Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,684 members, 7,831,122 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos (17308 Views)

FG Protests Execution Of Nigerians, Summons Indonesian Envoy / AIT Documentary On Tinubu: Lion Of Bourdillion (Videos) / PDP-Sponsored Documentary On Buhari & My Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ziga: 7:49pm On Apr 25, 2010
I just watched the episode 2 of the documentary, and i must say that the producers had no intention of ridiculing the efforts of these hardworking Nigerians.

It is only unfortunate that the title and some statements made by them does not depict what the documentary is all about.

The documentary tried to show us the lives of these individuals, and how they make things work despite the difficulties.

The main message i got was that they tried to talk about the threat to the existence of these people by the new government and the Lagos mega-city drive.

And my opinion about that is, even though they seem happy and content, they deserve more than what they are currently getting. And things can be a lot better even with minimal changes.

I think it is a very big responsibility on the government, to find a way to preserve their community while they also try to improve the living conditions over there.
These are some of the characteristics that make us a unique people, and we should try to preserve these communities(with better living conditions) rather than destroy all of our heritage in the name of modernization.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 8:01pm On Apr 25, 2010
GODSON2009:

first off,sorry for trying to reason with you,having read a couple of your comments i now have a clear understanding of your murky and border line disturbed mind set,however in order not to reduce myself to an intelectual pygmy i will leave you to do the ranting and raving while i confine myself strictly to the issues this thread is trying to address.i see you are one of those whoget off by insultive comments and stuffs which doesnt help the credibility or validity of your comments
i hope reading through your own comment,both to me and to others on here,my description of some people which you seem to be the poster face of i.e ignorant,delusional is apt and i dare say describes you to the letter t.

YOU ARE SUCH A BLEEDING HYPROCRITE, YOU STARTED OFF BY SLATING SAGAMITE FOR ALLEGEDLY CALLING PEOPLE NAMES YET YOU DO THE SAME BY CALLING PEOPLE DELUSIONAL, IGNORANT, ILLITERATES, UNCARING, SELFISH CORRUPT SHOWOFFS, ETC IN JUST ONE POST undecided WONDERS SHALL NEVER END undecided

GODSON2009:

and out of the whole programme,the people that got deserved breaks e.t.c all that you could garner from it is the title'welcome to lagos' are you kidding meloool

How apt, considering you were the one initially asking why we were drinking paracetamol for someone else's headache? So what do we call your own inteference with our stance on the topic, wetin concern you if i have issues with the topic, suegbe undecided

GODSON2009:

neither does yours,but judging by the comments and interests the documentary has brought to the fore,many have the same mind set as i do,

Again, why quote him and then get your knickers in a twist when he replied you, ehn Sule undecided undecided undecided

GODSON2009:

yes,because of their perception,their tv production company commissioned the documentary and the aims and objectives they set out to achieve was met.if you want them to show your own delusional perception of lagos i.e the mansions in vgc you are not likely to ever set foot in,the billion naira mansions in ikoyi you ar most likely not to set foot in . tinubu and atiku's mansions in ikoyi,olabode george's mansion in v.i donald duke's luxury blocks of flats and personal residence in ikoyi e.t.c then you are free to get a camera and make your own documentary called the real fce of lagos,how majority of lagosians live.

Dumbo, care to list just one of BBC's objective that was met undecided Laughable for you to think the programme was commissioned to highlight the credibility of Nigerians and see us doing other things apart from 419's etc. Go and cover your face in shame embarassed

GODSON2009:

no it isnt wrong,and at the risk of repeating myself,an average student who can raise the exhorbitant fees e.t.c is more likely to be from the middle class.that was not the demographicsbeing shown they are giving the invinsible in our society who cannot even afford a decent one bedroom face me i face you a break! ocal slender,joseph mr chubbey the saw mill operator,baba toyin cannot dream of gathering 300,000 together talk less of living the lifeof a student

So Mr Know it all, are you saying only middle class children go to school in Nigeria, that no one from a poor background has ever set foot in University because of poverty shocked You are really really wet behind the ears and have a loooog way to go, slowcoach embarassed

GODSON2009:

well,maybe as usual they(the documentary makers)believe in celebrating the poor and giving them centre stage for a change.like they did with the child witches documentary happening in our backyard

BBC commissioned the porogramme to celebrate the poor  shocked

Oh so who were they celebrating in the alledged witchchildren's case, see arindin's logic lipsrsealed

GODSON2009:

dude,calm down with the pretty please, i am male and straight! well then maybe all the bbc were doing is celebrating these pple and putting them on the centre stage for once like i mentioned earlier?

