Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,575 members, 7,820,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? (12879 Views)

Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion / Bishop Oyedepo: 'If You Don't Pay Tithe, You Are Permanently A Beggar' / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 7:47am On Nov 30, 2017
Pls, if you come in here and are interested in presenting your points, pls do so with scriptures not empty baseless points. thank you

As a Christian, should i pay Tithe? and to who?

This question will follow another question which will lead me to answering the question. The question is, As a Christian, am i a Seed of Abraham?

What does Gal 3: 7, 9 say? Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Now, as Seeds of Abraham by virtue of our Faith in Christ, are we, or should we be partakers of the Promise made to Him by YHWH?

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Galatians:3:8-9

The above Scripture says, I'm Justified by Faith to be a Seed of Abraham.

As Children and Seeds of Abraham through faith in Christ, are we included in the ordinances of the Covenant made by God with Abraham?

Is Tithing One of such ordinances?

Was Tithing part of the law of Moses? Or, Did Tithing originate with Levi?

Tithing is not part of the law given to Moses, Precedes and transcends the Dispensation of the Law given to Moses.

Tithing began here and Levi or Moses wasn't born yet.
Genesis:14:18-20
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Levi who was given the office of the priesthood to take Tithes was a third generation descendant of Abraham who Paid Tithe to Melchizedek the High Priest of the Most High God.

Who was Melchizedek?

Where did he come from to take Tithe from Abraham?

Where did he go after that? because no one ever heard of him again after that.

It says, he was the King of Salam. Where was this kingdom of salem?

Was it an Earthly Kingdom?

Salem means peace. So, he was the King of Peace.

Abraham paid Tithe to this High Priest, and that act was recognised by YHWH, long before Levi the great grand son of Abraham was born.

TO BE CONT.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Edopesin: 7:49am On Nov 30, 2017
*Enters Thread*
*Gets The Fak Awt*
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by xreal: 7:50am On Nov 30, 2017
Follow ur mind and take this tithe hullabaloo off the air. Abeg.

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 8:07am On Nov 30, 2017
CONT...

For those Christians who argue that Tithing is not mentioned or taught in the new Testament, let us now allow Scriptures to interpret other scriptures and gives us understanding of what the Holy Spirit expects of us as His followers in the New Testament.

Hebrew 7:9.
And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

The Holy Spirit says that Levi, the priest who took Tithes in the Law of Moses, paid Tithe while he was still in Abraham, how can anyone then say Tithing started with Levi?

Every High Priest is picked or chosen by God and given instructions on how to mediate between Him and His people.

When God chose Levi to collect Tithe, He didn't indicate that the Tithe belonged to Levi. He said, "That they maybe provisions in 'my' house".

Levi just acted in that office, just like Prophet Moses acted and functioned in his.

Tithe is not paid to MAN BUT TO YHWH, and He is eternal.

Hebrew 7:17
For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

Melchizedek was a High Priest of Most High God who had no beginning or ending. No father, no mother, he had no end if days and was made as like the Son of God who remains a priest forever.

The Priesthood of Melchizedek is likened to that of Christ's.

To Be Cont.

2 Likes

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Mailthaddeus(m): 8:32am On Nov 30, 2017
YES.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 8:43am On Nov 30, 2017
Cont...

IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN, you ought to know that the Priesthood of Christ is different from the Levitical Priesthood, becos, the levitical Priesthood is traced to Levi, the third Son of Jacob. But, Christ is a descendant of Judah, the 4th Son of Jacob, and Judah's Sons were never priests.

Why then will God confer the Priesthood status on Christ?
This is to show that the New Covenant promised by God to establish was confirmed. Priesthood shifted from Levi to Jesus Christ, the Mediator of the New Covenant.

Jeremiah 31:31-37
[b]Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:

If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.[/b]

The order of Priesthood of Christ is not according to the Levitical Priesthood where when a priest dies, the office gets shifted to another person. The Priesthood of Christ is after the Priesthood of Melchizedek and this Order is ETERNAL.

