Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,750 members, 7,813,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport - Business (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport (17232 Views)

‘ghosts’ Set Shops Ablaze In Anambra Over High Cost Of Goods (photo) / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) / Abuja Traders Using Cars As Shops Because Of High Cost Of Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by banku: 5:43pm On May 03, 2010
You sabi pretend, na wa!

But thanks for making my point, see the bold in your reply.

Again using Abu's money to bail out Abu.

blaksmith:

And I am supposed to respond to what exactly in your comment which is hardly coherent. If you do not understand certain terms in my post, look them up on google. I assume you were trying to tell me the funders of AfDB and DFI (assuming you think this is the name of an institution), but you have still failed to say who these 'funders' are. Paris club, what does the Paris club have to do with any of this. If you do not know the structure of the Paris Club and what it did then don't mention it in a situation that does not warrant it. So I am still waiting for you to tell me the funders because you emphatically made reference to have this knowledge,

If you are still lacking in the knowledge I might be able to point you in the right direction (then again whether you can tell your left from your right is another issue entirely). visit www.afdb.org and search for member countries and you would realise that those who fund the AfDB are in fact regional African countries and other Western countries. Also be informed that Nigeria is the largest shareholder of the AfDB. If you do not understand, then don't criticize!!! 'My people perish for lack of knowledge', and to some Ignorance really is bliss.

'Mr Cool', hahaha. what a joke!!!

And I just read your post again, shame on me for even replying!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by labiyemmy(m): 5:59pm On May 03, 2010
afam4eva:

Common sense, Nigeria is one of the poorest nations in the world yet you think building airports all over the place is best thing to do.

Realy?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by blaksmith: 6:05pm On May 03, 2010
banku:

You sabi pretend, na wa!

But thanks for making my point, see the bold in your reply.

Again using Abu's money to bail out Abu.

You really are an absolute joke. and I really hoped you would take time out into researching the AfDB, then again, your aversion to engaging your mind in some research does not surprise me. And because Nigeria is the largest shareholder you think it is a case of Abu using his money to bail himself out. Until you understand how DFIs work, you would never see the standpoint of my argument. You would only continue passing comments based on the distance between your forehead and your nose. I would not help you cure your ignorance when the solution is right before you. You at least know how to operate a computer, use the internet wisely now. google AfDB and inform yourself on how it is funding development projects all across Africa.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by banku: 6:40pm On May 03, 2010
Common brother, talk sense and stop insults. It will take you no where.

There are enough brains in Nigeria to stop financial leak outside the country. I am happy we contribute to African banks to help those less fortunate than us.

If other developing countries can use their resources to benefit themselves, so can we. They turn deserts into cities with infrastructure, Nigeria and Lagos can turn Olowogbowo, Isaleko, Agegunle etc areas into functioning target areas instead of going to Europe and America for foreign expert in Big Dig, air ports, Artlantic City etc. Projects that are foreign and hard currency intensive that we can never have enough of or even generate enough fund to buy. It is this foriegn mentality that is killing us, so we want to turn Lagos into New York and pay through our nose.

There is a difference between civilization and modernization. Only civilized living give you enough time to THINK and create yourself not what other people think and create for sale.

What is wrong with sound agriculture, fish ponds as done by poor people in Maroko, in all the suburbs of Lagos, manufacturing plants to upgrade and refine our raw materials instead of readymade from overseas with money we do not print in Nigeria? Those can not produce jobs?

Who told you we can buy our way through anything with money? That we can borrow against the future of our children and pay whatever interest and penalties which you think is not related to the topic. THINK my brother. Nigeria is a consumer of the best of everything and producer of none. Our house is not in order. We have too much leaking out faster than we can make, even with all the natural resources in the world.

