Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? (26594 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / 9 Most Overrated Players In World Football Right Now / Is Victor Moses Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sagajones: 2:54pm On Jan 26, 2008
By Far Wayne Rooneyis the most overrated player I have hear of and not seen what he has in stock for the game he is such an overrated player with no home training.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Iman3(m): 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2008
What about Adebayor? The boy is a mediocrity.

Robinho is another overrated player.Quite annoying with his thumb sucking.

John Terry,Ibrahimovich and Klose are also serious candidates.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 1:11pm On Mar 20, 2008
Saw an article in the Times that made me resurrect this thread.Here are a few interesting excerpts:

Wayne Rooney, hands down, and I'm a Manchester United supporter. He does practically nothing at international level, and until he scores 20 in the Premiership like Fernando Torres, I wish people would quit purring about him. He needs to be less of a footballer and more of a predator. Chip Barbre.

I agree with the above.Rooney is grossly overrated.I can't see why Fergie starts him ahead of Tevez when Fergie goes with one striker. Rooney's finishing is appalling,especially in one-on-one situations.

Paul Scholes doesn't play and when he does play he chokes in big games; he can't run and is even lazier than Andrea Pirlo; he can’t tackle and that makes him a liability. Twice a season he'll hit some blistering volley and for that he's hailed as a football genius. Nonsense. RJA.
I could bet my left nut that the above comment was made by a Gaynner or a Scouser. Nothing much needs to be said about the above except that the author must be a first-class cretin.

Pele. A fantastic international career, winning three World Cups (though after being injured early in the tournament, he contributed as little to Brazil’s 1962 triumph as Jimmy Greaves did to England’s 1966 victory) but what about his club career? Yes he played for Santos and scored an incredible number of goals, but neither then nor now is the Brazilian league home to the best defenders in the world. He was a Brazilian legend playing in a cosseted environment, unlike Diego Maradona who tested and proved himself in the Spanish and Italian leagues, home of great defenders, man marking and brutal tackles. Pele didn’t do that and, as such, only had half a career. He is the Matt Le Tissier of Brazil. Clarence Darrow.

More imbecility above. . . . . .certainly from a Gunner.

Andriy Shevchenko. Absolute rubbish. The biggest waste of money in football history, and probably the source of most of Chelsea's problems in the last couple of years. Simmojo.

This must from the CEO of [i]I Only Watch EPL Ignoramuses Inc[/i]Anybody who saw Shevy at D.Kiev and Milan knows that he is a legend.

The most overrated accolade would go to Michael Owen and Ryan Giggs. Resting on glorious past achievements does not give you the divine right to be on the team sheet. Alex.

Probably right in Owen's case,but Giggs. . . . . . . .that man is one of the greatest left-wingers the game has ever seen.Underrated in my opinion.

Eric Cantona. He only ever rose to the small occasions. Whenever Man United played in Europe he hid. Joshua.

Funny thing is. . . .I agree in regards to Europe.He was however highly instrumental to United's domestic resurgence.

Patrick Vieira for me. I could never see what the fuss was all about. He hardly ever scored and passed the ball back or sideways most of the time. He wasn't a bad player but everyone raved about him and I just couldn't see it. Tim H.

Don't know about that.I thought he was a rare gem while at the Arse.

I watch Zlatan Ibrahimovic play every week. If he is overrated then everybody is. He has been outstanding since joining Inter Milan, scoring more regularly than he ever did with Juventus and Ajax. He allows team-mates to score with great passes and displays tricks on the pitch with fantastic skills in minimal space. He has the bad luck to play for a team that dominates in Italy, but has huge difficulties against strong European teams. Also, his national team, Sweden, does not suit his capability. Of course, he still has some limits, but he is absolutely the best player of the past two years. Ale.

Ibra is a wastepipe.What is it. . . . .21 goals this season and 9 of them are penalties.I rate him as currently the most overrated player in Europe.

