Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,714 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (635) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1304135 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (632) (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:38am On May 30, 2021
They are clamping down...... wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 3:11am On May 30, 2021
claremont:

I have all those you mentioned including a firetv box and 2 firesticks hooked up to IPTV with most international channels and full African DSTV package. I only recently started paying TV licence after I considered the pros and cons, plus the peace of mind of not having to constant look to see who is knocking on the door. Line of Duty, Small Axe are TV shows on BBC Iplayer that are worth every penny of the TV licence fee.

Please can I get plug on the complete DStv package?

DW will be happy.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by shinefelicity: 3:22am On May 30, 2021
Good morning,
Pls I applied for Ma social work but was offered ‘Ma childhood and youth studies’ because I didn’t have IELTS Academic and no time to write it (applied late). I studied economics but have human rights experience...I’m confused, considering a partway on d skilled list; can I change to social work in d 2nd term? Is this a good course? tried researching, not found anyone in this part. I really don’t want to wait till next session.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:24am On May 30, 2021
shinefelicity:
Good morning,
Pls I applied for Ma social work but was offered ‘Ma childhood and youth studies’ because I didn’t have IELTS Academic and no time to write it (applied late). I studied economics but have human rights experience...I’m confused, considering a partway on d skilled list; can I change to social work in d 2nd term? Is this a good course? tried researching, not found anyone in this part. I really don’t want to wait till next session.

No I don't think you can change , however this a question you should ask the school directly.... also to work as a social worker you must have a degree either bsc or ms or ma in social works so if that what you want then best to reject this offer
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Gentle21: 7:23am On May 30, 2021
Thanks.
LagosismyHome:

Well there are slightly warmer cities in UK... Edinburgh is not one of them, rather its one of the colder cities . So maybe first step is choose a warmer city although no matter the city, winter is cold

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 7:32am On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

All LG chairmen, are balling ó....... (except the one's, wey no get sense)..... (such chairmen don't exist in Nigeria)....... grin

Ehn make i do LG chairman fess then.. Then Hush puppy

grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:43am On May 30, 2021
Leopantro:

I have Netflix and Disney+ as well as Google Team drives filled with over 900TB.
But I also have an Android box with an IPTV service that gives me over 8000+ stations including all the south African channels.
Will I have to pay the TV licence?
Do I hide the box from them?

Ideally you should pay TV license if watching any form of live TV. I don't find any problem paying for this. I watch BBC, ITV etc, and feel they do a great job
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:47am On May 30, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

Ideally you should pay TV license if watching any form of live TV. I don't find any problem paying for this. I watch BBC, ITV etc, and feel they do a great job

You know say we get moni, pass ourselves...... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 7:59am On May 30, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

I have problem with tv license and I don’t think one should pay it if you don’t watch BBC programs.

BBC should go commercial to generate revenue just as other channels.

I will not pay for something I don’t use, if I have a skybox and I pay my monthly subscription why should I also pay BBC because I watch sky programs?

Do not allow them into your house simple !

Their warning letters means nothing, they end up in bin.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:05am On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You know say we get moni, pass ourselves...... grin

Na so. As I no fit subscribe Netflix, sky, virgin or Disney plus like you lots, make I still get BBC and ITV to watch in peace.

I know a lady, who went as far as hiding her TV in a store when they came to assess her house, I adviced her not to open her door the next time, nobody will break into your house, and if you watch their program why not pay them?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:08am On May 30, 2021
justwise:

I have problem with tv license and I don’t think one should pay it if you don’t watch BBC programs.

I will not pay for something I don’t use, if I have a skybox and I pay my monthly subscription why should I also pay BBC because I watch sky programs?

I agree with you. One should not ideally pay if one does not watch, I only stated the rule. I pay because that one my main source of TV
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 8:31am On May 30, 2021
justwise:

And I used to think Justwise was a stickler fir the rules (and laws) ohhh

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 8:46am On May 30, 2021
justwise:

I had this political view for many years until recently. Let's say you work in a regulated profession, you get married and have kids. TV licence man knocks on the door when you are away at work, your kid/wife mistakenly opens, invites him in, and in good British tradition, offers him a cup of tea. He leaves. You then get a letter in the post in a few weeks inviting you to court. The highly regulated career you have worked hard for years to get into gets ruined for avoiding £150 odd a year.

This analogy is what I considered and it informed my judgement to start paying. I have been enjoying watching these channels for years without paying it.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:04am On May 30, 2021
claremont:

I had this political view for many years until recently. Let's say you work in a regulated profession, you get married and have kids. TV licence man knocks on the door when you are away at work, your kid/wife mistakenly opens, invites him in, and in good British tradition, offers him a cup of tea. He leaves. You then get a letter in the post in a few weeks inviting you to court. The highly regulated career you have worked hard for years to get into gets ruined for avoiding £150 odd a year.

This analogy is what I considered and it informed my judgement to start paying. I have been enjoying watching these channels for years without paying it.

Yes your analogy is a real possibility, again do not allow them in and that message should be passed down to any family member living with you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 9:06am On May 30, 2021
claremont:

Well said.
I pay for the TV licence and actually watch the BBC when I get round to watching TV (As much as everyone slates the BBC, it really does have excellent programming). I do have an Amazon stick and all that, but simply feel the 13 pounds a month they DD from my account is worth it to avoid unwittingly getting into their wahala. I might be working from home now, but that will change and I dont have the energy to start giving children rules and instructions.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:14am On May 30, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

I agree with you. One should not ideally pay if one does not watch, I only stated the rule. I pay because that one my main source of TV

They will be forced to go commercial because last year a lone 250K stopped paying tv licence.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:22am On May 30, 2021
justwise:

They will be forced to go commercial because last year a lone 250K stopped paying tv licence.

