Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,174 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? (30182 Views)

I Want To Leave My Marriage,now Or Later? / Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids For Marriage To Our Daughters / Why Married Men Prefer Us To Their Wives - Commercial Sex Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 20, 2018
tete7000:
Op seems to have problem with the church marriage. His write-up seems to be littered with reference to it as if it is the cause of marital breakups. Sadly, the church values are meant to protect and reinforce integrity of marriage. If people dutifully follow Christian values, problems will disappear in marriages. What kills modern marriages of nowadays is not the Christian aspect of it but secularisation of marriage. The jettison of what Christianity preaches. People go to church, value the social and flamboyant aspect but jettison the core values it expounds.
I laugh when people talk as if traditional values protect marriages better. No, it doesn't. The modern feminist trend is down to the traditional values, as they tend to suppress women and make them nobody in marriage. Many of them endure their marriages but never enjoyed it, they dared not talk about separation because of stigmatisation that is attached to such in traditional settings. When traditional marital values are championed, it is men (of which op is one) that always raise their hands. Why? Because it favours men, you can treat your wives anyhow and no one questions you. That a marriage lasts a lifetime doesn't make it successful. The damages caused by polygamy championed by our traditional value system remained permanent in the lives of women and children that endure such marriage system.
u've typed it all
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
Litblogger:
Well, both have pros and cons.
There is no doubt that the marriage of 'then' used to last longer than the marriage of 'now'. And women used to be extremely loyal and 100% committed to their husbands.
The con is that there wasn't room for "Love". It made marriage seem like a strict contract. It was too traditional. If a lady wasn't a virgin, she was considered worthless. And it was believed that a woman's place was in her husband's kitchen.
I'm too hungry to type too much jare.

Call me weird, but I think I do prefer the marriage of 'then' anyway.

Are you married? And are you still a virgin?
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by SaintHilary(m): 5:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
JamaicanLove:
For me, marriage is overrated. I don't fancy marriage. Its a waste of time.
r
You obviously cant get married
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by EweduAfonja(f): 5:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
dingbang:
its even unwise for a poor man to marry a woman from a wealthy family.

Abeg help me tell them Ooooo...
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by EazyMoh(m): 5:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
KeenMind:
Then, though I'm not even too keen about the whole marriage ish.

Marriage as an institution has outlived it's usefulness long time ago. It's naturally disintegrating gradually. In the next 400-500 years or so, I can bet the last vestiges of the marriage institution will be tossed into the bins of history.
What makes you say that?
Mind you it's not that people don't get married nowadays, it's just the divorce rate that is rampant. Also there are still perks attached to being married that even gays are not content with just being living with their partners, but they want be recognized as being legally married.
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by KeenMind(m): 5:07pm On Feb 20, 2018
EazyMoh:

What makes you say that?
Mind you it's not that people don't get married nowadays, it's just the divorce rate that is rampant. Also there are still perks attached to being married that even gays are not content with just being living with their partners, but they want be recognized as being legally married.

Why do you think divorce rate is rising?

What are these perks attached to marriage that single folks are not getting and desire?
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by piagetskinner(m): 5:07pm On Feb 20, 2018
these day's young people live in the fantasy world

unrealistic expectations here and there....we want the perfect husband/wife and so any flaw cannot be tolerated...young people lack tolerance...and thats where we are missing it..unlike our old folks..they tolerated in thick and thin

when werealise that nobody is perfect...only then can we have some sort of marriage tranquility

1 Like

Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 20, 2018
Nowadays marriages are being destroyed by climate change caused by corruption in the land.
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by EazyMoh(m): 5:17pm On Feb 20, 2018
KeenMind:

Why do you think divorce rate is rising?

What are these perks attached to marriage that single folks are not getting and desire?
You don't answer question with a question.
But let me answer you anyway, the fact that there is a high rate of divorce doesn't mean people will stop getting married. In fact majority of divorcees even look forward to marrying again. Humans are social beings, and marriage is one of the most ideal ways to socialize.
Perks like acceptance and respect in the society as I mentioned humans are social beings. Employment opportunities economic support as well as business and political alliances.
Now you may answer my question as to why you concluded end of marriage especially as you gave it a timeline.
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by superlanny(m): 5:27pm On Feb 20, 2018
Then is far better, no contest, all this bitches aint loyal...
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Litblogger: 5:28pm On Feb 20, 2018
Jolar101:

Are you married? And are you still a virgin?

