Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,104 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl (32527 Views)

Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. / Married But I'm Not Connected With My Husband, Hence I'm Depressed / Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 11:12am On Dec 20, 2017
lastclaire4:

I don't think there is anything seen here. If there is then the mother should come out with a valid reason. After her parents allowed her marry a non-indigene she wants to spoil that of her child cos she is not directly involved. Mtcheew
All I'm saying is, they have more experience and their opinions shouldn't just be waved aside without due consideration.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 11:13am On Dec 20, 2017
iamrammy:
what have they seen in this case, they barely know the girl...
You'll be surprised how much they can learn from just a greeting.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 11:14am On Dec 20, 2017
kense88:
Abeg leave that thing. Stating state of origin and church as a reason, is totally unreasonable and unacceptable. This old people self.I wonder how they would have felt, if there parents kicked against there own marriage.
If it's truly just the state of origin and church, then they may be wrong. But there's hardly a smoke without fire.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 11:16am On Dec 20, 2017
Xisnin:

Many elderly people are unrepentant bigots and myopic.
It is the man that will live with his wife for many years.
If you live your life pleasing elderly people, you are not
living an optimal life.
That statement in itself (not you).
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 11:19am On Dec 20, 2017
Deledeman:

It is the same as saying that, they are very selfish and as such desiressomeone that fits certain current or future criteria of theirs, rather than that of the person who wants to marry and live live with this individual for the rest of their lives.
Maybe, maybe not.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by ola12(m): 11:21am On Dec 20, 2017
Deo1986:
Someone's pained. Hey, opened your eyes. Us logicians dont give fucq 'bout marriage ok? So i think you need a bigger help.
Shurup, u nid help jor. Damn mama's boy

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by ola12(m): 11:22am On Dec 20, 2017
sircrabo:
African parents can be self centered most times. They want things done their way all the time. They make you feel it's for your good but deep down its to satisfy their selfish desire.

And pls ignore that " what an elder see while sitting... bla bla bla " parents and pastors can consent to a marriage and it will still collapse.

I do not see any reason why a man at 30 won't know what's best for him. The men seldom have problems, it's the mothers that fight for their own interest. They want to brag to their friends that " my son is married to a white woman ", " my daughter is married to an oil tycoon "

If you've dated the girl for a while, you love each other, you can manage each others weakness, and you are very sure she makes you happy when no one is around (cause no one will be around) , then proceed with the marriage plans provided their reasons aren't life threatening. I.e madness running in the family, if both parties are AS or SS, if either party is impotent, if either party displays signs of domestic violence, if the man doesn't have a verifiable source of income... but if it's just tribe, religion or any other sentiments then make them see reasons with you and proceed with your plans. Whether or not they bless the union doesn't guarantee how long the marriage will last.

Marry someone that makes you happy when no one is around. After wedding ceremony the reality of the choice you made will set in. Don't marry to make daddy or mummy happy.
Op dis has 2 b 1 of d beta advices here
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by otopxy: 11:39am On Dec 20, 2017
Kekx:

Lies brO!, Big Lie!!

What is it they saw that they can't tell their son, what?
Did they come from the future?

I'm an Igbo man, but I must tell you this, when it comes to religion, marriage, helping and business patnering.

The igbos aren't that united, they do invite tribalism inside a tribe(within themselves)

Don't be surprise his parents reasons might be a result of a dealing they had with anambra fellows in the past.

Bleep whatever they are seeing while squating or shitting.

Africans needs cleansing.
i pity you! don't marry if anyone is insisting you should not marry d said person, cos many things are not said.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by webngnews: 11:41am On Dec 20, 2017
Do it.be a man
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Deo1986(m): 11:56am On Dec 20, 2017
ola12:
Shurup, u nid help jor. Damn mama's boy
My life, not yours cool
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by obimath(m): 2:34pm On Dec 20, 2017
And who told those parents of yours that anambra girls are not good girl.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Abanga444: 2:53pm On Dec 20, 2017
Is it you or your friend,say the truth and advice will come from all angles..dont use your friend
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by greypencils: 11:25pm On Dec 20, 2017
blackbeau1:
this isn't about being a man or not . Whether you like it or not , there's a stronger emotional attachment between you and your family than between you and your wife at least initially . Also apart from the emotional attachment part , if your family starts fighting your wife , if she fights back , the whole world considers her to be ' a disrespectful wore who broke up a family '. So because she can't fight back , the only part of the argument you keep hearing is your family's part. You keep hearing one thing long enough, you are gonna believe it and adopt it .
There has been, and there will always be a little animosity between wives and mothers. The wife sees her man as hers, the mother sees the same man as her son, ditto for the extended family. The extended family will always hold on and want to dictate issues even in that's man immediate family. It is up to a MAN, A REAL MAN, to understand that there must be balance. It is the maintaining of that balance that results into peace and sanity. If that balance is tipped in one way, the other suffers. But still THE REAL MAN would leave his extended family and build his own without intrusion. The bible says so. A MAN would LEAVE his father and mother and CLEAVE to his wife.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by DSHADOWWALKER: 7:52pm On Sep 30, 2019
thesicilian:
Some will say marriage is between you and your partner and your parents have no right to interfere. That may be true, but what an elderly person sees sitting down, a child may not see while standing up

You are really 4ked up.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by DSHADOWWALKER: 7:54pm On Sep 30, 2019
MicheyJ1:
A marriage without the blessings of your parents would never bode well.

