Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,931 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (513) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306063 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 1:21pm On Jan 08, 2021
Olinga:
URGENT: hello house please I have a question.

on my visa it says entry date 11th January

My school starts on the 11th of January, however I have booked my flight for 10th January. Will I be allowed into London (its a morning flight so I will be arriving that same 10th January)

Looks like you might just sleep in one of the airport toilets till 12am

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:23pm On Jan 08, 2021
Olinga:

My school starts on the 11th of January, however I have booked my flight for 10th January. Will I be allowed into London (its a morning flight so I will be arriving that same 10th January)

Rules are meant to be obeyed and followed .... if they say visa entry date is 11th why buy a ticket for 10th . That a self made problem if anything happens at the POE

Airlines are able to change tickets, you might want to change ticket. It might be a problem at POE it might not, all depends on the officer you see but is it wise to take that chance?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olinga(f): 1:30pm On Jan 08, 2021
Oggg:

When is ur visa valid for, that’s when u should book flight for. How can u choose a flight for travel when u dnt have a ‘valid’ visa for that day? Pls explain...

My school starts on Monday the 11th I only wanted to be in the UK before my school starts to settle properly, didnt mean any harm. I also booked the flight before my visa came out, never envisaged such would occur.

thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olubunmyn(f): 1:30pm On Jan 08, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Depending on how money fluid you are and if covid drags on to where it still remains online learning. The more online learning then it's a bit easier for you

That been a 6 years has to be supervised at all time. So when the child closes from school at 3.15 you either put in afterschool program or make an arrangement for childcare if you are not home..... same goes for weekend or anytime you want to work as well

So it's possible, definitely easier if you are alone but with a 6yrs you can work around it but the more fluid you are the easier it is . If you have someone in naija to leave him till you settle that another option as well

Okay... thks mama
So to clarify coming back later to pick him up..how easy can that be without hassle.
How much does childcare or after school cost?
Maybe a range to plan ahead
Kindly help
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olinga(f): 1:39pm On Jan 08, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

okay thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olinga(f): 1:40pm On Jan 08, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Rules are meant to be obeyed and followed .... if they say visa entry date is 11th why buy a ticket for 10th . That a self made problem if anything happens at the POE

Airlines are able to change tickets, you might want to change ticket. It might be a problem at POE it might not, all depends on the officer you see but is it wise to take that chance?

okay thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olinga(f): 1:45pm On Jan 08, 2021
LagosismyHome:

I have called my agent to change it. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 1:53pm On Jan 08, 2021
Check your flight itinerary, possible you will leave Nigeria on 10th and arrive UK 11th which should be okay

Olinga:

My school starts on Monday the 11th I only wanted to
be in the UK before my school starts to settle properly, didnt mean any harm. I also booked the flight before my visa came out, never envisaged such would occur.

thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 1:54pm On Jan 08, 2021
Olinga:

My school starts on Monday the 11th I only wanted to be in the UK before my school starts to settle properly, didnt mean any harm. I also booked the flight before my visa came out, never envisaged such would occur.

thank you

The official school resumption date might start 11th but your course might be some days later
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:55pm On Jan 08, 2021
Tobexin:
Can someone recommend anybody that changes Naira to £ for me in here.

How much do you want..... Omopapa is awaiting to replenish his £ stock............ wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:57pm On Jan 08, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

You no well walahi......... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:58pm On Jan 08, 2021
Olinga:

Even the airline, would not transport you....... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Coldie(m): 2:16pm On Jan 08, 2021
Chuukwudi:

Do 2 years Masters
Get 2 years post study visa.
This is legit 4 years...

On your 2rd year of post study visa, you apply for another. If it's Master's, you have 2 years for study plus another two years... Post study visa.

If you decide to do PhD, you will have 3 years post study visa instead of 2.

This will be running into legit 8 to 9 years

You might want to get married and be your wife's dependant.
Years of study don't count when calculating those years o
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 9jerguy(m): 2:40pm On Jan 08, 2021
Bukad:
Hello house and happy new year. I was offered MSc Civil Engineering at UWS, Paisley for September intake, but due to Covid-19 and other challenges, I deffered the admission. Currently looking at Teeside uni for the same course with advanced parcatice (18 months with placement) come September.
Wifey studied Bus. Edu(with TRCN,2016).
Please, what's life like in Middlesbrough as compared to Paisley, marketability prospect of my course and possible employment for both wifey and I.
Sincerely appreciate your responses.
Thanks.

@Justwise
@Stenon

Middlesborough is a small town and actually not a good place to look for work or hustle. I knew this cause I've lived there for about couple of years
The Uni is located in the middle of the town center close to stores, shop and about less than a mile to the train station

Mireover, cost of living is obviously quite low, rent is damn cheap, if you're coming with the intention to work and probably continue paying your fees. I'd advised you look elsewhere.

