Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? (14022 Views)

Poll: Should They?

Yes: 81% (71 votes)
No: 18% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It Expedient To Buy Toy A GUN For Kids / Grown-Up Kids Kick Their Father Out Of His House! / Husband Abused By Mum-in-law Right In His House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by harakiri(m): 2:30pm On Mar 21, 2010
Pennywise:

Well said bro.

Shoot2kill I admire your interests / hobby. But in Nigeria it can only be wishful thinking. No one is giving you license for any hand gun or AK47 no matter how connected you are. You automatically become an outlaw upon possession.

Gun ownership is good but its not enough. In addition raise and barb your fence (include metal spikes so that folded blankets will be useless), then get urself a few killer dogs (make no secret of this).

Most importantly organize and contribute to your neighborhood vigilante effort. Barricade that street (better if you live in a close). This is your first and most visible line of defence.

These few things are basic if you must sleep well. All you need to worry about thereafter is the road and your work place.

Killer dogs! ! !

I almost forgot about that.Rottweilers are the best in this regard.I intend having at least 4 when i build my dream house.Make i see the mad person wey go dare jump fence.I'll have the roam freely after 7pm.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ayettymama(f): 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2010
I like the dog idea

but they can get very dangerous!!

what if they attack innocent people??

then again i also wouldnt want them arnd my children

ive read too many dog stories!!
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by harakiri(m): 2:46pm On Mar 21, 2010
ayettymama:

I like the dog idea

but they can get very dangerous!!

what if they attack innocent people??

then again i also wouldnt want them arnd my children

ive read too many dog stories!!

I have heard a lot of dog stories too e.g dogs eating their owners babies. . .but wetin person go do? To have a gun is dangerous. . .not having a gun in the house is [b]MOR[/b]E dangerous.It's well known that robbers/intruders usually scope out the vicinity of the intended victim for weaknesses and they are less likely to attack if they know you have security lights,guns and of course,killer dogs.There is nothing that scares a thief more than an unpredictable dog that will die defending it's master.Even if there are 20 robbers and only 4 dogs, they will think twice.No one wants to go back home with a missing three missing fingers or a missing calf muscle or a missing "third leg"!

lol
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Pennywise(m): 3:09pm On Mar 21, 2010
harakiri:

I have heard a lot of dog stories too e.g dogs eating their owners babies. . .but wetin person go do? To have a gun is dangerous. . .not having a gun in the house is [b]MOR[/b]E dangerous.It's well known that robbers/intruders usually scope out the vicinity of the intended victim for weaknesses and they are less likely to attack if they know you have security lights,guns and of course,killer dogs.There is nothing that scares a thief more than an unpredictable dog that will die defending it's master.Even if there are 20 robbers and only 4 dogs, they will think twice.No one wants to go back home with a missing three missing fingers or a missing calf muscle or a missing "third leg"!
lol

The best thing about dogs is that you cant sneak in on them. They will announce the arrival the of bad guys giving you enough time to play rambo.

Oh I have a particular dog that has sth for the third leg. Not sure if it was what it learnt from its previous owner but I notice its massive head just keep goin in that direction while barking. I dont want it near me when its angry.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by harakiri(m): 3:30pm On Mar 21, 2010
I'm curious though. . .is there anyone here that has a licensed gun in Nigeria who has been forced at some point to kill a robber without any backlash from police?
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by stiyke(m): 4:21pm On Mar 21, 2010
harakiri:

I'm curious though. . .is there anyone here that has a licensed gun in Nigeria who has been forced at some point to kill a robber without any backlash from police?

If you find urself in such situation and you know your right and have a good lawyer, there would be no backlash. I know some cases as such.

@Topic there are many other ways of defending ur hood apart from owning a gun. killer dogs are one of them. But there are some other more deadly ways that you can control and wont fear any backlash from the police or authorities.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by harakiri(m): 4:39pm On Mar 21, 2010
stiyke:

If you find urself in such situation and you know your right and have a good lawyer, there would be no backlash. I know some cases as such.

@Topic there are many other ways of defending your hood apart from owning a gun. killer dogs are one of them. But there are some other more deadly ways that you can control and wont fear any backlash from the police or authorities.

Apart from hired security guards (who are well known informants), security dogs (which are not bullet proof), high fences and "Bendel insurance. . .which other "deadly" means would you recommend?
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Bigwig1: 4:49pm On Mar 21, 2010
It's good to ve a gun,but b4 u do dat u ve to check urself in d following area

(1) If u re a person wit hot temper u don't need it so as not to commit.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Bigwig1: 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2010
It's good to ve a gun,but b4 u do dat u ve to check urself in d following area

(1) If u re a person wit hot temper u don't need it so as not to commit.