Daftie, pretty please does not have nada to do with gender undecided Why would he wanna call you pretty in this scenario? Don't you have a working brain undecided

GODSON2009:

i have never asserted that the middle class are not going through their own day to day struggles as well,but again you seem not to realise that people/lagosians in that demographic makes up the majority of lagosians, the non xsistent middle class you are on about in lagos probably do not make up 10% of the total population.the pertinent difference between theose gys and the middle class is that the midle class have a choice,they dont .

And pray tell what choice the middleclass have that got handed to them on a platter of gold? Mind you, I wouldn't hold my breath lipsrsealed

GODSON2009:

no basis for comparison,to set up a business you wuld have a roof over your head,food to eat and money in the bank.

really, so Seun had money in the bank and as born with a silver spoon in his mouth hence shouldn't be celebrated

GODSON2009:

dude,chill ut so you dont burst a cruial vein upstairs

You are the one who needs to lay off the ganja. You are supposed to smoke it, not the other way round cool You can't even quote posts properly without making a hash of things, so how do you expect to be able to reason logically and sensibly tackle such posts undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ElRazur: 8:04pm On Apr 25, 2010
Busy Body lwkmd.

Omo how you dey nau? And how your sexy sister. cool
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 25, 2010
A lot of people here are still missing the point. The title of the documentary was inappropriate and going by the content of the documentary, entirely sensational. Most Lagosians definitely do not scavenge for a living.

Some disgruntled  posters here are even implying that the ends of wider coverage of the documentary justifies the sensationalised means  which the BBC used to attain attain these ends. That position of course is pure nonsense. The BBC an ethical responsibility to be fair, factual, and balanced in its reporting.

Consequently in  a  documentary titled welcome to Lagos they should show attempt to give their viewers a balanced perspective of life in the city. Merely coming out with highly patronising comments on the human qualities of the recyclers in no way redresses the balance.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 25, 2010
Maybe BBC should have titled their programme 'welcome to the old Lagos ' or better still 'welcome to the trashy part of Lagos'.

In my opinion castigating BBC for a job well done is silly, because you can only judge the prosperity of a city by the welfare of its weakest and least privileged citizens.

So many Nigerians are just arrogant windbags who like to huff and puff about nothing. There is nothing to celebrate about Lagos or Nigeria for that matter until we have learnt how to treat our poor like human beings and cater for their basic needs in life.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 10:34pm On Apr 25, 2010
londoner:

If you ask me, the rich, priviledged or criminal classes already take up more of their share of media coverage where Nigeria is concerned. Its about time others in society were given the platform to share and to speak. The story of these hard working poor is the main attraction, they were not just tools to juxtaposition against the rich. That would reset the whole tone of the programme and the very soul of what it was intended to be. It was a celebration of these people and their values.

We already know how the rich live and how detached they are from the average Nigerian. Its time for the spotlight to shine on the rest of Nigeria.

If this was the aim (spotlight on the poor) then I stand by my opinion that the title is not apt.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 10:46pm On Apr 25, 2010
GODSON2009:

and out of the whole programme,the people that got deserved breaks e.t.c all that you could garner from it  is the title'welcome to lagos' are you kidding meloool

You are a slowpoke. Read my posts again and see if that was all I got from it.

GODSON2009:

yes,because of their perception,their tv production company commissioned the documentary and the aims and objectives they set out to achieve was met.if you want them to show your own delusional perception of lagos i.e the mansions in vgc you are not likely to ever set foot in,the billion naira mansions in ikoyi you ar most likely not to set foot in . tinubu and atiku's mansions in ikoyi,olabode george's mansion in v.i donald duke's luxury blocks of flats and personal residence in ikoyi e.t.c then you are free to get a camera and make your own documentary called the real fce of lagos,how majority of lagosians live.

