Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,247 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos (17311 Views)

FG Protests Execution Of Nigerians, Summons Indonesian Envoy / AIT Documentary On Tinubu: Lion Of Bourdillion (Videos) / PDP-Sponsored Documentary On Buhari & My Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 2:36pm On Apr 22, 2010
WOW!!! shocked

pappilo:

@ kobojunkie

I saw one about Canada just before the winter Olympics that refered to Calgary as the homless capital of the world. I cant remeber which channel it was but if definitely wasnt NTA!

NTA?? I will confess, I am an ignorant American when it comes to knowing about Canada next door. Most of what I know of the place is from stories told by family and friends, and a few trips across the border, and maybe some hollywood shows. Apart from that, I could not tell you so much about Canada.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:38pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

WOW!!! shocked

Are you impressed?

Watch and learn logical thought!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 2:41pm On Apr 22, 2010
On the contrary, I wonder how anyone can try to make such a connection as the one you have tried to make so far, and then finish it up claiming it is has to do with morality. BBC documentary on Nigeria linked to Iranian Nuclear endeavour? Sheer drivel!!!

But hey, like I suggested, what else should I expect from someone with your level of reasoning, right? cheesy
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by COco102: 2:42pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Sagamite

Am getting old waiting  shocked grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:47pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

On the contrary, I wonder how anyone can try to make such a connection as the one you have tried to make so far, and then finish it up claiming it is has to do with morality. Sheer drivel!!!

But then, what else should I expect from someone with your level of reasoning, right? cheesy

Dimwit, not having a functional responsibility does not mean one does not have a moral one.

If you were any smart, you would realise a powerful media like the BBC is all some poor nations have of what image of theirs is portrayed, so for Elosela to say they do not have a duty might be right, but morally wrong if they misuse their power or do not use it to the full diligence.

Dumbo, on par, no one has the right to tell Iran what they can or can not do as long as the have not harassed or attacked anybody. But moral responsibility should preclude Iran from developing nuclear weapons so as not to proliferate it but they have no duty to anyone not to.

You get it, fool? Or you need more lessons on logical reasoning?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:48pm On Apr 22, 2010
COco102:

@Sagamite

Am getting old waiting  shocked grin

I have done it. Check!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Apr 22, 2010
The High Commissioners direct email address is [size=13pt]Hc@Nigeria.hc.org.uk [/size]

I just spoke, a couple of minutes ago, with one of the staff who happens to disagree with the High commissioner's stance and urges we get emails in to urge him to sit down and actually watch the video again, making sure to set aside his BIAS for the international media and his insecurities. I hope many people will stand up for the Joseph's, the Eric's, and the majority of Nigerians living in poverty today who are out there. There story needs to be told and their Nigeria is the same Nigeria with billions in oil revenue.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 2:59pm On Apr 22, 2010
Sagamite:

You go and do a survey on all those that watched it and see how many remember, saw or noticed the disclaimer.

Yes, BBC has no duty to Nigerians, neither do Iran has a duty to UK/USA not to develop nuclear power.

It is about moral resposibility. The title was not apt at all, and with sufficient diligence, should have been made appropraite. Don't defend rubbish!

Why do I need to do a survey? The fact remains that the disclaimer was made.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 22, 2010
Sagamite:

Dimwit, not having a functional responsibility does not mean one does not have a moral one.

If you were any smart, you would realise a powerful media like the BBC is all some poor nations have of what image of theirs is portrayed, so for Elosela to say they do not have a duty might be right, but morally wrong if they misuse their power or do not use it to the full diligence.

Dumbo, on par, no one has the right to tell Iran what they can or can not do as long as the have not harassed or attacked anybody. But moral responsibility should preclude Iran from developing nuclear weapons so as not to proliferate it but they have no duty to anyone not to.

You get it, fool? Or you need more lessons on logical reasoning?

Stop calling her names! angry

@ Kobojunkie!

You know you have a reputation for stepping on anything that exaults Nigeria and magnifying anyting that demotes it! It's not really a good thing because as much as you try to deny it, you are still a Nigerian and part of your civic responsibility is to respect your country!