Deco: at a club with quality players such as Lionel Messi, Samuel Eto'o and Ronaldinho, it makes him look good when the team win comprehensively against lower opposition. He doesn't have the creativity others possess, lacks fitness and is now only pushing for a place warming the bench at Barcelona. Neil Thomas.

Totally agree.Had his best days in the pre-Mourinho Porto.Then he was outstanding,I'm talking of even before Jose became Porto manager.

I am happy that in the past few seasons, people have started to pick up on Lampard’s faults, especially England fans. He scores goals but what else? He contributes very little to the passing side of the game and blasts it at every chance. And where does he go in big games? The reason Liverpool won the Champions League was that Gerrard is a big game player. Liam Hanfrey.
Lampard couldn’t buy a goal in the World Cup despite having the most shots. He was woeful. Turns like a tank, average technical skills but scoring four against a basket case club like Derby County leads to plaudits. At Juventus he would be lucky to get a game. Jonas, Liverpool.
Wake up, England. Your obsession with Viking footballers like Gerrard is why you'll go even longer without winning anything. For a true reflection of a player ask someone who sees him day in day out: his coach. Rafael Benitez realised very quickly that Gerrard had to be part of his set up but didn’t want him anywhere near the brains of his team because of his poor short passing game, severe tactical indiscipline and inability to dictate tempo. That is why he entrusts the running of Liverpool to proper central midfielders like Alonso and Lucas Leiva who don’t charge around a pitch. The last time Arsenal and Liverpool met, Cesc Fabregas made 109 successful passes, Gerrard made 33, yet Sky pundits judged Gerrard man of the match. Lampard is the best goal scoring midfielder in the world. Only one midfielder, in the professional game has managed to score more than 20 goals a season for four seasons in row, and this year he will make it five. Denton.

This sort of topic won't be complete without the usual Lampard-Gerrard comparison. grin

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2008/03/martin-samuel-2.html

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by DaJunta(m): 1:40pm On Mar 20, 2008
Kaka,
C. Ronaldo, shocked
F. Torres, grin
Ronaldinho, cheesy
Messi, wink
T. Henry,
drogba, and so on grin grin grin

Oh Gerrard nko? grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bluehorizo(m): 1:47pm On Mar 20, 2008
WAYNE ROONEY
OWEN
CROUCH
ADEBAYOR
MICAH RICHARD
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Temmie10(m): 4:09pm On Mar 20, 2008
rooney overated?
ronaldo overated?

adebayo overated?

tell me one player who is not overated then,
these players contributions to their clubs have put the clubs in contention, what r u guys about?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Him(m): 4:16pm On Mar 20, 2008
John Terry
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 20, 2008
4Him:

John Terry
how?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Ibime(m): 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2008
Wayne Rooney is not overrated - because he is NOT rated.

He was rated when he was 17 but not anymore because he hasn't improved at all since then.

I cannot believe that 4Play said Deco is overrated - check your head boy!

Anyway, here is my list of overrated players:

Francesco Totti
Didier Drogba
Florent Malouda
Theo Walcott
Sydney Govou
Carlos Puyol
Steven Gerrard

I am not saying these players are rubbish - they just don't deserve the profile they recieve.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Him(m): 7:12pm On Mar 20, 2008
Ibime, with the exception of Totti i completely agree with ur list.
Roma without Totti is no team.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 7:22pm On Mar 20, 2008
Zlatan Ibrahimovic I the current overated player of the decade. I agree with Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, They should include Rio ferdinand

Eric Cantona, David Beckham are overated. I dont agree with Paul Scholes, Shevchenko and Giggs.

Looking at Europe we have Joaquin, Gilardino, The entire Inter Milan Team.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by tkb417(m): 12:50pm On Mar 21, 2008
Rooney, Adebayor, Rio, Terry, Deco, Ibrahimovic, Joaquin, Dos Santos, Walcott, . . .

How can someone say Giggs and scholes are over rated?
The person must be high on drugs
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 5:01pm On Mar 21, 2008
@Ibime

How can you say Totti is overrated? Is it because of his poor form for Italy in the World and European Cups? That is a major minus in Totti's career.However, he has been a colossus for Roma for a decade now. He won the European Golden Boot last season,he has been voted Italian Footballer of the Year 5 times now.

