Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? (26582 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / 9 Most Overrated Players In World Football Right Now / Is Victor Moses Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by smol(m): 2:26am On Jun 09, 2008
Po Deep:

Ronaldinho
Eto'o
Adebayor
Flamini
Drogba
Mikel
Toni
Van der sar
, & So many more!

ehn! whats overrated about Eto'o, Adebayor, Flamini, Luca Toni and Van der sar?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Tayogeorge(m): 2:34am On Jun 09, 2008
he is the One, Eto'o.and i like am b'cos he be Man wey Sabi, No long thing Sha.oooo

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/action-profile/sa-showPosts
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by folahann(m): 4:41pm On Jun 09, 2008
He is officially the one ; C.Ronaldo
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by gabelogan(m): 1:54am On Jun 10, 2008
this is a good thread but unfortunately, a lot of answers are laced with so much sentiment and club-affiliated responses, you begin to doubt the football knowledge of some of the respondents.
first and foremost, we have to understand the meaning of the word "overrated". overrated simply means to rate, value, or estimate too highly.

from that definition, is it not obvious that the most overrated player presently is none other than andriy shevchenko, followed closely by shaun wright-phillips. also, players like david nugent and darren bent also fall into that category (considering the amount their clubs paid for them and their contribution to the club).

its quite unfortunate to hear people call players like fabregas, cristiano ronaldo, wayne rooney, beckham overrated.

lets keep club affiliations and sentiments aside and answer the question constructively.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by smol(m): 4:24am On Jun 10, 2008
@ gabe_logan
abeg C. Ronaldo is overrated- no sentiments attached
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by gabelogan(m): 6:21am On Jun 10, 2008
smol:

@ gabe_logan
abeg C. Ronaldo is overrated- no sentiments attached

A GOAL TALLY THAT KEPT INCREASING EVERY SEASON
42 GOALS DIS SEASON
PFL PLAYER OF THE YEAR
PREMIERSHIP AND CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MEDAL DIS SEASON
UNOFFICIALLY (BUT UNDOUBTEDLY) WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR DIS YEAR
UNOFFICIALLY (BUT UNANIMOUSLY AGREED IN THE FOOTBALL COMMUNITY BY PUNDITS) THE BEST PLAYER ON THE PLANET
PRICE TAG OF OVER 75MILLION POUNDS PLUS ROBINHO
A SKILL SET ONLY RIVALED BY A HANDFUL OF PLAYERS ON THE PLANET PRESENTLY
AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON
AND ALL THESE AT JUST 23 YEARS OLD

NOW THAT IS OVERRATED?? I REALLY DIONT GET THE BASIS OF YOUR ARGUEMENT
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by smol(m): 2:25am On Jun 11, 2008
"PRICE TAG OF OVER 75MILLION POUNDS PLUS ROBINHO"

thats what makes him overrated-definitely he's the best, but common 75Million plus Robinho who is not worth less than about 20Million himself. that is highly overrated
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by PoDeep(m): 8:19am On Jun 11, 2008
Ronaldo has the right to be overrated right now. This is his year.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Raimond(m): 10:47am On Jun 11, 2008
Luca Toni and C. Ronaldo
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chidichris(m): 12:18pm On Jun 11, 2008
debosky,
the thread is about the most over-rated player in the world and not about who is greedy in football or which club regrets who they bought or how much they spent.
mikel for ur information was or will be a free transfer to chelsea because the case ended in his fa vour in norway which made morgan anderson to be jailed.
for chelsea, i don't think they are complaining otherwise the market in open now for excesses.
for mikel, the guy went close to adding premier league and champions league to his luarels with some good cash flying into his bank account on weekly bases.
how come nigerians will always turn to be god when it comes to other people's fate. how dare u say who will be useful of useless.
be informed that man u will refund chelsea the fees paid on mikel that is if they have not done that already and mikel will be entitle to lay his claims of which i would suggest that he claim 200 billion dollars so that man u will fold after paying and when next they see a black man, they will not think of modern slavery again.

