Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? (14018 Views)

Poll: Should They?

Yes: 81% (71 votes)
No: 18% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It Expedient To Buy Toy A GUN For Kids / Grown-Up Kids Kick Their Father Out Of His House! / Husband Abused By Mum-in-law Right In His House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Shoot2Kill: 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2010
It depends on which area you live in,

I live in South Africa and i got first gun in 2004 after i was robbed at gunpoint by 6 south african teenagers.

Ever since then i have amassed a small arsenal of assault and defensive weapons as well as VIP Mach 4 bullet proof vest.

I own a couple of rifles, some them are full automatic assault rifles ,while the remaining are hunting and sports rifles.

I own a few handguns amongst which are glock , desert eagle , Smith & Wesson and  Berrettas.

I developed a love of guns over the years but please note even though i love guns ,i also respect guns.

Before you consider owning a gun, please go for a tolerance test to be sure that you don’t have a bad temper and also ensure that you have advanced self control. Most importantly make sure you have a safe place to keep your gun away from your immediate relatives.

My guns are stored in a secure "Hard Room" which is situated in my outer building (boy quarters) so i keep them away from wife and kids. Every night i keep my ak47 ,body vest and glock beside my bed fully loaded in the event that someone breaches my compound.

Anyone who lives in South Africa will know the problem we face in regard to the high rate or armed robberies and mid night invasions. Almost every home in my street has a dog and a small arsenal of weapons so it is not a big deal in SA.

Now that being said i will not advocate for guns to be allowed in Nigeria simply because our leaders are morons and as we all know Nigeria is a lawless country. Here in South Africa ,there strict laws governing gun ownership and every gun is registered to it's owner so there is a lot of regulation that are being used here and there are rules of engagement which every gun owner is required to follow in the event of an armed confrontation.

Nigeria on the other does not have the right governmental structures to maintain an armed society or populace. Even though guns are not allowed in Nigeria you can see the damaged being done by university cult groups and political thugs. I schooled in Lasu and i recall those days when “Ayes” and “Eye-Bird Boys” were attacking each other in okoko maiko before the OPC stepped in to quell things.

Nigeria is not ready for an armed populace so i will not support such a move.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by sandee575(f): 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2010
Mr. Rambo,

Just pray it doesnt happen because those guys do come back
for a re-match assuming you even win the first round.

Cheers
Wimp Esq.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by joshO: 3:58pm On Mar 20, 2010
Is it legal to own/license a 'proper' gun in Nija? Not talking about those dane double barrel contraptions. I know military officiers have access to these, but not sure if civilian ownership is permited.

Damn. when I relocate to naij, I'm bringing in an Uzi or AK47. Certainly an assault rifle. Those mofos in naij are getting too suffisticated, a dane gun wont cut it!

And the answer to @poster is yes. Though more useful in some climes (naij, afganistan etc) than others.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by harriest: 4:25pm On Mar 20, 2010
We need Pistols while on the move, Rifle is needed for the house and above all, you need grenade for days like this, 1. during any brutal robbery incident. 2. during any election where there is mass rigging. 3. any boko haram uprising.

I forgot to mention something very very very very very important. You know there are some buildings or places you cant enter with gun because of the security bottle necks. No metal detector can disturb your sigidi, olounde, ayeta e.t.c, they are potent African stuffs.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Shoot2Kill: 5:11pm On Mar 20, 2010
Another thing that is required before Nigeria can have gun society is combat training schools. These are schools which organise combat courses and regular combat games to train aspiring gun owners on rules of engagement, stealth, precision shooting and weapon controls, weapons re-assembly, weapons recognition, Night assault, defensive attacks, disarming technique, rescue /retrieve tactics, evasive techniques e.t.c

These skills are needed to for actualization of a decent, sensible and tolerant armed populace otherwise we will just have a bunch of hillbilly cowboys shooting everything in sight.

Countries like South Africa have different types of gun schools and competitions;

Gun Ranges; This are for beginners, this is where you get to shoot a gun for the first time. You basically learn how to shoot various weapons (mostly handguns) in a stationary position.

