Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? (26598 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / 9 Most Overrated Players In World Football Right Now / Is Victor Moses Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Razorr(f): 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2007
4play, are you sure you went to school? My guess is that you only finished primary school.

Having said that, what that report is saying, if you know how to read, is that the guy is indispensable to Chelsea. It says he can terminate his 5 year contract, if he chooses to, at the end of this season. But note that Lampard's agent has said it's not likely. There is no where in that report, where it was mentioned that Chelsea doesn't want to renew his contract.

Next time, please open your eyes and read well before coming out to spew bumkums!  angry
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Akolawole(m): 5:03pm On Mar 08, 2007
4Play

It is an open secret that i am a chelsean to the core and i dont need to proof that to you.

Lampard's rumour is seasonal and for the past 3 years, he's been linked with Barca. What comes out of it?

NOTHING.

The agent can say anything he want.

Do you know how much Lamps make in Chelsea in Merchandise?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 5:11pm On Mar 08, 2007
@RuuDie

My problem with Larson is this.Most of his legend is based on what he did at Celtic,I do not hold the Scottish League in high regard.He did have a succesful cameo role at Barca but it was only that,a cameo role.

If you look beyond his time at Celtic,his record is not that spectacular.36 goals in 93 games for Sweded.Berbatov of Spurs has scored 34 goals in 54 for Bulgaria.Even Van Persie has a better goals ratio for his national team not to talk of Van Nistlerooy.

At Feyernood,his record was similarly uninspiring.At Barca,he scored about 10 goals in 41 games(Solsjkaer this season has scored 10 goals for Utd in 21 games)

So it all boils down to what he did at Celtic in a league that is hardly top quality.Fowler at least was one of the best strikers that graced the Premiership in his early days at Liverpool.

What I have learnt from this is that many people on NL started watching the Premiership relatively recently.They don't remember the 90s when Fowler was one of the best finishers in the biz
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 5:21pm On Mar 08, 2007
@Razorr

Razorr:

Having said that, what that report is saying, if you know how to read, is that the guy is indispensable to Chelsea.
No cretin,the report itself does not say that Lampard is indispensable,the report says only that Lampard's agent describes his employer,Lampard,as indispensable.An opinion that any discerning mind would not attribute much importance to,would be surprising if he said his employer was dispensable

Razorr:

It says he can terminate his 5 year contract, if he chooses to, at the end of this season. But note that Lampard's agent has said it's not likely.

True,but that does not exclude the possibility that[b] he might leave[/b].Instead you have the admitted the existence of such an exploitable loophole hence confirming my initial statement
Razorr:

There is no where in that report, where it was mentioned that Chelsea doesn't want to renew his contract.
True madam but then that is why I think you are a cretin for nowhere in my initial posts did I say or imply that Chelski don't want to renew his contract

Razorr:

Next time, please open your eyes and read well before coming out to spew bumkums! angry
Bunkum is what your posts reeks in. grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by RuuDie(m): 5:36pm On Mar 08, 2007
@ 4play,

u're a UTD fan abi? Larsson's spent a lil' under 3 months in the premiership now & i believe that u can see the difference he brought in2 that attack - granted the scottish ligue ain't particularly up to scratch when compared 2 other leagues but he's been there 4 sweden @ d world stage, he's played impressively 4 Barca (so much so that a player of Javier Saviola's quality was termed "surplus 2 requirements"wink @ an age when some other players would be thinkin of  retirement, he's come outta retirement 2 play 4 UTD & i need not remark on his time @ Old Trafford; so what are we sayin here?
if at this ripe old age 2 of d biggest clubs in d world would still be this eager to have his signature, then he must be something special don't u think?

