Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,973 members, 7,814,307 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! (22006 Views)

Can I Study Nursing As My Masters Degree After Studying Botany? / OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation / From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Almost1122: 9:10am On Dec 28, 2017
Goodyshoes:

My son, you have apparently done very well to get those scores. Bear in mind that your dreams should never die, NO MATTER WHAT.
Firstly, you have to ask yourself what you really want and to what extent you're willing to go in pursuit of what you want, and forthwith give it your most positive energies and galvanize yourself towards it.

I see you're ardently interested in being a Doctor, I'd advice you to keep up with the ambition, because ultimately, what matters most would be fulfillment.
Do not let prevailing circumstances prevent you from getting to what you dream of.
Give it another shot, Son.
all the best.

Cheers. . . .

Thanks alot Papa. Smile!
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Ranchhoddas: 9:17am On Dec 28, 2017
School is overrated.
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by GdexFolami(m): 9:22am On Dec 28, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:

What you need is just to buy another Jamb form and prepare for another Jamb. Delete the course from your mind and have a high hope that you will pass your Jamb and get your heart desired course. My own shoe I was forced to take the course by elder siblings and my parents chased out of the house to take the course but guess what. You can force a horse to the stream but you can't force it to drink water. I took the admission but had 0% interest in all the course activities. I stabbed lectures and practical. But today am in my Final Year Medicine and Surgery.

In 2010 I was given Botany instead of Medicine and Surgery in UNN. I wrote another jamb and deleted my mind from the course and whatever the outcome might be,even if I fail my Jamb or they withhold my result, I will not be sad, since I have made up my mind never to do that course in my life. I was reading and my course mate were always discouraging me from taking another course(because most of us were in the same shoe as those who got the course through supplementary list and we are wounded doctors then and shows me the importance of the Botany. Am not saying is a bad course or I can't be rich but that is not my heart desired course.

I wrote Jamb and I went for UI interview and I was admitted to Study Medicine and Surgery which was my heart desired course.

Pls never let your course mates/ room mates not know about your intention because they can never encourage you. Some will tell you that your Jamb will be withheld.

Others will say how can you begin 100level all over again.

Some will say you are wasting money

Others will say how old are you that it is not what you studied that gives you work in future

Most importantly know that you alone will suffer the consequences of your actions in choosing your career. Make a wise decision now. Nobody will bear your cross not even YOUR Parents or Siblings.
you said it all man

2 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by LasoulMacuby(m): 9:25am On Dec 28, 2017
Looking at the current situation IN Nigeria where even getting admission into your preferred course of study even after scoring all the high makes will make make me advise you to hold to the admission you have now. I may be wrong, but in 2005 I applied for law at Abu Zaria, was given Mass. Comm which I outrightly rejected because I felt cheated after scoring 289 in jamb, and having a very good grade in the Post-Ume. I started a Diploma in Law program at the Benue State University, Makurdi. I wrote the next Jamb, whilst running my diploma program yet the Civil law still evaded me. This time I was push to English and Literary studies.
My humble submission is if you can afford to wait and write the next jamb, it's not a bad idea, but how sure are you about still getting the admissions into your heart desired MbbS?
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Profcamsey(m): 9:28am On Dec 28, 2017
My brother follow your dream. Take this as back up and keep writing till you get MBBS. SIX years ago I was in the same shoe. But you have to think deeply why you want to do Medicine and try to go to an accredited school.
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by phoenix90(m): 9:31am On Dec 28, 2017
My brother don't you dare study Botany, the course will leave you nowhere after graduation. You may decide to take it as a temporary measure to leave home and have a taste of undergraduate life. But study for your jamb with vigor and retake the exams. If possible after your first year in botany you can apply for change of department to MBBS, make enquiries on the procedure for such. There are thousand and one great courses to prepare one for a great life after school but Botany ain't one of them. Yours sincerely studied Botany and I know the anguish my classmates and I are passing through. Look for better courses like Medical Lab sciences, Biochemistry, Radiography, Biotechnology and geology. You'll be happy you did.

2 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Ajisebioyolaari: 9:32am On Dec 28, 2017
hezy4real01:
Course like Botany, Zoology, most youth don't want to study such course and e make sense ooo cool money if u hit it right
They dont know
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by joenor(m): 9:33am On Dec 28, 2017
School good at changing ppl course, why not give the child what he want to study... anyway if I may advice, plant is a bit far from MBBS, go for what your desire... abeg.
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Orpe7(m): 9:35am On Dec 28, 2017
Wait another year and try again. Trust me bro. U will thank your stars u did
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Orpe7(m): 9:37am On Dec 28, 2017
phoenix90:
My brother don't you dare study Botany, the course will leave you nowhere after graduation. You may decide to take it as a temporary measure to leave home and have a taste of undergraduate life. But study for your jamb with vigor and retake the exams. If possible after your first year in botany you can apply for change of department to MBBS, make enquiries on the procedure for such. There are thousand and one great courses to prepare one for a great life after school but Botany ain't one of them. Yours sincerely studied Botany and I know the anguish my classmates and I are passing through. Look for better courses like Medical Lab sciences, Biochemistry, Radiography, Biotechnology and geology. You'll be happy you did.

