Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,787 members, 7,831,544 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos (17313 Views)

FG Protests Execution Of Nigerians, Summons Indonesian Envoy / AIT Documentary On Tinubu: Lion Of Bourdillion (Videos) / PDP-Sponsored Documentary On Buhari & My Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 22, 2010
Sagamite:

Put your logic down and be flogged by me.

Don't be trying this insurgent arguments with me. I know you fear my intellect like Al Qaeda fears US military munitions, but I don't have time for insurgents.

Kobojunkie:

I wonder I can use the "If I miss the first 10 minutes . . ." excuse the next time I think of getting caught distributing copied DVDs.   I love that disclaimer . .  lol

I wonder what the expression on the Interpol or FBI agents would be with that FONDERFUL logic .  . . lol

Ok now you two should tell us what you are REALLY fighting about!  undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:50pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ofcourse I fear it, I fear the consequence of applying such logic in a common sense world  !!! embarassed

Yeah, I know.

I should not be applying it at that level, I should be applying at the superior sense world.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 3:51pm On Apr 22, 2010
Sagamite:

Dimwit, not having a functional responsibility does not mean one does not have a moral one.

If you were any smart, you would realise a powerful media like the BBC is all some poor nations have of what image of theirs is portrayed, so for Elosela to say they do not have a duty might be right, but morally wrong if they misuse their power or do not use it to the full diligence.

Dumbo, on par, no one has the right to tell Iran what they can or can not do as long as the have not harassed or attacked anybody. But moral responsibility should preclude Iran from developing nuclear weapons so as not to proliferate it but they have no duty to anyone not to.

You get it, fool? Or you need more lessons on logical reasoning?

Ouch nice riposte, A MASTERSTROKE cheesy

Reminds me of that saying ~ NOTHING SWAYS THE STUPID MORE THAN A DISCUSSION THEY CAN'T UNDERSTAND cheesy

Ouch Kobojunkie, are you gonna let Sagamite get away with this, lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:52pm On Apr 22, 2010
But then, is common sense really common ?  If disclaimers are no longer acceptable, according to some people on here, and it is Ok for one to BLAME the other party(even go as far as to claim the other party is MORALLY responsible in a situation where information presented was not fabricated and well documented) when it is all too obvious one must have missed the first 10 minutes of the show that explains why the documentary at all, I ask again, is common sense, still common?

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 3:53pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

I think point is in their approach. If they were trying to show how people were wallowing in poverty while other lived in plenty, they would have showed pictures of other places, at least in comparism. The fact that they focused on the dump is clearly a calculated way of implying that the whole of Lagos was that way!

And like Sagamite said, the image of Nigeria depends on it. Their disclaimer isn't good enough!  undecided
rotflmao  grin  grin  grin

Well you have already admitted that you didn’t watch the documentary so with all due respect you can’t really say what the program is about.

The doc focused on hard working, innovative, entrepreneurial men who were honest. It portrayed them as a example of hard working individuals in the city. Even Joseph said that if someone were to leave the city for abroad to work everyone would be able to tell that person came from Lagos. Now how many times have you seen the above positive verbs used to describe Nigerians in the West?

If the image of Nigeria depends on the BBC then Nigeria is in trouble.

Sagamite:

It is BBC's issue BECAUSE A MORE APT WAY OF SPECIFYING THAT MESSAGE WAS EASILY AVAILABLE TO THEM!

The title was inappropraite and there are several other titles that would have been more apt for the story and are more memorial-lasting disclaimers.

If one misses the first 10 mins but checks the title the says "Welcome to the life of Lagos' slum-dwellers", he would still get the message, but in the current form, he has missed the "disclaimer".

Moral responsibility!

The BBC can call any program they fund with their money what they want. Com’on now! They showed Lagosians living and working in Lagos it is not like they focused on all the cripples begging for money on skateboards or people openly defecating in the streets which we also know is part of the real Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:55pm On Apr 22, 2010
Busy_body:

Ouch nice riposte, A MASTERSTROKE cheesy

Reminds me of that saying ~ NOTHING SWAYS THE silly MORE THAN A DISCUSSION THEY CAN'T UNDERSTAND cheesy

Ouch Kobojunkie, are you gonna let Sagamite get away with this, lol cheesy cheesy cheesy

Won o bida ko face mi ni debate, she ni ma nor ni inorkunor. Let her just jejely stick with her insurgency. cool
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 4:00pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

The BBC can call any program they fund with their money what they want. Com’on now! They showed Lagosians living and working in Lagos it is not like they focused on all the cripples begging for money on skateboards or people openly defecating in the streets which we also know is part of the real Lagos.

