Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? (15422 Views)

Why Are Women Crazy About Tall Men? / Why Are Women Cheating More Than Men Lately? / Why Are Women Their Own Worst Enemies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by mgtow: 5:10pm On Feb 07, 2018
Saintmary:

you are so on point. As much as I recognise the challenges facing our women in this country and in this world, I believe the best way to fight the darkness of ignorance is to shine the light of knowledge. I intend to be a woman well admired by the coming generation and to leave the world better than I met it.
I believe I am born into the world at a time like this to first live free of stereotypes then teach others how to.

Preach it sister!

1 Like

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 07, 2018
I don't have anything to say.This to me is a futile argument
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Tocheagle(m): 5:16pm On Feb 07, 2018
Feminist spotted

1 Like

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Feb 07, 2018
brosci:

invalidate?
i never tried to invalidate anything. i simply pointed out that both sexes are dealt a major blow in our society and it's in no way pecuilar to only female folks.
have you seen some typical nigeria home where the woman is the financial commando? you will feel so sorry for the man. i've seen it happened on different ocassions and about sexual assault men have their own share. i was a victim, i was 7 then

Well yes men go through abuse as well but this post was adressing the female issues. There's always freedom to start the topic on male folks
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by passyhansome(m): 5:34pm On Feb 07, 2018
Heavance:

In all honesty, many will recite this, but will be lazy to work toward this.
I don't know why some ladies feel it is okay to be inferior, or okay not to know better than a man....... really, I don't get.

1 Like

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by iRepNaija1: 6:01pm On Feb 07, 2018
brosci:
undecided
when i was in delta state, i had a friend who was far older than me and was married to a beautiful lady. he did everything he could for this woman, supported her finacially and even started a business for her.
unfortunately the man was dischared from the army and was no longer finacially competent. his beautiful angel decided to show her true colours; she cheated publicly with every guy she found desirable, insulted the man and even stayed away from home for days......

so pls op do you know what the average nigeria man go through from women alone?
may feminism not kill you.

First, just because your friend was married to an allegedly bad woman does not negate what the OP is saying. I know it's convenient to use one example to blame all women but you shouldn't do that. Second, this post isn't about what the average Nigerian dude goes through. This about another topic and you're trying rope something else in to negate what the OP is saying. If you want to talk about what Nigerian men are going through, start another thread.

At the end of the day, Nigerian society is a patriarchal society that benefits men much more than women, if at all. There are exceptions to the rule but the rule still stands.
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by iRepNaija1: 6:06pm On Feb 07, 2018
greiboy:
Nonsense of the highest order

What you wrote is extremely one sided and it's meant to gather support from ladies or pity from men(a sort of emotional blackmail). Most of the issues you raised are also not peculiar to Nigerian ladies

The world is not fair for both sexes, some of things you mentioned are going on in even some of the most advanced of societies, it is not only Nigeria.

Just recently, a gymnastics coach in united states was convicted and sentenced to three life sentences for assaulting young ladies over a period of time. Some of those ladies reported him in the past, but no one took them seriously

The current united states president, Donald Eugene Trump has a number of sexual assault cases against him, the cases his lawyers are working overtime to prevent from going to the court. Not to mention the level of slut shamming Jennifer Lewinsky (a former Bill Clinton's staff ) got for exposing an affair between Bill Clinton and herself in the 90s.

So stop this nonsense about how terrible Nigerian women have it in life already, it is a global phenomenon.

Marriage is a personal choice, that a particular lady feels the pressure to marry is no one's problem/ business

or

Don't Nigerian men equally feel the pressure to marry at a certain stage in life angry

Some of the ladies in the west also feel the pressure to marry, is that not how our yahoo boys manage to scam some of them, hun angry

In fact, Nigerian women have certain advantages that women around the globe don't necessarily have I.e. sitting around after college waiting for a fool( a rich guy) to come pay their b(p)ride price

Now! what about the victimization Nigerian men have to go through everyday, hun angry

>The insults broke guys go through everyday at the hands of sometimes equally broke ladies

>What about the refusal to believe that men can also be sexually assaulted in Nigeria

And lots more that the Nigeria men suffer

angry angry

What is up with you? Just because the OP said what he said, doesn't mean that he thinks men don't suffer. Some of y'all are so quick to complain about your woes without acknowledge the reality of the situation. Nigeria has a patriarchal society. So despite some men suffering, they still, overall benefit the most.
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by monex(m): 6:22pm On Feb 07, 2018
Blueberrie:
And some women themselves have the audacity to claim that they hate feminism undecided

they have the right to hate it.

if you think what i say is wrong then you are not a feminist

1 Like

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 07, 2018
iRepNaija1:

What is up with you? Just because the OP said what he said, doesn't mean that he thinks men don't suffer. Some of y'all are so quick to complain about your woes without acknowledge the reality of the situation. Nigeria has a patriarchal society. So despite some men suffering, they still, overall benefit the most.
You missed my point bro

I clearly stated that whatever most Nigerian women believe they are going through is not entirely peculiar to Nigeria but a global phenomenon with solid examples. Thus, It doesn't matter whether you classify Nigeria as a patriarchal society or not.

