Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) (85719 Views)

Lady In Hijab Spotted Riding Keke Napep (Photos) / Amasa Firdausa Finally Called To Bar In Hijab By Nigerian Law School. Photos / Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Abbeysunday(m): 7:37am On Dec 16, 2017
Omotayor123:
I hope this religion issue.. will not bring Nigeria down one day.
Nigerians be carrying religious matter for head like iced water. smiley

The girl is obviously comfortable in her hijab, why not let her be
The hijab doesn't make her less of a lawyer.

So bcuz i feel convenient in my cowskin and cowries den i shud b left alone Lol....Naija and sentiments sha
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by MrAcube(m): 7:43am On Dec 16, 2017
mgbadike81:

Catholic nuns and other Muslim female lawyers like buhari's daughter respects the dress code so why start the disrespect now?

What disrespect? So Buhari's daughter and the nun should be the benchmark for lawyer's dress code. Do u even know there is a constitution that dictates people's conduct in this country.? The question u should ask is "is the constitution respected in this case."
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by mgbadike81: 7:45am On Dec 16, 2017
MrAcube:

What disrespect? So Buhari's daughter and the nun should be the benchmark for lawyer's dress code. Do u even know there is a constitution that dictates people's conduct in this country.? The question u should ask is "is the constitution respected in this case."
that dress code have been in use from the colonial era.that's all I have to say.
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by MrAcube(m): 7:45am On Dec 16, 2017
Abbeysunday:

So bcuz i feel convenient in my cowskin and cowries den i shud b left alone Lol....Naija and sentiments sha

Yes sir, u should b left alone as long as u don't cause problem to d public. That's what fundamental human right is all about.
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Arielle: 7:46am On Dec 16, 2017
I consider myself liberal but I'm begining to wonder if people who assert that we have ZERO in common with our Muslim fellow citizens don't have a point. How can anyone justify such idiocy? Chairman of the NBA? Shameful. Of all professions, the legal profession is the bastion of tradition. Dressing, mode of address and seniority are issues that are very strictly upheld. If you can't follow the law, then you should never seek to join the profession. In the court of law the constitution is sacrosanct. The laws of the land are sacrosanct. The ethics of the profession are unimpeachable. Religious laws do not apply. Leave it outside the courtroom. Someone should have advised the young lady better. She should have known all these before choosing to train as a lawyer. I hope she enjoys her 15 minutes of ignominy.

1 Like

Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by MrAcube(m): 7:49am On Dec 16, 2017
mgbadike81:
that dress code have been in use from the colonial era.that's all I have to say.

If that is true, then I'll suggest u go research UK's tolerance of dressing choice in the courtroom for lawyers and judges alike. UK is our colonial Master àbí, so I think it is only right we learn from our masters.
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by loshybab(m): 7:56am On Dec 16, 2017
pweetiedee:

I'm talking about Khaki here.

As for the white vest and short, buy from home, buy one that covers your body well. I bought mine form home.

I second your 2nd paragraph and as for the 1st, the trouser is still ok for easy training drills.

1 Like

Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 16, 2017
Faizee32:

Where have you been since morning brother... I have to be sincere, everyone against the hijab ish are mostly Christians which is quite understandable. But the fact remains, the dress code of the institution must be respected, therefore she had her hijab underneath the wig, which basically doesn't disturb anything or anyone.
Common she's putting on the gown and wig for crying out loud, it's not her fault if other religions do not have laws on appropriate mode of dressing.

Not just christians bro, Agnostics, Atheists, Freethinkers and Traditionalists also.....If she's allowed to wear her hijabi, then I want to come to the court room in my Jeans, polo and bling bling also.....

1 Like

Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by loshybab(m): 7:59am On Dec 16, 2017
mikedimeji:

I quite agree with u but pending when the provision is made u can’t do others, it’s tegarded as lawlessness.
My major concern here is we are quick to bring religion/ethnicity into everything that happens in Nigeria and it’s really creating problems for us.
I will also agree with you but we all know our country,if things like this don't happen once in a while, tell me what will make them think there has to be some amendments.
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by SuccesYear: 7:59am On Dec 16, 2017
biazarre:
unjust in wat sense? please define unjust..!
please try to understand English words b4 using them on public forum like this...

