Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (510) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1305947 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 9:49pm On Jan 04, 2021
National lockdown version 2.0 lipsrsealed

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 9:50pm On Jan 04, 2021
When will this nightmare end?? #SadMuch

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Wow £660 .... chei london is really expensive ooo. £660 a month per child would have been fabulous for a twin mama

I tell you, to think we started from 640 per month and it got increased in 2020 by 20 pounds. But then na village when compared to London oo
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by zeezaa(f): 11:12pm On Jan 04, 2021
I need naira please �...Anybody?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 11:15pm On Jan 04, 2021
Chreze:
Thanks guys for the swift reply.

1. I can’t add card to apple or google pay as there is no card yet from the Monzo.

2. Monzo app is not functional until after card is activated.

3. I tried opening a starling account and they are requesting for proof of address to complete account opening. I am currently in an Airbnb apartment.

4. Does Revolut request for same as above, if so, then there is gonna be another hold up.

Thanks for the replies.

They didn't from me.
Possibly the delay might be from the post.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by iCode2: 11:45pm On Jan 04, 2021
Will this new lockdown affect UKVI in attending to visa applications?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 11:46pm On Jan 04, 2021
It's just too much!!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 12:57am On Jan 05, 2021
Chreze:

Thanks for your reply. I really don’t know anyone and I believe transferring money to someone’s account is not too cool. At least I will be wary getting funds to my account from someone I don’t know or the source of fund. I try not to ask for what I know I won’t be able to do or give if asked. The only option in this case is getting cash physically. This won’t be bad, but I trade and don’t really think it’s wise getting funds for that black market rate given. Trust me, I don’t expect anyone to offer less than that rate as money is hard to make( I respect that). But I don’t really dig that exchange rate used. I have seen it fly around on here, I don’t think it’s wrong, like I said, working and making money is not an easy thing, so I don’t expect anyone to do bonanza with it.

The summary is my own too much... What can you do for me in this case? Direct me to a way to get what I ought-to/need and I will be very much grateful. Thanks in advance.

Bros Las Las you get the card this week. You will have to wait o.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:17am On Jan 05, 2021
Chreze:

Thanks for your reply. I really don’t know anyone and I believe transferring money to someone’s account is not too cool. At least I will be wary getting funds to my account from someone I don’t know or the source of fund. I try not to ask for what I know I won’t be able to do or give if asked. The only option in this case is getting cash physically. This won’t be bad, but I trade and don’t really think it’s wise getting funds for that black market rate given. Trust me, I don’t expect anyone to offer less than that rate as money is hard to make( I respect that). But I don’t really dig that exchange rate used. I have seen it fly around on here, I don’t think it’s wrong, like I said, working and making money is not an easy thing, so I don’t expect anyone to do bonanza with it.

The summary is my own too much... What can you do for me in this case? Direct me to a way to get what I ought-to/need and I will be very much grateful. Thanks in advance.

You gat to let go of some trust issues you are having...... I guess that what happens when you live so long in jagajaga naija. Yes be cautious but there are many trusty worthy good people that can bail you out if found

Other than that ....it can be a tough road , if you are unwilling to let go of those trust issues. Instead reach out and start building a support network for yourself . No man is an island

You cannot do without exchanging with black market rate. The only provision for a discount is school fees. The rest money you need , would eventually be sourced at a competitive black market rate so free your mind . Alternatively your other source of fund can be salary here once you start working
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 3:41am On Jan 05, 2021
LagosismyHome:

You gat to let go of some trust issues you are having...... I guess that what happens when you live so long in jagajaga naija. Yes be cautious but there are many trusty worthy good people that can bail you out if found

Other than that ....it can be a tough road , if you are unwilling to let go of those trust issues. Instead reach out and start building a support network for yourself . No man is an island

You cannot do without exchanging with black market rate. The only provision for a discount is school fees. The rest money you need , would eventually be sourced at a competitive black market rate so free your mind . Alternatively your other source of fund can be salary here once you start working

You are 100% right about me letting go of some trust issues. I lived in Nigeria for the last 2years+ after some time abroad and I had that Nigerian fear brought back in me. I saw the worst for that period. I won’t lie, it gave me a very scary feeling about us. people get friends account abroad and use them for illegal activities without fear of that person getting into trouble. I can be nice, do things and if possible help out in any way I can without getting personal stuff involved. I remember after my first year, my brother noticed that fear and advised I go on vacation at least once a year so as to get that fear out and remember that life is not that difficult. But after vacation, you come back and the next person doing business with you reminds you of how we can be.

