Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 (31098 Views)

Prophet Agyei Agyeman Fredua Predicted Ebony Reigns' Death In 2017. Fans React / 10 Ridiculous Ways Christmas Is Celebrated By Some Nigerians / What Has God Done For You In 2017; That Deserves His Praise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:

Okay, let's break it down.

Do atheists believe in spirits ( a supernatural being)?

This a matter of personal conviction not theism or atheism.

Someone can be atheist and believe in supernatural things. It has nothing do to do with atheism.

Atheism stops at disbelief in God, what ever you believe after that doesn't make you more or less atheistic.

Most atheists do not believe in spirits or supernatural things but there are atheists who do.

What your personal convictions are do not redefine that you can be called an atheist once you lack belief on the existence of God(s)
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Theism is a BELIEF in God or God's. A Belief. What is Atheism? A BELIEF too?

Opposite of theism.. Just add "Dis" to "belief" on that definition and you get your answer
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:57pm On Dec 26, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I also believe that if an atheist claims GOD DOES NOT EXIST this statement must have been made from a position of knowledge or better yet COUNTER KNOWLEDGE to the existence of God. So an atheist who claims that God does not exist should be able to defend this position by providing this acquired counter knowledge as proof that God does not exist.
Exactly. Since it is not a believe what then is it and what logic process what taken to arrive at it? Simply saying is not a BELIEF answers nothing.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:58pm On Dec 26, 2017
sonofthunder:

its like you don't understand my position here... religious people are having a discussion as regards their religion and/or God and you think atheists should have a say... maybe why your brothers keep spamming threads with trash always.

Yes.

because like i said before, both God and religions are matters of public concern as we feel the effects of these two subjects none withstanding our position or opinion on them.

Therefore you are allowed to comment and have a say on them
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 1:58pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Someone can be atheist and believe in supernatural things. It has nothing do to do with atheism.

Atheism stops at disbelief in God, what ever you believe after that doesn't make you more or less atheistic.

Most atheists do not believe in spirits or supernatural things but there are atheists who do.

What your personal convictions are do not redefine that you can be called an atheist once you lack belief on the existence of God(s)
What/who is God?

"Atheism stops at disbelief in God".... Kindly replace GOD with its definition in this quoted clause of yours.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Opposite of theism.. Just add "Dis" to "belief" on that definition and you get your answer
That's bullshi't and you know it. How was this opposite of atheism arrived at since it is not a belief? Logic? Emotions? A Fact? A Claim? What exactly is atheism if it is not a BELIEF?

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Frankly speaking, it makes no sense. I mean, once atheism holds the possibility of a deity's existence it ceases to be atheism. You cannot know there's no God and still believe in any possibility.
Lol nawa o i have explained na i can't keep repeting myself.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2017
Fegelfire:
I have yet to see a single person of an ascribed faith give a reasonable argument for why they believe the things they do. Muslims especially. Christians and Muslims love to hang on to "Infalsifiable" claims to protect their tattered pieces of faith, yet the actual reasons THEY give for why THEY believe are always weak and fallacious.

"The inhabitants of the earth are of two sorts: those with brains, but no religion, and those with religion, but no brains." - Abul Ala Al-Ma'arri.

I am yet to see a single atheist prove that God does not exist since they make bold to declare it why do they not also make bold to prove it? Yet they seek for proof from others for Gods existence which they already denied outright without providing their own proof for their denial and profound position.

Like someone has been saying here, atheism is beyond a disbelief. It's being triggered by other factors such as emotions, etc.

What indeed is atheism?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 2:02pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
That's bullshi't and you know it. How was this opposite of atheism arrived at since it is not a belief? Logic? Emotions? A Fact? A Claim? What exactly is atheism if it is not a BELIEF?

Add "Dis" to "belief" on your definition of theism.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 2:02pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:
What/who is God?