Combat school: This is where you learn to handle a combination of handguns, assault rifles and grenades (smoke grenades are used for safety) . They also teach you how to work in a team. Please not that this is not a military school. This is a private combat school where private individuals can go to learn tactical offensive and defensive skills. You have weekday classes and weekend classes.

Combat games range: These games are organized by the combat schools. They usually have a large expanse of land that could span for miles. You will be grouped into a group of 10 each. Each of you will have an arm band which will carry the logo of your group. You will be tasked to start from the beginning of the range and cross over to the other side and acquire a particular object (sometimes a dummy hostage) without being killed. In this situation you will be provided with paint bullet which will splatter red pain on your uniform if you are hit by it indicating that you have killed in combat.

Shooting Competitions: These are for extremely skilled marksmen; it is a competition where the best of the best accurate shooters come to compete against each other. The most accurate shot wins the competition

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Caporegime(m): 5:16pm On Mar 20, 2010
A gun is not enough, some merchandise from BABA IJEBU will compliment any loop holes, especially when not around.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Shoot2Kill: 5:25pm On Mar 20, 2010
I don't think grenades are needed in Nigeria because you might end up killing innocent bystanders. A 9mm and a Heavy calibre assault rifle should do the job. What is important is that you have a full body armour including , chest vest , pelvic guards ,elbow guards ,knee guards, heavy duty ballistic helmets and neck vests.

Something like this (please note that it is very heavy so you may not be able to run fast and even if you do run fast ,you will get tired quickly becoming an easy target for grenades) :

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 20, 2010
Mr shoot To kill, I just hope all those guns are not owned by you shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@topic, thats a tough question. I think I'd do just about anything to protect me and my family, but at the same time,
don't want to perpetuate violence, and would be concerned that even just having a gun in the house can lead to accidental or mis-use.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by daog: 5:55pm On Mar 20, 2010
a gun is good in the house but make sure u wunt blast ur wife's head one day wen thw adam in u gets angry
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Cmiller(m): 6:58pm On Mar 20, 2010
*Hey bro we no need only guns but bombs also cos dz guyz ar in big time,n if care is not taken de might b near u so go get a BOMB n a GUN.*serious ain't jokin
@shoot2kill
.i need my own gun.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by 4lly(m): 8:38pm On Mar 20, 2010
A man should be able to protect is domain by any means necessary

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by 4lly(m): 8:42pm On Mar 20, 2010
A man should be able to protect is domain by any means necessary
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 20, 2010
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by GATSKILLZ(m): 9:42pm On Mar 20, 2010
Make una dey there dey debate gun or no gun in 9ja, me as i dey so,i get launcher,mp5,ak47,silencer pistol,magmum,m16,bureti,machandise and Internet Bombing Device(I.B.D), I knw una neva here of the last one wey i meantion(I.B.D), yeah mehn! and if una make me vex,i go bomb diz site with evrybody on it grin grin
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by chioma134: 9:50pm On Mar 20, 2010
Most wives know all the nooks and crannies in the house and are likely to find the gun.My advice--if you must keep one,go for psyche evaluation first. Don't endanger other family members,and let your wife know.
However I think it is a necessity in present day naija.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by eros(m): 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2010
You kidding me, you need a gun in the house just like you need water to drink every day. And its not just enough having a gun in the house, it has to be loaded and i mean really loaded like shoot2kill arsenal. The world has become one unsafe place to live in.

And for those of you saying not to allow your wife know where you keep the gun, i ask you what of when you travel and she is alone with the kids and they get robbed? I say teach her how to load em bullets in the gun and shoot real good. If any son of a gun as much as come close to my door, i will blow his brains out. Men i love to fill my house with all kinds of guns, that sure make me feel real good each time i come back home from work.  grin grin grin grin grin

@ shoot2kill, can you tell me how to get a licensed gun, sorry i meant guns, grenade, chest vest and the other accessories.  cool cool
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by rasputinn(m): 10:45pm On Mar 20, 2010
Nope
A man shouldn't have a gun in his house,two or more should be the minimum,especially if he can afford it
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by styles2009: 12:33am On Mar 21, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Another thing that is required before Nigeria can have gun society is combat training schools. These are schools which organise combat courses and regular combat games to train aspiring gun owners on rules of engagement, stealth, precision shooting and weapon controls, weapons re-assembly, weapons recognition, Night assault, defensive attacks, disarming technique, rescue /retrieve tactics, evasive techniques e.t.c

These skills are needed to for actualization of a decent, sensible and tolerant armed populace otherwise we will just have a bunch of hillbilly cowboys shooting everything in sight.