I don’t want to justify my fear, but I think part of the reason we remain like this is because, even when we travel abroad, we still want to hang around ONLY our people thinking that’s where help will come from or can come from, forgetting that the reason for going abroad was to learn new things (not excluding making money). Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying our people don’t help, we do help, but I have been helped/assisted by citizens of countries rated low, I don’t think help comes from just your people. I have opened my mind to understand that you will get help/assistance because there are human on earth who have compassion not because you are from a specific part of the world.

I have been burn and I know relative who got burned too. Guess that’s the reason for the fear. One of the major reason why I like nairaland is that I get to see Nigerians help each other selflessly. Trust me if you lived in Nigeria the last 3yrs, you will know it’s not common like it used to be in the past. I don’t know if it’s the hardship in the country that led to our being wicked/heartless or if it’s just something we breath in. But I am happy to see something different on here and it gives me hope that someday we will be more compassionate and loving to not just our people but to human in general.

With regards to black market rate, like I said earlier, I don’t have issues with people making exchange at that rate, making money is not easy and anyone who does, has the right to exchange at whatever rate that makes them happy. Even Nigerian banks don’t give forex at the CBN rate. I personally don’t dig it like I said, it’s me. I believe it alters the HELP offering. Trust me helping has no side attraction, you help and that’s it. If you see most of the reason people come here for need of pounds, it’s because they are in tight corner and desperately in need of one. Giving them at black market rate (that one will not get from the money apps wen sending money to Naija) alters the HELP. To me it’s more like capitalizing on the desperation of the person in need. This is just my personal thought on that.

I am not a saint, I have my own issues too and I try to work as hard as I can to be a better person too. But I believe I am entitled to say things how I see it. I am also open to someone making me understand better the things I may be looking at from a wrong perspective.

Blessings.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 3:43am On Jan 05, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Bros Las Las you get the card this week. You will have to wait o.

Them don add lockdown join. Na God hand man de.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by noulish: 4:35am On Jan 05, 2021
dejol88:

UK bank account
Okay, how do i contact u?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 6:19am On Jan 05, 2021
Happy new year guys, We have been sent emails to book appointment for Covid Vaccination as a patient facing staff and high risk, My other half has advised against having the jab, I am indifferent towards it. Have you guys also received the emails, and have you started getting the jabs? What’s your take on it.I Don’t know the conspiracy theory about it altering our DNA’s.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 8:29am On Jan 05, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

They didn't from me.
Possibly the delay might be from the post.

So good news. Was able to get Revolut account set up. I am waiting for them to complete some review before I can start to use. There is also virtual card options. So i can proceed to make purchase and payments, while I wait for the physical card.

Thank you so much for this suggestion.
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 9:29am On Jan 05, 2021
I haven't gotten any though I suspect that I might soon. Based on info available to me, the vaccine is safe but then people have their opinions formed and convincing them otherwise can usually be a tough one.

If you've got notes from your training on the 2 available vaccines (you should have gotten one if you work in a clinical setting), you can share with your spouse to allay her fears.

My mum was called to ask if she would be taking it but she's currently on holiday and has rescheduled the conversation for when she gets back so I can't say much for the jabs at the moment.
TRAY2:
Happy new year guys, We have been sent emails to book appointment for Covid Vaccination as a patient facing staff and high risk, My other half has advised against having the jab, I am indifferent towards it. Have you guys also received the emails, and have you started getting the jabs? What’s your take on it.I Don’t know the conspiracy theory about it altering our DNA’s.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dejol88: 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2021
noulish:

Okay, how do i contact u?
Drop me a mail , so we can chat on whatsapp
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by noulish: 1:19pm On Jan 05, 2021
dejol88:

Drop me a mail , so we can chat on whatsapp
Done
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dejol88: 1:36pm On Jan 05, 2021
noulish:

Done
Replied you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 6:03pm On Jan 05, 2021
dustydee:

Talking about neighbours and Sh*t, does anyone have an idea how to stop cats from coming to your garden?
I bought an ultrasound thing to scare them but it doesn't. I have recently bought citronella and cat silhouette but it does not seem to be too effective. I do not have a cat yet I have to clean cat poop, is that fair?