"Atheism stops at disbelief in God".... Kindly replace GOD with its definition in this quoted clause of yours.

www.Google.com.ng
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 2:03pm On Dec 26, 2017
Deicide:
Lol nawa o i have explained na i can't keep repeting myself.
That's because your explanation wasn't good enough. Is Atheism a Belief?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Add "Dis" to "belief" on your definition of theism.
Lol. I understand. You are smart. You've seen the point. If that's your way of being honest, I see you.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 2:07pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:

Truth!

I keep telling atheists here that any so called disbelief in one thing automatically means there is a belief in something else.

For example I disbelieve the existence of God means I BELIEVE GOD DOES NOT EXIST.

Something gave you another set of beliefs which you now term as a disbelief in the topic of focus but you refuse to acknowledge your new found belief in such a deceptively hypocritical manner.

It's simply semantics.

There is never vacuum in nature. Something always replaces another. One set of beliefs always replaces another but when we focus on what we just stopped believing in, we call it a disbelief toward that thing but atheists suddenly go silent whenever you ask them what they REPLACED this belief with.

3 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 2:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

I am still waiting for your list of supernatural things an atheist can believe in and yet disbelieve in God who is also of the supernatural.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 2:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Lol. I understand. You are smart. You've seen the point. If that's your way of being honest, I see you.

#Sighs
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 2:10pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:

You and me both.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 2:12pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Theism is a BELIEF in God or God's. A Belief. What is Atheism? A BELIEF too?
Its a position o

Atheism is like:
Person A: There is a pool at the back of my house
Person B: Ok let's go and see
(We go to the back of the house and there is no pool at least non that I can see)
Person B: I don't see any pool
Person A: But the pool is right here
(person A quickly calls others to confirm if they can see any pool)
Others: We don't see any pool here
(then this stupid thing happens)
Person A: Ok proof to me that a pool is not at the back of my house?

I hope you get the drift?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by CandidSeeker(m): 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

BTW I find it funny how Christians suddenly get pedantic when it comes to trying to force atheism into religion but would shy from the same by saying "Christianity is not a religion" so pray tell, how does any of those definitions you googled don't apply to Christianity

I responded to the OP with established definitions that you can verify.

You're here alleging pedantry, all because your ego will not allow you to accept that you are also religious.

Becareful not to generalize. I'm not one of those who says Christianity is not a religion, the bolded part of my post which you quoted says 'we are all religious.

-Peace.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Fegelfire: 2:16pm On Dec 26, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I am yet to see a single atheist prove that God does not exist since they make bold to declare it why do they not also make bold to prove it?

Was that even English?

Anyways, the burden of proof is upon you. And you artfully avoided the question laden in my statement. It seems that you really can't defend your own beliefs.

butterflyl1on:
Yet they seek for proof from others for Gods existence which they already denied outright without providing their own proof for their denial and profound position.

This is some off the richter scale mental gymnastics sh!t.

It's logical to seek for evidence and proof of something before you believe that it exists. Are you daft? What is the reason for a belief in a magical superbeing being the creator of everything? Why does the universe necessitate such a being? Where is the evidence for this being? Where does this being exist? If not in our dimension, where? How would a primitive human come to this conclusion and know about this being? Why would a primitive, informationally noviced human being who's only understanding of the world would be the immediate experiences he or she had within the confines of his/her camp or village, and the tales of his/her elders, be able to come to the conclusion of the answer of such a scientifically intensive and important question - that the origins of the universe are from a magical sentient superbeing? Just think about it.

butterflyl1on:
Like someone has been saying here, atheism is beyond a disbelief. It's being triggered by other factors such as emotions, etc.

You are completely projecting here. I have seen your previous post history and you clearly avoid strong criticisms of your belief in god and instead opt for wordplay and mental gymnastics to defend the god you worship that isn't real.

butterflyl1on:
What indeed is atheism?

Atheism is the lack of belief in a God. It's as simple as that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by hopefulLandlord: 2:21pm On Dec 26, 2017
CandidSeeker:

I responded to the OP with established definitions that you can verify.