SO, If Christ a Priest in the Order of Melchizedek, it then means Tithes are to be paid to Christ and no more to the Levites, reasoning being that, the priesthood has been annihilated and done away with.

But, someone will ask me, 'Did Christ ever take Tithe from His people while He was alive?'.

My answer to that will be, no. The reason is, until He died, the New Covenant promised by YHWH in Jeremiah 31 had not been enacted yet. He was not the High Priest yet.

Hebrews:9:14
How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Christ became a High Priest when He had offered his blood in the Original Tabernacle was is in Heaven.

In Matt 23:23, Jesus commended those who paid Tithe as doing well, but that they shouldn't have neglected other ordnances, like giving to the poor and helpless, being in passing judgements etc.

In conclusion, let us take this matter into consideration, why did the Holy Spirit bring the issue of Tithing in Hebrew? If it the motive was to teach us the Eternal Priesthood of Christ, He would have just explained the Melchizedek's Priesthood and how it relates to Christ' , not go back to Abraham and talk about Tithing.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 9:08am On Nov 30, 2017
CONT...

The old Covenant had a High Priest who mediated for his people by going imto the temple once a year to do the atonements, If Christ is our High Priest and if we are partakers of the New Covenant with Christ as a Priest, then, we ought to do what is expected of us.

Our Tithe is to Christ, the eternal High Priest, not to Levi, we are not of that Covenant.

God is not a fool to change his covenant from Levi to Christ. He is always in the right.

And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.
Malachi:2:1

If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.
Malachi:2:2

Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.
Malachi:2:3

Are you as a Christian a Priest?

In the old Covenant, YHWH chose priests with only One High Priest above them.

In this New Covenant, we are all Priest, with only Christ above us as a High Priest.

So, Malachi is referring to you if you dishonour God. Maybe you shd go figure out the ways you dishonour God.

[b] It is very important to note that we are not Tithing to pastors but to Christ our High Priest. But, if any man of God misuses God's Money, God knows how to hold his servants accountable for their misdemeanors.

A clear example is in 1Samuel 3 down. Eli's sons who were the servants of God in the Temple, did as they pleased with the Tithes, offerings and sacrifices the People of God, brought to the house of God. They went as far as having sex with ladies who came into the Temple to offer sacrifices, God saw all and kept quiet.

The Israelites, knew wat was going on, they complained to Eli their father, who had lost control over his sons, nothing changed. God still kept quiet.

But, they Israelites did not stop bringing their sacrifices or Tithes to God's House because the servants of God were misusing it. They kept their part of the deal. because Tithing is a mark of obedience more than anything else.

In due time, They received the just recommence of their reward for their evil and stupidity.

Christians, do not allow satan and his agents confuse you and lead you away from obeying God.

Tithing gives you security against satan, but satam wants you exposed to him, hence the attempt to confuse you and keep you from paying your Tithe.

YOU DON'T GIVE TITHE, IT'S NOT A OFFERING, IT'S A DEBT, IT'S A COMMAND by God, it is an everlasting ordinance. It doesn't stop as the Priesthood of Christ doesn't stop.

Shalom.

CC: Ubendictus
Okaicorne, i decided to open a thread so, pls come in here lets talk.

ask all your questions with the Bible as the base.

Thanks.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by hopefulLandlord: 9:16am On Nov 30, 2017
I would like Muttleylaff to grace this thread

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 9:27am On Nov 30, 2017
Great job analize701

Two Questions

1) Can Principles remain the same but methods to adhering to those principles be changed and upgraded?

2) Are we in the dispensation of the Law or in the dispensation of the Holy Spirit?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 9:30am On Nov 30, 2017
Mailthaddeus:
YES.
Brethren, Yes is not an enough answer reasons being that, right now, a lot of Baby Christians are confused and are going to be thrown off balance, this indeed is Satan's strategy, so pls back your yes up.