Dimwit, speak for yourself, your limitations and your virtually certain failure in life. From the structuring of your posts, I can understand it would be hard for you to achieve much in life.

GODSON2009:

i have never asserted that the middle class are not going through their own day to day struggles as well,but again you seem not to realise that people/lagosians in that demographic makes up the majority of lagosians, the non xsistent middle class you are on about in lagos probably do not make up 10% of the total population.the pertinent difference between theose gys and the middle class is that the midle class have a choice,they dont .

And majority of Lagosians live of dumps or live in places like Makoko?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 10:51pm On Apr 25, 2010
ziga:

I just watched the episode 2 of the documentary, and i must say that the producers had no intention of ridiculing the efforts of these hardworking Nigerians.

No doubt. They obviously were impressed and found the people inspirational. It was reflected in the editing.

ziga:

It is only unfortunate that the title and some statements made by them does not depict what the documentary is all about.

Thank you.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ezeagu(m): 1:07am On Apr 26, 2010
The BBC showed the reality for 70%+ of Lagos inhabitants, anybody saying otherwise has never been to Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by okunoba(m): 5:08am On Apr 26, 2010
@sagamite , u are right about the programme not being balanced, instead of showing only honest, hard working and kind Nigerians it should have also shown the corrupt, greedy and fraudulent Nigerians that we are better known for by the rest of the World.

Welcome to Lagos is an insight into the spirit of Lagos and a tribute to voiceless people of Lagos.
The title is so fitting for the programme because it captures what Lagos is about, hard work, Resilience, ingenuity, courage, entrepreneurship and that will to overcome against all odds, that is the spirit of Lagos. The subjects in the documentary embody all these essential characteristics needed to survive in that jungle of a city called Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by okunoba(m): 5:40am On Apr 26, 2010
Reporting on the ills of society is a tradition that took root in Europe almost 200yrs ago, it as since become a tool for bringing about change in society. we Nigerians need to embrace this culture if we want positive change in our society.

Social novel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Social novels, also known as social problem novels or realist fiction, originated in the eighteenth century but gained a popular following in the nineteenth century with the rise of the Victorian Era and in many ways was a reaction to industrialization, social, political and economic issues and movements. In the 1830s the social novel saw resurgence as emphasis on widespread reforms of government and society emerged, and acted as a literary means of protest and awareness of abuses of government, industry and other repercussions suffered by those who did not profit from England's economic prosperity.[1] The sensationalized accounts and stories of the working class poor were directed toward middle class audiences to help incite sympathy and action towards pushing
Different sub-genres of the social novel included the industrial novel that focused on the country’s working class rural and urban poor and also the later ‘condition of England’ novel that was geared toward education, suffrage and other social movements. Deplorable conditions in factories and mines, the plight of child labor and endangered women, and the constant threat of rising criminality and [epidemics] due to over-crowding and poor sanitation [2] were all laced into the storyline lines of these novels. On a moral level the social novel became the medium for authors who either took in common experiences of a marginalized group or those in the midst of dire circumstances and composed sensationalized stories for members of the middle and upper classes of Victorian society.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 26, 2010
ezeagu:

The BBC showed the reality for 70%+ of Lagos inhabitants, anybody saying otherwise has never been to Lagos.

What arrant nonsense. The vast majority of Lagosians certainly do not live in makeshift settlements like Makoko. You need to find other data in order to achieve your obvious objective of cheap political point-scoring.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 26, 2010
okunoba:

@sagamite , u are right about the programme not being balanced, instead of showing only honest, hard working and kind Nigerians it should have also shown the corrupt, greedy and fraudulent Nigerians that we are better known for by the rest of the World.
Again your comment is illogical and nonsensical. In fact honest hard-working and decent Nigerians are found in all classes of society not just the downtrodden
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Sagamite(m): 7:32pm On Apr 26, 2010
A ridiculing contrast like this would have been very good:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-321491.0.html
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 7:38pm On Apr 26, 2010
Sagamite:

A ridiculing contrast like this would have been very good:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-321491.0.html

una still dey debate this topic, lol. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ezeagu(m): 8:22pm On Apr 26, 2010
tensor777:

What arrant nonsense. The vast majority of Lagosians certainly do not live in makeshift settlements like Makoko. You need to find other data in order to achieve your obvious objective of cheap political point-scoring.

