Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62188 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 7:50pm On May 16, 2019
Hello,

I have a P0302 on my v6 Highlander..I have swapped coil, plug and injector to confirm they are fine. What else could be the problem please because am running out of ideas
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by NeyofeedNigEnt: 10:04pm On May 16, 2019
The boss.
I'm having code P2006 on my mazda3 car. I've been having the code couple of months ago without issue and I've been driving it like that.
Recently I'm now having hard starting when engine is cold, when warm it start normally and drive perfect but whenever engine is completely code it start to give hard starting problem again.
Please help

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by CHIMCO(m): 5:11pm On May 17, 2019
I want to upgrade to Honda. I was offered CRV 2003 and Honda pilot. I don't know which one to go for. Please advise.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by jrusky(m): 6:12pm On May 17, 2019
The car guru in the house do anyone know more about parthfinder 2006 is it a good SUV?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by mutiply: 8:14pm On May 17, 2019
There is noise that comes out when driving in bad roads from.the back side of the car, mechanic changed the shock only to find out its not, what could be wrong? Car is corolla 03
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 6:44pm On May 18, 2019
jceesquare:
Ogas in the house I have issues with my car A/C.
It's a Nissan Almera 1998 with the Sr20 engine.
I noticed each time I turn on the A/C, the car would find it difficult to rev hard. The RPM is slightly above 800 with A/C on and does not seem low but when you try to rev the engine it responds slowly as if the engine is under immerse load and accelerate as if it's towing something heavy.
I also noticed the A/C works or cools fine when the car is in motion or when you rev it up, but doesn't really work fine when stationary.
The car has manual transmission and runs perfect without A/C.
Pls I need help as my A/C guy does not know what to do again and is confused.

is the ac factory fitted?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 6:45pm On May 18, 2019
ojeysky:
Hello,

I have a P0302 on my v6 Highlander..I have swapped coil, plug and injector to confirm they are fine. What else could be the problem please because am running out of ideas
check the wiring going to your coils and injectors and ensure the insulation is not degraded.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 6:46pm On May 18, 2019
martyns200:
hello, what do u think of a toks yaris 2007 model in terms of maintenance and fuel consumption and is there anything i should be worried about later on?
cheaper to run than a Toyota Corolla
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 6:49pm On May 18, 2019
NeyofeedNigEnt:
The boss.
I'm having code P2006 on my mazda3 car. I've been having the code couple of months ago without issue and I've been driving it like that.
Recently I'm now having hard starting when engine is cold, when warm it start normally and drive perfect but whenever engine is completely code it start to give hard starting problem again.
Please help

There is a valve in your intake manifold that varies air intake for improved engine performance. Check your vacuum lines to ensure there is no leakage. also check the connection to the solenoid that control this manifold valve.
If all checks out you may need to remove your intake manifold and clean it up.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 6:54pm On May 18, 2019
jrusky:
The car guru in the house do anyone know more about parthfinder 2006 is it a good SUV?

It is not a bad SUV, but you need to ensure that The radiator is in good condition(or better, the radiator has been replaced.)

also confirm the gearbox is in good working condition. Check the gearbox dipstick to ensure you dont see any thing that looks like strawberry milkshake.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 8:26pm On May 18, 2019
MotorGuru:

check the wiring going to your coils and injectors and ensure the insulation is not degraded.

The kazeem rewire here did check that with his testing lamp and they checked out fine.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by jrusky(m): 9:08pm On May 18, 2019
MotorGuru:

It is not a bad SUV, but you need to ensure that The radiator is in good condition(or better, the radiator has been replaced.)

also confirm the gearbox is in good working condition. Check the gearbox dipstick to ensure you dont see any thing that looks like strawberry milkshake.

Thanks appreciated.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by NeyofeedNigEnt: 10:15pm On May 18, 2019
MotorGuru:

There is a valve in your intake manifold that varies air intake for improved engine performance. Check your vacuum lines to ensure there is no leakage. also check the connection to the solenoid that control this manifold valve.
If all checks out you may need to remove your intake manifold and clean it up.

Thank you so much Motor Guru.
I check all the vacuum lines no leakage at all and that's the only trouble code I'm getting P2006.
So I can tell my mech to remove the manifold and clean it?
Or is there any implications if I continue to use like that?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by jceesquare(m): 9:02am On May 19, 2019
MotorGuru:

is the ac factory fitted?

Yes it is.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:58am On May 20, 2019
jceesquare:

Yes it is.

Please this needs to be confirmed. However ensure your idle control valve has not been blocked and all vacuum lines are intact.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by jceesquare(m): 4:12pm On May 20, 2019
MotorGuru:

Please this needs to be confirmed. However ensure your idle control valve has not been blocked and all vacuum lines are intact.

How does a DIY confirm if the idle control valve is working?

I've checked the vacuum system myself and it looks intact.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by makazona(m): 4:54pm On May 20, 2019
I intend picking up a Toyota Camry 1999 pencil and want to know if its good with load. Cz my line of work requires carrying some kinda load.

