Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? (12922 Views)

Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion / Bishop Oyedepo: 'If You Don't Pay Tithe, You Are Permanently A Beggar' / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 12:03pm On Nov 30, 2017
spongeisback:
I am a child of Abraham. Dear pastors wait till I win a war then I will pay tithe like my father Abraham did. Amen. Genesis 14:18-20.....

That was only an aspect of Abraham tithing . That doesn’t mean he did it only once . Did Jacob fight a war to be a tither

Genesis 28:21-22
. . .all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Tithe is simply 10th of what God has blessed you with
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 12:10pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

Why should you as a Christian pay Tithe?

Tithe was given for the work of God and for welfare of fultime ministers in the sanctuary . Paul says same applies to the chrcuh . As a command from christ

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? [b]Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospe[/b]l
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 12:16pm On Nov 30, 2017
The LAW was meant for Israel, but the Spirit of the Eternal Creator(Holy Spirit) was meant for all of Humanity (those that are ready to accept it...irrespective of your background)

There are continuous improvements, because the Eternal Creator knows change is constant...only HE never changes.
[/quote]

OkaiCorne:

Oops...my bad sister smiley
Its okay.
OkaiCorne:

Read the Bible again, you'll see a beautiful interwoven pattern of continuous improvements on the principles God laid out;
Well, if you decide to term them as improvement, it's okay, but i wont see them as that.
OkaiCorne:

1) Sacrifice = Animal Sacrifice (Old Covenant) vs Death of Jesus (New Covenant)
2) Circumcision = Physical (Old Covenant) vs Heart & Mind (New Covenant)
3) Giving = Offerings and Tithes (Old Covenant) vs Sacrificial giving to the less privileges & Communal giving and sharing amongst the brethren in the Church (New Covenant).
1. The replacement of the blood of Christ for that of animals is not an improvement on atonement because the Bible says 'Lamb of God was slain before the foundation of the earth. Meaning before Adam sinned, Christ's blood was available. Question is, why wasn't it used instead of the blood of animals? The reason is so that man will fully understand the weight and the gravity of what He did.

It is to tell man that, declaring Independence from God and trying to do things by himself (Human fleshy efforts without the backing of the divine), he will just be running around a circle getting no where.

That's why Apostle Paul in Galatians 3:24 says;
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The application of animals blood is to teach man that only Blood can atone for sins. As we see, the animal is made to die in the place of sinner, what it shd originally be is man dying outrightly.
Every time i sin i die, but instead an animal is made to die for me.

Before Christ will Manifest in the flesh to die, Man should know the Consequences of his actions and accept atonement made by Christ.

It wasn't an improvement. It reward a lesson to be learned.

2. Still a lesson. Flesh versus the Spiritual. You can't walk with God in the flesh.

Before God, the flesh is a shadow while the spirit is the koko. But, to us, the flesh is the koko while, some of us don't even believe in the spiritual.

3. Pls go back and read the old Testament. When is comes to Giving and sacrificial giving. FreeWill offerings, We, as a result of criticism of the Church, does not give half of what the old testament stipulated for God's people to give.

And giving never changes bros. The principle remains the same, give and you shall be given.
[quote author=OkaiCorne post=62848064]
It does not mean that the Old Covenant is useless e.g. animal sacrifice still works very well in the kingdom of darkness. But why settle for good when there is better and best?

Blood is a Spiritual legal tender. To obtain in the spirit realm, you present blood, just like to buy anything here, we present money.

To buy us back from sin and death, the Blood of Christ was a legal tender, so also the satanists use animals blood to buy, and still human blood for something bigger from satan.

They are not using the blood for the purpose of redemption or atonement nah. Is just obtain.

repeat after me, 'My blood shall not be used as a tender for the agent of satan to obtain anything', in Jesus name.

2 Likes

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by xreal: 12:19pm On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Hi, please don't be distracted, just pretend its me and you here for now.

Thanks.

So, my comment is so irrelevant to the extent that you see it as a distraction.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 12:21pm On Nov 30, 2017
petra1:

Tithe was given for the work of God and for welfare of fultime ministers in the sanctuary . Paul says same applies to the chrcuh . As a command from christ

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospe[/b]l

Thank you sir for bringing this points out.

[b]Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?

Those who are against Tithe, whd wish Pastors carry out their work unaided.