Something in my forehead tells me it's none of your business
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 20, 2018
SaintHilary:
r
You obviously cant get married

Shhhhhh... you never can tell.
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by nkemjacob2(m): 6:06pm On Feb 20, 2018
EweduAfonja:
I prefer then....

today some silly men are looking for Rich ladies or a lady from wealthy family.

its rare dear

1 Like

Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by nkemjacob2(m): 6:14pm On Feb 20, 2018
The both have pros and cons, but the marriage of now has lots of disadvantages.

Marriage then, no chance of Knowing each other, courtship (which gives room for both partners to express themselves), in dis aspect the woman is always @ d bad edge cos the man will be seen as him been right always (Africa culture)

Marriage today, furnication has increased, too much knowledge, exorbitant spendings of weddings, d ladies is not ready to bent low for her husband. And one new discovery the ladies want to get married early cos of time factors & fear of age
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by bukatyne(f): 6:38pm On Feb 20, 2018
The marriage of now with the commitment of old.
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by FroshJaynex(m): 6:47pm On Feb 20, 2018
EweduAfonja:
I prefer then....

So u want us to settle down with a liability? if u no get money, hide ur yansh
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Supernatural28(m): 7:01pm On Feb 20, 2018
Well most people are yet to know or would to understand that "White wedding " & "Traditional wedding " are the same!! For goodness sake the traditional wedding is our culture ( the African culture) while the white wedding is the western world traditional marriage. But majority of we Nigerians are yet or will I say don't want to accept the truth. When I see people spend thousands and millions of naira in the name of celebrating and hosting their families and friends in white wedding, I just laugh at their ignorance. After the wedding they go around begging for money.
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by haslaw(m): 7:20pm On Feb 20, 2018
Litblogger:
Well, both have pros and cons.
There is no doubt that the marriage of 'then' used to last longer than the marriage of 'now'. And women used to be extremely loyal and 100% committed to their husbands.
The con is that there wasn't room for "Love". It made marriage seem like a strict contract. It was too traditional. If a lady wasn't a virgin, she was considered worthless. And it was believed that a woman's place was in her husband's kitchen.
I'm too hungry to type too much jare.

Call me weird, but I think I do prefer the marriage of 'then' anyway.

What they didn't have was lust.
They had true and undiluted love. You are mistaken
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Daboomb: 8:19pm On Feb 20, 2018
EweduAfonja:
I prefer then....

Those type of 'boys' really annoy me!
We call then Gigollos and God help any desperate woman that falls into their hands.

But on the flip-side, we also have ladies that setup their Antenna, not for anything else but to 'track rich men', even if they are as old as their Daddy! shocked
Nasty, useless cunts.

All in all, marriage as we know it in the days of our mothers, has lost its value.
It is now all abou tmoney, money, and money.

Money-go, woman-go.
Money-go, love-flies...and it is not just with women but with men also.
Infact, this generation does not know what love means, all they know is "Pin-Number" of your ATM! angry angry shocked undecided
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Litblogger: 9:13pm On Feb 20, 2018
haslaw:

What they didn't have was lust.
They had true and undiluted love. You are mistaken
Okay
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by EweduAfonja(f): 11:06pm On Feb 20, 2018
FroshJaynex:
So u want us to settle down with a liability? if u no get money, hide ur yansh

U need a better shovel to dig more Mr Gold D.
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 20, 2018
Litblogger:

Something in my forehead tells me it's none of your business

Lol
Re: Marriage Now Vs Then – Which Do You Prefer? by Revolva(m): 8:39am On Feb 21, 2018
Nigeria women don make marrying a fearful task

many of them are not worth it....many are just hustlers....banging every men around for material things...after come come marry one innocent man...de give am wahala

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman's Online Boyfriend Turns-Out To Be Ex-husband / Why Women Should Be Financially Independent. / My Dad Often Gets Unclad In The House And I Don't Lyk It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.