Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport (17241 Views)

‘ghosts’ Set Shops Ablaze In Anambra Over High Cost Of Goods (photo) / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) / Abuja Traders Using Cars As Shops Because Of High Cost Of Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 10:11pm On Apr 28, 2010
Monitor this thread very well. Most of those in support of a new airport, are those outside this country. A typical Lagosian, knows that, a new airport is a misplacement of priority. How I wished that INEC aptitude test, was to hold in Lagos, then Fashola will know whether Lagosians indeed, need a new airport or infrastructure that will make room for job creation and structures that will make lives more meaningful? This man is losing touch fast, and soon, EFCC may expose him, if he continues this way.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by olafolarin(m): 10:17pm On Apr 28, 2010
People need to read the news first before making comments, The airport will cost N43B while the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge which is almost finished will cost another N30B,

The Bridge is neccesary to link both Ikoyi and Lekki without going through the other congested roads.
The airport however sounds controversial but it is needed to speed infrastuctural,economic and industrial development of the axis.MMIA is already overstretched and lacks the xteristics of a national gateway.
Lekki Inter'l Airport will reduce the burden of MMIA and the location of the airport will see more commercial and economic activities,
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 10:32pm On Apr 28, 2010
olafolarin:

People need to read the news first before making comments, The airport will cost N43B while the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge which is almost finished will cost another N30B,

The Bridge is neccesary to link both Ikoyi and Lekki without going through the other congested roads.
The airport however sounds controversial but it is needed to speed infrastuctural,economic and industrial development of the axis.MMIA is already overstretched and lacks the xteristics of a national gateway.
Lekki Inter'l Airport will reduce the burden of MMIA and the location of the airport will see more commercial and economic activities,

The main aim of that airport is for the elite. Shekinah!.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by PapaBrowne(m): 10:39pm On Apr 28, 2010
All those speaking against the airport are doing so based on a very illiterate understanding on the concept of PPPs.
This project is a public private partnership. In most cases, the money used for the project would be sourced form the private sector.
The concessionaire would have to make returns on his investment for crying out loud!

Now let me ask you illiterates, is it possible for a private company to make its money back by building hospitals for poor people?? Or by repairing state schools?? Or by building homes for slum dwellers My friends, the private sector would invest only where they would make sizey returns on their investments.

The beautiful thing about PPPs is that since the private sector is there to fund huge infrastructure projects that have potential for good ROIs, the Government can now use it's scarce resources to fund non-profitable areas like hospitals for the poor, low cost housing, state school infrastructure and the likes.

Please Nairalanders educate yourselves, even if it is just a little!!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by xterra2(m): 10:59pm On Apr 28, 2010
PapaBrowne:

All those speaking against the airport are doing so based on a very illiterate understanding on the concept of PPPs.
This project is a public private partnership. In most cases, the money used for the project would be sourced form the private sector.
The concessionaire would have to make returns on his investment for crying out loud!

Now let me ask you illiterates, is it possible for a private company to make its money back by building hospitals for poor people?? Or by repairing state schools?? Or by building homes for slum dwellers My friends, the private sector would invest only where they would make sizey returns on their investments.

The beautiful thing about PPPs is that since the private sector is there to fund huge infrastructure projects that have potential for good ROIs, the Government can now use it's scarce resources to fund non-profitable areas like hospitals for the poor, low cost housing, state school infrastructure and the likes.

Please Nairalanders educate yourselves, even if it is just a little!!

too many bunch of grapes in NL talkin shit
Abeg thnx for this
Tell dem well well

TO critics: Una don hear?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by OvieE: 11:03pm On Apr 28, 2010
Lagos doesn't need another airport for now. Almost entire Nigeria population uses Lagos airport and yet there is still no traffic so what is the used of another airport. Common amenities for ordinary citizens you cannot provide yet want to build airport. Useless leader
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:10pm On Apr 28, 2010
OvieE:

Lagos doesn't not need another airport for now. Almost entire Nigeria population uses Lagos airport and yet their is still no traffic so what is the used of another airport. Common amenities for ordinary citizens you cannot provide yet want to build airport. Useless leader

