Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,363 members, 7,864,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 01:20 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (61311 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by kaypumpin2(m): 10:50pm On Aug 15, 2010
debosky:

With Koscielny suspended for the next game, I don't know if JD or Song would be fit, so we might be pushing Nordveit into his own EPL debut. undecided
Isn't Spastic the Balkan saviour coming again? grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 10:52pm On Aug 15, 2010
kay_pumpin:

Isn't Spastic the Balkan saviour coming again? grin

Ask Dudu. grin grin

kay_pumpin:

And if you call what Almunia did "super saves",Hart must be a celestial being then.

Let's give credit where due - Almunia made a number of good saves, he only erred by not getting more on the shot by Ngog for the goal and flapping at one corner. Looking at what was thrown at him, he did OK, especially remembering that it was lack of focus/attention by Wilshere that got Ngog that chance in the first instance.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Jencejyde(m): 12:15am On Aug 16, 2010
Again Aw and his stubbornness, we seriously need an extra defender and goalkeeper, Hope fully schwartzer will come through. Honestly as much as support Arsenal. This is becoming frustrating already, somebody tell me why Aw wont sell Diaby or even send him on loan?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by vivaladiva(f): 12:34am On Aug 16, 2010
^diaby was quite impressive despite the fact his not match fit.i know 4 sure swazzer's deal will come thru this week,bout the CB spot i have no idea on whom AW will sign according to him the german/french league is financially balanced so is difficult signing players,i hope am not wrong.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Jencejyde(m): 12:45am On Aug 16, 2010
vivaladiva:

^diaby was quite impressive despite the fact his not match fit.i know 4 sure swazzer's deal will come thru this week,bout the CB spot i have no idea on whom AW will sign according to him the german/french league is financially balanced so is difficult signing players,i hope am not wrong.
For me diaby has never been top quality and he fails to impress when it matters most, Reason why evra had to fight with RD was over this issue of playing diaby when he felt there where other players of better quality to fit into that role. I think he his yet to mature given the number of seasons he has played under AW, Something a coach like Mourhinho would never stand and would have hurriedly offloaded him

Good to know that swazzer may be on his way to the emirates but seriously if we want to challenge for titles then we need to urgently get an experinced CB and if possible Dm as well
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Myself2(m): 7:23am On Aug 16, 2010
HNIC:

Hopefully, the CB and the Goalie should arrive before the next game.

With Arsene,nothing is certain.Is he gonna buy a keeper and make him number 2?or didn't he say whoever kept against Liverpool would be our number 1 this season?Almunia number 1 shocked shocked shocked
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 12:56pm On Aug 16, 2010
kay_pumpin:

And if you call what Almunia did "super saves",Hart must be a celestial being then.
@Kay
Must have watched Al's saves more than a dozen times.
Go and watch the save from Johnson and Stevie G again.
They were world class, comparable to Hart's.
If they were made by Cech or VDS, those silly-ass commentators won't stop dishing out praises
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 1:00pm On Aug 16, 2010
Myself2:

With Arsene,nothing is certain.Is he gonna buy a keeper and make him number 2?or didn't he say whoever kept against Liverpool would be our number 1 this season?Almunia number 1 shocked shocked shocked
@Myself2
All AW said was that whoever kept against 'pool is his number 1(for now)
and he said that because of the multitude of questions coming from journos as regards the Goalie situation.
The Press has made everyone believe that Arsenal just need to sign a Goalie(even Gordon Banks) and we'll win the league grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 1:19pm On Aug 16, 2010
I think some of us Gooners have to calm down
I have said earlier that even if we sign Casilias and Puyol, there is no guarantee that we may win anything.
All the journalist/pundit in Britain are now saying we will only win the league if we sign a goalie and a Centre back
I guess,
so that when we win, they will say:
'Yeah, I told you so in August'
Trying to be smart by not saying 'We won't win anything'
Check out Andy Gray screaming after Ngog scored, saying' 'A top Premier league goalie shouldn't be conceding such'
Now what was said after Pepe Reina's goof
'It's not usual of him making that kinda mistake'.
I hear him lipsrsealed
I predicted a 1-1 draw earlier.
Game is done and dusted
It's just the 1st game of the season.
37 more to play!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 3:29pm On Aug 16, 2010
@HNIC

I have said it before and will say it again, the basic ingredients for this team are already in, we only need to make up the numbers in defence. There are only 2 reasons why I can think of Arsene buying Schwarzer, he has massive experience, knows the PL well and has aerial command of his box an area most of our GKs have been found wanting, also there is talk of him ultimately becoming a GK coach with us. I pointed out that Almunia did take us to within 4 points of winning the PL in 2007/08 but people like Debo are quick to gloss over that as if the chap is completely clueless. Take away this mantra of not winning anything in 5 years and what yu've got is a squad that is more competitive than last seasons.

