Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,228 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (436) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306441 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 10:43pm On Nov 11, 2020
Aphrodite007:

This advice is pure gold. I hope people interested in moving see this and learn from it.

If that 3 years had been spent getting a teaching certificate, IT proficiency or nursing degree, they would be here by now.

Yes o, there are no shortcuts...the best thing is to always do the right thing
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 7:42am On Nov 12, 2020
G.morning house, which is the best for renewal of Nigeria passport. The five years or 10 years? I learnt that five years is N45,000 and ten years N90,000. Any advice pls. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by iCode2: 8:24am On Nov 12, 2020
Pls where can someone exchange naira for pounds in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:00am On Nov 12, 2020
Monmarri:
G.morning house, which is the best for renewal of Nigeria passport. The five years or 10 years? I learnt that five years is N45,000 and ten years N90,000. Any advice pls. Thank you

I stand to be corrected.
The 10 year passport is not ‘available in the market’.

By the way, was it from the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) that you got your info from?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JBoy9(m): 9:24am On Nov 12, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Note that with Covid comes some changes and the full impact on the job market is not yet kn....

wallg123:

My brother! Personally I don’t think you should......

beryour:
Adding to previous response,
.........You will be fine

Thanks elders for the wonderful insights. God bless you all
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 9:36am On Nov 12, 2020
RalphJean:

I stand to be corrected.
The 10 year passport is not ‘available in the market’.

By the way, was it from the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) that you got your info from?

Yes.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:42am On Nov 12, 2020
Monmarri:

Is the 10 years really available or just available on paper but not reality ...... what commonly seen is 5 years with 32 or 64 pages option

But help us confirm... anything to reduce not going back to renew after 5 years wont be a bad idea
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:19am On Nov 12, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Is the 10 years really available or just available on paper but not reality ...... what commonly seen is 5 years with 32 or 64 pages option

But help us confirm... anything to reduce not going back to renew after 5 years wont be a bad idea

I have the 10 years 64 pages siting on my dining table, I did it within 4 days in Nigeria. The passport makes sense sha, even my NIN is on it. But I’m glad I have nothing to do with Nigerian immigration for another 10 years.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:32am On Nov 12, 2020
Aphrodite007:

I have the 10 years 64 pages siting on my dining table, I did it within 4 days in Nigeria. The passport makes sense sha, even my NIN is on it. But I’m glad I have nothing to do with Nigerian immigration for another 10 years.

Nice one ooo. That good to hear. I wonder if they do 10 years in the UK as well

Thanks for the update
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 11:11am On Nov 12, 2020
How much pounds do you need and do u have a UK acct to receive

iCode2:
Pls where can someone exchange naira for pounds in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ovapororo: 12:06pm On Nov 12, 2020
I also need pounds please, £1k or more

Yeah, I have a UK account to receive

omopapa:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 12:20pm On Nov 12, 2020
LagosismyHome:

The immigration guy I asked said that the 10 years is available for 64pages.

Moreso, he said that those that wants to come back to Nigeria with expired passport can do so, since one is from Nigeria, u can come bk and renew your visa. But the only problem is that some yeye immigration officer might disturb but normally they don't surpose to disturb one.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:54pm On Nov 12, 2020
Monmarri:

The immigration guy I asked said that the 10 years is available for 64pages.

Moreso, he said that those that wants to come back to Nigeria with expired passport can do so, since one is from Nigeria, u can come bk and renew your visa. But the only problem is that some yeye immigration officer might disturb but normally they don't surpose to disturb one.

BA refused to all my MIL fly in Sept 2020 with an expired Nigeria passport. According to them the system wasnt even allowing check in.... we were at Heathrow and wasnt allowed to fly that day . BA said it only if you have two nationality and the second passport is still valid then maybe but with one passport No.

so that advice in bold, CAREFUL as might be airline specific

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2020
LagosismyHome:

BA refused to all my MIL fly in Sept 2020 with an expired Nigeria passport. According to them the system wasnt even allowing check in.... we were at Heathrow and wasnt allowed to fly that day . BA said it only if you have two nationality and the second passport is still valid then maybe but with one passport No.

so that advice in bold, CAREFUL as might be airline specific
That's strange. Ordinarily they should not deny one from going back to his/her country of origin. The problem may have been their inability to read the passport. I believe it should still be readable even after expiry.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2020
dustydee:

That's strange. Ordinarily they should not deny one from going back to his/her country of origin. The problem may have been their inability to read the passport. I believe it should still be readable even after expiry.