That being said, I didnt get to see the documentary but from what you guys are saying, I think it's wrong for BBC to title it like they did. Bieng a reputable network, I'm sure they know the weight their broadcasts carry and pray tell, if they weren't indirectly passing the message across, why would they imply that the Lagos was all about dirts and slums and scavengers  

And people want us to just accept that without question    undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 3:09pm On Apr 22, 2010
Eric and Joseph’s Lagos may not be the same Lagos for those who live in VI or Lekki but their perceptive of the city is still real. Egotistical and pretentious Nigerians need to recognise and respect that instead of trying to tear them down. The Nigerian media always ignores types like Eric and Joseph and so I think it is wonderful that they were given this world stage to show their lives to the world.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:15pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

Why do I need to do a survey? The fact remains that the disclaimer was made.

No, the disclaimer is not sufficient. People with societal power are held to high standard when they put the power in use.

Most people should know how to manage their finances and should not be told by financial companies, but because govt recognise that the financial companies have a lot of power and know how to manipulate pyschological influence, govts regulate them and force moral responsibilities on them (using stuff like TCF, read up on TCF), not just disclaimers.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by pappilo(m): 3:17pm On Apr 22, 2010
@ ujuojan

Do you know what happened when the BBC called the US, United States of Murder? Nada, nothing!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

Eric and Joseph’s Lagos may not be the same Lagos for those who live in VI or Lekki but their perceptive of the city is still real. Egotistical and pretentious Nigerians need to recognise and respect that instead of trying to tear them down. The Nigerian media always ignores types like Eric and Joseph and so I think it is wonderful that they were given this world stage to show their lives to the world.

Nobody is saying that the perspective is not real, but then expecting us to accept that as the true representation of the city is absurd!  undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 3:18pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Stop calling her names! angry

KOBOJUNKIE started it by calling them deaf, blind idiots, hence the reason i pulled her up on it earlier with my advise that it is too early to be smoking blunt cheesy

@ Elosela

What disclaimer undecided

The dump got closed two years ago and even when it was still open no one lived there, they all just worked there haba undecided

Not saying their ain't still places like that too in Nigeria, but don't call it "welcome to Lagos" angry Majority of foreigners already think only Lagos State is in Nigeria embarassed
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:22pm On Apr 22, 2010
pappilo:

@ ujuojan

Do you  know what happened when the BBC called the US, United States of Murder? Nada, nothing!

US image does not depend on BBC, they have enough global media clout to counter any image made of them.

Did Kazakhstan not complain when Borat went to far?

Did Papau New Guinea not complain when a documentary showed a few practicing cannibalism?

Has the West not destroyed Middle East image as killing animals to the point they had to set up Al Jazeera?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 3:23pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Sagamite

I don't undertsand. If people who watched the program choose to ignore the disclaimer where they clearly stated that it was just one part of Lagos then it really is not the BBC's issue because as far as they are concerned they have not lied or misrepresented the truth.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by pappilo(m): 3:26pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kazakhstan: Borat is a Work of fiction

Papau New Guinea: Just like Nigeria

Middle East: Yet the same BBC and others show us oases in the desert like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain e.t.c

Why does Nigeria's image depend on the BBC? Tell your NTA director general or whatever he is called to get his act together. The rubbish channel they had on sky was so below standard and it eventually went off air after the top dogs over at NTA chopped the sky subscription money
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 3:27pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Nobody is saying that the perspective is not real, but then expecting us to accept that as the true representation of the city is absurd! undecided

And nobody expects you do that so what is the issue?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:28pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

@Sagamite

I don't undertsand. If people who watched the program choose to ignore the disclaimer where they clearly stated that it was just one part of Lagos then it really is not the BBC's issue because as far as they are concerned they have not lied or misrepresented the truth.

It is BBC's issue BECAUSE A MORE APT WAY OF SPECIFYING THAT MESSAGE WAS EASILY AVAILABLE TO THEM!

The title was inappropraite and there are several other titles that would have been more apt for the story and are more memorially-lasting disclaimers.

If one misses the first 10 mins but checks the title that says "Welcome to the life of Lagos' slum-dwellers", he would still get the message, but in the current form, he has missed the "disclaimer".