Why should you as a Christian pay Tithe?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 9:32am On Nov 30, 2017
Edopesin:
*Enters Thread*
*Gets The Fak Awt*
Good bye, and may the sand which accompanied you in here go out with you. Amen.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 9:36am On Nov 30, 2017
xreal:
Follow ur mind and take this tithe hullabaloo off the air. Abeg.
If we go by this your logic, satan will confuse more lazy Christians who depend on some Pastors who do not even know why they are taking Tithes from people in the first place.

There's a bigger picture here which very Few Christians can see.

Right now, Daddy Freeze may seem to be on the side of the poor who Pastors are stealing from, but there's a motive behind it and very few can see it.

Daddy Freeze is not for the poor, but against them.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 9:44am On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

If we go by this your logic, satan will confuse more lazy Christians who depend on some Pastors who do not even know why they are taking Tithes from people in the first place.

There's a bigger picture here which very Few Christians can see.

Right now, Daddy Freeze may seem to be on the side of the poor who Pastors are stealing from, but there's a motive behind it and very few can see it.

Daddy Freeze is not for the poor, but against them.

Hi, please don't be distracted, just pretend its me and you here for now.

Thanks.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 9:47am On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:
Great job analize701

Two Questions

1) Can Principles remain the same but methods to adhering to those principles be changed and upgraded?

2) Are we in the dispensation of the Law or in the dispensation of the Holy Spirit?

Thank you brother. To God be the Glory.

And to your questions.

Principles: What are Principles (Biblical Principles)

Principles are fundamental truths or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning.

Going by the definition, it means Principles forms the foundation upon which beliefs are built.

Can the foundation of a house change with time?
So, the answer to the first question is NO.

GOD, the same yesterday, today and forever.

Giving is a principle, forgiveness is a principle, Love is a Principe, sowing and reaping are principles, the way they were done by Abraham our Father of Faith is how we his Children shd do them.

2ndly, Yes, we are in the Dispensation of the Church and the Holy Spirit is the Custodian of the Church Age.

God Bless you.

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 9:49am On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Hi, please don't be distracted, just pretend its me and you here for now.
Thanks.
Okay.lol.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:00am On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

Thank you brother. To God be the Glory.

And to your questions.

Principles: What are Principles (Biblical Principles)

Principles are fundamental truths or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning.

Going by the definition, it means Principles forms the foundation upon which beliefs are built.

Can the foundation of a house change with time?
So, the answer to the first question is NO.

GOD, the same yesterday, today and forever.

Giving is a principle, forgiveness is a principle, Love is a Principe, sowing and reaping are principles, the way they were done by Abraham our Father of Faith is how we his Children shd do them.

2ndly, Yes, we are in the Dispensation of the Church and the Holy Spirit is the Custodian of the Church Age.

God Bless you.

God bless you my brother.

The foundation (Principles) cannot change, but do you agree that the methods of achieving these principles can be modified and upgraded over time such that there is a continuous improvement from good to better to best?

e.g. Law(good) ---->Cross(better)----->Crown(best)

Bear in mind that these improvements would not necessarily contradict its previous form, but would only enhance it. Do you agree?

In addition, just to build up on your answer to my question, if we are in the era of the Holy Spirit, doesn't the direction from the Holy Spirit supercede the requirements of the LAW?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Mailthaddeus(m): 10:14am On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

Brethren, Yes is not an enough answer reasons being that, right now, a lot of Baby Christians are confused and are going to be thrown off balance, this indeed is Satan's strategy, so pls back your yes up.

Why should you as a Christian pay Tithe?

I should tight Cos when God paid His tithe, He gave his all! He tithed with everything, His very own begotten son. And it is a commandment for Christians to tithe. In the old testaments, the isreallites tithed and Enjoyed God's glory. I tithe, and will continue to do so.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:22am On Nov 30, 2017
Mailthaddeus:

I should tight Cos when God paid His tithe, He gave his all! He tithed with everything, His very own begotten son. And it is a commandment for Christians to tithe. In the old testaments, the isreallites tithed and Enjoyed God's glory. I tithe, and will continue to do so.