You know this how and because? Or is this just joining the crowd of self appointed experts? Have you got any data to back up such postulations?
If increased capacity via another airport would prove economically beneficial then I am all for it. What is amusing is people not being able to actually argue beyond conjectures and speculation.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by olafolarin(m): 11:14pm On Apr 28, 2010
OvieE:

Lagos doesn't not need another airport for now. Almost entire Nigeria population uses Lagos airport and yet their is still no traffic so what is the used of another airport. Common amenities for ordinary citizens you cannot provide yet want to build airport. Useless leader

shocked shocked shocked
I wish you have a leader in Fashola's class as your state Governor.
Private investors will only select projects they are sure of quick returns on their investments.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 11:16pm On Apr 28, 2010
Sky Blue:

You know this how and because? Or is this just joining the crowd of self appointed experts? Have you got any data to back up such postulations?
If increased capacity via another airport would prove economically beneficial then I am all for it. What is amusing is people not being able to actually argue beyond conjectures and speculation.

The only reason I can think of for the building of a new airport in Lekki is
poor access to MMA.

If so, then a better case can be made for improving transport links to
MMA, rail and road, that will benefit the wider populace as well as the
flying public.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:21pm On Apr 28, 2010
doyin13:

The only reason I can think of for the building of a new airport in Lekki is
poor access to MMA.

If so, then a better case can be made for improving transport links to
MMA, rail and road, that will benefit the wider populace as well as the
flying public.

Considering ither projects like Eko Atlantic, the industrial project in Lekki, etc, do you think it is unwise to plan for the future? Do we actually know whether the market is there for an increased capacity? Pardon me, but I thought those are the things one would argue about when discussing this issue, not typing a lot and saying very little (if at all) to touch on the heart of the matter. Is there an economic arguement for the building of a second airport?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 11:23pm On Apr 28, 2010
@ Ovie; U should have been very factual and more constructive in your stand. That is why you are being attacked. Besides, never jump into any discussion next time, I must advice. Read through a thread, and make up your mind, before you choose a stand!.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by 4Play(m): 11:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
What you get in Nigeria is that Govt revenue is spent on projects that affects a tiny part of the population and not on projects that will have the widest impact.

If there is a business case for a Lekki airport, the Govt can provide incentives and let the private sector get on with it. The Govt should concentrate instead on providing water, education and housing for Lagos' teeming population.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:28pm On Apr 28, 2010
Otobroto:

Monitor this thread very well. Most of those in support of a new airport, are those outside this country. A typical Lagosian, knows that, a new airport is a misplacement of priority. How I wished that INEC aptitude test, was to hold in Lagos, then Fashola will know whether Lagosians indeed, need a new airport or infrastructure that will make room for job creation and structures that will make lives more meaningful? This man is losing touch fast, and soon, EFCC may expose him, if he continues this way.

Doesn't airport count as infrastructure? If the airport creates an increase in economic activity and increases the capacity of lagos to cope with more flights from around the world, hence opening it up to a mroe global society, I guess the jobs that would create wouldn't count as development in your estimation, right? Gosh. No offence intended but if you are going to argue at least think about what you are saying a bit more thouroughly. The points I have bolded in your post are pretty much in conflict with each other.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:31pm On Apr 28, 2010
4 Play:

What you get in Nigeria is that Govt revenue is spent on projects that affects a tiny part of the population and not on projects that will have the widest impact.

If there is a business case for a Lekki airport, the Govt can provide incentives and let the private sector get on with it. The Govt should concentrate instead on providing water, education and housing for Lagos' teeming population.

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport
April 28, 2010 15:38 (1 hour ago), 337 views
By Kazeem Ugbodaga

Governor Babatunde Fashola is shopping for N73.3 billion to build the proposed Lagos International Airport and the proposed Lekki-Ikoyi bridge.

The first phase of the airport, to be built in Lekki will cost N43.3 billion while the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge will gulp N30 billion. The two projects, P.M.NEWS gathered, will be undertaken under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) initiative of the Lagos State Government.

