Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Help! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help! (3843 Views)

"I May Be Ugly But I Confuse Men With My Big Assets" - Busty Lady Says. / Ebi Wali: 'I May Never Get Married', Nigerians Blast Her (Photos) / "I Think I Am A Lesbian, I Need Help Please! " (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 13, 2017
Hey guys, I have a problem and it's been bothering me for some time now.

I find it hard to cry or feel sad when something bad happens. I feel bad when terrible things happen but I don't feel sad. A cousin I was close to died and my whole family was in tears but I felt nothing, I was shocked by his death but I wasn't sad.

Same thing happened when my aunt and a very friendly church member died, I felt bad for them and their families but I didn't feel sad and I didn't shed a single tear. I'm also fond of pushing people away, I don't like having friends. I ignore messages and calls from people who aren't part of my immediate family. I'm beginning to think that I'm a sociopath, please what do you guys think?

No insults please, just helpful suggestions.

1 Like

Re: Help! by TeekayCarter: 2:46pm On Nov 13, 2017
you're a beautiful sociopath cheesy

but seriously, you're like any normal being. most don't cry because life has pushed them too far. you feel bad, yeah but not to a point it leads to depression.
Re: Help! by gsainttrinity(m): 2:52pm On Nov 13, 2017
A very beautiful sociopath indeed!!

On a serious note, you should be concerned about depression setting in...

What you have to do talk about the bad things with people and appreciate the fact that they are really bad stuffs and try to be open to friendships and relationships at least to the point of your tolerance and comfort.
Re: Help! by Wazlax: 2:52pm On Nov 13, 2017
A sociopath wouldn't be worried by this, he/she would just be curious and mildly intrigued. The fact that you seem worried that you might have a problem diminishes the possibility of you being a sociopath. Except of course if this whole "I am worried that I might be a sociopath" thing is just an act.

Not having friends and preferring to spend time alone doesn't actually make one a sociopath, it's just a characteristic of introversion, and there can be sociopaths who are introverted as well as extroverted. The difference however between a sociopath who is introverted and an ordinary introvert, is that a sociopath can alter his personality to one of a typical extrovert just to present a persona that helps him or her to achieve a goal. So an introverted sociopath who hates keeping friends can easily pretend to be outgoing, friendly or charismatic when meeting someone or people he aims to manipulate, use or gain something from, and he can keep the act for as long as he needs to, but when he has gotten what he wants, he immediately reverts to his default personality.

Being indifferent when people close to you die is a marker of a lack of empathy which is a primary trait of sociopathy, but although a lack of empathy is a defining trait of sociopathy, it's not restricted to sociopaths. People who are autistic also have a hard time expressing emotions in these kind of situations due to an extreme lack of understanding social cues and responding appropriately to them.

To be honest, I really don't think you are a sociopath. If you are one, then you are an extremely unintelligent one and you won't be able to function or thrive in today's society. No sociopath would ask this kind of question with an online profile that has her picture, the link to her blog which also has her name on it, and the name of her university. The power and effectiveness of a sociopath rests in the fact that they are able to navigate the world by presenting themselves as what they are not and this power is lost when people know what they are. No sociopath wants anyone to know that they are sociopaths.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! by Sanchez01: 2:56pm On Nov 13, 2017
The best part is that you have actually been able to figure something is amiss. With that said, your behaviour could indeed be sociopathic but that would be hasty and conclusive.

You might be suffering from a rare medical condition called Familial Dysautonomia (FD), or Riley-Day Syndrome which would prevent the necessary reflex to form tears, which results in crying without tears. FD is very rare and it would be too hasty to also conclude that you are suffering from it.

That you didn't cry over the loss of loved ones could also be as a result of shock. Your body might have been sent it quite fast that you could not let out tears.

Another could be an autoimmune disease called Sjögren's syndrome which affects glands that produce moisture in the body such as tear ducts.

For the other behaviours you mention, they point towards sociopathy but then again, it's just an assumption at the moment.

I would suggest you see a Psychologist. Stay safe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! by Wazlax: 2:59pm On Nov 13, 2017
gsainttrinity:

What you have to do talk about the bad things with people and appreciate the fact that they are really bad stuffs and try to be open to friendships and relationships at least to the point of your tolerance and comfort.

Complementing the physical attributes of someone who might be a sociopath in hopes of getting on her good side isn't a smart thing to do. If you are looking for a girl to befriend, date, have sex with or marry, it's safer if you consider someone normal. It's for your own good.

4 Likes

Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:01pm On Nov 13, 2017
Sanchez01:
The best part is that you have actually been able to figure something is amiss. With that said, your behaviour could indeed be sociopathic but that would be hasty and conclusive.

