Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos (17320 Views)

FG Protests Execution Of Nigerians, Summons Indonesian Envoy / AIT Documentary On Tinubu: Lion Of Bourdillion (Videos) / PDP-Sponsored Documentary On Buhari & My Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 11:40am On Apr 25, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Rather than complain about the absence of VI and Lekki you should be asking how the lives of these people can be improved.

I can guarantee you that because people requesting more representative production does not imply they do not wish for the lives of these people to improve or see it as a less priority.

frosbel:

No the BBC are  spot on.

They showed the plight of 80% of Lagosians.

80% of Lagosians live off dump or reside in places like Makoko?

ElRazur:

PS
I will still damage you for pro evo though. cool Actually, I am your daddy when it comes to Pro lol.

See this one o!

Shior! . . . . . . . Mouth!

Inter Milan finishes you. We need to use countries so I can try Inglaterra.

ElRazur:

Some people really need to get a cure up from the "Nigeria, Giant of Africa" disease and syndrome they suffer from.

Anyone saying that should face capital punishment.

This docu is the type Nigerian Journalists should be compiling but the hopeless bunch only want to show people flashing their Ikebe at an extravacant party paid for with our stolen money and now say "a lot of dignitries attended".

And they have a herd of foools that are eager to watch and discuss in excitement.  undecided

I don't know what the f is of interest to me that Adenuga's daughter is marrying.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by londoner: 11:43am On Apr 25, 2010
There is no harm in the title "welcome to the slums of Lagos". However, I doubt it would have attracted even half the audience it did. It looks like the last part will mention the Lagos State effort to rid the city of these slums, so maybe they will focus on the clean up of Lagos or Eko Atlantic City project being embarked upon by Gov Fashola. I hope they dont then use it to make them look like dispassionate people for doing it though. there vis a danger of that happening.

I am very glad that they did not just show the V.Is etc of Lagos. After the houses, come the inhabitants and I do have a fear that a scratch under the surface of some of the priviledged would have revealed a less than honest and hardworking Lagosion than those in the "slums". There is a possibility that it may have cemented the view that Nigerians are dishonest, greedy and arrogant.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 25, 2010
londoner:

There is no harm in the title "welcome to the slums of Lagos". However, I doubt it would have attracted even half the audience it did. It looks like the last part will mention the Lagos State effort to rid the city of these slums, so maybe they will focus on the clean up of Lagos or Eko Atlantic City project being embarked upon by Gov Fashola. I hope they dont then use it to make them look like dispassionate people for doing it though. there vis a danger of that happening.

I am very glad that they did not just show the V.Is etc of Lagos. After the houses, come the inhabitants and I do have a fear that a scratch under the surface of some of the priviledged would have revealed a less than honest and hardworking Lagosion than those in the "slums". There is a possibility that it may have cemented the view that Nigerians are dishonest, greedy and arrogant.

welcome to Lagos was appropriate.

What upsets me is that a few priviledged want the world to see the places of opulence so that they can make endless boasts of vanity.

Fashola is trying but he MUST concentrate his efforts on slums like Ajengunle.

These are human beings no less different than you and me.

Kudos to Fashola but he needs to do more.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 12:03pm On Apr 25, 2010
frosbel:

How was it appropriate?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 12:04pm On Apr 25, 2010
Sagamite:

How was it appropriate?

Ehm, ehm, lol. grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Pataki: 12:24pm On Apr 25, 2010
As much as I hate to post in here, the senseless and illogical reasoning of some ignorant gnats occluded me from the holy oath I took to keep away from posting. How some Nigerians reasons is a truly an indication as to why we would never embrace criticisms as a tool for development. Here is an example to some of the multiple and putrid logic I have been reading thus far:

Sagamite:

I never said BBC or Channel whatever should not show the programme, I just said they did not represent the title fairly (or morally if you wish).

Sagamite:

US image does not depend on BBC, they have enough global media clout to counter any image made of them.

What is the sense to your argument? We can as well deduce from your argument that:

a. Lagos's image does not depend on BBC?

b. Nigeria's image does not depend on BBC?

c. We have enough global media clout to counter any image made of us??

A microcosm of Lagos State was shown in the international media and yet the title has made you to jump on whomever goes against your point with puerile invectives. And you call that a true representation of your '' hallmark of intelligence''? LOL. I laugh in volcanic eruptions.