The governor is already scouting for investors for the projects, which are meant to make Lagos world class attraction and a haven for tourism.

Director-General, Lagos State PPP Office, Mr. Ayo Gbeleyi disclosed that the airport would be provided with modern architectural design and ”is expected to render services to approximately five million passengers per annum.”

On the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge, the PPP boss said the bridge will link Lekki Phase One to Ikoyi across the lagoon and will decongest traffic on the Lekki-Epe Expressway.

http://thepmnews.com/2010/04/28/fashola-shops-for-n733b-for-airport

Unless anyone has more information than this, isn't it a tad careless to make such sweeping remarks when we don't even know what portion of the money is coming from the government?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by KnowAll(m): 11:35pm On Apr 28, 2010
[size=14pt]The more you look, the less u see, Voodoo Economics, where are the so called private investment coming from in Lagos, a city with 89% poverty levels. My bet would be the number one super- contrator of Lagos State and Tinunbu are probably the so called private investors.  undecided[/size]
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by 4Play(m): 11:39pm On Apr 28, 2010
@SkyBlue

I haven't claimed that all the project's funding is sourced from the Govt but it seems clear that the Govt will pony up a substantial amount of the capital in partnership with the private sector. If this is the case, this a typical example of Govt revenue being used in a way that is inconsistent with achieving maximum impact for the populace.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
KnowAll:

The more you look, the less u see, Voodoo Economics, where are the so called private investment coming from in Lagos, a city with 89% poverty levels. My bet would be the number one super- contrator of Lagos State and Tinunbu are probably the so called private investors.  undecided

Did Tinubu also fund the BRT schemes, buy the buses as well? Is Tinubu also funding the Eko Atlantic Project? Let us ignore the fact that their exists these things called Businesses (Banks, companies, etc) not just in Lagos but around the country as well, could you at least pretend to have heard of this thing called foreign investments? Gosh. The quality of arguements you see nowadays. Have debates of substance become such a rarity on this forum? LOOOL.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:42pm On Apr 28, 2010
4 Play:

@SkyBlue

I haven't claimed that all the project's funding is sourced from the Govt but it seems clear that the Govt will pony up a substantial amount of the capital in partnership with the private sector. If this is the case, this a typical example of Govt revenue being used in a way that is inconsistent with achieving maximum impact for the populace.

It seems clear how? Because it isn't clear to me. What percentage of the funding for Eko Atlantic came from the state? Who paid for the buses used in the BRT scheme?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 11:43pm On Apr 28, 2010
Sky Blue:

Did Tinubu also fund the BRT schemes, buy the buses as well? Is Tinubu also funding the Eko Atlantic Project? Let us ignore the fact that their exists these things called Businesses (Banks, companies, etc) not just in Lagos but around the country as well, could you at least pretend to have heard of this thing called foreign investments? Gosh. The quality of arguements you see nowadays. LOOOL.

Using the BRT as an example. . . . .the government was responsible for all the ''fixed infrastructure'' e.g depot, bus shelters, lane demarcations.
So it is more than likely the Government will indeed pony up some money in any PPP arrangement.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 11:45pm On Apr 28, 2010
Still on my stand, the proposed new Lagos airport project would have been a welcomed development if many issues raised in the state are attended too. As I earlier said, if you go to Alimosho LGA, which is the biggest in Nigeria (in terms of population), you will be surprised at what you will see. Alimosho LGA, as recognised by Nigerian constitution extends towards Alagbado (where AIT is). Alagbado is in Ogun state, but extend close to that area. Now, if you must go by the events in Lagos, then you will know that, some of Fashola's policies are elitist in nature. This is concurred by his comment sometimes ago, that Lagos is not for everybody and this can be interpreted as; if you cannot cope, please go back to your village. The main land section of Lagos, is characterised by decay, and long neglect. I dont expect him to change the face of Lagos overnight, but those policies, that will touch the majority of those, that he taxes on daily, and monthly basis, should be priority. What do they need in the mainland, good motorable roads (and not just powering street lights with generators), pipe borne water, electricity (that will propel development), good quality education (and not just paying WAEC and NECO fees), creating atmosphere that will bring in investors, which on the other hand, create employment for these graduates, and skilled others.