If that is your disposition, then you do not believe in moral responsibility.

So to you, Iran should have the freedom to develop nuclear weapons.

Banks should lend/loan recklessly to people they know can not pay and at exhorbitant rates without govt restrictions.

Even Gas companies should be able to raise their tariffs during winter to maximise profits.

If that is your logic, I leave you with it but I can guarantee you will not want to leave in environments where there is no moral responsibility.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 4:02pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

Well if the majority of foreigners think that Lagos is the only state in Nigeria shouldn’t that be an issue for the Nigerian government to rectify?

The BBC can call any program they make with their money what they want. If Eric or Joseph took me on a tour of Lagos they would probably show me the dump, Ajegunle, the cattle market and Third Mainland bridge so I could experience the giant traffic jams, all parts that they showed in the BBC documentary. Who am I to say that I didn't see the real Lagos?

Someone on another board said that the dump was still open in December 2009 and that people live and work on the site that is why there were restuarants and all sorts of small business thriving there catering to the 'thriving metropolis inside the megacity' (another disclaimer made by the narrator)
Abi did the BBC set up those businesses before they started filming?

The dump closed 2 years ago, so title stating "welcome to Lagos" is not apt, at all. If the respectable "independent" newspaper could intepret the film wrongly(see kobojunkie's earlier post), what hope does others have?

And places of work often have bukas and restaurants available locally to cater to them, no big deal na.

Ujujoan:

Ok now you two should tell us what you are REALLY fighting about!  undecided

God punish the peacemakers angry angry cheesy
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 4:21pm On Apr 22, 2010
Sagamite:

If that is your disposition, then you do not believe in moral responsibility.

So to you, Iran should have the freedom to develop nuclear weapons.

Banks should lend/loan recklessly to people they know can not pay and at exhorbitant rates without govt restrictions.

Even Gas companies should be able to raise their tariffs during winter to maximise profits.

If that is your logic, I leave you with it but I can guarantee you will not want to leave in environments where there is no moral responsibility.

You are comparing a whole country, a government regulated bodies with a simple TV broadcaster? That is all the BBC are, a TV broadcaster which caters to the entertainment and information needs of its TV licence public.

This same broadcaster has aired views far more controversial than the way some Nigerians view the ‘Welcome to Lagos’ documentary. What about the Hutton enquiry where someone ended up committing suicide? The BBC did not apologise then and I doubt they will do so now.
Hence the reason I keep going on about the disclaimer. They made one and covered their backsides. If someone were to bring a case against the BBC for misrepresentation stating that they missed the first 10 mins of the program will not stand up in court. After all not everyone reads the small print of contracts but they still get their asses handed to them when they refused to do something they unwittingly signed up to do.

Anyway, at the end of the day I am sure Eric, Joseph and other were paid handsomely for their participation in the program. That fact alone should make a huge positive difference in their lives in Lagos which way more than Nigerian government or Nigerian media has ever done for them.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Apr 22, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigeria’s headquarters of filth [/size]

‘If the smell here disappears, then something must be really wrong. Most of us have lived in this area for such a long time that our noses no longer perceive any smell’
By TESSY IGOMU
[size=13pt]Wednesday, March 24, 2010  [/size]
Refuse at Karu near Abuja
Photo: MUDASHIRU ATANDA

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/citysun/2010/mar/24/citysun-24-03-2010-002.htm

Years back, a thick smoke consistently threatened persons living around Ojota, Ketu and Oregun area of Lagos. Motorists plying the routes were not spared the offensive smoke which caused poor visibility and set passengers on edge. The smoke came from municipal solid wastes disposed regularly at the Olusosun Landfill Site in Kosofe Local Government area of Lagos.

Originally, this dump site was located on the outskirts of the metropolis. Due to rapid urban development, however, the site is presently within the city, surrounded by residential, commercial and industrial buildings.

But right now, in the place of the thick smoke caused by the uncontrolled burning of solid wastes by methane gas is an acrid smell that hangs thickly in the air. It is a stench that makes the stomach rumble and force people to hold their breath intermittently while desperately gasping for fresh air.

