Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,683 members, 7,816,787 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (746) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306713 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (743) (744) (745) (746) (747) (748) (749) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 7:07pm On Aug 20, 2021
dustydee:

I don't know about 2 year programs. But I guess that will have internship opportunities which could be an advantage.

Thanks

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bronzedigger(m): 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2021
dustydee:

I don't know about 2 year programs. But I guess that will have internship opportunities which could be an advantage.

But there's a common talk that our certificate is not valued abroad and can't get one a job abroad, so when applying to those jobs on the websites you listed earlier,prior to the completion of our masters degree, how do you indicate an MSC certificate in view on the platform or are we applying based on our first Nigerian degree?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hollumee(m): 9:04pm On Aug 20, 2021
Hello everyone, my wife has an NCE in Economics and Mathematics and also a B.Ed in Economics Education. What courses can she do? She is actually considering going for special education but she is a bit skeptical about the course. Also, how cool is Northumbria Newcastle? I haven't seen any review about the place. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:30pm On Aug 20, 2021
Bronzedigger:

But there's a common talk that our certificate is not valued abroad and can't get one a job abroad, so when applying to those jobs on the websites you listed earlier,prior to the completion of our masters degree, how do you indicate an MSC certificate in view on the platform or are we applying based on our first Nigerian degree?
If it is not valued, why would your school admit you? I know a lot of Nigerians denigrate our degrees obtained from Nigerian universities but if you attended a decent university in Nigeria and earned your grades, you are good to go. The major issue we have is the inadequate facilities in our universities but given how much we pay, one can understand. Some of my MSc courses were what I had done in my undergrad days in Nigeria. I only struggled in the software/practical aspect.
The company employing you review your CV and see your qualifications. They then decide whether to proceed or not.
They know you are yet to complete your masters, they make you an offer so that you can concentrate on your studies.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Gcool2(m): 9:59pm On Aug 20, 2021
I plans to come to uk via tier 4 route,and the plan is to bring along my partner as a dependent applicant.she has a B.sc in zoology and she currently runs her m.sc in ecology and environmental biology. Me on the other hand has b.sc in economics and aims to come study international management in the UK.

Now we are thinking if it is possible to get a job with her B.sc zoology certificate obtained from Nigeria here..

Pls can anyone give us insight?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by yormieK(m): 9:59pm On Aug 20, 2021
Good day all @Justwise @TheguyfromHr asking for a friend in the UK.
Is it possible for her (pregnant) to invite her mother to be with her for the period of when she deliver her baby. Its her first baby and she prefers her mom more to any other care. Fill a visit application for her using her student status for invite
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:09pm On Aug 20, 2021
yormieK:
Is it possible for her (pregnant) to invite her mother to be with her for the period of when she deliver her baby. Its her first baby and she prefers her mom more to any other care. Fill a visit application for her using her student status for invite

Sure she can as long as she can afford it and has adequate accommodation for the whole family
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by yormieK(m): 10:10pm On Aug 20, 2021
Regards and I will share her update. Many thanks
justwise:

Sure she can as long as she can afford it and has adequate accommodation for the whole family
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:11pm On Aug 20, 2021
hustla:

I still do not understand why Nigerians hype Indians in IT

Them sabi but the hype too much

smiley

There is no hyping of Indians per se - a Nigerian who knows how to code and an Indian who knows how to code and a Zulu who knows how to code all know how to code.

However, the Indian educational system is one of those old-style rigourous do-it-the-hard-way systems like that of China (and Nigeria too prior to when the country started to destroy itself from the 80s onwards) and with its focus on problem-solving and things like that, the average person who passes through it and is capable tends to emerge with good numeracy skills which in turn makes the transition to IT easier for them.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:15pm On Aug 20, 2021
yormieK:

Of course she can, all other things being equal (appropriate accommodation and affordability)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:21pm On Aug 20, 2021
Gcool2:
I plans to come to uk via tier 4 route,and the plan is to bring along my partner as a dependent applicant.she has a B.sc in zoology and she currently runs her m.sc in ecology and environmental biology. Me on the other hand has b.sc in economics and aims to come study international management in the UK.

Now we are thinking if it is possible to get a job with her B.sc zoology certificate obtained from Nigeria here..

Pls can anyone give us insight?

You can get a job doing anything with any piece of paper you have (or haven't got, as the case may be).
Many companies here still hire people out of secondary school.
In my department we have two 19 year olds and a 20 year old with A levels who are training to be complaints handlers.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 10:29pm On Aug 20, 2021
Jonique:
Thanks for this Feedback.
I'm in same dilemma as my 1st degree is Agric Economics which I've never worked with but have obtained a diploma in HR via CIPMN. Currently work as an SAP HR Consultant but planning to go for MSc in HR to support the Diploma while the end goal is HRIS or HR Data Analyst. I'm on on a 6 months data analysis training.
Hope I'm on the right course so I don't enter UK and be stranded.