Nigerian n stupid religious believes...
and it has never stopped us from looting public fund...

can I be enlightened pls exactly where in the constitution that negate right to freedom of religion
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by loshybab(m): 8:00am On Dec 16, 2017
mikedimeji:

I didn’t want to say more than that. When u say she’s the only one that’s “courageous” u are in a way saying others are afraid of going against the laid down rules. Probably everyone should dressed they way they like.
Nah!
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by MrAcube(m): 8:00am On Dec 16, 2017
Arielle:
I consider myself liberal but I'm begining to wonder if people who assert that we have ZERO in common with our Muslim fellow citizens don't have a point. How can anyone justify such idiocy? Chairman of the NBA? Shameful. Of all professions, the legal profession is the bastion of tradition. Dressing, mode of address and seniority are issues that are very strictly upheld. If you can't follow the law, then you should never seek to join the profession. In the court of law the constitution is sacrosanct. The laws of the land are sacrosanct. The ethics of the profession are unimpeachable. Religious laws do not apply. Leave it outside the courtroom. Someone should have advised the young lady better. She should have known all these before choosing to train as a lawyer. I hope she enjoys her 15 minutes of ignominy.

If I get u right u are claiming that the ethics of law profession is so sacrosanct as to take prevalence over the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. Then in that case, what will that make Nigeria, a democracy or a totalitarian state. If the ethics of law profession is so rigid as u want us to believe, then why are our colonial masters whose law we adopt tolerating the so called "unacceptable" dressing in their courtrooms. This is high time we stop our archaic reasoning and step into the 21st century. The constitution is written in simple English for goodness sake
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by skolab4(m): 8:02am On Dec 16, 2017
Most Nigeria Christians lack tolerance , anything about islam , they will become restless and be gossiping up n down.....for God sake what is wrong with that ladies dressing if truly u r a Christian and not just an hypocrite.... Even the hijab is not that visible
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by SuccesYear: 8:03am On Dec 16, 2017
Built2last:
If your religious beliefs forbid you from dressing in a particular way that members of a professional group dress, then it is first of all sinful for you to decide to belong to that profession in disregard to your religion and hope that they will change their standard of dressing to accommodate you. This is what we should be talking about, not about whether or not decision of Body of Benchers was right or wrong.

See your President's daughter last year when she was called to bar.

I have been to Turkey, a country that is 90% Muslim and and they hadly wear hijab. Are they going to hell by Naija Muslims standard.
@ the pic is just like saying because your Pastor or Imam is going to hell then you too is sure of following.

If a man embezzle does that mean u shld follow suit
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by SuccesYear: 8:11am On Dec 16, 2017
Elthugnificent:

Mr Man which part of the quoran said so? I double dare to show me.
this is one out of numerous [al-Noor 24:31

You can grab a copy of Al-Qur'an (eng translation) for easy understanding
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by JesuEruOluwa: 8:12am On Dec 16, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/4236333/argument-over-hijab-needless-address

To embrace diversity tongue tongue tongue

emmanuelex1:
Honestly your comment is the worst I read in this thread. Please Nigeria is secular state.
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by MrAcube(m): 8:12am On Dec 16, 2017
SuccesYear:
@ the pic is just like saying because your Pastor or Imam is going to hell then you too is sure of following.

If a man embezzle does that mean u shld follow suit

Very good response. U make common sense jare
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by JesuEruOluwa: 8:13am On Dec 16, 2017

paulynpen:

I believed you are worse to believe that your Quran should set standards for Nigeria constitution?
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by JesuEruOluwa: 8:14am On Dec 16, 2017

Awoo88:

But the op was drawing justification from USA with a pic that only shows one person standing alone and alluded to her being call to bar. You people just advance different types of moronic argument anytime you decides to replace your brain with Koran. U say "see in so and so place it is allow" and some one else say" see here too is not allow. You go all moronic turning logic on it head. Better sense fall on all of una.
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by SuccesYear: 8:15am On Dec 16, 2017
embraze5:
If you dont want to dress like a soldier, then dont join the army..... If your religion is against how the police behave and dress, then dont join the police in the first place.... If your religion and belief is against prostitution, dont go through the learning process of prostitution and then say u wont sell sex for money.....if u cant dress in the code of those for call to bar, dont study law in the first place!.... Stop the religious blackmail!
Pls whc is supreme here