The effect of the smell obviously constitutes serious health hazard to persons living near the dump site. The dangers of living in such areas are vast. Aside the fear of fire by spontaneous combustion, flooding poses another grave danger, especially when wastes block drainages and canals. At the end of the day, the flood water contaminates wells and other sources of drinking water.

Dump sites provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes which multiply several times faster than normal in the warm, stagnant water found at such sites. Thus, those living around the place are exposed to all manners of sicknesses, including encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and dengue fever. Rodent invasion also ranks as one of the hazards posed by the mountain of refuse, not to mention the plague as well as Hantavirus which can easily be transferred to humans.

According to Greenpeace International, a Non-Governmental Organisation, soil and air samples taken from areas close to dump sites showed the presence of phthalates which are known to interfere with sexual reproduction. It was also disclosed that many of the chemicals released through the stench and plumes of smoke billowing into the air were highly toxic and may affect the development of children’s reproductive systems, while others could affect brain development and the nervous system.

But most of the people that spoke with Daily Sun see nothing wrong in the smell that oozes from the dump. They even described it in clear terms as an outstanding feature that has consistently defined the area. “If the smell disappears, then something must be really wrong. Most of us have lived in this area for such a long time that our noses no longer perceive any smell,” stated Segun who lives with his family in Oregun. Segun, however, admitted that his inability to get a decent accommodation in the state has ensured his continued residence in the neighbourhood.

Mr. Offor Isaac lamented that since he moved into his house in 2005, he had not enjoyed any form of respite. The stench, he noted, is worse than the smoke and makes him sick.

“The fire and smoke starts and stops but the smell is something that continues. Nobody can stay inside the house when there is no light. Even when we put on air conditioners, everywhere still smells badly. There is no type of air freshener that can drive away the bad odour,” he complained.

But not everyone is complaining. Life around the dumpsite, a food vendor noted, is not different from life anywhere else. The smell, she said, does not dissuade her customers from having their stomach filled when hunger beckons.

“If you stay here for two hours, you won’t smell anything again. Our body is used to it. We don’t see anything wrong with it,” she said.
Getting good water to drink in the area is a luxury. Water in Olusosun and environs is contaminated. Those that have good water disclosed that they had to drill deeper than 100 feet to get good, clear water.
grin cheesy grin cheesy

“What we use the smelly water for is to water flowers, flush toilet and wash our cars. It is really expensive living around this place. Mosquitoes are also giving us serious headaches,” lamented Yomi Ayorinde.

Funke Komolafe, a seamstress, noted that many people have contracted different respiratory infections because of the fumes that pervade the atmosphere.

“Some of my neighbours were forced to move out of here because of constant sickness. One particular man lost his three children to asthma attacks and had to pack out when his wife became pregnant,” she said.

The Lagos Waste Management Authority has moved the dumping of refuse deep inside the landfill site and installed atomizers to dispel odours. It has also put in place modern fire fighting equipment to prevent the spread of fire. Residents still complain, however, about the danger that the site pose to them.

The chemical to reduce smell, the residents claim, might be an avenue to siphon money because the smell is beyond any sweet-smelling chemical. They also pointed out that dump sites are mostly situated far from where people live and where they pose danger to vulnerable children.

“The reverse is the case in Nigeria. Our people would site industries in residential areas and the government would turn a blind eye to it. Is a dump site supposed to be located close to where people live?” asked Abanobi Uche.

Managing Director of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Mr. Ola Oresanya asserts that the psychology of the people when it comes to waste management has to change completely. He disclosed that over 10 million cubic metric tonnes of waste have been buried at the Olusosun landfill site and the lowest portion of the site is 18 meters deep. “Those gases give rise to the odour around the site,” he noted.

The dumpsite, he disclosed, has been in use for the past 19 years, noting, however, that efforts have been made to dump refuse further into the site to control the stench which people have been complaining about.
He disclosed further that in the last five years, LAWMA had ensured that refuse is not dumped where people are predisposed to stench and smoke.