These airport, will just benefit but a few. what is the population of those in the Island? Why is Fashola trying to rival the FG? I am not saying, in the long run, this project will not benefit Lagos, but do we need it now? Just as it was earlier stated, if INEC aptitude test, was to be held in Lagos, then Fashola would have seen the need to do more in other aspect, and leave this airport stuff for now. The less the jobs, the more the crime, and nothing one can do to that.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:45pm On Apr 28, 2010
doyin13:

Using the BRT as an example. . . . .the government was responsible for all the ''fixed infrastructure'' e.g depot, bus shelters, lane demarcations.
So it is more than likely the Government will indeed pony up some money in any PPP arrangement.

Who paid for the buses used in the BRT scheme? You want to use BRT as an example but you want to ignore a mega project like Eko Atlantic? What about the major project going on in Lekki? What about the planned railway network? All these are going to be ignored? What percentage of the capital did the government cover/ is the government covering for these projects?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 11:48pm On Apr 28, 2010
Sky Blue:

Who paid for the buses used in the BRT scheme? You want to use BRT as an example but you want to ignore a mega project like Eko Atlantic? What about the major project going on in Lekki? What about the planned railway network? All these are going to be ignored? What percentage of the capital did the government cover/ is the government covering for these projects?

I struggle to recollect anywhere where EKO atlantic has been referred to as a Public Private partnership.
Where funding comes strictly from Private sources, surely it ceases to be a PPP arrangement.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:48pm On Apr 28, 2010
Otobroto:

Still on my stand, the proposed new Lagos airport project would have been a welcomed development if many issues raised in the state are attended too. As I earlier said, if you go to Alimosho LGA, which is the biggest in Nigeria (in terms of population), you will be surprised at what you will see. Alimosho LGA, as recognised by Nigerian constitution extends towards Alagbado (where AIT is). Alagbado is in Ogun state, but extend close to that area. Now, if you must go by the events in Lagos, then you will know that, some of Fashola's policies are elitist in nature. This is concurred by his comment sometimes ago, that Lagos is not for everybody and this can be interpreted as; if you cannot cope, please go back to your village. The main land section of Lagos, is characterised by decay, and long neglect. I dont expect him to change the face of Lagos overnight, but those policies, that will touch the majority of those, that he taxes on daily, and monthly basis, should be priority. What do they need in the mainland, good motorable roads (and not just powering street lights with generators), pipe borne water, electricity (that will propel development), good quality education (and not just paying WAEC and NECO fees), creating atmosphere that will bring in investors, which on the other hand, create employment for these graduates, and skilled others.

These airport, will just benefit but a few. what is the population of those in the Island? Why is Fashola trying to rival the FG? I am not saying, in the long run, this project will not benefit Lagos, but do we need it now? Just as it was earlier stated, if INEC aptitude test, was to be held in Lagos, then Fashola would have seen the need to do more in other aspect, and leave this airport stuff for now. The less the jobs, the more the crime, and nothing one can do to that.

You are yet to answer a simple question (and I bet its because you have absolutely no clue what the answer is). What percentage of the money is coming from Government? Do you see how that question potentially throws out that essay you typed above?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 11:49pm On Apr 28, 2010
Watch this video about the lekki free trade zone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk1bG57flNw

Look at the size of the project and the stage of development reached before you make any comments about an airport in Lekki.

With the so called FG vs State gov politics played in Nigeria, do you think MMIA will be of any use to a project this size.

And BTW, who will this project create jobs for

If the governor decides to wait until there is no poverty in Lagos before embarking on any major project, we will wait for a long time (the fact that some things are not perfect is not enough excuse not to do other things in the meantime). Thousands of people in search of jobs are pouring into Lagos daily.

A lot of people just make comments with their eyes closed.