If the title does not give a vivid representation of the state of affairs and living amongst the community of human beings living in Lagos or Nigeria at large, do we not enough global media clout to counter the image made of us? And furthermore, does our image depend on what the BBC made of us? Seriously, go and take a breather.  wink
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2010
Pataki:

As much as I hate to post in here, the senseless and illogical reasoning of some ignorant gnats occluded me from the holy oath I took to keep away from posting. How some Nigerians reasons is a truly an indication as to why we would never embrace criticisms as a tool for development. Here is an example to some of the multiple and putrid logic I have been reading thus far:

What is the sense to your argument? We can as well deduce from your argument that:

a. Lagos's image does not depend on BBC?

b. Nigeria's image does not depend on BBC?

c. We have enough global media clout to counter any image made of us??

A microcosm of Lagos State was shown in the international media and yet the title has made you to jump on whomever goes against your point with puerile invectives. And you call that a true representation of your '' hallmark of intelligence''? LOL. I laugh in volcanic eruptions.

If the title does not give a vivid representation of the state of affairs and living amongst the community of human beings living in Lagos or Nigeria at large, do we not enough global media clout to counter the image made of us? And furthermore, does our image depend on what the BBC made of us? Seriously, go and take a breather.  wink

You must be an utter slowpoke!

And you talk about ignorant gnats?

Please explain how we have enough global media clout to counter any image made of us.

Through BEN TV, AIT or NTA?

You must be utter daft. I await your explanation.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Pataki: 12:46pm On Apr 25, 2010
Sagamite:

You must be an utter slowpoke!

And you talk about ignorant gnats?

Please explain how we have enough global media clout to counter any image made of us.

Through BEN TV, AIT or NTA?

You must be utter daft. I await your explanation.
Yet again, more vomit of claptrap from the class captain of intelligence.  ''Utter daft'', ''utter slowpoke''. . . . . reh reh reh. I have read the same retort post in, post out. I yawn in Makoko salutation. cheesy

Any more logical insults to boost your intelligibility?  grin

All of a sudden I owe you an explanation? Where you not the same dimwit quoting posts from other forum from people alluding to that fact we can produce our own documentary about middle class citizens striving to make it in Lagos in an honest way? Have you lost your sense of reasoning and remembrance so easily? grin

If the title so bothers you thou IGNORANT GNAT, why not tell your government to get another international media (opposed to the independent investigation that BBC has done) to come and record a documentary on middle class or the opulent citizens in Lagos striving to make it also?

For once I commend the BBC over the programme. And the title is very right. If you cannot stand it, go and carry a placard and head off to BBC headquarters in West End to show your logical reasoning. Mr. Internet make me intelligent - RUBBISH!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 12:59pm On Apr 25, 2010
Pataki:

Yet again, more vomit of claptrap from the class captain of intelligence.  ''Utter daft'', ''utter slowpoke''. . . . . reh reh reh. I have read the same retort post in, post out. I yawn in Makoko salutation. cheesy

Any more logical insults to boost your intelligibility?  grin

All of a sudden I owe you an explanation? Where you not the same dimwit quoting posts from other forum from people alluding to that fact we can produce our own documentary about middle class citizens striving to make it in Lagos in an honest way? Have you lost your sense of reasoning and remembrance so easily? grin

Dimwit, so you realise that our image is dependent on the BBC and its fellow international broadcasters? I thought for a second you were going to come out with some vomit about our ability, I was setting to flog you.

For your brain that has a paucity of thinking cells, my criticisms of us not producing own documentary is a put down of the Nigerian media (full of utter morons like you) for not having the foresight to be doing what the BBC is doing right from time and an encouragement to start. Not a claim that we can but we should have built the capability or should start doing so. Do you get that, cement brain?

Pataki:

If the title so bothers you thou IGNORANT GNAT, why not tell your government to get another international media (opposed to the independent investigation that BBC has done) to come and record a documentary on middle class or the opulent citizens in Lagos striving to make it also?

For once I commend the BBC over the programme. And the title is very right. If you cannot stand it, go and carry a placard and head off to BBC headquarters in West End to show your logical reasoning. Mr. Internet make me intelligent - RUBBISH!

What a moronic din!

