Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,110 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? (15413 Views)

Why Are Women Crazy About Tall Men? / Why Are Women Cheating More Than Men Lately? / Why Are Women Their Own Worst Enemies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by danwilliams4u(m): 11:08am On Feb 07, 2018
The answers here paint a rosy picture. But all that is a big fat lie.

Nigerian women are treated like TRASH.

Nigerian women have to live in a society where they are treated as second class citizens.

No matter what you have achieved, people are going to question when you are going to get married because that's apparently all you're good for.

As a woman, if you have to report a case to the police, they will ask you to call your husband/brother/father or boyfriend because apparently you as an adult woman, you can't be trusted to report something that happened to you. How are you going to report domestic abuse to the same police asking you to come with your husband? Even if you did, you would be told “it's a family matter”.

Let me ask those painting a picture of a life they know nothing about some questions. Do you even know what the average Nigerian woman faces?

What about people blaming you for the crash of your marriage? Not your husband, you.

What about being blamed for your husband hitting you? And when you open up to talk about it, you are blamed some more.

What about servicemen asking for your husband, boyfriend, father or brother when things need to be repaired in your house?

What about people blaming you for sexual assaults? Not your attacker, you. Telling you things like “why did you wear that?”, “It's your fault for tempting him” and many more.

What about male compatriots telling you to shut up because you're a woman & shouldn't be talking where men are?

What about getting married off before you're ready? Getting pulled out of school to become a wife? Getting VVF while giving birth?

What about your husband treating you like a second class human being because you had the audacity to give birth via C-section?

What about being sexually assaulted and harassed with your attacker telling you that you ought to be pleased because you're beautiful?

What about being treated like you don't matter because you're female and would end up bearing another man's surname? Being educated last because your brother(s) are more useful to the family than you are?

What about everyone believing that every material thing you have acquired is as a result of you laying on your back & opening your legs for it?

What about being slut shamed, single shamed because you're a woman who wouldn't conform to the nonsense patriarchial nature of your society?

What about men calling you a “man hater” because you dare to demand better treatment for yourself and other women?

What about men raping women, female children as young as 2/3 years old?

What about you Nigerian men labelling any woman or girl who refuses your advances, a prostitute aka ashewo?

What about believing all a woman is good for is cooking your food & bearing your children?

Before you come here [right][/right]and preach what you don't know, ask your sisters, mothers and aunts. They will tell you because your privilege blinds you to most of it.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 07, 2018
regrets being a Nigerian girl. some assholes in d form of guys will still come here to spill rubbish

12 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Tobiloba84: 11:33am On Feb 07, 2018
What about you coming out as a female that you are and never have to disguise as a male? That aside OP, we world is created and designed in an orderly manner and most things that wants to equate women to men if done would cause a lot of imbalance. N. B:this isnt an approval that women are less human or should be treated as such. Just know your place abd act accordingly. My 1kobo tho

18 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Safiaa(f): 11:36am On Feb 07, 2018
Waiting for the menist to counter these points. smiley Let me see what they have to say, because this is nothing but the truth.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 07, 2018
Preach Bro preach! cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 07, 2018
undecided
when i was in delta state, i had a friend who was far older than me and was married to a beautiful lady. he did everything he could for this woman, supported her finacially and even started a business for her.
unfortunately the man was dischared from the army and was no longer finacially competent. his beautiful angel decided to show her true colours; she cheated publicly with every guy she found desirable, insulted the man and even stayed away from home for days......

so pls op do you know what the average nigeria man go through from women alone?
may feminism not kill you.

117 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by lifedynamics: 12:04pm On Feb 07, 2018
Chaii see the way Op killed my menist arguments grin

Normally I'd argue cause it's gender related
But no
Pure facts, it's when white women talk like this I get offended.(Their privilege is at an all time high)
Our Nigerian women deserve better tbh... We treat them very unfairly.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by mikejj(m): 12:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
grin they ate the fruit first!

2 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by miqos02(m): 1:09pm On Feb 07, 2018
Well
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 07, 2018
Op u nailed it, this is exactly as it is in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Gkay1(m): 1:10pm On Feb 07, 2018
if u treat Nigeria woman well, den will call u mumu
if u treat dem bad, people will blame u.
JUST TREAT THEM THE YOU SEE THEM

18 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by thorpido(m): 1:10pm On Feb 07, 2018
They deserve better treatment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by passyhansome(m): 1:10pm On Feb 07, 2018
If you present yourself as TRASH you will be treated as one, SELF-ESTEEM matters Ladies always know you are a unique creature and you deserve nothing less than what you are. Also put effort in developing yourself don't be a liability in relationships, a wise woman builds her home according to the book of proverbs

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Feb 07, 2018
I pity girls of my generation sha, they've already redefined themselves as object for sexual satisfaction alone
if you don't have laptop you will be disgraced openly as though its the essential requirement for dating

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by DONSMITH123(m): 1:10pm On Feb 07, 2018
:-Xhmm
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by BruncleZuma: 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
Like how they want to be treated...the last part, if you dress like an "exotic service provider" please be prepared to be addressed as one.

Servicemen asking for your boyfriend or husband... if no be you call dem come, aunty face your front and call ya man.

I treat my women with respect and they reciprocate; if you haven't sampled all 71,345,488 of us men in Nigeria please shut the fuçk up.

14 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by eleojo24: 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
What about your husband treating you like a second class human being because you had the audacity to give birth via C-section?

OP, where did you see this one?

3 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by mania92(m): 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
grin ;Dw ;Dw
cheapest data plan of all time
check my signature
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Liftedhands(f): 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
OK
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by ekensi01: 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
They are treated the way they chase after money.

I don't need to explain further.