Parents or God?? You better deal with all this your fish mentality,what Gof has joined together and declared blissful,who dares put asunder?? And what if his parents arent alive,he won't marry?? Or where is it mandated in the Bible or any. Other holy books that parents determine the blissfulness of marriage?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by DSHADOWWALKER: 7:58pm On Sep 30, 2019
MicheyJ1:

And are you saying there aren't marriages with parent's blessings that end up crashing or all d failed marriages are bkos of d absence of parental blessings?? How old are you??

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by DSHADOWWALKER: 8:54pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tosinex:
If you can talk them into it, good. If not, get a woman your parent want, love is everywhere.

So the main purpose of getting married to someone to soend the rest of your life with you is to please parents??

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Ashaolu123: 12:03pm On Feb 25, 2020
Guy you have to be very carefull because when your parent is telling you things at times you can't tell what they are trying g to do for you it might be two reasons or the other all proverb says if a child is in the bush cutting wood and the father is at with him where the wood will fall to the child can't tell but the father will be able yo i dentify where it will fall to so you have to be very carefull because marriage is not something you can go into just like that
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by MrCodeSolo: 6:18pm On Feb 25, 2020
MicheyJ1:
you want to tell me that the 4,000 divorce applications in Abuja within the last 51days, none of which had the blessings of the parents

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Tomason: 10:25am On Apr 15, 2020
[color=#990000][/color] parents advise are good but sometimes it goes the wrong way. Their blessings are good but it does not grantee one would have a bad marriage if they don't get one.
The best thing is to follow ur spirit man and do what will make you happy
We are no longer kids And time is changing. It is not how it was during their own time that it is now
Pls don't fall a victim of follow my instruction but blame your self if you fail
Your happiness matters and your parents will surely come to ur support, if not den they are wicked and its recommended to go far away from them
This is the problem I have too but I have my plans. Thank You

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 12:14am On Feb 02, 2022
Abeg na lie must of this elderly people no dey see anything or na the wrong things most time them dey see. They will be using their old mentally to judge present that this why most of us life are bend and somehow because of the nonsense dicision most of our parents make all in the name of proverb.
thesicilian:
Some will say marriage is between you and your partner and your parents have no right to interfere. That may be true, but what an elderly person sees sitting down, a child may not see while standing up
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by ImaIma1(f): 9:00am On Feb 02, 2022
thesicilian:

Sometimes what an elderly person sees sitting down is nonsense. Some are borne out of their own limited knowledge or selfish interests.

Besides, a foolish young man grows to be a foolish old man.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 9:40am On Feb 02, 2022
ImaIma1:

Sometimes what an elderly person sees sitting down is nonsense. Some are borne out of their own limited knowledge or selfish interests.

Besides a foolish young man grows to be a foolish old man.
Lol. Can't argue with that.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by ImaIma1(f): 9:51am On Feb 02, 2022
arherfish:
I feel for your friend but if gets married to the lady against his parents wishes and issues arises later, na oyo be dat for him.

What if he gets married to someone his parents approve of and issues still arise later? Who will the OYO be for?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 9:55am On Feb 02, 2022
Sugargirlojo:
Abeg na lie must of this elderly people no dey see anything or na the wrong things most time them dey see. They will be using their old mentally to judge present that this why most of us life are bend and somehow because of the nonsense dicision most of our parents make all in the name of proverb.
Lol.
Agreed, some of them cannot be taken seriously, especially the unexposed ones, but in a majority of cases, there's nothing as important as learning from the experiences of those who have passed through your current situation.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 03, 2022
MicheyJ1:

Where did you get that from. Parents are not gods, they are just parents.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 03, 2022
PeacenLove2:

A lot of people went to school, they aren't necessarily educated.

They are functional illiterates!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 1:29pm On Feb 03, 2022
sircrabo:
African parents can be self centered most times. They want things done their way all the time. They make you feel it's for your good but deep down its to satisfy their selfish desire.

And pls ignore that " what an elder see while sitting... bla bla bla " parents and pastors can consent to a marriage and it will still collapse.

I do not see any reason why a man at 30 won't know what's best for him. The men seldom have problems, it's the mothers that fight for their own interest. They want to brag to their friends that " my son is married to a white woman ", " my daughter is married to an oil tycoon "

If you've dated the girl for a while, you love each other, you can manage each others weakness, and you are very sure she makes you happy when no one is around (cause no one will be around) , then proceed with the marriage plans provided their reasons aren't life threatening. I.e madness running in the family, if both parties are AS or SS, if either party is impotent, if either party displays signs of domestic violence, if the man doesn't have a verifiable source of income... but if it's just tribe, religion or any other sentiments then make them see reasons with you and proceed with your plans. Whether or not they bless the union doesn't guarantee how long the marriage will last.

Marry someone that makes you happy when no one is around. After wedding ceremony the reality of the choice you made will set in. Don't marry to make daddy or mummy happy.

True talk!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"If My Mom Slaps You & You Slap Back, I Will Beat You Blue & Black " - Man / ‘Holy Water’ Ruins 10-Year-Old Marriage / Woman Reveals How She Dashed Her Husband N500k And What He Did With It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.