The Churches or Ministries who do not pay Tithes collects Hugh dues from their members, but because the tag, Tithing is not used, they join unbelievers to malign the Church.

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 12:29pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

Those who are against Tithe, whd wish Pastors carry out their work unaided.

That’s the enemy plan . Tithe is just a test run , they will come after offering then even church attendance claiming God is in your heart.

The Churches or Ministries who do not pay Tithes collects Hugh dues from their members, but because the tag, Tithing is not used, they join unbelievers to malign the Church.

There are genuine non tithers. And I respect their opinion . They are givers and they see 10% as a limitation . They give far more . But others are simply stingy people who want to excuse their stingy conscience . If you believe tithe is too legalistic simply give 30% case closed
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 12:45pm On Nov 30, 2017
Mailthaddeus:

Whether u like it or not, there will always be poor people around u. Malachi 3:10 says" Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in!. If this is God's word, why should I hesitate to bring. Whether humanity is faced wit hardship or abundance, God's house must always be filled with plenty food, cos we operate on a different economy.
May God bless you sir.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 12:46pm On Nov 30, 2017
petra1:

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospe[/b]l

This is where you need to get it right. [b]Where is stated specifically that tithes should be used to finance the needs of the altar
. Rather, this should be financed through cheerful giving as directed in the scriptures.

Why are we sticking to old covenant requirements in the new testaments? if we insist on tithing, then why are we ditching the other Mosaic Laws?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 12:47pm On Nov 30, 2017
petra1:

God says when you don’t tithe and give offerings you rob him

Malachi 3:8
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me.
But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee?
In tithes and offerings.

I thought the OP just said we have nothing to do with levithical tithe? why are you quoting Malachi for me then?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
petra1:

That was only an aspect of Abraham tithing . That doesn’t mean he did it only once . Did Jacob fight a war to be a tither

Genesis 28:21-22
. . .all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Tithe is simply 10th of what God has blessed you with

that is a personal vow by Jacob.I can also say God when you give me N30 Billion in my account,i will give you 10%.It means I will have to wait until I get the request before paying

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

If you insist on keeping the requirements of the law, then you must obey it to the last letter so you do not disobey God.

1) Can you point to a scriptural reference where tithes were paid in monetary form as opposed to food crops and livestock?

2) Do you know that based on the Law, if you do not pay your tithes in the prescribed format, you are disobeying God...yet thinking you are pleasing Him?

3) After God gave precise instructions on how tithes should be paid, did the bible precisely state anywhere that tithes can be paid to anyone except the Levites i.e. Pastors, Apostles, Rabbis, Pharisees, Scribes, Prophets?

4) In the time of Malachi, was there a Church that collected tithes...or was it an Old testament temple?

Let us be careful not to pour old wine in new wineskin

You can give to Church, but don't deceive yourself that you are tithing. That's just it. Then there's also priorites involved.

Humanity takes precedence over offerings and all of that...
OkaiCorne:

If you insist on keeping the requirements of the law, then you must obey it to the last letter so you do not disobey God.
Let me ask you this, Is Tithing part of the law? I mean did it originate with the Law?

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
petra1:

That’s the enemy plan . Tithe is just a test run , they will come after offering then even church attendance claiming God is in your heart.

[quite]The Churches or Ministries who do not pay Tithes collects Hugh dues from their members, but because the tag, Tithing is not used, they join unbelievers to malign the Church.

There are genuine non tithers. And I respect their opinion . They are givers and they see 10% as a limitation . They give far more . But others are simply stingy people who want to excuse their stingy conscience . If you believe tithe is too legalistic simply give 30% case closed

Certain people would have said Martin Luther is the Devil for trying to break out of the Catholic Church. It baffles me when people mistake traditions for the TRUTH.

If Martin Luther had chickened out, we'll be doing worse than tithing. Actually we'll be paying money (penance) for the forgiveness of our sins!

History never forgets. That you practice a tradition all your life never makes it the TRUTH!

Let me get this clear,

1) Does "tithing" carry more weight than giving to the poor and less privileged?
2) If we insist on tithing, why is the emphasis on 10% and not the specified methods laid out in the TORAH i.e. through foodstuffs and livestock?

I CAN SENSE FEAR HERE. So you Christians actually limit the ability of God to tithe money? Is God limited to money? Are Christians worshiping God or mammon?

