Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? (26570 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / 9 Most Overrated Players In World Football Right Now / Is Victor Moses Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by PoDeep(m): 9:00am On Mar 07, 2007
Rooney dey try o!
Beckham is wasted!
Fabregas is a dissapointment!
Henry,Drogba,Deco,Gerrard,Kanu,Martins etc still dey represent.
Baptista & Lehmann are like curses to arsenal.Wenger had better get rid of them.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by jydoh(m): 9:06am On Mar 07, 2007
4 Play (m)   Who Is The Most Over-rated Footballer?
« on: March 05, 2007, 06:14 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Certain footballers have a fearsome reputation that has no connection with reality.I constantly have to wonder what all the fuss is about

Wayne Rooney springs to mind.He has not had a good consistent performance since Euro 2004 but yet is constantly hailed as if he is the new Pele(witness England's agonisation over his potential abscence in the last World Cup)

Sure he scores some spectacular goals but has yet to perform consistently over an entire season

Deco of Barcelona is another media hype.That man is a shadow of his former self in his early days at Porto when he used to score plenty of goals.I even thought his performance under Mourinho was not as good as is made out now.He was much better before Mourinho became manager of Porto .

Fabregas!That boy is as deadly in front of goal as Emile Hesky yet is hailed as the new Guardiola.His ball winning skills are non-existent and he is one of the prime reasons Arse-anal are in 4th place

There are plenty of others but these are my top 3)  

i guess u just dey biased 4 ur view. what of Beckham and d likes what else do u want 4rm deco and fabregas dt appears underneath the praise line for ronaldinho and henry. abeg be factual.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 10:07am On Mar 07, 2007
I think young players should be spared this title, if not then we have a long list.

I do not know why someone would attack Rooney and Fabregas or Even Ronaldo or Drogba not when they are in form. Fabregas has the highest assists in the EPL this season and earns a paltry 40k Yes, a mere 40k or more now. some Goats earn above 100k and are nowhere to be found shocked

Where is Fernando Torres?
Where is Tevez and Mascherano? Everyone thought West Ham should finish top 5 this season but they are leading the rear.
What's happening to Darren Bent?
Has Shevy returned half of what chelsea invested in him? Let's even leave Chelsea alone with highest percent of Overrated players shared with Real Madrid.
What's happening to Reyes and Robinho and is Beckham's FAT contract even worth it?

There is GREAT danger in writing players off because fans only open their wide mouths when players are not in-form. These guys are the best in the world when they regain their form so it's only a matter of time. No player is overrated, only that some clubs are too greedy to sign NAMES and HYPEs!

If you have the money, you can have a quick go at Yekini instead! grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by LoverBwoy(m): 10:23am On Mar 07, 2007
Fabregas? thats pure bias mate!
David Beckham i dont think so!

Rooney lost it!
Robinho is a bloody waste, he should come to the EPL
Kasilas or casillas that Real Madrid goal keeper
Ronaldinho in the EPL will be an average player
Mikel Obi is our very own Parker(newcastle) shine shine bobo has no future in the game at top level lipsrsealed

sjayking:

All England player are overrated. The likes of bobby charlton till their present. Worst of them all is Rio Ferdinard. The guy looks like someone just out of a drug rehab. His much hyped move from westham 2 manU was the greatest deceit in football history. Shaun Wright Philips. Bechkam, Roöney does nt come near an Obina Nsofor, and I think he's lieing about is age.

went from leeds to man u
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 10:25am On Mar 07, 2007
Christino, u don come again o, lol
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kinzolic(m): 10:28am On Mar 07, 2007
I think most english players are over-rated
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 10:33am On Mar 07, 2007
@Christino

You can't call the likes of Sheva overated cos they have done their bit,age is simply catching up with them.The fact that a player cannot continue to deliver as he hits 30 years does not make him overated.

The most overated ones are the young ones ;Fabregas,Torres e.t.c

By the way,what has Owen Hargreaves done that makes him a £17 million target ?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 10:52am On Mar 07, 2007
Still on the Beckham issue.

FYI, Becksy has been in the Premiership since 1995 and has been
an oustanding talent from the first day he dorned United Shirt. What
makes him over rated please? The guy is over 30 and you expect him
to still be the same guy of 5 - 10 years ago? Na wah o.

I am not sure Pele was still scoring at Old age like he was doing in his
teens and twenties. I am not sure that would have made him over rated.