The data analysis is a good path to follow.
Like I said, in HR, anyone can jump in and take up roles, so keep an open mind and be prepared not to be surprised if your MSc, when obtained, does not particularly impress recruiters.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by decong: 10:35pm On Aug 20, 2021
Good evening. please I need your help on these.
myself and my spouse will be going for tb test tomorrow morning, we haven't book any accommodation , all affordable accommodation I saw on spare room site are already booked. some says no family. my questions are:
1. please which address should I fill for tb test? can I fill the school address?
2. when sending messages to the landlord that list their apartment for rent, should I stop telling them that it will be me and my spouse?
3. please how can I go about affordable accommodation in Southampton
4. do anybody has someone that can help secure affordable accommodation in Southampton or near by. thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hollumee(m): 10:42pm On Aug 20, 2021
Somebody should please help me out.

Hello everyone, my wife has an NCE in Economics and Mathematics and also a B.Ed in Economics Education. What courses can she do? She is actually considering going for special education but she is a bit skeptical about the course. Also, how cool is Northumbria Newcastle? I haven't seen any review about the place. Thanks. [/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by yormieK(m): 11:00pm On Aug 20, 2021
How about her financial capabilities for the past 6 months? as she has just put the money for her mom expenses in her pounds account. She resumed may intake.?
TheGuyFromHR:

Of course she can, all other things being equal (appropriate accommodation and affordability)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ruthiegal: 11:05pm On Aug 20, 2021
Hi everyone, I need honest advise.
Trying to relocate to a more advanced country with my family. Been waiting for Canada express entry since the beginning of this year and I’ve given up now and decided to go with plan B which is uk. However I’m confused.

I am a lawyer with llb degree. I am looking for a course I can take with job prospects afterwards. Also I don’t know if I can take a different course not related to my bachelor degree as well. I saw some post graduate courses in nursing but it’s only open to uk residents. I really need to apply as against January 22
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 11:27pm On Aug 20, 2021
Ruthiegal:
Hi everyone, I need honest advise.
Trying to relocate to a more advanced country with my family. Been waiting for Canada express entry since the beginning of this year and I’ve given up now and decided to go with plan B which is uk. However I’m confused.

I am a lawyer with llb degree. I am looking for a course I can take with job prospects afterwards. Also I don’t know if I can take a different course not related to my bachelor degree as well. I saw some post graduate courses in nursing but it’s only open to uk residents. I really need to apply as against January 22

You should have the skills you can apply to answering the questions you posed here.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Fiestafetta: 11:42pm On Aug 20, 2021
Good evening, please what is best route for a Nigerian registered health social worker to get a job in UK from Nigeria? Any idea will be greatly appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 12:32am On Aug 21, 2021
Feels like I’m reading through the visa enquiry thread cry.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by contra(m): 1:29am On Aug 21, 2021
decong:
Good evening. please I need your help on these.
myself and my spouse will be going for tb test tomorrow morning, we haven't book any accommodation , all affordable accommodation I saw on spare room site are already booked. some says no family. my questions are:
1. please which address should I fill for tb test? can I fill the school address?
2. when sending messages to the landlord that list their apartment for rent, should I stop telling them that it will be me and my spouse?
3. please how can I go about affordable accommodation in Southampton
4. do anybody has someone that can help secure affordable accommodation in Southampton or near by. thanks

1. Use your Nigerian address or the school address - I assume you're coming for studies.

2. Some apartment are really small and won't be convenient for more than 1 person. I'd advice you give full disclosure. You'll surely get something soon.

3. Just the same way you've been doing. It's not different from the way you secure accommodation in Leeds or Manchester or London. Search on Rightmove, spare room, zoopla, onthermarket, gumtree, open rent etc.

4. The person you want to help you will do point 3 above.

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaylov12: 3:30am On Aug 21, 2021
Davidganna10:
why are they scared of sponsoring post study visa holders?
Is this associated with the money they will pay? Or is their any other thing hindering them from sponsoring?
If money is the problem, what if a post study visa holder decide to cover the cost that will be incurred will this be legal?

To answer your questions, I won't say they are scared but not all companies are registered to give sponsorship to employees. Thise who give are registered with the Home office, I believe.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaylov12: 3:31am On Aug 21, 2021
DoubleN:

Thanks but this is for Rooms and Sharing. I am looking for something for a Family (House)
Try openrent
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaylov12: 3:43am On Aug 21, 2021
MissOwaa:
Good day all,

Please I need help understanding something, I applied for a Student visa with my husband. I'm going for a PGCE Course.

I applied 20 working days ago (priority ) and no reply till now though I got a non straight forward mail 2 working days after my application.

Upon contacting the UKVI, they replied and said they are running *mandatory checks* .

Please can someone explain what mandatory checks mean and the criteria they use to pick who gets checked.

@justwise @ralph @lexus and other gurus please help.

I resume physically on the 1ST of September and attendance is compulsory. With all these going on I'm at wits end on what to do!

Please I help me understand
Thank you.