You do not force them to go commercial by illegality, and breaking the rules.

Justwise, when I used to be on the student thread, you appeared to be a stickler for the rules. On this thread, you are stylishly promoting illegality.

If you do not watch any live TV, that's ok. you click a few buttons on the website and TVLicensing will put it on record. They will leave you alone.
But this your pursuance of "do not open the door to let them in' smacks of outright illegality.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:26am On May 30, 2021
justwise:

Yes your analogy is a real possibility, again do not allow them in and that message should be passed down to any family member living with you.

Only a criminally minded person will refuse to allow them. Why go through the trouble of troubling every house member, (including the kids, and grandma who only just came to the UK to holiday) with those kinds of instructions when you could simply pay £13 prr month, or LEGALLY apply for, and get an exemption?

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 9:44am On May 30, 2021
Last week Sunday morning I took my 5yr old daughter for a modelling photo shoot in London. I parked motor somewhere near old street station. Clearly avoiding the congestion charge zone and the ULEZ....
Friday morning I get letter saying I have driven into a new no car zone and I’ve got to pay £130 fine or £65 if I pay within 14 days. ....which kind problem be this from?...

Pls be careful those of you driving into London. There are now New street cameras are popping up everywhere. Other cities like Birmingham and Baths have implemented also ...

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:45am On May 30, 2021
RalphJean:

Only a criminally minded person will refuse to allow them. Why go through the trouble of troubling every house member, (including the kids, and grandma who only just came to the UK to holiday) with those kinds of instructions when you could simply pay £13 prr month, or LEGALLY apply for, and get an exemption?

No, only an ignorant fool allows strangers into their house, someone knocked at your door and shows an ID card and you allowed them in?

Nobody with a single brain cell allows strangers into their house, Talk to them at the door step and if they turns out to be tv licence officers close your door.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:53am On May 30, 2021
justwise:

No, only an ignorant fool allows strangers into their house, someone knocked at your door and shows an ID card and you allowed them in?

Nobody with a single brain cell allows strangers into their house, Talk to them at the door step and if they turns out to be tv licence officers close your door.

If they turn out to be licensing officers, I will let them in and offer them a cuppa.
It’s one of three things:

1. I have up to date TV licence payment
Or
2. I have a valid, and legal TV licence exemption
Or
3. I am watching live TV without paying. Which is illegal.

Those are the only 3 ‘valid’ options.

Justwise: I will advice that you be consistent. Anytime someone on the student thread asks question, or suggests to want to cheat the system (albeit stylishly), you stick to the rules, and sometimes even clamp down on them. Which I think is the right thing to do.

But here you are, preaching door closing and refusing entry when you could use that energy to encourage members here to either pay the licence fee, or apply for an exemption.

#Consistency

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by id2019(m): 10:01am On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

RGN.......

Yes
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 10:02am On May 30, 2021
Dear friends on this thread,

Re: TV Licence Fees

I am writing this to you because of my firm believe that this thread is meant to promote the right thing. I am writing this because I believe that dodging TV Licence fees is illegal (at least within the ambit of the law as IG currently is).

My advice:
If you do not require the TV licence, it’s fine. All you need to do is:
Visit the licensing website:
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/cancellations-and-refunds-top7

In less than 2 minutes, fill the form.
They will send you an exemption.

Afterwards, you don’t have to be glancing over your shoulders and frigging, cowering in fear anytime there is a knock on the door.

Yours sincerely,
RalphJean
(who applied for, and got an exemption hence I do not watch, I do not pay and do not need to sound reminders to my children to shut the door to Law Enforcement Officers).

21 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:11am On May 30, 2021
RalphJean:

If they turn out to be licensing officers, I will let them in and offer them a cuppa.

Or
Or

Justwise: I will advice that you be consistent. Anytime someone on the student thread asks question, or suggests to want to cheat the system (albeit stylishly), you stick to the rules, and sometimes even clamp down on them. Which I think is the right thing to do.

But here you are, preaching door closing and refusing entry when you could use that energy to encourage members here to either pay the licence fee, or apply for an exemption.

#Consistency

RalphJean? Just in case you have suddenly lost your ability to read and understand..can i just repeat this again that i do not pay for what i don't use. I do at least two charity contributions monthly willingly and that is my choice

Now, if you want to allow anybody into your house just because you are not criminal minded then God bless you, go ahead but don't subscribe that to me.

By the way who allows strangers into their houses even with an ID? Is that not instruction 101 we all grew up with? Give me a break!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:06am On May 30, 2021
RalphJean:

ademola0508:

Baba why are you abusive. That your first statement is rude. We all can’t support your opinion.

He was polite with his response and you are expected to do the same in return.

Selective reading.

I did not force my opinion on anybody, no matter how strongly i put out my opinion you still have the right to ignore it. If you can't then its your problem but don't insult me because i have one.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 11:23am On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Don’t mind them. Enemies of progress lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:30am On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Not sure it will last though it will help a lot of people to get into crypto when the price takes a nose dive

It will definitely going to affect the value of bitcoin or other crypto currencies

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 11:59am On May 30, 2021
RalphJean:

Or
Or

#Consistency
If you are not the Police, you are not entering my House ID or no ID.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 12:01pm On May 30, 2021
justwise:

Their warning letters mean nothing, they end up in bin.
I have this Opinion, to, why should we pay TV licence when they are craaaap.They should competit like every other Tv stations out there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by erico2k2(m): 12:08pm On May 30, 2021
Lexusgs430:

The person liking this post...... Thank you ó......

If you're contemplating buying a Legend........ Road fund licence aka road tax.... Is now £630 a year......... cool
and mine nah £20, grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:10pm On May 30, 2021
erico2k2:

If you are not the Police, you are not entering into my House ID or no ID.

LBA.......... cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (632) (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.