Swap Almunia for Reina yesterday and the "Anti-arsenal" arsenal fans would have gone into overdrive this morning.

If Arsene gets that extra CB, I will go and make that bet and would gladly bet with anyone on this thread that we will win the PL this season.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 3:40pm On Aug 16, 2010
What is this stuff about not playing Wilshere? he might have had a so so game but no way can anyone say he was disappointing? and if you don't throw him in now, when exactly do you throw him in?
I tire for arsenal fans self, you don't want him to go out on loan and you don't want Arsene to play him. Wetin coach suppose do self? undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 4:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
duduspace:

@HNIC

I have said it before and will say it again, the basic ingredients for this team are already in, we only need to make up the numbers in defence. There are only 2 reasons why I can think of Arsene buying Schwarzer, he has massive experience, knows the PL well and has aerial command of his box an area most of our GKs have been found wanting, also there is talk of him ultimately becoming a GK coach with us. I pointed out that Almunia did take us to within 4 points of winning the PL in 2007/08 but people like Debo are quick to gloss over that as if the chap is completely clueless. Take away this mantra of not winning anything in 5 years and what yu've got is a squad that is more competitive than last seasons.

Dudu don't get me riled up. . . .so because he had one good season nearly 3 years ago we should continue to suffer persistent incompetence till today? You are so blinkered that you can't see the wood for trees.

I have never said he's completely clueless, but his flaws are clear and repeated with alarming regularity. He has little awareness of his goalposts, he often ducks under shots coming at him with power. We all know he is not good enough quality to be our number one so why should I not demand for a new goalie?

You can carry your defence of Wenger and his foolish decisions as long as you want, but don't insult my intelligence while at it.

Swap Almunia for Reina yesterday and the "Anti-arsenal" arsenal fans would have gone into overdrive this morning.

Reina's error is a 'one-off', we all know his quality from his day to day performances. Vermaelen erred last season and got sent off, no-one got on his back because he is PROVEN quality. Some fickle fans might be swayed by day to day performances, but perceptive observers can distinguish between a one off error and a consistent display of incompetence.

Almunia is an OK second choice goalie, but to rely on him constantly after two seasons (08/09 and 09/10) of below par performances? That is poor management.

If Arsene gets that extra CB, I will go and make that bet and would gladly bet with anyone on this thread that we will win the PL this season.
When you consider our dodgy defending (which won't magically change with a new CB) we need a GK to mop up the inevitable errors. No GK, no title and you can take that to the bank.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2010
duduspace:

What is this stuff about not playing Wilshere? he might have had a so so game but no way can anyone say he was disappointing? and if you don't throw him in now, when exactly do you throw him in?
I tire for arsenal fans self, you don't want him to go out on loan and you don't want Arsene to play him. Wetin coach suppose do self? undecided

Throw him in against Liverpool?? As his full EPL debut at Anfield?? Dudu go drink some coffee or something, you still have a hangover if you think it's a good idea throwing him at the deep end. Why not against Blackpool at home when we will clearly be dominant?

A coach has to at intelligently and I don't think AW did Wilshere the best by starting him against Liverpool.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 5:19pm On Aug 16, 2010
Vermaelen and Koscielny are enuff when suspended they can draft Theo to CD.

Almunia is more than enuff, Stick with him

but Duduspace, I want the league by May, Anything short is FAILURE, No excuse would suffice Not even injury to 23 players cos you have the transfer window to plan for such exigencies.

Would you agree that Arsenal FC is a useless club and that Wenger is clueless if you end up without the league this season?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 6:40pm On Aug 16, 2010
dayokanu:

Vermaelen and Koscielny are enuff when suspended they can draft Theo to CD.
Almunia is more than enuff, Stick with him
but Duduspace, I want the league by May, Anything short is FAILURE, No excuse would suffice Not even injury to 23 players cos you have the transfer window to plan for such exigencies.
Would you agree that Arsenal FC is a useless club and that Wenger is clueless if you end up without the league this season?