The matter at hand should be transparency and quick execution of these projects, and not the need for it because right now Lagos needs everything it can get. There should be priorities, but lots of developments can go on in parallel without any disruption.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 11:53pm On Apr 28, 2010
Sky Blue:

You are yet to answer a simple question (and I bet its because you have absolutely no clue what the answer is). What percentage of the money is coming from Government? Do you see how that question potentially throws out that essay you typed above?

Nothing is difficult there to answer. Government has the yam and the knife, so they know what to do. They might not contribute a dim in the project, but they can still use the same structure to develop other aspect of the economy, without contributing a dime. Take for example, they can still use the same structure to develop a proper housing policy for Lagos, without contributing a dime, and rescue Lagosians from living in slums, as disgraced by BBC documentary.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 11:56pm On Apr 28, 2010
Otobroto:

Nothing is difficult there to answer. Government has the yam and the knife, so they know what to do. They might not contribute a dim in the project, but they can still use the same structure to develop other aspect of the economy, without contributing a dime. Take for example, they can still use the same structure to develop a proper housing policy for Lagos, without contributing a dime, and rescue Lagosians from living in slums, as disgraced by BBC documentary.

Thesame structure? What on earth are you talking about? You know such isn't happening now because? You know for PPP to work there actually has to be private bodies interested in investing their money. . . . . . right?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 11:57pm On Apr 28, 2010
Otobroto:

Meaningful infrastructural development in the already congested areas of Lagos will be difficult and will be with lots of casualties.

The restructuring of Oshodi is an example and projects like that will be very difficult. t will be like fetching water with a spoon.

Expanding and developing into unused/virgi.n parts of Lagos and iits environs is the way to go. that way you can get gradual de-congestion of congested areas and eventually  you will create alternatives for some people, so that when you decide to work on the already unplanned areas, it will not be too expensive or too difficult.

Please, lets be objective and not criticize for the sake of it.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by 4Play(m): 11:59pm On Apr 28, 2010
Sky Blue:

What percentage is coming from the private sector? If a project is a public-private partnership, by definition, it is funded by both the public and the private sector. If you disagree, please tell us the source of the finance.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:01am On Apr 29, 2010
doyin13:

I struggle to recollect anywhere where EKO atlantic has been referred to as a Public Private partnership.
Where funding comes strictly from Private sources, surely it ceases to be a PPP arrangement.

one link out of many. PPP does not necessarily mean government has to bring funds to the table, government could help in many other ways. I highly doubt a company could buy a piece of the thames tomorrow and build a miniature island on it because they feel like. According to my understanding PPP is about the partnership.

One link out of many you could read (the result of a basic search smiley )
http://thepmnews.com/2008/04/28/the-eko-atlantic-city-dream
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ikeyman00(m): 12:02am On Apr 29, 2010
@@@@
Yoruba crew will back anything!!

its quite interesting i must say

even a yoruba killers will still be look after!! im watching yall;lets see how long it will stretch

ppp this ppp that
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 12:04am On Apr 29, 2010
4 Play:

What percentage is coming from the private sector? If a project is a public-private partnership, by definition, it is funded by both the public and the private sector. If you disagree, please tell us the source of the finance.

Wrong. PPP does not necessarily mean it is funded by both public and private sector.

I simply asked a question, what percentage of the funding is coming from government? The truth is I doubt you know the answer to that question. How much out of the 43.3 billion of the money is government going to pay? It does say the government is still shopping for investors, doesn't it? PPP doesn't necessarily mean government even contributes funds. There are more ways to contributing towards a project than money, right or wrong?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Otobroto(f): 12:06am On Apr 29, 2010
Sky Blue:

Thesame structure? What on earth are you talking about? You know such isn't happening now because? You know for PPP to work there actually has to be private bodies interested in investing their money. . . . . . right?

Apart from projects like the free trade zone, which other project will give an investor quicker return for investment apart from housing? Please tell me?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Innoson Boss, Innocent Chukwuma Released On Bail / MTN Nigeria More Valuable Than Nigerian Banks, Insurance Companies Combined / Police Return N9.9million To Owner After It Was Mistakenly Transferred To POS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.