Just a little advice

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 2:47pm On Jan 08, 2021
Lexusgs430:

How much do you want..... Omopapa is awaiting to replenish his £ stock............ wink
I don’t think Omopapa is ready as I do change from him but his rate is extremely ambiguous.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 2:54pm On Jan 08, 2021
9jerguy:

Middlesborough is a small town and actually not a good place to look for work or hustle. I knew this cause I've lived there for about couple of years
The Uni is located in the middle of the town center close to stores, shop and about less than a mile to the train station

Mireover, cost of living is obviously quite low, rent is damn cheap, if you're coming with the intention to work and probably continue paying your fees. I'd advised you look elsewhere.

Just a little advice
bro I bet to go against what you mean there isn’t Job out here in Middlesbrough, stop giving people bad impression of that city. I moved to Uk last year January on a tier 4 visa and I have not struggled to look for jobs. We all know the commonest jobs in Uk reside in the health industries or retail industries and you could find those jobs out there. I can bet you I have made times two of the money I invested in coming to Uk within 8 months. I haven’t seen any body out here who is jobless unless he or she doesn’t want to work. As a student your direction of jobs should focus on the health sector or retail and you will surely find something to do.

Settling in a small town has it own advantages. House is very cheap, I basically pay £500 for a tastefully furnished 3 bedroom apartment here, car insurance is low, less noise or struggle, less population to compete for few jobs available unlike London if exist 5 openings for a position in a job like 200 person will be fighting for the position of 5 person. Think wisely!

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2021
It actually does on the 10-year route for long residence.
Coldie:

Years of study don't count when calculating those years o
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:05pm On Jan 08, 2021
Tobexin:
I don’t think Omopapa is ready as I do change from him but his rate is extremely ambiguous.

But the rate as of today is £1 - N630, right?...... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:16pm On Jan 08, 2021
Olinga:

okay thank you

Seriously, I'd be surprised if they let you board the plane.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 3:16pm On Jan 08, 2021
Lexusgs430:

yes it 630 but Omopapa quoted 637
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Oggg: 3:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
Lexusgs430:

That’s the wrong rate. Bureau de change use bdc rate on same abokifx not parallel rates and thats what we should be using.. not high rate always... That’s why people are running..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Oggg: 3:18pm On Jan 08, 2021
Tobexin:
Oshay! e evn worse.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:22pm On Jan 08, 2021
Oggg:

That’s the wrong rate. Bureau de change use bdc rate on same abokifx not parallel rates and thats what we should be using.. not high rate always... That’s why people are running..

Have you thought about using the lower rate and rates falls tomorrow.......

Who picks up the slack........ It's business nah........ At least, no commission was paid (if that lightens the load)....... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:23pm On Jan 08, 2021
Tobexin:

Oya bring N630, I would offer you £100,000......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 9jerguy(m): 3:35pm On Jan 08, 2021
Tobexin:
bro I bet to go against what you mean there isn’t Job out here in Middlesbrough, stop giving people bad impression of that city. I moved to Uk last year January on a tier 4 visa and I have not struggled to look for jobs. We all know the commonest jobs in Uk reside in the health industries or retail industries and you could find those jobs out there. I can bet you I have made times two of the money I invested in coming to Uk within 8 months. I haven’t seen any body out here who is jobless unless he or she doesn’t want to work. As a student your direction of jobs should focus on the health sector or retail and you will surely find something to do.

Settling in a small town has it own advantages. House is very cheap, I basically pay £500 for a tastefully furnished 3 bedroom apartment here, car insurance is low, less noise or struggle, less population to compete for few jobs available unlike London if exist 5 openings for a position in a job like 200 person will be fighting for the position of 5 person. Think wisely!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 9jerguy(m): 3:41pm On Jan 08, 2021
Tobexin:

Middlesbrough is a town and not a city

You came to the UK last year, you've got a job and you're doing really fine... that's good to know

Were you living in Teeside cause the specified location here is Middlesbrough... if not then you've go no case

I gave the guy first hand information cause that obviously would help him to prepare himself for the journey ahead

Moreover, I never said there was no job over there. All I said was that area is not a good place to hustle especially for a student

Can you endeavour to read sentences few times before hitting the reply button.

Last time I checked, sentences comprehension cost nothing
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 3:52pm On Jan 08, 2021
Inkredible:

incredible,is this your picture? if it is,you should watermark it and put it on twitter with tags.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lankybaby(f): 3:59pm On Jan 08, 2021
fatima04:
My Visa experience was quite tough because I found out the whole application to be rigorous with repetition of information.

I applied for Tier 2 Main applicant, General partner and General child

Having to fill the form for a family of 3 no be small task, with the repetition of answers and all. Then now came paying for IHS surcharge, what was supposed to be for a yr payment turned to 3yrs for dependant £600 as against £200 for the main applicant.

Hurdle 2 booking appointment for 3 diff individual was tough for the same day ooo. To say I was frustrated was the least.