You might be suffering from a rare medical condition called Familial Dysautonomia (FD), or Riley-Day Syndrome which would prevent the necessary reflex to form tears, which results in crying without tears. FD is very rare and it would be too hasty to also conclude that you are suffering from it.

That you didn't cry over the loss of loved ones could also be as a result of shock. Your body might have been sent it quite fast that you could not let out tears.

Another could be an autoimmune disease called Sjögren's syndrome which affects glands that produce moisture in the body such as tear ducts.

For the other behaviours you mention, they point towards sociopathy but then again, it's just an assumption at the moment.

You just quickly googled this right? Don't lie. I'm not stupid.

4 Likes

Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 13, 2017
TeekayCarter:

but seriously, you're like any normal being. most don't cry because life has pushed them too far. you feel bad, yeah but not to a point it leads to depression.
gsainttrinity:

Wazlax:
A sociopath wouldn't be worried by this, he/she would just be curious and mildly intrigued. The fact that you seem worried that you might have a problem diminishes the possibility of you being a sociopath. Except of course if this whole "I am worried that I might be a sociopath" thing is just an act.

Not having friends and preferring to spend time alone doesn't actually make one a sociopath, it's just a characteristic of introversion, and there can be sociopaths who are introverted as well as extroverted. The difference however between a sociopath who is introverted and an ordinary introvert, is that a sociopath can alter his personality to one of a typical extrovert just to present a persona that helps him or her to achieve a goal. So an introverted sociopath who hates keeping friends can easily pretend to be outgoing, friendly or charismatic when meeting someone or people he aims to manipulate, use or gain something from, and he can keep the act for as long as he needs to, but when he has gotten what he wants, he immediately reverts to his default personality.

Not crying when people close to you die is a marker of a lack of empathy which is a primary trait of sociopathy, but although a lack of empathy is a defining trait of sociopathy, it's not restricted to sociopaths. People who are autistic also have a hard time expressing emotions in these kind of situations due to an extreme lack of understanding social cues and responding appropriately to them.

To be honest, I really don't think you are a sociopath. If you are one, then you are an extremely unintelligent one and you won't be able to function or thrive in today's society. No sociopath would ask this kind of question with an online profile that has her picture, the link to her blog which also has her name on it, and the name of her university. The power and effectiveness of a sociopath rests in the fact that they are able to navigate the world by presenting themselves as what they are not and this power is lost when people know what they are. No sociopath wants anyone to know that they are sociopaths.

TeekayCarter:

Sanchez01:

TeekayCarter:

Thanks, I found your comments quite helpful.
Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 13, 2017
Hw much r u gonna pay me to think for you?
Re: Help! by gsainttrinity(m): 3:09pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

Complementing the physical attributes of someone who might be a sociopath in hopes of getting on her good side isn't a smart thing to do. If you are looking for a girl to befriend, date, have sex with or marry, it's safer if you consider someone normal. It's for your own good.

No, no.. I was not complementing her to get her attention. She is truly beautiful. And I have have a girlfriend whom I love and is also as beautiful.

I believe she is normal anyway.. At least she has not given any cause for alarm that might scare me or anyone.

Personally, I have a little trait of dulled empathy too and it nothing serious.
Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:11pm On Nov 13, 2017
Mhizgracie01:
Thanks, I found your comments quite helpful.

I'm mildly infuriated that you lumped my post with that of others when it's obvious that I was speaking from a more "informed" perspective. Again you've proven that you aren't a sociopath. Sociopaths can easily identify other sociopaths and they interact with them differently.

2 Likes

Re: Help! by gsainttrinity(m): 3:14pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

I'm mildly infuriated that you lumped my post with that of others when it's obvious that I was speaking from a more "informed" perspective. Again you've proven that you aren't a sociopath. Sociopaths can easily identify other sociopaths and they interact with them differently.

Are you a sociopath?

You sound questionable.

1 Like

Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:16pm On Nov 13, 2017
gsainttrinity:

No, no.. I was not complementing her to get her attention. She is truly beautiful. And I have have a girlfriend whom I love and is also as beautiful.

I believe she is normal anyway.. At least she has not given any cause for alarm that might scare me or anyone.

Personally, I have a little trait of dulled empathy too and it nothing serious.

Dulled empathy. Hmm. How does a case of dulled empathy differ from the lack of empathy that's commonly associated with sociopathy?

1 Like

Re: Help! by ikeepitreal(m): 3:17pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

she's not a sociopath, she's just looking for a cool name to tag her twisted feelings.

1 Like

Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:19pm On Nov 13, 2017
gsainttrinity:

Are you a sociopath?

You sound questionable.