WHY IS GOD CALLED JEHOVAH JIREH, YET CHRISTIANS ARE PURSUING TITHES THINKING GOD IS LIMITED TO MONEY!

My giving is done in line with Directions from the Holy Spirit FIRST...and not the sweet mouth of a Pastorpreneur. The Holy Spirit can say 100% now...and say nothing the following month. I won't question Him.

After the Holy Spirit...then comes the teachings of Jesus as my basis.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

1) Can you point to a scriptural reference where tithes were paid in monetary form as opposed to food crops and livestock?

2) Do you know that based on the Law, if you do not pay your tithes in the prescribed format, you are disobeying God...yet thinking you are pleasing Him?

3) After God gave precise instructions on how tithes should be paid, did the bible precisely state anywhere that tithes can be paid to anyone except the Levites i.e. Pastors, Apostles, Rabbis, Pharisees, Scribes, Prophets?

4) In the time of Malachi, was there a Church that collected tithes...or was it an Old testament temple?

Let us be careful not to pour old wine in new wineskin

You can give to Church, but don't deceive yourself that you are tithing. That's just it. Then there's also priorites involved.

Humanity takes precedence over offerings and all of that...
OkaiCorne:

Let me ask you this, Is Tithing part of the law? I mean did it originate with the Law?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 12:51pm On Nov 30, 2017
petra1:

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? [b]Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospe[/b]l

that verse you quoted has got nothing to do with tithe!!!!Paul himself who wrote that epistle never received tithes from anyone

2 Corinthians 9:7New International Version (NIV)

7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 12:52pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

is circumcision part of the law? did it originate with the law?

circumcision did not originate with the law but it was part of the law that was why it was condemned by Paul when some early Christians started preaching just you people are preaching tithing today

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 12:52pm On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

In ancient Israel, money was there in the form of gold and silver, but why did God specifically require tithes to be paid in food and livestock format?

And why are you going against this instruction from God if indeed you are tithing?

There's a scriptural reference that states that if your tithes is far from the temple, convert it to money and when you reach the temple, use the money to buy food and livestock. Why are you not doing this if you are really tithing?
Pls,sir Did Tithe originated with the Law?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

Nope...it's a form of giving.

By the way, if we call what we give tithe, why are we not doing it as prescribed by the LAW? or is there anywhere in the bible (old and new testament) that states TITHE must be paid as money?

If no, why do we call the payment tithe and keep on insisting it is 10% but ignoring the mode of payment as stated clearly by GOD in the bible?

2 Likes

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:10pm On Nov 30, 2017
no form of tithes whether the melchizedec or levitical tithe was paid monthly.The current form of tithing has no scriptural basis

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 1:12pm On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
I hope you know your father Abraham also practised circumcision and burnt offering before the law yet it did not stop Paul from condemning circumcision in the letter to galatians?

Genesis 17
The Covenant of Circumcision

17 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty[a]; walk before me faithfully and be blameless. 2 Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”

3 Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. 5 No longer will you be called Abram[b]; your name will be Abraham,[c] for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. 7 I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. 8 The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.”

9 Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner—those who are not your offspring. 13 Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

15 God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”

17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”

19 Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac.[d] I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.” 22 When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.

23 On that very day Abraham took his son Ishmael and all those born in his household or bought with his money, every male in his household, and circumcised them, as God told him. 24 Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised, 25 and his son Ishmael was thirteen; 26 Abraham and his son Ishmael were both circumcised on that very day. 27 And every male in Abraham’s household, including those born in his household or bought from a foreigner, was circumcised with him

Galatians 5 2-12
Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 “A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.” 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion, whoever that may be, will have to pay the penalty. 11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

Brother, all you have said here boils down to lack of understand of why Christ came. If you know what Happened in Eden, you'd understand what happened on the cross. Between Eden and the Cross is where you are stuck now.

Let me try to bring out some things to the fore front.

Man Sinned and severe himself from the spirit realm. He was created a spirit but was given a body to enable him function in a physical realm, when he sinned his spiritual component was no longer effective, hence; YHWH began telling him what to do in the flesh only to keep him alive. All YHWH did with Man, by way of ordinances or covenants where to bring to mans knowledge and understand of the Gravity and the weight of his actions.
Sin in Eden.

YHWH needed man to know that living only in the flesh will profit him nothing. Everything he asked man to do, had their spiritual replicas but man couldn't access them, becos he was dead spiritually.