Then came the payment wahala. My access dorm card (visa) was not accepted I had to call UKVI and trust them to charge money for every call or mail for complaints and enquiries (UK makes too much from us immigrants oo)

Thanks to all that answered my question in d Visa thread.

Lesson learnt:
1. For families fill individual application with the same portal i.e apply for someone else tab
2. Use Gtbank Mastercard attached to your dorm acct
3. Book appt for same day from UK website but register as a group with TLS dt way you are being processed together
4. Fill all information as truthfully as you can and you won't have any problem
5. Pray and make sure there are no mistakes with your documents

The application is really easy once you follow the rules to the letter.

P.S :- NARIC services is good and I did not have to write ilets for UKVI
Please I need you to put me through how to go about this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lankybaby(f): 4:01pm On Jan 08, 2021
dupyshoo:
I have answered some of the questions based on my experience. If there are any other specific questions, feel free to ask. I will answer if I have the answer.
* Your visa application experience /adjustment status experience - It was easy for me to adjust as I came in as a student. Had lots of Nigerians around me then

* Picking up your BRP (disadvantage of not travelling within the 1month vignette and protocols to follow in picking it up) - Different process when I came in

* Travelling experience (airlines and airport to use) - Came through Manchester Airport first time in the UK. It is usually less busy than Heathrow Airport and faster to get through immigration

* What are the immigration rules to follow? The common one on almost all visas is "No recourse to public funds" - This means you can't claim benefits. Other rules depend on your kind of visa.

* Visa renewals and what you are entitled to after 5yrs - If you are on Tier 2 and you meet the requirements, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (Permanent Residence) after 5 years.

* Can you open a bank account while still in Nigeria and what bank has the best customer service and plan - Doubt you will be able to open an account while in Nigeria. Services in most banks are relatively the same. My advice is that you go for the one that will readily accept you as it can be difficult to open account for the first time in the UK

* Which State/suburb did you settle in and why? Greater Manchester, work location

* Public Transportation Vs Driving in the UK - Public transport can be a lot cheaper than driving. The public transport is relatively very good as bus stops are many. I will advise you take public transport initially as it can cost over £1k to pass your driving test.

* Driving in UK? How long can you use your Naija driving license before you get a license? I am not sure of this

* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighborhood.(Internet plans, electricity company to use, setting up a house) I live in a small town (not too busy and affordable accommodation but expensive naija food)

*Renting Vs Mortgage (pitfalls to avoid when choosing mortgage) - I will advise you wait until you are stable before considering mortgage. Not even sure any bank will offer you mortgage if you are new as your credit rating will be very poor. You will need time to build up your credit rating and also save for deposit before taking up mortgage

* Using a credit card (things to avoid) - My advice is this - Always pay up your credit card balance every month

* Childcare for kids below 5 (cost and how do you go about choosing a minder) - I have never used minders as I always have family members around. Childcare cost depends on location. You will be given 15-30 hrs free childcare once your child is 3 year old. Then, the child can start school on the next September after clocking 4.

* Business Tips you can do both over there and abroad - I am not involved in any business but a lot of people are

* How do you send money home (without much loss) - Several people do the business and will give you good rates

* What does the NHS fully cover? - Almost everything except your medications, dental care, eye glasses (these are the few I can remember)

* Tips on raising kids in a western environment as an African - Hmm, it is not easy. No specific way to go about this. Try to teach the child while the child is still young.

* What culture shock have you experienced? I did not know that English people have accents too. It was really a shock to me

* Tips on how to cloth and cope with the cold weather - Wear thermal wear and layers of clothes before wearing your wool jacket

* Nigerian restaurants and market in your location - No Nigeria restaurant, only 1 Naija shop. If you live in London, you will find loads of Naija restaurants.

* How much does your family survive on in a month? - This depends on the family size, where you live and way of life. If you live in London, it can be close to triple of someone that lives in Manchester.

* Developing Nigeria from Abroad (How to go about it) - No idea

* Nigeria Community in Glasgow - Don't live in Glasgow but I have visited and I know there are a lot of Nigerians there.

* Fun things to do grin This depends on your interest.
Please I need your enlightenment

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 4:07pm On Jan 08, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Oya bring N630, I would offer you £100,000......... wink
nice I will message u now
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:15pm On Jan 08, 2021
Lexusgs430:

I would say £800 pcm, for someone wey belle never big........

But for some like you......... That one no get budget...... cheesy

NB : loads of factors would also need to be considered.....

Eg -:

Home owner
Renter
Oyster owner
Bicycle owner
Current debt profile
External hangers
Taste
Love of the opposite sex
Stingy person (from Ijebu or Ondo)
Social life
Smoker/non smoker
Etc etc etc......... cheesy

grin grin Na to be like you when I grow up na. Lols.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:17pm On Jan 08, 2021
DisGuy:

Great pics!!!

Is that your dog?

No. Not at all. Someone was walking their dog.

(1) (2) (3) ... (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.