Why should I? no one is ever guaranteed of anything. Winning the league would definitely be success but I wouldn't call not winning it failure particularly in a life where one dodgy refree decision can be the difference. I don't live a life of absolutes but if Arsene is able to buy one more CB, I'll go on a limb and make the bet that Arsenal would win the league cos I would consider it a risk worth taking considering the strength of this team.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 6:43pm On Aug 16, 2010
debosky:

Throw him in against Liverpool?? As his full EPL debut at Anfield?? Dudu go drink some coffee or something, you still have a hangover if you think it's a good idea throwing him at the deep end. Why not against Blackpool at home when we will clearly be dominant?
A coach has to at intelligently and I don't think AW did Wilshere the best by starting him against Liverpool.

Why not? if Arsene has belief in his ability I say why not? is that not why he is in the squad for days like this? Cesc supposedly had a chest infection or something but whatever reason it might be is he not a squad member? should he not be ready for anything that might come along? Does he have anything to be ashamed of in his performance yesterday?
You would come and tell me that we should have 2 players good enough for each position so if Wilshere is good enough to be in the squad then he is good enough to play anywhere at anytime be it Anfield or OT.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by A40(m): 7:15pm On Aug 16, 2010
Overskill has never failed to kill the ninja. Mr Duduspace we saw the moment of brilliance from Mr Wilshere our so-called Messiah that gifted Liverpool the opener how you are yet to blame Theo for that gaffe is beyond me like i said week in week out EPL action would expose these so-called future stars

Not much to comment on. Arshavin and Nasri where dreadful thank Goodness we kept Cesc!! In all fairness it was a tough game and the result was ok even though it coulda been better. The defence is still a problem but if Wenger does not care why should i??
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 7:26pm On Aug 16, 2010
duduspace:

Why not? if Arsene has belief in his ability I say why not? is that not why he is in the squad for days like this? Cesc supposedly had a chest infection or something but whatever reason it might be is he not a squad member? should he not be ready for anything that might come along? Does he have anything to be ashamed of in his performance yesterday?
You would come and tell me that we should have 2 players good enough for each position so if Wilshere is good enough to be in the squad then he is good enough to play anywhere at anytime be it Anfield or OT.

You're really taking the piss here. . . . being in the squad to gain experience is NOT the same thing as starting against Liverpool with a depleted midfield. How can you justify such a daft move?

He is in the squad to fill a role, not necessarily start. In the end he was taken off for Rozzi, didn't that prove that he didn't HAVE to start?

It is not a matter of Wilshere being ashamed of his performance - young players make mistakes and that is normal. The issue here is a wrong decision by the gaffer - Wilshere's introduction should be one in relative comfort so he can learn and improve, not one where he could possibly be facing a backlash if we lost the game.

It is the height of naivety to think that all your players are competent to play any game, that is why you have a first 11 and back ups - all the back ups will never be as good as your first choices unless you are Chelski at the height of money madness or Citeh. Evidence shows our back ups are clearly NOT as good as the first 11, as our catastrophic losses at the back end of last season proved.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by follypimpi(m): 7:44pm On Aug 16, 2010
^ Wa de gbayii Debosky.We started creating chances the moment Rozzi with his very quick feet came in.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 8:06pm On Aug 16, 2010
debosky:

You're really taking the piss here. . . . being in the squad to gain experience is NOT the same thing as starting against Liverpool with a depleted midfield. How can you justify such a daft move?

He is in the squad to fill a role, not necessarily start. In the end he was taken off for Rozzi, didn't that prove that he didn't HAVE to start?

It is not a matter of Wilshere being ashamed of his performance - young players make mistakes and that is normal. The issue here is a wrong decision by the gaffer - Wilshere's introduction should be one in relative comfort so he can learn and improve, not one where he could possibly be facing a backlash if we lost the game.

It is the height of naivety to think that all your players are competent to play any game, that is why you have a first 11 and back ups - all the back ups will never be as good as your first choices unless you are Chelski at the height of money madness or Citeh. Evidence shows our back ups are clearly NOT as good as the first 11, as our catastrophic losses at the back end of last season proved.

Is it only young players who make mistakes? I haven't seen anyone coming up anywhere to criticise Wilshere for what happened yesterday, it is all part of the game, he will go home and learn from it, there is no certainty that having a older player would have changed the outcome of yesterday's match. There is no reason why Arsene couldn't play him yesterday. If he is good enough to be in the squad then he is good enough to play when he is so called by his manager, if he is not then there is no point in him being in the squad.