Ever before Moses was asked to built a Tabernacle in which the blood of animals will be offered, there had existed a Tabernacle in heaven. For Moses to know what to do, he was taken to heaven and shown exactly the original Tabernacle and was asked to built a replica on earth.

Fleshy circumcision only keeps your flesh clean, nothing else. It does nothing to your spirit state which is more important to you.

When Christ came, the Kingdom of God which Adam lost in Eden has been restored, and things are not to be done in the fleah anymore, but in the Spirit.

In the old Testament, you get acceptance by works, In Christ, you get acceptance by Grace.

If you still believe that by fleshy circumcision, you gain the New birth in Christ, then there's no justification.

Pls let's get something very clear here. Paul did not stop people circumcision, he stopped them from believing that if they don't circumsize their sins are not forgiven.

Circumcision as a form of hygiene still goes on, but as a form of spiritual attainment or acceptance or qualification for atonement, No. This is what Paul stood against.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:19pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

Brother, all you have said here boils down to lack of understand of why Christ came. If you know what Happened in Eden, you'd understand what happened on the cross. Between Eden and the Criss is where you are stuck now.

Let me try to bring out some things to the fore front.

Man Sinned and severe himself from the spirit realm. He was created a spirit but was given a body to enable him function in a physical realm, when he sinned his spiritual component was no longer effective, hence; YHWH began telling him what to do
to keep staying alive. All YHWH with Man, by way of ordinaces or covenants where to bring to mans knowledge and understand of the Gravity and the weight of his actions.

YHWH needed man to know that living only in the flesh will profit him nothing. Everything he asked man to do, had their spiritual replicas but man couldn't access them, becos he was dead.

Ever before Moses was asked to built a Tabernacle in which the blood of animals will be offered, there had existed a Tabernacle in heaven. For Moses to know what to do, he was taken to heaven and shown exactly the original Tabernacle and was asked to built a replica on earth.

Fleshy circumcision only keeps your flesh clean, nothing else. It does nothing to your spirit state which is more important to you.

When Christ came, the Kingdom of God which Adam lost in Eden has been restored, and things are not to be done in the fleah anymore, but in the Spirit.

In the old Testament, you get acceptance by works, In Christ, you get acceptance by Grace.

If you still believe that by fleshy circumcision, you gain the New birth in Christ, then there's no justification.

Pls let's get something very clear here. Paul did not stop people circumcision, he stopped them from believing that if they don't circumsize their sins are not forgiven.

Circumcision as a form of hygiene still goes on, but as a form of spiritual attainment or acceptance or qualification for atonement, No. This is what Paul stood against.

some things clearly stood out.

1 Circumcision like tithing and burnt offerings predated moses and the moaic laws
2.Circumcision and tithing were compulsory under the law and any case of non-adherence attracted divine curse.In fact one wasn't even a jew or a child of God without been circumcised under the old covenant
3.Jesus died on the cross of calvary putting an end to the law
4.All aspect of the mosaic laws including tithing and circumcision died with the law at the cross of calvarly
5.Telling someone that tithing predated the law and thus still valid holds no water as circumcision also predated moses yet it did not stop the Apostle Paul from condemning those touting circumcision as part of the requirements in the new covenant.
6.There is no record of tithing in the early church either from the scriptures or patristic writings.

2 Likes

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 1:20pm On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Nope...it's a form of giving.

By the way, if we call what we give tithe, why are we not doing it as prescribed by the LAW? or is there anywhere in the bible (old and new testament) that states TITHE must be paid as money?

If no, why do we call the payment tithe and keep on insisting it is 10% but ignoring the mode of payment as stated clearly by GOD in the bible?
I asked if Tithing originated with the law, you said no, why then did you ask why we don't do the way tje law stipulates?

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 1:21pm On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

is circumcision part of the law? did it originate with the law?

circumcision did not originate with the law but it was part of the law that was why it was condemned by Paul when some early Christians started preaching just you people are preaching tithing today
No, presides the law, that is why it transcends the law.

Let's deal more with this when i'm a little more chanced.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 1:23pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

I asked if Tithing originated with the law, you said no, why then did you ask why we don't do the way tje law stipulates?

Because through the LAW, God specified exactly how it should be paid. Now that Christ has fulfilled the LAW, but some people still insist on tithing. Why aren't you doing it in line with the LAW?