THINK, no need for insults.

blaksmith:

You really are an absolute joke. and I really hoped you would take time out into researching the AfDB, then again, your aversion to engaging your mind in some research does not surprise me. And because Nigeria is the largest shareholder you think it is a case of Abu using his money to bail himself out. Until you understand how DFIs work, you would never see the standpoint of my argument. You would only continue passing comments based on the distance between your forehead and your nose. I would not help you cure your ignorance when the solution is right before you. You at least know how to operate a computer, use the internet wisely now. google AfDB and inform yourself on how it is funding development projects all across Africa.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 8:49pm On May 03, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Realy?

That is just another contribution!!!!!!!.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by sendtodeji: 9:07pm On May 03, 2010
I wasn't able to read through all the posts. So you will excuse me if someone has already written this. Fashola seems to actually be borrowing some ideas, although not from BBC as suggested. Atlanta Airport in Georgia is said to be the busiest airport in the US. Guess who owns it? It's owned by Atlanta Local Government (County). Who owns MMIA - Federal or State government? Fashola probably sees another airport as a revenue generating potential for the state, in direct competition with MMIA. I can guarantee you that the moment the new airport launches, MMIA might be forced to close shop, provided that the facilities provided by Lagos International Airport surpasses what is on ground at MMIA. So, let's seek to understand the motive. Let's not be too quick to be judgmental. He is still better than a thousand IBBs combined and some of the other prominent looters who sit and watch till the infrastructures they inherit crumbled in their own face. The man's decision to award contracts to certain chose construction outfits is actually a strategy that ensures delivery of a job. We all know that when contracts are politically motivated, they only end up being done on paper. That is why we still don't have stable electricity in Nigeria despite the amount of money sunk into that sector.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by elfels(m): 10:37pm On May 03, 2010
Its a good idea for Lagos state and Nigeria as a whole. Its a good option to traffic congestion on lekki - epe expressway.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 12:23am On May 04, 2010
olanajim:

babapupa,
I am sure you are the one that deserved that comment. I am more of an insider than you think. Always think before replying posts. I am sure the things you typed are the rubbish!

I drafted a memo for the Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers in support of the light rail project. Unknown to you, and your cyber-commentators, the project is facing some problems. I should know better since I drafted the memo, which was meant for the FG. Also we have close link with the CCECC. So, in my opinion, the airport is a white elephant project and will gulp more money than stated.

If Fashola is truly focus, he should know that he cant just build a airport without FG approval and that it is best to sort out the problem with light rails before going into another project of even greater challenge.

FYI, no one can operate an airport unless FG through her agencies permit it. And no where in the world will airport operates without air traffic controllers etc. You cant tell me that if FG waged veracious war against Lagos Independent power project(which died anyway) due to refusal of nepa to cooperate, and also against the use of Nigerian railway track and route (which is yet to be fully resolved), then it, FG, will simply conceed a airspace like that. Surely, most comentators are misfit when it come to commenting on issues like this. So many things needed to be done before announcing the project. Just like the IPP, and the light rail, I am sure Lagos state first dazzle public opinions before contacting relevant authority. That is why the project may fail or suffer another lengthy extension with attendan waste of resources.

Looking at the geographical size of lagos, from profesional angle, the airport is useless and will only benefit the rich who are in hurry to get to their location. The best will have been to have helicopter instead!

Anyway, it is good to have #73b airport when our schools and medical centres are begging for attention. It is in Nigerian culture to waste time and money on bigger problem that tackling smaller ones.

Must you bore me with this silly nonsense?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by EMOlusuyi: 1:49am On May 04, 2010
I will love to see friends posting facts and figures. So that this medium can be a site to pick info that relates to our polity. the airport and bridge initiative is a good one. Let the intra city transportation be included in the plan. We are happy with the Okokomaiko - Marina light rail project.

The government has paid N8.05bn to the Chinese company, to design and build the 27 kilometre line expected to run from Okokomaiko to Marina.