8 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Thegamingorca(m): 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
RuthDaniels:
Preach Bro preach! cheesy

If hin like make him turn here to congregation.

Nothing will change

2 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 07, 2018
women are used as sex objects. They don't have much values in the eyes of men aside satisfying their sex huge, giving birth to children, taking care of the children while growing up and looking after the house.

And after these effort by housewives, some men will still have the Gods to raise hand to beat their wife.

it just so saddening and disheartening!

4 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Safiaa(f): 1:12pm On Feb 07, 2018
brosci:
undecided
when i was in delta state, i had a friend who was far older than me and was married to a beautiful lady. he did everything he could for this woman, supported her finacially and even started a business for her.
unfortunately the man was dischared from the army and was no longer finacially competent. his beautiful angel decided to show her true colours; she cheated publicly with every guy she found desirable, insulted the man and even stayed away from home for days......

so pls op do you know what the average nigeria man go through from women alone?
may feminism not kill you.
Is that all you have to say to counter the points? Cheating is wrong but please let's not act like its now the 'norm' for married women to be cheated on. We have now been groomed to accept that our husbands will cheat on us, but it doesn't mean the love is not there. So if that's all you can say to counter those points, then its clear that something is wrong somewhere.

6 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 07, 2018
Safiaa:
Waiting for the menist to counter these points. smiley Let me see what they have to say, because this is nothing but the truth.

The C section aspect is a fat lie.

2 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by ashewoboy(m): 1:13pm On Feb 07, 2018
they are treated as sex dolls. you should fvck them all. if you don't fvck her, another guy will fvck her.

7 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Gkay1(m): 1:13pm On Feb 07, 2018
gloria34:
regrets being a Nigerian girl. some assholes in d form of guys will still come here to spill rubbish

see u

2 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Feb 07, 2018
Women are treated like women in Nigeria or should they be treated like any other specie of mammal?

7 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 07, 2018
the OP's question is not straight foward.. how would he ask "how are women treated?" and answer the question with "how do 'some' men treat women?"
i believe that women are their worst enemy to themselves and to one another.. from the way the gossip about another, to the way they tarnish another's reputation in public.. to the way they trash talk n compare themselves to unimportant things.
if women really want to ask the question @OP's post, then it should be "how do we women treat ourselves" before generalizing and pointing it towards men.
they should do that and i'd gladly call for a coalition of both menist and feminist individuals so as to solve any algebraic issue that may still come up.
.(m(
<an= ar
an".

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 07, 2018
Nonsense of the highest order

What you wrote is extremely one sided and it's meant to gather support from ladies or pity from men(a sort of emotional blackmail). Most of the issues you raised are also not peculiar to Nigerian ladies

The world is not fair for both sexes, some of things you mentioned are going on in even some of the most advanced of societies, it is not only Nigeria.

Just recently, a gymnastics coach in united states was convicted and sentenced to three life sentences for assaulting young ladies over a period of time. Some of those ladies reported him in the past, but no one took them seriously

The current united states president, Donald Eugene Trump has a number of sexual assault cases against him, the cases his lawyers are working overtime to prevent from going to the court. Not to mention the level of slut shamming Jennifer Lewinsky (a former Bill Clinton's staff ) got for exposing an affair between Bill Clinton and herself in the 90s.

So stop this nonsense about how terrible Nigerian women have it in life already, it is a global phenomenon.

Marriage is a personal choice, that a particular lady feels the pressure to marry is no one's problem/ business

or

Don't Nigerian men equally feel the pressure to marry at a certain stage in life angry

Some of the ladies in the west also feel the pressure to marry, is that not how our yahoo boys manage to scam some of them, hun angry

In fact, Nigerian women have certain advantages that women around the globe don't necessarily have I.e. sitting around after college waiting for a fool( a rich guy) to come pay their b(p)ride price

Now! what about the victimization Nigerian men have to go through everyday, hun angry

>The insults broke guys go through everyday at the hands of sometimes equally broke ladies

>What about the refusal to believe that men can also be sexually assaulted in Nigeria

And lots more that the Nigeria men suffer

angry angry

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 07, 2018
kaluxy007:
I pity girls of my generation sha, they've already redefined themselves as object for sexual satisfaction alone
if you don't have laptop you will be disgraced openly as though its the essential requirement for dating
Laptop? My dear you need to meet ladies outside that your school. What do u expect from hungry students?

4 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Myself2(m): 1:20pm On Feb 07, 2018
Ehen see dem as dem don come again so
Everyday women this women dat, na wetin sef ?
No body dey ask how are men treated, how are sick people treated, how are orphan's treated etc
Dem no go let us hear word, na to dey shout women women upandan like say to be woman na unfortunate thing
Haba

9 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 07, 2018
Yeah good women are treated unfairly by men but much of it has to do with the way the men were raised. You can't expect a man who wasnt taught how to treat a woman to all of a sudden develop such traits when he becomes of age.

I could site an example where a dude Mum was woken from her sleep to go pound yam at 11pm and the mum got up to go do it, the boy protested that it was late that why should he not have something else to eat and the father gave him a hevty slap. I then asked the chap if he was going to do so to his wife, he said why not? That his own mother endured it, why shouldn't his wife do so too? That was the least of what I heard from him and his family.

That a man will treat a woman in a right way is heavily dependent on the sort of mother he had and how influential she was in the making of him to become a man. Ask most of these dudes who treat women like trash the sort of mother they had and the dynamics in their family. You will find the answers to your question.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Niaraland Boy I Visit Almost Rape Me (see His Picture) / An Interview With Ivvy, Lanicky And ChubbyT / When She Say She Loves You Yet Act Like She Doesnt Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.