Countries like South Africa have different types of gun schools and competitions;

Gun Ranges; This are for beginners, this is where you get to shoot a gun for the first time. You basically learn how to shoot various weapons (mostly handguns) in a stationary position.

Combat school: This is where you learn to handle a combination of handguns, assault rifles and grenades (smoke grenades are used for safety) . They also teach you how to work in a team. Please not that this is not a military school. This is a private combat school where private individuals can go to learn tactical offensive and defensive skills. You have weekday classes and weekend classes.

Combat games range: These games are organized by the combat schools. They usually have a large expanse of land that could span for miles. You will be grouped into a group of 10 each. Each of you will have an arm band which will carry the logo of your group. You will be tasked to start from the beginning of the range and cross over to the other side and acquire a particular object (sometimes a dummy hostage) without being killed. In this situation you will be provided with paint bullet which will splatter red pain on your uniform if you are hit by it indicating that you have killed in combat.

Shooting Competitions: These are for extremely skilled marksmen; it is a competition where the best of the best accurate shooters come to compete against each other. The most accurate shot wins the competition

I totally agree with you,not just owning a gun but mastering the act of using it properly to avoid accidental discharge and accurate targeting.

And to all those asking,if its a good idea of having a gun in Naija, imagine you sleeping in your bedroom and someone boys high on weed enters your compound and subject you to all kind of humiliation and maybe take turns with the females around you, how would you feel? If you had a defense weapon, you would surprise them and don't forget to eliminate the intruder for once cos there is no regrouping or coming back, period!

In a country,where police come after every robbery, what do you expect? I would surly own one,if i plan to stay in Naija for Defensive purpose only!, so its in my house, i mean a good Double barrel cos it create unimaginable hole to the skull and the receiver on the other end is dead,forever!

Only a metal can straighten a metal,so if they come and you were able to snipe one or two,they would know,its not that easy to cross you line of action.

If you can own a gun in Naija,please do,it would spare you a nightmare of seeing some people around you be humiliated.
Styles
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by zenus(m): 12:37am On Mar 21, 2010
It's a nice ideal to have a gun. After all we do have other weapons which can take life.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by styles2009: 12:41am On Mar 21, 2010
I remember those days in Lagos,where i live, robbers don't come often cos there was a Rtd Major General in the second street with an arsenal in his house but one day, they wrote a letter,like they do informing of their coming,

So, the Rtd Major held an emergency landlord association meeting and imposed a curfew for like three day and to our surprise, they came a day earlier but they met a man crazy for gun battle for 4 hours till their ammunition finished and they never came back.

My point is that,if a robber know you have a gun in your house, there are 2 option, He dies or you ,  1 - 1 but if you got none its 0 - 1 , him having the option to dictate ,if you live or die.

A double barrel is the best defensive weapon, as it would create hole in anything withing 40 meters, so get one people!

Styles
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by dkings101(m): 4:28am On Mar 21, 2010
I always support the idea but what if they regroup and come and attack, am owez scared of that.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by kpofkpof: 5:52am On Mar 21, 2010
If you reside in jos like i do, you will definitely own one.

Infact im looking for additional one sef.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by tEsLim(m): 8:16am On Mar 21, 2010
How can I get some in Naija? I really need this shit like crazy. Greenades, pistols and shutgunz. I no how to keep things. Though I've worked more on keeping valuables in the house.

There are these types that rob in my area now , they come in the after noon when you are gone to work and break in then search for valuables. Not Big shit like carrying your 42" tv. small valuables jewelries, notebooks little things they can put in back pack. I need to setup cameras too. That I will do ina month.

But then guns. And I dont like to Bleep with Nigerian police they are very lame and you can't any deal with them. Else you will be converted into a tax machien. They'll tax you till you're broke. Is there any legite gun shop in Nigeria? Or is it possible I travel to south africa and come with guns?
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by lionphil(m): 8:53am On Mar 21, 2010
When i had the opportunity to get one i was about 17 years. dem bakassi boys were still around. i no want make dem just kill me like that. but if another opportunity comes i will definitely grab it. beieve me in NAija na useful thing oo
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Smoothsilky(m): 9:49am On Mar 21, 2010
Guns dont kill people! People kill people!