What is wrong if we could push for another one running from Badagry to Marina?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 3:32am On May 04, 2010
EMOlusuyi:

I will love to see friends posting facts and figures. So that this medium can be a site to pick info that relates to our polity. the airport and bridge initiative is a good one. Let the intra city transportation be included in the plan. We are happy with the Okokomaiko - Marina light rail project.

The government has paid N8.05bn to the Chinese company, to design and build the 27 kilometre line expected to run from Okokomaiko to Marina.

What is wrong if we could push for another one running from Badagry to Marina?

Great question and wonderful take per the discussion.

The fact that the metro rail system is inbuilt and part of the 10 lane freeway system warms our heart.

The fact is, some folks are not interested and it's not their intention to engage in any kind of healthy debate. Many are ill equipped with facts and knowledge about the state, it's leaders and general aspirations.

Lagos of today is blessed with dynamic and visionaries leaders, they are taking bold steps and making ground breaking and forward looking  decisions thats very unNigerian.

It's been asserted that Nigeria is overtaking China and India  as the largest construction site in the world for the next 20 yrs, basically fastest of all markets. This is because most  of the international construction money flowing around points to Nigeria and we know most of these projects are linked directly to construction activities in Lagos state starting with the new city at Eko Atlantic,10 lane Badagry freeway with rail system, roads and bridges, rail system, massive waterway transportation and Jetty infrastructure.

Ocean front in VI is about to start looking like Brazilian beach front with breath taking skyline. The whole stretch is basically a construction site as we speak, commerce and industries like Dangote, Energy businesses and textile mills are moving to new industrial layouts in Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry.

Just last month, the state show case Badagry to the world as a major tourist destination with the 3 Black Heritage festival. Funds for the $1.5 billion Energy city in Badagry with tons of commercial, leisure, aquatic entertainment is already on the table.

Obviously, these massive projects are not gonna build themselves, lagosians are gonna be part of the whole endeavor with millions of Lagosians from construction engineers to food and catering services, consultants, advertisers and graphic designers and many many down streem folks collecting steady pay checks and millions of Lagosians are gonna end up staffing most of these establishments.

The only major job vacancies with the Lagos state government are Town planners and engineers, it basically tells you what the state and it's leaders are thinking, it also highlights their primary focus.

Most of the negative and shallow loud mouths don't know anything about the state or it's activities, they are clueless about the empowering factors of job creation. How many of them visits the Governors web site to at least follow his and the states activities? I don't think they know where he was yesterday or what project he commissioned or what ideas he floated and the reasons behind his many thoughts and moves.

I know this is very new to a lot of little thinking folks on NL and in Nigeria, it's hard for them to understand and digest what is going on in Lagos state when their villages ARE basically still in back in the stone age.

Lagos state is fast moving ahead of Nigeria itself. 

I can not help but rejoice to the fact that these backward elements are never gonna be part of any decision making body in Alahusa.

I even feel sorry for their villages for the low thinking caliber of people they are blessed with.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by seunajia: 5:49am On May 04, 2010
The Airport project is a wellcomed development, it'll further open up the Lekki pennisula and fastrack the development of Lagos. The Construction of an Airport in Lekki will reap the fllg- 1. Creation of EMPLOYMENT ie skilled and unskilled during and after construction (bricklayers carpenters welders foodsellers etc). 2. Reducing traffic to and fro the mainland ( goods and services needed in FTZ and environ need not go thru MMA ie wastage of economic hours) 3. Easy access to transport for residents and bizness people. ( Imagine how far on road i'll have to travel to get to MMA living in Lekki and environ!) 4. Picture this- After construction, Aviation people. Engrs Drivers Cleaners etc etc would be employed to run the place, These people have children who will attend schools who will employ teachers. purchase things from markets and malls. Need the services of artisans nd healthcare pros who will have families and inturn employ oda ppl. And so on, Imagine the benefits on the economy. 5. Revenue 4 govt thru returns taxes royalties etc 6. A place as big requires dis a stadium and more. We shld stop dis pull em down syndrome and support progress. Some ppl ere are just basic clowns or speculators- always causing confusion/ turnin issues upside down. I dnt boda readin deir posts cos its waste of precious tym, BTW. I'm nt saying ppl shldnt ask questns and challenge deir leaders, but we shld be objective and non prejudicial. On the odahand, d govt shld maintain and improve dis and build oda social amenities dat'll complement dis highly important infrastructure. (Pls ovaluk errors especially in punctuation. im typin frm a phone),
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by viclee009: 2:31pm On May 04, 2010
goodluck with that grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 04, 2010
this is wat i don't know - IMAGINE! CONFIRMED!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by banku: 3:52pm On May 04, 2010
Babapupa,