Prolly we need to check the true meaning of over rated and then we will
be able to make HONEST assessment. cool
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by jgirl3: 11:04am On Mar 07, 2007
This question is not even hard. It's David Beckham - how can someone be earning 50 million per year just because he's a celeb?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:10am On Mar 07, 2007
He is not any celeb, he is DAVID BECKHAM, more than a footballer  wink he is a walking business  cool
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 11:26am On Mar 07, 2007
I think the guy has sown, so let him reap the
fruit of his labour.

All thanks to Posh grin grin grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 11:33am On Mar 07, 2007
David Beckham is a walking billboard.If people continue to buy merchandise due to him,so be it.He was a great player during his time
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by nightrider: 11:42am On Mar 07, 2007
Please David beckham is not Overrated in anyway. For long spells when Real madrid was playing rubbish David Beckham was the best player

At Manu Becks was definately the best right wing midfielder in the world. His crosses where as accurate as a courier service. He used to post his balls staright to yorke and coles heads. He made a mediocre striker like Dwight Yorke look world class because of his play down that right wing.

Ever since becks left manu , Man u hasn't been a worthy contender to the throne.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by superman(m): 11:58am On Mar 07, 2007
hold on people, superman comin through!

beckham is always and has be overated! no one is sayin he aint useful in some place like set pieces like crosses and free kicks! we know that! but hes ok anyway.

Fabregas over rated, u must be jokin. scandalous it is.

mikel overated ! so far it doesnt look like that, the man himself has taken a lot of stick, he is a human being, he is comin of hard time, so maybe u need to buy some time for now before judging. he actually was commended a lot for his contribution in their bar vs chl game in the position makalele operates. chelsea coudnt do jack until he came on, so maybe emm yea.

like so people usually qoute "as for" overating a player i think ashley cole is better than rio fed and he is the second best in the world after emm roberto calros. but we know things can change still.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 12:16pm On Mar 07, 2007
4play, what is ur definition of overrated I repeat!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 12:18pm On Mar 07, 2007
kitaun:

4play, what is your definition of overrated I repeat!

Same as it is in the English Language
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 12:31pm On Mar 07, 2007
Then u been spewing bunkum all thread long! Hasnt Deco and Fabrepass lived up to the hype surrounding them? Fabregas is not a good goalscorer and so fcuks what? Is he a Striker? How many goals did Keano score in relation to his career years? How many have u seen d likes of Makalele score? Remind urself of Okocha's 70 something shots in d premiership without scoring few seasons ago! How many has that chicken Carrick scored sef or even ur Gambian turkey O'shea? Leave Fab4 jare, the boy is in a world of his own
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 12:35pm On Mar 07, 2007
@kitaun

Keane,Makelele,Carrick were all holding midfielders.The correct comparison should be with Lampard,Scholes
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by loyika(m): 12:39pm On Mar 07, 2007
4play grin

don't be dumb, How is Carrick a bloody holding Midfielder

cool GOONER 89
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 12:42pm On Mar 07, 2007
loyika:

4play grin

don't be dumb, How is Carrick a bloody holding Midfielder

@Loyika

A holding midfielder plays in front of the back four .That is what Carrick does.He starts from a deep position that means he can't get enough onto the positions that will allow him have a shot at goal

What do you think he is?An attacking midfielder

No wonder you support Arse-anal.You don't even know what a holding midfielder is?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by loyika(m): 12:48pm On Mar 07, 2007
Who made him holding MF, the Scum , cause he got forward alot when he was a Spud One to ponder

cool GOONER 89
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 12:53pm On Mar 07, 2007
@Loyika

At Spurs he was a holding midfielder.Whether he gets forward or not is irrelevant.Compared to Keane ,he is the quintessential holding MF.Keane was a box to box player that often left the back 4 exposed.

Its little things like this that let you know the football afficionados from the rest.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by loyika(m): 12:59pm On Mar 07, 2007
Now! Now!! 4play, lets not be getting any ideas, shall we my son grin

cool GOONER 89
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 1:03pm On Mar 07, 2007
@Loyika a.k.a Is Carrick A Holding Midfielder?