To me,he is one of the greatest players I have ever seen.If anything,he is underrated.I always felt,when he was still playing as a midfielder,that he was as good as Zidane was in his prime.

You rate Deco highly? Is it his goal scoring exploits(virtually non-existent) or his level of assists(relatively meager)? Deco is one of the most overrated players.I always felt Barca made a huge mistake letting Riquelme go and signing Deco.Deco is old news anyway,he is not even sure of a starting place anymore.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Chacal: 7:21pm On Mar 21, 2008
Most over-rated footballer has to be Cesc Fabregas.
Lets face it. . . . what has he won as a player for club or country?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by folahann(m): 7:52pm On Mar 21, 2008
This is not it, Fabregas is a team pl;layer and not much is being said of him.
The entire English squad is over-rated. English players are the most over-rated in the world. apart 4rm J.Cole and Gerrard though.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Chacal: 7:57pm On Mar 21, 2008
You must be high on cheap weed!!!!!!!!!

The same Cesc Fabregas some English journalists said was the best player in the world late last year?
This dude cannot even start ahead of Xavi, Alonso or Iniesta. . .
What has he won personally as a player? Nuthing.
Unless of course, u wanna count the Emirates cup and Amsterdam tournament.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by folahann(m): 8:11pm On Mar 21, 2008
C. Ronaldo isi the best player in the world as at now YES! he wasn't 7months ago and he might not be 7months from now. tongue
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bluehorizo(m): 8:20pm On Mar 21, 2008
folahann:

C. Ronaldo isi the best player in the world as at now YES! he wasn't 7months ago and he might not be 7months from now. tongue

And who asked you if he is the best or not? Read topic before you post.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Ibime(m): 11:22pm On Mar 21, 2008
4 Play:

@Ibime

How can you say Totti is overrated? Is it because of his poor form for Italy in the World and European Cups? That is a major minus in Totti's career.However, he has been a colossus for Roma for a decade now. He won the European Golden Boot last season,he has been voted Italian Footballer of the Year 5 times now.

To me,he is one of the greatest players I have ever seen.If anything,he is underrated.I always felt,when he was still playing as a midfielder,that he was as good as Zidane was in his prime.

In who's prime? Please don't start.

If you read my post, I said that I am not saying these players are poor - they just don't deserve their profile. Did you know that in Italy, Totti is considered one of the top three players in the world? OK - Name one major tournament that he has been a success in. The fact is, he flops at every major tournament. And yes, he was top scorer in Serie A last year. How many years has he been playing football and did not even trouble the goalscoring charts?

I said he is overrated because in Italy, they were incredulous that he was not voted World player of the year last season. If that is not overrated, I don't know what is.

4 Play:

You rate Deco highly? Is it his goal scoring exploits(virtually non-existent) or his level of assists(relatively meager)? Deco is one of the most overrated players.I always felt Barca made a huge mistake letting Riquelme go and signing Deco.Deco is old news anyway,he is not even sure of a starting place anymore.

No, I don't rate him as the best - but I do not think he is overrated. Don't kick Deco when he's down. Have you seen Deco play live? I have seen play against Brazil where he and Quaresma completely ran the show. For your info, he doesn't score as much at Barca because he has more defensive duties. Ronaldinho, Messi and Eto do not cross the half-way line. That is why Henk Ten Cate devised a pressing game which means that Deco is no longer an attacking midfielder, but a central midfielder.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 11:39pm On Mar 21, 2008
Ibime:

In who's prime? Please don't start.

If you read my post, I said that I am not saying these players are poor - they just don't deserve their profile. Did you know that in Italy, Totti is considered one of the top three players in the world? OK - Name one major tournament that he has been a success in.

I concede that but most of football is played at club level and Totti has been consistent.If you start using tournaments as your metric,remember people like Diouf outshone Henry in the 2002 World Cup.People like Raul and Van Nistelrooy haven't exactly set tournaments alight,does that mean they are overrated?