In addition, I also clarified myself in my subsequent posts that the problems women face in our societies are most times not unrelated to problems men face in our societies I.e. you can't tackle the women's aspect without addressing the men's aspects

For example, a guy might feel the need to retaliate when broke shamed by a lady by slut shamming the lady in return. A simple article only addressing issues in a one sided way like this can't solve that.

Now, I am not saying that is the best response from the guy, but articles like this will encourage such behaviors because it only addressed one side of the coin.

Those ladies broke shamming men will read this and feel it is a justification for their actions. On other hand, most guys broke shamed will read this article and feel the society doesn't care about there own feelings.

hope you get the drift now.
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Emm86: 6:43pm On Feb 07, 2018
See matter o
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 7:54pm On Feb 07, 2018
greiboy:
So if I am dead wrong like you claim, what solution or solutions did the op proposed in his write up?

So if enlightened young men need to stop blaming women as you have claimed, should enlightened young women blame men for all the terrible situations they encounter

op raised issues around marriages. i.e. Pressure to get married, how does that have anything to do with men?

op raised issues around slut shamming women in top positions, yet you and I know ladies do that to their fellow ladies more often than men?

In India not to long ago a lady was gang raped in a moving bus, The united of American president is sitting on cases of sexual assault, a number of Hollywood directors were just exposed recently for cases of sexual assault after years of getting away with it. So what is the difference with these countries and African countries? since it is a unique problem on the Africa continent like you have claimed

Look my friend don't slip into a delusion on how terrible African men have been.
Most people who might have slipped into one will probably be awoken by the harsh reality of the world.

In fact, I might have written a better article than the op on issues that bother women in our societies, but that will not change anything much in reality. You wanna know why my friend. The answer is very simple, none of such article or biased write up will solve the problems. The op needs to address the issue from both sides of the coin

Look at issues from both side of the perspective for a change, I am sure you will find your solutions there
India is just like Nigeria when it comes to gender issues.
However what was the response of the society regarding the girl raped on the bus and the holly wood director accused of sexual assault??

Be honest, had it been these things occurred in Nigeria what would be our societies response?
Especially regarding the Hollywood director.

The reason why women blame men is simple, the men are not willing to submit to change. A Nigerian woman is still seen as less than a man.
Which should not be!
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 07, 2018
YelloweWest:

India is just like Nigeria when it comes to gender issues.
However what was the response of the society regarding the girl raped on the bus and the holly wood director accused of sexual assault??

Be honest, had it been these things occurred in Nigeria what would be our societies response?
Especially regarding the Hollywood director.

The reason why women blame men is simple, the men are not willing to submit to change. A Nigerian woman is still seen as less than a man.
Which should not be!
Really bro, so America is just like the Nigerian society too?

oh you think they will not be tried and put behind bars, aleast for the sake of the media in Nigeria as well. Why haven't majority of the Hollywood cases including trump's case made it to the court in even the United states of America?

So men don't want to change as you have claimed, what about ladies? Are they ready to change ?
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 8:16pm On Feb 07, 2018
greiboy:
Really bro, so America is just like the Nigerian society too?

oh you think they will not be tried and put behind bars, aleast for the sake of the media in Nigeria as well. Why haven't majority of the Hollywood cases including trump's case made it to the court in even the United states of America?

So men don't want to change as you have claimed, what about ladies? Are they ready to change ?
You don't seem to understand what I typed.

I meant to say though India is patriarchal like Nigeria, they raised their voices and demanded justice for the rape and murder of that girl.
Days of mourning was declared.

Who will do that in Nigeria?

As for America, of course they are nothing like us. The rights of an individual is upheld irrespective of gender.

If that holly wood director was from Nigeria and did what he did would anyone hold him accountable?
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2018
YelloweWest:

You don't seem to understand what I typed.

I meant to say though India is patriarchal like Nigeria, they raised their voices and demanded justice for the rape and murder of that girl.
Days of mourning was declared.