(2)If u re a person dat doesn't ve secret man u don't deserve to ve one.

Dats nufin but d truth.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by stiyke(m): 5:05pm On Mar 21, 2010
harakiri:

Apart from hired security guards (who are well known informants), security dogs (which are not bullet proof), high fences and "Bendel insurance. . .which other "deadly" means would you recommend?

Security guards are out of the question cause they r often part of the problem. It depends on the level of protection and what u r protecting. High fence and and then Dogs are the first line of defence. The dogs are meant to alart you, giving you the so much precious minutes or seconds needed to activate the second or third lines of defences.

Its best not to "gather ant infested firewood" do that and you may need only the first line of defence. Trust me it works!
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Bigwig1: 5:07pm On Mar 21, 2010
Guys 4get abt gun,let God be ur refuge dats d most important thing. i don't knw if anybody here knws d story of d propietor of Apata Memorial Sch.,d man had enuf riffles yet they brought him down. For dogs lyk wrot if u don't give them food on tym dey will use u or ur little kid for food. d best so far is God security.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by latepa(m): 5:38pm On Mar 21, 2010
Well for me i always want to have a gun but now i don't really why though sometimes i feel like shooting someone cool
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by deluxecad(m): 7:32pm On Mar 21, 2010
@latepa: u r damn so funny. U wanna shoot some1?
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Ltrust(m): 8:28pm On Mar 21, 2010
Don't you guys think there would be a lot of abuse and misuse of this guns. Our security agencies especially the police has disgraced this country a lot and they keep escalating corruption to the highest order instead of protecting us.  They all deserve compulsory retirement. A TOTAL SHAME!!
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by suedoh2006(m): 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2010
Look i have a bad temper too, but after i bought my gun, my bad temper vanish because no body wan to be in trouble with the law if not use right. So what i'm trying to say is that having a gun is like anger management control.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by idifu(m): 11:40pm On Mar 21, 2010
i need a Uzi where can i get onesmiley
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by CGKing(m): 11:52pm On Mar 21, 2010
E be like so o!
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Mar 21, 2010
I know of a family friend that armed robbers came to his house, he had a gun with him but was to scared to use it as he had never shot a gun before, he went and hid it in his bedroom then opened the door for the robbers to come in ,     grin
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by InesQor(m): 1:30am On Mar 22, 2010
NO! A man shouldn't have a gun, he should have GUNS in his house, a full arsenal. All licensed, though, otherwise you are on your own!

Besides, he should have an electrified fence issuing with sparks, with bright neon lights warning people off the fence at risk of instant death by electrocution. Only foolhardy criminals will ignore that. The fence will be automatically activated every night but can be deactivated from indoors if you have late night visitors.

He should have at least 4 thoroughbred well-trained guard-dogs to man, in the least, the corners of the house.

If he is designing the house himself, he should have set out to have an underground chamber secretly connecting to all the bedrooms, no matter how small the chamber is, so that at the first indication of trouble, the family, or at least the weaker members of the family can go and hide underground first of all. Lives are more important than possessions.

There should be a tamper-proof alarm on the fence, connected to a mobile phone, that calls the police immediately the security is breached. We know that Nigerian Police will take their time, but at least let them arrive to clear up the mess.

You should have solid steel doors and bulletproof glass windows. Unfortunately, a good dose of a 92% concentrated sulfuric acid is enough to tear down the steel door, and as for the glass, the acid will make it possible to heave it inwards because the glass particles will dissociate. Transparent kevlar composites are currently being researched, and they may be used in lieu of real glass.

By the time the criminals breach the security and they are handling the dogs, and before they get to the steel doors to tear it down with acid, the man has sent his family to the underground chambers and geared himself up for a battle.

The house design will incorporate a pipe that leads into the lounge (the place where the robbers will get to before they can force their way into the main house). this lounge will have a retractable steel door that can glide smoothly across to shut itself. So when they get past the first steel door, they are in the lounge, and stepping in will activate the steel door, it will slide across and shut them in the lounge, then canisters of sleeping gas will be tossed in through the pipes. I doubt that they would be prepared with gas masks, but JUST in case we have any tough daredevils who manage to get past that as well and break past the lounge, the man of the house would be waiting for them in the living room, wearing his own gas mask.