Lagos of today is blessed with dynamic and visionaries leaders, they are taking bold steps and making ground breaking and forward looking  decisions thats very unNigerian.

Mention one of them better than Jakande. I love Fashola for being a one eye man in the jungle of blind Nigerians.

Look, even if I agree, arquendo, with all the development projects. How many of it is wholly Nigerian executed. Your payer for who you are a PRO studied in Chicago. But how many engineers did he bring back to establish and live in Nigeria like those before him. Some of the African American and West Indians brought back are today indistinguisable from Nigerians in Law and medicine. That was what was needed then.

Today, we need according to you mega developments. So how many of these can be purchased in naira? Do we have enough US or British cashistics to prosecute our needs.

You claim to be a Lagosian telling others to go beck to their villages. You are a liar and no where from Lagos. Since I do not want to get involve in name calling, go find out from Lagosians, the name given to people like you. Always propagating your pockets and self interest in the name of Lagosians.

Anyone that dance to the tune of Iragbiji, has a name in Lagos. Even Fashola, your boss is now developing cold feet as a lawyer and SAN for that matter. Why do you think they keep on making peace between them? He knows the consequences of all these foreign projects that do not enrich Lagosians locally.

On the other hand, if you are a true Lagosian, THINK deep.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 5:43pm On May 04, 2010
^^^^^

Though, I'm not calling you a foolish man, but only a foolish man concludes that one man is an island. Obviously, Fashola is not running the show all by himself, we have tons of aids, commissioners, agency leaders and lawmakers and even messengers. They are all dynamic leaders and the wonderful results of their great efforts is out there for all to see, they are  receiving awards and recognition locally and internationally for the outstanding work they are doing.

As for you and the rest of your irrelevant argument, seems you have other issues beyond the topic at hand, I really can not help you with that, I don't even have the time to entertain silly and warped assertions.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by sizzlers(m): 5:54pm On May 04, 2010
babapupa:

^^^^^

Though, I'm not calling you a foolish man, but only a foolish man concludes that one man is an island. Obviously, Fashola is not running the show all by himself, we have tons of aids, commissioners, agency leaders and lawmakers and even messengers. They are all dynamic leaders and the wonderful results of their great efforts is out there for all to see, they are  receiving awards and recognition locally and internationally for the outstanding work they are doing.

As for you and the rest of your irrelevant argument, seems you have other issues beyond the topic at hand, I really can not help you with that, I don't even have the time to entertain silly and warped assertions.
I DONT GET U BRO.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by sjeezy8: 5:55pm On May 04, 2010
whether you people like it or not - there will be two airports in lagos.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 6:11pm On May 04, 2010
sizzlers:

I DONT GET U BRO.

It was typed in English, not French.

Precisely telling me what you didn't get would have sufficed.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by banku: 7:19pm On May 04, 2010
Babapupa,

Pity, no substance. Read that reply again and THINK. Better still you can ask someone else that thinks, if you are not blinded by greed.

babapupa:

^^^^^

Though, I'm not calling you a foolish man, but only a foolish man concludes that one man is an island. Obviously, Fashola is not running the show all by himself, we have tons of aids, commissioners, agency leaders and lawmakers and even messengers. They are all dynamic leaders and the wonderful results of their great efforts is out there for all to see, they are receiving awards and recognition locally and internationally for the outstanding work they are doing.