The occasional burning witnessed on the site, he explained, is a natural occurrence.
“People don’t need to start a fire on the site. Once it rains, the methane gas starts escaping and igniting. This is more so as people don’t sort their refuse before disposing them. Also, there is nowhere in the world where you have a dump site that doesn’t smell. We are trying our best to reduce the smell in the area with the atomizer installed on the site.”
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 4:25pm On Apr 22, 2010
Busy_body:

The dump closed 2 years ago, so title stating "welcome to Lagos" is not apt, at all. If the respectable "independent" newspaper could intepret the film wrongly(see kobojunkie's earlier post), what hope does others have?

And places of work often have bukas and restaurants available locally to cater to them, no big deal na.

God punish the peacemakers angry angry cheesy

Do you have evidence that the dump was closed two years ago?

And where are these people now? Does the BBC have to go back to Nigeria to bring us news of how these people are faring in Lagos now they have been removed from the place they make their livelihoods?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Apr 22, 2010
Who said Olusosun is closed down?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 4:28pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

You are comparing a whole country, a government regulated bodies with a simple TV broadcaster? That is all the BBC are, a TV broadcaster which caters to the entertainment and information needs of its TV licence public.

This same broadcaster has aired views far more controversial than the way some Nigerians view the ‘Welcome to Lagos’ documentary. What about the Hutton enquiry where someone ended up committing suicide? The BBC did not apologise then and I doubt they will do so now.
Hence the reason I keep going on about the disclaimer. They made one and covered their backsides. If someone were to bring a case against the BBC for misrepresentation stating that they missed the first 10 mins of the program will not stand up in court. After all not everyone reads the small print of contracts but they still get their asses handed to them when they refused to do something they unwittingly signed up to do.

Anyway, at the end of the day I am sure Eric, Joseph and other were paid handsomely for their participation in the program. That fact alone should make a huge positive difference in their lives in Lagos which way more than Nigerian government or Nigerian media has ever done for them.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Are the gas companies and banks not just "mere firms"?

Is the BBC also not regulated like them?

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

The BBC and likes form your OPINION about places like Kenya, North Korea, Australia, Egypt etc and its people if you have never been there and you call it a simple broadcaster.

So banks and gas companies should have "moral responsibility" and broadcsters should not? Do they not also have small prints but are yet still forced to act responsibly by communicating effectively and protecting their customers with their (the firm's) knowledge of what is best for the customer, e.g. in banks cases, refuse you loan for your own protection even if you insist you want?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Apr 22, 2010
[size=13pt]The Lagos Waste Management Authority has moved the dumping of refuse deep inside the landfill site and installed atomizers to dispel odours. It has also put in place modern fire fighting equipment to prevent the spread of fire. Residents still complain, however, about the danger that the site pose to them.

The chemical to reduce smell, the residents claim, might be an avenue to siphon money because the smell is beyond any sweet-smelling chemical. They also pointed out that dump sites are mostly situated far from where people live and where they pose danger to vulnerable children.

“The reverse is the case in Nigeria. Our people would site industries in residential areas and the government would turn a blind eye to it. Is a dump site supposed to be located close to where people live?” asked Abanobi Uche.

Managing Director of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Mr. Ola Oresanya asserts that the psychology of the people when it comes to waste management has to change completely. He disclosed that over 10 million cubic metric tonnes of waste have been buried at the Olusosun landfill site and the lowest portion of the site is 18 meters deep. “Those gases give rise to the odour around the site,” he noted.[/size]

I know they are trying but this is hillarious!! We are talking of about 100 acres of dump and LAWMA has chosen to install atomizers for the odour. . .  Air Freshner for 100 acres of stink . . lol
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by newmaster(m): 4:40pm On Apr 22, 2010
wake up - BBC may have a different view for broadcasting this documentary “Welcome to Lagos”, but this should serve as a catalyst, driver and encouragement to positiveness, if our government has shame. The reactions should be tailored towards PRACTICAL CHANGE of attitude, character, institution and environment simply would respond to the changes
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by texazzpete(m): 5:01pm On Apr 22, 2010
All i see here is people trying deperately to heap scorn on the BBC.
However, what cannot be denied is the extreme poverty the people depicted in the documentary live in. In between your self-righteous bleats of outrage, i hope you at least do something to help eradicate poverty in Nigeria.

The energies you people dissipate in condemning the BBC could have been better used in actually doing something positive.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by chosen04(f): 5:06pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I know they are trying but this is hillarious!! We are talking of about 100 acres of dump and LAWMA has chosen to install atomizers for the odour. . .  lol

Kobojunkie,

You are a star====

Thanks for always hitting the nail on the head.

