Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:50 AM

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport (17440 Views)

‘ghosts’ Set Shops Ablaze In Anambra Over High Cost Of Goods (photo) / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) / Abuja Traders Using Cars As Shops Because Of High Cost Of Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by 4Play(m): 12:09am On Apr 29, 2010
Sky Blue:

I simply asked a question, what percentage of the funding is coming from government? The truth is I doubt you know the answer to that question. How much out of the 43.3 billion of the money is government going to pay? It does say the government is still shopping for investors, doesn't it?

I don't know what percentage will come from the Govt. I do know for a fact that PPPs by definition involve public funding and have absolutely no reason to believe that this project will be an exception. If, however, you beg to differ, please tell us the funding details.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:10am On Apr 29, 2010
Otobroto:

Apart from projects like the free trade zone, which other project will give an investor quicker return for investment apart from housing? Please tell me?

Irrelevant point, read the part in bold.

Sky Blue:

Thesame structure? What on earth are you talking about? You know such isn't happening now because? You know for PPP to work there actually has to be private bodies interested in investing their money. . . . . . right?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 12:11am On Apr 29, 2010
Otobroto:

Apart from projects like the free trade zone, which other project will give an investor quicker return for investment apart from housing? Please tell me?

True housing will bring lots of gains, but without being sentimental, i think bringing about means of employment is more important.

If houses are built, how do unemployed people become home owners. Projects like these will create jobs. Imagine Nigeria producing and exporting most of them made in china goods.

With the way the Governor of Lagos is going i think there is hope for everybody. It can never happen in one night, because it took us a while to get to the terrible stage we are in right now.

And everybody knows that it is very easy to destroy. Building i what requires time and skill.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 12:11am On Apr 29, 2010
ziga:

Meaningful infrastructural development in the already congested areas of Lagos will be difficult and will be with lots of casualties.

The restructuring of Oshodi is an example and projects like that will be very difficult. t will be like fetching water with a spoon.

Expanding and developing into unused/virgi.n parts of Lagos and iits environs is the way to go. that way you can get gradual de-congestion of congested areas and eventually  you will create alternatives for some people, so that when you decide to work on the already unplanned areas, it will not be too expensive or too difficult.

Please, lets be objective and not criticize for the sake of it.

Okay fine, you are talking about moving to a virgin land, so as to de-congest Lagos; How big is this virgin land that will decongest Lagos?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 12:13am On Apr 29, 2010
I have issues with the story to be honest. . .

I assumed the funding for the bridge was already in place
considering the construction has reached an advanced stage.

Fashola himself in all the recent press conferences I have heard him
has harped on about the priorities being the light rail network, expansion
of the BRT and completion of the water jetties for rail transport.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:15am On Apr 29, 2010
4 Play:

I don't know what percentage will come from the Govt. I do know for a fact that PPPs by definition involve public funding and have absolutely no reason to believe that this project will be an exception. If, however, you beg to differ, please tell us the funding details.  

The part in bold is irrelevant because I never made claims to holding the contract in my hand or being privvy to its contents, was simply restating the fact that neither did you. There are different types of PPP and not all of them mean government provides part of the actual funding for the project itself. However that arguement is secondary to the point that neither of us know what percentage of the money for the project (if any) is coming from government; right or wrong?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by PapaBrowne(m): 12:15am On Apr 29, 2010
There is something I always talk about: Pro Poor VS Anti- Poverty.
I realised that many of us Nigerians are Pro-poor instead of being Anti- poverty. Being Pro- poor means that you rather feed, clothe and house poor people while being Anti poverty means you would rather take poor people out of poverty.

Fashola is an Anti poverty Governor. His projects might look elitist, but that is the only direction to go if you must create jobs.

The Lekki free trade zone would attract lots of investors and as a consequence create loads of jobs for those poor people in the mainland and as they earn better salaries they would be lifted out of poverty.

To be able to attract investors, you must create a business friendly environment. The Lekki Airport would be the biggest relief for the business class. Lets remember that the business class are the engine of the economy as they are the direct tool through which jobs are created. Without the business class we would have no jobs.

So, my people, rethink your Pro-poor stance and embrace an Anti-poverty mentality!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 12:16am On Apr 29, 2010
ziga:

True housing will bring lots of gains, but without being sentimental, i think bringing about means of employment is more important.

If houses are built, how do unemployed people become home owners. Projects like these will create jobs. Imagine Nigeria producing and exporting most of them made in china goods.