for the thread, i say David beckham because he is yet to win anything from fifa and he still remains the most celebrated footballer in the world.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by spenchuks(m): 12:29pm On Jun 11, 2008
@ chidichris
i dey feel u guy. no mind dem
to me David Beckham and all the english footballers are the most
overrated footballers in the whole world. they are being overhyped
by their press.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chidichris(m): 12:40pm On Jun 11, 2008
someone called mikel shit here but be informed that that shit can take care of all the shits in ur lineage.
gabe-logan,
u said ronaldo is everything including the best player on planet just at 23, it means at 25 he is sure to be the best player in venus and hevean?
or don't u think this is possibly his best year?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chidichris(m): 12:42pm On Jun 11, 2008
someone called mikel shit here but be informed that that shit can take care of all the shits in ur lineage.
gabe-logan,
u said ronaldo is everything including the best player on planet just at 23, it means at 25 he is sure to be the best player in venus and hevean?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by gabelogan(m): 8:33pm On Jun 11, 2008
chidichris:

someone called mikel shit here but be informed that that shit can take care of all the shits in your lineage.
gabe-logan,

HIS STAR HAS BEEN INCREASING FROM THE FIRST SEASON HE CAME TO UNITED. THE BOY HAS UNLIMITED POTENTIAL, THATS WHY I QUOTED HIS AGE. AND YES, HE PROBABLY COULD BE THE BEST PLAYER IN VENUS (DEFINATELY NOT HEAVEN) AT 25.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by lipuka(m): 12:05pm On Jun 14, 2008
I have been following the footbal action in Eupore and I am wondering just what is happening.

Imagine Germany, France and Italy all losing!

Netherlands has been playing very well. They have a one-touch slick and crisp passing style with good possession.

Croasia has been impressive, but their style is completely different. They let you do all the work, then hit you when you least expect it.

Both styles have been effective, so far, and I think these two may just reach the final.

But I can see Netherlands winning the Euro Cup this time. They currenly look like the best team around.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 8:26am On Jun 18, 2008
Luca Toni who has been highest goal scorer in 2 different leagues cant be over rated. C. Ronaldo is not Over rated. The boy is good. The overrated Footballers: Any player from England. David Beckham, Wayne Rooney and Mikel Obi tops the chart
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Jackal(m): 12:58pm On Jun 18, 2008
Luca Toni is over-rated.
Phillip Lahm and Benzema are also over-rated.
Before the Euro tournament, Benzema's worth was about 30 million pounds. . . . .
As of today, Mr Aulas would be happy and snappy to let him go for 10 million quid.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by A40(m): 7:55pm On Jun 18, 2008
C.Ronaldo is not overrated Wayne Rooney is overrated
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 7:10am On Jun 19, 2008
Proove that the Highest goal scorer in 2 different leagues is overated. Maybe RVNistelrooy who achieved a similar feat is overrated.

Philip Lahm overrated? Your problem cant only be drugs . Who is the best left back in the world right now? Philip Lahm of course yet he is overrated.

Wayne Rooney is currently the most overrated player in the whole world. The guy probably has other talents definitely not scoring goals 14 international goals? same with Peter Crouch who has 14 games less.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by akinalabi(m): 8:33am On Jun 19, 2008
We have to differentiate an over rated player from a bad player.

Very good players can be overrated. Real Madrid are currently
overrating Ronaldo if it's true they are ready to pay the kind of
money we are hearing.

Most top players are overrated.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 9:17am On Jun 19, 2008
Wayne Rooney is both overrated and bad Ronaldo had a phenomenal season and any club would give anything to have that type of performance. 43 goals.

David beckham is both overrated and mediocre.

The English national team is both overrated, bad, poor, terrible and any superlatives you can think of

England as a country is overrated not football alone.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by ritchboy(m): 9:38am On Jun 19, 2008
Most players who play @ the highest level are overrated.as long as the media is alive, players will be overrated.although in case of the english, they 'over overrate' grin
As fo rooney, the lad hasnt improved since he was 18.hes actually gotten worse.he seems to have lost all his pace.the last time he beat a defender, mandela was still in prison grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by akinalabi(m): 10:27am On Jun 19, 2008
@ dayokanu,

No you agree Ronaldo is special. wink

I thought you said his goals did not matter as they were
scored against Derby and Newcastle.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 10:52am On Jun 19, 2008
Ronaldo is a good. among the special players around Kaka, Messi, Ribery amongst others, most clubs would like to have them.