And yes, he was top scorer in Serie A last year. How many years has he been playing football and did not even trouble the goalscoring charts?

Na here you identify your problem.Totti was only recently converted to a striker,so how was he supposed to topping the goals charts?

Whatever you say,you can't knock 5 times Italian Footballer of the Year in one of the top 3 leagues in the world.

No, I don't rate him as the best - but I do not think he is overrated. Don't kick Deco when he's down. Have you seen Deco play live? I have seen play against Brazil where he and Quaresma completely ran the show. For your info, he doesn't score as much at Barca because he has more defensive duties. Ronaldinho, Messi and Eto do not cross the half-way line. That is why Henk Ten Cate devised a pressing game which means that Deco is no longer an attacking midfielder, but a central midfielder.

Defensive wetin? Barca spend most of their time on the attack,how many times is he performing the said defensive role?

Even when he was at Porto,in the season they won the UCL,he only scored 4 or 5 goals. Was it the same defensive role he was performing? Is his 3 goals in 51 appearances for Portugal because of this defensive role you are talking about?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Ibime(m): 1:10pm On Mar 22, 2008
^^^^ Look, my guy - how is Deco overrated? I have never heard any sports commentator say that Deco is the best midfielder in the World or even close. He may not score goals but he dominates the midfield.

As for Totti being a striker or not, he plays in the Trecarichi position - just behind the main striker. So do Del Piero and Roberto Baggio - and they scored a lot of goals.

As for major tournaments, I am not only talking International. I am talking Champions League as well - Totti has not done anything outside Italian league - yet Italians think he is some kind of Messiah. Even in Italy sef, when was the last time Roma won the scudetto - 2002 or thereabouts. I am still waiting for him to justify his talents. It feels like only yesterday when they said Totti was the new big thing - he is already 30 years old now - when will he start to justify his elevated status in Europe or in International football?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 2:34pm On Mar 22, 2008
Ibime:

As for Totti being a striker or not, he plays in the Trecarichi position - just behind the main striker. So do Del Piero and Roberto Baggio - and they scored a lot of goals.

The more you post,the more you contradict yourself.You just said Baggio and Del Piero "scored a lot of goals" and yet,you were knocking Totti's goal scoring ability. Totti has a goals ratio of 0.41 for Roma in Serie A,unremarkable until you find that Del Piero's ratio for Juve is also 0.41,Baggio's club ratio is 0.45(the differrence is minimal).

So how come Baggio and Del Piero have "scored a lot of goals" but Totti "did not even trouble the goalscoring charts" as you put it.This is the European Golden Boot winner we are talking of here.

Again,you highlighted your problem by saying that Totti plays in the Trequartista position.That was a fairly recent modification to his role.He started his career as a midfielder,even playing as a left winger,it was only under Capello that he started playing the trequartista position.Even then,his goals ratio is comparable to greats like Del Piero and Baggio who have rarely ever played as midfielders.

As for Totti not doing well in the Champions League,what do you expect when playing for a modest team like Roma? If he had been playing for the bigger sides like Juve or Milan,his record would be different.

^^^^ Look, my guy - how is Deco overrated? I have never heard any sports commentator say that Deco is the best midfielder in the World or even close. He may not score goals but he dominates the midfield.

So its now "dominating midfield"? You don change from blaming Ten Cate for his lack of goals to claiming that he is dominating the midfield.For me the issue is simple,this guy was not good enough to make the Brazilian national team.All the accolades he receives are over the top.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Ibime(m): 5:47pm On Mar 24, 2008
4 Play:

The more you post,the more you contradict yourself.You just said Baggio and Del Piero "scored a lot of goals" and yet,you were knocking Totti's goal scoring ability. Totti has a goals ratio of 0.41 for Roma in Serie A,unremarkable until you find that Del Piero's ratio for Juve is also 0.41,Baggio's club ratio is 0.45(the differrence is minimal).