You're here alleging pedantry, all because your ego will not allow you to accept that you are also religious.

Becareful not to generalize. I'm not one of those who says Christianity is not a religion, the bolded part of my post which you quoted says 'we are all religious.

-Peace.

pipe down, there's no ego at play haha, I just didn't see that part of your post and now I see it

BTW most of the "established definitions" you gave are highly shortsighted as I've explained

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 2:24pm On Dec 26, 2017
Deicide:
Its a position o

Atheism is like:
Person B: Ok lets go see
(We go to the back of the house and there is no pool at least non that i can see)
Person B: I dont see any pool
Others: We dont see any pool here

Why would person A claim to have a physical pool at the back of his house if it wasn't there to start with?

Physical things require a physical assessment. Trying to talk about spiritual things by using physical examples such as this is plain ridiculous.

So let me rephrase.

Person A: There is an invisible pool at the back of my house

Person B: Let's go see (he asks this despite knowing that the word INVISIBLE was used)

We go to the back of the house and of course no pool can be seen by person B

Person B: (still ignoring the use of the word INVISIBLE) says I cannot see any pool.

Person A: (who is equipped to see the invisible pool) but I can see it, how come you cannot?

Person B: (ignores the question and also the use of the word INVISIBLE and calls others to come and see if they can see what he cannot)

Others: we also cannot see the pool (this they claim by following person B who ignored telling them that the pool is invisible and also they need to have special equipment before they can see it).

Person B: walks away and calls person A Delusional (while still ignoring the use of the word INVISIBLE and observing the special equipment being used by person A)

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

www.Google.com.ng
Lmao
. okay.

Take a look at the definitions I got in the screenshot below when I used the link you provided. I'm particular about the second definition.

Now, you said "atheism stops at disbelief in God." Replacing God with that definition, this becomes " Atheism stops at disbelief in a superhuman being or spirit."

So, what kind of atheist doesn't believe in a God but believes in a spirit? From that definition, any spirit can also be regarded as a God.

I think Buddhist should consider themselves theists and not atheists.

Atheism, IMO, is total disbelief in the supernatural. If your conviction is not this strong, then you're either agnostic or theistic.

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2017
Fegelfire:

Was that even English?

Anyways, the burden of proof is upon you. And you artfully avoided the question laden in my statement. It seems that you really can't defend your own beliefs.

This is some off the richter scale mental gymnastics sh!t.

It's logical to seek for evidence and proof of something before you believe that it exists. Are you daft? What is the reason for a belief in a magical superbeing being the creator of everything? Why does the universe necessitate such a being? Where is the evidence for this being? Where does this being exist? If not in our dimension, where? How would a primitive human come to this conclusion and know about this being? Why would a primitive, informationally noviced human being who's only understanding of the world would be the immediate experiences he or she had within the confines of his/her camp or village, and the tales of his/her elders, be able to come to the conclusion of the answer of such a scientifically intensive and important question - that the origins of the universe are from a magical sentient superbeing? Just think about it.

You are completely projecting here. I have seen your previous post history and you clearly avoid strong criticisms of your belief in god and instead opt for wordplay and mental gymnastics to defend the god you worship that isn't real.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a God. It's as simple as that.

Aren't you also avoiding strong criticism of your atheism here?

If you say something does not exist this means you have somehow FOUND OUT that such does not exist (that is knowledge).

Show me this knowledge you acquire that proves the non existence of that thing. In other words prove to me that such does not exist.

Does it still confuse you? cheesy
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Ezumakingsley(m): 2:28pm On Dec 26, 2017
If the athaist din't get there morales from God but plungs into some action out of human sympathy...how did they get that human sympathy or conscience.

johnydon22:
I have been on this board for years and one must be forced to admit that all the arguments we go through here have seen numerous recycling. It is not so surprising because the argument of whether God(s) exist or not will always remain an Inconclusive one

But there are also some arguments here that are nothing but just silly. Some absurd arguments unworthy of attention due to the gross misrepresentation or just naivety of the arguer on the subject.