Me and you no dey the same catego in thinking, you are below my feet.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:21pm On Apr 25, 2010
londoner:

I am very glad that they did not just show the V.Is etc of Lagos. After the houses, come the inhabitants and[b] I do have a fear that a scratch under the surface of some of the priviledged would have revealed a less than honest and hardworking Lagosion than those in the "slums". There is a possibility that it may have cemented the view that Nigerians are dishonest, greedy and arrogant.[/b]

Listening to the narration at the start of the program, one can easily deduce that the program is not about Lagos the State, but about the people. The commentator’s opening statement on how Lagos is not all corruption and greed makes me think the intention of the producers if probably to show some of the good sides of the people who live in the state, which is what it, has done so far.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by EloSela(f): 1:22pm On Apr 25, 2010
frosbel:

What upsets me is that a few priviledged want the world to see the places of opulence so that they can make endless boasts of vanity.

Fashola is trying but he MUST concentrate his efforts on slums like Ajengunle.

These are human beings no less different than you and me.

Kudos to Fashola but he needs to do more.

My sentiments exactly! The title was apt and appropriate as it focused on a variety of human beings like you and me who had lived in Lagos all their lives. Others may not think so but to me those people who were given a stage to tell us about their lives are the epitome of all what is good in Lagos or Nigeria for that matter, not the posh houses and pretentious egomaniacs in Lekki and VI.

I would also like Fashola to concentrate, to focus on developing these areas with the well being of those good people in mind. Let the rich look after themselves.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Pataki: 1:25pm On Apr 25, 2010
Sagamite:

Dimwit, so you realise that our image is dependent on the BBC and its fellow international broadcasters? I thought for a second you were going to come out with some vomit about our ability, I was setting to flog you.

For your brain that has a paucity of thinking cells, my criticisms of us not producing own documentary is a put down of the Nigerian media (full of utter morons like you) for not having the foresight to be doing what the BBC is doing right from time and an encouragement to start. Not a claim that we can but we should have built the capability or should start doing so. Do you get that, cement brain?

What a moronic din!

Me and you no dey the same catego in thinking, you are below my feet.
LOL! Why are you punishing yourself this blessed Sunday afternoon? The more you post your baloney of replies, the more your profile as a dolt behind the computer arises. I am beginning to have a deeper understanding that you are programmed as a political dunce by default.

Do you expect me to pander to your thoughts of idiocy? Excuse me! Allow me this once to cut across as being pedantic. I hate to do it, but you leave me no option at this point in time. wink

Look at the crux of your argument so far. . . . .it has centred on BBC giving the programme a wrong title. Suddenly you now bring to table your criticism is about the Nigerian media not having the initiative to do what the BBC has done? grin grin grin grin Does that imply that the BBC have superior foresight and insight to the situation in Nigeria and yet the title they bestowed on the programme has been scratching your backside all along?! What a ludicrous human being you are!

Elosela schooled you in her humble humility, you towed along insults to silence her amongst several others of your proponents here. Your fake intelligent ego would not allow you to gravitate to the point of true logical reasoning. How remarkably silly you are.

Dude, to begin a pedagogy of logical argument on you, is a waste of my time. Have fun justifying to yourself that you indeed are intelligent. I await seeing your video carrying placard on the street of London over the BBC Programme - Welcome to Lagos!

What a waste.

PS: I was not even set on comparing my level of reasoning with yours. So quit the ego tripping. Those are childish banters. GROW-UP!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ziga: 1:26pm On Apr 25, 2010
frosbel:

Listen to what the reporter said, anything between 4-7 million live here, and we have not even started counting other slums.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0hQHou1cw&hl=en[/flash]

If you note, he said 4 to 7 million live here, depending on who you speak to.

I guess he must have got his information from some government agency that doesn't even know the true population of Lagos. We all know that population figures in Nigeria have always been a big fraud.

Well, if 4 - 7 million people truly live in Ajegunle, then Lagos population will be closer to 25 million people. if you have lived in Lagos recently, you will understand  know what i mean.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 1:40pm On Apr 25, 2010
Pataki:

LOL! Why are you punishing yourself this blessed Sunday afternoon? The more you post your baloney of replies, the more your profile as a dolt behind the computer arises. I am beginning to have a deeper understanding that you are programmed as a political dunce by default.

Conjectural ranting of a foool.

Pataki:

Do you expect me to pander to your thoughts of idiocy? Excuse me! Allow me this once to cut across as being pedantic. I hate to do it, but you leave me no option at this point in time. wink

And more.

Pataki:

Look at the crux of your argument so far. . . . .