With the way the Governor of Lagos is going i think there is hope for everybody. It can never happen in one night, because it took us a while to get to the terrible stage we are in right now.

And everybody knows that it is very easy to destroy. Building i what requires time and skill.

Very reasonable contribution, eventhough I may advise that, just as one investor is trying to create jobs, another might capitalise on the mad rush and provide homes, and both investors smiling home, while the government becomes the referee.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 12:16am On Apr 29, 2010
Otobroto:

Okay fine, you are talking about moving to a virgin land, so as to de-congest Lagos; How big is this virgin land that will decongest Lagos?

If someone who lives in a face me i face you gets a chance to move into a room and parlor. He will be really happy.

First of all watch the youtube video about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk1bG57flNw

It is wrong to criticize with very little information.

The argument here should not be the need for such a project at all.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 12:18am On Apr 29, 2010
Sky Blue:

Irrelevant point, read the part in bold.

What makes a contribution irrelevant?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:20am On Apr 29, 2010
Otobroto:

What makes a contribution irrelevant?

It was irrelevant to the line of discussion we were originally having. Did I ever say housing was bad business? That was and is completely and utterly irrelevant to what was being discussed. Go back and read it again.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 12:21am On Apr 29, 2010
PapaBrowne:

There is something I always talk about: Pro Poor VS Anti- Poverty.
I realised that many of us Nigerians Pro-poor instead of being Anti- poverty. Being Pro- poor means that you rather feed, clothe and house poor people while being Anti poverty means you would rather take poor people out of poverty.

Fashola is an Anti poverty Governor. His projects might look elitist, but that is the only direction to go if you must create jobs.

The Lekki free trade zone would attract lots of investors and as a consequence create loads of jobs for those poor people in the mainland and as they earn better salaries they would be lifted out of poverty.

To be able to attract investors, you must create a business friendly environment. The Lekki Airport would be the biggest relief for the business class. Lets remember that the business class are the engine of the economy as they are the direct tool through which jobs are created. Without the business class we would have no jobs.

So, my people, rethink your Pro-poor stance and embrace an Anti-poverty mentality!

Well. . .all the man hours lost on lagos roads due to inadequate infrastructure surely would satisfy both the Business and Working class.

Addressing the gridlock is both pro poor and anti poverty abi?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 12:29am On Apr 29, 2010
Sky Blue:

It was irrelevant to the line of discussion we were originally having. Did I ever say housing was bad business? That was and is completely and utterly irrelevant to what was being discussed. Go back and read it again.

Now I get you, but it was too harsh, a comment!.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by PapaBrowne(m): 12:31am On Apr 29, 2010
doyin13:

Well. . .all the man hours lost on lagos roads due to inadequate infrastructure surely would satisfy both the Business and Working class.

Addressing the gridlock is both pro poor and anti poverty abi?
I thought Fashola is doing much already to address the gridlock. Isn't that what the BRT and the light rail are about? I'm not suggesting that Fashola ignores pro poor issues. I just think honestly that seeking to take people out of poverty by creating a job friendly environment is better than trying to maintain people in their poverty situation.

For instance, what can Fashola do about say the slums of Ajegunle. Almost nothing!! Maybe he can build some toilets and and a few primary health centres, nothing more. Slums are an undevelopable area. The only solution eventually would be to bulldoze them. That for now is not possible as the cost implications are gigantic!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by KnowAll(m): 12:31am On Apr 29, 2010
[size=14pt]A State where land is at a premium, to build another huge airport in what is continually and gradually becoming a very scarce commodity is not the best way to optimise land resources. What Lagos should be doing in the Lekki corridor is build upwards and not vertically, if current trend is not put on hold,  Lagos would not have land to build more important infrastructures that have yet to be conceived by good leaders and visonaries of tommorrow.  

They should liase with the FG, so that they can expand MMA,  the land in Lekki currently pencilled for an airport can be used for something else in future. Even if the present goverment does not know what to do with the land in the lekki corridor , subsequent Governos of the state might have a better idea on how to maximise their scarce resources.

What Fashola should do, if he has ran out of ideas as per what the next development leap should be around Lekki is,  he should in the interim build nice huge park for now and whem someone with a better idea who knows what to do with the land takes over the mantle of the state, that person can convert the park to whatever he feels the city needs at the time. An airport is a No, No for now. It does not make sense building a brand new airport 20 miles from the old airport when the city is lacking and yearning for more major infrastructures.