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ayettymama(f): 11:58am On Mar 21, 2010
where can one get soe noble gun training in the uk??

does anyone no any good gun clubs??
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by RecentPost: 12:00pm On Mar 21, 2010
Smoothsilky:

Guns dont kill people! People kill people!
quotes from DMX
rokiatu:

Mr shoot To kill, I just hope all those guns are not owned by you shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@topic, thats a tough question. I think I'd do just about anything to protect me and my family, but at the same time,
don't want to perpetuate violence, and would be concerned that even just having a gun in the house can lead to accidental or mis-use.
the guy is a terrorist, he could be in parkistian,somewhere arround asia or niger delta area to be precise

thoSe guns belong to him cos that id is not created today.Imagine SHOOTOKILL

i'm a gentle guy i dont play with guns
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by ayettymama(f): 12:02pm On Mar 21, 2010
^^ i was beggining to think so as well!!

which reminds me

where the hell are the gns all these criminals use comin from in nigeria??
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by agathamari(f): 1:55pm On Mar 21, 2010
if the man/woman knows how to use the gun and stores it safely where children cannot reach it or it cannot accidentaly discharge then yes
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by harakiri(m): 2:05pm On Mar 21, 2010
Anybody that has suffered at least one robbery experience in this messed up country will not be asking this question.There are uncountable cases where the robbers not only take your money/possessions but proceed to rape your wife/girlfriend/mother/young daughter and on top of that. . .they kill everyone.Two months ago, robbers trailed a guy who lives on my girl's street in Festac.He had gone to withdraw N300,000.He got out his car,entered his house,was received by his wife and kids, the robbers got in,asked him for the money,collected the money and shot him thrice at point blank range.For one to hope that they will rob you and spare your life is a 70-30 chance in Nigeria.Even if they don't kill you, they would maim you in such a way that you might be handicapped or spend several months in the hospital.There was a time in my life when i used to feel sorry when robbers were being lynched but if you see the mayhem they cause. . .Hmmm.

The recent internet postings of road travelers who were run over on the road due to robbers is a classic example.If a few passengers on that bus where armed, the story would have been different. I don't have a gun yet but i hope to sometime soon.The thing is, even if you have a licensed gun in this country and you kill a robber who attempts to break into your house. . .the police will have a field day leveling all kinds of ridiculous charges against you and if you are not careful, you could end up in jail or even killed by the police (coz they are also robbers).Only those who are well connected escape this embarrassment.
Re: Should A Man Have A Gun In His House? by Pennywise(m): 2:23pm On Mar 21, 2010
styles2009:

I remember those days in Lagos,where i live, robbers don't come often cos there was a Rtd Major General in the second street with an arsenal in his house but one day, they wrote a letter,like they do informing of their coming,

So, the Rtd Major held an emergency landlord association meeting and imposed a curfew for like three day and to our surprise, they came a day earlier but they met a man crazy for gun battle for 4 hours till their ammunition finished and they never came back.

My point is that,if a robber know you have a gun in your house, there are 2 option, He dies or you ,  1 - 1 but if you got none its 0 - 1 , him having the option to dictate ,if you live or die.

A double barrel is the best defensive weapon, as it would create hole in anything withing 40 meters, so get one people!

Styles

Well said bro.

Shoot2kill I admire your interests / hobby. But in Nigeria it can only be wishful thinking. No one is giving you license for any hand gun or AK47 no matter how connected you are. You automatically become an outlaw upon possession.

Gun ownership is good but its not enough. In addition raise and barb ur fence (include metal spikes so that folded blankets will be useless), then get urself a few killer dogs (make no secret of this).

Most importantly organize and contribute to your neighborhood vigilante effort. Barricade that street (better if you live in a close). This is your first and most visible line of defence.

These few things are basic if you must sleep well. All you need to worry about thereafter is the road and your work place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yam Pounders for Sale / Why Do Men Cheat ( Strictry For Females) / Can You Get Married To Your Cousin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.