So how come Baggio and Del Piero have "scored a lot of goals" but Totti "did not even trouble the goalscoring charts" as you put it.This is the European Golden Boot winner we are talking of here.

This is where you make your mistake - Baggio and Del Piero have played into their thirties - naturally, their goal ratio will decline. Take Baggio and Del Piero's goal ratio at Totti's age - and you will see it is a lot better. Infact, Del Piero has not been the same since his father died so you have to take his goal ratio from the age of like 26.

The fact is that you are here comparing Totti to Zidane. I am saying that historically, Totti will not be remembered as being as great as Del Piero or Baggio (maybe even Zola), much less Zidane, who is in the top ten of all time, regardless of who you ask. This proves that you have overrated Totti.

By the way, why hasn't he ever done anything in UEFA Cup either? He is a flop at all levels except Serie A. He flopped at Euro 2000, WC 2002, Euro 2004, WC 2006, Champions league and UEFA Cup for the last 10 years - He plays for Italy, a great team and he flops. He play for Roma, an average-good team and he flops - what more excuse does he have?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by hustler(m): 10:37am On Mar 25, 2008
Ibime,

I do not understand what u trying to say here.If anything Totti has been one of the most under rated players in football history and the reason just as i tell ppl is cuz Roma have not done well in Europe over the last decade.

U expected him to be the highest goal scorer when he was playing behind Delvecchio and Montella?? Just last season in his trequartista role he got the golden boot. This season if not for injuries he would have been high up in the scorer's charts. Like 4 Play said Totti is the soul of the Roma side and dictates the play.

Did u see his assist over the weekend for Max Tonetto to score? Top Class.

I agree that he is cursed in international competitions. His world cup in 2002 was decent tho until the red card against Korea. Euro 2004 was disastrous coupled with another needless sending off. WC 2006 was pathetic but that was obviously cuz he had just returned from that career threatening injury.

His Euro 2000 was okay to me.The highlight being being his confident penalty against Holland.

Also Deco is not over rated. He's another decent world class midfielder who has achieved a lot. I think it would be better to rate him on the assists he's given and how he's dictated the midfield most especially for Porto,Portugal and his early Barca days. We all know he plays something similar to the Pirlo role nowadays.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by tkb417(m): 5:54pm On Mar 25, 2008
How can Totti be overrated?
i cant understand. . .abeggi
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 7:39am On Mar 26, 2008
Zlatan leads the pack. with Rio close behind Rooney and Lampard too

The overated player of all times is ERIC CANTONA. The guy is just Garba Lawal in a red Jersey
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kingkams(m): 12:02pm On Mar 26, 2008
1. Wayne Rooney

2. Ferdinand

3. Lampard

NOTE: All are English. Na wah for these English men sef.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Jairzinho(m): 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2008
So far:
Theo Walcott,Frank lampard & Emile Heskey.

When I mean overrated not just in financial terms ,but hype as well.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by mykali(m): 2:15pm On Mar 26, 2008
Lampard is not overrated, he`s a good footballer who just get`s his bad days. when u say overrated, u think of people like Shevchenko, Rooney, a little bit of Fabregas, and not people like Ibrahim, or even Rio
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by mykali(m): 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2008
any body who says FRANCESCO TOTTI is overrated watches his/her football through a tigerhead battery powered television undecided undecided undecided
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Jairzinho(m): 5:05pm On Mar 26, 2008
I've never seen so many insults in my life ,u guys are too much. . . . grin grin grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by izeek(m): 6:10pm On Mar 26, 2008
who says my messi is over-rated, in-short them never even rate am atall.
how many of una for una life time don see any nigerian player young or old wey dey play like dat boy.
infact wen dey gave him best player over mikel i tot dey cheated, but wen finally he started show no mercy at barca, then i knew his worth.

well as for over-rated, try adebayor, henry (present sha) in-short worse of all nah shevchenko.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Alvaro Morata Makes Bold Statement About Leaving Chelsea / AC Milan Agree Terms With Samuel Chukwueze, Medical Due This Week / Lagos Hosts First American Flagship Football Exhibition (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.