Who will do that in Nigeria?

As for America, of course they are nothing like us. The rights of an individual is upheld irrespective of gender.

If that holly wood director was from Nigeria and did what he did would anyone hold him accountable?
It appears you continue to skip the obvious, just to make your point.

I simply asked that if Indian is patriarchal society like Nigeria, what about America that elected a president that wants to grab women by the pussy? hun undecided grin

in Nigeria, if such cases were reported and it gathers such a high media coverage, I am pretty sure that some people will be arrested, but whether such cases will go to the court or justice will be served depends on our broken justice system, not men

1 Like

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by GiantParrot(m): 8:41pm On Feb 07, 2018
After reading the OP, one would be tempted to believe Nigerian women receive only terribly bad treatment. No favourable treatments whatsoever. The write-up is obviously disingenuous and has achieved its purpose of appealing to the emotions of its intended audience -
judging by how pleased some of them are on this thread. So pleased that they became blind to the patent bias. This OP better serves as an answer to the question: In what ways are women treated badly in Nigeria?

I'll wager that overall, if one considers all the good and the bad, only the rich, powerful and connected receive a net favourable treatment in Nigeria. Their gender is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by toro92: 9:41pm On Feb 07, 2018
‎@OP raised some ills which still exist in some quarters however the generalisations in the context of how women have it bad because of men is not totally true.

Since the whole issue of equality, unfairness this and that started I have try to imagine a lot of scenarios.

Biologically the male is stronger. I studied animals a lot to see how the male behaves ... it is same as men: Aggressive, wild, daring, energy...

Have you seen a male goat or cock or lion in it full display of might? Then you will understand. Even as the Queen is referred and pampered in the ant colony or Kingdom, the male ant do the dirty work i.e the soldier ant and the rest female attends to the Queen or takes care of the little ones from the Queen. That is why any weak male is ostracised in the animal Kingdom. 

The female chicken, goat, lion even monkeys and chimps are usually calm, docile and meek. Looks to the male for protection. I was watching a female goat and her "pikin" eating. Trust me the male from the kids bullied the mother off the food.

Evidently from that there is one clear difference : Strength. Male and female are not equal in strength. Which is why the female in the animal don't have it fair also because generally the world is not fair and don't expect it till the world ends, to be fair (fairness is an illusion).

Back to the human kingdom

Since strength won't work for women, it becomes logical to look for a way out which is by using common sense, brain, self -esteem etc.

Now the male is human, he knows wit'out using his sense he is at disadvantaged. He engages the common sense plus his strength making him at a level higher than the female with the brain.

Now talking about the playing field of fairness, equality and equity.

Fairness and equity are almost if not totally the same. Equality is when three boys are standing on the side of a fence trying to watch the other side each of them gets same height of stool to climb on. Each is taller than the other by 20cm each. Meaning A is 20cm shorter than B and B is 29m shorter than C. A is the shortest and C is the tallest. the fence is 100m high. C can see more than enough on the stool, B can see with his head barely above the fence. A on the other hand can't see nada. Even with the stool, his total height is no more than the middle of the fence. That's is equality.. and this is how the society actually operates.

Equity and fairness in the other hand considers height of each boys and determines that A should get a taller stool and B something smaller than A's stool. C is given something shorter than the three. At the end of the day, they all have the same level of sight at same height to see the other side of the fence.

What women want is equity. I don't support domestic violence nor belittle someone. Everybody should have a level playing field. Women on the other hand needs to learn how to be independent and stand strong for herself and think we'll with the brain. Ask most Nigerian (and African) women (not all) What is their end game? To get married!. No talk of I want to be a senator, the record breaking scientist or the richest woman in the world. The drive to be ahead is low (not in all case) and want to have it easy. [I can't remember hearing a woman be told work hard(only in academics sha and some organisations) and get rich.]. 

In secondary school I attended while majority of the boys were saying I want science class (though it is  I know it is tough)..cos I want to be a Doctor, an engineer, an astronaut etc.. our ladies on the other hand were like who wants what is tough. Abeg let me choose art or commercial class jare where I will set down in the office. This shows that the female competition spirit is low in comparative to the boys. And it is from here you know women that choose to be a second class citizen for herself. 

Only 10% of what OP said are corrects... the rest are goofs..

What about getting married off before you're ready? Getting pulled out of school to become a wife? Getting VVF while giving birth?

Ans: I acknowledge this is practised in the north. This Generalisation is not entirely true.

What about being blamed for your husband hitting you? And when you open up to talk about it, you are blamed some more.