For naija Biochemistry bo be am. Trust me. Biotech, Med lab and other ones u listed are ok of course.

1 Like

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by arrestdarrester: 9:37am On Dec 28, 2017
Only accept BOTANY if you have made up your mind to go into the academia, that is, lecturing.

BUK will not allow you switch after 100L.

3 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by zakari247(m): 9:37am On Dec 28, 2017
Almost1122:
Please I apply for MBBS in Bayero University Kano (BUK) with Jamb score of 263 and post Jamb with 272 and my average was 267.5. I heard some good grade in my O'Level result with,
1. English: B3
2. Mathematics: B3
3. Physics: A1
4. Biology: A1
5. Chemistry: C4.
I was expecting at least medical related courses, unfortunately they shift me from MBBS to Botany. Please what can I do with Botany because I don't want to loose another year again?

Thanks for your good suggestion!

Please if you don't have any positive suggestion to contribute just ignore it.
oh please, I wonder wat you intend to get by this cuz buk have not released it admission yet but for the utme merit list. so there is no way you will be given such a cause on merit list if at all you appeared there. I applied MBBS too, I didn't find my name on merit list but I'm very to find it on the complementary list which will be out by next week or maybe earlier. if truely they must take you out from that cause with that score you stated at least you will be either dentistry, radiography, nursing or if they hate you so much you will atleat get anatomy or physiology or may be biochemistry or microbiology. but I think you are lying.

1 Like

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by madgoat(m): 9:46am On Dec 28, 2017
Almost1122:
Please I apply for MBBS in Bayero University Kano (BUK) with Jamb score of 263 and post Jamb with 272 and my average was 267.5. I heard some good grade in my O'Level result with,
I was expecting at least medical related courses, unfortunately they shift me from MBBS to Botany. Please what can I do with Botany because I don't want to loose another year again?

My humble advice is to go for botany but obtain jamb form again choose medicine in another school, prepare well for UME but not neglecting the botany just incase the medicine doesn't work out again (hopefully you now get admitted into medicine). I have friends that did something similar while in Uni. It will require extra work from you.
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Rajosh(m): 9:54am On Dec 28, 2017
Apply again next year. Changing from botany to MBBS is next to impossible. Don't waste your time reading a course you don't like.

1 Like

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Debra911(f): 10:03am On Dec 28, 2017
Dear, pls don't give up on ur passion, keep striving, its not a matter of aw far but how well. Most medical students u see today didn't just get there as easy as u think, they av their stories to tell, many paid lots of sacrifices to get there, they did this,not because they don't av many other options or know abt more profitable jobs(like ppl working in shell or big oil companies...) to switch to rather than wasting money rewriting jamb,

No, they kept on striving because of the passion they have for the profession and the desire to be fulfilled. The truth is if u don't av PASSION for this course called medicine, u might regret going into it and want to give up along the way, by wishing u were in botany. So if it's truly wat u want, pls kip striving and nva give up, nothing good comes easy.

About the course botany, u can take it to get much experience dat will help u in writing the next jamb pretty well, u might get a better score dat will help u tru next year,nva be distracted with campus life and advice from roommates, even if u fall, pls do rise again for wat u love never give up. Don't be distracted by wat you hear, u should know this s ur life, if u rise, u rise alone and if u fall, u fall alone, none will help, we've got one life to live not two. I have my own stories to tell and I'm glad today dat I nva gave up. I don't know aw to get it to FP, but u can read it on ds blog, www.marastrove.com. Tnx to d owner of d blog.

The idea of switching from botany to medsurg in 2nd s nva an easy thing, even wen ur gp s high, I can't give advice on that cos it hardly work for students who go tru dat means.

Wish you the best in all your endeavors!!!

2 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by ClitoPen: 10:12am On Dec 28, 2017
hezy4real01:
Course like Botany, Zoology, most youth don't want to study such course and e make sense ooo cool money if u hit it right
Biko in which country?