My point is that he does not show up for big games the ones that matter, but he is overcoming that too.

I want him to go to Real Madrid. That Kind of player is too good for Man Utd. Imagine he is probably the best player that has ever played for Man Utd.

What a hollow history Man Utd have.

Do you know what it would take to be the

best Player in the history of Real madrid with Zidane, Figo, Puskas and De Stefano

Best player in milan with van Basten, Gullit, papin, Rijkaard and other

best player in Bayern with matthaus, Rumminege, beckenbauer, Muller, Effenberg and co

Best player in barca with Romario, Maradona, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho or Ronaldo

Best Player in the history of Inter, Ajax, Juventus
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by folahann(m): 1:03pm On Jun 19, 2008
If Real snap-up ronaldo then it's yet another player winning world best player under Madrid but not as a madrid player
you know what i mean. . . . . this is what we call monkey dey work baboon dey chop
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by gabelogan(m): 2:38am On Jun 20, 2008
i dont know why people on this forum keep sayin rooney is overrated. yes, rooney dosent score consistently but is rooney an out-and-out striker??
rooney is a support striker and his work is to create chances and set up his teammates (strikers).
rooney is a very brilliant player, i'd love it if the people antagonising rooney put sentiments aside and watch him play, that boys is simply a class act. his passing, shot, strenght, etc.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 2:39am On Jun 20, 2008
gabe_logan:

i don't know why people on this forum keep sayin rooney is overrated. yes, rooney dosent score consistently but is rooney an out-and-out striker??
rooney is a support striker and his work is to create chances and set up his teammates (strikers).
rooney is a very brilliant player, i'd love it if the people antagonising rooney put sentiments aside and watch him play, that boys is simply a class act. his passing, shot, strenght, etc.

This Rooney you describe cant be the same one i watched all season.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 6:59am On Jun 20, 2008
Roooney 14 goals in 42 games for England while Peter Crouch has 14 goals in 28 games

yes, rooney dosent score consistently but is rooney an out-and-out striker??

Like Ronaldo is an out and out striker and scored 42 goals
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by tkb417(m): 2:22pm On Jun 20, 2008
@dayokanu
Rooney a bad player? LOL!!
14 out of 42, what about Kloses 1 goal in 13 games?
Klose is horrible if Rooney is poor.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Jackal(m): 2:41pm On Jun 20, 2008
@ tkb417,

Dayokanu is an errorist.
How can anyone with a decent IQ say Rooney is a crap player.
Peter Crouch is an out n out striker. . . . .Rooney is a 2nd striker.
It's like saying Bebeto is crap because Klinsmann has a better goal ratio.
Dennis Bergkamp is crappy compared to Van Nistelrooy. . . . .Thats how spastic Mr Nazi is. . .
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by tkb417(m): 3:16pm On Jun 20, 2008
@Jackal
ive given up on his case. . .its irredeemable
we at United believe Rooney is fine and with him, laurels are flying in left, right, front and back.
i dont know what they want the dude to do.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2008
@dayokanu
Rooney a bad player? LOL!!
14 out of 42, what about Kloses 1 goal in 13 games?
Klose is horrible if Rooney is poor.

Are you on drugs? Klose has 40 international goals 10 in 2 world cups comparing him to that IDIOT called Rooney is the height of it.

Dayokanu is an errorist.
How can anyone with a decent IQ say Rooney is a crap player.
Peter Crouch is an out n out striker. . . . .Rooney is a 2nd striker.
It's like saying Bebeto is crap because Klinsmann has a better goal ratio.
Dennis Bergkamp is crappy compared to Van Nistelrooy. . . . .Thats how spastic Mr Nazi is.

Like Totti, C. Ronaldo, Del Piero, are out and in strikers?

@Jackal
ive given up on his case. . .its irredeemable
we at United believe Rooney is fine and with him, laurels are flying in left, right, front and back.
i don't know what they want the dude to do.

Just like laurels are flying in for Saha, Gerard Pique and Wes Brown.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Lille OSC Celebrates Osimhen After Scoring & Assisting For The Super Eagles / Liverpool Join Sevilla, Others In Race For Onuachu / Analysis: Is The Absence Of Fans The Reason For The EPL Goal Rush This Season?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.