Ans: We understand some women have unbridled tongue and verbal abuse often resorted to due to verbal abuse. (not in support of any who practice any of it)

‎What about male compatriots telling you to shut up because you're a woman & shouldn't be talking where men are?

Ans: OP might need to present evidence on this in this 21st century workplace. And any woman this has happened to should come out and state it. We have heard of office feud and arguments. Words are said and exchanged in the heat of the moment.

What about your husband treating you like a second class human being because you had the audacity to give birth via C-section?

Ans: This is outta context. This doesn't qualified as a point to be generalised as a factor.

What about everyone believing that every material thing you have acquired is as a result of you laying on your back & opening your legs for it?

Ans: Where women sexually objectify themselves and use sex to get what they want. This is so obvious some women use sex to get what they need. Number of guys using sex to get rich is not that significant in numbers.

What about being sexually assaulted and harassed with your attacker telling you that you ought to be pleased because you're beautiful?
Ans: This is purely illogical in the context of violence against women. Not qualified to be generalise.

What about being treated like you don't matter because you're female and would end up bearing another man's surname? Being educated last because your brother(s) are more useful to the family than you are?

Ans: This happens in the seventies then, unless it is still being practise where OP is. This is probably not existing in West here.

No educated or normal reasoning man believes that woman is good for is cooking your food & bearing your children.

What about men raping women, female children as young as 2/3 years old? 

Ans: What about women raping men. No man will come out to say he was raped.

What about being slut shamed, single shamed because you're a woman who wouldn't conform to the nonsense patriarchial nature of your society?

Ans: What about the guys being broke-shamed. From my true life experiences and what i see going on in the world today, a *man is judged and valued by his success and achievements and not necessarily morals and virtues*. Its a vain society we live and it would be naive to pretend not to see the obvious.

Ask most of these women what equity, equality and fairness means, they will begin to tell you about how they want to be controlling everyone and assume a position which they are not even qualified for; how they want to get admission into Unilag or OAU with just 65 in JAMB. They talk about they are being marginalized and all that. Marginalised by who? They will start blabbing.

In short, women need to stop seeing themselves as victims, have good esteem and stand up for herself not to accept whatever the society thinks of her

2 Likes

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by toro92: 9:47pm On Feb 07, 2018
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Emanodimo(m): 2:30am On Feb 08, 2018
There are some habits, some of them need to do away with... But rather they believe it is a normal...

Feminist should teach them to stop booking space for someone at a distance.

Feminist ain't seeing nothing wrong with indecent dressing untill a rape case on adult happens.

Feminist should be applauded for the shift in economics paradigm... Now, some of them get well paid...

Feminist should understand that nature will prevail... Man and woman can't fit in thesame shoe
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 11:18am On Feb 08, 2018
greiboy:
It appears you continue to skip the obvious, just to make your point.

I simply asked that if Indian is patriarchal society like Nigeria, what about America that elected a president that wants to grab women by the pussy? hun undecided grin

in Nigeria, if such cases were reported and it gathers such a high media coverage, I am pretty sure that some people will be arrested, but whether such cases will go to the court or justice will be served depends on our broken justice system, not men

Trump said it. He never grabbed anyone's pùssy o
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by dinewithoyin(f): 11:30am On Feb 08, 2018
This part of the world not value women.... it's shouldn't continue like that.... we has women should stand up for ourselves.... we shouldn't let anyone decide what we want.... let's be the drivers of our life.... Know your worth... and know that you are God's masterpiece
Let's DARE TO DREAM....
LETS BUILD OUR EMPIRE WITH OR WITHOUT A MAN...
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 08, 2018
YelloweWest:

Trump said it. He never grabbed anyone's pùssy o
Yeah sure, and you know this how?

I just noticed your comment on a thread where a lady was complaining about random men grabbing her butt, I can't help but notice you tagging a guy an animal for supporting the idea

Well, I think you are actually doing the same here, by suggesting that even though trump said it, No body saw him do it. smiley
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 1:44pm On Feb 08, 2018
greiboy:
Yeah sure, and you know this how?

I just noticed your comment on a thread where a lady was complaining about random men grabbing her butt, I can't help but notice you tagging a guy an animal for supporting the idea

Well, I think you are actually doing the same here, by suggesting that even though trump said it, No body saw him do it. smiley
But has anyone accused trump of grabbing their pùssy?
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2018
YelloweWest:

But has anyone accused trump of grabbing their pùssy?
Yes, quite a lot. Haven't you read that his lawyers are working really hard to prevent his case from going to court
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by YelloweWest: 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2018
greiboy:
Yes, quite a lot. Haven't you read that his lawyers are working really hard to prevent his case from going to court
Court??