1 Like

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by docyomex(m): 10:14am On Dec 28, 2017
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Alevels
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by doctorfemi20(m): 10:28am On Dec 28, 2017
I will suggest u to go for the Botany, but have it in mind to write JAMB again. I spent 4 good years in Agric Econs in OAU before I left it to start Medicine from 100 level. I am happy and fulfilled today because I run my private hospital which has been my dream

4 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by kraftyiyk: 10:29am On Dec 28, 2017
Dude i had to loggin to advice you .

In my opinion , accept the botany, and do your best in it as option( A) and take another jambWhile still in botany.

Option(B) if the second jamb didnt come out well, continue with the botany, all hope is not lost, but start planning, immediately after you graduate, take a trip down to philipines, there your bsc of botany(biological science) of any grade will earn u only 3 yrs class work and 1 yr Clerkship to become an MD (Doctor) at a tuition of an average of within $3.5k a year for a good world class quality med sch...

U will most likely graduate before your batch mates who started off from Mbbs in Nigeria.

Those who are less informed will continue wasting their time in our few congested Med schools in Nigeria.

Modified__________
@obstead200 guy beolw me who insulted himself, have you been to any med sch in philippines? Why expose ur ignarance to public view when you know nothing about this field?
10% of American Doctors and Nurses are trained in the philipines bro , and uncountable foreign citizens(inclusing Europeans, Americans, and Middle east ) comes to philippines for education tourism and Residencies!!.Can u compare any Nigerian hospital to philippine hospitlas in terms of equipments n facilities? Do we even have ordinary Nepa light in Nigeria?

i gave this advice from a first hand experience, pls do not come online to expose your ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by GAMEFACE: 10:34am On Dec 28, 2017
Almost1122:

Firstly I must ask you a few questions. ....are you passionate about studying medicine? Are you ready to watch others play and club while you are reading and staring out of the window? Are you ready to sacrifice many years of your life? Is it your dream? You may be thinking why and who is this with these questions? The truth is that many people get into medicine thinking it is some tea with sugar only to find out it was some local brew...without sugar infact with bitter leaf! Well, if you are ready then you have a few options...a) accept botany, they offer the same courses in 100level with medicine, make sure you pass exceptionally well and then go and knock on the dean or provost of medicine's door with your result for a transfer next year....with prayers ooo...if it is your calling,God will do it for you. ......you can even go now and make him promise you that you should come back for a transfer if your result is very good....persistence works....If it is in your heart,God will help you.b) also write another jamb just incase they break your heart....don't put all your eggs in one basket. C) if your results are good and they refuse to transfer you to medicine, you can try transferring to another university. ....everything is possible .d) try pharmacy....it is even bigger than medicine now all over the world and it is just as challenging as medicine..without the drugs medicine is impossible! I hope I helped!

2 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by obstead200(m): 10:37am On Dec 28, 2017
Almost1122:

I am not a tribalist. But from my personal experience with BUK, I have two questions for u.
1. Are u a blue blooded, elite Hausa/fulani? Preferably a Kano indigene?

2. Who do u know? How much did u spend

In that school, ur answer to this two question will decide if u can EVER hope to study medicine, laws or any premium engineering course there.

My advice, reject botany and try again, preferably in a School where u are an indigene or at least know sf someone powerful.

Bayero offered me PHE with my 229 score in jamb, first choice. because I am Igbo. Hausas with 170 were being admited into accounting.

That was 19 years ago. I dumped them, went to my state and got admitted immediately.
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by hAlexandro(m): 10:39am On Dec 28, 2017
sweettease:
Don't even be deceived by accepting to believe you can change to MBBS after 100L. If your scores are all legit (no expo or special centre) then you can do better than botany(since you obviously don't like the course). You can choose to accept botany now and apply again next year if you have the funds or ignore it and try later. I gave up zoology then when I was offered cos I felt I could do better and I don't regret my decision now, one of the best decisions I made.
that's quite encouraging
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by KaizenO(m): 10:42am On Dec 28, 2017
There are a few options you can consider.

1. You can apply to transfer from BUK to a private university for medicine with your JAMB and post-JAMB scores. Many private universities will accept you if you can afford the exorbitant fees.
2. You can accept to study Botany at BUK and apply to change to medicine at BUK when you get to year 2.
3. You can accept to study Botany at BUK and transfer to another university that will accept you to year 2 medicine after you complete your first year in BUK
4. You can commence the Botany degree at BUK and re-take JAMB to study medicine in another university.

What you shouldn’t do is reject the offer and sit down at home for another year.

Even if you end up graduating with a degree in Botany, there are many career opportunities for Botanist e.g. you can go on to study for a masters and / or doctorate and end up in the academics or go on to specialize as an Ecologist, an agronomist, biophysicists, or horticulturists. You can divert to the pharmaceutical industry. You can even end up leaving applied sciences ultimately and find yourself in financial services or in FMCG.