A british or US Citizen cannot travel with an expired passport ..... even when you check google, it is typically not allowed to travel with an expired passport

Once it is expired it is no longer a valid passport

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by iCode2: 3:38pm On Nov 12, 2020
omopapa:

Pounds for #1m. The receiver will be opening an account next week. How much is your rate?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 3:44pm On Nov 12, 2020
Today’s quote won’t be the same next week but u shld be looking at £1,6+ for 1m

iCode2:
Pounds for #1m. The receiver will be opening an account next week. How much is your rate?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by iCode2: 3:51pm On Nov 12, 2020
omopapa:

Okay, thanks. I'll get back to you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 4:39pm On Nov 12, 2020
LagosismyHome:

A british or US Citizen cannot travel with an expired passport ..... even when you check google, it is typically not allowed to travel with an expired passport

Once it is expired it is no longer a valid passport
Thanks.
I have just checked on the internet and saw that some airlines can allow at their discretion.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 4:49pm On Nov 12, 2020
Hello I tried an experiment this afternoon and here are my findings(wetin boredom dey cause grin)

Note, I'm 12days old in the UK

Title of experiment : Currency conversion
Aim : To convert naira to pounds via cryptocurrency exchange
Procedure:
Monzo account was opened on Saturday (online) I'm still in isolation. Debit card arrived this morning and got activated

Nigeria verified binance account was funded with 15k, since it was an experiment the account was funded trice with 5k each transaction in order to meet the minimum transaction requirements

Btc was purchased with ₦ and exchanged for £

Withdrawal from my binance wallet to Monzo account
Total of £21.81 was received

Major transaction costs
To fund 5k, 150 naira charge, I did that 3 times
(Minimum 150naira max 18million)
Withdrawal charge £1.5

That is it!
Do you think it's worth it?
Started out with 15k, got £21.81
What do you think?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:08pm On Nov 12, 2020
You might not get away with this with high street banks. Any traces of crypto na straight block on your acct

flinton:
Hello I tried an experiment this afternoon and here are my findings(wetin boredom dey cause grin)

Procedure:
Monzo account was opened on Saturday (online) I'm still in isolation. Debit card arrived this morning and got activated

Nigeria verified binance account was funded with 15k, since it was an experiment the account was funded trice with 5k each transaction in order to meet the minimum transaction requirements

Major transaction costs
Withdrawal charge £1.5

That is it!
What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 5:11pm On Nov 12, 2020
omopapa:
You might not get away with this with high street banks. Any traces of crypto na straight block on your acct

What do u think about 15k to get £21.81? Is it worth it?
Thank you for the heads up
One should have more than one account for different purposes

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 5:33pm On Nov 12, 2020
If my maths is correct, is that not an exchange rate of about N688?

Now ask yourself, is it worth it?

flinton:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 5:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
Bourne007:
If my maths is correct, is that not an exchange rate of about N688?

Now ask yourself, is it worth it?

grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
That’s 687.75/£
Meaning you are buying £1 at 687.75 which is too high. Higher than black market sef

flinton:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 5:47pm On Nov 12, 2020
omopapa:
That’s 687.75/£
Meaning you are buying £1 at 687.75 which is too high. Higher than black market sef

You are right, like I said its a boredom driven experiment
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Naetoo: 5:53pm On Nov 12, 2020
omopapa:

Plz I want pounds
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 6:42pm On Nov 12, 2020
flinton:

Procedure:

Major transaction costs
Withdrawal charge £1.5

That is it!
What do you think?

You want to avoid moving money from Nigeria to the UK via the financial sector - its a loss.

Adopt a double edge method
Use binance/crypto pairs to move £ to Naira and then do the normal exchange of selling Naira to folks here who need Naira for £.

Ensure you offer something close to black market rate and the differential between binance rate and what you sell to folks here is your profit.

So you may want to start with selling Naira to folks here to get £ then using binance to move the £ to Naira. The difference is your profit.

You may want to have a wider platform and structure your 'business' so you can also assist folks who are in Europe and want Naira for €.

Its all about trying but 3 Naira on 10k transaction is 30K Naira and month endings can net you that 5 folds.

In all TRUST matters.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 6:45pm On Nov 12, 2020
Chukwuka16:

You want to avoid moving money from Nigeria to the UK via the financial sector - its a loss.

Adopt a double edge method
Use binance/crypto pairs to move £ to Naira and then do the normal exchange of selling Naira to folks here who need Naira for £.

Ensure you offer something close to black market rate and the differential between binance rate and what you sell to folks here is your profit.

So you may want to start with selling Naira to folks here to get £ then using binance to move the £ to Naira. The difference is your profit.

You may want to have a wider platform and structure your 'business' so you can also assist folks who are in Europe and want Naira for €.

Its all about trying but 3 Naira on 10k transaction is 30K Naira and month endings can net you that 5 folds.

In all TRUST matters.
Thank you for this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ovapororo: 6:55pm On Nov 12, 2020
Please, do you have pounds? I need urgently please

omopapa:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 7:06pm On Nov 12, 2020
Yeah I sent you pm

Ovapororo:
Please, do you have pounds? I need urgently please

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.