This is a very good perspective, but please don't use the word tithe.

God gave his most treasured property to Humanity and not to the ancient physical Temple. We should follow the same example (giving model) and give our all to the benefit of Humanity...and not a necessarily a physical church.

What shall it profit a man to ignore a starving orphan or a wailing widow and give offerings and tithes in church?

This is a matter of eternal priorities. As Jesus rightly said, there are weightier matters (more critical priorities) that should be focused on before you start thinking of "tithing". It is those weightier matters that pleases the heart of God.

Giving to the church is very very good, but the method of collecting money from parishioners through "tithes" is deception. Rather, giving should be done from a cheerful heart and not as an obligation of avoiding a fictitious devourer.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Mailthaddeus(m): 10:29am On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

This is a very good perspective, but please don't use the word tithe.

God gave his most treasured property to Humanity and not the ancient physical Temple. We should follow the same example (giving model) and give our all to the benefit of Humanity...and not a necessarily a physical church.

What shall it profit a man to ignore a starving orphan or a wailing widow and give offerings and tithes in church?

This is a matter of eternal priorities.

Giving to the church is very very good, but the method of collecting money from parishioners through "tithes" is deception. Rather, giving should be done from a cheerful heart and not as an obligation of avoiding a fictitious devourer.

Whether u like it or not, there will always be poor people around u. Malachi 3:10 says" Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in!. If this is God's word, why should I hesitate to bring. Whether humanity is faced wit hardship or abundance, God's house must always be filled with plenty food, cos we operate on a different economy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:36am On Nov 30, 2017
Mailthaddeus:

Whether u like it or not, there will always be poor people around u. Malachi 3:10 says" Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in!. If this is God's word, why should I hesitate to bring. Whether humanity is faced wit hardship or abundance, God's house must always be filled with plenty food, cos we operate on a different economy.

If you insist on keeping the requirements of the law, then you must obey it to the last letter so you do not disobey God.

1) Can you point to a scriptural reference where tithes were paid in monetary form as opposed to food crops and livestock?

2) Do you know that based on the Law, if you do not pay your tithes in the prescribed format, you are disobeying God...yet thinking you are pleasing Him?

3) After God gave precise instructions on how tithes should be paid, did the bible precisely state anywhere that tithes can be paid to anyone except the Levites i.e. Pastors, Apostles, Rabbis, Pharisees, Scribes, Prophets?

4) In the time of Malachi, was there a Church that collected tithes...or was it an Old testament temple?

Let us be careful not to pour old wine in new wineskin

You can give to Church, but don't deceive yourself that you are tithing. That's just it. Then there's also priorites involved.

Humanity takes precedence over offerings and all of that...

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Mailthaddeus(m): 10:49am On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

If you insist on keeping the requirements of the law, then you must obey it to the last letter so you do not disobey God.

1) Can you point to a scriptural reference where tithes were paid in monetary form as opposed to food crops and livestock?

2) Do you know that based on the Law, if you do not pay your tithes in the prescribed format, you are disobeying God...yet thinking you are pleasing Him?

3) After God gave precise instructions on how tithes should be paid, did the bible precisely state anywhere that tithes can be paid to anyone except the Levites i.e. Pastors, Apostles, Rabbis, Pharisees, Scribes, Prophets?

4) In the time of Malachi, was there a Church that collected tithes...or was it an Old testament temple?

Let us be careful not to pour old wine in new wineskin

Livestock's and food items are bought with money, they are inter-conversible. U dont expect a banker to pay tithe in goat and cow. We are not keeping any law to d letter, I only pointed out that giving to God whether through, ur money, talent or time is an art of giving. And it is encouraged. If u don't wanna pay tithe, don't pay, but leave those who wanna pay to pay.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:52am On Nov 30, 2017
Mailthaddeus:

Livestock's and food items are bought with money, they are inter-conversible. U dont expect a banker to pay tithe in goat and cow. We are not keeping any law to d letter, I only pointed out that giving to God whether through, ur money, talent or time is an art of giving. And it is encouraged. If u don't wanna pay tithe, don't pay, but leave those who wanna pay to pay.