Just Pray BBc shld not listern to Fg, cos they dont listern to ''us'' when we protest and complain of bad goverance, electoral reform, electricity probs etc.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Ilelobola: 5:14pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ok, the programme is not balanced but there is no lie in what they’ve shown. Maybe they should have shown how the obscenely rich seem unwilling or unable to see people living in such depths of poverty in the “Centre of Excellence”. Or how the alleged middle class struggle on the 3rd mainland bridge everyday to get to work with no “me” time.

So the governor is doing a good job we hear; if he was not so preoccupied with turning Lagos into a Megacity enriching his cronies with overinflated contracts that are not priority, just maybe he would have seen these people in the slums before the BBC ever got to hear of them.

With regards the Ministry of Information and Communication speaking well of Nigeria especially in the foreign media- ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN VOICE. If the government does well by its people, they won’t even need to publicise it, it will speak for itself.

Agreed there are scavengers in the UK too but would the average person in the UK fall into that category? Well spoken college/university graduates? Or Drunks and homeless people? And remember most homeless people living on the streets in the UK choose to do so to an extent. As I understand each council is expected to provide accommodation for those entitled to it.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 5:23pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ilelobola:

Ok, the programme is not balanced but there is no lie in what they’ve shown. Maybe they should have shown how the obscenely rich seem unwilling or unable to see people living in such depths of poverty in the “Centre of Excellence”. Or how the alleged middle class struggle on the 3rd mainland bridge everyday to get to work with no “me” time.

On point.

For the record: I have no problem with what they showed. I have a slight problem with what they say they are showing not matching with/reflecting what they showed in THREE EPISODES.

Ilelobola:

So the governor is doing a good job we hear; if he was not so preoccupied with turning Lagos into a Megacity enriching his cronies with overinflated contracts that are not priority, just maybe he would have seen these people in the slums before the BBC ever got to hear of them.

Can you retort on one project of the Megacity plan that should not be priority.

Ilelobola:

Agreed there are scavengers in the UK too but would the average person in the UK fall into that category? Well spoken college/university graduates? Or Drunks and homeless people? And remember most homeless people living on the streets in the UK choose to do so to an extent. As I understand each council is expected to provide accommodation for those entitled to it.

Neither does the average person in Lagos scavenge.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 5:37pm On Apr 22, 2010
Jeebus, the fact that some of us on this thread are taking BBC to task for the misleading title does not equate to us clamouring that they show the glamourous side of Lagos, hence reason it never appeared in our argument and presentation undecided And to think there are so many willing participant crawling outta the wooodworks to jump on this bandwagon too jeez, design flaws surely travel in groups cool cool cool

@ kobojunkie

You have a calling. You are truly gifted when it comes to fishing out articles, but unfortunately, thats where it ends, hence the reason the "years back" that preceeded the 2010 article you dredged up, came in one ear and came outta the other one rightaway . . .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@ Elosela

As you can see from Kobo's article, once upon a time, this dump had thanks to the dirty oeople, spread to residential areas, now, I don't rate the Fashola dude at all, ever, but now the Government, re-sited the dump to where it originally belonged, stopped people from dumping on the road, used part of the newly discovered road as routes for the BRT project, put in atomizers to contain the stench, working with organisations from other Countries to convert the methane gas been yielded to electricity, etc hence reason BBC's potrayal is wack and out of sync.

Anyhoo, thats Aunty beebs for you undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2010
  Years back, a thick smoke consistently threatened persons living around Ojota, Ketu and Oregun area of Lagos. Motorists plying the routes were not spared the offensive smoke which caused poor visibility and set passengers on edge. The smoke came from municipal solid wastes disposed regularly at the Olusosun Landfill Site in Kosofe Local Government area of Lagos.

Originally, this dump site was located on the outskirts of the metropolis. Due to rapid urban development, however, the site is presently within the city, surrounded by residential, commercial and industrial buildings. . .
. . . .  wait for it  . . .  wait for it . . .
    But right now, in the place of the thick smoke caused by the uncontrolled burning of solid wastes by methane gas is an acrid smell that hangs thickly in the air. It is a stench that makes the stomach rumble and force people to hold their breath intermittently while desperately gasping for fresh air.

