Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? (12920 Views)

Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion / Bishop Oyedepo: 'If You Don't Pay Tithe, You Are Permanently A Beggar' / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by spongeisback: 3:14pm On Dec 04, 2017
petra1:

He did
You're always littering this section with biblical verses. Now is the time I need that your purple colored comments more. Show me where Jacob redeemed his vow in the bible.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 6:46pm On Dec 04, 2017
spongeisback:

You're always littering this section with biblical verses.

I deserve commendation . Bible verse is better than abuses

Now is the time I need that your purple colored comments more

grin grin grin grin grin

Show me where Jacob redeemed his vow in the bible.

you don't need purple verses to know that Jacob did his vow Except you want to get legalistic . Every bible scholar knows God doesn't joke with vows and covenant . The sentence of such is death. Moses almost got killed by God for not fulfilling circumcusion of his son as God and Abraham agreed.

Ecclesiastes 5:6
Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?

JACOB VOWED "

Genesis 28:21-22
So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

GOD REMINDED HIM

Genesis 31:13
I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred.

GOD COMMADED HIM TO GO AND PERFORM IT

Genesis 35:1-4
And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy

JACOB INFORMED HIS HOUSEHOLD HIS INTENTION

Genesis 35:3
And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went

JACOB PERFORMED HIS VOW

Genesis 35:6-7
So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan, that is, Bethel, he and all the people that were with him. And he built there an altar, and called the place Elbethel: because there God appeared unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by spongeisback: 7:39pm On Dec 04, 2017
petra1:

I deserve commendation . Bible verse is better than abuses

grin grin grin grin grin

you don't need purple verses to know that Jacob did his vow Except you want to get legalistic . Every bible scholar knows God doesn't joke with vows and covenant . The sentence of such is death. Moses almost got killed by God for not fulfilling circumcusion of his son as God and Abraham agreed.

Ecclesiastes 5:6
Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?

JACOB VOWED "

Genesis 28:21-22
So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

GOD REMINDED HIM

Genesis 31:13
I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred.

GOD COMMADED HIM TO GO AND PERFORM IT

Genesis 35:1-4
And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy

JACOB INFORMED HIS HOUSEHOLD HIS INTENTION

Genesis 35:3
And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went

JACOB PERFORMED HIS VOW

Genesis 35:6-7
So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan, that is, Bethel, he and all the people that were with him. And he built there an altar, and called the place Elbethel: because there God appeared unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother.
SIX bible verses and NON did Jacob redeem the 10 Percent vow he made. Please how is building an altar performing his vow? Come on you can do better than this.
1) he promised to give a tenth
2) God said anoint the pillar where thou vowest to me as a reminder.
3) go to bethel and make an altar
4) he went to bethel and made an altar
5) he built an altar

So where was it written that he gave the tenth he promised.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 7:52pm On Dec 04, 2017
spongeisback:
SIX bible verses and NON did Jacob redeem the 10 Percent vow he made. Please how is building an altar performing his vow? Come on you can do better than this.
1) he promised to give a tenth
2) God said anoint the pillar where thou vowest to me as a reminder.
3) go to bethel and make an altar
4) he went to bethel and made an altar
5) he built an altar

So where was it written that he gave the tenth he promised.

He fulfilled all together. Are you insinuating he didn't fulfill his vow
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by spongeisback: 7:53pm On Dec 04, 2017
petra1:

He fulfilled all together.
I need a bible verse that said Jacob built the altar and fulfilled his vow...I am not insinuating, it's obvious from all the verses you've posted that he never did. So I am waiting for new verses.

1 Like

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 9:21pm On Dec 04, 2017
petra1:
He fulfilled all together. Are you insinuating he didn't fulfill his vow
No, not insinuating, but rather outrightly telling you Jacob DID NOT fulfil all together.
He couldn't because God too hadn't fulfil His part of the deal where God said He will give the land to Jacob's descendants

It was 430 plus years later, that Jacob, as a nation Israel, was able to fulfil the tithe vow

spongeisback:
I need a bible verse that said Jacob built the altar and fulfilled his vow...I am not insinuating, it's obvious from all the verses you've posted that he never did. So I am waiting for new verses.
Don't hold your breath unless you want him to conjure up an imaginary bible verse.

Hell will have to first freeze over before you get sight of that bible verse

2 Likes

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 6:11am On Dec 05, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
No, not insinuating, but rather outrightly telling you Jacob DID NOT fulfil all together.
He couldn't because God too hadn't fulfil His part of the deal where God said He will give the land to Jacob's descendants

Kindly note Jacob vow was not based on the condition of land possession but blessing and safety

Genesis 28:20-22 (KJV)
And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 8:58am On Dec 05, 2017
petra1:
Kindly note Jacob vow was not based on the condition of land possession but blessing and safety

Genesis 28:20-22 (KJV)
And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
10Then Jacob departed from Beersheba and went toward Haran.
11He came to a certain place and spent the night there, because the sun had set; and he took one of the stones of the place and put it under his head, and lay down in that place.
12He had a dream, and behold, a ladder was set on the earth with its top reaching to heaven; and behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
13And behold, the LORD stood above it and said, “I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie, I will give it to you and to your descendants.
14“Your descendants will also be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and in you and in your descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
15“Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”
16Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it.”
17He was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.”