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by jumobi1(m): 8:15pm On May 04, 2010
Use 73 Billion to repair and build as many necessary roads in Logos. That would stimulate the economy, (collect tolls as necessary too). People are tired of spending hours on the road. This airport is too extravagant. Start with the more basic and necessary project. If the govs rationale is to reduce airport traffic, can't some of that money be used for expansion?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 8:28pm On May 04, 2010
banku:

Babapupa,

Pity, no substance. Read that reply again and THINK. Better still you can ask someone else that thinks, if you are not blinded by greed.

I'm not interested. Abi na by force?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by banku: 8:47pm On May 04, 2010
Pandemonium as fire razes EFCC’s Lagos office
Headlines May 4, 2010
EFCC Lagos Office on Fire

Waziri Orders Probe Into Fire Incident in Lagos Office
By Albert AKPOR

LAGOS- PANDEMONIUM broke out Tuesday at the Awolowo road, Ikoyi Lagos, head office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, after in the early hours of fire razed down four offices belonging to the legal department; destroying important documents including computers of the anti-graft agency.
No life was lost and the monetary value of property destroyed could not be ascertained as at press time.
Sources said a thick smoke was noticed billowing out of some offices of around 10.45am and that the thick smoke later turned into flames.

The cause of the fire could not be immediately ascertained but sources said it may not be unconnected with faulty electrical apparatus.

Workers who were at the premises at the time of the inferno scampered for safety watching helplessly as it raged on.

Remains of the Legal department of the EFCC in Lagos after an Inferno
But the nearby fire brigade office on Awolowo road Ikoyi was promptly contacted and was able to salvage the situation.

As at 12.30pm when Vanguard visited the agency’s office, fire fighters were still seen at the scene frantically ensuring that it did not spread to adjoining offices.

The anti-corruption agency’s Lagos spokes person, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, while reacting to the inferno, dismissed any foul play in connection with the early morning inferno, saying however, that “nobody can say exactly the cause of the fire now.

Continuing, Mr. Uwujaren maintained that during the inferno, power was being generated from a generating set, adding “all we saw, was smoke coming out from some offices and we immediately contacted the Awolowo road office of the fire brigade and the officials came and put out the fire.

Nobody was hurt and we are yet to determine the extent of damage.”

Waziri Orders Probe Into Fire Incident in Lagos Office

Chairman of the the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mrs. Farida Waziri has ordered a probe into a fire incident in the Lagos Office of the Commission.
A statement by the anti-graft agency on Tuesday May 4, 2010 states that after being briefed on the incident, the Chairman said that though not much damage was done to the affected facility, she had to ask for a probe of the incident to be able to establish the cause of the fire.

At about 11:30 am today, Tuesday, three out of the 13 offices occupied by the legal unit in our Awolowo road, Ikoyi, Lagos office were affected by a fire outbreak that reportedly started in one of the offices.

It is however gratifying that the fire was quickly put out through the prompt intervention of men of the fire service in Ikoyi before it could spread to other offices where sensitive case files are kept.

Members of the public are therefore assured that our case files are safe and secure.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by webgenius(m): 10:01pm On May 04, 2010
This discourse has been interesting to follow despite the few attempts to derail it. I would suggest the govt slows down on implementing the airport project, even if the masterplan is there. Let them go ahead and implement the rail option, using MMA as a cargo hub and with a rail track connecting MMA to the LFTZ. This same track can also serve commuters if well managed and LASG can liase with the Feds to take care of many worries raised about MMA.
When the LFTZ becomes operational and there is an established need to build the airport, let the work begin and be done expeditiously.
It would amount to a monumental tragedy if the airport project goes ahead and we find out later that it was never necessary, cannot be completed ,or is grossly underutilised as those in South Korea which are economic disasters on their own right.
I also think that LASG is stretching itself too thin on many fronts. Let's complete the light rail, the Badagry expressway, the many jetties being built, the expansion of the BRT Scheme etc and record resounding successes in all these, then we can proceed on other projects which would benefit the people. BRF has a short time left and since he has never repeated a class, I will like to see him complete the above-mentioned projects before he undertakes new ones. I am still waiting for the commissioning of the Okota-Itire link bridge so I can begin to use it( I think this was supposed to be ready in August 2009).