I love cats because they don’t dirty where they stay. They keep it tidy. They go and do their business somewhere else grin angry grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by descarado: 6:08pm On Jan 05, 2021
phyl123:

I love cats because they don’t dirty where they stay. They keep it tidy. They go and do their business somewhere else grin angry grin
Not these cats cheesy

The guy should buy cat repellent. Spray round his garden.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by assumpta1: 9:35pm On Jan 05, 2021
Happy new year everyone.
So still on this switching visa issue, can the dependent switches visa alone if the “former” main applicant is not in at the moment due to the travel restrictions. It’s a long story but brp is missing now and we don’t know how long it will take to get a replacement visa while outside the Uk. So I was wondering if the dependent can switch while in the uk without any problems and what can be done for former main applicant/new dependent. Because the issue just keeps getting complicated and no one seems to have gone through this process on the forum.
@justwise @lexusgs430 @Bourne007 @Aphrodite007 @LagosismyHome
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:48pm On Jan 05, 2021
assumpta1:
Happy new year everyone.
So still on this switching visa issue, can the dependent switches visa alone if the “former” main applicant is not in at the moment due to the travel restrictions. It’s a long story but brp is missing now and we don’t know how long it will take to get a replacement visa while outside the Uk. So I was wondering if the dependent can switch while in the uk without any problems and what can be done for former main applicant/new dependent. Because the issue just keeps getting complicated and no one seems to have gone through this process on the forum.

But what travel restrictions....the airport is wide open and flights are coming in even as we speak . I doubt if the home office will buy that story

Back to the subject , I checked .gov website and this what I saw on switching from tier 4 dependent to tier 4

Apply to switch your dependants’ visas at the same time as you switch your own visa. If you cannot apply at the same time, your partner or child can switch their visas at a later date - this must be before their current visa expires.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 9:53pm On Jan 05, 2021
@bolded .. every (wo)man's circumstances are different cheesy

Just to be clear, No one needs to go through the same process as long as their is an official guideline for you to follow. These new visas only came into effect just recently and it will be difficult to actually find someone.

The new rules clearly say a Tier 4 dependant can now apply in-country so I am not sure why you are looking for someone who doesn't exist. Did you manage to get admission and gotten CAS?

You can definitely switch your visa alone and be on a Tier 4. Your partner who's out of the country can immediately apply to be depandant when you get your visa. If your partner happens to get BRP and back in the country, he can again switch immediately.

assumpta1:
Happy new year everyone.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 9:58pm On Jan 05, 2021
phyl123:

some even flush after taking dumps.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tolajay: 10:09pm On Jan 05, 2021
Is this applicable to all regions of the UK?

How many family members would this also cater to?

Thanks for the insight.

Lexusgs430:

If your kids have not attained University age, school fee is £0.00.................

For rent, bills feeding etc etc = £1500.00 pcm (safe budget)......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:28pm On Jan 05, 2021
assumpta1:
Happy new year everyone.

Two scholars have said what I would have said. You can now switch visas easily while in-country so have fun. I just dey pity your pocket but family comes first.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:34pm On Jan 05, 2021
Page 510. Nawa. I have to read 10 pages to fact-catch up.

Someone can’t even get busy in their life without you people leaving them behind cry

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:34pm On Jan 05, 2021
wallg123:

What if the book no agree enter your head like Timaya ? grin grin

grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tushqueen(f): 10:34pm On Jan 05, 2021
Hello my good people, please how does this International Driver's License work. I heard it can only be used for a year, does it apply to the date of entry into the UK or the date of Issue.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:36pm On Jan 05, 2021
Poch:
Not gonna comment more on this.
But I see gross sense of entitlement...
It’s their f**king country and their f**king rules...
We either deal with or leave it...

The Chinese and Americans have basically taken over all major road construction projects in Nigeria... we complain about this situation.
Now here is a govt that decides to prioritize its citizens and continental union over others... and it’s become an issue...cos we are Nigerians? Abegi!

Is as if you want them to cut your head grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:37pm On Jan 05, 2021
Poch:

A recruiter once told me that the organization didn’t have any reason for not wanting me shortlisted for final interviews.. deep down, I inferred it could be cos of my nationality/race.
I told him outright that it was their loss... not mine...and moved on.

See audacity. I like you!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:39pm On Jan 05, 2021
claremont:
So, today I went for the Pfizer vaccine with 95% efficacy, rather than the dodgy 'Oxford' vaccine with only 70% questionable efficacy. 2020 has been a sheee-it year and thankfully it will be over soon.

Hero! Please update us. I hope they roll out the vac soon. I’m bored just sitting home.

(1) (2) (3) ... (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.