Aahhh! *Takes a deep breath* We finally got there. He is ready to display his logic, and I have got my scythe out, one that is ready to slice through cement brain logic.

Pataki:

it has centred on BBC giving the programme a wrong title. Suddenly you now bring to table your criticism is about the Nigerian media not having the initiative to do what the BBC has done? grin grin grin grin Does that imply that the BBC have superior foresight and insight to the situation in Nigeria and yet the title they bestowed on the programme has been scratching your backside all along?! What a ludicrous human being you are!

slowpoke, do not attempt to be deducing implications. Your brain is not at that level.

The implication and the link between the BBC erring in the title and Nigerian media is that the incompentence of the Nigerian media is a sub-factor in giving the BBC the clout to hold power of our international image. That said, even if the Nigerian media improves, the BBC would still have some clout, only that we have some to tell it the way we see it. You get it, cement brain?

I don't know how the hell you came to the implication that the BBC have superior foresight and insight to the situation in Nigeria.

Oh, sorry, I know. Paucity of thinking cells in a cement brain.

Pataki:

Elosela schooled you in her humble humility, you towed along insults to silence her amongst several others of your proponents here. Your fake intelligent ego would not allow you to gravitate to the point of true logical reasoning. How remarkably silly you are.

Dude, to begin a pedagogy of logical argument on you, is a waste of my time. Have fun justifying to yourself that you indeed are intelligent. I await seeing your video carrying placard on the street of London over the BBC Programme - Welcome to Lagos!

What a waste.

PS: I was not even set on comparing my level of reasoning with yours. So quit the ego tripping. Those are childish banters. GROW-UP!

Me and you no dey for the same o catego!

You are a dunce, I knew it right from your juvenile, moronic outbursts when organising last years Nairaland BBQ that we had to force you not to come as your level of reasoning was below the desired threshold. Are you the one still talking about childishness and growing up? Dunce!

Feel free to pick up any of Elosela's point that you think was a triumph card and explain why you think it is. I will love the grounds to flog you with it.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Pataki: 1:55pm On Apr 25, 2010
Sagamite:

Conjectural ranting of a foool.

And more.

Aahhh! *Takes a deep breath* We finally got there. He is ready to display his logic, and I have got my scythe out, one that is ready to slice through cement brain logic.

slowpoke, do not attempt to be deducing implications. Your brain is not at that level.

The implication and the link between the BBC erring in the title and Nigerian media is that the incompentence of the Nigerian media is a sub-factor in giving the BBC the clout to hold power of our international image. That said, even if the Nigerian media improves, the BBC would still have some clout, only that we have some to tell it the way we see it. You get it, cement brain?

I don't know how the hell you came to the implication that the BBC have superior foresight and insight to the situation in Nigeria.

Oh, sorry, I know. Paucity of thinking cells in a cement brain.

Me and you no dey for the same o catego!

You are a dunce, I knew it right from you juvenile, moronic outbursts when organising last years Nairaland BBQ that we had to force you not to come.

Feel free to pick up any of Elosela's point that you think was a triumph card and explain why you think it is. I will love the grounds to flog you with it.
I love it when glorified semi-educated dingbats of your ilk tries to get personal. cheesy To now cook up lies, just to score - what cheap points? grin grin Pataki was forced not to come? Is that what you told yourselves? Hahahaha!!!

Who forced me out? How low can you get? grin grin grin Is this part of the topic at hand? How many times are you going to type the word: ''moronic''? It is so stale. I am past the days of squabbling with silly dirt from entities that matter zilch to me. Speaks volume as to whom is juvenile. Enjoy your superior arguments. As I earlier opined, you are a waste of time to engage with.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:01pm On Apr 25, 2010
Pataki:

I love it when glorified semi-educated dingbats of your ilk tries to get personal. cheesy To now cook up lies, just to score - what cheap points? grin grin Pataki was forced not to come? Is that what you told yourselves? Hahahaha!!!

Who forced me out? How low can you get? grin grin grin Is this part of the topic at hand? How many times are you going to type the word: ''moronic''? It is so stale. I am past the days of squabbling with silly dirt from entities that matter zilch to me. Speaks volume as to whom is juvenile. Enjoy your superior arguments. As I earlier opined, you are a waste of time to engage with.

Moronic and slowpoke is quite apt. That is why I use it frequently.

Your continuous childish and moronic outbursts against some attendees was why I went for you and the reason you knew you were no more welcomed to the BBQ, slowpoke.