Constitution or Association Law?
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by JesuEruOluwa: 8:15am On Dec 16, 2017

kenex4ever:
the picture actually refers to you
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by JesuEruOluwa: 8:17am On Dec 16, 2017

zeelo2014:

He was trying to point out that even Buhari's daughter obeyed the law. Obey the law of the land, simple!
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by JesuEruOluwa: 8:18am On Dec 16, 2017

AlanSugar:

"standard for Islamic religious practice"... Are you sure you understood that post?
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Garshyzee(m): 8:18am On Dec 16, 2017
If after studying law fr a long time... She doesn't realize that the law is above ur religion... Then she's not fit to be called to bar... What if she receives a case relating to her religion.. Clearly she'll judge base on sentiment/favoritism .... The law says no hijab when u'r been called to bar..she disobeyed... She's facing d consequences now and some ignorant religionist are kicking against it.... Even deeperlifers that don't put on trousers Beacuse of d church's doctrine, when they go fr nysc they comply because that's d law...

Enough of this irrational rantings joor... She didn't abide with the bar's code of dressing and she paid d consequence... Simple..
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by SuccesYear: 8:19am On Dec 16, 2017
maasoap:

Nigeria constitution is supreme to any fvcking dress code. She should head to court because she has a case. Let's get this settled once and for all. No be today the courts have been ruling in favour of Nigeria Muslim girls and their hijabs. This is another case.
bro I guess u are mixing things up here based on your ascertain. In legal processing as you suggested Constitution favours the young barrister than Ethics of Law extended by(NBA)
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Olabenjamen22(m): 8:19am On Dec 16, 2017
abdoolorunwa:
Ur hatred is written all over u. go study ur bible

Lol, so anyone that's against your stupidity mean he have hatred for you right? Unbelievable.

abdoolorunwa:
flip to deut. 18:18-20 '...what he shall hear he shall speak'. Jesus,son of Mary prophecy

Lol, so it was Jesus that his speaking in deutaronomy. Unbelievable, please where did Jesus prophecy about your gigolo prophet. Lol

abdoolorunwa:
and d quran is proof of d words heard and spoken through our beloved prophet,Muhammad (S.A.W).Can u prove otherwise

Lol,

Deuteronomy 18:18-20 New International Version (NIV)
18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him.

"Is Muhammad an israelite?"

19 I myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name.

"John 12:49 ►
Verse(Click for Chapter)
New International Version
For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.
"

20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.

This verse is talking about your gigolo prophet who relate Allah to YAHWEH, maybe you should do yourself some good by reading the book of Daniel.

LOL, and mind you, you know nothing about the Bible apart from what your imam told you, because if you do, you will no that your quran is nothing but a lieing and deceiver book, which claim Christian worship the father, mother and son, lol unbelievable, if i may ask after you read the Bible, what did the bible Said about the concept of trinity?

abdoolorunwa:
stop d hate and stop being a hypocrate of d bible.we know d bible better
You no nothing about the Bible. Smh
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Elthugnificent(m): 8:20am On Dec 16, 2017
SuccesYear:
this is one out of numerous [al-Noor 24:31

You can grab a copy of Al-Qur'an (eng translation) for easy understanding
You meant Al-nur 24:31 right?
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by SuccesYear: 8:20am On Dec 16, 2017
Abbeysunday:

why not Sire. If it does makes sense to you
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Olabenjamen22(m): 8:25am On Dec 16, 2017
wyqay:
he who hate Islam hate peace and progress

You are talking about the kind of peace and progress in the middle east right?
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by SuccesYear: 8:26am On Dec 16, 2017
Elthugnificent:

You meant Al-nur 24:31 right?
All the best
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Olabenjamen22(m): 8:28am On Dec 16, 2017
oyinda1599:
I don't hate xtianity but I hate u.mtcheeeeeew.

See this mumuslim that don't hate Christianity but have problem with spelling the word Christianity, lol

well, where did the guy said he was a Christian,

when are you people going to learn how to deal with atheist without mentioning Christianity?
Shame
Re: Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) by Elthugnificent(m): 8:29am On Dec 16, 2017
SuccesYear:
All the best

[24:31] Say to the believing men that they restrain their eyes and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Surely, Allah is well aware of what they do.

There is nothing there as expected.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

See Someone's Salary In Kogi State - Photos / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.