Now, let's add this piece, shall we?

But not everyone is complaining. Life around the dumpsite, a food vendor noted, is not different from life anywhere else. The smell, she said, does not dissuade her customers from having their stomach filled when hunger beckons.

“If you stay here for two hours, you won’t smell anything again. Our body is used to it. We don’t see anything wrong with it,” she said.

Getting good water to drink in the area is a luxury. Water in Olusosun and environs is contaminated. Those that have good water disclosed that they had to drill deeper than 100 feet to get good, clear water.

Seriously, I am still cracking up on the whole airfreshner bit . . . . lol
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:01pm On Apr 22, 2010
Nice Article I found on Olusosun dump area, and other areas . . . . Nice read for those willing to open their minds to what it means to live in these areas.

Occupants’ Satisfaction and Rent Paid for Residential Properties Close to
Waste Dump Sites in Nigeria

Bello Victoria Amietsenwu (Corresponding author)
Department of Estate Management, School of Environmental Technology
Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria
Tel: 23-48-036-688-879 E-mail: vicbellofuta@yahoo.com

Professor Cyril Ayodele Ajayi
Department of Estate Management, Faculty of Environmental Design and Management
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile – Ife, Nigeria
Tel: 23-48-037-258-925
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 6:15pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

And where are these people now? Does the BBC have to go back to Nigeria to bring us news of how these people are faring in Lagos now they have been removed from the place they make their livelihoods?

Ilelobola:

. . . So the governor is doing a good job we hear; if he was not so preoccupied with turning Lagos into a Megacity enriching his cronies with overinflated contracts that are not priority, just maybe he would have seen these people in the slums before the BBC ever got to hear of them. . .

DAMNED IF THEYT DO, DAMNED IF THEY DON'T, PHEW I TIRE undecided undecided undecided

Ilelobola:

ITS CLEAR YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND tongue HENCE REASON I MENTIONED EARLIER THAT MORE WHITES ARE HOMELESS COS THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO LIE OR FIDDLE THAT PART OF THE SYSTEM lipsrsealed

Rough sleepers are proven to be homeless when they manage to be seen in the same place 3 times by outreach workers, officiasl employed by the Government, for this purpose. The same Government also has other Officials on the same block to make sure they clear the streets of this same homeless people by threatening them with asbos, THEREBY guaranteeing these homeless individuals would not be SEEN in the same place twice, talkless of the stipulated 3 times they need to be seen, to be able to be entitled to COUNCIL accommodation.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 6:17pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Sagamite

The banks in the UK are regulated by the FSA

Gas pricing is regulated by OfGem

The BBC is regulated by OfCom in some areas but for the most part it is an independent broadcaster competing with the likes of C4, C5, Sky One and ITV. If the BBC hadn't shown this program then believe one of the other broadcasters would have.

Ofcom

The BBC's licence fee and grant-in-aid funded television and radio services are subject to the regulation of the Office for Communications (Ofcom) in the following six areas:

* Protecting the Under Eighteens
   * Harm and Offence
   * Crime
   * Religion
   * Fairness
   * Privacy.

In addition the BBC's Commercial Services, whether broadcasting to the UK, or from the UK to our international audiences, must comply with the whole of the Ofcom Broadcasting Code.

The regulator can impose a variety of sanctions on the BBC for breaches of the relevant sections of its Broadcasting Code including:

* broadcasting a correction or statement of finding
   * ordering that a programme is re-edited before re-broadcast
   * fines of up to £250,000 for serious or repeated breaches.

These guidelines reflect the relevant provisions of the Ofcom Broadcasting Code which is also set out in Section 18.

Nothing about 'moral responsibility.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:21pm On Apr 22, 2010
culled from http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=11226

[size=13pt]Climate Change Threat To Coastal Cities – Banire
LAST UPDATED AT Wed Mar, 31 2010
[/size]