The lights in the living room will be off, and the lounge is flooded with light so as the robbers stumble out of the gasified area they can hardly see you but you can see them clearly. From the owner's dark position of advantage, he can start taking them out. Shoot all their hands, arms, and legs and render them useless!!!

By this time, the police should have arrived, otherwise, just activate the last hidden security door locking the robbers in the living room, go underground to finish your sleep and in the morning we'll know who's the robbers' daddy.  grin

But most of all, the family needs to have absolute faith in God so that any of the machinery does not jam someday. cheesy
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ayettymama(f): 1:39am On Mar 22, 2010
inquesor wat of the robberies taking place in the afternoon??
or by suprise??

or what of in ur car whilst ur deriving
#

pls note im takin ur advice serious cos i for one will need alot of security if i travel

then what of inside a large shop?? what security methods do u suggest??

would u suggest a bodyguard??
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by InesQor(m): 1:51am On Mar 22, 2010
LOL @Ayettymama

Robberies taking place in the afternoon. . . well I think the security devices should have an actuator that you can trigger at any time. So if your dogs tell you that someone has already breached the fence, it's not too late to do the rest. cheesy

In your car while driving? Well, for this one I would advise that you should buy a 4-wheel drive if you can afford it, always have your seatbelt on, and prepare to turn off in any direction at high speed. Also have bullet-proof glass windows cheesy

Inside a large shop, I think motion detectors are a good idea. Find out more about those. . . The motion detectors can be connected to alarms of sorts.

Bodyguard? Hahaha I don't trust them. i prefer to work with machines and devices, at least if it hasn't been tampered with and it is well maintained, you will have no problems! LOL
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Nobody: 2:13am On Mar 22, 2010
This is a so, so question. I am PRO-self defense however I am ANTI-weapon crazy. What was supposed to be used for protection is now in the hands of lunatics who resort to the smallest of conflicts into a war. Not to mention the domestic (household) deaths be it accidental (curious kids) or murder are not declining in numbers. So my honest answer is NO. I walk around with my "Lady knife" in my purse yes and have been tempted many a times to pull out and damage, imagine if I had a hair pin triggered gun? People get scared and emotional and death can follow so no. No guns.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ayettymama(f): 2:13am On Mar 22, 2010
motion detectors for the night??

unno there will always be customers during the day right??
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by spoilt(f): 3:56am On Mar 22, 2010
i'm all for a gun in my house. Locked far away from my little busybody daughter though.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ayettymama(f): 4:03am On Mar 22, 2010
lol or son!!!
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by sayso: 7:25am On Mar 22, 2010
@poster yes
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Poundstan: 8:26am On Mar 22, 2010
Brother with what is happening in Jos i strongly believe every man (Especially Indigenes) should have a gun b/4 these Hausa/Fulani guys wipe them out of existence.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ChristaD(f): 9:09am On Mar 22, 2010
I think it depends on what kind of life he has. If he is prone to unwanted scenes and his enemies surround him, then probably he should have it for self-defense purposes. You wouldn’t need any advice from an advice columnist to answer this kind of problem or poll. And even if you don’t have enemies, you can still have it as long as you have proper papers and license for firearm carriage if you wanted to bring it to other places. For sure you wouldn’t want to be like Lil Wayne right?
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by zenus(m): 9:23am On Mar 22, 2010
Two preferable

One for going out and sub machine gun for guardian in the house
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by InesQor(m): 11:47am On Mar 22, 2010
ayettymama:

motion detectors for the night??

unno there will always be customers during the day right??
@ayettymama: No, the motion detectors will act as proximity sensors: they will capture people's movements whenever they get within a particular distance of the goods on display. So, if anybody steals anything even during the day their motion will be captured. But if the shop is closed, or at night, the motion detectors will also trigger an alarm. LOL. Don't mind me, it's my engineering mind at work. But i think it's a feasible idea.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ohisng(m): 11:52am On Mar 22, 2010
yes!!!
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by stagger: 12:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
all this talk of motion detectors is a waste of time.

Just get yourself a personal arsenal and killer dogs. According to a dog training book I read, an attack dog can be trained to keep still until the intruders have climbed the fence and are well into the compound, near enough to be slaughtered by the dogs but too far from their entry point.

Once the dogs rush the intruders, let your armaments do all the talking from them on.

Works like magic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yam Pounders for Sale / Why Do Men Cheat ( Strictry For Females) / Oyindamola Bakare Is Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.