Psychopath is my preferred terminology. Although both terms are used interchangeably these days.

3 Likes

Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

I actually found your comment more helpful than the others and I would have quoted all of you separately but I was feeling quite lazy, don't be offended.
Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:22pm On Nov 13, 2017
Mhizgracie01:
I actually found your comment more helpful than the others and I would have quoted all of you separately but I was feeling quite lazy, don't be offended.

I'm not offended.

2 Likes

Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

Not crying when people close to you die is a marker of a lack of empathy which is a primary trait of sociopathy, but although a lack of empathy is a defining trait of sociopathy, it's not restricted to sociopaths. People who are autistic also have a hard time expressing emotions in these kind of situations due to an extreme lack of understanding social cues and responding appropriately to them.

You are right.

That's the traits of a typical sociopath .
Re: Help! by TeekayCarter: 3:30pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

I smell pride.

1 Like

Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:32pm On Nov 13, 2017
TeekayCarter:

I smell pride.

Smell whatever you like.

4 Likes

Re: Help! by TeekayCarter: 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2017
Mhizgracie01:

oh Really Well, I hope this helped you reach an enlightened level as the supposed helper.
Re: Help! by Ishilove: 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2017
Sanchez01:

I would suggest you see a Psychologist.
Hian, so na only one person get all these undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Help! by Marshalxv(m): 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2017
its good that you're aware of ur attitude, its a good start .

ur attitude towards people might be perceived as pride ,it may actually be pride which you have to work on .try to see people as equal and don't feel too big to do anything.

you can start by being more open to people around you ,try to make new friends and free you from yourself.

As for not being emotional or empathic, you can start by investing your emotions in something or someone and see how far it goes . Also read books ,especially tragic ones or any other type that will make you want to connect.

My fear is that when someone like you loves ,it goes beyond extreme.
Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 13, 2017
Marshalxv:
its good that you're aware of ur attitude, its a good start .

ur attitude towards people might be perceived as pride ,it may actually be pride which you have to work on .try to see people as equal and don't feel too big to do anything.

you can start by being more open to people around you ,try to make new friends and free you from yourself.

As for not being emotional or empathic, you can start by investing your emotions in something or someone and see how far it goes . Also read books ,especially tragic ones or any other type that will make you want to connect.

My fear is that when someone like you loves ,it goes beyond extreme.
Thank you very much,i like your suggestions. I'll do my best to work on my attitude.
Re: Help! by Maradona98: 3:45pm On Nov 13, 2017
You just need to get laid. You'll be alright.

1 Like

Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2017
Mhizgracie01:
Thank you very much,i like your suggestions. I'll do my best to work on my attitude.

Before you take his advice, let's clarify on a few things, so you don't waste your time doing stuff that won't work. Besides a lack of empathy, which other trait do you exhibit that suggests sociopathy?

2 Likes

Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

Before you take his advice, let's clarify on a few things, so you don't waste your time doing stuff that won't work. Besides a lack of empathy, which other trait do you exhibit that suggests sociopathy?
I like keeping to myself but maybe that's just introversion like someone mentioned earlier. I have like three good friends tho, I met all of them in secondary school.
Re: Help! by Sanchez01: 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
Ishilove:

Hian, so na only one person get all these undecided lipsrsealed
Not necessarily.

Just listing some possible wrongs, beyond sociopathy.

How have you been, Sweetness? kiss

You've been super rare sad
Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wait till someone breaks your heart, see if you won't cry.

1 Like

Re: Help! by Wazlax: 3:57pm On Nov 13, 2017
Mhizgracie01:
I like keeping to myself but maybe that's just introversion like someone mentioned earlier. I have like three good friends tho, I met all of them in secondary school.

How do you feel when you deliberately harm someone? How often do you lie? Do you feel guilt when you lie? Are you manipulative? Do you feel love towards people?

1 Like

Re: Help! by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 13, 2017
Chybeibe:
Wait till someone breaks your heart, see if you won't cry.
grin
Re: Help! by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wazlax:

How do you feel when you deliberately harm someone? How often do you lie? Do you feel guilt when you lie? Are you manipulative? Do you feel love towards people?
I don't deliberately harm people and I only lie when I know that saying the truth might get me into trouble. I feel love for people but I don't help strangers unless they ask for my help, when I see someone in need of help, I feel the urge to help them but because I have problems approaching/relating with people, I just wait for them to ask me instead of offering to help. I don't think I'm manipulative although people usually find it hard to say no to me because of my face. I'm good in most areas, I'm just not good at relating with people/making friends, and I'm not emotional.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Was Just Called 'very Ugly' This Morning. / Lovely Pre-wedding Pictures Of A Pregnant Woman And Her Husband-to-be / d

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.