A-40:

Overskill has never failed to kill the ninja. Mr Duduspace we saw the moment of brilliance from Mr Wilshere our so-called Messiah that gifted Liverpool the opener how you are yet to blame Theo for that gaffe is beyond me like i said week in week out EPL action would expose these so-called future stars

Not much to comment on. Arshavin and Nasri where dreadful thank Goodness we kept Cesc!! In all fairness it was a tough game and the result was ok even though it coulda been better. The defence is still a problem but if Wenger does not care why should i??

Are you Theo's PR manager? even when he is shoddy you see nothing wrong in him. He was okay yesterday while Arshavin was pants I had nothing to comment about on his game yesterday cos he wasn't excellent neither was he brilliant, but what Arshavin did yesterday is what you might call a typical Theo performance apart from Arshavin adding his usual laziness to it. If Arshavin continues like this he might be getting the Adebayor treatment very soon, patience is short at the emirates at present.

And I have not called Wilshere a messiah but it is instructive that his manager was confident enough to play him at Anfield yesterday while keeping Theo on the bench, that is a testament to his ability, was Arsene ever confident enough to start Theo at Anfield at Jack's age?

follypimpi:

^ Wa de gbayii Debosky.We started creating chances the moment Rozzi with his very quick feet came in.

Now, this is the Rosicky we know and not the one that sauntered through Pre-season like he couldn't be bothered. Maybe with age, he is pacing himself through the season.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by follypimpi(m): 8:10pm On Aug 16, 2010
debosky:

Look @ Man Utd

Evans--------Rio
Nani ---------Giggs
Gibson-------Scholes
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by A40(m): 8:26pm On Aug 16, 2010
duduspace:

Are you Theo's PR manager? even when he is shoddy you see nothing wrong in him. He was okay yesterday while Arshavin was pants I had nothing to comment about on his game yesterday cos he wasn't excellent neither was he brilliant, but what Arshavin did yesterday is what you might call a typical Theo performance apart from Arshavin adding his usual laziness to it. If Arshavin continues like this he might be getting the Adebayor treatment very soon, patience is short at the emirates at present.

I am not his PR manager but i get irked when you single him out for criticism every damn time even when its clear there are a lot of sub-par players at Arsenal. Mr Diaby had a stinker but as usual Duduspace was conspicuously mute on that. I am sure if it where Theo that gifted Liverpool that opener you would have JF.Killed him on this thread

duduspace:

And I have not called Wilshere a messiah but it is instructive that his manager was confident enough to play him at Anfield yesterday while keeping Theo on the bench, that is a testament to his ability, was Arsene ever confident enough to start Theo at Anfield at Jack's age?
Judging from the last 5 trophyless seasons its hard to say this manager knows what he is doing! He was part and parcel of the shambolic midfield that could not dominate proceedings in the middle luckily Wenger spotted that

follypimpi:

Me i wan know the optimistic Igbo wey Duduspace dey smoke i might consider going back to smoking because of that
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by follypimpi(m): 8:28pm On Aug 16, 2010
duduspace:

Now, this is the Rosicky we know and not the one that sauntered through Pre-season like he couldn't be bothered. Maybe with age, he is pacing himself through the season.

Had AW's gamble of wilshere paid off i would have been very happy but if Pedro can play for barca at a young age,i totally support AW playing wilshere but not in big games i beg.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 9:03pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Dudu. Put your bet on it, we are not winning the league even if we sign a defender n goalkeeper. Not with this team.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by slimshay(m): 10:16pm On Aug 16, 2010
Funny business being a football fan these days.
When all the arsenal pundits are done can ya'll please return our fans!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by DrKitaun(m): 2:13am On Aug 17, 2010
Na wao . . .Just thinking now, how our squad changes so markedly every season.
God dey sha!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dipo2much(m): 6:15am On Aug 17, 2010
havind read some posts from fellow gooners (i dont giv a kobo what anti-arsenals think),i'll like to say these:

1) even if we get a gd CB and goalie, In contrast to what a gooner posted,i dont think a trophy is guaranteed (at this stage in the season) even if we hav an additional CB and keeper. Who could hav foretold that liverpool would have a season as bad as they did at the initial stages of last season? At least they finishd 2nd a not-too-far season and had a better squad than we have at arsenal now. And assuming chelski n manure are 'perfect' manager and team-wise. can both teams win d league? I think if we get a good CB and goalie,we are only makin ourselves better 'contenders' as are chelski and manure.