You Arse-anal fans never cease to baffle me with your football illiteracy grin

Are you still suffering the after effects of McCarthy grin

I remember last season,Arse-anal fans were going crazy over Senderos,I thought then he was overated.I think I have been vindicated
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 1:08pm On Mar 07, 2007
4play, like u have never seen Fab play as a holding midfielder? U talk of Carrick that has Scholes to thank 4 not exposing his many frailties, talking of him in d same breadth as Keane ? I mentioned Okocha and son, u kept mute but quick 2 point out positions!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by loyika(m): 1:13pm On Mar 07, 2007
Ok since you decide to be stupid, let me give you what you want.

Now to deal with this, the topic was about Over rated Players. In general you look at Players according to different Criterias, Age, Position, and general Contribution to Club and Country.

Now as usual you always seems to bring up stupid stuff. Fabregas has proven to be the best of his age, There are not many players at his Age that have delivered what Fabregas has delivered, whether as a Holding Midfielder, attacking Midfielder or whatever midfielder, MUPPET!! Awards and accolades are not handed out based on what side of Midfield you play in, as long as you are the best. And sooner or later Fabregas will get the Awards he deserves, Every Pundit around the Globe recognises his talent (like they do Mikel, difference being, Mikel is not really given an avenue at Chelsea to demonstrate what he has, and not predicting what might or might not happen, he might never be) So your views on the lad holds no water.

It has nothing to do with the fact that he plays for Arsenal, Eboue is a huge talent, and could be a great player, but he is a MOFO and that will ruin him. but playing for Arsenal will not make me praise him and forget his stupidity as a player. Give credit to whom due. People recognise Scholesy and Giggys beyond being Scum, because their talent came through and is admired by all. No coach and i repaet, NO COACH would not jump at the chance to sign Francesc Fabregas. Whether 4play likes him or not. That shows how much YOU know about football.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 1:20pm On Mar 07, 2007
Fabregas is an attacking midfielder and he will be judged on that basis.

On that basis it is appalling that he has scored fewer goals than Vidic.

Where were you when Guillem Ballague and other luminaries in the Spanish media were calling him for him to be dropped from a starting place in the national team?

Best player his age?You are having a laugh .He is going to be 20 this year.Is he better than Messi,Sergio Aguerro?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Mystique(f): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2007
Beckam is definatley the most overrated player (sheesh)
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 1:28pm On Mar 07, 2007
4play, u talk out of ur @$$!! When did Fabregas become an established 1st team player in the Spanish team?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by loyika(m): 1:38pm On Mar 07, 2007
read this boyo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4965570.stm

let me put up some stuff here

"Against Bolton, Carrick spent most of his time in the holding midfield role that could see him earn a starting spot for England.

As Bolton bombarded Spurs with their own brand of direct football, Carrick had to abandon his playmaking (play making, thought he was a natural Holding MF) and concentrate on mostly defensive duties, sitting just in front of the back four and behind a midfield three."

"Carrick has been in fabulous form recently for Spurs. It is no coincidence that the White Hart Lane club are enjoying their best season for years with the in-form Geordie driving them forward from midfield. OK    undecided"

CARRICK'S COMPETITION
Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Jermaine Jenas, Owen Hargreaves, Ledley King, Kevin Nolan

Wow are they all HMF as well undecided

"Carrick's one fault is that he does not get his name on the scoresheet often enough and it is a facet of his game he must work on."

Really shocked How can he score more goals, since 4play says he is a Holding MF, and should stay back, i mean how many gaols has MAKA scored (A recognised Holding MF by the whole footballing community)

Like i said, Midfielders are Midfielders, and Accolades are not given for whether you are a Holding Midfielder or back to Back MF.

What has Messi done, for Barca or Argie, that Cesc hasn't done 4 Spain and Arsenal

cool GOONER 89
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by tonmax(f): 1:49pm On Mar 07, 2007
SO Who Is The Most Over-rated Footballer?

Wayward  Rooney
Rolling Robinho
Fat Frank

ha ha hhah hah ha ha!!
cluck cluck cluk!!!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 1:52pm On Mar 07, 2007
@Loyika

You are talking utter drivel.

References to Carrick "playmaking" does not mean he is a playmaker anymore than references to Clichy,Neville attacking mean that they are attackers.They are still defenders

If you think there is no difference between Scholes/Fabregas(attacking midefielders) and Carrick/Makelele(holding midfielders) that shows how much you know of football

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

NFF Chairman, Super Eagles Players Visit Babajide Sanwo-Olu / Liverpool Join Sevilla, Others In Race For Onuachu / Lille OSC Celebrates Osimhen After Scoring & Assisting For The Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.