After all that English 70%+ of Lagos inhabitants will still live in waste and the people who developed the language will continue to laugh at your denial.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by GODSON2009(m): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2010
Busy_body:

YOU ARE SUCH A BLEEDING HYPROCRITE, YOU STARTED OFF BY SLATING SAGAMITE FOR ALLEGEDLY CALLING PEOPLE NAMES YET YOU DO THE SAME BY CALLING PEOPLE DELUSIONAL, IGNORANT, ILLITERATES, UNCARING, SELFISH CORRUPT SHOWOFFS, ETC IN JUST ONE POST undecided WONDERS SHALL NEVER END undecided
after reading your comments,i had a good laugh,called my brother and he had  good laugh before proceeding to reply you.
first of all and please dont take this the wrong way, are you ok??you dont seem to be judging by the amount of venom driping from your comments,if you reply this set of comments please take a deeeeep breath in,calm yourself down and and reply comments like a reasonable adult which i  am guessing you are having read some of your comments in the past.
i have tried to see which of my comments actually kick stated your e-ranting and raving and the only conclusion i have being able to come to apart from the one in the first line of my comments,and checking the datetime of the month on my phone, is that you are hurt in some way on behalf of your friend,partner,oss whatever, if that is wh you have taken it this personal then i apologise to your friend so you will lay off my back, i dont do e-bullying,ranting,raving or foaming in the mouth to make my points, now sing along with me somebody needs to love somebody, somebody needs to love somebody,  grin
as for the insults credited to me up there,maybe you should go back and re-read my comments and not take your friend's word for it
Busy_body:

How apt, considering you were the one initially asking why we were drinking paracetamol for someone else's headache? So what do we call your own inteference with our stance on the topic, wetin concern you if i have issues with the topic, suegbe undecided
i had no idea it was a "WE" tag team now, lool and i dont re collect ever making any reference to you either now or ever in my 500 and something posts,are you sure you are reffering to the right GODSON009?
Busy_body:

Again, why quote him and then get your knickers in a twist when he replied you, ehn Sule undecided undecided undecided
which one of the sules,is it alfa sule??lol
Busy_body:

Dumbo, care to list just one of BBC's objective that was met undecided Laughable for you to think the programme was commissioned to highlight the credibility of Nigerians and see us doing other things apart from 419's etc. Go and cover your face in shame embarassed
well , that contrary to the popular perception of lagos state especially the ghettoes as being lawless, inhabited by criminals and ner do wells,the documentary has shown the resoursefull ness,positive optimism,the democratic way in which the dump for instance was run by the leader even when vocal slender got into trouble and how fund was raised for him e.t.
the documentary as shown the typal nigerian values, did you see mr chubbey and how he got his whole family to eat together? he never begrudged his state in life,but got on with it happily and made the best use of the options he had, he did not indulge in shady stuffs,same as joseph,vocal slender.
look at the guys working on the dumps,they were overwhelmingly young men,meaning not all young men in lagos nigeria indulge in drug dealing and yahoo yahoo.
part from these obvious positive percptions which the docuentary has shown the outside world,and british viewevers.vocal slender's life has been changed due to the publicity generated by that documentary same as josephs life.
muchmore fundamentally however,the documentary has shown that co not that dumb am i?ntrary to the generalperception of africans being lazy,ignorant and expecting hand outs  from donor agencies,all they need are the opportunitis and they will exceed wesern expectations.did you notice that politics,politicians,crudeoil and all that for once did not featureprominentally in the documentary?
did you otice that the guy did not pity them neither did he patronise the like ross kemp or any of the others?
i could go on and on to list more obectives that was metincluding the advantage of the documentary to the average nigerian
how have i done with my over view?? smiley not that dumb am i?lol
Busy_body:

So Mr Know it all, are you saying only middle class children go to school in Nigeria, that no one from a poor background has ever set foot in University because of poverty shocked You are really really wet behind the ears and have a loooog way to go, slowcoach embarassed
of course not,if there was a middle class in nigeria, all classes go to school in nigeria but one thing i know is that none of the subjects shown in that documentary can afford to send themself to a university, talk less of sending their children or wards, as for the poor sending their children to school, well open another thread and i will happily debate that with you
Busy_body:

BBC commissioned the porogramme to celebrate the poor   shocked
exactly,now do you gerrit?? being a nigerian i am sure that sounds preposterous abi? as racist as oyinbo can be they are not like us o
Busy_body:

Oh so who were they celebrating in the alledged witchchildren's case, see arindin's logic lipsrsealed
and what exactly has that todo with  ADULTS in lagos ghettoes??,  lipsrsealed
Busy_body:

Daftie, pretty please does not have nada to do with gender undecided Why would he wanna call you pretty in this scenario? Don't you have a working brain undecided
oh i see,maybe i am slow on the uptake when it comes to some slangs? its the african man in me reacting, pretty and male dont go together in my own dictionary/vocabulary.
Busy_body:

And pray tell what choice the middleclass have that got handed to them on a platter of gold? Mind you, I wouldn't hold my breath lipsrsealed
none,even the likes of halima babangida didnt get everything handed to em on a platter of gold,that is life,but we are looking at this in the particular "context" and when you talk about opportunities,ihope you realise it is relative to the particular people concerned??one thing every single person agrees with irrespective of their class in the society is that the demographics represented by the guys in the documentary are the invincibles,the dregs of the society, they are experiencing the worst of the worst, unless you will like to try living on a rubbish dump for 1 week,eating,having your bath in publc resuming for work on a rubbish dum on a wet monday morning
Busy_body:

really, so Seun had money in the bank and as born with a silver spoon in his mouth hence shouldn't be celebrated
first off,i know nothing about the dude second no matter what he went through or is going through presently,i am cock sure that he is not living in a wooden one room kiosk,neither is he living on a dump,neither is he living bathing e.t.c on a wooden kiosk built on wooden stilts so unless you are saying that he derserves the break than  eric obuh,or josep then i am at a loss concerning your thoughprocess which to me is all over the place and puzzling to say the least
Busy_body:

You are the one who needs to lay off the ganja. You are supposed to smoke it, not the other way round cool You can't even quote posts properly without making a hash of things, so how do you expect to be able to reason logically and sensibly tackle such posts undecided
lool and your own posts are properly construed??looooool the honest to GOD truth is that i failed to get any appreciable point in the whole of your posts,at least with your friend his grouse is that the documentary is not depicting the reality of the nigerian or lagos society.with yours all i keep rewding are insults,abuse and incoherent comments and open ended comments with zero substance.

PRETTY PLEASE, i know you can do better,so i am guessing you had a rough sunday maybe a white person treated you in a racially biased way and you though to take it out on me.i am hoping you had a better day today so i will be expecting  a better effort devoid of unnecssary abuse and insults.
dont forget to sing that song to yourselfanytime you feel like abusing , somebody needs to love somebody,  grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by GODSON2009(m): 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2010
Sagamite:

You are a slowpoke. Read my posts again and see if that was all I got from it.
this is really funny your friend/helper is attacking from the front,while you are cutting off any retreat from the flank, military formation grin i ve read your posts again and what i could deduce from it is that you want the bbc doumentary to balance the story as it were by showing smartly suited up nigerians,the lovely houses and cars,i will ask you for the upteenth time pls do tell me to what purpose will this be either in the short run or long run?? why the need to project a personae to the outside world that we all know is totally fake and contrived??
have you read the reports of aid agencies,internatioal ngos e.t.c on nigeria??
what you seem to be saying is that the rich/priviledged,the middle class who at least have a choice should be given even more bandwidth to the detriment of the dirt poor if the likes of the young smart bankers for instance are given a platform in the documentry,will the girl in the third installment or mr chubbey or the machine operator andthe 2 young boys have a voice?
i dont know about you,but i have lived and schooled in lagos all my life before travelling out,and i have never heard of these places in my life
Sagamite:

Dimwit, speak for yourself, your limitations and your virtually certain failure in life. From the structuring of your posts, I can understand it would be hard for you to achieve much in life.
cant we all get along?why the curses on a very nice sunday/monday?? i reject it in jesus name grin grin
Sagamite:

And majority of Lagosians live of dumps or live in places like Makoko?

believe it or not majority of lagosians do live horrible lives through no fault of their own,second every documentary has its focus and this one's is towards these demographic. the title welcome to lagos,is meant to showcase another lagos which many including myself have not heard or seen before, i dont know why you all are shouting over a completely objective potrayal of living conditios in lagos ghettoes, why didnt the christians in egypt who were shown living in dump complain?
why didnt channel 4 balance the documentary by showing egyptianhristians living i mansions?
like my dad says,there s no cheating in a photograph it ll show you exactly how you look and pose, we are being shown what we look like and the onus is on us to get off our collective asses and do something to help those guys
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2010
GODSON2009:

after reading your comments,i had a good laugh,called my brother and he had  good laugh before proceeding to reply you.
Odikwa serious, you called your bro b/c of a NL reply? shocked

lol Lemme call my pastor to come and laugh too undecided
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by okunoba(m): 10:34pm On Apr 26, 2010
@tenor777, Thanks. if hard working people can be found in all classes of society, what then is the problem with showing the hard working and downtrodden, who happen to be the majority of Lagosians, are u not aware that more than 70% of people in Lagos, live in poverty. I presume u will rather see the rich and mighty who constitute only about 15% of the population. Sorry mate the programme was about those voiceless 70% that live in poverty, who have been forgotten by Nigerian media and NollyWood. It`s a shame it took a foreign press to give them a voice.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 26, 2010
GODSON2009:

believe it or not majority of lagosians do live horrible lives through no fault of their own,second every documentary has its focus and this one's is towards these demographic. the title welcome to lagos,is meant to showcase another lagos which many including myself have not heard or seen before, i dont know why you all are shouting over a completely objective potrayal of living conditios in lagos ghettoes, why didnt the christians in egypt who were shown living in dump complain?
why didnt channel 4 balance the documentary by showing egyptianhristians living i mansions?
like my dad says,there s no cheating in a photograph it ll show you exactly how you look and pose, we are being shown what we look like and the onus is on us to get off our collective asses and do something to help those guys
You definitely need to make your posts more structured, more coherent and most importantly, more concise.
The legitimate question is do most Lagosians live in makeshift settlements like Makoko? No
Another legitimate question is do most Lagosians scavenge from refuse dumps to make a living? No
Clearly then the title of the documentary is misleading and inappropriate
Any other comment you are making here is off point and uninteresting,
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 12:57am On Apr 27, 2010
tensor777:

You definitely need to make your posts more structured, more coherent and most importantly, more concise.
The legitimate question is do most Lagosians live in makeshift settlements like Makoko? No
Another legitimate question is do most Lagosians scavenge from refuse dumps to make a living? No
Clearly then the title of the documentary is misleading and inappropriate
Any other comment you are making here is off point and uninteresting,

When did those questions slip in there? What for? That has NEVER been the question. The question is about the documentary . . . That the majority of lagosians live in slum-like conditions, whether in makeshift settlements or face-2-face, or in areas with no serious sanitation, or in areas where there is no access to clean water, is reason enough why the lives of majority ought to count, especially in this. You keep going all over the place with this. I would like to know what point you stop and make some serious and connected point on this!!
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by ziga: 1:37am On Apr 27, 2010
Well, they've always said we are all bushmen because we don't do things like they do. So, who are we to argue.

PS. the documentary was focused on the life of these slum dwellers.

We are here making judgments whereas, the narrator never judged these guys but was in admiration of their lifestyle.

Black people will always be slaves in their minds.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Kobojunkie: 2:19am On Apr 27, 2010
ziga:

Well, they've always said we are all bushmen because we don't do things like they do. So, who are we to argue.

"they've always said"?what do you even mean by that ?

ziga:

PS. the documentary was focused on the life of these slum dwellers.