Is the word of God being twisted to satisfy the selfish interest of a few?

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Because through the LAW, God specified exactly how it should be paid. Now that Christ has fulfilled the LAW, but some people still insist on tithing. Why aren't you doing it in line with the LAW?

Is the word of God being twisted to satisfy the selfish interest of a few?

better still they should ask Pastors to stop quoting Malachi 3:9-10 as that vtalks about tithing according to the law.They should preach tithing by Abraham which was voluntary and done just once.

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 1:27pm On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

better still they should ask Pastors to stop quoting Malachi 3:9-10 as that vtalks about tithing according to the law.They should preach tithing by Abraham which was voluntary and done just once.

double post...
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 1:28pm On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

As if there was already a church collecting tithes when Malachi wrote that verse on tithing o.

On a personal note, I am not against giving to aid God's work, but the words tithe and 10% shouldn't just enter the equation.
Give as the Holy Spirit leads you to, and do so from a cheerful heart.
Because on the other hand, I cannot be blessed by the altar and I do not give back something in return...but no one should use tithe theories to scam me or the parishioners.

I AM STILL DISAPPOINTED THAT SOME PEOPLE LIMIT GOD'S ABILITY TO PROVIDE AND DO HIS WORK TO TITHE MONEY AND MONEY GENERALLY

I need to be sure if it is God or Mammon that is really worshiped in the Church of today. Could this explain why the move of the Holy Spirit is not so strong as it was in the days of the Apostles?

God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:
Pls, if you come in here and are interested in presenting your points, pls do so with scriptures not empty baseless points. thank you

As a Christian, should i pay Tithe?
and to who?
The only tithes to God are:
1) the Levitical tithe aka Mosaic Law tithe, which are given to the priest (e.g. Levite)
and
2) the Abraham type of tithe, given to a priest cum king (i.e. Melchizedek)
- see #3 below

Other tithes in a secular world context (i.e. tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1) are given
1) at pagan temples to priest(s) (note extra biblical references will be provided upon request, same with #3 below)
2) Upon the king's demand's (note bible references will be provided upon request)
3) to local ruler cum priest worthy of the consideration, after taking up arms, go to fight and winning battle fight(s) or war

1) There is obligatory tithe imposed by the Mosaic law (i.e. the Levitical tithe also known as the Mosaic Law tithe)
2) There is obligatory tithe imposed by the christian gatherings law
(i.e. ecclesiastical tithe, where christian gatherings, taxes its members tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income)
3) There is obligatory tithe imposed by custom law (i.e. Abraham's tithing was done, due to the social setting of that time)
4) There is obligatory tithe imposed by monarchy law (i.e. tenth of seed and of vineyards, given to the king's officials and servants)

Now, there is another, which is voluntary tithe,
The nuance in this sort of tithe or tithing, is that it isn't imposed by the Mosaic law, not by christian gatherings law or by any custom law
It so happens or occurs, when FREELY, one DECIDES to GIVE, a tenth of one's financial standing,
as a form of contribution or donation toward's Kingdom purposes, aid or means

In fact, it's tithing subtle difference, is that it is NOT obligatory or imposed

Bible writers and God use the terms, tenth and tithe interchangeably
So if I voluntarily give 10%, a tenth or 10 out 100 of my money contribution or donation toward's Kingdom purposes, aid or means,
I technically have given a tithe,
Considering that it is not a taxed, obligatory or imposition tithe, then I am free, to go ahead giving it

All tithes or tithings, are a form of giving
but NOT all giving are a tenth, tithe or tithing
because the giving could more or less than a tenth, tithe or tithing

The Bible's message today, is about a revolutionary way of giving, where believers are instructed or urged as in 2 Corinthians 9:7 above

Giving could be 50% today, as in 50% equals half of your money
Giving could be 10% next month, as in 10% equals a tithe, tenth, or 10 out 100 of your money (i.e. voluntary tithe, voluntarily giving 10%)
Giving could be 100% following month, as in 100%, equals all of your money
Giving could be 0% following month after, as in 0%, equals zero goes out of your money
Could decide to give 1% month following after, as in 1%, equals 1 out 100 of your money
The giving cycle is not fixed, it might repeat or not repeat itself
How much you give, changes according to the ammount or percentage, you willingly decide to give

It is the freedom, to give whatever you're comfortable with cheerfully
This sort of giving regardless of the percentages is desirable but not obligatory
Without stipulating amounts to give, you're are being trusted to know, to do the 3 right things

You must each decide in your heart how much to give.
And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure.
(i.e. you shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give)
"For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."

