom flat ....
Please make sure it’s actually a 1 bedroom not a studio flat cuz these estate agents can fool people sometimes ......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 12:01am On Nov 14, 2020
wallg123:

In that case you should take the 1 bedroom flat ....
Please make sure it’s actually a 1 bedroom not a studio flat cuz these estate agents can fool people sometimes ......
Thank you, do I need to bother about EPC ratings?
Are there pitfalls I should be watchful of?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 12:03am On Nov 14, 2020
flinton:

Thank you

Here are some searches I made for u ...
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E9599&insId=1&maxPrice=450&maxDaysSinceAdded=14&minBedrooms=1&maxBedrooms=1&radius=3.0&googleAnalyticsChannel=renting
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tshoboy(m): 2:05am On Nov 14, 2020
flinton:

Procedure:

Major transaction costs
Withdrawal charge £1.5

That is it!
What do you think?

The transaction doesn’t make sense from naira to £ that’s an effective rate of 746 naira (15,150/(21.81-1.5) but it will make sense the other way around. Have you tried £ to Naira? Also, how long does the transaction take?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 5:33am On Nov 14, 2020
tshoboy:

The transaction doesn’t make sense from naira to £ that’s an effective rate of 746 naira (15,150/(21.81-1.5) but it will make sense the other way around. Have you tried £ to Naira? Also, how long does the transaction take?
Within 30 mins I was credited
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 5:58am On Nov 14, 2020
wallg123:

Here are some searches I made for u ...
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E9599&insId=1&maxPrice=450&maxDaysSinceAdded=14&minBedrooms=1&maxBedrooms=1&radius=3.0&googleAnalyticsChannel=renting
Thank you, the challenge is I see 2 bed flats for the same 450, should consider it? Will it b cost effective?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Omoolobi: 6:47am On Nov 14, 2020
Good morning guys,

Just booked Egypt Air through wakanow, Pls anyone with idea of covid test or not? Or any other nec stuffs.

Thanks guys

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:36am On Nov 14, 2020
flinton:

Thank you, the challenge is I see 2 bed flats for the same 450, should consider it? Will it b cost effective?

Make sure it comes furnished.... since you are a student do not touch any flat that comes unfurnished.

2 bed or 1 bed will be a personal choice. .. council tax is exempt for student so the other difference in bills light, gas, electricity might not be so much between the two.

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.