i'm not gonna try 2 compare both guys - fowler 2 was exceptional in his prime, that cannot be ignored; but Larsson, u cannot say is an over-rated player, if at his age he can still perform this good @ the highest level of football then he's worth all the hype he's gotten all thru his celtic days - why on earth do you think celtic holdin on2 him 4 so long?
liken Larsson's case 2 Ole's - can u say Ole is over-rated?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by DrNiyi1(m): 5:42pm On Mar 08, 2007
a lot of footballers live on past glory, so you cld say maradona was over-rated at italia 90, it doesn't mean he didnt play well, it just means he didn't leave up to Mexico '86 standards. Rooney's not overrated, he is a very gifted ,tenacious and intelligent footballer, but his biggest admirers would agree he has been inconsistent this season. ronaldo's not overated, he has 16 goals in the preiership already from wide positions, that's more than luck. fabregas is not, it's true he doesn't mark and his goal-scoring is limited, but he has VISION(the eye for that killer pass) and the arse always look dangerous when he's on the ball, Carrick also has vision, he's not overated but he's definitely overpriced, which is not his fault.
beck's - best crosser of a ball i've seen in football, no speed, no fancy skills, poor tackler but the best crosser of a ball from the right wing, better than finidi even
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by RuuDie(m): 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2007
Dr. Niyi,

i luv d way u put it down but i beg 2 disagree about 1 thing - M.Carrick being over-priced. i watched him with spurs & now with UTD; when d season began i felt he was a waste of dough but now i know better, d guy is worth every dime of dat 18m & maybe some mo' - he's had 2 refine his game somewhat & what is amazin is d time dat its taken him 2 do so - a fast learner u can say & he hardly looks like some1 who just came in2 d UTD fold!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 08, 2007
Why is nobody mentioning Ronaldinho here?. . .Not only is he not the world's best player, he's as lazy as they come.

Another guy that believes his own hype is Zlatan Ibrahimovic!

The whole Nigerian Super Eagles, they're all overrated and cannot play!

As for the Carrick and Cesc. debate, one guy here http://skysportsfanzone.dubitlimited.com/message/list/50830?1=1&page=2 just said what I had in mind:

Carrick can pass well in space. Keane could tackle, pass under pressure, score goals, find time on the ball, change games and boss midfield even when facing the likes of davids and Zidane in their prime. You've  red tinted spectacles here mate. Even Alonso is better at carricks game than carrick and has more strings to his bow. So to rate carrick equal or above talent and quality like fabregas and keane is laughable. Us utd fans have a habit off overating players we pay big bucks for.

Carrick just doesn't dominate the midfield and needs SPACE to pass. His passes are trash under pressure and sometimes he's incospicuous. Even Muhammad Sissoko has more midfield presence than this Carrick guy. It seems the only thing he can do is pass in space and COVER (note not mark) but just stretch out his hands and cover players. He doesn't tackle well, does not pass well under pressure, don't get me started on Carrick please. 18million was alot to spend on him.

Alonso, Gilberto, Makelele, Fabregas are all better than Carrick at what Carrick does in the premiership.

Carrick isnot really rated that highly so calling him overrated will be a stretch.

Here is another post I liked from the discussion on page 4:

last post was tongue in cheek, i dont begrudge anyone air, but i stand by my assessment of carrick, he is far from a great player, i think you'd be struggling to find anyone to agree with that, he is average, not many strings in his bow, cant really play under pressure, put him beside a dm as the attacking fulcrum of this team, the opposition would smother him and we would be dull as dishwater. so in my opinion he cant replace scholes, isn't really a DM and isnt box to box. so which means we still need two more signings in CM. in two years or less he will be a back up. he has played a role this year, but to call him great or believe he can run this team ( ala cesc on his day) is fairly delusional.

dont watch motd if i can avoid it, and i base my opinions on what i see during games. there has been not one game i have watched that i thought carrick was the real deal. carrick is an average player, 3 outta five, a C, a toyota corolla.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Mar 08, 2007
though am a chesea fan, i think the most overrated player is sheva. followed by the likes of rooney.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 11:53pm On Mar 08, 2007
I said shevy was overrated because when you say a player plays fire and then buy him for over 30 million pounds (not cedes) and all he does his complete the 11, then you can't justify what he's being paid for. 30 mill and a fat weekly wage is just too much.

Forget the fact that he's old, how many older players would sell at that price?

Dude is giving far much less than the dough and that I think is buying a player who eventually falls too short of expectation. Ballack came on free but he is overrated too. I can't say they have passed their peak, but now that they are earning like never before, they are playing for fun grin

Fabregas is not overrated and is starting with the same hype that was given to Raul Gonzalez. That Torres is not being attacked is simply bias. And whoever said that dutchman is overhyped, Van Persie is better than Reyes, don't even start. As for walcott, maybe you should study him for 3 more years, it's hard to say a youth is overrated especially when he hardly features.