- 2 Corinthians 9:7

It is obligatory, taxed or imposed tithing that Christians cannot tithe

It is imposed tithing, which is dead with the law
and believers are not obligated to perform any form of imposed tithing

Anyone giving imposed tithing is practising a religion, that God our Father doesnt accept as pure and faultless

Correctively, the Bible teaches the "church" the revolutionary way of giving,
where believers are instructed or urged in 2 Corinthians 9:7 above, to do

2 Corinthians 9:7, by the way actually, is a rehashed principle God HAS always endorsed,
as evident in
Exodus 25:2, Exodus 35:29, Deuteronomy 15:10 & 1 Chronicles 29:9

analize701:
This question will follow another question which will lead me to answering the question. The question is, As a Christian, am i a Seed of Abraham?

What does Gal 3: 7, 9 say? Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Now, as Seeds of Abraham by virtue of our Faith in Christ, are we, or should we be partakers of the Promise made to Him by YHWH?

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Galatians:3:8-9

The above Scripture says, I'm Justified by Faith to be a Seed of Abraham.

As Children and Seeds of Abraham through faith in Christ, are we included in the ordinances of the Covenant made by God with Abraham?

Is Tithing One of such ordinances?

Was Tithing part of the law of Moses? Or, Did Tithing originate with Levi?

Tithing is not part of the law given to Moses, Precedes and transcends the Dispensation of the Law given to Moses.

Tithing began here and Levi or Moses wasn't born yet.
Genesis:14:18-20
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Levi who was given the office of the priesthood to take Tithes was a third generation descendant of Abraham who Paid Tithe to Melchizedek the High Priest of the Most High God.

Who was Melchizedek?

Where did he come from to take Tithe from Abraham?

Where did he go after that? because no one ever heard of him again after that.

It says, he was the King of Salam. Where was this kingdom of salem?

Was it an Earthly Kingdom?

Salem means peace. So, he was the King of Peace.

Abraham paid Tithe to this High Priest, and that act was recognised by YHWH, long before Levi the great grand son of Abraham was born.

TO BE CONT.

analize701:
Tithing gives you security against satan,
but satan wants you exposed to him,
hence the attempt to confuse you and keep you from paying your Tithe.

YOU DON'T GIVE TITHE, IT'S NOT A OFFERING, IT'S A DEBT, IT'S A COMMAND by God,
it is an everlasting ordinance
. It doesn't stop as the Priesthood of Christ doesn't stop.
Shalom.

CC: Ubendictus
Okaicorne, i decided to open a thread so, pls come in here lets talk.

ask all your questions with the Bible as the base.

Thanks.
I am sorry to say, there is an awful lot of empty rhetoric written all over this post
and I believe the reason is due to the low understanding of the meaning ""no one knew Melchizedek birth or death
low understanding of why it was Melchizedek, Abraham opted to give the spoils of war tithe to
low understanding of the customary law behind the tithe Abraham gave
low understanding of the circumstances of how the Levi got given the office of the priesthood
Lots of low understanding

There you will bring your burnt offerings, your sacrifices, your tithes,
your sacred offerings, your offerings to fulfill a vow, your voluntary offerings,
and your offerings of the firstborn animals of your herds and flocks.

- Deuteronomy 12:6

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
- Malachi 3:8

Of course, tithing is not offering, if it was, there wont be a distinction btween them, in Deuteronomy 12:6 and Malachi 3:8
Tithing, especially taxed, mandatory or obligatory tithe, DOES NOT give you security against satan
Even voluntary tithing doesnt do that
Placing yourselves under God's authority and resisting the satan, is the security against and/or for satan running away from you

And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.
- Genesis 35:12

And the LORD said unto him,
This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying,
I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.