Why don't Fashola concentrate on Eko Atalntic city and the light rail road  for now, deliver those and get the accolades that comes with it,  rather than trying to juggle 4 or 5 major projects at once. At least for now, none of the major projects embarked upon by his admnistration has been completed except of course planting flowers, painting side walks and round-abouts and filling pot holes. undecided Forget to mention he completed Tinubu's BRT Bus service, I commend him for that.
[/size]
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:33am On Apr 29, 2010
Otobroto:

Now I get you, but it was too harsh, a comment!.

Apologies if you took offence, I could have put it a different way but ultimately I would have probably said thesame thing. I don't think your arguements were well thought out.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 12:36am On Apr 29, 2010
A lot of people don't know anything about Lagos, but they'll hate and talk about Lagos by any means necessary.

The Airport is needed for so many reasons and I'm glad the state is looking ahead and making the right calculations.

The mains factors driving the need for the new airport are the LEKKI FREE TRADE ZONE, Eko Atlantic, Hyper business travel and Tourism.

Every lousy fed infrastructure in Lagos  is crumbling and every time the state tries to lift a finger, the idiots acts s$ity, just like Lagos badagry express,

Besides, the state has nothing to do with MMA, the old and neglected relic belongs to the federal government, the state  can not paint it, they can not fix the dangling electric wires in the lobby, even the road sef the state offered to fix caused federal anger. They can keep their airport or lift it up and ship it to Abuja or wherever.

The free trade zone alone is enough justification for the new airport, MMA obviously can not handle mass cargo 24/7  

I'm glad that we have proactive leaders in Lagos state.

It makes no sense going back and forth with shallow thinking people on NL, it doesn't matter what the state is doing or not doing, they'll always have some dumb and silly thing to say. They don't know Lagos, they don't give a dam about Lagos and Lagosians.

Obviously, the fact that Lagos state is fast moving ahead while their states, towns and villages still dey stone age they kill them
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 12:37am On Apr 29, 2010
PapaBrowne:

I thought Fashola is doing much already to address the gridlock. Isn't that what the BRT and the light rail are about? I'm not suggestion that Fashola ignore pro poor issues, I just think honestly that seeking to take people out of poverty by creating a job friendly environment is better than trying to maintain people in their poverty situation.

For instance, what can Fashola do about say the slums of Ajegunle. Almost nothing!! Maybe he can build some toilets and and a few primary health centres, nothing more. Slums are an undevelopable area. They only solution eventually would be to bulldoze them. That for now is not possible as the cost implications are gigantic!

Besides Power which affects the whole country, I can't think of a greater emergency
than transport in Lagos.

I will not begrudge them if they decide to indeed declare a state of emergency in the sector

They might be addressing it, but obviously not quickly enuff. Still don't understand why two
years after the launch of the first dedicated BRT line, it hasn't been duplicated in other areas
of lagos. Light rail was meant to be reaching conclusion next year, but we will be lucky if it is
commissioned 2012.

Compared to the rapid pace they started with, the government seems to be going through a
period of inertia which is quite unfortunate, cause the times are indeed perilous. Lagos cannot
continue to operate in such conditions.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 12:40am On Apr 29, 2010
Sky Blue:

Apologies if you took offence, I could have put it a different way but ultimately I would have probably said thesame thing. I don't think your arguements were well thought out.

Apologies accepted. We are just trying to find a common ground to move Lagos forward. No quarrel!.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:43am On Apr 29, 2010
KnowAll:

A State where land is at a premium, to build another huge airport in what is continually and gradually becoming a very scarce commodity is not the best way to optimise land resources. What Lagos should be doing in the Lekki corridor is build upwards and not vertically, if current trend is not put on hold,  Lagos would not have land to build more important infrastructures that have yet to be conceived by good leaders and visonaries of tommorrow.  

They should liase with the FG, so that they can expand MMA,  the land in Lekki currently pencilled for an airport can be used for something else in future. Even if the present goverment does not know what to do with the land in the lekki corridor , subsequent Governos of the state might have a better idea on how to maximise their scarce resources.

What Fashola should do, if he has ran out of ideas as per what the next development leap should be around Lekki is,  he should in the interim build nice huge park for now and whem someone with a better idea who knows what to do with the land takes over the mantle of the state, that person can convert the park to whatever he feels the city needs at the time. An airport is a No, No for now. It does not make sense building a brand new airport 20 miles from the old airport when the city is lacking and yearning for more major infrastructures.