It suggested your educational level to be frank.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ElRazur: 2:06pm On Apr 25, 2010

Una sleep with una woman for each other's back?

On a serious level, why the deliberate attack on Saga? At least, na so me I see am. The point you raised have been answered, but e be like say there is more than meet the eye sha.

Make una get along jare.

I am still looking to flog you too on pro evo Alhaji Pataki. cool
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:07pm On Apr 25, 2010
ElRazur:

Una sleep with una woman for each other's back?

On a serious level, why the deliberate attack on Saga? At least, na so me I see am. The point you raised have been answered, but e be like say there is more than meet the eye sha.

Make una get along jare.

I am still looking to flog you too on pro evo Alhaji Pataki. cool

He obviously is still bitter from the BBQ stuff.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by londoner: 2:12pm On Apr 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Listening to the narration at the start of the program, one can easily deduce that the program is not about Lagos the State, but about the people. The commentator’s opening statement on how Lagos is not all corruption and greed makes me think the intention of the producers if probably to show some of the good sides of the people who live in the state, which is what it, has done so far.

Yes, exactly, thats what I got from the program. Honest hardworking men and women who were making something out of nothing. It made me proud. I doubt the priviledged few would have left me with then same feeling. If people want to see the rich and all their toys, they can watch Bisi Olatilo.

@frosbel, I have no problem with either title to be honest. I live in the Uk and this type of program is quite usual here. They have done the same type of program on India, Ghana, Kenya etc.

We here are used to this type of programme and to be honest we appreciate it too.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Pataki: 2:14pm On Apr 25, 2010
Sagamite:

Moronic and slowpoke is quite apt. That is why I use it frequently.

Your continuous childish and moronic outbursts against all attendees was why I went for you and the reason you knew you were no more welcomed to the BBQ, slowpoke.

It suggested your educational level to be frank.
Let me indulge you this once. . . . .

Educational level to not attending a social gathering? For once I am speechless on that. Funny how you have deviated from the topic at hand though. When you are supplied with superior argument to your imbecilic reasoning, you get personal. Does this stem from an abuse in your past? cheesy

Take it from me simple and straight. I meet whomever I choose to meet. I do not bear the username on this forum for no reason.  wink Seeing your type amongst some others esp. with your nauseating ego was a terrible put off for me.

Anyways, this is not the thread to deal with my personal opinion of you. I came on this thread just to show you how rancid your logical reasoning was. I am through with this thread. Off to my hibernation mode.

Have fun! grin

@ ElRazur,

I am not a Pro Evo person. I speak, talk and walk CHESS. That is a game of logical and analytical thinking. Encourage your friend to embrace, I reckon it would help him in sound reasoning.

Take care brov! wink
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ElRazur: 2:18pm On Apr 25, 2010
Saga

Omo all I need is holiday from next week, a brand new pad, a bucket of KFC and your arse is mine. All these talk of turenchi is non-sense. Una suppose take una beef to pro evo.

So Pataki wetin you say now? Come make we prove proper intelligence for Pro evo. cool grin All these Nairaland bickering na shakara. I reckon, I will beat you and saga all day long. grin

@Topic,
Me I dey happy for how them portray life in the slums in Lagos. If offers an insight to something we really do not see everyday. I wish all those who participated in it the best of luck in life.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 25, 2010
. . . . . . . . and now, back to the scheduled program.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by skfa1: 2:28pm On Apr 25, 2010
Lotto International, hahahah
That man Engrish is funny, he is killing that Engrish, lol grin grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:34pm On Apr 25, 2010
Pataki:

Let me indulge you this once. . . . .

Educational level to not attending a social gathering? For once I am speechless on that. Funny how you have deviated from the topic at hand though. When you are supplied with superior argument to your imbecilic reasoning, you get personal. Does this stem from an abuse in your past? cheesy

Dimwit, I thought I told you not to try implications again? You are pissing me off now. You brain is not strong enough to do such tasks.

The educational level reference was not about not attending, slowpoke! It was about your childish and omo-itarish outbursts on people (male and female) that were attending and the females said you threaten on NL to beat them up so I had to step in so you do not ruin attendance, you retard.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:43pm On Apr 25, 2010
londoner:

Yes, exactly, thats what I got from the program. Honest hardworking men and women who were making something out of nothing. It made me proud. I doubt the priviledged few would have left me with then same feeling. If people want to see the rich and all their toys, they can watch Bisi Olatilo.