- Deuteronomy 34:4

Jacob did not tithe
Jacob did not tithe because it was going to be the Israelite that wasn't born yet who will do the tithing
The seed from which the Israelites came was in Jacob's body
It is this seed 430 years plus later who will take up arms, go to fight and winning battle fight(s) or war to have the land

The format of how the tithe vow will be claimed by God took a different turn because of the Israelite's flagrant and offending golden calf misbehaviour

It was under the present circumstances, that Jesus says to tithe, not after
The Greek original word, "die", used in Matthew 23:23, means, it is necessary, that they tithe
but when that necessity is over, that duty or responsibility for them to do it, is no longer required

No principle of faith about tithing or to tithe was revealed through Abraham.
Abraham, simply was following a custom practice that needed to be carried after successful win(s) of fighting a battle or war

Jesus, in in Matthew 23:23, wasnt and didnt say give ecclesiastical tithe

Ecclesiastical tithe, is where a christian gathering, taxes its members tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 2:54pm On Nov 30, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
The only tithes to God are:
1) the Levitical tithe aka Mosaic Law tithe, which are given to the priest (e.g. Levite)
and
2) the Abraham type of tithe, given to a priest cum king (i.e. Melchizedek)
- see #3 below

Other tithes in a secular world context (i.e. tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1) are given
1) at pagan temples to priest(s) (note extra biblical references will be provided upon request, same with #3 below)
2) Upon the king's demand's (note bible references will be provided upon request)
3) to local ruler cum priest worthy of the consideration, after taking up arms, go to fight and winning battle fight(s) or war

1) There is obligatory tithe imposed by the Mosaic law (i.e. the Levitical tithe also known as the Mosaic Law tithe)
2) There is obligatory tithe imposed by the christian gatherings law
(i.e. ecclesiastical tithe, where christian gatherings, taxes its members tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income)
3) There is obligatory tithe imposed by custom law (i.e. Abraham's tithing was done, due to the social setting of that time)
4) There is obligatory tithe imposed by monarchy law (i.e. tenth of seed and of vineyards, given to the king's officials and servants)

Now, there is another, which is voluntary tithe,
The nuance in this sort of tithe or tithing, is that it isn't imposed by the Mosaic law, not by christian gatherings law or by any custom law
It so happens or occurs, when FREELY, one DECIDES to GIVE, a tenth of one's financial standing,
as a form of contribution or donation toward's Kingdom purposes, aid or means

In fact, it's tithing subtle difference, is that it is NOT obligatory or imposed

Bible writers and God use the terms, tenth and tithe interchangeably
So if I voluntarily give 10%, a tenth or 10 out 100 of my money contribution or donation toward's Kingdom purposes, aid or means,
I technically have given a tithe,
Considering that it is not a taxed, obligatory or imposition tithe, then I am free, to go ahead giving it

All tithes or tithings, are a form of giving
but NOT all giving are a tenth, tithe or tithing
because the giving could more or less than a tenth, tithe or tithing

The Bible's message today, is about a revolutionary way of giving, where believers are instructed or urged as in 2 Corinthians 9:7 above

Giving could be 50% today, as in 50% equals half of your money
Giving could be 10% next month, as in 10% equals a tithe, tenth, or 10 out 100 of your money (i.e. voluntary tithe, voluntarily giving 10%)
Giving could be 100% following month, as in 100%, equals all of your money
Giving could be 0% following month after, as in 0%, equals zero goes out of your money
Could decide to give 1% month following after, as in 1%, equals 1 out 100 of your money
The giving cycle is not fixed, it might repeat or not repeat itself
How much you give, changes according to the ammount or percentage, you willingly decide to give

It is the freedom, to give whatever you're comfortable with cheerfully
This sort of giving regardless of the percentages is desirable but not obligatory
Without stipulating amounts to give, you're are being trusted to know, to do the 3 right things

You must each decide in your heart how much to give.
And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure.
(i.e. you shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give)
"For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."

- 2 Corinthians 9:7

It is obligatory, taxed or imposed tithing that Christians cannot tithe

It is imposed tithing, which is dead with the law
and believers are not obligated to perform any form of imposed tithing

Anyone giving imposed tithing is practising a religion, that God our Father doesnt accept as pure and faultless

Correctively, the Bible teaches the "church" the revolutionary way of giving,
where believers are instructed or urged in 2 Corinthians 9:7 above, to do

2 Corinthians 9:7, by the way actually, is a rehashed principle God HAS always endorsed,
as evident in
Exodus 25:2, Exodus 35:29, Deuteronomy 15:10 & 1 Chronicles 29:9

I am sorry to say, there is an awful lot of empty rhetoric written all over this post
and I believe the reason is due to the low understanding of the meaning ""no one knew Melchizedek birth or death
low understanding of why it was Melchizedek, Abraham opted to give the spoils of war tithe to
low understanding of the customary law behind the tithe Abraham gave
low understanding of the circumstances of how the Levi got given the office of the priesthood
Lots of low understanding

There you will bring your burnt offerings, your sacrifices, your tithes,
your sacred offerings, your offerings to fulfill a vow, your voluntary offerings,
and your offerings of the firstborn animals of your herds and flocks.