Moral responsibility!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On Apr 22, 2010
[size=14pt]ROFLAMO!!![/size]

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2010
pappilo:

Kazakhstan: Borat is a Work of fiction

Is that not enough and more reason for Kazakhstan to ignore it?  undecided

I don't get your argument.

pappilo:

Papau New Guinea: Just like Nigeria

But they complained? So you see example?

pappilo:

Middle East: Yet the same BBC and others show us oases in the desert like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain e.t.c

Those are places a lot of Oyinbos go and work, and these countries spend millions to get the image.

The average non-Arab would assume he would be slaughtered in places like Jordan or Iran.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:32pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=14pt]ROFLAMO!!![/size]

If you need more lessons on logical thinking, I am still here. wink
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by pappilo(m): 3:32pm On Apr 22, 2010
Sagamite the boat is sinking!

Jump!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2010
pappilo:

Jump!

ROFLMAO!!! amazing stuff man . . . . I almost fell out of my seat on that last one!! I druled on myself laughing at that one there . . .  miss first 10 minutes, it is BBC's fault  . . .  lol
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2010
EloSela:

@Sagamite

I think point is in their approach. If they were trying to show how people were wallowing in poverty while other lived in plenty, they would have showed pictures of other places, at least in comparism. The fact that they focused on the dump is clearly a calculated way of implying that the whole of Lagos was that way!

And like Sagamite said, the image of Nigeria depends on it. Their disclaimer isn't good enough!  undecided

Busy_body:

KOBOJUNKIE started it by calling them deaf, blind idiots, hence the reason i pulled her up on it earlier with my advise that it is too early to be smoking blunt cheesy

@ Elosela

The dump got closed two years ago and even when it was still open no one lived there, they all just worked there haba undecided

Not saying their ain't still places like that too in Nigeria, but don't call it "welcome to Lagos" angry Majority of foreigners already think only Lagos State is in Nigeria embarassed  
rotflmao  grin  grin  grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2010
pappilo:

Jump!

That is all the argument you have left?  undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 3:36pm On Apr 22, 2010
Busy_body:

@ Elosela

Well if the majority of foreigners think that Lagos is the only state in Nigeria shouldn’t that be an issue for the Nigerian government to rectify?

The BBC can call any program they make with their money what they want. If Eric or Joseph took me on a tour of Lagos they would probably show me the dump, Ajegunle, the cattle market and Third Mainland bridge so I could experience the giant traffic jams, all parts that they showed in the BBC documentary. Who am I to say that I didn't see the real Lagos?

Someone on another board said that the dump was still open in December 2009 and that people live and work on the site that is why there were restuarants and all sorts of small business thriving there catering to the 'thriving metropolis inside the megacity' (another disclaimer made by the narrator)
Abi did the BBC set up those businesses before they started filming?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:38pm On Apr 22, 2010
Busy_body:

This is a clear example of why powerful people have moral responsibility. The programme clearly states that Lagos is commercial hub of Nigeria and gave a disclaimer BUT the average human is dumb and ignorant, so you need to work harder at what you feed them. Otherwise your mediocre effort will fail.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Apr 22, 2010
I wonder I can use the "If I miss the first 10 minutes . . ." excuse the next time I think of getting caught distributing copied DVDs.   I love that disclaimer . .  lol

I wonder what the expression on the Interpol or FBI agents would be with that FONDERFUL logic .  . . lol

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:46pm On Apr 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I wonder I can use the "If I miss the first 10 minutes . . ." excuse the next time I think of getting caught distributing copied DVDs.   I love that disclaimer . .  lol

I wonder what the expression on the Interpol or FBI agents would be with that FONDERFUL logic .  . . lol

Put your logic down and be flogged by me.

Don't be trying this insurgent arguments with me. I know you fear my intellect like Al Qaeda fears US military munitions, but I don't have time for insurgents.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:48pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ofcourse I fear it! I fear the consequence of applying such level of logic in a world, like the one where I live in; a world were common sense is more common than most, especially those who have continually found themselves incarcerated are willing to accept  !!! embarassed

I don't even need to think much of what awaits me if I were to apply that FUNDERFUL logic of yours in the scenario I introduced there. . . . I am certain the courts won't plan a party for me after such an utterance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? / Photos: The Cyclists Riding For Buhari Have Finally Arrived Abuja / Osun NUT Debunks Salary Payment Rumour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.