The only investigation on going about trump I know of is the Russian probe
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Feb 08, 2018
YelloweWest:

Court??

The only investigation on going about trump I know of is the Russian probe
You don't know about his sexual assault case and allegations before

knock yourself out

A little research on your own should also help

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/nov/30/donald-trump-sexual-misconduct-allegations-full-list

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:08am On Feb 09, 2018
Safiaa:
Is that all you have to say to counter the points? Cheating is wrong but please let's not act like its now the 'norm' for married women to be cheated on. We have now been groomed to accept that our husbands will cheat on us, but it doesn't mean the love is not there. So if that's all you can say to counter those points, then its clear that something is wrong somewhere.
whats with u and countering d points?
Though i dnt hv tym 2read all thru but i get it, well for starters women are under men by God's default, why do u think women cover up & cant drive in most muslim countries, so it cuts across border dear, its not about 9ja men, anyway back home, men who humiliate women(of which am guilty anyway), is just a matter of free! Just u fail to counter ur hourly sins though Jesus died 4u, again freewill!
Which brings me to d fmale folks, u c according leading research d human brains conditions d subconscious to treat others according to perceived one of several "formed" HB responses, these are brainwaves, pardon my sci.analysis simply put dat men grew thru teen to adulthood exp all d phenomenal narratives dat incorrigible represent viz. Materialism, money 4sex, wickedness even bible represent wickedness with women, need i list more narratives? Cos d list is endless. Ok Now these men transform dis repeat exp in2 infinitesimal psychodynamic patterns thus forming BH response clusters. In a nutshell if ur a man, & all ur life or most of it u'v know women to gold diggers, exhausting dependent on men (ur mum, hyper.), narrow minded; basically, cheap 60%, easily manipulated or decieved 89%, low moderate IQ 70%, nagging, insulting 95%, wicked, attention-seeking, pleasure for highest bidder hot-pant triggers, highest STD carrier vessels, spiritually possessed 78%, virtually empty; having almost nothing to offer except sex, advice dat will favor dem2 if atall, however more negatives lik poor health, diseases, financial deficit, public humiliation, betrayal (eg cow-riding ur gateman bcoz ur always busy making to feed her or ur guy bcoz he has pink lips), nagging & lazy-ing around, headache/heart attack (why do u think 98% men die b4 their wives esp via heart attack?) to mention a few. So just imagine all these & u still blame men?

now I could go on & on..i'll write u a textbook if i still need clear ur doubt
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:41am On Feb 09, 2018
Despite all the negatives the Nigerian woman is strong and virtuous I’ve learnt that sometimes it’s not how much you have it’s the God in you that can turn any situation in life.

Someone called me that today almost moved me to tears o what others don’t see some will appreciate

Went for an interview and the trainer was going on about who is on dating sites lol it was so unprofessional
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Tunks2017(m): 10:06am On Feb 09, 2018
Nigeria doesn't need any feminist mentality right now angry
If any woman wants to start any feminist nonsense, they will fail in Nig............

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 16, 2018
Sheunma:
CS resulting in babies having weaker immune system shocked and developing infections like asthma embarassed where on earth did you learn such nonsense

Look up microbiome and it's relation to newborn babies.
Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by phazotron(m): 2:41pm On Feb 17, 2018
The op is wondering how we treat these useless creatures? Well op I will give you the answer:

WE TREAT THEM BETTER THAN THEY DESERVE!

1 Like

Re: How Are Women Treated In Nigeria? by ubunja(m): 7:57am On Feb 26, 2018
mgtow:

I quite understand your point dear. My own point is that women should learn to do away with victim mentality. All the things the OP listed (of which most are valid) will not change the way the people in our society act and behave. These beliefs and values have been passed down from generation to generation on the basis of religion, ethnicity and our values as a people. I don't believe this will change any time soon.

My point is, how does this stop a woman from achieving her full potential? IT DOESN'T! She can still go to school, graduate, make her own money and be the change she wishes to see within her circle of influence. This whole thing of bemoaning how women have it bad and men have it good is quite tiring because quite frankly life is kicking all our asses both men and women.

Ever wondered why men die quicker? It's hard on both sides.

Just wanna engage in a simple discourse o, no insults if you can manage that lol
my niggar. i appreciate this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why You Should Never Masturbate Ever Again: By Victor Pride / She Loves Me But She's So Ugly / Miss & Mr Nairaland June 2013 Contest - Complaints And Suggestions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.