And these people saying G.Ronaldo is overrated will also Ronaldinho and Kaka are overrated. No doubt we'll start hearing that Nazario is also overrated even though Real let him leave on the cheap.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by zebudaya(m): 12:50am On Mar 09, 2007
beckham, shevschenko, Tevez, Rooney.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by adconline(m): 7:39am On Mar 09, 2007
David Beckham

Denilson of Brazil who played for Real Betis.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sage(m): 10:24am On Mar 09, 2007
Sheva was never overrated and neither Raul. About 50 champions league goals is not beans and is not achieved by players who are flashes in the pan.
Martins is having a better season in premiership than Sheva. But for three seasons in Seria A their names were never mentioned in the same Breath. Does this one season now mean that Martins is better than Sheva? I think not
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kachisxd: 12:19pm On Mar 09, 2007
U guys have had ur say but as far as I'm concerned, Thierry henry is ,right about now, highly overrated. U doubt me? check out what his record is right now, disorganising d gunners game against PSV it seem he's working overtime wit his wife in bed,, holler

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 12:42pm On Mar 09, 2007
Majority of guys here dont even understand what being overrated means!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sykboi(m): 1:49pm On Mar 09, 2007
The most overated soccer player is david beckham i mean i dont even know if he is as good as when he started playin soccer for the first time!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 6:46pm On Mar 09, 2007
@ Kit,

Methinks most people do not understand the difference between "CLASS" and "FORM". The more reason why i asked 4play if his "Over-rating" meant moneywise or abilitywise.

That's why there's so much confusion. Money-wise some players are of class but their form has really depreciated, some are old and shouldn't be sold for megabucks anymore but greedy clubs will still rob the bank for them. Carlos is fast losing form and I won't be surprised to see Chelsea spread their nets out if Ashley Cole ends the season, dissapointing.

You cannot judge a player's class unless you must have studied him for 4 or 6 seasons. Form is about the current season or at most the last. Class is about consistency over the years.

That is why i said it's best to spare young players, especially players under 22 years of age for strikers, for midfielders, 26 years of age, and for defenders, 29 years of age. A goalkeeper's class is not defined until he is 33/34 years old.

Talking of class, Ballack and Shevy are players of class, but looking at their present form, you can't but wonder why they give in that little for so much pay. Should I call that under-rated? No!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by superman(m): 9:59pm On Mar 09, 2007
U guys have had your say but as far as I'm concerned, Thierry henry is ,right about now, highly overrated. U doubt me? check out what his record is right now, disorganising d gunners game against PSV it seem he's working overtime wit his wife in bed,, holler

hmmmm
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 1:41am On Mar 10, 2007
Kristino, thanx a zillion jare!!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by tianshie(m): 5:00pm On Mar 10, 2007
You know how the british ballyhoo their sportsmen,look at Tim Henman for instance.
I think the most overrated footballer has to be Beckham whom I like grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 2:12am On Mar 11, 2007
Christino:

You cannot judge a player's class unless you must have studied him for 4 or 6 seasons. Form is about the current season or at most the last. Class is about consistency over the years.

That is why i said it's best to spare young players, especially players under 22 years of age for strikers, for midfielders, 26 years of age, and for defenders, 29 years of age. A goalkeeper's class is not defined until he is 33/34 years old.
To overrate an individual means to overestimate the abilities of that individual.It is illogical to suggest that a teenage player is incapable of having his abilities overrated.

Back in 1998,after the World Cup.The British media was griped by a M.Owen frenzy with many columnists comparing him to Pele  !That to me is an egregious example of the overrating or overestimation of a player's abilities.He was 18 at the time.

One does not have to wait till considerable experience is garnered by a footballer in order to judge whether the reigning opinion on the player's abilities has gone over the top.

Simply put,once opinion has been  repeatedly expressed on the ability of a player,one is entitled to judge whether such opinion constitutes and overrating of the player's ability or not.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by fadal(m): 9:17pm On Mar 11, 2007
the best football player that am feellin right now is my homeboy adebayor from TOGO.

