Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! (23493 Views)

Rock Music Is Satanic? / Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria / Any Fans Of Rock Music On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by vercetti(m): 4:38pm On May 19, 2010
medjai:

Can somebody please provide a link to the following songs. I have searched everywhere possible and no results:
Angels and Airwaves: secret crowds
Linkin Park: easier to run

for any song that outs there:www.mp3fusion.net

I've been a rocker since i heard "Everything you want"- Vertical Horizon back in 1999 on Rick Dees. Rock brings something different to the table that no other genre can. It cant be explained with words.

I started listening to gospel lately tho, I love Red, Barlow Girl, The Letter Black, Kutless, just to name a few.

I think a rock concert will flop coming from a business perspective but it wud a once in a lifetime opportunity for the rock die-hards here in the country
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bumpkin(m): 11:55pm On May 20, 2010
I'm a big fan of Demon Hunter. Plus others like As I Lay Dying, Red, Killswitch Engage, any metal fans out here? Holla
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by alienYOUTH(m): 12:28am On May 22, 2010
I'm a big fan of Demon Hunter. Plus others like As I Lay Dying, Red, Killswitch Engage, any metal fans out here? Holla

Bros, u rock. Metalhead for Lyfe!!!

AILD and KSE r d metal gods, clean lyrics, wicked strings, bloodied drums.

Have u checked out these chick-fronted bands:

- Walls of Jericho
- Straight Line Stitch
- Bloodlined Caligraphy

I promise u wont be dissapointed.

Also d frontman of AILD came up wit a side-project, Australian Death Machine; it's an Arnold Schwarzenneger parody, funny but brutal.

Norma Jean and The Chariot are just mad guys, check em out if u haven't.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by medjai(m): 3:22am On May 22, 2010
@ exago and vercetti
thanx a trillion. U both are far too kind.
Its been confirmed that Fallout boy and Sheryl Crow will be coming down for the Lagos International Rock Festival. Its coming up in September. I'll update y'all if anything nu comes up
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bumpkin(m): 1:10pm On May 22, 2010
@alienyouth You rock \m/ Yeah I also like Norma Jean & Chariot. Check out Opeth (they're a great scandinavian band)
There's also a nice south african band called Betray The Emissary. Of the chick-led bands i've only heard Bloodline Caligraphy

Sometimes i also like some of the heavier stuff like Cradle Of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, The Black Dahlia Murder etc
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bumpkin(m): 1:14pm On May 22, 2010
did u know that one of the Born Of Osiris guitarists is Nigerian? He's called Tosin Abasi. Checked out some of his stuff on youtube. Really good. But i think he only joins them on tour
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by medjai(m): 1:46pm On May 22, 2010
@ bumpkin
re u in Nigeria? your knowledge of rock is pretty impressive.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bumpkin(m): 7:02pm On May 22, 2010
@Medjai i recently moved back. Disapponted to find that the rock scene over here is tiny. Is there at least a bunch of rockers & rock bands that meet? If not it'd be great have one
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by alienYOUTH(m): 10:30pm On May 22, 2010
@Bumpkin, met a couple of peeps who listen 2 rock in d subtle form, but no Metalheads/Hardcore guys. Bn in Nigeria all my life and my roommates in sch believed i was nuts with all d head banging and primal screams. My wife still doesn't agree wit my choice of music. tongue

Always wanted 2 come up with a rock band, but apart from d problem of few followers; i dont knw how 2 play any instruments and dont hav a great voice either *Hopeless* embarassed

Oh well, maybe i'll come around 2 dat l8r in life, but for now i gotta make money 2 feed ma crew!!!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by medjai(m): 11:09am On May 23, 2010
There's this song by Owl City that I'm totally in love with, 'Hot air baloon'. Owl city is awesome. I think its a one man band
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Rocktation(f): 1:13pm On May 23, 2010
Yeah you bet. Adam Young is called a 'laptop rocker' in hollywood, because he practically put together all the stringings or should i say instrument clangings in his songs, via his laptop back when he was still working as a bottle boy in the Coca-Cola company. He gained his first adknowledgement when he uploaded 'Fireflies' on YouTube.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bumpkin(m): 6:17pm On May 23, 2010
Actually back in uni i met a bunch of rock fans and only 2 of us could play instruments but we all played together anyway. And now the guys are all really good & they still playing together as a 6-piece band, plus two side projects. So it's great if you have pple you can learn with
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by medjai(m): 10:38pm On May 23, 2010
Very soon rock will become very popular among blacks. Lil wayne and Jay z have both tried something with rock. Hip hop has become very boring just a few emcees keeping it alive. Apart from Living Colours, i havent heard of any other black band.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by shilling(f): 8:02am On May 24, 2010
bumpkin:

Demon Hunter and Red are super awesome. Don't know if you know Skillet, but they're also really good. I saw Skillet and Red perform about 2 weeks ago, omg - I lost my voice. We got to talk to them at the meet-and-greet, very cool guys. Red's front man is really tiny  tongue

medjai:

There's this song by Owl City that I'm totally in love with, 'Hot air baloon'. Owl city is awesome. I think its a one man band
Owl City (Adam Young)  kiss kiss is my new mini-obsession. It's pretty much a one-man band, Matt Thiessen (Relient K) and Breanne Duren (chic with the nice but weird voice) do bgv's for him. There are about 5 other people that perform with him live. He performs like he's drunk or high, but apparently, he's just having a good time - don't know  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by shilling(f): 8:19am On May 24, 2010
Been listening to rock for about 13 years.
Rock (all subgenres) is deep so I think people should be really be careful with the bands they listen to. Bands like Korn, Staind, System of the Down, etc have hidden occultic messages in their songs. For this reason, I switched to Christian Rock.

When it comes to christian rock you'll find extreme satisfaction cos the christian bands are just as good as their secular conterparts (some are better). Here are some of the christian bands I listen to and a brief description of what they sound like.

The Letter Black - This is alternative rock. They only have one album but the album is correct. The lead singer sounds a lot like Avril but the music is heavier (the bass guitar is louder).

Demon Hunter- Pure heavy metal. These guys are really noisy. If you can listen to this then you've crossed over from Rock to Metal.

Skillet - This is about the most popular christian rock band at the moment. They're even on Billboard. A lot of screaming here but the nice strings and guitar riffs will cover for all that.

38th Parallel - They sound a lot like Linkin Park. The mix down of their music is not as good though.

Casting Crowns - The gospel message in their song can convert a muslim in a day. Lol!

Okay. I'm tired of describing the bands. I'll just go ahead and list a few more then I'll tell you how to find their music for FREE.

Jeremy Camp
Haste The Day
Falling Up
Tenth Avenue North (This was the second best band of 2009, you should really try this)
Head Aka Brian Welch (this guy broke out of KORN so the two bands sound alike)
Destroy the Runner
Red (one of my favourite)

For those that are not really into the heavy rock thingy you can try some of the following bands.

Hillsongs United (Hillsong is old school)
David Crowder Band
Meredith Andrew
Sonic Flood
Downhere

Okay, these CDs are not available in Nigerian shops (except the Media store in The Palms) so you can download from www.jetdl.com.
All you have to do is search for the artist or the album and it will take you to a file sharing website where you can download full, high quality albums.
You can also get songs (singles) from www.beemp3.com
Some would recommend LimeWire but I won't because of all the wahala that come with it
If you need more info, holla!

I agree with you on the Letter Black, the lead singer is epic. She's really unique, does her own thing, doesn't try to copy anyone else. Went to a concert about 3 weeks ago, she has lots of energy on stage.

Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, and Tenth Avenue North I would certainly not classify as rock, but they're outstanding nonetheless. Haven't heard from Falling Up in a while.

I'm with you on Skillet, Demon Hunter, Red and Head. Don't know if you've seen the last 2 performing together - amazing!! Head's concerts are really amazing, He always shares his testimony which is really good. Funny, but Head's concerts are usually insanely loud, waaay louder than even Skillet, or Red lol.

PS: Check out The Classic Crime (if you don't know them already), really good - high profile. Children 18:3 - they're coming up.

I believe it's only Demon Hunter I haven't seen in concert. Anyone been there? Tell me if it was worth the money.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bumpkin(m): 11:52am On May 24, 2010
@Medjai Look for a band called God Forbid. They're also black. And then of course there's Killswitch Engage with a black lead singer.

@shilling Great taste! I've not followed Skillet since the Collide album. Savior was my fave song. Do you like Flyleaf? I absolutely love Lacey Mosley. She's got a pair of lungs on her. Have you heard of the Whosoevers? It's a mission project by POD, Flyleaf and Head, (and a few other bands). I'd love to go for one of those gigs.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by rume(m): 5:32pm On May 24, 2010
sevule:

I think Brian 'HEAD' Welch's conversion experience was a fantastic one
and you should try and read his ebook about his experiences in Korn.
His album was head banging and pretty spiritual, I particularly loved the
L.O.V.E single from his album. My only disappointment was the fact that
he released only one album. Presently trying out DemonHunter, those guyss
rock though the music gets too loud sometimes sha
Oh yeap, Brian Welch scares me! Well, rather, he looks quite scary and you may end up feeling sorry for him just by looking at him. I've not payed much attention to his listen to his music though.
Red, Decemberadio and Skillet all nice.
The letter Black and Fireflight are well nice too. "For Those who wait", the new album from fireflight sounds good too but Unbreakable from the first album is a catcher.
DemonHunter = decibel x 10000
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by medjai(m): 9:10pm On May 24, 2010
Three doors down is a great band. They can do about any of the sub genres apart from alternative which is their main forte, very versatile. I've heard them do punk 'story of a girl', hard rock 'loser' 'when i'm gone '. I love 'loser', 'kryptonite', 'when i'm gone'
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by shilling(f): 4:01am On May 25, 2010
bumpkin:

@shilling Great taste! I've not followed Skillet since the Collide album. Savior was my fave song. Do you like Flyleaf? I absolutely love Lacey Mosley. She's got a pair of lungs on her. Have you heard of the Whosoevers? It's a mission project by POD, Flyleaf and Head, (and a few other bands). I'd love to go for one of those gigs.

I love Flyleaf!!! Lacey Mosley, wow - amazing testimony too. You're so right, The Whosoevers concert would be insane, cos they're all really great individually.

rume:

Oh yeap, Brian Welch scares me! Well, rather, he looks quite scary and you may end up feeling sorry for him just by looking at him. I've  not payed much attention to his listen to his music though.
Red, Decemberadio and Skillet all nice.
The letter Black and Fireflight are well nice too. "For Those who wait", the new album from fireflight sounds good too but Unbreakable from the first album is a catcher.
DemonHunter = decibel x 10000
Trust me, Head is so not scary. In person, he's not as in your face" as he looks in pictures. The first time I saw him in concert, I was so SHOCKED. Of course, he looks different, but not a different scary. He's average height, and very slim - not big boned. When he walks around, he's just like a person with loads of tatts, nothing disturbing.

BTW, his music is really really really good.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sevule(m): 5:08pm On May 25, 2010
shilling:

Demon Hunter and Red are super awesome. Don't know if you know Skillet, but they're also really good. I saw Skillet and Red perform about 2 weeks ago, omg - I lost my voice. We got to talk to them at the meet-and-greet, very cool guys. Red's front man is really tiny  tongue
Owl City (Adam Young)  kiss kiss is my new mini-obsession. It's pretty much a one-man band, Matt Thiessen (Relient K) and Breanne Duren (chic with the nice but weird voice) do bgv's for him. There are about 5 other people that perform with him live. He performs like he's drunk or high, but apparently, he's just having a good time - don't know  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
Shilling you are a babe after my heart!!! A concert by Red and Skillet? That must have been off da hook!! Please tell me how that went. They are my fav xtian bands. And lately I have been listening to DemonHunter and I have fallen in luv!!! Their ballads are absolutely incredible, try listening to these songs and dare to tell me that you were not touched.
DemonHunter - Nails - (This song almost makes me cry!!!)
DemonHunter - Collapsing
DemonHunter - Lead us home

I relly didnt like Skillet's last album - Awake. I felt they sold their essence in order to get accepted by the mainstream market. Collide remains their best album to date. The lyrics are simply wow!!!
Also for the love of life anyone reading this should PLEASE listen to Hello Hurricane by Switchfoot. I was never crazy about Switchfoot but when I heard Hello Hurricane the feelings I felt were simply indescribable. My fav on that album are:
Switchfoot - Free ( Beautiful does not even describe this song!!!)
Switchfoot - Mess of me
Switchfoot - The Sound (Love driving to this song)

Can anyone recommend bands that sound similar to the following artists?
Skillet
Demonhunter
Red
Thousand foot krutch
38th Parallel
Since October
Kutless
Pillar
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by shilling(f): 12:42am On May 26, 2010
sevule:

A concert by Red and Skillet? That must have been off da hook!! Please tell me how that went. They are my fav xtian bands. And lately I have been listening to DemonHunter and I have fallen in luv!!! Their ballads are absolutely incredible, try listening to these songs and dare to tell me that you were not touched.

I relly didnt like Skillet's last album - Awake. I felt they sold their essence in order to get accepted by the mainstream market. Collide remains their best album to date. The lyrics are simply wow!!!

It was the Awake and Alive Tour, what can I say - it was loud  grin. It was seriously hard core rock. The Letter Black was the opening act. The 3 bands brought their A game.  My friends and I traveled about 2 hours to go see them. I also agree that Skillet's last album was more mainstream, considering their previous stuff. But, at the concert, they were clearly a Christian band. Shared the Salvation message about half way into performing. I never knew Skillet & Red had tons of fans from the mainstream market till that day, it was amazing the number of people who turned out. After the show, we had to choose - Skillet or Red. Red had the majority, so we went to meet Red. My 2 crazy friends asked them "Just wondering, are you guys really sold out for Christ, blah blah blah blah . . . how would you rate yourself in percentage?" They were so shocked, don't think anyone had ever asked them that. Red's lead singer, and the cooler looking twin said "98%" lol. The less cool looking twin hurt his back performing (that's how bad they rocked out) - don't think it was too serious though.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 10:58am On May 26, 2010
sevule:

Shilling you are a babe after my heart!!! A concert by Red and Skillet? That must have been off da hook!! Please tell me how that went. They are my fav xtian bands. And lately I have been listening to DemonHunter and I have fallen in luv!!! Their ballads are absolutely incredible, try listening to these songs and dare to tell me that you were not touched.
DemonHunter - Collapsing

Also for the love of life anyone reading this should PLEASE listen to Hello Hurricane by Switchfoot. I was never crazy about Switchfoot but when I heard Hello Hurricane the feelings I felt were simply indescribable. My fav on that album are:
Switchfoot - Mess of me

Skillet
Demonhunter
Red
Thousand foot krutch
38th Parallel
Since October
Kutless
Pillar

there you go. . . thought you guys were going  to leave out Swithfoot
though its way back I still enjoy "Dare You To Move". Recommended to a friend who was really depressed at a time.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 11:01am On May 26, 2010
Switchfoot . . . I Dare You To Move
Welcome to the planet
Welcome to existance
Everyones here
Everyones here
Everyones watching you now
Everybody waits for you now
What happens next
What happens next

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move like the day never happened
Today never happened before

Welcome to the fallout
Welcome to resistance
The tension is here
The tension is here

Between who you are and who you could be
Between how it is and how it should be

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Today never happened

Maybe redemption has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell
Where can you run to escape from yourself
Where you gonna go
Where you gonna go

Salvation is here,

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Today never happened
Today never happened
Today never happened
Today never happened before
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 11:36am On May 26, 2010
Wonder where these guys are

12 Stones The Way I Feel

Lately I've been wandering
Off the narrow path
You’ve given me so many things that I've never had
And all in all I know it's you that always pulls me through
If you reach deep inside you’ll see my heart is true

‘Cause I hate the way I feel tonight
And I know I need you in my life
Yes I hate the way I feel inside
And I promise to make the sacrifice

The world I know is pulling me
More and more each day
I feel like the odd man out as I begin to pray
Spiteful eyes are watching me
With everything I do
In the midst of darkness Lord
My spirit calls for you

(You know sometimes deep inside)
I feel like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYmo4EVtQk&feature=PlayList&p=7B11EE155F4A756E&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=50
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Rocktation(f): 11:44am On May 26, 2010
You have got to be kidding me. You just took Google's job! Anyways, i do love Switcfoot's Dare you to move, You, This is your life, On fire and Gone. Totally awesome band.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by shilling(f): 1:56pm On May 26, 2010
exago:

Switchfoot . . . I Dare You To Move
Favorite Switchfoot song. . .
By the way, it's actually called Dare You To Move, there's no I.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 26, 2010
checked out switchfoot- not bad.

I'm still on mika (cant be bothered reposting the long thesis i typed before the NL crash)

Blue eyes- nice. The beat actually sounds african.

Lonely alcoholic- has a "blues/fifties" tone to it.

We are golden - interesting.

i think mika's songs reflect his moods at particular times.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 26, 2010
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bumpkin(m): 3:27pm On May 29, 2010
sevule:

DemonHunter - Collapsing

Switchfoot - Mess of me

Skillet
Demonhunter
Red
Thousand foot krutch
38th Parallel
Since October
Kutless
Pillar

I highly recommend Kids In The Way, Decyfer Down, Fireflight, Disciple, Spoken, Blindside, & Dead Poetic (especially their New Medicines album)
Also check out Stavesacre, Staple, Falling Up, Day of Fire, & Seventh Day Slumber.
For heavier bands similar to Demon Hunter, check out Project 86, Underoath, Becoming The Archetype, Zao, War Of Ages, & Haste The Day
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by rume(m): 5:21pm On May 31, 2010
A take on some of these bands
Decyfer Down - "Walking Dead" what lyrics, from Decyfer Down's "End of Grey" album. I don't really jump around for the tracks I've heard from Crash, their new EP/album .
Kutless's new album so far isn't bad too.
Day of Fire - There's been so much noise about "lately" from their latest album on the internet and I have a video of them perfoming it on stage.
Seventh day Slumber- erm only "Caroline" really stays in my head.
Fireflight - sweet!!!!!!!! "For those Who Wait" video is sooooooo well done. great, don't know about "desperate".
Blindside - don't know these guys that much, only heard "Silence".
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ruq: 9:31pm On May 31, 2010

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

10 Rising Artists Music Listeners Should Keep A Tab On In 2021 / Soundcity MVP Awards Festival 2017 Full Nominations List / Which Of These Current Nigerian Musicians Surprised You The Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.