- Genesis 28:10-17

18So Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on its top.
19He called the name of that place Bethel; however, previously the name of the city had been Luz.
20Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will keep me on this journey that I take, and will give me food to eat and garments to wear,
21and I return to my father’s house in safety, then the LORD will be my God.
22This stone, which I have set up as a pillar, will be God’s house,
and of ALL that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.”

- Genesis 28:18-22

Petra1, petra1, petra1
Petra1, the brother, whom in spite of our ecclesiastical tithe,
where christian gatherings, taxes its members tenth, 1/10, 10% of their financial income,
or taxed, obligatory or mandatory tithe differences, I still love and hugely respect,
but cant you see this is a two-pronged vow?

OK, lets compare notes

Dont you see that Jacob made a two-pronged vow
He made the vows on his own accord, without being forced or required
and for this reason was able to specify the terms or conditions of the vows he made.

The "and" in Genesis 28:22, separates each of the two vows
The first vow, had nothing to do with anything in the dream Jacob had
the second had all and a lot to do with everything in the dream Jacob had

The reality is that, God wasnt actually talking about Jacob personally or directly
God was talking prophetically and talking of the Israel that Jacob will become
It is worth noting that, God didnt even ask for anything in return for this prophetic promise
but Jacob upon waking up, personalised the contents of the dream
he did this by adding more to what God promised
and then laid down a first condition
, that wasnt even in God's prophetic promise
at which he said, if that condition is met, then the LORD will become his God
and he will have a stone set up as a pillar, to be God’s house

It was after looking after his own interest, that he now switched to address the ALL,
as in the content of the dream's prophetic promise
This led to the second vow, and the condition that when this prophetic promise is fulfilled, tithe will be paid on it
This prophetic promise didnt come to pass until 430plus years later, when Israel inherited the Promised Land

"Your name won't be Jacob anymore," the man replied, "but Israel,
because you exerted yourself against both God and men, and you've emerged victorious."

- Genesis 32:28

Upon fighting to inherit the Promised Land, Israel by virtue of a nation, and by virtue of the new name Jacob was given, paid the second vow.
Israel, the Israelites, are the descendants mentioned in the Genesis 28:10-17 dream

Notice in, Genesis 28:10-17, that God appeared to Jacob in a dream, to give Jacob a no strings attached prophetic promise
The contents of the prophetic promise God gave Jacob, in the dream, were:
1) The land on which you lie, I will give it to you and to your descendants
2) Your descendants will also be like the dust of the earth,
and you will spread out to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south;
and in you and in your descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed
3) Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land;
for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

I am concerned that you are singing out of tune from the same hymn sheet every other person is singing beautifully from.
This is why I took a bit considerable length to reproduce the above scriptural verses
and make some explanations, to make things clearer
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Jesusgirl92(f): 9:12am On Dec 05, 2017
Are we still on the tithe issue shocked shocked....?? Good morning brethren...
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 9:50am On Dec 05, 2017
Jesusgirl92:
Are we still on the tithe issue shocked shocked....?? Good morning brethren...
The above will be of interest to you, sister, daughter of Zion
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 31, 2017
analize701:
Pls, if you come in here and are interested in presenting your points, pls do so with scriptures not empty baseless points. thank you

As a Christian, should i pay Tithe? and to who?

This question will follow another question which will lead me to answering the question. The question is, As a Christian, am i a Seed of Abraham?

What does Gal 3: 7, 9 say? Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Now, as Seeds of Abraham by virtue of our Faith in Christ, are we, or should we be partakers of the Promise made to Him by YHWH?

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Galatians:3:8-9

The above Scripture says, I'm Justified by Faith to be a Seed of Abraham.

As Children and Seeds of Abraham through faith in Christ, are we included in the ordinances of the Covenant made by God with Abraham?

Is Tithing One of such ordinances?

Was Tithing part of the law of Moses? Or, Did Tithing originate with Levi?

Tithing is not part of the law given to Moses, Precedes and transcends the Dispensation of the Law given to Moses.

Tithing began here and Levi or Moses wasn't born yet.
Genesis:14:18-20
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Levi who was given the office of the priesthood to take Tithes was a third generation descendant of Abraham who Paid Tithe to Melchizedek the High Priest of the Most High God.

Who was Melchizedek?

Where did he come from to take Tithe from Abraham?

Where did he go after that? because no one ever heard of him again after that.

It says, he was the King of Salam. Where was this kingdom of salem?

Was it an Earthly Kingdom?

Salem means peace. So, he was the King of Peace.

Abraham paid Tithe to this High Priest, and that act was recognised by YHWH, long before Levi the great grand son of Abraham was born.

TO BE CONT.

You sound like analice

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Daily Devotional (A Gathering Of Eagles) / Time And Chance Happeneth To Them All / What Is That Temptation You Regularly Fall For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.