@frosbel, I have no problem with either title to be honest. I live in the Uk and this type of program is quite usual here. They have done the same type of program on India, Ghana, Kenya etc.

We here are used to this type of programme and to be honest we appreciate it too.

As much as the programme is appreciated and an eye opener (I never knew N14K was big money that would make Nigeria's poor dance, I thought it would be N50K and above), when the series was being advertised, surely your assumption from the title would have been episodes showing different lives in Lagos (even including the rich and repatriates)?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 2:48pm On Apr 25, 2010
The common misconception amongst people here is that somehow they think because some are advocating the showing of good parts in Lagos it automatically implies that the format should show it as a praise and admiration of the rich and/or corrupt.

No, it could a CYNICAL comparison of haves and have nots.

It could be an education of the crystallized corruption and nepotism that lets the likes of Orji and his kids not have a chance.

It could be a condemnation of how ignorant the rich are to the plight of those they look down on.

It would have been absolutely ffing interesting if they had picked one ex-General's son that drives exotic cars, lives in Banana Island and gets contracts, and is shown going to parties and clubs spending hundreds of thousands of Naira a day and feeling like an achiever.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 3:00pm On Apr 25, 2010
When Piers Morgan did a one episode programme to introduce Monaco (a place where if you are worth £2m you are regarded as a church rat), even though 90% of the inhabitants are multi-millionaires, he still made the effort to dedicate about 10mins to the poor locals (if you can call them that as outside Monaco they are average) and servants that did not have the money typical of Monaco.

This is THREE episodes!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:01pm On Apr 25, 2010
londoner:

. . . . We here are used to this type of programme and to be honest we appreciate it too.

Yeah!  I believe the key was to find the honest, hardworking Nigerians out there to counter image of corruption and greed that most already have and know of.  
I watched the episode, and fortunately learned something about life in makoko. I grew up in Lagos, and still have my abode down there, yet I had no clue what went through the heads of people down there.  It is easy for us to thumb our noses at these people, but now I know that these people are humans and deal with some of the issues everyone else does.
Imagine, a man surviving and thriving in a place like makoko for 40 years without resorting to armed robbery or 419, or a family man, slaving away at the dumps( all that stench and pollution) to provide an honest living for his family.  These men are positive role models, especially for our youths. We are in dire need of POSITIVE stories such as the ones highlighted in the BBC production, and I hope our media houses, and NOLLYWOOD gets a clue. It is time we stop glorifying ill-gotten riches and superficial living. We do not have to do it because others do it; we can actually do better.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by londoner: 4:19pm On Apr 25, 2010
[/quote][quote author=Sagamite link=topic=434813.msg5948499#msg5948499 date=1272203315]
The common misconception amongst people here is that somehow they think because some are advocating the showing of good parts in Lagos it automatically implies that the format should show it as a praise and admiration of the rich and/or corrupt.

No, it could a CYNICAL comparison of haves and have nots.

It could be an education of the crystallized corruption and nepotism that lets the likes of Orji and his kids not have a chance.

It could be a condemnation of how ignorant the rich are to the plight of those they look down on.

It would have been absolutely ffing interesting if they had picked one ex-General's son that drives exotic cars, lives in Banana Island and gets contracts, and is shown going to parties and clubs spending hundreds of thousands of Naira a day and feeling like an achiever.

If you ask me, the rich, priviledged or criminal classes already take up more of their share of media coverage where Nigeria is concerned. Its about time others in society were given the platform to share and to speak. The story of these hard working poor is the main attraction, they were not just tools to juxtaposition against the rich. That would reset the whole tone of the programme and the very soul of what it was intended to be. It was a celebration of these people and their values.

We already know how the rich live and how detached they are from the average Nigerian. Its time for the spotlight to shine on the rest of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by komekn(m): 4:32pm On Apr 25, 2010
There are many components to great cities, the core definitive component are its people, “Welcome to Lagos” as a programme it encapsulates the spirit, resilience, honesty, ingenuity, joy and happiness of the common man, the common people who rise to become in quite a few instances uncommon outstanding people.

They made me proud to be a Nigerian, these are people the real people that the main stream media forgets and never highlights. The enigma that is the Nigerians ability in the face of what should be insurmountable and impossible odds to thrive that is what those wonderful people represent. This is what made New Scientist journal in its world wide survey conclude that Nigerians are the happiest people in the World. As for it not being balanced it is a question of perspective, this programme has had rave reviews across the British media.