Slum Dwellers are not human beings? Our government does not focus on them, and in our democracy, they are the majority . . . yet, we barely even notice them in our own society. They deserve to be noticed and honored, and that is what I believe that documentary has done. Now if we can only learn to appreciate even the crippled in our society, don't you believe that would go a long way in changing the mindset of majority of Nigerians, enough to cause and demand change from the few?
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Cohomology: 5:19am On Apr 27, 2010
May God punish the federal government for protesting the BBC documentary. Those @#$%^^$@ won't go do their jobs and lift Nigeria and Nigerians out of grinding poverty; they're wasting time protesting their a.s.s.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Zoneout(m): 1:02pm On Apr 27, 2010
I dont watch that crap programme anyway, its obvious british tv has got their own picture of what Africa should look like when ever they wanna potray it to their audience. I remember watching an episode of UK border force on sky ,and it was meant to be based on MMA lagos, first thing they showed on screen was a slum with trash every where,saying Lagos Nigeria. The programmes meant to be about our airport, why not show the airport,national theatre etc as a introduction? Nope,Its Africa people dont wanna see that, they wanna see the image this oyibos ve always showed them.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 11:00pm On Apr 27, 2010
Kobojunkie:

When did those questions slip in there? What for? That has NEVER been the question. The question is about the documentary . . . That the majority of lagosians live in slum-like conditions, whether in makeshift settlements or face-2-face, or in areas with no serious sanitation, or in areas where there is no access to clean water, is reason enough why the lives of majority ought to count, especially in this. You keep going all over the place with this. I would like to know what point you stop and make some serious and connected point on this!!

Here comes Kobojunkie with her clipboard and her 21 questions grin Why don't you direct your query to those quoting 70%, whom tensor777's post was clearly referencing and responding to undecided

Kobojunkie:

"they've always said"?what do you even mean by that ?

Slum Dwellers are not human beings? Our government does not focus on them, and in our democracy, they are the majority . . . yet, we barely even notice them in our own society. They deserve to be noticed and honored, and that is what I believe that documentary has done. Now if we can only learn to appreciate even the crippled in our society, don't you believe that would go a long way in changing the mindset of majority of Nigerians, enough to cause and demand change from the few?

Shuo, come, which side of the fence are you on undecided Aren't you and ziga saying the same thing shocked

And the greatest irony is you telling someone a few posts back to learn to join/connect the dots cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by Busybody2(f): 11:08pm On Apr 27, 2010
@ Godson2009

Mr Sule bada feeling funky cheesy I still full ground oh, na soon come ya case be cheesy cheesy cheesy

ElRazur:

Busy Body lwkmd.

Omo how you dey nau? And how your sexy sister. cool

I am fine and have never been better beau kiss Thanks for asking after my sexy self tongue Oh, my sister the plain jane is fine too o jare grin

FL Gators:

Odikwa serious, you called your bro b/c of a NL reply? shocked

lol Lemme call my pastor to come and laugh too undecided

Make i come join you call my bingo too grin
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by maedan(f): 11:26pm On Apr 27, 2010
I will read the 8+ pages tomorrow to catch up, but I must say I saw the report on TV a couple of days ago. When I heard them mention they will be showing a documentary titled "This Is Lagos", I just knew it will be rubbish. And it was. Very myopic, lazy and bigoted report, I was so ashamed and disgusted that I changed the channel several times. I finally just couldn't finish it. I stayed in Lagos for most of my life, and that was NOT Lagos. A part of it, yes, but that is not what Lagos is about. The reporters should be ashamed. Is this what BBC calls journalism? Now there is something in the papers about "Environmental Racism" in Nigeria (Niger Delta). They are really on our case this period.
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by UpBendel(m): 11:33pm On Apr 27, 2010
I see sagamite is now offline. Thank God!! Finally we can now breath,
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by SEFAGO(m): 11:38pm On Apr 27, 2010
UpBendel:

I see sagamite is now offline. Thank God!! Finally we can now breath,

grin grin grin - dont speak too quickly
Re: Nigeria Why Hate The Truth - Fg Protests Bbc Documentary On Lagos by UpBendel(m): 11:53pm On Apr 27, 2010
SEFAGO:

grin grin grin - dont speak too quickly

Doubt it. Britico boys have to get up early for gburu tomorrow morning,

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

No Apologies Over Bombing Of Bandits- Yari / PDP Mourn Nwabia, Commiserates With Family / JUST IN: Adams Oshiomole And Wife Lara Seperate, Agree On Silence Deal - Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.