Please BRF, complete these projects and have your name written in gold forever in the hearts of ALL Lagosians. Let the private investors join you in your schemes, or let them wait until their desired projects are desirable or there is incontrovertible need for them.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 10:09pm On May 04, 2010
i hear the okota link bridge will be commissioned next tuesday
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by banku: 10:14pm On May 04, 2010
Webgenius,

Thanks my buroda. Many people can wait for the Okota-Itire link bridge.

Can you do me a favor? I want to bring my blood Babapupa home. I need anybody's help.

He say make I leave am alone jo, abi na by tulasi! He don drink Iragbiji wata, gbamgbam.

webgenius:

This discourse has been interesting to follow despite the few attempts to derail it. I would suggest the govt slows down on implementing the airport project, even if the masterplan is there. Let them go ahead and implement the rail option, using MMA as a cargo hub and with a rail track connecting MMA to the LFTZ. This same track can also serve commuters if well managed and LASG can liase with the Feds to take care of many worries raised about MMA.
When the LFTZ becomes operational and there is an established need to build the airport, let the work begin and be done expeditiously.
It would amount to a monumental tragedy if the airport project goes ahead and we find out later that it was never necessary, cannot be completed ,or is grossly underutilised as those in South Korea which are economic disasters on their own right.
I also think that LASG is stretching itself too thin on many fronts. Let's complete the light rail, the Badagry expressway, the many jetties being built, the expansion of the BRT Scheme etc and record resounding successes in all these, then we can proceed on other projects which would benefit the people. BRF has a short time left and since he has never repeated a class, I will like to see him complete the above-mentioned projects before he undertakes new ones. I am still waiting for the commissioning of the Okota-Itire link bridge so I can begin to use it( I think this was supposed to be ready in August 2009).

Please BRF, complete these projects and have your name written in gold forever in the hearts of ALL Lagosians. Let the private investors join you in your schemes, or let them wait until their desired projects are desirable or there is incontrovertible need for them.

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 12:17am On May 05, 2010
jumobi1:

Use 73 Billion to repair and build as many necessary roads in Logos. That would stimulate the economy, (collect tolls as necessary too). People are tired of spending hours on the road. This airport is too extravagant. Start with the more basic and necessary project. If the govs rationale is to reduce airport traffic, can't some of that money be used for expansion?

The price tag for the Airport is N43.3 while the almost completed Lekki-Ikoyi bridge will gulp N30 billion. We need to have a clear understanding of what's going on.

I see what you're saying, roads are very important, but they are not the only pressing needs state officials and Lagosians are facing. Lifting millions of Lagosians out of poverty and improving their standard of living is equally important. Though, tons of roads, bridges, highways and freeways are under construction as we speak, the most important thing right now is job creation vial massive  projects like the LFTZ, eko atlantic, the ten lane Badagry freeway with BRT and light rail access, the Lagos metro rail system, water transportation/jetty construction and many more.

The LFTZ plus the downstream and auxiliary sector of the LFTZ alone are set to be the largest employer and tax generator in Lagos state, the money generated from the LFTZ alone should be more than enough to build not only roads, but more schools, hospitals and clinics.

Thousands of people are gonna be collecting paychecks to house and feed their families, we get technology transfer, we also get technical and managerial skilled Lagosians from the industrial, manufacturing, energy and other activities within the LFTZ and if I might add, the new airport is very important per the future and success of the LFT itself.