@MissOwaa , permit me to campaign after election..lol as I noticed you have once reached out to me.
Firstly, don't stress much, your uni will wait. I had similar experience last year. Uni resumed 7th Sept , placement began like some 2 weeks after but I resumed online lectures as everyone, entred UK October 4th and resumed placement after October half term. I only got 3 weeks extra to stay at my 2nd placement school to finish the course.

Secondly, I had a similar issue with visa, albeit standard but it took more than one month with a second interview that lasted 50minutes on phone.
I may say that PGCE isn't very popular with international students, this may be the reason for the delay if of course your application is straightforward/convincing.

I know it's hard to stay sane during the waiting period, but love, if your application has no course for doubt, you will get your visa, get on your prog when you can and finish well as well.

If I may ask, what University are you going?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaylov12: 3:46am On Aug 21, 2021
hollumee:
Hello everyone, my wife has an NCE in Economics and Mathematics and also a B.Ed in Economics Education. What courses can she do? She is actually considering going for special education but she is a bit skeptical about the course. Also, how cool is Northumbria Newcastle? I haven't seen any review about the place. Thanks.

With your qualifications, you do PGCE Secondary Mathematics if you have teaching experience. There is more prospect in it that Special needs if the goal is to get a job and remain.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by decong: 5:30am On Aug 21, 2021
contra:

1. Use your Nigerian address or the school address - I assume you're coming for studies.

2. Some apartment are really small and won't be convenient for more than 1 person. I'd advice you give full disclosure. You'll surely get something soon.

3. Just the same way you've been doing. It's not different from the way you secure accommodation in Leeds or Manchester or London. Search on Rightmove, spare room, zoopla, onthermarket, gumtree, open rent etc.

4. The person you want to help you will do point 3 above.

All the best.

thanks so much
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 5:51am On Aug 21, 2021
kaylov12:

To answer your questions, I won't say they are scared but not all companies are registered to give sponsorship to employees. Thise who give are registered with the Home office, I believe.

Very true, not all companies are registered.
However, registering with the HO as a sponsor is a simple and cheap process any immigration consultant can undertake and the fee is about 500 to 1500 quid depending on the size of the company (the bigger companies more) and the admin requirements (sponsors have some reporting/monitoring requirements for those they sponsor), at least from a HR perspective, are really not onerous at all.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 7:21am On Aug 21, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

There is no hyping of Indians per se - a Nigerian who knows how to code and an Indian who knows how to code and a Zulu who knows how to code all know how to code.

However, the Indian educational system is one of those old-style rigourous do-it-the-hard-way systems like that of China (and Nigeria too prior to when the country started to destroy itself from the 80s onwards) and with its focus on problem-solving and things like that, the average person who passes through it and is capable tends to emerge with good numeracy skills which in turn makes the transition to IT easier for them.

Very true but Nigerians like to act as if they're somewhat Demigods in the IT space

The average Indian does not have distractions like women /relationships when growing up.. Everything is book and more book as that's about the only way they know to succeed

Their environment also is enabling as there's reward for hardwork, plenty light, cheap Internet and skilled teachers who actually want you to know what they're teaching you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 7:24am On Aug 21, 2021
Mimzyy:
Feels like I’m reading through the visa enquiry thread cry.

RT
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hollumee(m): 7:38am On Aug 21, 2021
Thanks @kaylov12

The goal is to get a job and remain bro. She loves teaching and has some years of experience teaching. However, The special needs Masters interest her cos her friend told her it's lucrative and almost readily available. I want to be sure before I support it

Thanks

kaylov12:

With your qualifications, you do PGCE Secondary Mathematics if you have teaching experience. There is more prospect in it that Special needs if the goal is to get a job and remain.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 8:12am On Aug 21, 2021
hustla:

Very true but Nigerians like to act as if they're somewhat Demigods in the IT space

The average Indian does not have distractions like women /relationships when growing up.. Everything is book and more book as that's about the only way they know to succeed

Their environment also is enabling as there's reward for hardwork, plenty light, cheap Internet and skilled teachers who actually want you to know what they're teaching you

Given that Nigerians have few if any of the advantages that you have just mentioned here, is it difficult to see why the Indians are ahead of us in this area?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Karleb(m): 8:16am On Aug 21, 2021
hustla:

This is the same reason I dislike Xiaomi. It's a good smart phone but the hype on NL is too much.

Indians are good, but they are not as good as many Nigerians think. They are mostly consumer of technologies and are very cheap compared to their western counterparts.

I watched a video that claimed most VFX and CGI in Hollywood are outsourced to Indians because they will do it for a quarter of the price.

Finland has the best educational system in the world, better than China's and they are not hyped.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Gcool2(m): 8:18am On Aug 21, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

All valid points, apart from number 2 - remember that those useless buildings on the high street employ people who need the work and also contribute to community mental health by serving as places for the old to go to in order to harass bank staff over improper capitalisation of an alphabet in their postcode or something equally trivial just for an outing and to keep sane.
I find this very hilarious! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (743) (744) (745) (746) (747) (748) (749)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.