[size=13pt]We have tree-planting, which is continuous. We plant every day as a state government from the ministry of the environment, though we have July 14 every year as tree-planting day but it is essentially ceremonial. The good thing is that we have seen individual and corporate organisations also joining the campaign now. Again, BRT scheme is another contribution to reducing climate change by reducing the number of vehicles on the road so that emission level can come down. We are already encouraging people to start using renewable energy option by using solar and wind energy sources. In all our schools we have been able to stop incineration of refuse, you cannot see them burn refuse in all our schools. So, burning we have been able to eliminate through that means. Again, we have commissioned our transfer loading station at Simson and another one is virtually ready at Oshodi. Those one are reducing time management and number of vehicles. Normally, if you use to have 50 vehicles from eti-osa, Lagos Island coming to Olusosun to dump refuse, they don’t need to come again, they just go to CLS. Instead of 50 vehicles coming, you need about five trailers coming after compartment that will bring them to Simpson. So, we have succeeded in decongesting traffic and vehicles are moving faster, so lesser emission. [/size]

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Apr 22, 2010
http://ecosur.fr/dmdocuments/CDM_opportunities_in_Africa_ABREF_ecosur_Afrique_%5BMode_de_compatibilite%5D.pdf

LAWMA - Nigeria
Landfill Gas To Energy (LFGTE) project on Olusosun landfill (Lagos State).
343,000 CERs/year

Services: CDM development / CERs brokerage / fund raising

The project implemented in Olusosun landfill aims at building, operating and maintaining a landfill gas (LFG) collection and flaring system.

The equipment includes a gas collection network, an extraction and flaring station with enclosed flare, monitoring and control systems. The collected biogas could be used for electricity generation purposes and thus might be exported to the local grid. Energy plants consist of pre-treatment systems and electricity generators.

Another project proposed for Olusosun . . . collecting of natural gas from waste . . . I guess it is beneficial to Lagos for it to stay open, so how can it be closed?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Gamine(f): 6:24pm On Apr 22, 2010
I don't get why people are screaming about 'negative portrayal'
This wasn't a work of fiction, or did i watch something else??

Here our so called leaders go again, wasting time, money and effort
pushing the wrong cause when there are hundreds dying of hunger in Lagos alone.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 22, 2010
Who is saying that the BBC can call a program or documentary anything they want? Actually the title of the documentary is totally misleading. grossly inaccurate.

The LASG should sue them for defamation as they have in this sense they have exhibited gross irresponsibility
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 6:37pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=16pt] Originally, this dump site was located on the outskirts of the metropolis. Due to rapid urban development, however, the site is presently within the city, surrounded by residential, commercial and industrial buildings. . .[/size]

Now, let's add this piece, shall we?

[size=12pt] [b] But not everyone is complaining. Life around the dumpsite, a food vendor noted, is not different from life anywhere else. The smell, she said, does not dissuade her customers from having their stomach filled when hunger beckons.

From the first paragraph, the dumpsite was revealed to be located on the outskirt, but by the end of the same paragraph is now within the city. Pray tell, did the dumpsite up and relocate itself? Wasn't it people that built/rented properties close to it? Wasn't it this same peeps that started dumping on their own streets too?

And if you can look closely at the second paragraph, despite the fact that it is not the mountain moving closer to mohammed, but the other way round, no one still lives on it,. According to the food vendor, the word used was "life around . . . " undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2010
ROFLMAO!!!!  So, it was not CLOSED down two years ago ? 

I wonder if the fact that it is now considered to be around 100 acres large , and Lagos's own LAWMA has projects to profit from the gas from the same dump and is currently working on that project would give a clue here. . .  hhhmmmm!!!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 6:44pm On Apr 22, 2010
tensor777:

Who is saying that the BBC can call a program or documentary anything they want? Actually the title of the documentary is totally misleading. grossly inaccurate.

The LASG should sue them for defamation as they have in this sense they have exhibited gross irresponsibility

I said that.

So why don't you make a complaint to OfCom about the inaccuracy of the title and 'defamation'? grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 6:49pm On Apr 22, 2010
@ KOBO

It has always been large, hence reason it is the largest in Africa undecided

ROFLMAO, then we had Becomerich and his explanatory maps showing us where to buy tomatoes from, having boycotted the mallams from selling to us, now we have KOBOJUNKIE "the article dredger in our midst, WHAT NEXT grin NAIRALAND DRAMALAND, lol cheesy grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Kogi West Senate Rerun: PDP Rejects Nov 30 Supplementary Poll / Enforcement Of Anti-open Grazing In South-east Begins Soon – Nnamdi Kanu / Baraje: APC Brought In Militias From Mali, Niger Others To Win 2015 Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.