Abi how do you rationalize and justify hundreds of trucks moving goods/cargo from Lekki trough the streets of Lagos all the way to ill equipped and badly maintained MMA in Ikeja? Does it make sense to you? What are we gonna do when Eko Atlantic in the same vicinity arrives? Are we gonna get caught with our pants down and start saying we should have planed ahead. And should a fast developing state like Lagos be tied to a useless
and unserviceable crap they don't have any say over and can't even touch in terms of fixes and upgrades?

The LFT is getting it's own sea port and airport. Only a foolish governor rests the future and success of his state on incompetent and irresponsible Nigerian government. MMA belongs to the feds, not the Lagos state government and it's not by force to hang on to any useless and below standard federal property, the state is progressing, not regressing.

MMA as it stands right now is an eyesore with limited capabilities and if the state can not touch any federal property in terms of repairs or upgrade, they have every right to build their to better the lives of the citizens of the state. And why should the state spend money fixing any federal edifice? Are they sharing proceeds from MMA with the state government?

Right now, the state should be making money off air travel, but it's impossible because the state doesn't have it's own air facilities.

Let's not get narrow minded and shortsighted, N43.3 is not gonna prevent the state from building roads, like I said, many roads are under construction.

Denying millions of people a better life and meaningful paycheck because you're trying to save a few bucks is not only foolish, it's cruel and irresponsible.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by jumobi1(m): 1:01am On May 05, 2010
babapupa:

The price tag for the Airport is N43.3 while the almost completed Lekki-Ikoyi bridge will gulp N30 billion. We need to have a clear understanding of what's going on.

I see what you're saying, roads are very important, but they are not the only pressing needs state officials and Lagosians are facing. Lifting millions of Lagosians out of poverty and improving their standard of living is equally important. Though, tons of roads, bridges, highways and freeways are under construction as we speak, the most in thing right now is job creation vial massive  projects like the LFT, eko atlantic, the ten lane Badagry freeway with BRT and light rail access, the Lagos metro rail system, water transportation/jetty construction and many more.

The LFT plus the downstream and auxiliary sector of the LFT alone are set to be the largest employer and tax generator in Lagos state, the money generated from the LFT alone should be more than enough to build not only roads, but more schools, hospitals and clinics.

Thousands of people are gonna be collecting paychecks to house and feed their families, we get technology transfer, we also get skilled technical and managerial Lagosians from the industrial, manufacturing, energy and other activities within the LFT and if I might add, the new airport is very important per the sucessess of the LFT itself.

Abi how do you rationalize and justify hundreds of trucks moving goods/cargo from Lekki trough the streets of Lagos all the way to ill equipped and badly maintained MMA in Ikeja? Does it make sense to you? What are we gonna do when Eko Atlantic in the same vicinity arrives? Are we gonna get caught with our pants down and start saying we should have planed ahead. And should a fast developing state like lagos get tied to a useless
and unserviceable crap they don't have any say and can't even touch in terms of fixes and upgrades?

The LFT is getting it's own sea port and airport. Only a foolish governor rests the future and success of his state on incompetent and irresponsible Nigerian government. MMA belongs to the feds, not the Lagos state government and it's not by force to hang on to any useless and below standard federal property, the state is progressing, not regressing.

MMA as it stands right now is an eyesore with limited capabilities and if the state can not touch any federal property in terms of repairs or upgrade, they have every right to build their to better the lives of the citizens of the state. And why should the state spend money fixing any federal edifice? Are they sharing proceeds from MMA with the state government?

Right now, the state should be making money off air travel, but it's impossible because the state doesn't have it's own air facilities.

Let's not get narrow minded and shortsighted, N43.3 is not gonna prevent the state from building roads, like I said, many roads are under construction.

Denying millions of people a better life and meaningful paycheck because you trying to save a few bucks is not only foolish, it's cruel and irresponsible.