3 Likes

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by obstead200(m): 10:44am On Dec 28, 2017
kraftyiyk:
Dude i had to loggin to advice you .

In my opinion , accept the botany, and do your best in it as option( A) and take another jambWhile still in botany.

Option(B) if the second jamb didnt come out well, continue with the botany, all hope is not lost, but start planning, immediately after you graduate,

take a trip down to philipines there your bsc of botany(biological science) of any grade will earn u only 3 yrs class work and 1 yr Clerkship to become an MD (Doctor) at a tuition of an average of within $3.5k a year for a good world class quality med sch...

U will most likely graduate before your batch mates who started off from Mbbs in Nigeria.

Those who are less informed will continue wasting their time in our few congested Med schools in Nigeria.

I wud not advice him to accept the botany. These courses have a way of tying one down and sucking them in, especially if one lacks a strong resolve. U end up accepting to study the course just because u like ur Coursemate in that class, or because u like one babe or one lecturer. These kids are highly fikle and impressionable. It is better he rejects it and remain focused. He can learn some other skills in the mean time

And..............
Good medical schools in the Philippines?

Dude u believe the internet too much. Alternatively, what the hell are u smoking

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by vanhelsing1(m): 10:46am On Dec 28, 2017
Almost1122:

ma FRIEND....its not a decison u.should.hit ur head on d floor cos u don't kw wat to.do...
two things r involved...I wil only give u.suggestions ...I cant make decisions for u..u r full grown wt powers of understanding...
I wod advise u to start up wt d botany course cos a bird in hand is wat more dan 50 in d bush.den,later u can still apply for jamb and try again.work wt dis suggestion.
dont disregard wat u have bn given at dis moment.make a wise decison..
one love.

1 Like

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Boss13: 10:55am On Dec 28, 2017
The first advice I would give to you is not to accept the Botany admission. What many Nigerian universities fail to do is to inform students about the employment opportunities for the courses they are studying in school. There is no career guide department in many Universities. Well I don’t know about now. Employment opportunities in Botany is very limited, even the employment opportunities in medicine is not so good but better than Botany.

Don’t get carried by peer pressure. Study hard and ace your Jamb to study medicine.

1 Like

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Horlhamhi(f): 10:59am On Dec 28, 2017
well, my advice is that.. you accept to study Botany and if you still insist on studying Medicine, you make sure you attain strong CGPA (@least 4.0) while in 100L so you could cross OR take another Jamb to study Medicine while in 100L..
You are taking either of the choices WHILST studying Botany, so you won't miss out in case none of the options click..
�my opinion though

1 Like

Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by emperormossad(m): 11:08am On Dec 28, 2017
sweettease:
Don't even be deceived by accepting to believe you can change to MBBS after 100L. If your scores are all legit (no expo or special centre) then you can do better than botany(since you obviously don't like the course). You can choose to accept botany now and apply again next year if you have the funds or ignore it and try later. I gave up zoology then when I was offered cos I felt I could do better and I don't regret my decision now, one of the best decisions I made.
That score should get him mbbs.
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by docyomex(m): 11:13am On Dec 28, 2017
obstead200:

I wud not advice him to accept the botany. These courses have a way of tying one down and sucking them in, especially if one lacks a strong resolve. U end up accepting to study the course just because u like ur Coursemate in that class, or because u like one babe or one lecturer. These kids are highly fikle and impressionable. It is better he rejects it and remain focused. He can learn some other skills in the mean time

And..............
Good medical schools in the Philippines?

Dude u believe the internet too much. Alternatively, what the hell are u smoking

I agree with you
If he goes for Botany he might get distracted -
But if he stays @ home - emotional breakdown
What I think - go for A levels and write jamb 2018(you must pass oo)
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by Tlaw01(m): 11:15am On Dec 28, 2017
sweettease:

You gave up zoology for w@?
Re: From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! by izicooo(f): 11:20am On Dec 28, 2017
You remind me of my days. In the year 2007 i applied for medicine, jamb score 235, university of maiduguri, to my amazement, I was given zoology, felt really really bad but could do nothing because I needed to graduate and leave there due to insurgency. graduated with a 2:1 went to serve, after service had to teach biology in private schools with salary ranging from 10 to 15 thousand naira but I kept on praying for baba God to pick my call and change my story. Just last year I got a job with federal ministry of education, Biology department. ( though with serious connection and bribe paid) To cut the long story short I'm now a level 9 officer in ministry of education, started my M.sc program last year (done with class work). I have come to discover that the major thing is to get a good job after school and with God by your side that is PossiCan.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? / Apply for David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarship For Undergraduate Students 2016 / Faculty Of Social Sciences Benue State University Building Collapses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.