In ancient Israel, money was there in the form of gold and silver, but why did God specifically require tithes to be paid in food and livestock format?

And why are you going against this instruction from God if indeed you are tithing?

There's a scriptural reference that states that if your tithes is far from the temple, convert it to money and when you reach the temple, use the money to buy food and livestock. Why are you not doing this if you are really tithing?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 10:56am On Nov 30, 2017
I hope you know your father Abraham also practised circumcision and burnt offering before the law yet it did not stop Paul from condemning circumcision in the letter to galatians?

Genesis 17
The Covenant of Circumcision

17 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty[a]; walk before me faithfully and be blameless. 2 Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”

3 Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. 5 No longer will you be called Abram[b]; your name will be Abraham,[c] for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. 7 I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. 8 The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.”

9 Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner—those who are not your offspring. 13 Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

15 God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”

17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”

19 Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac.[d] I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.” 22 When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.

23 On that very day Abraham took his son Ishmael and all those born in his household or bought with his money, every male in his household, and circumcised them, as God told him. 24 Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised, 25 and his son Ishmael was thirteen; 26 Abraham and his son Ishmael were both circumcised on that very day. 27 And every male in Abraham’s household, including those born in his household or bought from a foreigner, was circumcised with him

Galatians 5 2-12
Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 “A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.” 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion, whoever that may be, will have to pay the penalty. 11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 11:04am On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
I hope you know your father Abraham also practised circumcision and burnt offering before the law yet it did not stop Paul from condemning circumcision in the letter to galatians?

Genesis 17
The Covenant of Circumcision

17 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty[a]; walk before me faithfully and be blameless. 2 Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.”

3 Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. 5 No longer will you be called Abram[b]; your name will be Abraham,[c] for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. 7 I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. 8 The whole land of Canaan, where you now reside as a foreigner, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.”

9 Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner—those who are not your offspring. 13 Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

15 God also said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”

17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”

19 Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac.[d] I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.” 22 When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.

23 On that very day Abraham took his son Ishmael and all those born in his household or bought with his money, every male in his household, and circumcised them, as God told him. 24 Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised, 25 and his son Ishmael was thirteen; 26 Abraham and his son Ishmael were both circumcised on that very day. 27 And every male in Abraham’s household, including those born in his household or bought from a foreigner, was circumcised with him

Galatians 5 2-12
Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 “A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.” 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion, whoever that may be, will have to pay the penalty. 11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

Exactly what I've been telling the tithing crew.

Same Principle, but better methods of adhering to that Principle comes up over time.

Abraham did a physical circumcision based on the requirements of the old covenant BUT
The Apostles spoke of a circumcision of the Heart (mind) in the new covenant. The emphasis was no longer on physical circumcision...but on a circumcision of the heart, which is a more critical priority.

EVEN GOD KNOWS CHANGE IS CONSTANT INASMUCH THAT HE NEVER CHANGES grin

Why settle for good when there is better and best?

May God help us all...
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 11:07am On Nov 30, 2017
OkaiCorne:

God bless you my brother.

I'm a Sister. lol.

OkaiCorne:

The foundation (Principles) cannot change, but do you agree that the methods of achieving these principles can be modified and upgraded over time such that there is a continuous improvement from good to better to best?

e.g. Law(good) ---->Cross(better)----->Crown(best)
No. YHWH ways are Yes and Amen forever.

I'm sensing you are coming from the angle of the New covenant replacing the old[?] If that is the case, then we will need to explain why there was need for the replacement, not modification.

The Son of God being crucified on the cross has no special spiritual significance. We Christians took it up gallantly showing our enemy that we are not shamed of what he meant to use as an instrument of shame against us. Just like, we took the Title 'Christian'. It was meant to berate and disparage us.
It was used as a term of ridicule and stigmatization, it was meant to tag us as absurd and cause us to be treated as Outcasts, but we took it up gallantly and today we celebrate it.