Why don't Fashola concentrate on Eko Atalntic city and the light rail road  for now, deliver those and get the accolades that comes with it,  rather than trying to juggle 4 or 5 major projects at once. At least for now, none of the major projects embarked upon by his admnistration has been completed except of course planting flowers, painting side walks and round-abouts and filling pot holes. undecided Forget to mention he completed Tinubu's BRT Bus service, I commend him for that.

This post is a walking contradiction. Please read through your posts again and consider the parts in bold. You actually do believe a tangible arguement for not building an airport is because someone might have a better idea in future? Why don't we just not build anything at all then? While we are at it we might as well stop investing our precious resources on building more power plants because a more advanced and efficient method of generating power might be discovered in the next 50years, meanwhile, we wait.

You berate the government for not building infrastructures then on the other hand berate them for building too much? Isn't airport infrastructure What else would you refer to as infrastructure, more roads? Have you been blind to the roads been built around lagos? Bridges like the Lekki bridge mentioned in the article? What else would count as infrastructure? Ferries have already been and still being invested in? What else? A rail netwrok which the government last time I checked is working on (getting foreign investors)? Considering the amount of work that needs to be done isn't it quite silly to castigate a government for multi tasking? Gosh, how I wish all state govenors in Nigeria multi tasked with the same zeal and fevour.

Unfortunately increasing the size of your font does not increase the quality of the content.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 12:46am On Apr 29, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]A State where land is at a premium, to build another huge airport in what is continually and gradually becoming a very scarce commodity is not the best way to optimise land resources. What Lagos should be doing in the Lekki corridor is build upwards and not vertically, if current trend is not put on hold,  Lagos would not have land to build more important infrastructures that have yet to be conceived by good leaders and visonaries of tommorrow.  

[/size]

I'm so happy you are the future leader of your village, not Lagos.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by KnowAll(m): 12:47am On Apr 29, 2010
@Babapupa

[size=14pt]If the FG hands over all FG Airport to State Goverments I am sure building an Airport in Lekki would not be a priority, or even be on the drawing board for years to come. The Problem we have in Nigeria is the FG has somethings they should just sell off to private people or states. How can a FG be running secondary schools, Airports, and Universities. It does not make sense.  undecided[/size]
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:48am On Apr 29, 2010
babapupa:

A lot of people don't know anything about Lagos, but they'll hate and talk about Lagos by any means necessary.

The Airport is needed for so many reasons and I'm glad the state is looking ahead and making the right calculations.

The mains factors driving the need for the new airport are the LEKKI FREE TRADE ZONE, Eko Atlantic, Hyper business travel and Tourism.

Every lousy fed infrastructure in Lagos  is crumbling and every time the state tries to lift a finger, the idiots acts s$ity, just like Lagos badagry express,

Besides, the state has nothing to do with MMA, the old and neglected relic belongs to the federal government, the state  can not paint it, they can not fix the dangling electric wires in the lobby, even the road sef the state offered to fix caused federal anger. They can keep their airport or lift it up and ship it to Abuja or wherever.

The free trade zone alone is enough justification for the new airport, MMA obviously can not handle mass cargo 24/7  

I'm glad that we have proactive leaders in Lagos state.

It makes no sense going back and forth with shallow thinking people on NL, it doesn't matter what the state is doing or not doing, they'll always have some dumb and silly thing to say. They don't know Lagos, they don't give a dam about Lagos and Lagosians.

Obviously, the fact that Lagos state is fast moving ahead while their states, towns and villages still dey stone age they kill them

That line of reasoning which keeps rearing its head in your posts never ceases to amaze me, its quite unfortunate. Apparently anybody that does not praise Lagos couldn't possibly live in Lagos and definately lives in squalor in some village. How mature.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 29, 2010
babapupa:

rotfl
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 12:50am On Apr 29, 2010
babapupa:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 12:51am On Apr 29, 2010
KnowAll:

@Babapupa

[size=14pt]If the FG hands over all FG Airport to State Goverments I am sure building an Airport in Lekki would not be a priority, or even be on the drawing board for years to come. The Problem we have in Nigeria is the FG has somethings they should just sell off to private people or states. How can a FG be running secondary schools, Airports, and Universities. It does not make sense.  undecided[/size]

I really dont want to bump into your contribution, but in this part of the world, it is rather unfortunate, that some things might still be left with the Federal government, for affordability sake. It does not mean that they are better manage by them, but becos of the need for subsidy. I know many will kick against this, but it is true.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by KnowAll(m): 12:55am On Apr 29, 2010
This post is a walking contradiction. Please read through your posts again and consider the parts in bold. You actually do believe a tangible arguement for not building an airport is because someone might have a better idea in future? Why don't we just not build anything at all then? While we are at it we might as well stop investing our precious resources on building more power plants because a more advanced and efficient method of generating power might be discovered in the next 50years, meanwhile, we wait.