I watched the one about makoko and those guys challenge me to the core as for the programme producer I feel ashamed that in all my waka for 9Ja, I had no idea about this way of life of these wonderful people who have chosen to live right and not steal, rob and murder. It took an outsider to highlight it for me.

See my post in a similar thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=431316.msg5909327#msg5909327

Finally to the word that never dies take heed Proverbs 17:5

He who mocks the poor reproaches his Maker;
He who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by GODSON2009(m): 5:53pm On Apr 25, 2010
@sagamite

first off,sorry for trying to reason with you,having read a couple of your comments i now have a clear understanding of your murky and border line disturbed mind set,however in order not to reduce myself to an intelectual pygmy i will leave you to do the ranting and raving while i confine myself strictly to the issues this thread is trying to address.i see you are one of those whoget off by insultive comments and stuffs which doesnt help the cridbiity or validity of your comments
i hope reading through your own comment,both to me and to others on here,my description of some people which you seem to be the poster face as ignorant,delusional is apt and i dare say describes you to the letter t.

Yes, actually there was a need.

When you jump on a post and castigate people that have given strong points as "delusional nigerians", "plain ignorants" and "illiterates".

That tells me either you did not read the posts, hence it was necessary I cast aspersions on your obvious ignorance, OR you read them, which in that case shows I have showed a lot of restraint being at aspersions level only and not gettting the verbal shotgun out.

GO BACK AND READ THE POSTS.

If you are going to do a programme you named "Welcome to Lagos", logically it makes sense to show a diverse range of people of Lagos, not just focus on the poorest of the poor.

What interests you does not matter Jack.

So because of western people's perception, it is wrong to show the struggle of a Banking Officer getting to work or having to go around in a job called "marketing" but is looking for deposits?

It is wrong to show these westerners that there are OAU, UI, ULag grads in Lagos trying to build the economy?

So what if they show the rich? Is it not a nice contrast with the excessively poor to emphasis the injustice?

Quote from: GODSON2009 on Today at 12:42:46 AM
2.i hope you also realise these so called bankers and middle class live relatively well off compared to the likes of joseph,vocal slender e.t.c?
let us be totally honest,if the bbc had not shown joseph,eric obuh and other young men and women like him who would have given them a break??
you want bbc to showcase clean shaven and well suited nigerians driving their cars and going to work,while the dregs of society,the invinsibles are neglected, sorry but white people are not and dont think like we black people.

And where did you see majority on this Thread saying the BBC should not show Joseph and his likes? Please, pretty please, highlight to me?

Quote from: GODSON2009 on Today at 12:42:46 AM
did you see the pride in the machine operator's face after collecting the keys to a dilapidated wooden kiosk as a room,?did you see the little children working in the sawmills under dangerous conditions who should be in school?
did you see mr chubbey and his family?
eric obuh and his appaling living conditions?
joseph and how hard he s working late on weekends to give his little girl a birthday?
did you see hausas,ibos,yorubas all working together in harmony
how well run the supposed ghetto and jungle was being run,the love, togetherness,perseverance,optimism that exists and cuts across the two episodes? these are the pertinent isses that the documentary has sought to address and it has suceeded.
go and check vocal slender's my space,already he is getting hits in the thousands,and has a facebook profile i am sure it is only a matter of time before te music industry takes notice of him,and he will hopefully extend this to his friends in the slums.
remember it took only daddy showkey to highlight ajegunle ghetto and give many ppl a break
let us get off our high horse and drop that wounded ego of ours!!we should be happy at the documentary and work hard at reforming and cleaning up our acts, i personally have never been to makoko or even heard about it before even though i was born and bred in lagos,same as that olusoun dump or the abattoir and it was an eye opener for me

All good, but those are not the majority of Lagosians and are not representative enough for the title. They have been extremely brilliant documentaries, no doubt, and I am sure the producers would win awards. But uou want to tell me if the BBC dug well, they would not find a middleclass Naija youth, against all odds of the govt, doing something exceptional?

The Seuns that are running business like NL or his likes in other spheres setting up enterprises without access to constant electricity or bank credit?

In 3 fffing episodes? All is just of dearth poor people and you think the title was apt?

READ THE MURTHAFUCKING THREAD. Put some effort in it
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by GODSON2009(m): 6:34pm On Apr 25, 2010
GODSON2009:

@sagamite
Yes, actually there was a need.