Here are a list of arguments i think should not cross over to 2018.

Atheism is a religion

As ridiculous as this sounds, it still somehow manages to crop up every now and then. Atheism is just as much religion as theism and theism is not a religion but a position.

I will try to simplify this to the most fundamental build-up so that whoever brings it up again, we all will agree is an id-iot.

Theism - Belief that God exists: This is not a religion, it is just a label for exercising belief in God or Gods

Atheism - Disbelief in the existence of God: Just like theism this is still not a religion but rather a label to quantify the position of unbelief in deities.

However. Religions can be formed based on Theistic and atheistic principles.

For example: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism are religions based on the fundamental principles or assumption that God exists,
Broad atheistic religions like Buddhism, Jainism, Taoism lack this principle, either in denial of Gods or a clear indifference to the subject.

Imagine Theism or atheism as beer crates.

In the theistic crate you find A bottle of christianity, Islam, hinduism, ATL and many others. Removes these bottles, the crate will still be there.

Same goes for atheism.

So to say Atheism is a religion is just an imbecilic as saying a crate of beer is a bottle.

Without God, where do atheists get their morality from?

This argument is used often and mostly from a naive standpoint. One must first of all understand the average atheist's stance on morality. Morality is a societal construct, a society makes and sets it's own rules and laws, stipulates it's own morals and this is hinged on a basic definition.

"Anything that decreases human suffering and directly or indirectly affects general societal well being, justice, equality, freedom and continuation"

This definition is socially hinged.

On the other hand, a sin is a religious construct and this are actions that goes against God's will.

A sin therefore is not necessarily societally wrong.

Atheists do not really bother what your religion regards a sin or not, No. Atheists are humans in a human society therefore are guided by human laws and ethics as stipulated by the society.

And also react to certain actions out of empathy, compassion and love and these are human emotions.

Who created the universe?

First, this argument invokes the logical fallacy of begging the question. By using the "term" who, you have already determined that your answer must be a "who" therefore whatever answer that falls out of this predetermined expectation scope is invalid and wrong.

Rather the correct question is "How did the universe came to be?" with this your answer can either be a "who" or a "what"

Again, this argument also is a projection of argument from ignorance, if you do not know how the universe came to be therefore God.

Being an atheist doesn't give you a first row seat during creation, factually we all can only speculate and assume or trying to scientifically connect the dots of creation through scientifically observed facts.

So we may disagree on our world view on how we think it all started but do not assume up or impose a position on the atheist argument until heard.

more to follow.... You may also add yours.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 2:31pm On Dec 26, 2017
Why would i want to follow a person to see an "invisible pool" cheesy be like ur brain day pain you.

3 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 26, 2017
smiley
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 2:35pm On Dec 26, 2017
Ezumakingsley:
If the athaist din't get there morales from God but plungs into some action out of human sympathy...how did they get that human sympathy or conscience.
Didnt you see the part the op said morality is a social construct?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 2:41pm On Dec 26, 2017
Deicide:
Why would i want to follow a person to see an "invisible pool" cheesy be like ur brain day pain you.

Read my post again. That is typical atheism and a typical atheist for you.

If the parameters do not suite their perception then all other parameters are null and void.

Besides there are people who believe they can somehow see an invisible thing. You tell them "I have an invisible ball" and their first comment would be LET ME SEE IT.

it shows how dumb the one asking truly is grin That's atheism for you.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Ezumakingsley(m): 2:41pm On Dec 26, 2017
You mean,you not being in sambisa forest fighting nigeria is as a result of social construct...give me practical examples

Deicide:
Didnt you see the part the op said morality is a social construct?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by DeRay98(m): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2017
All these arguments by atheists na pure intellectual calystenics.
People who consider themselves intellectuals then to see everything in life purely from intellectual angle. If you disagree they see you as intellectually deficient and intellectually lazy.
They pride themselves as superior beings without admitting it, the love to argue about everything and speak grammar. The unfortunate thing is thT by the reality done on them we won't see them to ask what happened. Una do oh. embarassed
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Daeylar(f): 2:50pm On Dec 26, 2017
Deicide:
Its a position o

Atheism is like:
Person B: Ok lets go see
(We go to the back of the house and there is no pool at least non that i can see)
Person B: I dont see any pool
Others: We dont see any pool here

Lmao grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Fegelfire: 2:52pm On Dec 26, 2017
butterflyl1on:

[s]Aren't you also avoiding strong criticism of your atheism here?