You berate the government for not building infrastructures then on the other hand berate them for building too much? Isn't airport infrastructure What else would you refer to as infrastructure, more roads? Have you been blind to the roads been built around lagos? Bridges like the Lekki bridge mentioned in the article? What else would count as infrastructure? Ferries have already been and still being invested in? What else? A rail netwrok which the government last time I checked is working on (getting foreign investors)? Considering the amount of work that needs to be done isn't it quite silly to castigate a government for multi tasking? Gosh, how I wish all state govenors in Nigeria multi tasked with the same zeal and fevour.

Unfortunately increasing the size of your font does not increase the quality of the content.

[size=14pt]There is noting contradictory about my post, I was not against building bridges or roads what I am against is building an airport, an extremely elitist project which is un-warranted. Only 11% of Lagosians has ever use an airport b4, so who is Fashola building a second airport for, the 5%  of the 11% who lives on the island.[/size]
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 1:01am On Apr 29, 2010
KnowAll:

There is noting contradictory about my post, I was not against building bridges or roads what I am against is building an airport, an extremely elitist project which is un-warranted. Only 11% of Lagosians has ever use an airport b4, so who is Fashola building a second airport for, the 5%  of the 11% who lives on the island.

So what about the possibility of opening the state and by extension the country to the world or the idea of making it a bigger, more modern and more efficient travel and business hub in west Africa (which I believe is the vision)? Who would benefit from such? Only the elites? When it creates jobs who would benefit from such? Only the elites? When it provides more capacity for businesses to expand and grow who benefits from that? Only the elite? Is growth to you all about giving food handouts? I would have to apologise for my lack of patience with your posts as I am beginning to find them a tad irritating (my fault), I would not indulge you any further. Have a nice day.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by babapupa: 1:25am On Apr 29, 2010
Sky Blue:

So what about the possibility of opening the state and by extension the country to the world or the idea of making it a bigger, more modern and more efficient travel and business hub in west Africa (which I believe is the vision)? Who would benefit from such? Only the elites? When it creates jobs who would benefit from such? Only the elites? When it provides more capacity for businesses to expand and grow who benefits from that? Only the elite? Is growth to you all about giving food handouts? I would have to apologise for my lack of patience with your posts as I am beginning to find them a tad irritating (my fault), I would not indulge you any further. Have a nice day.

Sorry for not warning you. I know his/her screen name is Know All, but "Knows Nothing" sounds more applicable.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by adconline(m): 1:25am On Apr 29, 2010
All those speaking against the airport are doing so based on a very illiterate understanding on the concept of PPPs.
This project is a public private partnership. In most cases, the money used for the project would be sourced form the private sector.
The concessionaire would have to make returns on his investment for crying out loud!

Mr Teacher Sir,
What would be public involvement in this project? Why is it a partnership if the public is not going to cough up some dough? Are you saying that this is 100% private sector project? Are you going to include Land, govt largesse and concessions that will follow? Why cant PPP build house or power stations? Don’t you think that capital for housing is less, but with higher returns than building an airport? All PPP can build roads and charge toll fees.
The point is that the elite want to build a gigantic airport to congratulate themselves that we have arrived, so that we can now dine and wine with the Queen, but fact still remains that most Lagosians do not have basic amenities of life. Do know how much he would make if he built roads and installed toll ways, provided water and waste management since most people use these on daily basis? In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, where does airport fit in?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by mamagee3(f): 1:32am On Apr 29, 2010
It takes a dumb fellow like Fashola to save money for an Airport. . .

And, we wonder why there are so many Plane Crash in Nigeria. . .

Here is the answer: Men who think they are wealthy enough to own a whole nation run to buy an Airport and run it on their own. . .
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Oboma1(m): 1:34am On Apr 29, 2010
Many will think I am crazy here, but the airport issue is just a mere ego boosting venture to the state. It is all about beaf between the state and Federal government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

First Bank Wins Best Mobile Banking App And Fastest Growing Retail Bank Awards / Please How Lucrative Is Coconut Oil Business? / Nigerian Mutual Funds Hit N1.26 Trillion In 5 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.