- Deuteronomy 12:6

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
- Malachi 3:8

Of course, tithing is not offering, if it was, there wont be a distinction btween them, in Deuteronomy 12:6 and Malachi 3:8

And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.
- Genesis 35:12

And the LORD said unto him,
This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying,
I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.

- Deuteronomy 34:4

Jacob did not tithe
Jacob did not tithe because it was going to be the Israelite that wasn't born yet who will do the tithing
The seed from which the Israelites came was in Jacob's body
It is this seed 430 years plus later who will take up arms, go to fight and winning battle fight(s) or war to have the land

The format of how the tithe vow will be claimed by God took a different turn because of the Israelite's flagrant and offending golden calf misbehaviour

It was under the present circumstances, that Jesus says to tithe, not after
The Greek original word, "die", used in Matthew 23:23, means, it is necessary, that they tithe
but when that necessity is over, that duty or responsibility for them to do it, is no longer required

No principle of faith about tithing or to tithe was revealed through Abraham.
Abraham, simply was following a custom practice that needed to be carried after successful win(s) of fighting a battle or war

Jesus, in in Matthew 23:23, wasnt and didnt say give ecclesiastical tithe

Ecclesiastical tithe, is where a christian gathering, taxes its members tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income

I must admit, your response is well researched and robust. Hope you don't mind help me with scriptural references on the forms of tithes stated there so I can study further.

Just to add...is ecclesiastical tithing in a Christian gathering supported in the scriptures?

Jah bless you smiley

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by paxonel(m): 3:04pm On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

If we go by this your logic, satan will confuse more lazy Christians who depend on some Pastors who do not even know why they are taking Tithes from people in the first place.

There's a bigger picture here which very Few Christians can see.

Right now, Daddy Freeze may seem to be on the side of the poor who Pastors are stealing from, but there's a motive behind it and very few can see it.

Daddy Freeze is not for the poor, but against them.
How do you mean that Daddy freeze is not for the poor?
Daddy freeze says tithe was never for christianity but for old testament.
All the scriptures you quoted in this thread to support tithe are all old testament scriptures confirming what daddy freeze said.

Only that you quoted
Gal 3: 7, 9 say? Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

And you asked the question

Now, as Seeds of Abraham by virtue of our Faith in Christ, are we, or should we be partakers of the Promise made to Him by YHWH?

Now, this is my answer to this your question.
We don't need to pay tithe in order to show that we are partakers of YHWH's promises to Abraham. Infact, it is Abraham that is a partaker of the promise to us through Christ, not we being partaker of abrahamic covenant and the tithe associated with that covenant.
As far as God is concern that covenant and it's tithe is over.
We are far greater than it.

So, do the poor need further deception again after daddy freeze has enlightened them these few days?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:
I must admit, your response is well researched and robust.
Hope you don't mind help me with scriptural references on the forms of tithes stated there so I can study further
List the ones you know and the scriptural references
and the ones you want dont know and want the scriptural references

OkaiCorne:
Just to add...
is ecclesiastical tithing in a Christian gathering supported in the scriptures?

Jah bless you smiley
No, it isn't.
Have you ever heard about the synod of Macon?

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
List the ones you know and the scriptural references
and the ones you want dont know and want the scriptural references

No, it isn't.
Have you ever heard about the synod of Macon?

I've never heard of the Synod of Macon. Please what's a summary of what it's about?

I'll check online in the time being.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 3:46pm On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

that verse you quoted has got nothing to do with tithe!!!!

What does it have anything to do with

Paul himself who wrote that epistle never received tithes from anyone

Tithe is given to God. The administration of it is different

2 Corinthians 9:7New International Version (NIV)
7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

That’s for collection for the saints

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Existence Of A God Does NOT Solve The Moral Dilemma / Ages Of Prophets / Daily Devotional (A Gathering Of Eagles)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.