There's no Christian in the Spirit realm. We are known and identified by our spiritual birth, not by that title.

Hence, the ways of God doesn't improve becos He is not an imperfect God from the outset.
The crown comes when this race is over, not at the middle of it.

[quote author=OkaiCorne post=62845866]
Bear in mind that these improvements would not necessarily contradict its previous form, but would only enhance it. Do you agree?
My brother, reading my Bible, i have not come across anything that hints that God's ways shall be improved on.

To understand whole God and us issue, you'd need to know that the whole thing is about 'A King and his Kingdom, and how he intends that his subjects live in his kingdom. His ways are changeable.

OkaiCorne:

In addition, just to build up on your answer to my question, if we are in the era of the Holy Spirit, doesn't the direction from the Holy Spirit supersede the requirements of the LAW?
Yes it does. That is because, the Law had no force/agent or an enabler behind it, but the Church does (The Holy Spirit)

What is the requirement of the law?

The law required it's adherents to be guilty, as their sins were never erased, but just covered. And they were to keep coming with blood to cover their transgressions but leaves their guilty conscience raw and exposed.

But the Holy Spirit Justifies us and makes us come by as though we never sinned.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 11:14am On Nov 30, 2017
analize701:

I'm a Sister. lol.

Oops...my bad sister smiley

I totally agree with the fact that there is nothing like "Christians" in the spiritual realm of Heaven. I was discussing in that way just to make our conversation smoother. I guess we can go on a deeper level now. smiley

Read the Bible again, you'll see a beautiful interwoven pattern of continuous improvements on the principles God laid out;

1) Sacrifice = Animal Sacrifice (Old Covenant) vs Death of Jesus (New Covenant)
2) Circumcision = Physical (Old Covenant) vs Heart & Mind (New Covenant)
3) Giving = Offerings and Tithes (Old Covenant) vs Sacrificial giving to the less privileged & Communal giving and sharing amongst the brethren in the Church (New Covenant).

It does not mean that the Old Covenant is useless e.g. animal sacrifice still works very well in the kingdom of darkness. But why settle for good when there is better and best?

The LAW was meant for Israel, but the Spirit of the Eternal Creator(Holy Spirit) was meant for all of Humanity (those that are ready to accept it...irrespective of your background)

There are continuous improvements, because the Eternal Creator knows change is constant...only HE never changes.

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 11:17am On Nov 30, 2017
Yes of course Christians are supposed to pay tithes . Tithes and offerings are spiritual principles in worshiping God .
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by PaChukwudi44(m): 11:18am On Nov 30, 2017
petra1:

Yes of course Christians are supposed to pay tithes . Tithes and offerings are spiritual principles in worshiping God .

kindly provide proof

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 11:19am On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

kindly provide proof

I just tire my brother. There is a best option out there, but people just want to be stuck on the good option, since it's their comfort zone.

It's well.

The video below is from a Torah expert who can give everyone on this thread the biblical perspective on tithing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGQsL9HE90o
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by spongeisback: 11:38am On Nov 30, 2017
I am a child of Abraham. Dear pastors wait till I win a war then I will pay tithe like my father Abraham did. Amen. Genesis 14:18-20.....
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 11:39am On Nov 30, 2017
spongeisback:
I am a child of Abraham. Dear pastors wait till I win a war then I will pay tithe like my father Abraham did. Amen.

Chai! this guy no kill person with laugh na grin grin
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 11:50am On Nov 30, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

kindly provide proof

God says when you don’t tithe and give offerings you rob him

Malachi 3:8
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me.
But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee?
In tithes and offerings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

How Do We Know That Jesus Is The Son Of God? / Daily Fountain Devotional Guide 2019 (Anglican Communion) / Good Morning Prayers : May The Lord Make His Face To Shine Upon You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.