If you say something does not exist this means you have somehow FOUND OUT that such does not exist (that is knowledge).

Show me this knowledge you acquire that proves the non existence of that thing. In other words prove to me that such does not exist.

Does it still confuse you? cheesy[/s]

And we're back to the cherrypicking and the wordplay again. You really aren't actually defending your belief in god against my criticisms as much as you are attacking the phraseology I employ. It's misleading and toxic.

There is no reason to believe a god exists in the same way that there is no reason that a magical green-suited sh!tfairy that is borne from the crap you flush down the toilet (and into this forum) exists.

There is no reason to presume that a God exists within the realm of peer-reviewed science and history, a collection of disciplines that can describe in accurate, intense mathematical detail the formation of an entire solar system over hundreds of millions of years, something that ancient humans who strongly believed in gods could not even conceptualise. What is even more damning, is that there is also massive evidence, both direct and circumstantial, within the disciplines of evolutionary biology, hypothetical xenobiology, biology, psychology, behavioural psychology, cosmology, classical and quantum physics, archaeology, theology, sociology, astronomy/cosmology, simple history, and pretty much every other natural science you can shake a finger at, spanning the history of the universe and the forces waves and particles that make it up, the evolution of life on earth and the first hominids (humanoids - ancestors/relatives of humans), the primate-origin human psyche and it's interaction with the environment, the development of human civilisations, the creation, spread and decline of various religions, to conclude that there is absolutely NO possible scenario where a magical superbeing exists, be it as direct as the god of the Quran or Bible or even an unknown, unnamed "sentience" behind the Big Bang.

Just look at how you have avoided my previous posts on this thread, like these:

Fegelfire:

It's not an irrational viewpoint actually, Mr. "Mujahid 777".

There is literally nothing that presupposes that the universe needed a "cause" to exist - indeed, current theories in debate amongst well established cosmological scientists with PhDs (not Imams with a Quran lodged in their skulls) include the possibility that there IS no end and beginning to space-time, and that the creation of our current universe came from the collapse of a previous universe (Google: Big Bounce). There is absolutely nothing to suggest that it was the work of a sentient creator being and absolutely and it's pretty much impossible for hypothetical creator being to be the god of the Quran from a rudimentary glance at anthropology and human history.

You are trying to apply hand-eye coordination hands-on rationality to the beginning of the fucking universe, and then postulate that a magic superbeing exists to compliment your preconceived theistic conclusions. That in itself is inherently irrational.

Fegelfire:
God is a human psychological concept. A part of some of our species' need to put a name and a face behind major events in history, sometimes to focus our emotions or directives onto, despite there no such face or name to begin with.

After a destructive earthquake in the bronze age, a village murders the local hermit woman because "someone must've done it".

After a long, thunderous, life-threatening storm in the Mediterranean, Greek sailors lay the blame of offending the Gods upon a crewmate because "someone must've done it".

People go to the mosque and head-bop the carpets in front of them, acknowledging "Allah" as the creator of everything, because "someone must've done it."

Atheism all begins when man begins to ponder thus: "maybe it didn't have to be someone who did it..."

...and have proceeded to jump through a series of endless mental hoops surrounding the "definitions" of words and phrases and "proving your disbelief in god", despite refusing respond to these assertations, or refusing to weigh your OWN belief of a magical superbeing against the evidence.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? / Nollywood Stars Turned Pastors (1) / How A Gateman Helped Me To Get US Visa – Oritsejafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.