2) Nasri had a good anfield game. Sincerely,i wonder what else this guy could have done. Admittedly,he isn't as fast as rosiski,but in d absence of fab,his job was to make sure we had good possession in the attack. i think he did that very well. If only someone like arshavin contributed as much as he should have,we could hav taken better advantage of the possession we had at anfield. For me,nasri was one of the better performers on sunday. Even the thuggery of masherano didnt hamper us from good ball possession at anfield.

3) almunia is good but, Honestly,i think almunia is a good goalie. But this is not the kind of club for his type. The first choice goalie for a club of arsenal's status and aspirations shouldnt just be one that is 'good'. he must be 'very good'. He should be rankd wit VDS,cech,reina,freidel n Given. In my opinion,if almunia was playin for everton,he wouldnt have a problem. Arsenal's No.1 should be a potential match winner consistently. If he had somehow prevented Ngog's fine shot, (i think everyone agrees that that shot wasnt unstoppable) and everytin else remained d same at anfield,it means we could hav bagged 3 points at anfield. Reina made mistake,but evryone knows his quality. Almunia just doesnt have such quality.

4) arshavin should sit. In recent arsenal displays,i dont think any first team member as been as lazy as arshavin. Too much of the praises that was heaped on him during his first season still resides in his head. He is becomin unbearable to watch that hardly does anyone expect good come from his side of the field these days. Most may disagree with me,but with the presence of a striker who jumps as well as charmakh,i think Gibbs should be tried upfront. We know Gibbs is very good with those long crosses,sometin beyond the scope of arshavin.Arshavin should be made a sub until  he finds the hunger and zeal he demonstrated last season.

5) Wilshere had a fine debut. With song reportedly not fit enough,i think i understand wenger startin wilshere. And even tho he gave the ball away,he did well overall. I like the aggresion and strength he showd. Playin at anfield must hav improved his confidence and showd how highly wenger believes in him. At least he will be a better fighter than denilson will ever become (if he is not already). If he can learn self-control,he will be better than scholes ever was.

Plus,by now i think the Kos critics are havin a rethink. Many think he is weak. But thats false. He looks weak,but is strong. Most expected him to falter when faced with torres in motion,but he dispossessed elnino rather calmly.He may not be able to break into attack vermalean-style,but he i think he is going to be a very reliable V5 partner.

Oh, How it feels to be a gooner
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by rasputinn(m): 8:08am On Aug 17, 2010
^^^

Would be better if AW stops listening only to himself
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 8:48am On Aug 17, 2010
yousouph:

@Dudu. Put your bet on it, we are not winning the league even if we sign a defender n goalkeeper. Not with this team.
Are you a soothsayer?
It's shocking to say this after only one match and with the transfer window still open for about 2 weeks.
So which team do you want?
Sell Rozzi, fab4,RVP, Theo,Koc,TV5 and. . . . .
get CR9,Rooney,Drogba,Kaka, Messi,Sneider,Forlan and Ozil.
That can only happen in a fantasy league competition, not in real life grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dipo2much(m): 9:32am On Aug 17, 2010
if we cater adequately for the places whr we are laggin,we can win th title. there are no guarantees tho,just like chelki n manure cant say for sure that they'll win. but if we dont make up for the lack we currently have,then we finish 3rd at best. And fab will leave,and we will have compounded a difficult situatn
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by presido1: 9:39am On Aug 17, 2010
yousouph:

You are indirectly saying that the club is cursed. We all know(Including AW and Dudu) that Arsenal ain't winning anything bar emirati cup but its too early to voice it out.

@HNIC
How far you? Where will u guys finish the season? I saw that lil Blackpool boy predict  your next result. The boi might be English version of octopus and his prediction did not go arsenal way. Fingers crossed it will come to pass.  tongue tongue tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 9:49am On Aug 17, 2010
presido1:

@HNIC
How far you? Where will u guys finish the season? I saw that lil Blackpool boy predict your next result. The boi might be English version of octopus and his prediction did not go arsenal way. Fingers crossed it will come to pass. tongue tongue tongue
My guy, I dey ooh.
I will only make predictions when the transfer window closes grin
Blackpool
We are not Wigan.
Blackpool will have their first baptism of fire.

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (100)

Arsenal Vs Chelsea (3 - 0) On 24th September 2016 / Chelsea Vs Real Madrid UCL (1 - 3) On 6th April 2022 / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.