I hear you bro. I see what you are saying.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 1:19am On May 05, 2010
webgenius:

1. There is already an established need and it's called the LFTZ, Eko Atlantic and Lagosians.

2. Lagos is the busiest air corridor in west Africa and the state should be making money off air travel within the state

3. Saying that the state should work things out with the feds sounds very laughable, the fools can't even properly lit the airport, the freeking ACs are out, the terminals have dangling electrical wires all over the place, the terminals are crappy and the runways are glorified air strips. Sorry, they can keep that sorry mess. I'd love to see the proposed airport run them out of business.

4. Show me a successful FTZ without it's own capable and dedicated airport close by.

5. The proposed airport has nothing to do with all the other projects going on within the state, it's a unique project designed to serve a primary need and it's very essential to serve that need.

6. There is no cargo facilities at MMA to serve an entity like the LFTZ and I hope you're not suggesting that the state spend money to upgrade a federal facility. Or are you just saying that, instead of spending that money to build your own, go and spend it to fix other people's airport. You are not making any sense.

7. You don't want the state to spend money on a new airport, but you want them to spend it on what they already have under construction (metro rail) to take care of the same need. It doesn't make sense.

8. How do you stretch yourself thing when you have budgeted projects with enough manpower to handle them and thousands of Lagosians collecting paychecks off the projects and paying taxes?

9. Show me a white elephant project and or an abandoned project in Lagos state.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 4:27am On May 05, 2010
@Babapupa.

You make it sound like inefficiency and poor service is the preserve of the FG alone.

If the BRT is anything to go by, then any airport project might well end up being
beset with the same issues affecting MMA.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 5:48am On May 05, 2010
doyin13:

@Babapupa.

You make it sound like inefficiency and poor service is the preserve of the FG alone.

If the BRT is anything to go by, then any airport project might well end up being
beset with the same issues affecting MMA.

That's exactly what I'm saying, the the FG is a useless and incompetent entity. You are free to prove otherwise if you must. Who do you hold responsible for the sorry mess called Nigeria?

The BRT remains a resounding success and I'm 100% sure you have zero information about the management and maintenance aspects of the proposed airport.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by flobajo: 11:32am On May 05, 2010
@babapupa

I totally agree with you. I have been going through all these posts and I must say building an airport might not seem high on the priority list but it is a key project. Especially when the other social ammenities that are needed by the state are currently being built such as the

Metro Rail System
Roads and Bridges
Clean water Generation

there is a clear need for income generation and the airport provides an avenue for this. Also there is a proposed seaport to be utilized along the EPE axis to further encourage development and foreign investment . These things are quite critical to the development of Lagos, all you have to do is look at Apapa wharf and MMA. A lot of you have compained the money should be spent on other things, but all the other projects you have suggested are actually currently under construction.
In terms of logistics why have an export processing zone with no decent access to the ports or an airport. this makes no sense, Besides the core of Lagos is grossly overpopulated, why not develop outer lagos such as ikorodu, badagry and Epe and create communities in these areas to further reduce congestion in inner Lagos. I do accept that it will be a tall order, but it is better than sitting on the fence and being an armchair critic like most people here.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by olafolarin(m): 2:22pm On May 05, 2010
This issue has been seriously over-flogged, I am not taking brief for "Babapupa" but he has definitely enlightened a few about going-ons in Alausa.
The Lekki Inter'l Airport is very important as an important part of the LFTZ.It will hasten the development of the FTZ and boost economic and demographic activities in the region.It will generate more revenue for the state govt and boost job creation amongst teeming population.MMIA is a disgrace to any nation and definitely a calamity for Nigeria.No country deserve such a shallow and mismanaged airport.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Innoson Boss, Innocent Chukwuma Released On Bail / MTN Nigeria More Valuable Than Nigerian Banks, Insurance Companies Combined / Learn How to Make SOAP; Like a Professional For FREE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.