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by tenhap(m): 11:20am On Mar 12, 2007
It definitely cannot be Cesc Fabregas. That boy is definitely good! On a good day, everything passes thru him watch watch watch!
Cristiano Ronaldo? Definitely not. That guy even b4 being at the top of his game has always been a high performance player.
Rooney? Hmmmn not very sure.
Mikel? (sorry i am supposed to be patriotic) but i think so. Except of course he shows something better.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Sean25(m): 2:00pm On Mar 12, 2007
ITS GOTTA BE

[b][/b][color=#000099][/color]
SEAN WRIGHT FOOLISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Sean25(m): 2:05pm On Mar 12, 2007
i Think the problemwith most people here is English language,wisdom and Insight

No be evribodi wey dey watch ball na hin dey SEE the ball
and no be a;ll of them get the deep understanding to be analysts
shikeina !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 11:10pm On Mar 12, 2007
@ 4Play,

Are you trying to say Owen is an unaccomplished player? trophies apart.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by fayalitte: 1:57am On Mar 13, 2007
@4Play
i guess you talk so much and end up confusing yourself or even go against your own arguement. I am sure you are a very small boy that started watching football in the year 2000. If you have been on the scene, you will know that your mentioning Larsson is sacriliege, check out sweden in 1994 and tell me larsoon is nothing.

On the issue of overating of a player, it is the english press way of boosting their own. You can only say a player is overrated if everyone is shouting of how good he is but we can all see him performing below par, but you have to also realise that players do have their low times and so you do no expect a player to play in peak form all the time. Rooney is surely overrated but we all know its cos he is english, Ronaldo is playing well but we only hope the hype will not die down after this season.
For the fool that said Drogba is overrated, i advise you to check the meaning of underrated, thsi sis a guy everyone wrote off after his first season but he doggedly kept at it with the support of the ever knowing special one and today those who wrote him off are biting their tongue and cannot muster the courage to praise skill when they see one. Alan Hanson is the biggest culprit here.
Fabregas is not even rated as being a star yet, so why are you saying he is overrated? Fabregas still has a long way to go but he need to stop acting like Viera on the field when he is stil ages away from being one and he is the type that can easly get carried away with hype.
With no apology to Arsenal; fans, i hate everything Arsenal and Arsene Wenger with a passion cos he is the most stupid coach around. will all his success he has never won the Premiership back to back , neither has he everwon the Champions league. Now he hides under the guise of building a young team
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kitaun(m): 2:15am On Mar 13, 2007
Fayalite . . .and when you were lampooning 4play on Larsonn, u sure made sense but f*cked it all up by spewing utter bunkum!! U hate Arsenal and Wenger? Like u even exist either here or anywhere else? Mumu
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by roflmao: 4:22am On Mar 13, 2007
C'mon guys this is not a debate or argument. The most over-rated footballer and indeed sportman in the history of mankind is none other than this English gay

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 11:37am On Mar 13, 2007
@4Play,

I will be happy if you can elaborate more on your Owen claim. embarassed

Are you saying Owen is overhyped abi na over rated?

hmmmmm
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 11:49am On Mar 13, 2007
@bolaoni

I gave a particular example going back to 1998 when Owen was compared to PELE.In that sense he was being overrated in respect of his abillities.

To say that someone is overrated does not mean such a person is a crap player.You can be a very good player but still overrated.

I remember back in 1997 when Lebanovsky(D.Kiev) sparked a debate when he claimed that Shevchenko was a better player than Ronaldo of Brazil.In that case,that was overrating a player.Shevchenko was then an oustanding player but was definitely not on the level of Ronaldo.

Another example was when Peter Taylor(then England youth coach) said that Rio Ferdinand would be as good as Franco Baresi.Now Ferdinand is a good defender but definitely not a Franco Baresi
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 12:02pm On Mar 13, 2007
Ok o, if that is your own definition about bin over rated then itz all Good cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Alvaro Morata Makes Bold Statement About Leaving Chelsea / AC Milan Agree Terms With Samuel Chukwueze, Medical Due This Week / Lagos Hosts First American Flagship Football Exhibition (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.