When you jump on a post and castigate people that have given strong points as "delusional nigerians", "plain ignorants" and "illiterates".

That tells me either you did not read the posts, hence it was necessary I cast aspersions on your obvious ignorance, OR you read them, which in that case shows I have showed a lot of restraint being at aspersions level only and not gettting the verbal shotgun out.
first off,sorry for trying to reason with you,having read a couple of your comments i now have a clear understanding of your murky and border line disturbed mind set,however in order not to reduce myself to an intelectual pygmy i will leave you to do the ranting and raving while i confine myself strictly to the issues this thread is trying to address.i see you are one of those whoget off by insultive comments and stuffs which doesnt help the credibility or validity of your comments
i hope reading through your own comment,both to me and to others on here,my description of some people which you seem to be the poster face of i.e ignorant,delusional is apt and i dare say describes you to the letter t.
GODSON2009:

If you are going to do a programme you named "Welcome to Lagos", logically it makes sense to show a diverse range of people of Lagos, not just focus on the poorest of the poor.
and out of the whole programme,the people that got deserved breaks e.t.c all that you could garner from it is the title'welcome to lagos' are you kidding meloool
GODSON2009:

What interests you does not matter Jack.
neither does yours,but judging by the comments and interests the documentary has brought to the fore,many have the same mind set as i do,
GODSON2009:

So because of western people's perception, it is wrong to show the struggle of a Banking Officer getting to work or having to go around in a job called "marketing" but is looking for deposits?
yes,because of their perception,their tv production company commissioned the documentary and the aims and objectives they set out to achieve was met.if you want them to show your own delusional perception of lagos i.e the mansions in vgc you are not likely to ever set foot in,the billion naira mansions in ikoyi you ar most likely not to set foot in . tinubu and atiku's mansions in ikoyi,olabode george's mansion in v.i donald duke's luxury blocks of flats and personal residence in ikoyi e.t.c then you are free to get a camera and make your own documentary called the real fce of lagos,how majority of lagosians live.
GODSON2009:

It is wrong to show these westerners that there are OAU, UI, ULag grads in Lagos trying to build the economy?
no it isnt wrong,and at the risk of repeating myself,an average student who can raise the exhorbitant fees e.t.c is more likely to be from the middle class.that was not the demographicsbeing shown they are giving the invinsible in our society who cannot even afford a decent one bedroom face me i face you a break! ocal slender,joseph mr chubbey the saw mill operator,baba toyin cannot dream of gathering 300,000 together talk less of living the lifeof a student
GODSON2009:

So what if they show the rich? Is it not a nice contrast with the excessively poor to emphasis the injustice?
well,maybe as usual they(the documentary makers)believe in celebrating the poor and giving them centre stage for a change.like they did with the child witches documentary happening in our backyard
GODSON2009:

And where did you see majority on this Thread saying the BBC should not show Joseph and his likes? Please, pretty please, highlight to me?
dude,calm down with the pretty please, i am male and straight! well then maybe all the bbc were doing is celebrating these pple and putting them on the centre stage for once like i mentioned earlier?
GODSON2009:

All good, but those are not the majority of Lagosians and are not representative enough for the title. They have been extremely brilliant documentaries, no doubt, and I am sure the producers would win awards. But uou want to tell me if the BBC dug well, they would not find a middleclass Naija youth, against all odds of the govt, doing something exceptional?
i have never asserted that the middle class are not going through their own day to day struggles as well,but again you seem not to realise that people/lagosians in that demographic makes up the majority of lagosians, the non xsistent middle class you are on about in lagos probably do not make up 10% of the total population.the pertinent difference between theose gys and the middle class is that the midle class have a choice,they dont .
GODSON2009:

The Seuns that are running business like NL or his likes in other spheres setting up enterprises without access to constant electricity or bank credit?
no basis for comparison,to set up a business you wuld have a roof over your head,food to eat and money in the bank.
GODSON2009:

In 3 fffing episodes? All is just of dearth poor people and you think the title was apt?

READ THE MURTHAFUCKING THREAD. Put some effort in it
dude,chill ut so you dont burst a cruial vein upstairs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

‘civilian JTF Members To Be Enlisted Into Military’ / Buhari Breaks Fast With Members Of The Judiciary / Makinde To Build ₦1.2 Billion New Governor’s Lodge in Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.