How good is it with loads? Help guys
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by franksam2009: 8:20pm On Jun 05, 2019
jceesquare:
Ogas in the house I have issues with my car A/C.
It's a Nissan Almera 1998 with the Sr20 engine.
I noticed each time I turn on the A/C, the car would find it difficult to rev hard. The RPM is slightly above 800 with A/C on and does not seem low but when you try to rev the engine it responds slowly as if the engine is under immerse load and accelerate as if it's towing something heavy.
I also noticed the A/C works or cools fine when the car is in motion or when you rev it up, but doesn't really work fine when stationary.
The car has manual transmission and runs perfect without A/C.
Pls I need help as my A/C guy does not know what to do again and is confused.
ur compressor piston is bad due to fake compressor oil usage by ur AC technician which needs made it develop low pumping wahala causing the clutch to stiff and dragging ur engine down
Change compressor and use original tin oil, make sure you buy it yourself

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ojeysky(m): 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2019
MotorGuru:

I eliminated all that before we finally discovered that it was one of the valves that had issues after we opened up the cylinder. Car is back to normal now, though I hope the engine will remain in top shape now that it has been opened.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by luckize: 10:57pm On Jun 05, 2019
Please I get this " Check Engine" error code. Please what do I do and how much will it cost me if there is need to fix it.

P0420 – Catalytic converter system, bank 1 -efficiency below threshold
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Agbafs2005(m): 11:07pm On Jun 05, 2019
What is your take on second hand Honda city 2006 model? Common repair problems,...
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by jceesquare(m): 7:04am On Jun 06, 2019
franksam2009:
ur compressor piston is bad due to fake compressor oil usage by ur AC technician which needs made it develop low pumping wahala causing the clutch to stiff and dragging ur engine down
Change compressor and use original tin oil, make sure you buy it yourself

Thanks, changed the compressor and everything is fine now.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by laudate: 6:28pm On Jun 07, 2019
MotorGuru:
Now you see the light sir wink
Pls how does one fix the valves in a 2007 Nissan Xterra? The mechanic said the timing chain had a problem. This was replaced. Now he is saying all valves were affected and have to be replaced? I don't understand. Is he correct? How much are the valves? Any ideas?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 6:57pm On Jun 07, 2019
laudate:

Pls how does one fix the valves in a 2007 Nissan Xterra? The mechanic said the timing chain had a problem. This was replaced. Now he is saying all valves were affected and have to be replaced? I don't understand. Is he correct? How much are the valves? Any ideas?

Interference engine, timing faulty affects valves. timing chain issues were non existent in those engine year. Always ensure you use full synthetic oils for timing chain fitted engines wrong oil causes timing chain issues
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by baldwin84(m): 7:10pm On Jun 07, 2019
MotorGuru:

What oil were you using before?
A-Z
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by radautoworks: 9:16pm On Jun 07, 2019
laudate:

Valves themselves are cheap. Replacing them is expensive
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by luckize: 9:37pm On Jun 07, 2019
luckize:
Please I get this " Check Engine" error code. Please what do I do and how much will it cost me if there is need to fix it.

P0420 – Catalytic converter system, bank 1 -efficiency below threshold

??
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by laudate: 11:36pm On Jun 07, 2019
radautoworks:
Valves themselves are cheap. Replacing them is expensive
What kind of replacement costs are we talking about? Can you give a rough estimate, pls?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by laudate: 11:37pm On Jun 07, 2019
nurey:
Interference engine, timing faulty affects valves. timing chain issues were non existent in those engine year. Always ensure you use full synthetic oils for timing chain fitted engines wrong oil causes timing chain issues
Sorry... what do you mean by "interference" engine?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 5:56am On Jun 08, 2019
laudate:

Sorry... what do you mean by "interference" engine?

In simple terms an interference engine gets valves bent when the timing gives way in motion or when it is not in motion and you kick the car and engine rolls.

"valves aren't expensive but the job is" means each valve could cost you not more than 2 to 3k for quality but the job is a tough one, engine has to be brought down opened and dismantled, bent valves removed and Engine internals scrutinized for other faulty components like seals, engine block, piston damage if non then it has to be coupled back exactly with the right torque wrench for bolts grin. in other words your average Joe doesn't have the required expertise or tools for doing it. The engine though will work but won't last.

2 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by laudate: 7:24am On Jun 08, 2019
nurey:

ItIn simple terms an interference engine gets valves bent when the timing gives way in motion or when it is not in motion and you kick the car and engine rolls.

"valves aren't expensive but the job is" means each valve could cost you not more than 2 to 3k for quality but the job is a tough one, engine has to be brought down opened and dismantled, bent valves removed and Engine internals scrutinized for other faulty components like seals, engine block, piston damage if non then it has to be coupled back exactly with the right torque wrench for bolts grin. in other words your average Joe doesn't have the required expertise or tools for doing it. The engine though will work but won't last.
Wow!! Thanks for the education.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by radautoworks: 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2019
nurey:

In simple terms an interference engine gets valves bent when the timing gives way in motion or when it is not in motion and you kick the car and engine rolls.

Exactly. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (34) (Reply)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society / Volkswagen Says Goodbye To Iconic Beetle (ijapa) With This Emotional Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.